PDA

View Full Version : I-AA or CS in bowl games

Tealblood
December 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
I was just curious how many CS teams have played in Bowl games. I guess prolly none since I-AA came to exist. I was looking through my sports almanac and the ones I saw were. and yes I realize these schools were all on roughly the same footing before the scholarships were limited.

The teams I saw were:
The Citadel
Presbyterian(soon to be CS)
Bucknell
Duquesne
Fordham

I am sure I missed some but I got done with my morning constitutional and I was not taking notes and am now writing form memory.

AndrewFU21
December 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Furman beat Miami, I think in the 30's, in what was the precursor to the Orange Bowl.

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Southland Conference used to host the Independence Bowl...

McNeese did win one, if not two of these games...

mcneese
December 3rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
McNeese Beat Tulsa in 1976. :hurray: Played Syracuse in 1979 and lost 31-7 I thinkxidiotx . And lost to S.Mississippi on the last play in 1980:bang: .

Dabnus Brickey
December 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I think we should try and sell the idea of having some bowl-type games for teams that didn't make the playoffs.

YaleFootballFan
December 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
1916 Rose Bowl - Brown (lost to Washington State, 14-0)

1917 Rose Bowl - Penn (lost to Oregon, 14-0)

1920 Rose Bowl - Harvard (beat Oregon, 7-6)

1934 Rose Bowl - Columbia (beat Stanford, 7-0)

bunny
December 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Major bowl games or just any old bowl game? According to http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/delaware/bowl_history.php the Blue Hens have an 8-3 bowl record including a 31-13 victory over NC Central in the Boardwalk Bowl in 1969 (http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Boardwalk_1969.htm).

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
I was just curious how many CS teams have played in Bowl games. I guess prolly none since I-AA came to exist. I was looking through my sports almanac and the ones I saw were. and yes I realize these schools were all on roughly the same footing before the scholarships were limited.

The teams I saw were:
The Citadel
Presbyterian(soon to be CS)
Bucknell
Duquesne
Fordham

I am sure I missed some but I got done with my morning constitutional and I was not taking notes and am now writing form memory.

I think UMASS once played in the Boardwalk Bowl in Atlantic City back in the late 1960's. My feeble mind remembers that the game was indoors and in an arena that was so small (not made for football) that one endzone was only 8 yards deep. Anyone else remember that or is my mind more feeble than I think it is? :smiley_wi

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
I think we should try and sell the idea of having some bowl-type games for teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Pioneer League vs NEC already has a game (USD over Monmouth) and Grambling plays Southern every year. No need for any more in my humble opinion. I'd rather see the FCS open up to 24 or 32 teams such as you see in Div 2 and Div 3. Although, with only about 115 or so 1-AA (oops, FCS )teams, we'd have a significant watering down and too many 6-5 teams involved. 24 would give top 8 teams a bye, though, which would honor season-long achievement AND open up the field to some other deserving teams like Portland State, Cal-Poly, UMaine, ....

Tealblood
December 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I am talking about bowl games that a team is invited to. The Citadel for instance won the tangerine Bowl over Tenn Tech in 1960, the game was played on Dec.30th. The tangerine became the citrus bowl which I think is now called the CompUSA bowl.

I don't think those games you showed would count as "bowl games" they look like games that were put on the scedule. Those games look more like the kind of game it is marketed as a bowl game. Kind of like when The Citadel and VMI used to play in Norfolk in the Oyster bowl or every year Clemson and NC State play in the Textile bowl.

I do not think Furman ever played in a bowl at least not in the orange bowl, my almanac goes to the first one 1935

Kosty
December 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM
UMass played in and lost the Tangerine Bowl in 1964 to East Carolina, 14-13. They then played in and won the Boardwalk Bowl in 1972 against Cal-Davis 35-14.

saint0917
December 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM
1964 Tangerine Bowl

East Carolina- 14
Umass- 13

1972 Boardwalk Bowl

Umass- 35
Cal- Davis- 14

1978 I-AA Championship Game (Pioneer Bowl)

Florida A&M- 35
Umass- 28

saint0917
December 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM
UMass played in and lost the Tangerine Bowl in 1964 to East Carolina, 14-13. They then played in and won the Boardwalk Bowl in 1972 against Cal-Davis 35-14.

You beat me to it. :p

Tealblood
December 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
upon further review I found that I was wrong the boardwalk bowl was an invitation bowl
It was around from 1961-1973

crunifan
December 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
UNI played in the Pecan Bowl once upon a time. Not sure who won...

UAalum72
December 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
The Boardwalk Bowl was in the Atlantic City Convention Center, where they held the Miss America pageant.

1969: Delaware vs. North Carolina Central
http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Boardwalk694.jpg

GaSouthern
December 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
GSU won the "diamond bowl" twice I believe.

bkrownd
December 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
It would be much easier to ask what D-1 teams HAVEN'T been to a "bowl". There have been many dozens of "bowl" games over the last century, many of which were very very obscure, and at times teams played in more than one a year.

penguin8797
December 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Why do we want FCS bowls? Isn't that the whole point of being the FCS and not the FBS? We can't have both a playoff and bowls, unless the bowls are built into the playoffs which means taking away home game opportunities for playoff teams. If only non playoff teams are in bowls, as was suggested earlier, who would want to watch that crap? They would be vastly inferior teams in meaningless bowl games. The bayou classic is the only FCS bowl that is of any interest and that is a unique combination of tradition and rivalry that took a long time to create. Honestly look at bowls for what they are, they are pure tourism efforts. Our FCS bowl is in Chattanooga and that is enough for me.

walliver
December 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Wofford was upset by Florida State in the 1949 Cigar Bowl in Tampa.

Leo-Pard
December 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm fairly certain Lafayette was invited to the Cotton Bowl but declined the invite because the Cotton Bowl would not allow the one black player on the team to participate. I don't know the year.

OhioHen
December 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM
The Boardwalk Bowl was in the Atlantic City Convention Center, where they held the Miss America pageant.

1969: Delaware vs. North Carolina Central
http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Boardwalk694.jpg

Note the "ABC TV" mention on the end zone sign. Not anymore!! :bang: :bang: :bang: