PDA

View Full Version : Which Quarterfinal Win was Most Impressive? (POLL)

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Which Quarterfinal Win was Most Impressive?

FuturePenguin
December 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well, honestly I believe YSU over JMU was was the most impressive. You had two top teams going against each other, so we knew it would be a battle the whole time. And coming from behind to win in the 4th quarter, thats what impressed me the most.
GO 'GUINS!

chuges1
December 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
I have to go with App St. winning over us. I really thought we had a chance, but our team didnt play well. They were much tougher than i ever gave them credit for. Good luck to whoever plays them next.

GrizDen
December 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
I gotta go with Apps State over MSU. I know they were favored and have an impressive win streak at the Rock...now 26 in a row, but that QB and RB combo are top notch. They have my attention and respect.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
I think that App by 21 is the most impressive. I think all 4 teams are worthy of their Semi-Final births. I think App has the offense and defense to carry them to the title!
Go App!

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Although App overcame those turnovers impressively, I gotta go with Montana over SIU. That defense was smothering.

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
I chose Montana for similar reasons....

I thought SIU was overrated, but I thought they'd at least put up a score or two.

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I had to go with YSU-ILSU until ILSU had to score 2 fourth quarter touchdown's. 28-7 would've been so much more impressive, sadly it wasn't..

Montana was the most impressive, shutting down Whitlock is not easy!

AggieFinn
December 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Appy over the Cats. They came out and set the tone early, and w/o some mistakes it could've been a serious blowout. :nod:

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Montana's defense was amazing. SIU has been something of a scoring machine all year long and they totally stuffed them.

ASU had the biggest marigin of victory, but their offense wasn't really impressive. I think their O will be back this week, though.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
I chose Montana for similar reasons....

I thought SIU was overrated, but I thought they'd at least put up a score or two.

How is it that Montana always "lucks out" and gets the opponents that are overrated? :confused: :confused: :confused:

First, a cupcake from the Southland Conference...
Then, an overrated team from the Gateway....
Next, a cupcake from the A-10?
Then a walk in the park from the SoCon?

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

When Montana makes good teams look average or below average, suddenly they're overrated. We just stuffed a Payton finalist. But he's overrated, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
How is it that Montana always "lucks out" and gets the opponents that are overrated? :confused: :confused: :confused:

When Montana makes good teams look average or below average, suddenly they're overrated. We just stuffed a Payton finalist. But he's overrated, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think a big quesiton mark on peoples minds is your offense. If you beat UMass, I bet you people will shut up.

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
maybe we should just rank em cause most people (including me) are just voting for their favorite team

1.app (most points scored, biggest margin of victory despite several turnovers)

2.massachusetts (hardest opponent and beat them for the 2nd time this year)

3.montana (holding opponent to 3 was good but they scored the least points of any winning team and probably had the easiest game of the day out of the seeds in my opinion)

5.youngstown state (maybe most surprising but no 7pt win over illinois state is gonna impress me that much)

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
maybe we should just rank em cause most people (including me) are just voting for their favorite team

3.montana (holding opponent to 3 was good but they scored the least points of any winning team and probably had the easiest game of the day out of the seeds in my opinion)

5.youngstown state (maybe most surprising but no 7pt win over illinois state is gonna impress me that much)

so just because you scored the most points you have the most IMPRESSIVE victory. i would say you had the largest margin of victory but UMass beating UNH for the second time and holding them on 4th down is more impressive. also *homer alert* i would say that our victory over SIU is more impressive. we held a payton finalist to under 100 yards, we totally shout down the second highest scoring O in the nation. also you can look at it the simple way #1 vs. #18. #2 vs. #10.
Overall, impressive victories by everyone.

CCU97
December 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think UMass coming back to beat UNH was impressive....showed the teams guts....All of the games were good though...long time since all 4 seeds made it to the semis...

DuckDuckGriz
December 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
I think UMass coming back to beat UNH was impressive....showed the teams guts....All of the games were good though...long time since all 4 seeds made it to the semis...

Uh oh. Don't let umassfan catch you using the words "coming back." :rolleyes:

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM

I know you're thinskinned, but I truly wasn't trying to be demeaning toward Montana and I don't remember saying that you lucked out. What I was trying to imply was exactly what you said at the end. This season Montana has made good teams look average because Montana has an excellent defense. The only aspect of your team I question is the offense, and that will be why ASU beats you in the final if we both make it.

Our draw has been more favorable than yours, but we've both taken care of business. My comment was directed more at my feeling that people had built SIU up into something they weren't, which is a powerhouse team.

Don't take things so personally! :thumbsup:

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM
jesus christ that picture of the montana stadium is intimidating....luckily if we play them in the national championship there should be slightly more app fans cause chattanooga is only like 5hrs away

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
When you look at the poll results... it just proves its a very homerish poll... app fans voting for app... griz fans voting for griz ysu fans for ysu and umass fans for umass. Looks like a waste of space.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
I dont know if anyone noticed how UMass shut UNH down in the second half. UNH scored ZERO points. Now if we played that second half with the first games first half... xlolx

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
I know you're thinskinned, but I truly wasn't trying to be demeaning toward Montana and I don't remember saying that you lucked out. What I was trying to imply was exactly what you said at the end. This season Montana has made good teams look average because Montana has an excellent defense. The only aspect of your team I question is the offense, and that will be why ASU beats you in the final if we both make it.

Our draw has been more favorable than yours, but we've both taken care of business. My comment was directed more at my feeling that people had built SIU up into something they weren't, which is a powerhouse team.

Don't take things so personally! :thumbsup:

Dude, I'm not thin skinned. I actually think its hilarious. MT goes 10-1, it's because we're in a mediocre conference. We spank McNeese state, it's because they're a cupcake. We shut down SIU, it's because they're overrated. Just gets old, that's all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM

UMASS managed to do something NO ONE (including Northwestern this year & Rutgers two years ago) has ever done and that is shut down Ricky Santos AND David Ball. I think that is as impressive as the fact that they beat a quality opponent twice within a month. Ball and Santos had hooked up for something like 9 TD passes in 4 previous UMASS games, but NADA yesterday. If you look at the effort objectively, you have to be impressed (even if you are a confirmed "UMASS Hater":D as all of us in Wildcat Nation have been for the last 35+ years (in a good rivalrous way, of course :thumbsup: ) Will be a great game this Friday night. Good luck to both teams....

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
UMASS managed to do something NO ONE (including Northwestern this year & Rutgers two years ago) has ever done and that is shut down Ricky Santos AND David Ball. I think that is as impressive as the fact that they beat a quality opponent twice within a month. Ball and Santos had hooked up for something like 9 TD passes in 4 previous UMASS games, but NADA yesterday. If you look at the effort objectively, you have to be impressed (even if you are a confirmed "UMASS Hater":D as all of us in Wildcat Nation have been for the last 35+ years (in a good rivalrous way, of course :thumbsup: ) Will be a great game this Friday night. Good luck to both teams....

& for all you Griz fans, remember that when you kicked UNH's butt two years ago at Wa-Griz, UNH was a newbie to the pressure of the playoffs after several down years AND sophomore David Ball had broken his ankle the week before vs Ga Southern and freshman Rickie Santos was still maturing (something to which the Montana blow-out contributed a lot)

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
& for all you Griz fans, remember that when you kicked UNH's butt two years ago at Wa-Griz, UNH was a newbie to the pressure of the playoffs after several down years AND sophomore David Ball had broken his ankle the week before vs Ga Southern and freshman Rickie Santos was still maturing (something to which the Montana blow-out contributed a lot)
Rickie Santos that season and Rickie Santos over the past two seasons are two totally different guys. He improved leaps and bounds from his freshman season to his sophmore season.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Rickie Santos that season and Rickie Santos over the past two seasons are two totally different guys. He improved leaps and bounds from his freshman season to his sophmore season.

That's funny. Josh Swogger of the past 2 games and Josh Swogger from earlier in the season are two different guys. What a coincidence. ;) ;) :eyebrow:

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM

Didn't he lead the nation this year in leaps and bounds? xlolx

grizfan86
December 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
App. St. was the most impressive to me. Beating the Cats like that is something to pay attention to. Kramer folded, and he doesn't usually do that. If we get past UMASS, this title game will be a game for the ages. App. will not be able to run on us, we will not be able to pass or run on them. This is a great season!!!! I love playoff Football!!!!!

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
That's funny. Josh Swogger of the past 2 games and Josh Swogger from earlier in the season are two different guys. What a coincidence. ;) ;) :eyebrow:
Yes but has he faced a defense that will blitz him from every poss on the field?

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Yes but has he faced a defense that will blitz him from every poss on the field?

Well, lets see:

Total Offense Rank:
Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties
16 Massachusetts 13 755 4925 6.52 48 378.85 12 1 0
17 Montana 13 899 4882 5.43 43 375.54 12 1 0

Total Defense Rank:

6 Montana 13 785 3269 4.16 23 251.46 12 1 0
16 Massachusetts 13 792 3519 4.44 20 270.69 12 1 0

Somehow, we manage to squeek out 375 ypg, even with that pourous offensive line. :thumbsup: xcoffeex xcoffeex

now lets see if anybody catches the irony of me comparing stats across conferences....

putter
December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM

Actually yes he has. Weber St., Idaho St., Portland St. all blitzed over 50% of the time. That is why he was sacked over 40 times this year. Young O Line and a new QB trying to learn the system but with UMass's talent they will undoubtedly get to Josh but will the blitzing lead to some open receivers?

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Actually yes he has. Weber St., Idaho St., Portland St. all blitzed over 50% of the time. That is why he was sacked over 40 times this year. Young O Line and a new QB trying to learn the system but with UMass's talent they will undoubtedly get to Josh but will the blitzing lead to some open receivers?

Yeah, but all those teams are overrated, putter. :D :D :D

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Well, lets see:

Total Offense Rank:
16 Massachusetts 13 755 4925 6.52 48 378.85 12 1 0
17 Montana 13 899 4882 5.43 43 375.54 12 1 0

Total Defense Rank:

6 Montana 13 785 3269 4.16 23 251.46 12 1 0
16 Massachusetts 13 792 3519 4.44 20 270.69 12 1 0

Somehow, we manage to squeek out 375 ypg, even with that pourous offensive line. :thumbsup: xcoffeex xcoffeex

now lets see if anybody catches the irony of me comparing stats across conferences....

Why dont we check out the Scoring offense and defense for both teams. UMass leads in both.

umassfan
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but all those teams are overrated, putter. :D :D :D
That and they dont have the speed or talent UMass does. You will see come friday.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I voted for Montana because of the way they shut down Whitlock. I mean, the guy is a Payton finalist for a reason. This game, from what I could tell watching scores, was never in doubt.

Watching the ASU-MSU game it looked like MSU was the 7-4 team that everybody questioned getting in to the playoffs. Granted, ASU helped them look like that, but they didn't help them call a fake punt or WR reverse pass. Nothing away from ASU, but MSU shot themselves in the foot multiple times. So, ASU's win was impressive (any quarterfinal playoff win is), but just not the most impressive.

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 12:18 PM
When you look at the poll results... it just proves its a very homerish poll... app fans voting for app... griz fans voting for griz ysu fans for ysu and umass fans for umass. Looks like a waste of space.

Not true. I voted for Montana's win over SIU because I felt SIU had a great offense and got shut down....

A case could be made for all 4 games. App State crushes an oppenent, YSU beats conference rival and team that they beat just a few weeks ago, and Umass beats a conference rival and a team they beat just a few weeks ago..

I don't think everyone votes for their team....

YSUalum

fencer24
December 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM

You gotta love a gambler. Course you also have to remember - The House (WA-Griz) always wins.

:hurray:

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Not true. I voted for Montana's win over SIU because I felt SIU had a great offense and got shut down....

A case could be made for all 4 games. App State crushes an oppenent, YSU beats conference rival and team that they beat just a few weeks ago, and Umass beats a conference rival and a team they beat just a few weeks ago..

I don't think everyone votes for their team....

YSUalum

Yeah, I didn't vote as a homer either. I bet some people did though. The results won't be completely reliable, but that doesn't matter because it won't be used for anything.

I wonder if this is thread/poll is similar to the BCS selection process. xlolx :p I kid, I kid.

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't vote as a homer either. I bet some people did though. The results won't be completely reliable, but that doesn't matter because it won't be used for anything.

I wonder if this is thread/poll is similar to the BCS selection process. xlolx :p I kid, I kid.

No, but apparently Montana's win over SIU looks better and better as the week goes on, because we were behind in the beginning.....at this rate, by Friday, we'll be in the Fiesta Bowl!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
December 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Why dont we check out the Scoring offense and defense for both teams. UMass leads in both.

Perhaps you didn't catch the JOKE there, umassfan. Comparing stats across conferences is worthless, in my opinion, because there are NO COMMON OPPONENTS.

My post was merely a ploy to get you to show your homerism. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: