PDA

View Full Version : Sound off about your local press using I-AA

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
I guess it should come as no suprise we still have newspapers/TV stations using the I-AA name.

I picked up the Charlotte observer this morning and found Ron Green using it on page 8C. (the article about App ST.)
Hey, Mr. C! get those NC colleagues of yours to get it right!

I called the USA Today "correction number" on Friday when I ran across it there.

Anyone else catching the old name in the press today?

December 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Dateline Alabama - Birmingham,AL,USA
... touchdowns and defending national champion Appalachian State beat
Montana State 38-17 on Saturday to reach the semifinals of the NCAA
Division I-AA playoffs. ...
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061202/APS/612023258&cachetime=3&template=dateline

Illinois St., Southern Ill. fall in I-AA quarterfinals
Chicago Tribune - United States
Host Youngstown State took advantage of four Illinois State turnovers to
win 28-21 Saturday and advance to the semifinals of the Division I-AA
playoffs. ...
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-0612030158dec03,1,5181828.story?coll=cs-college-print

Richardson, ASU pull away in 4th
FayObserver.com - Fayetteville NC,USA
... records to his resume Saturday, scoring four touchdowns and rushing for
135 yards in the Mountaineers’ 38-17 second-round Division I-AA playoff
victory over ...
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=248538

BDK@YSU
December 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Youngstown Vindicator
http://blogs.vindy.com/news/2006/12/02/onward-%e2%80%94-ysu-wins/

"The No. 4 seeded Penguins came up with four interceptions and the running game was back in form, as the Penguins pulled off a 28-21 victory over Illinois State before 10,813 fans Saturday in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Series quarterfinals."

Warren Tribune-Chronicle
http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/Sports/articles.asp?articleID=11917

"YSU held off a fourth-quarter comeback by the Redbirds and moved on to the semifinals of the Division I Football Championship Series with a 28-21 victory at Stambaugh Stadium."

My take: those who care will use the new terminology. Those who don't, won't.

Col Hogan
December 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/12/03/upset_bid_batted_away_by_minutemen/

Boston Globe still refers to 1-AA. Their sports department opens at 2pm today, I'm going to call and see what they say.

appheel
December 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
I picked up the Charlotte observer this morning and found Ron Green using it on page 8C. (the article about App ST.)

I'm not surprised. Personally, I think the Observer has one of the worst sports pages I have ever read.

GrizDen
December 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
The Missoulian is still calling it the I-AA Playoffs...which is surprising as Montana prides itself on being educated on all things associated with our level of football.

Hopefully everyone gets educated correctly about the new name real soon and it will start to sound more normal...the Football Championship Subdivision just doesn't role off the tongue.

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
I think its ridiculous to be making such a big deal about it. IF next season they still saying I-AA then complain, but I think it was totally stupid of the NCAA to change it mid season, it should have been implimented before next season started.

cats2506
December 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
not local but

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball

CBS Sports line still lists
College Playoffs Division I-AA | Division II | Division III

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think its ridiculous to be making such a big deal about it. IF next season they still saying I-AA then complain, but I think it was totally stupid of the NCAA to change it mid season, it should have been implimented before next season started.

I agree the timing could have been better; but it seems the NCAA could do a better job of interpretation as well if the name change is happening now.

December 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Even the NCAA conflicts with itself:
SCORES AT A GLANCE
FBS · FCS · Div. II · Div. III
http://ncaasports.com/

Football Brackets
FCS | Div. II | Div. III
http://www.ncaasports.com/fallchamps/media/2006

Championship Information
Div I-AA · Div II · Div III
2006: 29th ANNUAL DIVISION I-AA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/schedules

Bowl Subdivision
Championship Subdivision
CHAMPIONSHIP HOST Division I - University of Tennessee Chattanooga
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens

appman87
December 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
I can't stand football championship subdivision. I-aa at least sounds better even though it's really always been a subdivision.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
This is funny on so many levels...

Listening to the local radio on the way to the Gridiron Classic... announcer using a suspensful tone...

"It is a big day for New Jersey football with two huge games being played today... the first is over at Kessler Field in West Long Branch, we have Monmouth playing the San Diego Toreros for the Division I-AA National Championship... this is a very big game for the Hawks and if they win... it will really make a statement.

What the heck is Torero? Does anybody even know?" :rolleyes: Uh, look at their logo smart guy...

xlolx xlolx

MTGrizzFan
December 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM

i agree

NDSUFREAK
December 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe this was explained earlier, but why was the name changed? Guess I never got why it was.

Old Cat Fan
December 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Todays Boston Herald

Big crowd, big game, big plays by UMass
By Steve Buckley
Boston Herald General Sports Columnist

Sunday, December 3, 2006 - Updated: 10:52 AM EST

AMHERST - A year from now, the UMass football team faces the uphill battle of a Bay State showdown against Boston College. It will be the Division 1-AA, little-train-that-could program from the rural west facing the powerful, big-time Division 1-A program from the city, and the experts will say the Minutemen don’t have a chance.

http://sports.bostonherald.com/college/football/view.bg?articleid=170204

UMass922
December 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
This is funny on so many levels...

Listening to the local radio on the way to the Gridiron Classic... announcer using a suspensful tone...

"It is a big day for New Jersey football with two huge games being played today... the first is over at Kessler Field in West Long Branch, we have Monmouth playing the San Diego Toreros for the Division I-AA National Championship... this is a very big game for the Hawks and if they win... it will really make a statement."

That's beyond hilarious.

December 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe this was explained earlier, but why was the name changed? Guess I never got why it was.From the NCAA:
What is the reason for the change?

The I-A, I-AA and I-AAA designations were confusing and as a result, misapplied by the public, boosters and media when referring not only to their football programs (e.g., I-AA basketball). Additionally, due to the greater awareness of specific conferences and schools, the I-A label was rarely emphasized by the I-A membership, which only caused greater confusion about the I-AA classification.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
The Missoulian is still calling it the I-AA Playoffs...which is surprising as Montana prides itself on being educated on all things associated with our level of football.

Hopefully everyone gets educated correctly about the new name real soon and it will start to sound more normal...the Football Championship Subdivision just doesn't role off the tongue.

I think the problem is that the new nomenclature is unwieldy and causes a lot more confusion than it clears up. I was thinking that I was watching the Montana State/Appalachian State game Saturday and they used the reference, provided explanations, etc. I don't know what the perfect solution to the problem of not recognizing I-AA as "Division I" was, but I don't think this is going to be it.

I-AA Fan
December 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I have absolutely no issue with it. In fact, I would encourage media to use I-AA. You cannot change one week, and expect people to understand. So, you go with what people know ...then work the change in over the off-season. Just simple common sense. The change was idiotic to begin with, and the timing was more so. Even worse is to read how many "supposed" fans of the former I-AA so happy to see the DI designation removed from their classification.

th0m
December 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
I-AA Fan, I think you need to change your username there ;)

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
I-AA Fan, I think you need to change your username there ;)

silly th0m he's a fan of the I-AA:smiley_wi

th0m
December 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Then we need a CS Fan, and the two of them should play beer pong to see which name will prevail :D

Death Dealer
December 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well add the Greenville News to the list of non-converts. Of course, the Anderson Independent didn't even mention the playoffs even exist, not sure the idiot sports editor even knows it does.

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
With all the bashing of media outlets about the name being used, I thought I would point out that the Portsmouth (NH) Herald is on top of things.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/12022006/sports-unhhonors122.html

DURHAM -- University of New Hampshire junior quarterback Ricky Santos, senior wide receiver David Ball and senior offensive lineman Tucker Peterson have been named to the All-New England Division I Championship Subdivision team.

He is a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the top player in Division I CS

Ball, who broke Jerry Rice's Division I CS career touchdown reception record on Oct. 7, was also named to the All-New England team for the third time. He has 87 catches for 1,060 yards and 13 touchdowns this season and was invited to play in the Hula Bowl on Jan. 14 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

UNH plays at Massachusetts today in the Division I CS quarterfinals

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
While I'm all in favor of journalistic accuracy, even inaccurate press coverage is better than no press coverage!:twocents:

Sooner or later, they'll get it right.

chiapet9
December 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
While I'm all in favor of journalistic accuracy, even inaccurate press coverage is better than no press coverage!:twocents:

Sooner or later, they'll get it right.

Amen! I had a fight with the sports editor of the Daily Press (Newport News, VA) because of their lack of coverage of JMU. absolutely ridiculous...they can say I-AA all they want if they would just cover the darn games!

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

People are still calling it 1-AA?? :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

So am I, the new name is stupid, a sub-division is a housing term.

December 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Success prompts look at stadium, coach pay
Sioux Falls Argus Leader - Sioux Falls,SD,USA
In only its third season of NCAA Division I-AA football, South Dakota State
came within one victory of its highest win total since 1979 and its first
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061204/NEWS/612040332/1001

UAalum72
December 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Success prompts look at stadium, coach pay
Sioux Falls Argus Leader - Sioux Falls,SD,USA
In only its third season of NCAA Division I-AA football, South Dakota State
came within one victory of its highest win total since 1979 and its first
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061204/NEWS/612040332/1001
What's the problem? It wasn't FCS until after the regular season, was it?

I did like the article saying SDSU's stadium is "unique as the only open-air stadium that houses a Division I-AA scholarship program in North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska. " Exactly how many I-AA/FCS programs do those states add?

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Is the name change retroactive? Because retroactive name changes always turn out to be pretty funny sooner or later.

Richard Petty Won Nextel Cup Championships in 1964, '67, '71, '72, '74, '75, and '79. When Cup officials presented him with the trophy each year, he always asked "what the heck is Nextel?"

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
The new name is as useless as the penny

UNHWildCats
December 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Yes I would assume the name is retroactive. Past champions will now be refered to as Division I football Champions not I-AA National Champions

December 4th, 2006, 03:56 PM
All from:
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?fr=yalerts-keyword&c=&p=%22I-AA%22&ei=utf-8

Richardson's 4 TDs have Appalachian St. in I-AA semis
ESPN - Dec 02 5:31 PM
Saturday's roundup of I-AA quarterfinal action.

STATE FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Salukis kept on a leash, fall in I-AA quarterfinals
Chicago Sun-Times - Dec 03 2:20 AM
Josh Swogger passed for 230 yards and two touchdowns to Craig Chambers, and Montana's defense allowed Southern Illinois past midfield only twice in a 20-3 NCAA Division I-AA quarterfinal victory Saturday in Missoula, Mont.

Redbirds, Salukis knocked out of I-AA playoffs
The Springfield News-Leader - Dec 03 12:58 AM
Youngstown, Ohio -- Tom Zetts threw for two touchdowns and ran for another and Youngstown State withstood a fourth-quarter rally to beat Illinois State 28-21 in a Division I-AA quarterfinal Saturday night.

Appalachian State 38, Montana State 17: Appalachian State advances in I-AA playoffs
The Charlotte Observer - Dec 02 5:37 PM
Kevin Richardson rushed for 131 yards and four touchdowns and defending national champion Appalachian State beat Montana State 38-17 on Saturday to reach the semifinals of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

Div. I-AA Playoffs: Grizzlies stymie the Salukis' offense
St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Dec 02 10:32 PM
The University of Montana did something no team has been able to do in recent weeks: hold Arkee Whitlock and the Southern Illinois University Carbondale football team in check.

Roundup: Appalachian State, Grand Valley keeps rolling in playoffs
USA Today - Dec 03 2:10 PM
Defending champion Appalachian State became the first top seed to reach the NCAA I-AA semifinals by running past Montana State 38-17 at home Saturday behind four touchdowns from Kevin Richardson. Defending champions Grand Valley and Mount Union stayed alive in the Division II and III playoffs.

Griz playoff game set for Friday
Billings Gazette - Dec 04 8:13 AM
MISSOULA - The Division I-AA semifinal playoff game between the No. 3 University of Massachusetts Minutemen and the No. 2 Montana Grizzlies has been set for Friday night in Missoula.
Save

Penguins to meet Appalachian State
The Tribune Chronicle - Dec 03 9:55 PM
YOUNGSTOWN — For the first time in seven years, the Youngstown State football team will be making an appearance in a Division I-AA national semifinal playoff game.

COMMENT ON SIU AT MONTANA
The Southern Illinoisan - Dec 03 8:30 PM
Who's going to win Saturday's NCAA Division I-AA playoff game between Southern Illinois and Montana?

DIV I-AA PLAYOFFS: `It's still fun' for ASU
The Charlotte Observer - Dec 02 4:24 AM
Appalachian State football coach Jerry Moore stood on the practice field this week as darkness descended on the mountain and could see groups of his players still working after he had blown the whistle to call it a day.

Scoreboard: College Football
Billings Gazette - Dec 04 8:11 AM
Monday, December 4, 2006 NCAA Div I-AA PlayoffsAll Times MST Semifinals Friday, Dec. 8 Massachusetts (12-1) at Montana (12-1), 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 9 Youngstown State (11-2) at Appalachian State (12-1), 2 p.m.

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
What the heck is the NCAA thinking by changing the name. 1-AA was so easy to say but now they want something that just doesn't roll off the tongue..

Marketing guys..get a grip.

YSUalum

December 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM
... 1-AA was so easy to say but now they want something that just doesn't roll off the tongue...:rolleyes: even you misspelled it in your post and every day press got it wrong. If you have a name that people butcher at least change it to one that has Championship in it. :nod:

Footix
December 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Could we just change subdivision to series or something a bit simpler? The big problem is that writers don't want to clog their articles with three words when they could just write I-AA. Just think about the differences here:
1) Appalachian State beat Coastal Carolina in a first round Football Championship Subdivision contest at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, N.C. on Saturday.
Compare that to:
2) Appalachian State beat Coastal Carolina in a first round I-AA contest at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, N.C. on Saturday.
These are obviously not the full first graphs to a story but the verbage was a lot simpler.

Col Hogan
December 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Latest from the Boston Globe...they now acknowledge that a change has happened...interesting reaction from UMass Atletic department.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2006/12/05/with_postseason_here_dont_call_it_div_1_aa/

iguerin
December 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Guys, thought I would chime here to give you a little insight as to why this thing is taking so long. We've already had a couple discussions about it at the paper.
As for why the NCAA would wait until the week of the playoffs to try to implement something like this, who knows. Pretty moronic in my mind -- although not much anyone can do about it.

But here's the deal: Papers try to find some level of consistency. We have in-house style guides, design guides and, of course, the Associated Press Style guide.
Currently, the AP is still sending over a majority, if not all, of its copy from the FCS playoffs with the current I-AA/I-A style. It's nearly impossible for papers to change all of those. It often bulks up graphs and sentences and kills the flow of a story. Then, when you consider what adding 10-15 characters does to agate pages, it just isn't feasible.
You can't change some of it without changing all of it (going back to the consistency thing).
Yes, some papers have gone ahead and changed the format; but obviously (as this thread indicates) a good number haven't. Honestly, you guys are going to waste a lot of time trying to "sound off" about local papers not making the change for some while.
Next season, it might be a different story. For now, though, this is sort of what we're dealing with.
Not much can be done.

IaaScribe
December 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Ditto what guerin said.

December 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, never knew changing I-AA championships to D-I championships was so difficult.

IaaScribe
December 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Ralph, here's the honest problem:

You get 15 inches to write a football story. If you start referencing James Madison and write I-CS school James Madison instead of I-AA James Madison, there are going to be a lot of people who have no freaking clue what that means. So then you have to spend a lot of words explaining what a Division I Championship Series school is. That takes up space and lends to confusion, especially when we've used I-AA all year.

You don't want to have to explain what that name change is in every story.

Changing it in midseason wasn't a smart move.

aust42
December 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Talk about explaining the name change. I was watching the 1st round of the 1AA, I mean the Division 1 Championship series at my local sports bar, and I ended up giving a seminar to a circle of friends on what it all meant and why the name change. It's just confusing to the non 1-AA alumnus sports fan. It was easier just saying in college there are four levels of competition as opposed to all other sports. I for one wish 1-AA was still the official name.

Kill'em
December 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The name change is dumb, the argument is dumber. I don't care what the media calls it. Hell, most people refer to us as Division II. If they vcan't figure out I-AA was Division I, then do you think calling us the "Football Championship Subdivision" will make them think we are Division I? :twocents:

Husky Alum
December 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Latest from the Boston Globe...they now acknowledge that a change has happened...interesting reaction from UMass Atletic department.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2006/12/05/with_postseason_here_dont_call_it_div_1_aa/

In the hard copy issue of the paper, there was an article talking about the name change, and the article right above it consistently referred to the UMass-UNH game as a Division 1 (NOT I)-AA semi final.

Good to see the Globe is on top of things in terms of consistency.

December 7th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Loud and proud in Griz land
The Missoulian - Missoula,MT,USA
... Montana campus. It figures that the crowd for the second-ranked Montana
Grizzlies' I-AA semifinal game with No. 3 Massachusetts ...
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/12/07/sports/sports03.txt

School enjoys benefits in I-AA
FayObserver.com - Fayetteville NC,USA
... and construction project in the works, it’s no wonder school
administrators have at least considered the idea of moving from Division
I-AA to Division IA (or ...
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=248826

December 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM
The name change is dumb, the argument is dumber. I don't care what the media calls it. Hell, most people refer to us as Division II. If they vcan't figure out I-AA was Division I, then do you think calling us the "Football Championship Series" will make them think we are Division I? :twocents:xlolx xlolx

I know it takes some getting used to...

We play in the NCAA DIVISION I FCS (Football Championship Subdivision)
Our tournament is called the NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Our bigger brethren in D-I play in the NCAA DIVISION I FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision)
The FBS does not have a tournament and no champion.

There is no other Division I football championship other than from the FCS... the BCS one is sponsored by some commercial entity and is not recognized by the NCAA. That is FACT, not smack.

HiHiYikas
December 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Google "anygivensaturday," and...

AnyGivenSaturday.com
I-AA College Football. This is a discussion forum for I-AA College Football.
www.anygivensaturday.com/ - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

December 8th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Google "anygivensaturday," and...

AnyGivenSaturday.com
I-AA College Football. This is a discussion forum for I-AA College Football.
www.anygivensaturday.com/ - 41k - Cached - Similar pages Yeah seems Google hasn't crawled us lately plus we are in the midst of switching servers...

GrizFoo
December 8th, 2006, 01:01 AM
You don't want to have to explain what that name change is in every story.

And I don't want to have to read the explaination in every story!

Finally someone who gets it.

I didn't realize how overly sensitive some people are to this I-AA->FCS change. I give all local media a pass until conference play next year.

Honestly, to expect the entire country to change the day after the regular season ends, when the season is still rolling because of the playoffs, is freakin ridiculous, and quite petty...IMHO.

I like the topic, and my sound off is: At this point of the season, who cares what local media sources use.

BTW, using "1-AA" was/is pretty annoying, I agree, but it is hardly butchering "I-AA", as someone put it.

December 8th, 2006, 01:34 AM
seeing as how I received at least 30+ emails from the NCAA since August of the upcoming name change ... it is amazing that some supposedly "legit" media has flubbed it.

GrizFoo
December 8th, 2006, 04:12 AM
I don't think it is a matter of flubbing it, certainly not in all cases. Depending on what exactly you mean by flubbing. :cool:

I-AA is ingrained. Those who write about I-AA(now FCS) are writing to varied audiences. I'd bet some writers, editors, whoever, are not so much fubbing it as they are just speaking to their audience using a commonly used term that both know exactly meaning of. Not everybody who is a fan of I-AA(now FCS)xcoffeex football is the hard core "trekkie" version.

Sure some media just plain doesn't know what the hell they are talking about and you can pick them out by other litter on the page, but I think most who still are using I-AA know exactly what they are doing when they use I-AA as opposed to the technically correct FCS. But, I'm cutting them plenty of slack, given that, to me, this is the last season of I-AA football, including the playoffs.

We are watching the Div. I Football Championship, but it has been I-AA (league/classification) we have been playing in all year long, I'm sticking with it (mostly) thru the playoffs, even if it is technically incorrect in some cases.

Death Dealer
December 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hey, I'm just glad when my local media even acknowledges that we exist...I-AA, 1-AA, FCS, whatever. Beats reading about the latest exploits of the "Ship of Fools" up in Clemson on every page of the sports section.

IaaScribe
December 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I-AA is ingrained. Those who write about I-AA(now FCS) are writing to varied audiences. I'd bet some writers, editors, whoever, are not so much fubbing it as they are just speaking to their audience using a commonly used term that both know exactly meaning of. Not everybody who is a fan of I-AA(now FCS)xcoffeex football is the hard core "trekkie" version.

Precisely what I was trying to say. Excellent post.

When I wrote the wrapup for Liberty's season, I noted that the Flames had made as big a turnaround as any team in the DI Championship Subdivision. Didn't explain it any further because the audience I was writing to was a CS audience.

But when our Virginia Tech writer referenced James Madison in a story, he wrote I-AA James Madison because he didn't want to have to try to explain what the heck a CS team was in a story geared toward an audience of Hokie fans.

I think we (in the press) should make a concerted effort to use the correct terminology next season, but the late season switch made it difficult to get everyone on the same page immediately.

bisonguy
December 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Oh My!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=991

Messageboards/Chats
AnyGivenSaturday.com: The best all-around I-AA Messageboards

I-AA News and Columnists
I-AA.org: David Coulson, Kent Schmidt, Chuck Burton, Michael James, Eric Gemunder [his website], I-AA WAVES
The Sports Network: Matt Dougherty

I-AA Newspaper Links

December 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Are these teams twins, or what?
Great Falls Tribune - Great Falls,MT,USA
... They also give up just under two touchdowns a game, best in all of I-AA
football. In the other corner, we've got the UM Grizzlies ...
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061208/SPORTS/612080339

December 10th, 2006, 06:26 PM
UMass Advances To Div I-AA National Title Game
CBS4Boston - Boston,USA
(CBS4) BOSTON The UMass Minutemen advanced to their first Division I AA
National Championship game since 1998 with a 19-17 win at Montana on Friday
night. ...
http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_343193132.html

Youngstown State bounced in I-AA semi
Canton Repository (subscription) - Canton,OH,USA
... another score as defending national champion Appalachian State beat
Youngstown State 49-24 on Saturday at Boone, NC, to reach the NCAA Division
I-AA title game ...
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=323974

Appalachian State runs on to I-AA championship game
Greensboro News Record - Greensboro,NC,USA
By David Coulson. BOONE -- Appalachian State had been waiting all year to
earn another trip to the national championship game and ...
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061210/NEWSREC0105/612100324

Defending champ Appalachian State gains I-AA final
Houston Chronicle - United States
... and threw for another score and defending national champion Appalachian
State beat Youngstown State 49-24 on Saturday to reach the NCAA Division
I-AA title game ...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4391520.html

Appy State, Raiders return to I-AA finals
Allentown Morning Call - Allentown,PA,USA
... Edwards ran for 110 yards and three touchdowns and threw for another
score to help defending national champion Appalachian State return to the
I-AA title game. ...
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-fbc-playoffsdec10,0,5189141.story?coll=all-sportscollege-hed

Yahoo! Alerts
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?fr=yalerts-keyword&c=&p=%22I-AA%22&ei=utf-8

Appalachian State rolls into I-AA final with rout of Youngstown State
USA Today Sat, 09 Dec 2006 9:45 PM PST
Armanti Edwards ran for 110 yards and three touchdowns and threw for another score and defending national champion Appalachian State beat Youngstown State 49-24 on Saturday to reach the NCAA Division I-AA title game.

Massachusetts shades Montana in Div. I-AA semifinal
USA Today Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:06 PM PST
Massachusetts edged Montana 19-17 on Friday to advance to advance to the NCAA Division I-AA title game. Steve Baylark ran for 169 yards, caught five passes and scored two touchdowns for UMass, which will face either Appalachian State or Youngstown State for the championship.

Appalachian State reaches I-AA final
Baltimore Sun Sun, 10 Dec 2006 6:20 AM PST
Armanti Edwards ran for 110 yards and three touchdowns and threw for another score and defending national champion Appalachian State beat visiting Youngstown State, 49-24, yesterday to reach the NCAA Division I-AA title game.

UMass football shocks Montana in Division I-AA semis
Northwest Indiana Times Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:15 PM PST
MISSOULA, Mont. | Steve Baylark scored two touchdowns in the first half and Massachusetts controlled the clock in the second half in the Minutemen's 19-17 victory over Montana on Friday night in the NCAA Division I-AA semifinals.

Appalachian State advances to I-AA final
Kansas City Star Sun, 10 Dec 2006 0:34 AM PST
Appalachian State rode the arm and legs of freshman Armanti Edwards into the NCAA Division I-AA title game.

UMass Advances To Div I-AA National Title Game
CBS 4 Boston Sat, 09 Dec 2006 4:45 PM PST
The UMass Minutemen advanced to their first Division I AA National Championship game since 1998 with a 19-17 win at Montana on Friday night. More Boston Sports News

I-AA SEMIFINAL: APPALACHIAN STATE 49, YOUNGSTOWN STATE 24: ASU wins shot at 2nd title
The Charlotte Observer Sun, 10 Dec 2006 5:50 AM PST
Not far away in the cold mountain night, pieces of one goal post were being carried across the Appalachian State campus by students celebrating the top-ranked Mountaineers' overpowering 49-24 semifinal playoff victory over Youngstown State on Saturday in Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Appalachian State gets in position to defend I-AA title
ESPN Sat, 09 Dec 2006 5:18 PM PST
Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.

Appy State, Raiders return to I-AA finals
The Morning Call Sun, 10 Dec 2006 0:37 AM PST
The bigger the game, the more yardage Nate Kmic piles up.

Youngstown State bounced in I-AA semi
The Canton Repository Sun, 10 Dec 2006 2:57 AM PST
Armanti Edwards ran for 110 yards and three touchdowns and threw for another score as defending national champion Appalachian State beat Youngstown State 49-24 on Saturday at Boone, N.C., to reach th...

MrEvents
December 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for writing.

Our paper’s decision is to call it Division I-AA until next year to avoid confusion. It started the season with that name, and in our eyes, it’s going to finish that way. We will call it the Championship Subdivision beginning with next season.

Again, this was the paper’s decision, not mine. If you have any questions, feel free to write or call any time. Thanks again.

--
Wesley Rucker
Sportswriter — The Chattanooga Times Free Press
400 E. 11th St.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
(423)757-6268

December 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
... Our paper’s decision is to call it Division I-AA until next year to avoid confusion. It started the season with that name, and in our eyes, it’s going to finish that way. We will call it the Championship Subdivision beginning with next season... The Chattanooga Times Free Press...:confused: :( : smh :

The newspaper of the host city of the D-I Football Championship is calling it I-AA despite what the NCAA sez? Wow, what a kick in the face. Talk about CONFUSION???? Why don't they take a look at the field, the program, the merchandise, etc.? None of them say I-AA but the newspaper purposely does, creating confusion? :nonono2: Are they refusing to use the new logo too???

December 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Don't call Wesley, email his bosses. What a laughingstock!

Sports Editor Jay Greeson [email protected]
News Editor Rick Moore [email protected]
News Managing Editor Larry Henry [email protected]
Publisher/Executive Editor Tom Griscom [email protected]
President Dan Nausley [email protected]

http://www.tfponline.com/epaper/templates/contact.asp

Check_YOSEF
December 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Mountaineers headed to title game
by Keith Jarrett, [email protected]
published December 10, 2006 12:15 am
Reader Feedback: Comment on this article | Register here
Appalachian State offense dominated Youngstown State
BOONE — On a steep, snowy bank at one end of Kidd Brewer Stadium on Saturday, children gleefully rolled and slid toward the end zone, gliding downhill with ease.

AdvertisementThe Appalachian State offense did much the same thing on the road to Chattanooga, bulldozing over Youngstown State, 49-24, in the semifinal round of the Football Championship Subdivision.

Operating at a near flawless pace, true freshman quarterback Armanti Edwards finished with 274 total yards and accounted for four touchdowns to move ASU into its second straight national championship game Friday against Massachusetts.

The top-seeded Mountaineers (13-1) will have the opportunity to win back-to-back national titles in an 8 p.m. kickoff in Chattanooga vs. No. 3 seed UMass (13-1).

Thousands among the postseason record crowd of 18,040 stormed the field after the final horn to tear down the goal posts and celebrate ASU’s 13th straight win this season and 27th consecutive victory at home.

“What a great atmosphere tonight,” said ASU coach Jerry Moore. “This feels just like last year, and we have an opportunity to play for another national championship. This team has a passion or playing.”

ASU seized control early and never let the fourth-seeded Penguins (11-3) mount a serious threat. Just two minutes into the second period, the Mountaineers’ edge in total offense was 223-10 and the lead was 14-0.

Edwards became the fifth player and second freshman in NCAA history to have at least 2,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing in the same season.

The 165-pound lefthander completed 10-of-12 passes for 164 yards and a touchdown and rushed 16 times for 110 yards and three scores.

The Mountaineers finished with 517 yards of offense, including 353 on the ground.

“The (offensive) line blocked great, and we just followed them,” said Edwards. “I’ve never even played for a state championship, so playing for a national championship is really exciting.”

“It may have looked easy, but the holes were there because we were well prepared,” said left guard Kerry Brown. “My brothers on the line really played well.”

“It was exactly what we thought we would get,” said YSU coach Jon Heacock. “They did exactly what we thought they would do, and we couldn’t stop them. We couldn’t slow them down. We just couldn’t.”

Against a defense allowing an average of 21 points and 348 yards per game, ASU piled up 344 yards of offense in the first half while building a 28-14 lead.

Edwards completed all seven pass attempts for 117 yards and a score and ran for 61 yards and another touchdown in the first two quarters, while tailback Kevin Richardson had 141 yards rushing and two TDs by halftime.

Richardson, who finished with 145 yards on the ground, left the game early in the third quarter with a bruised shoulder and did not return. He said after the game he would be ready to play next week.

Seniors cherish 2nd title game trip in 2 years
By Keith Jarrett

[email protected]

BOONE — There are 17 seniors on the Appalachian State football playoff roster, and only one of them has ever lost a home game.

That group of Mountaineers danced on the field at Kidd Brewer Stadium on Saturday night after a 49-24 win over Youngstown State in the semifinals of the Football Championship Subdivision.

Their 27th straight home win clinched a second consecutive berth in the national championship game, a title ASU won last season.

“Never losing at home means a lot,” said senior All-American defensive end Marques Murrell, who had two sacks against YSU.

“It means a lot of hard work and dedication to make sure nobody comes into your house and beats you.”

Tight end Daniel Bettis, who played as a freshman and was later red-shirted, is the only senior to experience defeat in Boone, a 14-13 loss to Maine in the 2002 playoffs.

The home winning streak is the longest among FCS schools and the second-longest streak in the country in all divisions, trailing only Southern Cal’s 32-game run.

The rest of the seniors are undefeated at home, and not many have been squeakers or against cupcakes. The team’s average margin of victory during the four-year streak is 18 points and more than half of the opponents (14 of 27) were nationally-ranked FCS opponents.

“That’s an awesome streak,” said ASU head coach Jerry Moore. “You couldn’t write a better script than to have this group of seniors finish off a streak like that by earning another trip to the national title game.

“I don’t know of many places where something like this has happened.”

December 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
...I missed the "I-AA" references in those articles (BTW the copyright police come and gets AGS every time there is an entire article posted here... we're only allowed to post a paragraph or two and a link to the rest).