PDA

View Full Version : #4 Youngstown State at #1 Appalachian State

Pages : [1] 2 3

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
have these teams ever met before?

th0m
December 2nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Nope. At least, using diaafootball.com data, they haven't met since 1973. I'd assume they haven't met before either.

JMUSaxMRD
December 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Go Youngstown! Break App State's home win streak and go to Chatty!

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
ASU and YSU have never met. App has only played 3 teams from the Gateway: Southern Ill (1-0), Northern Iowa (1-0), and Western Kentucky (4-1).

lizrdgizrd
December 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
I guess it's about time we met YSU then.

AppStateMan
December 2nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Anyone know if this will be a Friday night or Saturday game?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone know if this will be a Friday night or Saturday game?

I think it will be the Friday night game. ESPN usually puts the bigger game on Saturday. They will assume #2 versus #3 to be a better game than #1 #4.

It's hard to believe these two big time programs have never once played each other, as long as history as they both have of being IAA powers.

FunkyV
December 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
I don't say 2vs3 is better than 1vs4 But I say that they've all ready showed both App and Youngstown. So Mass and Montana have their turn. That way when showing the Champ game it will have shown the teams that will be in it.

ncguitarplyr
December 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
hell yeah...no matter what happens it'll be the last home game of my college career...can't wait for it...we're rushing the field like crazy and parading those goal posts around town again if we win

FlyYtown
December 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
I hope the Appy St. people give us a couple thousand tix..... I know quite a few people who are going and I have heard a number of busses will be heading down to BOONE!

GO PENGUINS!

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I hope the Appy St. people give us a couple thousand tix..... I know quite a few people who are going and I have heard a number of busses will be heading down to BOONE!

GO PENGUINS!

Do your busses have bullet-proof and goal post-proof glass? ;)

PenguinPride23
December 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Wonder how much them tix are goin for? I'd definitely do the bus thing if it ain't too expensive

FunkyV
December 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
^^Someone has paid attention to App games of the past.

GSU found out how easily a goal post can go through a Bus.... On accident, I swear.

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
hell yeah...no matter what happens it'll be the last home game of my college career...can't wait for it...we're rushing the field like crazy and parading those goal posts around town again if we win

Wish we could do that here. Lately they've been disassembling them right after the game :(

appmountaineermaniac
December 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
so is it official that asu and ysu will play fir at 730

Happy Penguin
December 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
so is it official that asu and ysu will play fir at 730

I asked all my friends at the tailgate....very few can make it to ASU this week since you punks rigged it for a Friday.

I can though, so you hillbillies will have to put up with me at least....GO YSU....GO ASU sister/cousins!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

asu7
December 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
I will not be smackin the YSU people as I love their mascot lol ... Penguins are just cool ... lookin forward to a good game ... it will be close ... no blowout here ... Have a safe trip YSU ... lookin forward to playin ya ... I hope yall enjoy Boone

appmountaineermaniac
December 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
so it is fri. at 730 then?? and wonder how many ysu fans will be here? i hope asu has more fans here fri. than today

Happy Penguin
December 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
so it is fri. at 730 then?? and wonder how many ysu fans will be here? i hope asu has more fans here fri. than today

Hey Boone locals...give me tips on what there is fun to do in town....places to eat, drink, etc.

And no, I'm not into my sister like you hillrods are, so skip that noise :nono:

appmountaineermaniac
December 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
ha good one thats a little harsh as we havent made fun of yall yet...anyways if you want some good food...-down the road in blowing rock theirs woodlands bbq which is good and in boone theres a variety of places to eat at, the library is a good sports restaurant. as for things to do if you want to go skiing or snowboard you can its Boone besides outdoor adventure stuff theres not a ton for tourists and its getting too cold to do that stuff

Happy Penguin
December 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
ha good one thats a little harsh as we havent made fun of yall yet...anyways if you want some good food...-down the road in blowing rock theirs woodlands bbq which is good and in boone theres a variety of places to eat at, the library is a good sports restaurant. as for things to do if you want to go skiing or snowboard you can its Boone besides outdoor adventure stuff theres not a ton for tourists and its getting too cold to do that stuff

Dude I'm not there for a workout. :smiley_wi

Give me some college drinking holes!

CamelCityYosef
December 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM

I heard that's because you guys have lost track of which ones are your sisters, and which ones are just cousins...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDK@YSU
December 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
I heard that's because you guys have lost track of which ones are your sisters, and which ones are just cousins...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I proposed a system of colored wristbands to identify family member relationships to the state legislation, but it was shot down because a disproportionate number of our population was colorblind due to the inbreeding. :p

Oh well, I try to take humor in stride.

GO 'GUINS!

Appguy
December 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I have a youngstown hat, wont be wearing anytime soon though.
Bought it cause I think the penguin looks coolhttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BPD4KM.01-AVRR6WAP2O9Z1._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM

GO PENGUINS!

ASU sent 2 sections worth of tickets to CCU for the first round in section 8 & 9 (~1500 seats). You can go to www.goasu.com tomorrow and buy tickets online.

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
does anyone really know for sure when the game is?
the student section was really awesome today... we were really loud!
i hope we can show up like that again next week

GoGuins
December 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM

Hell yea, we're from Ytown remember?xlolx

rb45070
December 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that I read somewhere that Montana does not have lights at the stadium. However in the same topic, I think i also read that they have had lights brought in before. But I do believe that it would be a safe bet to go with App having the Friday night game and Montana getting the Saturday game.

GoGuins
December 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
YSU had better improve on their kickoff coverage cause it SUCKS!!!

Peems
December 3rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that I read somewhere that Montana does not have lights at the stadium. However in the same topic, I think i also read that they have had lights brought in before. But I do believe that it would be a safe bet to go with App having the Friday night game and Montana getting the Saturday game.

you are correct we dont have lights and they were brought in in 2004 against UNH. However, i believe that App YSU will have the friday game because the weather in montana would not be welcoming for a friday game. Also no matter what lights will have to be brought in to Montana because the game is scheduled for 230 MST and it gets dark here around 445.:twocents:

Happy Penguin
December 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

Our special teams have been shaky all year, and the kick coverage is getting worse.

If we need lights, won't ESPN bring them?

YesAppCan
December 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
... Just curious, why are there no lights at Griz Stadium? Seems like it would be a great place for a night game (earlier in the year of course).

AppMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM

Leave the goal posts alone! Act like you've been there before! Tearing down a goal post is an extremely dangerous thing and people have been killed by them. Besides, the ones we have now can be lowered very quickly.

AppMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:19 AM
I proposed a system of colored wristbands to identify family member relationships to the state legislation, but it was shot down because a disproportionate number of our population was colorblind due to the inbreeding. :p

Oh well, I try to take humor in stride.

GO 'GUINS!

Finally!!! Someone from an opposing team that can have a little fun and not take anything personally! Hope you can make it to the ROCK!

AppMan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game. Have been following the Quins since their heydays back under Tressel. Two established powers meeting in the semi-finals. The game is on friday, as the #1 seed always gets the friday game. One thing that stinks is students are still taking exams that day. This will be a strange game day experience since tailgating and the atmosphere will be severely affected. The crowd will be way down since most of ASU's fan base is from 1 to 2 hours off the mountain and a lot of folks will have a hard time making the trip after work. Anyway, looking forward to a great game.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Youngstown State was on the bracket to come to Boone for the first round of the 2005 playoffs when Lafayette pulled out that win over Lehigh in the final minute. So the committee left YSU out and sent Lafayette instead. It is surprising that two schools as good as ASU and YSU have never met, when you consider that the two campuses are but seven hours away from each other. It is almost as close to go to Youngstown State as it is to get from Coastal Carolina to Boone. This is definitely a heavyweight encounter between two of the FCS/I-AA's best programs.

YesAppCan
December 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Good post Mr. C... I have always thought it would be a neat home-and-home series with YSU.

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
Good post Mr. C... I have always thought it would be a neat home-and-home series with YSU.

Next year would be a great start since WKU bolted out of the GFC and oppt out of their contract for next year. You'll be an awesome replacement for the Hilltoppers until they sort out the Dakota schools and the GFC in two years. :bow:

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Was anyone else annoyed and more with #5 of montana state?
That guy had something stuck up his butt.

Appguy
December 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
yea that could cause him to have a blue face..lol

BDK@YSU
December 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Finally!!! Someone from an opposing team that can have a little fun and not take anything personally! Hope you can make it to the ROCK!

I can't because I have a G*d d*mn test on Friday morning... I was all about skipping my classes Friday afternoon and leaving then for a Saturday game, but now that I'm hearing the game might be on Friday, I can't go. Of course, my test is at 9 a.m., and the map sites are saying it's an 8 hour drive, and the game would be at 7:30 p.m... well, we'll see.

Appstate29
December 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
This sucks!! I made plans to go to Beijing this week well frankly because it was the only week I could go, but damn I'm going to miss a hell of a game, if we get the friday night game, I might get up early Sat. Morning, and sneak off into an internet bar and listen to the damn thing on the radio and look at live stats

Go ASU!

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
STATISTICS

Appalachian State

Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 8
Passing Offense 64
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 3
Rushing Defense 8
Pass Efficiency Defense 14
Total Defense 9
Scoring Defense 6
Net Punting 17
Punt Returns 26
Kickoff Returns 106
Turnover Margin 65
Pass Defense 31
Passing Efficiency 30
Sacks 19
Tackles For Loss 38
Sacks Allowed 28

Youngstown State

Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 9
Passing Offense 87
Total Offense 11
Scoring Offense 10
Rushing Defense 75
Pass Efficiency Defense 36
Total Defense 70
Scoring Defense 37
Net Punting 16
Punt Returns 56
Kickoff Returns 90
Turnover Margin 14
Pass Defense 68
Passing Efficiency 42
Sacks 52
Tackles For Loss 40
Sacks Allowed 7

BOLD = Better Stats in that area

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
this stat is why app is gonna win and go to it's 2nd straight national championship:
Appalachian State Total Defense 9
Youngstown State Total Defense 70

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Leave the goal posts alone! Act like you've been there before! Tearing down a goal post is an extremely dangerous thing and people have been killed by them. Besides, the ones we have now can be lowered very quickly.

oh if it was up to me i wouldnt do it but its gonna be done...its just a fact...actually when asked about it last year coach moore said something to the effect of "I might get in trouble for saying this but I thought it was amazing what the students did out there" and anyways its gonna happen so might as well join in and have fun with it....that is unless app wises up and gets tons of security to guard them like at the national championship game

Appstate29
December 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Think we are getting ahead of ourselves with the goalpost talk, YSU is tough, I'm expecting a tough game, hopefully I'll be able to watch it!

Saint3333
December 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Those turnover stats scare me.

Keys to the game ASU's run defense and we can't turn the ball over like we did yesterday.

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Finally.

The first top legitimate team ASU has played since JMU in the second week of the season.

Sorry MSU, you lost to Davis 45-0.

ASU is going down hard.

HaveFunKc
December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
This sucks!! I made plans to go to Beijing this week well frankly because it was the only week I could go, but damn I'm going to miss a hell of a game, if we get the friday night game, I might get up early Sat. Morning, and sneak off into an internet bar and listen to the damn thing on the radio and look at live stats

Go ASU!

I feel your pain! I had the same problem when we played the Coastal Chickens. Didn't find a bar in BJ that had the game on at 4:30 in the morning - HUGE bummer!! :bawling: Thank god for the the live audio feed... Good luck in China!

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm excited for this game. Two traditional powers meeting for a chance to play for the title is big stuff. Of course, I'm going for App, but I love YSU's mascot and home uniforms. Pretty cool stuff. On the field, this is going to be tough going though. Stopping Mason will be a tough job. I don't remember when the last time that we had such a prolific running threat to worry about was. Hopefully, there will be a good showing in Boone despite the unusual game-time.

Saint3333
December 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Mpls, hello again friend. Please continue to pick ASU's opponent I like your streak.

Like I said in the ASU-MSU thread if you continue to pick against ASU you will eventually be correct, but thus far your predictions suck. ASU won by 3 TDs, what was your prediction again xidiotx. You will not give ASU credit unless they win the whole thing and I'm not sure you'd even do it then.

Sour grapes, no wonder the NDSU fans don't claim you.

Appstate29
December 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Finally.

The first top legitimate team ASU has played since JMU in the second week of the season.

ASU is going down hard.

YES! now I can feel safe about next weeks game since I probably won't be able to watch it, thanks again MplsBison, you're really turning into a goodluck charm, lets make this a yearly occurrence

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Finally.

ASU is going down hard.

Are you ever going to come in and eat your crow? I wonder if we'll hear the same **** thing next weekend if we win? I really wish NDSU was able to participate so we could shut you up once and for all. Like I said before...if you say every single week that we're going to lose, eventually you'll look like a genius! Good luck again with your magical bison forces pulling against us. :thumbsup:

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
If ASU beats YSU, they are a legitimate national top team.

If they lose, it'll confirm my suspicion that the SoCon is down big time this year and ASU just beat up on a bunch of weaklings.

tralfangar
December 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I like how we all replied within 4 minutes and said the exact same thing hahahah. Must mean it's somewhat true then?

Appstate29
December 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM

If they lose, it'll confirm my suspicion that the SoCon is down big time this year and ASU just beat up on a bunch of weaklings.

stop making excuses dude, we LIKE you, remember ASU sucks and they are going to get it handed to them come friday/saturday. Keep up the good work!

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Seriously, CCU and MSU were not prime competition (like I already said, MSU lost to Davis 45-0 and lost to DII Chadron state).

I would put them around Georgia Southern's ability.

YSU is the real deal. This will be the toughest team ASU has faced since losing to mighty NC State. I would actually rate YSU about as good as NCSU and expect roughly the same outcome.

Appstate29
December 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Seriously CCU and MSU were not prime competition (like I already said, MSU lost to Davis 45-0 and lost to DII Chadron state).

YSU is the real deal. This will be the toughest team ASU has faced since losing to mighty NC State. I would actually rate YSU about as good as NCSU and expect roughly the same outcome.

there he is, the Mpls we know and love!! Excellent! Thanks for the continued support of Appalachian football through your unique picks every week! Of course hope you are right this week and then afterwords you pick a landslide victory for whichever UM makes it to the finals against ASU

Saint3333
December 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Seriously, CCU and MSU were not prime competition (like I already said, MSU lost to Davis 45-0 and lost to DII Chadron state).

Like you said last week, MSU by AT LEAST a TD. Guess you were off by 28 points. MSU also beat 1-A Colorado and just two weeks ago lost to Montana by less than a touch @ Montana...

Don't worry you'll get to watch ASU on another nationally televised game this weekend and pull against them again, hopefully for two more weeks.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Of course, my test is at 9 a.m., and the map sites are saying it's an 8 hour drive, and the game would be at 7:30 p.m... well, we'll see.
I have made it to Youngstown in about seven hours from Boone. If the weather is good, it can be done.

BillLuc1982
December 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

I was screaming "Kick it out of bounds" after the first 2 kickoffs.

AgentPaul001
December 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Really looking forward to this game, the Friday game situation....kinks things for a fair bit of people, but weather is looking good.

Rays Weather shows it as Cold & Dry for the next week which is great, much preferred over cold & rainy :P

Friday - Mostly clear; Colder; High in the lower 30s; Low in the upper teens
Saturday - Mostly clear; Cool; High in the lower 40s; Low in the mid 20s

It'd be great to get some snow, but alas not the case.

I think Apps Defense is going to pull this one out as well, and if we can keep the turnovers to a minimum (dare I say none), this could end up just being a defensive battle.

Also, love the youngstown state mascot :)

BillLuc1982
December 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
I can't because I have a G*d d*mn test on Friday morning... I was all about skipping my classes Friday afternoon and leaving then for a Saturday game, but now that I'm hearing the game might be on Friday, I can't go. Of course, my test is at 9 a.m., and the map sites are saying it's an 8 hour drive, and the game would be at 7:30 p.m... well, we'll see.

Mapquest time is a bunch of BS. It says 5 1/2 hours to Arlington, VA from Y-Town and I can do it in just under 5. When we went to Destin for spring break, it took 14 hours and 50 minutes instead of Mapquest's 16.5-17 hours. So shave about 10% off of that time.

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
when the brackets were announced i couldn't believe youngstown state got a seed....i think they are the most overrated team in the playoffs and they barely squeaked by to get this far so i think maybe they proved me wrong that they didn't deserve a seed but it's the end of the line for them...i was more worried about montana state to be honest...but maybe they'll prove me wrong again

FuturePenguin
December 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
In my oppinion, we have the toughest match up of this entire playoff series right here. Which ever team wins this game should end up winning it all. And because we have never been able to play each other, its kind of difficult to speculate an outcome. One thing is for sure, this is going to be a great game.
GO PENGUINS!

BigApp
December 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

BigApp
December 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM

are you implying that many guys are into your sister? Most brothers don't enjoy admitting family secrets, y'know...:D :D :D

guinpen1
December 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
What is the tailgate situation in Boone? My friends and I will most defentally be making the trip (whether it is a Fri or Sat game), and were looking for some tailgate info... Also, I see on Orbitz several hotels at a good college student price. Looks like the Scottish Inn is pretty cheap- any lodging info from the locals?

BrevardMountaineer03
December 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
In my oppinion, we have the toughest match up of this entire playoff series right here. Which ever team wins this game should end up winning it all. And because we have never been able to play each other, its kind of difficult to speculate an outcome. One thing is for sure, this is going to be a great game.
GO PENGUINS!

I agree...I felt the same way last year with the Semi-Final against Furman..The winner of this game will win it all! Go App!
Congrates to all teams.

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
What is the tailgate situation in Boone? My friends and I will most defentally be making the trip (whether it is a Fri or Sat game), and were looking for some tailgate info... Also, I see on Orbitz several hotels at a good college student price. Looks like the Scottish Inn is pretty cheap- any lodging info from the locals?

I don't tailgate, so I can't give you much info about that, but as far as hotels, I hear that Scottish Inns is pretty ****ty as well as pretty cheap. Don't really know any specifics, but I'd do it if its the best price. Hope you have a safe trip down, if you come.

APPST '93
December 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

Stay at the Scottish. Close to the stadium and you'll only sleep there. (8 hrs) If wives are coming think about Hampton Inn...

Tailgating is wide open most game days. May be a little difficult with exams going on this weekend. I'll be in Yosef club parking so I won't have any trouble.

BigApp
December 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM

Since no one else we've played this year matches up to your standards, what has Youngstown town done to deserve such a lofty status?

PenguinPride23
December 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Is YSU offering a bus down there, does anybody know?

appst97
December 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

There are also several cabin rental places around Boone, Blowing Rock, and Valle Crucis. If you have several people staying w/ you, these can be a lot of fun and very affordable. GO APPS

Happy Penguin
December 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
are you implying that many guys are into your sister? Most brothers don't enjoy admitting family secrets, y'know...:D :D :D

Hey what she does is her business :D :D :D :D

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
when the brackets were announced i couldn't believe youngstown state got a seed....i think they are the most overrated team in the playoffs and they barely squeaked by to get this far so i think maybe they proved me wrong that they didn't deserve a seed but it's the end of the line for them...i was more worried about montana state to be honest...but maybe they'll prove me wrong again

Thanks for that! I am not going to play the smack game, but at the same time... We are 11-2 and won the Gateway, our only CS loss was to a team we never beat: UNI [0-6 since 2001].....

YSU is in big trouble folks if they do not fix the special teams and defense quick. I think the defense decides when they wanna play good. They need to play as if its the final series of the game during the entire game. They allow way too many easy passes and need to learn how to shut teams down on 2nd and 3rd and long.

The special teams are flat out horrible. Bishop had a bad day, **** happens. The kick coverage is PATHETIC. Has been all year. Appy St has the speed to take back those kicks for TD'S.

YSU has a lot of things they need to fix for any shot at beating ASU; but thank God it's not too drastic.... the senior leadership will need to step it all week.... and lets all pray Tod Rowan can play QB like Armanti Edwards, he has done a great job as a scout qb all year, but I don't think we've seen someone like him all year!

GO GUINS!!!

BrevardMountaineer03
December 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that! I am not going to play the smack game, but at the same time... We are 11-2 and won the Gateway, our only CS loss was to a team we never beat: UNI [0-6 since 2001].....

YSU has a lot of things they need to fix for any shot at beating ASU; but thank God it's not too drastic.... the senior leadership will need to step it all week.... and lets all pray Tod Rowan can play QB like Armanti Edwards, he has done a great job as a scout qb all year, but I don't think we've seen someone like him all year!

GO GUINS!!!

Thanks for the compliments, you won 2 straight to make the Semis you deserve to be here.

Please let's not let this turn out to be the stupid smack that the ASU/MSU thread was. Some of that stuff was pathetic.

Enough preaching from me, I think ASU has the advantage with speed at QB and RB, I still think we can't overlook this game. If any of the 4 teams overlook the semi game they will be home for the final.

GO APP!

BigApp
December 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Hey what she does is her business :D :D :D :D

xlolx xlolx xlolx :eyebrow: xlolx xlolx xlolx

KiddBrewer
December 3rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Appalachian 38
Youngstown State 27

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Since no one else we've played this year matches up to your standards, what has Youngstown town done to deserve such a lofty status?

They won the Gateway, the toughtest I-AA auto bid conference this year.

In a normal SoCon year where Furman, ASU, and GSU are all top 10 teams, the winner of that conference would have my full respect.

Not this year.

KiddBrewer
December 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
now theres a thread up about the game being on saturday at 4, when will we know for sure?

james_lawfirm
December 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM

Actually, those that can be lowered quickly were last years' model. They had a hinge about half way up. Apparently, Coach Moore did NOT like them for some reason & they were removed by the fans at the Furman game.

I have seen Chancellor Peacock with a sign imploring the students to leave the goalposts alone during games this season. I do not know the Chancellor's preference at the end of the YSU game, if we win. My guess is that he won't mind buying a couple of new goal posts if we are headed to Chattanooga. But, I agree that taking them down can be dangerous for those involved.

james_lawfirm
December 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Finally.

ASU is going down hard.

Oh, poo!! I thought we would win. ;)

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
If the students want to take down the goalposts, no one will stop them.

I'm drolling over this match up, looks really good on paper, but in the end I think home field wins out. Teams have said it time and time again, Boone and Kidd Brewer is just a hard place to come in and get a win from.

If we can shut down their running game ( which will be tough with that horse they got ), we can force them to 3rd and longs, which means here comes the pass rush........ MSU QB can testify to that!

Applete
December 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM

No they can't, we don't have the hinges anymore.

BALD EAGLE
December 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
"Stopping Mason will be a tough job. I don't remember when the last time that we had such a prolific running threat to worry about was."

You must have a very short memory.

Does Adrian Peterson ring a bell?

I bet YSU fans remember him.

Ga. Southern's Playoff Record 38 - 10

YSU's Playoff Record 25 - 6

ASU's Playoff Record 14 - 12

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
I bet YSU fans remember him.
Ga. Southern's Playoff Record 38 - 10

YSU's Playoff Record 25 - 6

ASU's Playoff Record 14 - 12

WE TRY NOT TOO!

Go Penguins.
LOSSES IN THE PLAYOFFS FOR YSU--One's I know of!
2000-Loss @ Richmond FIRST ROUND
1999-Loss vs. G. Southern CHAMPIONSHIP
1998-did we make it then lol?
1992-Loss vs. Marshall CHAMPIONSHIP
1990-Loss vs. Central Florida FIRST ROUND

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
I think this is the matchup we've been looking forward to. Obviously, I'm partisan and think App will win. But I don't think we win by 20+ points. I'm expecting more of a nailbiter-- and an ASU win by 6-8 points.

Good luck to the Penguins, and have a safe trip down to Boone!

appsfan
December 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I have a lot of respect for YSU and what they have accomplished this year and in past years. I will say Appalachian wins due to the home field advantage at the Rock.

SirApp
December 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Top-seeded Appalachian State University will host No. 4 Youngstown State in the NCAA Division I Football Championship semifinals on Saturday, Dec. 9 at 4 p.m. The contest will be televised nationally on ESPN.

Taken from goasu.com

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
best tailgating is in stadium lot...but you can't park there only rich alumni...next best bet is raley parking lot...i wouldnt go there if i was a visitor though that place is crazy...after that is greenwood but ive never tailgated there...although ive seen a few people tailgate in the parking deck but that doesn't really count but its only the place you'll be able to park it if you come late

BeauFoster
December 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Stadium Lot isn't just for "rich alumni". Many of the persons who park there just happen to love ASU and know that a tax-deductable donation to the Yosef club benefits both student-athletes and the general student population. My father parks there and he is by no means rich, nor is he an ASU alum.

appsfan
December 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Yes! I just got my tickets for Saturday! Here's to a great game and, of course, an Appalachian State victory.:hurray:

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
oh if it was up to me i wouldnt do it but its gonna be done...its just a fact...actually when asked about it last year coach moore said something to the effect of "I might get in trouble for saying this but I thought it was amazing what the students did out there" and anyways its gonna happen so might as well join in and have fun with it....that is unless app wises up and gets tons of security to guard them like at the national championship game

We havn't had any games this year worthy of a field-rush so far, but going back to Nooga (should we win) would definitely be one. ASU and YSU are both very, very good teams so they game definitely shouldn't be a blow-out.

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM

^^^

Was just about to ask that...

CCU97
December 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I still stand by my statement...App St is the best team in the field and should be back in Chatt again this year.

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

YSU is the real deal. This will be the toughest team ASU has faced since BARELY losing to mighty NC State. I would actually rate YSU about as good as NCSU and expect roughly the same outcome.

*Fixed :thumbsup:

CCU97
December 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
YSU is a great team...I just feel that team speed and that over powering D of App St will prevail in a close game at the Rock.

Frosty The Snowbuff
December 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
STATISTICS

Appalachian State

Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 8
Passing Offense 64
Total Offense 3
Scoring Offense 3
Rushing Defense 8
Pass Efficiency Defense 14
Total Defense 9
Scoring Defense 6
Net Punting 17
Punt Returns 26
Kickoff Returns 106
Turnover Margin 65
Pass Defense 31
Passing Efficiency 30
Sacks 19
Tackles For Loss 38
Sacks Allowed 28

Youngstown State

Category | National Rank

Rushing Offense 9
Passing Offense 87
Total Offense 11
Scoring Offense 10
Rushing Defense 75
Pass Efficiency Defense 36
Total Defense 70
Scoring Defense 37
Net Punting 16
Punt Returns 56
Kickoff Returns 90
Turnover Margin 14
Pass Defense 68
Passing Efficiency 42
Sacks 52
Tackles For Loss 40
Sacks Allowed 7

BOLD = Better Stats in that area

I'm taking the Mountaineers....

See Italics and Underlined for my reasons why...

B&G
December 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Like someone else said, the Scottish Inn is a perfectly acceptable place to stay. It's cheap, the heat works, and it's a short walk to the stadium.

I think we can beat Y'town but I will say this... App can't turn the ball over like they did against MSU b/c YSU will be better equipped to take advantage. Or at least I assume the 'Guins QB isn't going to roll over and play dead nor will the coaches call badly timed trick plays.

Appattk
December 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Ok, I have to admit it.

I really like the Y'town uniforms. There's something that's incredibly cool about the red and white helmets & uni's.

Every time I've seen them I just want to yell... (with a country twang)

YAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Other than NCSU, does anyone know what's the last I-AA team we've played that has the red & white colors?

Applete
December 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=BALD EAGLE]"Stopping Mason will be a tough job. I don't remember when the last time that we had such a prolific running threat to worry about was."

Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois in the second round last season.

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
The Division I Football Championship semifinal game between Youngstown State and Appalachian State will be played on Saturday, Dec. 9 in Boone, N.C., at ASU's Kidd Brewer Stadium, the NCAA announced on Sunday. The contest kicks off at 4 p.m. and will be nationally-televised on ESPN HD. Ticket information, office hours and availability will be announced Monday by the Youngstown State athletic department.

http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ysuasu.jpg

Applete
December 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Here you go App fans. The student section always seems to enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cr6KOmsMdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9og7OA97lM&mode=related&search=

Paladin1aa
December 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
OK-- think we have 5 going in my group. While we are down there, we are going to take in the local culture-- clogging, moonshine & checking out all the extras that played in 'Deliverance" !! xlolx xlolx xlolx .

Go Guins !! :thumbsup:

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=BALD EAGLE]"Stopping Mason will be a tough job. I don't remember when the last time that we had such a prolific running threat to worry about was."

Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois in the second round last season.

GSU's Jayson Foster and Jermaine Austin from last year?

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
OK-- think we have 5 going in my group. While we are down there, we are going to take in the local culture-- clogging, moonshine & checking out all the extras that played in 'Deliverance" !! xlolx xlolx xlolx .

Hit the tailgate scene, but steer clear of the Raley Lot unless you are brave ;) ;) and can hold your booze.

Tail gate info: http://www.goasu.com/page/121/

Applete
December 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Applete]

GSU's Jayson Foster and Jermaine Austin from last year?

Very good point, I appologize for overlooking them. It seems foster got screwed this year. He went from starting quarterback to wide receiver? It seems that they would have wanted the ball in his hands more.

APPSTER
December 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
App Fans: - get your buns up to The Rock on Saturday! Forget the Christmas Party or whatever else you have planned - none of that is more important than this!

This game shapes up to be the thriller that last year's semifinal vs. Furple was. You shouldn't miss it!

Watching it on TV isn't the same....we need to pack Kidd Brewer!

Say NO :nono: to ESPN and YES :thumbsup: to The Rock!

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
we are going to take in the local culture-- clogging, moonshine & checking out all the extras that played in 'Deliverance" !! xlolx xlolx xlolx .

We'll let them know you're on the way-- you might want to practice squealin' like a pig...:smiley_wi

APPST '93
December 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
App Fans: - get your buns up to The Rock on Saturday! Forget the Christmas Party or whatever else you have planned - none of that is more important than this!

This game shapes up to be the thriller that last year's semifinal vs. Furple was. You shouldn't miss it!

Watching it on TV isn't the same....we need to pack Kidd Brewer!

Say NO :nono: to ESPN and YES :thumbsup: to The Rock!

I hear yea! Missing my work Christmas Party on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be missing the In-Laws party the next weekend. Go APPS!:thumbsup:

BeauFoster
December 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
I hear yea! Missing my work Christmas Party on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be missing the In-Laws party the next weekend. Go APPS!:thumbsup:

Good luck with the in-laws, I had to miss MSU for that same reason. Something tells me my wife would have been more understanding had it been December 15

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
I don't tailgate, so I can't give you much info about that, but as far as hotels, I hear that Scottish Inns is pretty ****ty as well as pretty cheap. Don't really know any specifics, but I'd do it if its the best price. Hope you have a safe trip down, if you come.

Don't even think about the Scottish Inns.

B&G
December 3rd, 2006, 08:11 PM

Don't forget the cornholing!

Appguy
December 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
scottish inn is horrible

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
scottish inn was horrible when I went to school at ASU-- and that was 20 years ago...

APPST '93
December 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
scottish inn is horrible

Cheap place to sleep.
12-3:30 Tailgate
4-7:30 Game
7:30-2am Bars
2-8 Sleep (Scottish Inn)
8am-3 Long ride home after getting beat.
Stay at the Scottish! (Southern hospitality at its best)LOL

FunkyV
December 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
You should be asking them to stay in the Broyhill Inn. Put some of that money YSU fans spend on Hotels back into App

Heck, it's even on Campus and near a tailgating spot.

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
You should be asking them to stay in the Broyhill Inn. Put some of that money YSU fans spend on Hotels back into App

Heck, it's even on Campus and near a tailgating spot.

I was thinking the YSU fans might enjoy a stay in scenic Meat Camp...

FunkyV
December 3rd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Meth heaven.

appsfan
December 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
For a hotel a bit nicer, YSU fans could consider the Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn. Heck, you get a continental breakfast at each.xcoffeex

FunkyV
December 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, recommending the Scottish Inn is mean. App wants to beat their football team, not give their fans super-airborne AIDS from staying in a dump

Applete
December 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know why Jeremy Wiggins was returning punts instead of Dexter Jackson? Were they saving Dex's legs or what?

APPSTER
December 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Guins - come on down to Boone! Section 9 - (Visitors section) was a bit empty this week - MSU is too far - but you guys are close enough!

Main Tailgating options:
- Raley Lot (only flat piece of land in Boone) is for the younger, rowdy, "booze it up" crowdxprost2x
Stadium Lot older, more laid back crowd.

Swim, waddle, or whatever it is that Penguins do....but be here - it should be a great game.

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know why Jeremy Wiggins was returning punts instead of Dexter Jackson? Were they saving Dex's legs or what?

It was because MSU uses that wacky, roll-out line-drive bouncy punt. Apparently the App coaches view Jeremy as more a hands player (like on side kick recovery kind of hands player), and better able to deal with that style of punt/ball movement. At least that's what they said on the radio post-game.

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
For a hotel a bit nicer, YSU fans could consider the Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn. Heck, you get a continental breakfast at each.xcoffeex

If you stay in Meat Camp, you ARE continental breakfast...xlolx

guinpen1
December 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, recommending the Scottish Inn is mean. App wants to beat their football team, not give their fans super-airborne AIDS from staying in a dump

Thanks for the heads up on the Scottish Inn... Sounds like we will be staying in Wilkesboro.

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Dexter seems to have good enough hands to me!

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM
I stayed in the scottish once and was sick for the next week and a half

FunkyV
December 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Sounds like we will be staying in Wilkesboro.

That's where I live.

stuperman17
December 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
How far is Hickory from Boone? Cause i know somebody who lives in Hickory and they said 40 minutes...They're goin to the game and said i can stay over there. They live on a lake in a huge house. My dad and I might go, or i may just go with some friends.

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
LOL it sounds like us YSU fans are being associated with the Poor White Trash of America. Yes our city isn't the nicest area of the state, but the Mahoning Valley makes the most money of anyone in Ohio.

ASU Fans-We got some money! Give us some nicer places to stay, that one you guys are saying sounds like one of those 2 story motels in the middle of nowhere by a highway!

BrevardMountaineer03
December 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
How far is Hickory from Boone? Cause i know somebody who lives in Hickory and they said 40 minutes...They're goin to the game and said i can stay over there. They live on a lake in a huge house. My dad and I might go, or i may just go with some friends.

I would count on about an hour from Hickory. I went to Lenoir-Rhyne there in Hickory and I have made the trip a few times up 321 to Boone. Enjoy NC.

Go App!

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
yeah its about an hr

ncguitarplyr
December 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
scottish inn actually caught on fire a couple years ago...not sure if you can still see the damage or not lol

stay at the broyhill if you can afford it/get reservations

FunkyV
December 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Wilkesboro is closer than Hickory by about 25-30 minutes.

Boone has some nice hotels. So does Wilkes. But they are easy to figure out the bad from the good. If you've heard of the Hotel branch before, it's safe to stay there. If you haven't, skip it.

guinpen1
December 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
LOL it sounds like us YSU fans are being associated with the Poor White Trash of America. Yes our city isn't the nicest area of the state, but the Mahoning Valley makes the most money of anyone in Ohio.

ASU Fans-We got some money! Give us some nicer places to stay, that one you guys are saying sounds like one of those 2 story motels in the middle of nowhere by a highway!

Sorry fly, just a poor college student here looking for a cheap place to stay friday night.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
I grew up near Hickory, did my internship there while at ASU, and lived there for 2 years after graduating. If you're near Hwy 321 in the North part of town, you might make it to Boone in a little more than an hour. An hour and a half is probably safest, especially in the afternoon when traffic in Hickory and Lenoir can slow you down a bit.

AppGirl82
December 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Hickory is a little less than an hour from Boone. My family and I are driving back to Hickory after the game. The only thing is that US 321 from Boone to Hickory isn't the greatest highway in the state. It's straight down the mountain (road under construction), very dark, and tons of curves. It's not dangerous or anything, but you should know that US 421 to Wilkesboro is a four-lane road. Either way...be sure to watch out for deer, esp. right after you get off the mountain. Glad that you're coming!!

boonegoon
December 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM

If you say that you have money to spend, I recommend staying in Blowing Rock. There are several nice hotels, inns and B&Bs. The have nicer restaurants with cocktails and it's only 8 miles away. Very pretty views from Canyons restaurant.

stuperman17
December 3rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'll probably be driving up with people who know all the roads and the guy who'll probably be driving speeds like a mofo lol...But i heard the scenery in Boone is very nice, not to sound gay though haha...Hope to have a good time down there though. If I go with my dad, it'll be fun...if i don't, it might be more fun cause i can probably get umm...a little sip sip friday and saturday night...it'll be a good weekend either way though.

AppMan
December 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Try these links. Perhaps they will help you find the type of accomodations you can live with.

http://visitboonenc.com/lodging.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g48966-Blowing_Rock_North_Carolina-Hotels.html

thmst30
December 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
So hyped for this game. It should be a battle to the end, with App hopefully coming out on top! We will need the crowd to be louder than ever, which means we actually need people to show up. I still don't know how we pratically top 20,000 in every single regular season game, and yet we had only around 15,000 last week. People too damn wimpy these days, and stay home to watch because they think its cold. It wasn't bad at all, and it supposed to be nice again this Sat. just put on a damn jacket and go. If you are prone to getting real cold just buy about 6 of those cheap handwarmers and put them in your gloves, shoes, and in your hat. If you are really wimpy then you can also get one of those heat wraps and put it around your waist/back. I swear you won't be cold at all, you would think it was the dead of summer. Just man up and come support your team, they've played their a$$es off for 2 straight years now and they deserve a better turnout. Hell there was over 20,000 at the damn Independence High School game last week. SHOW UP AND LETS OVERLOAD THE ROCK.

One more thing, so far it seems that all the YSU fans posting in here are very classy and we seem to have respect for each other. Thats a nice change of events. Hopefully it will be the same at the game in the stands and on the field. A win is always sweeter, and a loss is always easier to take, when the opposing teams fans and players are classy and respectful. Keep it up guys it speaks volumes to me about YSU.

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
We have a shot at 20,000 with the game being on saturday. If the game was on Friday it would be a different story. I know I have exams Friday until 530 so I certainly would not have been quite so pumped I am glad it is Saturday. Tailgating for fans, pregame meals and such for players and everything is like a normal week. In other words thank God it aint Friday. I really hope we have a ton of people there. The student section last week was as full as it ever is. In fact I would venture to say that was the loudest it has been and the most crowded it has been since I have been here(3 years). We just need more of the old folks way up high!

thmst30
December 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
We have a shot at 20,000 with the game being on saturday. If the game was on Friday it would be a different story. I know I have exams Friday until 530 so I certainly would not have been quite so pumped I am glad it is Saturday. Tailgating for fans, pregame meals and such for players and everything is like a normal week. In other words thank God it aint Friday. I really hope we have a ton of people there. The student section last week was as full as it ever is. In fact I would venture to say that was the loudest it has been and the most crowded it has been since I have been here(3 years). We just need more of the old folks way up high!
Yea, I agree that last week was the 2nd loudest I remember that place being. So if we can fill it up and then some, it would be incredible. I can only dream of 20,000, but I say around 16,500 because it will be chilly and is on TV.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 3rd, 2006, 11:49 PM

I know what you mean, the Montana St. players are total gangsters. They recruit so many California kids with more ties to their respective gangs than anything else. Of course you can't blame them, its not like they could out recruit the griz. They have 3 times more CA starters than MT starters, its sad.

APPSTER
December 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
So hyped for this game. It should be a battle to the end, with App hopefully coming out on top! We will need the crowd to be louder than ever, which means we actually need people to show up. I still don't know how we pratically top 20,000 in every single regular season game, and yet we had only around 15,000 last week. People too damn wimpy these days, and stay home to watch because they think its cold. It wasn't bad at all, and it supposed to be nice again this Sat. just put on a damn jacket and go. If you are prone to getting real cold just buy about 6 of those cheap handwarmers and put them in your gloves, shoes, and in your hat. If you are really wimpy then you can also get one of those heat wraps and put it around your waist/back. I swear you won't be cold at all, you would think it was the dead of summer. Just man up and come support your team, they've played their a$$es off for 2 straight years now and they deserve a better turnout. Hell there was over 20,000 at the damn Independence High School game last week. SHOW UP AND LETS OVERLOAD THE ROCK.

One more thing, so far it seems that all the YSU fans posting in here are very classy and we seem to have respect for each other. Thats a nice change of events. Hopefully it will be the same at the game in the stands and on the field. A win is always sweeter, and a loss is always easier to take, when the opposing teams fans and players are classy and respectful. Keep it up guys it speaks volumes to me about YSU.

Nice post. Several good points in it.......yes we need to pack The Rock. There is no reason for us not to have 20K in there this week against a great YSU squad. It was not cold this past week at all.

This is the most athletically gifted Mountaineer squad we've ever had - much more fun to see it in person.

I also agree that the YSU contingent on AGS are good sports. YSU is the 2nd most successful CS program with 4 titles and yet they don't mention it in every other sentence like some of the Georgia Southern posters do.

App fans: tell your wife and/or girlfriend that we don't get this chance everyday - SEMIFINAL GAME AT THE ROCK - and that you need to be there. Grab some of your buddies and hightail it up to Boone. Do it! Make the call right now - you'll be glad you were there.

thmst30
December 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
I know what you mean, the Montana St. players are total gangsters. They recruit so many California kids with more ties to their respective gangs than anything else. Of course you can't blame them, its not like they could out recruit the griz. They have 3 times more CA starters than MT starters, its sad.
Thanks for saying that, I though that was the cockiest team and yes there were a lot of gangster like actions out there. Unfortunately our players let it get to them, and they acted just as bad in return. However I had a feeling that Montana fans felt the same way.

BigSkyGrizGano
December 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for saying that, I though that was the cockiest team and yes there were a lot of gangster like actions out there. Unfortunately our players let it get to them, and they acted just as bad in return. However I had a feeling that Montana fans felt the same way.
Hey what was up with that fight between two of your players on the bench. I didn'y see exactly what happened, I had to make a run for the refrigerator;)

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
#5 marcosus leblanc really got to us students because before the game he actually came right up to our section and started jawing at us! what a loser. even when the game was over he was still letting our coaches hear it. what a dick head. we have since raided his facebook page and created groups about our dislike for him. he didnt cut it at boise st by the way before he went to msu and he had assault charges this year. they were all rather cocky but he was by far the worst.

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hey what was up with that fight between two of your players on the bench. I didn'y see exactly what happened, I had to make a run for the refrigerator;)
Built up frustration of having a few 3 and outs, plus the annoyance of MSU. It was the first time all year I've seen any of our players not get along, this seems like a very tight bunch. However I'm sure the TV crew never showed that literally seconds after the fight both guys were sitting next to each other having a calm talk. It was really nothing at all.

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 07:41 AM
#5 marcosus leblanc really got to us students because before the game he actually came right up to our section and started jawing at us! what a loser. even when the game was over he was still letting our coaches hear it. what a dick head. we have since raided his facebook page and created groups about our dislike for him. he didnt cut it at boise st by the way before he went to msu and he had assault charges this year. they were all rather cocky but he was by far the worst.

I know Le Blanc wouldn't have a pleasant time with the YSU hecklers! ;)

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game. Your stadium looks like a great setting....beautiful surroundings and loud fans. I don't think crowd noise will be a major factor though, we played at Penn State this year in front of over 104k.

I'm up to date on my shot, so I'm booked at the Scottish Inn :p
Is it really within walking distance to the stadium?

I've been all over your site....do you guys have a map that shows which lots you can tailgate in? The description on the goasu site is pretty vague.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game. Your stadium looks like a great setting....beautiful surroundings and loud fans. I don't think crowd noise will be a major factor though, we played at Penn State this year in front of over 104k.

I've been all over your site....do you guys have a map that shows which lots you can tailgate in? The description on the goasu site is pretty vague.
Gmaps pedometer gives a little less than a mile from the hotel to the stadium, although google's map of Boone looks to be a little out of date - a few streets have changed a bit with campus construction, so the map below is really more of a general suggestion. The hotel is maybe a quarter-mile down the street from where campus begins. It's a large street with storefronts, restaurants, and sidewalk space (so you're not cutting through bushes and climbing over rocks, etc.).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=572621

At the 2005 Western Carolina/ASU game, which for a time set a Kidd-Brewer attendance record, I would have liked to have parked as close to the stadium as the Scottish Inn. I parked another quarter-mile down the street, and walked over a mile to the game. It wasn't that bad.

Tailgate zones are listed at goasu.com:
http://goasu.com/page/42/?fSession=7f5ed4aacef7a4e1d2bba5e479363a3d119ad85a

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Gmaps pedometer gives a little less than a mile from the hotel to the stadium. The hotel is maybe a quarter-mile down the street from where campus begins. It's a large street with storefronts, restaurants, and sidewalk space (so you're not cutting through bushes and climbing over rocks, etc.).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=572621

Thanks, you guys are alright :hurray:

AppGuy04
December 4th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Please defense, keep the score down so we don't have to score a ton, my arms can't take anymore pushups

AppMan
December 4th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Try these links out. Each one of these places are about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk from the Scottish Inn. Tell me you're not really staying in that dump! Just take a left out of the parking lot, another left on Rivers Street at the Holmes Convocation Center and keep walking. You impress me as a Raley Lot kind of guy. Its mostly students and younger alumni. Lots of fun going on. If someone insults you, just smile, walk over to them, give it right back ,and ask them to have a drink with you. It'll break the ice and you'll have made some new friends.

http://goasu.com/page/42

http://goasu.com/page/128/

Have a safe trip and enjoy you visit to Boone!

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Try these links out. Each one of these places are about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk from the Scottish Inn. Tell me you're not really staying in that dump! Just take a left out of the parking lot, another left on Rivers Street at the Holmes Convocation Center and keep walking. You impress me as a Raley Lot kind of guy. Its mostly students and younger alumni. Lots of fun going on. If someone insults you, just smile, walk over to them, give it right back ,and ask them to have a drink with you. It'll break the ice and you'll have made some new friends.

http://goasu.com/page/128/

Have a safe trip and enjoy you visit to Boone!

Based on some online reviews I am rethinking the Scottish Inn....

Thanks for the info, I can't wait

AppMan
December 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Just two brothers in a family disagreement. Two guys wanting to win badly and pushing one another to the edge. It was over as quickly as it began.

Glad you expressed the same opinion of a few of those MSU players. They looked like they had a chip on their shoulder. Probably comes form an inferiority complex of having to deal with you guys all the time.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Check out this map, too. Scottish Inn is about a quarter-mile down Hardin St/US 321 from the lower right hand corner of the page.

http://www.web.appstate.edu/maps/parking.pdf

The Hill Street lot might be a good option, since it's the first one you'll come to walking from Scottish Inn, and it's usually full of visiting fans. I don't get to Boone as often as I'd like, so I'm not sure about Hill Street's official status. I'm sure someone could fill you in.

Enjoy your trip.

Based on some online reviews I am rethinking the Scottish Inn...
If I were in your shoes, I'd totally stay at the Scottish Inn. It's got to be nicer than my brother's couch, which is where I usually sleep when in Boone. I might not take my wife there, but it's more than do-able for a quick football trip.

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Check out this map, too. Scottish Inn is about a quarter-mile down Hardin St/US 321 from the lower right hand corner of the page.

http://www.web.appstate.edu/maps/parking.pdf

The Hill Street lot might be a good option, since it's the first one you'll come to walking from Scottish Inn, and it's usually full of visiting fans. I don't get to Boone as often as I'd like, so I'm not sure about Hill Street's official status. I'm sure someone could fill you in.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks again for the info, keep it coming if you have more.

I cancelled on the Scottish and picked the Super 8 on highway 105. It got pretty good write-ups and the price wasn't too bad.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM
You really should rethink the Scottish... seriously... biggest dump in town. 50 yards down the road from the Scottish is the Red Carpet Inn. Not much more money and still very cheap but definately not on the level of the Scottish! And by the way both are well within walking distance. I walk to Wal Mart from campus all the time and the Scottish/Red Carpet area is about a quarter of the way there.

Appguy
December 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
get your walkin shoes cause its all uphill to the stadium from just about all directions.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Not a bad place at all with the Super 8... good choice!
Don't walk to the stadium from there though... more like 2 miles and part of the way on 105 is no sidewalks with crazy trucks rumbling by. I have done it and it is scary. Check out Greenwood Lot that is a good one to.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks again for the info, keep it coming if you have more.

I cancelled on the Scottish and picked the Super 8 on highway 105. It got pretty good write-ups and the price wasn't too bad.
Super 8 is probably another half-mile away from the stadium than Scottish, but it puts you next door to Mel's Diner, which is a decent place to eat. It's one of those silver-building, retro kind of places.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=572673

Appguy
December 4th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Mels diners is now called Troys. someone bought it i think

tralfangar
December 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks, you guys are alright :hurray:

Yeah we're all nice people when we don't have the entire state of Montana telling us that our #1 team is somehow inferior to what was an 8-4 team. It's a lot easier to have civil discussion when the other fans are civil as well.

tralfangar
December 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Hill Street actually isn't "officially" open to tailgating:

Hill Street is where all the students who were kicked out of their spots in Stadium and Greenwood park. So you won't be able to park at Hill St because I guarantee all those spots will be taken Friday night. The best place to tailgate for visiting fans is wherever you can get a spot.

APP91
December 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM
You guys can also catch a bus and ride it to the game if the walk is too far.

RIDE APPALCART TO THE GAME!!!

FACT: More fans than ever will be coming to Boone this year to watch the defending national champion Mountaineers play football.

FACT: Appalachian's campus has 500 fewer parking spaces for the upcoming football season than last year.

FACT: Finding available parking on gameday will be more difficult than ever before.

SOLUTION: Don’t drive to campus and sit in traffic looking for a parking space that you may not be able to find. RIDE THE APPALCART! The following routes will operate from 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on gamedays, and the RIDE IS FREE!

• POP 105 ROUTE – Provides service on the 105 corridor west of 321. The main campus stop is at Raley Circle. Some of the key stops are located in front of the Comfort Inn (across street from Sagebrush & Hampton Inn), and across the street from Super 8.

• ORANGE ROUTE – Provides service on the 421 corridor east of Boone and the 105 Extension. The main campus stop is at the ASU Library/Bookstore on College Street. Key stops on this route are located across the street from Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza and Country Inn & Suites in front of New Market Center.

• PURPLE ROUTE – Provides service on the 321 corridor. The main campus stop is at Raley Circle. Some of the key stops are at Applebee’s (useful for Fairfield Inn & Holiday Inn Express), and Boone Mall.

• RED ROUTE – Provides service on the 321 corridor. The main campus stop is at the ASU Library/Bookstore on College Street. Some of the key stops are at Applebee’s, Walmart, and Boone Mall.

• GREEN ROUTE – Provides service on the 421 corridor east and west of downtown Boone. The main campus stop is at the ASU Library/Bookstore on College Street. Some of the key stops are at New Market Center and the Watauga County Social Services Center.

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I like the Appalcart idea :)

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hill Street actually isn't "officially" open to tailgating:

Hill Street is where all the students who were kicked out of their spots in Stadium and Greenwood park. So you won't be able to park at Hill St because I guarantee all those spots will be taken Friday night. The best place to tailgate for visiting fans is wherever you can get a spot.

I was hoping on hitting the Greenwood lot around 9 or 10 AM....too late you think?

MYTAPPY
December 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Just a little heads up Penguin faithful, most tailgating lots will be full by around 10 a.m. or so. So try and set up early if you plan on tailgating. We hope you enjoy the High Country and welcomexprost2x

ITEagle
December 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
You really should rethink the Scottish... seriously... biggest dump in town.

is the Cardinal Motel still there? god that place was horrible...good luck to both teams...i will be watching from home xlolx :( xlolx

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
the lots will open at 930 because of the 4pm start so be there then... raley will be full by 10 greenwood probably more like 11or 12

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Finally.

ASU is going down hard.

You are AGS' version of Lee Corso. Thank you for ensuring an ASU win this weekend. :hurray:

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Not smack, but from what I saw of YSU on the TV I think they are going to have a hell of a time with our speed. I thought they looked similar to Montana State - a team that is not explosive but doesn't tend to beat themselves either. That's the type of team that can give us fits if we are careless with the football like we were on Saturday. If we play well on offense though, it could get ugly late in the game.

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM
the lots will open at 930 because of the 4pm start so be there then... raley will be full by 10 greenwood probably more like 11or 12

Thanks for the info on Greenwood...that's where I'll be. Friday night it looks like I'll be at a place called Geno's Sportsbar which looks real close the the Super 8. Stop by either one and talk some football....just look for the spot of red among all the black and gold :)

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Not smack, but from what I saw of YSU on the TV I think they are going to have a hell of a time with our speed. I thought they looked similar to Montana State - a team that is not explosive but doesn't tend to beat themselves either. That's the type of team that can give us fits if we are careless with the football like we were on Saturday. If we play well on offense though, it could get ugly late in the game.

Yes, YSU's D has so much trouble with quarterbacks who are able to run.

BULLDOG8180
December 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Dang, 18 pages of travel arrangements. Where is the football discussion??

proasu89
December 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM
is the Cardinal Motel still there? god that place was horrible...good luck to both teams...i will be watching from home xlolx :( xlolx
The Cardinal is long gone. The hospital bought the land for future development. It was such an eyesore that it was almost demolished and grassed over over night. My family had to stay there the night before freshmen could move in. Boy was my mom pissed at dad for not making reservations.xlolx

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Sorry man, first things first. We're lucky to have had the chance to see each other on TV already, shouldn't be too many suprises.

tralfangar
December 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info on Greenwood...that's where I'll be. Friday night it looks like I'll be at a place called Geno's Sportsbar which looks real close the the Super 8. Stop by either one and talk some football....just look for the spot of red among all the black and gold :)

Geno's will be a great place to watch the Montana-UMass game. Good choice.

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah good choice on Geno's, it's the place to go. But while you're there make sure to carve out a couple of hours to at least drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If the skies are clear you will be very glad you took the time to do it.

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Your speed worries me. The last time we played a team with what ASU appears to have was Ga Southern in the '99 championship game. We traded a few touchdowns than the wheels fell off.
Our only answer to speed is to play ball control and grind it out. If your D can answer this, you may be right about it getting ugly. If your D is not up to the task of stopping Mason, you will find your speed can't do much sitting on the bench! I may be wrong, but other that JMU, I don't think ASU's D has tasted a power attack like the Penguins will bring. Saturday will tell!

Saint3333
December 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM
YSU has a more balanced offense than either CCU or MSU. While we will see more run, the defense will not be able to key on one as much as they did the last two weeks.

If our DT play well and can keep your lineman off our linebackers ASU should win.

I'd expect this game's total score to be about twice that of the other game.

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
This game by far is the toughest contest for the Penguins. If YSU can win and stay healthy, I think they will win the National Championship. However, that is a big IF!

Appalachian State is and should be favored in this game. They have an all-around good team with multi-talented Armanti Edwards at the helm. Edwards can do it all -- run, pass, receive. I'm surprised he doesn't kick field goals and punt! He will definitely be in the NFL. YSU has trouble stopping such quarterbacks so they better carefully study the film and give their defense plenty of practice time before kickoff time in Boone.

Before going to the Ice Castle, I caught the 1st half of ASU/MSU. They live up to their #1 ranking which proves that in order to be #1 you must beat #1.

Watching the game proves that they are beatable despite living up to #1. Montana State failed to capitalize on ASU fumbles. YSU needs to dive on the ball if one occurs, not try to fool around.

99% of the time, I prefer to defer if I win the coin toss. Since YSU is an underdog, maybe receiving could be better. A touchdown on the opening drive could give YSU a lot of momentum. Also, the special teams coach better have something planned for kickoffs. The kickoff coverage versus Illinois State was horrible. It prompted me to tell Bishop to boot it out of bounds (or even onside kick every time).

Also, none of this conservative crap in the 4th quarter. Play like you want to win all 60 minutes. I can see running 100% of the time with 3 minutes left, but 9 minutes? C'mon! You can run and milk time most of the time, but surprise the D with a play action pass! If YSU plays ultraconservative, expect Appalachian State to go to Chatty and beat the Montana/UMass winner.

Enough of these weak schedule excuses. YSU better realize that App State is for real!

My parents are in town this weekend so I will be heading to a bar and catching the game!

GO PENGUINS!

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
You're right about that, but I would like to point out that several ASU fans have been informative and helpful in this and other threads. Make this food for thought the next time a poster bashes App fans saying that the majority of us are arrogant jerks.

In terms of football discussion, I've only gotten to see YSU against James Madison. They looked strong in that game, and proved they're good in tight situations. Their defense stepped it up against the Dukes when it counted most, and they pulled out an exciting win. It's that poise when the game is on the line that makes this App fan nervous about the Penguins.

ASU's playoff habit so far has been to come hard out of the gate and get a quick lead before the other team gets a chance to settle down and adjust. I'd guess that the home field plays a part in that process; I can't imagine how any road team at KBS wouldn't come in with some measure of
"jitters" (not paralyzing fear, mind you, just jitters). Both CCU and MSU settled down well, and, if not for ASU's early leads in both games, those adjustments would have made the games much closer.

I'd say the early ASU lead is key, because YSU will put up a good fight for the duration. I'm guessing 27-17 ASU; YSU makes it 21-17, and has chances to take the lead in the 2nd half, but ASU's defense steps up, forces a three-and-out here and a turnover there, and sets up a short drive to make it a 10-point ASU victory.

I'll be on the edge of my seat until late in the 4th quarter.

Appguy
December 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I wonder if any YSU fans will find anyone in a purple jacket to call a fgt like during the JMU game..did any of you all hear that on espn?

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I wonder if any YSU fans will find anyone in a purple jacket to call a fgt like during the JMU game..did any of you all hear that on espn?

I DID! Among other things. Although most (not all) YSU fans will deny that their fans participate in such antics and that ALL JMU fans are the anti-Christ.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Now, to the game. I'm excited to see YSU's O-line against ASU's front 7. It was obvious that Montana State was having problems with the pass rush, but I think YSU's O-line is A LOT better than Montana State's. I'm also excited to see that defense against Marcus Mason (I think the winner of that battle probably wins the game!)

But, when that gets reversed and YSU is on defense, I think they're going to have trouble stopping Edwards AND Richardson. In the JMU game, both Holloman and Rascati had some good success on the ground and Edwards is faster than Rascati and Richardson is more powerful than Holloman. Focusing on one will let the other run wild. However, some of Edward's youth got exposed in the first half on Saturday and I wonder how he'll handle the pressure the further this goes. ASU probably won't be able to overcome a lot of turnovers against YSU, unless, obviously, they can force a few to make up for it. That's easier said than done because of YSU's experience.

If Edwards can limit his mistakes and ASU holds Mason under 120 yards, I think they can win by a touchdown. But, throw in some turnovers and a big day by Mason and YSU wins by a touchdown.

Can't wait for this one!!

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I DID! Among other things. Although most (not all) YSU fans will deny that their fans participate in such antics and that ALL JMU fans are the anti-Christ.

I heard that one...I think they moved the mics out of the student section, or vice-versa.

I don't imagine alcohol, microphones and students is a good mix at any stadium if you want to braodcast the game.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I heard that one...I think they moved the mics out of the student section, or vice-versa.

I don't imagine alcohol, microphones and students is a good mix at any stadium if you want to braodcast the game.
I think it's fine as long as you don't mind the FCC fines aftewards! xlolx

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM
the library is where you need to go to watch the umass/montana game in boone...i mean cmon every table has it's own lcd screen on top of the huge screens all over the walls, the hot girls in school girl outfits, and good food...how can you go wrong

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM
random fact: Appalachian State was part of the 2nd game EVER broadcast on ESPN (ASU vs Western Carolina)....and we haven't been on there since (only espn2 etc)

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
ASU D line is as good as they come and I think that will be the key to us winning along with... Edwards holding onto the ball!

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
YSU is an engima. I have followed YSU since 1990 and have missed very few games. This year, from a pure talent standpoint, they may be the best I have seen. However, they do not always play that way.

I have not had the opportunity to see ASU but I have followed them on this board and in the news going back to the mid 90s... They always seemed to play second fiddle to Georgia Southern and its nice to see them coming into the spotlight the last few years.

YSU has looked slower than several of the teams they have played this year. Yet, in the end, YSU has done what it takes to win. I have to give Coach Heacock credit in that the team plays the full game and does not quit. Even against Northern Iowa, they had a chance to tie the game in the closing minutes.

The offense has many weapons but all of them depend on the offensive lines ability to control the line of scrimmage.

The defense seems to lack speed but they are by no measure slow.

No matter what happens, both of these teams and their fans are deserving of the finals. .

Its nice to see that ASU has classy knowledgeable football fans.

Good luck to both squads

YSUalum

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I don't know...Fox has taken over the BCS. That sounds like their kind of party!

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
YSU is an engima. I have followed YSU since 1990 and have missed very few games. This year, from a pure talent standpoint, they may be the best I have seen. However, they do not always play that way.

I have not had the opportunity to see ASU but I have followed them on this board and in the news going back to the mid 90s... They always seemed to play second fiddle to Georgia Southern and its nice to see them coming into the spotlight the last few years.

YSU has looked slower than several of the teams they have played this year. Yet, in the end, YSU has done what it takes to win. I have to give Coach Heacock credit in that the team plays the full game and does not quit. Even against Northern Iowa, they had a chance to tie the game in the closing minutes.

The offense has many weapons but all of them depend on the offensive lines ability to control the line of scrimmage.

The defense seems to lack speed but they are by no measure slow.

No matter what happens, both of these teams and their fans are deserving of the finals. .

Its nice to see that ASU has classy knowledgeable football fans.

Good luck to both squads

YSUalum

Nice post! I have no knowledge of YSU either, other than being aware of their 4 NC's in the 1990s. But I have been going to ASU games for at least 15 years, probably more like 20.

I saw another poster suggest that YSU & ASU should have a home & home arrangement as they are only about 7 hours apart. I could not agree more. Maybe our AD's will have the same idea.

As far as how ASU compares to other ASU teams of prior years, this team is truly special. I have never seen a more complete package. All opponents seem to dwell on is our freshman QB. If he is a weakness, all I have to say is that I am anticipating 3 more years of being weak!! MSU's coach described him as a "skeeter-bug". Apt description. Offense, defense, special teams - it's all there.

The discussion about ASU invariably centers around our team speed. All I can say is WOW, they are even faster and quicker than advertised. But don't assume that fast = small. Our DE runs the 40 in 4.4 sec. He's big enough that he has more sacks for loss than any player in ASU history.

Anyway, looking forward to YSU in Boone on Saturday. Good luck!!!

WELCOME TO THE ROCK.

MountaineerDrive
December 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM

...what does this have to do with App and YSU? I know for a fact Furman gets that type of treatment from our worst fans, why bring up YSU's worst fans?

Appguy
December 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
...what does this have to do with App and YSU
it was a joke

penguinfan
December 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
We all have the fans we would rather forget about. It is a shame that a few miscreants can give such classy programs a black eye. You just have to accept they are there, in any program, and hope the rest of the fan base can shed the tarnish.

penguin8797
December 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I am concerned with ASU's speed. YSU's defense is slow, especially since we are now comparing them to the best offenses in the FCS. Losing linebacker Jeremiah Wright for the season at Penn State was a big loss. Against ISU our DB's were way off their receivers. It looks like they want to keep it all in front, the bend but don't break mentality that Tressel used. Force the opposition run more plays and give the opposition more chances to make mistakes. On other hand YSU must keep possession of the ball on long time consuming drives without making mistakes to have any chance. I hope the Oline is OK, I know there were some dings after the JMU game. I see it as either a close game or an ASU blowout, no way YSU wins by much if they can pull it off. Statistically this looks like a no brainer, but I've seen so many of these games go in YSU's favor, I used to swear Tressel had sold his soul to the Devil. This year maybe Heacock sold his. If so I hope he gets his money's worth!

APPST '93
December 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Super 8 is probably another half-mile away from the stadium than Scottish, but it puts you next door to Mel's Diner, which is a decent place to eat. It's one of those silver-building, retro kind of places.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=572673

The Super 8 is out past Geno's. Try the High Country Inn if you plan on going to Geno's friday night. Geno's is connected to HCI.

BeauFoster
December 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I am concerned with ASU's speed. YSU's defense is slow, especially since we are now comparing them to the best offenses in the FCS. Losing linebacker Jeremiah Wright for the season at Penn State was a big loss. Against ISU our DB's were way off their receivers. It looks like they want to keep it all in front, the bend but don't break mentality that Tressel used. Force the opposition run more plays and give the opposition more chances to make mistakes. On other hand YSU must keep possession of the ball on long time consuming drives without making mistakes to have any chance. I hope the Oline is OK, I know there were some dings after the JMU game. I see it as either a close game or an ASU blowout, no way YSU wins by much if they can pull it off. Statistically this looks like a no brainer, but I've seen so many of these games go in YSU's favor, I used to swear Tressel had sold his soul to the Devil. This year maybe Heacock sold his. If so I hope he gets his money's worth!

Keeping William Mayfield in front of the coverage is one of the worst things that YSU could do. I can think of at least 3 times App went to him when the coverage was soft on Saturday and he made MSU pay with 10+ yard gains each time. Those 3 plays didn't completely change the outcome of the game, but I know at least one was on 3rd and long and went for a first down.

ITEagle
December 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
The Cardinal is long gone. The hospital bought the land for future development. It was such an eyesore that it was almost demolished and grassed over over night. My family had to stay there the night before freshmen could move in. Boy was my mom pissed at dad for not making reservations.xlolx

Did they still have the iron rings as the locks that you just loop over the doorknob from the inside? haha that is what we were faced with the first time a buddy of mine and i went up to see gsu and asu play...we wound up cancelling that room and high tailing it over to i think it was comfort inn and suits...whatever it is beside Mel's Diner...that place still there? now that was some great late night hangover food!!!

proasu89
December 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Did they still have the iron rings as the locks that you just loop over the doorknob from the inside? haha that is what we were faced with the first time a buddy of mine and i went up to see gsu and asu play...we wound up cancelling that room and high tailing it over to i think it was comfort inn and suits...whatever it is beside Mel's Diner...that place still there? now that was some great late night hangover food!!!
It was 21 years ago when we "camped out" at the Cardinal. Mel's has changed hands a couple of times and is now Troy's 105 Diner. Had lunch there last week and was pleasantly surprised.

FlyYtown
December 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Well looks like the App's are only giving YSU 500 tickets for the game. I definately think we will have more than 500 there.. .I know 20 now off hand who are going, and thats just between a few family and friends.
------------
For some reason or another YSU's defense won 5 of the 14 all conference awards in the Gateway.... Athlete wise: they are very very good... but with the exception of the ILSU and WKU games, they have not been able to put more than 4 quarters together, let alone an entire half. They must play their best game of the year and prevent Edwards from getting loose like Rascati had success doing. Defensively passing the ball YSU has to stop the conservative zone that has been plagueing them hundreds of yards each and every week. The opposing teams WR's get 5-10 yards after the catch before even being touched.. THAT MUST IN.

Special Teams Wise.. The PAT and Field Goal team has improved drastically here in the playoffs, and that a lot of that can go on K Brian Palmer. He has made all the extra points and a few tough Field Goals against JMU which proved to be the game winner.

Offensively... Don't stop doing what you have done all year. ASU will not stop the run like JMU did and Mason is back to 100%. Utilize the passing game to keep the ASU defense offense and try to run some screens to Mason-Gibson-Ison and any other son on this team!

YSU must find a way to quiet the ASU crowd so they cannot be a factor, they have played at Penn St. and frankly played in one of the toughest environments for 8 games this season.

I won't predict this game till week's end...... but I do wanna mention all my predictions for YSU's point total have been + or - 5 points for every game this year.... Can I made it 14 in a row this week?

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Special Teams Wise.. The PAT and Field Goal team has improved drastically here in the playoffs, and that a lot of that can go on K Brian Palmer. He has made all the extra points and a few tough Field Goals against JMU which proved to be the game winner.

Fly,

I do have to say Palmer is a big reason why we've made it this far. He proved himself to be clutch versus JMU. His field goals were all down the middle. No near missed. I think Palmer's finally come around. Maybe Jeff Wilkins took a trip to Youngstown to help him!

GoGuins
December 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM

You forgot to bring up that terrible kickoff coverage. It's horrible!:bang:

From Ytown Vindicator

Kickoff coverage
has been horrible

Getting back to the Penguins, there needs to be some serious work done this week on special teams, mainly the kickoff coverage teams. Nobody is more aware of this than coach Jon Heacock.

"I can't stand to watch it anymore," Heacock said in his postgame interview.

"We have to seriously look into some personnel changes in that unit," he said. "You can't keep giving the opposition the ball at or near midfield on every return."

Two weeks ago James Madison returned one kickoff for a touchdown 99 yards and several others out or near midfield.

Things didn't get a whole lot better Saturday night as the Redbirds had 157 yards on five kickoff returns and that included one that the Penguins did stop for just a 15-yard return. Illinois State took kickoffs back to their own 42, 47, 18 and 35 and one back to the YSU 34 in Saturday's game.

"There's no excuse for this," Heacock said. "We have all of our best athletes on that unit. I'm not questioning their effort, but something has to be done and quickly."

Kiss My Apps
December 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
ASU will not stop the run like JMU did and Mason is back to 100%.

What makes you question App's ability to stop the run? We haven't allowed a RB to top 100 yards in 12 consecutive weeks.

ASU's rushing defense - 8th nationally

YSU's rushing offense - 9th nationally

This game, like most, will be dictated by who controls the line of scrimmage.

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
What makes you question App's ability to stop the run? We haven't allowed a RB to top 100 yards in 12 consecutive weeks.

ASU's rushing defense - 8th nationally

YSU's rushing offense - 9th nationally

This game, like most, will be dictated by who controls the line of scrimmage.

Nice post there.

There's things you could question about ASU, it's run defense should not be near the top 5 of that list. The SoCon is a definite run-oriented conference and we stonewalled everyone this year. This YSU ofense will prove to be a good challenge for that group.

As before, I'm more than willing to go to the hilt with my guys until someone proves they are better. You've gotta be both big and fast to keep our defense at bay, those kind of O-lines aren't too common in I-AA. I remember last year's SIU game where the talk was how their big Gateway O-line was going to eat us up, we ran circles around them because they were too slow. Maybe YSU has such a line, one of the things I'll look forward to seeing. If they don't Mason and the running game will be sorely pressed to do too much.

GoGuins
December 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
ASU scouting report, from YSU fan perspective (latest posts at the top)

This should stir the pot a little :)

http://www.ysupenguins.com/cgi-bin/ib3new/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=3618

APPST '93
December 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
ASU scouting report, from YSU fan perspective (latest posts at the top)

This should stir the pot a little :)

http://www.ysupenguins.com/cgi-bin/ib3new/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=3618

paladin1aa
Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doing research and looked around for scouting info. Concentrated on the O so far. Will bring up D later, which is really the App. St strength. Coaches will see some things I'm sure that catches their eye vs a Frosh QB and a finesse O. I think we'll have some surprises in store for ASU. This has upset written all over it.

No team has won the NC with a true Frosh at QB. Yet thats what ASU is attempting to do. Edwards is a true Frosh, 6'0, 165 and lots of speed. Makes good decisions, but is prone to turn-overs and mistakes. ASU runs a finesse O ( option) with speed their strength . They are not a power team . Too many teams did not stop him ,trying to shut off the pitch man instead. Edwards has not seen a D that handles the option well this season. Waterloo time !!!

The RB is Richardson, a 5'9, 190 Jr. Lots of speed here too. He needs to get outside for big damage as he is too small to bang inside much .

The biggest threat at WR is Jackson, 5'10,170 -- a major speed freak. Also handles KO & punt returns. We will have to shut him down to win.

Looking at the schedule, ASU caught an easy year in the SoCon, which was weak this year ( Geo. Southern way down, Furman OK but not tough and Wofford was third and also not all that good) and have been lucky with match-ups in the play-offs with Coastal Carolina and Mont. St. -- two schools who are lucky to even be in the tournament. Both of them are weak. Other than losing to a weak N.C. St team and winning vs JMU early, their stats aren't overwhelming. In short, they really haven't played anyone thats real good and not several ranked teams for stiff competition.

In short, YSU's D has always been set-up to handle option teams and has good success. With ASU fielding a small O team and depending on finesse, we catch a break from what we normally face in the GFC and should have good schemes in place for ASU. Now ASU is good and the game should be a close one, but not undoable. Turn-overs could be key for us beating ASU and if the O stays efficient for us, we are going to put up points . Kickers I rate as even, both punting and PK.

Researching the ASU D now.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The article above is from YSU's site.

Please get this guy on our AGS board.

Stop the option and we pass. Stop the pass and we run the option. We do both very damn good!

The last time I check, Kevin runs up the middle and breaks to the outside off a tackle or turns it inside if the hole is big enough for his 5'9" 190 frame. Believe me...the hole doesn't have to be that big. By the way, your "D" will not know 80% of the time if he has the ball becaue he can hide behind his "O" line.

Mayfield is our best receiver. STUD!!!!!!! 6'2" 220 1022yds receiving

Jackson does have speed so you better keep an eye on him. I think Hill has taken over some of the returns and he runs a 4.3 40. That's speed!

GoGuins
December 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
paladin1aa

Please get this guy on our AGS board.

He is on here, been on here for years. Same name. Pally calls them like he sees them and he's usually pretty accurate

Kiss My Apps
December 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

I really like the analysis of our offensive strengths and weaknesses:

The RB is Richardson, a 5'9, 190 Jr. Lots of speed here too. He needs to get outside for big damage as he is too small to bang inside much .

The biggest threat at WR is Jackson, 5'10,170 -- a major speed freak. Also handles KO & punt returns. We will have to shut him down to win.

Has this guy watched us play? :confused:

RECEIVING REC YDS AVG TD
William Mayfield 57 1022 17.9 5
Dexter Jackson 28 385 13.8 3

Come on... do some research guy.

Kiss My Apps
December 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I want to know where all of this garbage about us running an option offense came from. We run an option with a pitch man maybe a handful of times a game. MSU fans had the same false perception of our offensive scheme.

GoGuins
December 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I want to know where all of this garbage about us running an option offense came from. We run an option with a pitch man maybe a handful of times a game. MSU fans had the same false perception of our offensive scheme.

I heard YSU is breaking out the wishbone for this game. The 3 "sons" Mason, Gibson, & Ison paving the way:rotateh:

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
ive only noticed us run the option in the last 2 games and maybe 2-3 times in the last game....we run a spread offense which our coaches learned from West Virginia

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yep. I'm around , GoGuins. Lets see WHO these guys built their record with--

West. Carolina 2-9
Geo. South 3-8
UT-C 3-8
Elon 5-6
Citadel 5-6
Mars Hill 4-7 ( LOL)
Gardner -Webb 6-5
Wofford 7-4
Furman 8-4
Lost to 3-9 N.C. St (who LOST AT HOME to 5-7 Akron 20-17 ).

I KNOW HOW the stats were built and against who. Jackson is the DEEP threat and Richardson is the RB to stop. Their D is as small as we will have played against in YEARS. That speed is scaring the H out of me !! xlolx

And its good to know they really DON'T have an option QB !! LOL !!!

ncguitarplyr
December 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
^and we're favored against you and we're the #1 team in the country and defending national champs so whats that say about your team

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Thats says you have played NO ONE, yet are #1. Should we concede now ?? LOL !! We are just big and not fast, can't run and chew gum at the same time. Oh, woe is us !!!!

I'd suggest you get a good seat and see a REAL FB game Saturday.

It will be an eye-opener !! :D

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Thats says you have played NO ONE, yet are #1. Should we concede now ?? LOL !! We are just big and not fast, can't run and chew gum at the same time. Oh, woe is us !!!!

I'd suggest you get a good seat and see a REAL FB game Saturday.

It will be an eye-opener !! :D
I'm looking forward to a real FB game. I just hope you can handle it if this unproven, beat-lots-of-patsies team beats your great Gateway champs.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I guess that depends on your definition of the option. I think ASU ran the option pitch MAYBE 3 times on Saturday (like you said). But the QB Select play where he's in the shotgun with Richardson beside him could be considered an option play, too (although the chances are that it's already been decided who gets the ball). That play's deadly with a QB like Edwards and I think ASU uses that quite a bit.

That's the only way I could define ASU's offense as an option offense.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM

I had the same thought. Must be an "option" if they don't know how to stop it. Maybe the play really is just hand the QB the ball and see what develops. Nah.

Has anyone else seen the junk from the YSU board? Apparently, ASU is too small, too fast, never played anyone other than St. Mary's School for the Stupid, too young, and playing in a "down" conference. Maybe, but maybe not. I've been watching ASU football for about 20 years. I have never seen a team like this. Offense, Defense, Special Teams - it's all there. If one part makes a mistake, there is always the rest of the team to cover.

Keep on thinking we're a bunch of wannabee football players. There is NO reason to even prepare. Just come on up to Boone for a nice game of flag football. Heck, you don't even need any coaches. Just drive on up to Boone with that attitude & there may be some surprises in store.

The fact is we are the defending national champs for a reason. That's because we haven't been beaten. Duh! All my ranting is just for this reason - How about a little credit? Just a tad?

As I recall, Southern Illinois said EXACTLY the same thing last year. As I recall more recently, MSU said EXACTLY the same thing last Saturday.

For my part, I want to personally welcome YSU to Boone, hope they bring their best game, and good luck to all.

WELCOME TO THE ROCK.

BigApp
December 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
... checking out all the extras that played in 'Deliverance" !! xlolx xlolx xlolx .

Fella, we're located in Boone, NC not Statesboro, GA. :p

AshevilleApp
December 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
This is funny.....ASU didn't play anybody, yadda-yadda. Two points

1. The schedule does not look great o.k. but ASU clearly destroyed the lower level teams then destroyed Furman as well. I'd say that App would beat NC State if they played them again with Armanti starting.

2. This is pretty much the same team (minus the QB spot) that won the national championship last year.

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
James.

I read the posts on the YSU board. I don't think that it meant to imply that you are wannabees.....

Back several years ago, we had some problems with teams that had huge defensive lines. Under Tressel, we tended to go with smaller d lines but more speed.... Basically lots of LBs on the D line. Anyway, teams started getting bigger dlines and that trend has continued. I think that the comment about "small defensive line" was kind of a statement not a slight. I read it as you are a defense that relies on speed versus bulk. Could be related to the style of defense your coordinator prefers.

Actually, I have not looked up the sizes because, in general, I think a lot of them are inaccurate. Would you characterize your D as smaller than most but faster?

YSUalum

B&G
December 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
We do have a smallish defense but the only thing I have seen exploited with any consistancy is that we have short CB's. If you have a big athletic WR, you might be able to chuck it in the air and let him go get it. But you better be perfect b/c our DB's are excellent playmakers. We can be run on up the middle with the Georgia Southern game being a good example of that. Aside from that we don't have a lot to exploit with out smallish defense.

I see YSU having a lot of problems keeping ASU out of the end zone whereas ASU won't shut down YSU's offense but will be able to stop them enough to make sure we have more points at the end. The biggest X-factor is turnover margin.

YesAppCan
December 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Hope many of the YSU fans will make the trek down to Boone, for what should be a great college football game. I Hope all making the trip have safe travels. Would love to get to chat with you folks. I think you will like the town of Boone. And if you need a really nice Christmas tree, the choose-and-cut lots are all around.

BigApp
December 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM

BD, same thing happened last week. Led me to create a football talk only thread. Guess the admin around here didn't like that idea and merged the two together. Can't win for losing. : smh :

I agree with you though.

SirApp
December 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I believe that the key to this game for Youngstown St. is how Zetts performs. Mason will get his yards, he didn't get 4th in the Payton for nothing. I'm unsure of the ability of the YSU receivers, I'm going to look into their performances later on this week. But if Zetts plays like he did against JMU, the Apps have their hands full.

The key for ASU is to limit the turnovers. If we win the turnover battle, I like our chances.

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
SirApp

Statistically the receivers for YSU may not look that good. Traditionally we rely on our running game. That said, I think they are pretty darn good. Peterson has been a clutch go to receiver all year. Irizarry (TE) was highly recruited and went to Ohio State. Got into some trouble and ended up at YSU. He is originally from Youngstown so he just went home... He is a tremendous athlete but, he does not get all the snaps at TE. Rory Berry has also played well at TE and WR. Josh Cayson was a good running back his first years here and has moved to WR. The backs are also good catching passes out of the backfield.

I think the passing game has been overshadowed by the running game not because of talent. More of a philosophy since late November early December tend to be tough on passing teams... Zetts has been a pretty accurate passer through his career here with the exception of the Northern Iowa game. He through 4 ints in that game and 6 in the rest of the year.

YSUalum

PenguinPride23
December 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
In that scouting report link that was posted a couple pages back, they were wondering about the health of OLmen Jewell and Tanner. Anybody know the status of these two? They're critical factors in the run game and we're gonna need to get Mason going if we want to have a chance.

SirApp
December 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM
What type of offensive scheme do you all run? I think I read a couple pages back the wishbone was going to be implemented?

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
What type of offensive scheme do you all run? I think I read a couple pages back the wishbone was going to be implemented?

I think someone was pulling your leg.... We have not ran the wishbone.. We do run some options (a zone option) but basically either an I formation with QB under center or a shotgun with backs on 1 or both sides....

YSUalum

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
If anyone is interested ASU runs a spread attack with the QB always in shotgun

SirApp
December 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I think someone was pulling your leg.... We have not ran the wishbone.. We do run some options (a zone option) but basically either an I formation with QB under center or a shotgun with backs on 1 or both sides....

YSUalum

Kinda figured, didn't really make sense to me at the time.....but I'm pretty gullible so I believe things as I read them. How is your FB? More of a run blocker/pass blocker or does he get a lot of carries as well?

YSUalum
December 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Kinda figured, didn't really make sense to me at the time.....but I'm pretty gullible so I believe things as I read them. How is your FB? More of a run blocker/pass blocker or does he get a lot of carries as well?

He gets some carries, blocks some, and catches passes... Obviously the tailback is the featured runner but Ison (FB) has been good.

YSUalum

Happy Penguin
December 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Our FB's are both very good, and underrated and under-utilized IMO. They don't touch the ball much, but Ison is a great lead blocker and receiver....he had a few carries last game, some games he gets none.

Lane is the other FB...he goes around 260 and is primarily a blocker. Pretty nimble for a guy his size though...he won't see the field much if trends hold.

When we go shotgun and 2 backs, we use 2 halfbacks. They're both excellent 1A caliber players.

CamelCityYosef
December 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Coupla points, to elaborate on what's been already said above;

1) I think another key to the spread offense is that it is a no-huddle spread offense. This lets App come out of the blocks with an offensive pace of play that is unlike what most teams face. I think this leads to App's uncanny knack for firing off a couple of early scores while the opposing defense is still getting settled.

2) Yeah, like someone said, the CBs are on the smallish side. If you have a big, athletic receivers, we might give up a long jump ball or two. BUT, our guys are tremendous athletes themselves-- they will adjust to an underthrown ball very quickly and make you wish to have it back. Also, the D-line puts tremendous pressure on the pocket, which makes it difficult for the long ball play to develop. That's how MSU's Jefferson was taken out of the receiving game on Saturday and turned into a quarterback (and we all know how that worked out).

That's just my two-bit opinion.

I'm really looking forward to this matchup. I think both teams are going to face their most challenging opponent of the season.

Saint3333
December 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Well looks like the App's are only giving YSU 500 tickets for the game. I definately think we will have more than 500 there.. .I

ASU has reserved section 8 & 9 for YSU (1500 seats). They probably only sent section 9 seats to the YSU ticket office and then they sell section 8 tickets to YSU fans that call the ASU ticket office like they did for the CCU game.

AppGirl
December 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I agree with filling the stands and the quality of the YSU fans here. I couldn't be there last weekend 'cause I was hosting my father-in-law's 75th birthday party. (I did wear my ASU earrings and a black and gold outfit to the party!) We'll be in Boone this weekend, no matter the weather. In Chatty, too, if the team is there. My hubby only missed 2 games this year, Chatty for the kids soccer games, and last week. Our 13 yr old is even writing a paper about ASU football.

See you in Boone.

Go App!!:hurray: :hurray:

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry -- no huddle spread O. Been there, done that vs. Maine this year who uses the same attack . We had no film on them and no scouting report. Took a quarter to set them up and blow them away.

YSU has seen several no huddle spread O's over the years. This week we have time to "prepare". LOL !!! "

BillLuc1982
December 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Our 13 yr old is even writing a paper about ASU football.

Now if that's not fan loyalty, then what is? :smiley_wi

mistersykes
December 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I agree with filling the stands and the quality of the YSU fans here.

Me too. Cheers to them. It's a pleasant change and almost makes me wish we didn't have to play them. But it'll be good. Hopefully a lot less Extra-curricular than the MSU game. :)

I hear that tickets are selling well so far. I haven't bought mine yet, but you can count on me being in the student section.:thumbsup:

AshevilleApp
December 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
ASU Line Sizes

DL-Tharrington 6-1, 255 lbs
DT-Orlebar 6-3, 295 lbs
DT-Byrom 6-2, 255 lbs
DL-Murrell 6-2, 245 lbs

Byrom actually looks bigger so he may have put on some size. Orlebar doesn't get many tackles but he is key to the push. Murrell and Tharrington utilize their speed advantage over slower interior linemen.

ASU O-Line

Acitelli 6-2, 255 lbs
Isenhour 6-1, 275 lbs
Suttle 6-0, 260 lbs
Holt 6-2, 260 lbs
Brown 6-6, 300 lbs

Just checking YSU's O-Line.....they are huge. ASU will probably rely on its outside speed for pash-rush

YSU D-Line actually not much bigger than ASU's

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Ditto. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry -- no huddle spread O. Been there, done that vs. Maine this year who uses the same attack . We had no film on them and no scouting report. Took a quarter to set them up and blow them away.

YSU has seen several no huddle spread O's over the years. This week we have time to "prepare". LOL !!! "

Did Maine have quality players like QB Armanti Edwards and RB Kevin Richardson?

And the quality of OL?

appfan2008
December 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
The weather looks like it will be perfect for some cool tailgating weather. Low 40's dropping into the 30's during the game... can you say ideal! It would have been fun though to play the night before though with temps in the low 20's. For the best weather coverage in the area here is the best site.
http://www.booneweather.com/

apper195
December 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I've gotta say...................these YSU fans are a pretty good bunch as a whole from what I've seen. Good reasonable discussion so far!!!