PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 3

superman7515
September 19th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Week 3 is just about in the books as I type this, but there are still a couple of late games going. Not sure if I'll get to the Northern Iowa/Cal Poly game before the night is over, Northern Arizona and Arizona are in the second quarter, and UC Davis just kicked off against Hawaii, so if something good happens for the Aggies, I definitely won't be awake to see it when the game is over in about three hours. That being said, I figured I'd post the link now in case the poll is opened up before I finish in the morning. Remember that the Sagarin Rankings are through last weeks games until you see the asterisks removed and that the results hyperlink to recap articles to help give a little more insight than just a box score. Not everything has an article as of this posting because some games have just finished recently in the west.

If you notice any errors, please let me know so I can get them corrected and thank you all for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week and for your help in keeping it accurate and useful!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_c39oG7A_aso39xD5U9WxUyZg14hJqMNK1FKvxxZ7_g/edit?usp=sharing

superman7515
September 20th, 2015, 06:29 AM
All of the final scores are entered and linked to articles, just waiting on the Sagarin rankings to update later this morning.

Congrats to Robert Morris for the big win over Notre Dame! xlolx

Nova09
September 20th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Isn't UNI 2-1 now?

UNI Pike
September 20th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Isn't UNI 2-1 now?
Yes

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Professor Chaos
September 20th, 2015, 10:14 AM
It's interesting how two teams, Montana and Cal Poly, who are probably still in comfortably for pretty much everyone's top 25, are both literally 1 play away from being 0-3.

Also, WTF is going on with the Southland? SHSU, SFA, and UCA combined 0-7 to start the season. Only 4 teams with winning records and two are Lamar and Incarnate Word. I realize they've played quite a few FBS games as a conference but man, they're not looking favorable to get more than 2 playoff bids tops with their OOC performances so far.

grayghost06
September 20th, 2015, 11:18 AM
It's interesting how two teams, Montana and Cal Poly, who are probably still in comfortably for pretty much everyone's top 25, are both literally 1 play away from being 0-3.

Also, WTF is going on with the Southland? SHSU, SFA, and UCA combined 0-7 to start the season. Only 4 teams with winning records and two are Lamar and Incarnate Word. I realize they've played quite a few FBS games as a conference but man, they're not looking favorable to get more than 2 playoff bids tops with their OOC performances so far.

Last week Montana dropped one spot in the AGS poll after losing to a team ranked 12 spots lower. This week, they lost to a team ranked 9 spots lower. Based on last weeks' voting, the Griz will stay the same or rise.

That said, Montana should be commended for a heck of a OOC schedule. Wish we had a more interesting schedule. Still, when you lose, you gotta expect to drop some.

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Last week Montana dropped one spot in the AGS poll after losing to a team ranked 12 spots lower. This week, they lost to a team ranked 9 spots lower. Based on last weeks' voting, the Griz will stay the same or rise.

That said, Montana should be commended for a heck of a OOC schedule. Wish we had a more interesting schedule. Still, when you lose, you gotta expect to drop some.

Your logic is very sound, but I think we can all expect the Griz to drop a bit since this is 2 losses in a row. When you see 1-2 next to a team its tough to keep them in the Top 10. I think they should be right around #13-15 behind Cal Poly and Liberty.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Your logic is very sound, but I think we can all expect the Griz to drop a bit since this is 2 losses in a row. When you see 1-2 next to a team its tough to keep them in the Top 10. I think they should be right around #13-15 behind Cal Poly and Liberty.
So a 1-2 poly team is top 10 (or 13) material?

Did you see the same Poly team I did?

So we have 3 Big Sky teams that would be top 10 or 15, in your opinion, that are 1-2...?

superman7515
September 20th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Isn't UNI 2-1 now?

Sorry, flip-flopped them and Cal Poly above them when I was putting in the records. Fixed it now.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 11:52 AM
If I may make a case for Portland State of the now "down" Big Sky, let me turn to what Washington State has done. Their only loss so far was to Portland State. They have since beat Big 10 Rutgers in New Jersey and have since followed that up with a win at home against Wyoming. They are 2-1. Compare that to Kansas who South Dakota State beat for the FCS only other win over a P5 opponent. The Jayhawks followed up their home loss to SDSU with a blowout home loss to AAC's Memphis team (a non P5 team).

Just some food for thought...

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I give the Vikings credit until proven otherwise.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
But we saw how much stock to put in a win over Wyoming in the North Dakota game

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 12:06 PM
There are now 5 FCS teams with FBS wins. Only two of these FBS wins were vs P5 schools (Portland St over Wazzu, and SDSU over Kansas). Wazzu is winning the powerpuff FBS games (Rutgers and Wyoming), which is more than the other FBS losers to FCS can say. UND's win over Wyoming is losing lots of luster based on their loss in what used to be the "Nickel" trophy game. Fordham's win over Army is about what's expected (as well as loss vs 'Nova). Furman's win over UCF? Pretty good win. Shame not talking about the Jacksonville St win over Auburn, THAT would have been a TOTAL BUZZ.

I back Jalmond's plea here, Portland St. despite the bye, has one of the best 2015 performances to date, and deserves discussion if not inclusion for the FCS top 10.

superman7515
September 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
And Sagarin rankings are updated, so everything is finalized with the spreadsheet.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM
But we saw how much stock to put in a win over Wyoming in the North Dakota game

Like I said, food for thought. I don't have a vote in the poll, but I think how Washington State has responded after their loss to FCS as compared to the other teams that have lost to FCS is relevant.

jmrepak
September 20th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I didn't have time so I didn't sign up for the polls this year, but I would think Liberty cracks quite a few top 10's this week as well as Bryant (next up for Costal cracks the top 35 in the AGS polls as a lot of teams ahead of them lost.

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Not entirely true as they have played each other ;)

taper
September 20th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure what to do with Villanova and Fordham. I know Nova lost their star QB midgame against a big rival, but still barely hung on against Delaware which previously seemed horrible. If Nova's no good, then Fordham's performance looses a lot of luster. Fordham's remaining schedule doesn't appear to tell me anything.

NDSU put up good numbers in our game, but if we play like that in conference we'll be lucky to reach .500. Still ranked, but definitely not #1.

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 12:45 PM
So a 1-2 poly team is top 10 (or 13) material?

Did you see the same Poly team I did?

So we have 3 Big Sky teams that would be top 10 or 15, in your opinion, that are 1-2...?

Yes, I did see that team. Just because they are leaps and bounds behind UNI doesn't mean a good portion of the FCS isn't as well. The MVFC is just that much better than everyone else and while I think there is a big gap until you get to the Big Sky, I don't think there is another conference that is closer. Those Big Sky teams and others have actually played some tough games to this point. Just because they only have 3 wins between the 3 of them doesn't mean I think they are bad teams. I'm going to have a tough time finding teams that I think would've fared better against NDSU and UNI and therefore deserve to be just outside of the Top 10 instead.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM
You're also sorely mistaken of you think UNI is that good at this point based on beating up two bad big sky defenses

Panther-State
September 20th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I'd put them in the Top 5 at the moment. NDSU, Jacksonville St, SDSU, Portland St and UNI.

It's not so much based on us beating up Cal Poly and EWU as much as the fact that very few teams in the FCS have done anything to improve their stock and look like legitimate contenders. Coastal, Sam Houston, ISUr, most of the Big Sky, etc...all took steps back this week IMO

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 01:13 PM
You're also sorely mistaken of you think UNI is that good at this point based on beating up two bad big sky defenses

Out of curiosity, what teams do you think ARE good?

I'm not ready to crown UNI, but I have a hard time finding many teams with a better resume thus far.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Out of curiosity, what teams do you think ARE good?

I'm not ready to crown UNI, but I have a hard time finding many teams with a better resume thus far.

Other than UNI'so larger than normal sized loss vs a P5 school, Panthers are rounding into a top 10 if not top 5 FCS squad. The bad news is all the challengers for UNI are in the Mvfc

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Other than UNI'so larger than normal sized loss vs a P5 school, Panthers are rounding into a top 10 if not top 5 FCS squad. The bad news is all the challengers for UNI are in the Mvfc

That's the bad news for all of us. 5-6 Top 25 teams all going head to head week to week.

ElCid
September 20th, 2015, 02:36 PM

I did not realize that Big Sky teams even fielded defenses.xrolleyesx

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 02:38 PM
It is bad news, but come selection day could be, like 2014, may be structured for another 5 bids out of Mvfc. Possible 3 seeds?

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I did not realize that Big Sky teams even fielded defenses.xrolleyesx
They don't for the most part. Best defensive team UND has no offence and isn't that good against the pass, Montana is really inconsistent.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Which game is NDSU holding their hat on, the one against Weber or the one against UND? Being the defending champs should only get you so far.

hebmskebm
September 20th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Furman's win over UCF? Pretty good win. Shame not talking about the Jacksonville St win over Auburn, THAT would have been a TOTAL BUZZ.

I enjoy all FCS wins over FBS schools, but Furman's win isn't all that much more impressive than any of the other FCS wins this season. UCF is a tire fire this year.

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Which game is NDSU holding their hat on, the one against Weber or the one against UND? Being the defending champs should only get you so far.
I don't have NDSU at 1. Weber did much better against Oregon State, UND destroyed Wyoming. NDSU looks to be back but we won't know until SDSU. And some could argue SDSU is the best team in the FCS this year.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I think some people have a hard time putting much stock in Portland State because Idaho State looks pretty bad.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 03:23 PM
I don't have NDSU at 1. Weber did much better against Oregon State, UND destroyed Wyoming. NDSU looks to be back but we won't know until SDSU. And some could argue SDSU is the best team in the FCS this year.

Granted I have not seen SDSU this year. I was extremely impressed with UNI in that game at Cal Poly. My point, there are currently 6 Mo Valley teams at 2-1 and out of those 6, NDSU is the only one whose loss was to the FCS (and a 1-2 FCS team on top of it). If NDSU is top 10, I guess one could put 7 teams from the Mo Valley in the top 10.

Cocky
September 20th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Didnt one of those Florida I or A s beat UCF? Dang, how many directional teams does FL have?

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Granted I have not seen SDSU this year. I was extremely impressed with UNI in that game at Cal Poly. My point, there are currently 6 Mo Valley teams at 2-1 and out of those 6, NDSU is the only one whose loss was to the FCS (and a 1-2 FCS team on top of it). If NDSU is top 10, I guess one could put 7 teams from the Mo Valley in the top 10.
You actually might be on to something there.....

I'm trying, literally trying, to keep from moving UNI into the top 10 because the Iowa State game is still too fresh in my memory. I'm having a tough time actually doing it. UNI is considered to be the 4th or 5th best MVFC team right now by most MVFC fans

If UNI is top 10 they are the 4th, at least, if not 5th MVFC top 10 team - NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, and UNI with YSU, ISUb, and WIU looking very close to the same quality as UNI/ISUr

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
You actually might be on to something there.....

I'm trying, literally trying, to keep from moving UNI into the top 10 because the Iowa State game is still too fresh in my memory. I'm having a tough time actually doing it. UNI is considered to be the 4th or 5th best MVFC team right now by most MVFC fans

If UNI is top 10 they are the 4th, at least, if not 5th MVFC top 10 team - NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, and UNI with YSU, ISUb, and WIU looking very close to the same quality as UNI/ISUr

I just think it would be easier for other teams in the Valley to overlook their FBS losses and claim to be top 10 than for NDSU to overlook their loss at FCS Montana and still claim to be top 5, especially with the Grizzlies sitting at 1-2, also playing a straight FCS slate so far.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 03:40 PM

So far, Sagarin agrees with this argument.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I just think it would be easier for other teams in the Valley to overlook their FBS losses and claim to be top 10 than for NDSU to overlook their loss at FCS Montana and still claim to be top 5, especially with the Grizzlies sitting at 1-2, also playing a straight FCS slate so far.
On that same type of note then, it's tough to look at a Big Sky team and say "You are top 10...may even 15" other than potentially Portland State.

PSU is 2-0 but it's the FBS win that helps them. Idaho State isn't real impressive as a win goes.
UND is 2-1 but was just made NDSU's play thing for 60 minutes. They have an FBS win, but look what Wyo is this year - curb stomped by PSU, Eastern Michigan and Wazzou. UND's other win is a 3 point win over PFL Drake (a team that last place/MVFC bottom feeder USD just stomped 52-0 a week later)
NAU is 2-1 but their wins are a D2 and a winless SFA team.
UNC is 2-1 but their wins are D2 and Houston Baptist...who is essentially a D2. They were just beaten 30-3 by SUU (SUU's only win...and they were beaten 55-10 by SDSU)

The rest of the conference is under .500.
Montana, EWU and Poly are probably fighting for the next Big Sky voting spot. Montana beat NDSU,which is a very good win. They lost to Poly, which looked okay until UNI made Poly it's play thing. That loss hurts the perception. EWU also lost to UNI, which is turning out to not be as bad of a loss as I thought it would be.

I don't know what to make of the Big Sky right now. The bottom of the conference, as it sits by record now, is better than the top, but at this point in the season are all 4 of Montana, Montana State, Poly and EWU top 25 caliber? Right now I have to say no and I don't know if even dropping it to a pick 3 of 4 gets a yes answer

I'm completely blown away by the Big Sky right now

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Montana losing to Liberty made our loss look worst, add to that Coach Klieman completely called off the dogs in the 2nd half for both UND, Weber games. Right now I am more afraid of SDSU, and perhaps UNI, YSU than any other team. We will need to get off this vanilla BS from last year or we will lose to SDSU.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 03:55 PM
East coast brethren, especially CAA fans, any CAA team worthy of top 5? Why.

Engineer86
September 20th, 2015, 04:03 PM

JMU may be, but don't think so at this point. Villanova losing Robertson hurts them. Next team I have is Liberty, Fordham and W&M but not close.

Bisonwinagn
September 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM

SDSU has always been underrated and I've never understood why. Sagarin has it correct and they should be #1 or at minimum #2.

Gangtackle11
Most if not all 1-2 teams will be on the outside looking in on my poll. A lot of 2-1 teams that play good FCS football that deserve the recognition. Those teams can redeem themselves by winning again. Do it on the field and they will be rewarded.

clenz
I have to believe that the loss of JR will hurt Nova some, and struggling with UD won't help their case. Nova has looked different this year than last, and not in a good way.
James Madison may get top 10 consideration by most. They are 3-0, but nothing earth shattering on the quality win side.
Stony Brook looked real good so far this year, but UNH looking as bad as they have hurts that SBU win some.
There could be a pretty good case for William and Mary at this point. They are 1-1 with a 1 score loss at UVa and a crushing of Lafayette. The play SBU this week so that should create separation there.

From the SLC:
SELA got beaten down by Ohio, a week after really struggling with a D2 program. Their other win is 0-3 NWSt
McNeese is 2-0 but not good wins
Lamar is 2-1 but no good wins at this point
UIW has 1 win but it's HBU
HBU has 1 win but it's non D1
The rest of the conference is winless

What the hell is going on around the nation?

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2015, 04:07 PM
SDSU has always been underrated and I've never understood why. Sagarin has it correct and they should be #1 or at minimum #2.

I'm in agreement based on performance to date.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I have to believe that the loss of JR will hurt Nova some, and struggling with UD won't help their case. Nova has looked different this year than last, and not in a good way.
James Madison may get top 10 consideration by most. They are 3-0, but nothing earth shattering on the quality win side.
Stony Brook looked real good so far this year, but UNH looking as bad as they have hurts that SBU win some.
There could be a pretty good case for William and Mary at this point. They are 1-1 with a 1 score loss at UVa and a crushing of Lafayette. The play SBU this week so that should create separation there.

From the SLC:
SELA got beaten down by Ohio, a week after really struggling with a D2 program. Their other win is 0-3 NWSt

Why is Stephen F Austin not a potential good win? They are winless, but played two solid teams in NAU and McNeese.
Why is Sam Houston not a good win? Their only loss previously was a decently played FBS game.

Gangtackle11
September 20th, 2015, 04:11 PM

I think JMU, Villanova, Stony Brook, Richmond, W&M are deserving of the polls. JMU could be a top 5 if you look at closely. Villanova is a top 10, but still slightly overrated there. UNH has some trust to build for me right now. Stony Brook is intriguing and coming fast. Too bad the Toledo game didn't get played. It would have helped to determine their early season ranking better.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Why is Stephen F Austin not a potential good win? They are winless, but played two solid teams in NAU and McNeese.
Why is Sam Houston not a good win? Their only loss previously was a decently played FBS game.
You answered your own question

3 weeks in and winless isn't a good win at this point. Should SHSU and SFA pick up a couple wins and get back to .500 and continue to play well then they will turn into good wins.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I have the same concerns for UNI. The have 2 wins - EWU and Poly. Had you told me before the season we'd have those wins and be 2-1 right now I'd have said it's a top 15 for sure and potentially top 10.

EWU and Poly have 1 win each and I have some very real concerns about Poly moving forward. I think EWU will win a bunch of games because they'll outscore others, I don't know that Poly can/will do that

JALMOND
September 20th, 2015, 04:25 PM
On that same type of note then, it's tough to look at a Big Sky team and say "You are top 10...may even 15" other than potentially Portland State.

PSU is 2-0 but it's the FBS win that helps them. Idaho State isn't real impressive as a win goes.
UND is 2-1 but was just made NDSU's play thing for 60 minutes. They have an FBS win, but look what Wyo is this year - curb stomped by PSU, Eastern Michigan and Wazzou. UND's other win is a 3 point win over PFL Drake (a team that last place/MVFC bottom feeder USD just stomped 52-0 a week later)
NAU is 2-1 but their wins are a D2 and a winless SFA team.
UNC is 2-1 but their wins are D2 and Houston Baptist...who is essentially a D2. They were just beaten 30-3 by SUU (SUU's only win...and they were beaten 55-10 by SDSU)

The rest of the conference is under .500.
Montana, EWU and Poly are probably fighting for the next Big Sky voting spot. Montana beat NDSU,which is a very good win. They lost to Poly, which looked okay until UNI made Poly it's play thing. That loss hurts the perception. EWU also lost to UNI, which is turning out to not be as bad of a loss as I thought it would be.

I don't know what to make of the Big Sky right now. The bottom of the conference, as it sits by record now, is better than the top, but at this point in the season are all 4 of Montana, Montana State, Poly and EWU top 25 caliber? Right now I have to say no and I don't know if even dropping it to a pick 3 of 4 gets a yes answer

I'm completely blown away by the Big Sky right now

I'm blown away by the conference, too.

EWU's loss at UNI does not look too bad now. Their only other loss is to Oregon. I'd say they are top 15.
PSU with the big P5 win over Wazzu, who has since won their next two. Vikings win at ISU is losing its luster but I'd put them top 20.
UM's win over NDSU (wherever you put the Bison) should be enough to keep them in the top 25.
MSU's close loss at EWU also should keep them top 25.
No one else in the conference really should be given any consideration, except for Cal Poly, but after how they looked against UNI, even if you put UNI at #1, it would be tough to keep the Mustangs in the top 25.

Just my two cents, as most of my posts in this thread have been.

CasualFan
September 20th, 2015, 04:27 PM
My top east coast team is JMU because they have three convincing wins. Granted, they weren't top 40 wins, but JMU did what they were supposed to do.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I'm blown away by the conference, too.

EWU's loss at UNI does not look too bad now. Their only other loss is to Oregon. I'd say they are top 15.
PSU with the big P5 win over Wazzu, who has since won their next two. Vikings win at ISU is losing its luster but I'd put them top 20.
UM's win over NDSU (wherever you put the Bison) should be enough to keep them in the top 25.
MSU's close loss at EWU also should keep them top 25.
No one else in the conference really should be given any consideration, except for Cal Poly, but after how they looked against UNI, even if you put UNI at #1, it would be tough to keep the Mustangs in the top 25.

Just my two cents, as most of my posts in this thread have been.
On the flip side of everything we've just said - I have no idea where to find 14 teams I think beat/are better than EWU simply because I think EWU can outscore most teams.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 04:48 PM

From the SLC:

There's been some good FCS vs fcs match ups, JAX ST vs Chatty, Coastal vs Furman ,and Nova vs Fordham. The Marque MVFC & BSC OOC pĺaý has already caused more MVFC OOC FCS losses than suffered last year. Fewer Fbs wins, and each one of the FBS wins sans Wazzu, are residents of ESPN Bottom 10.

Ìt is early, and these will shake out as the season progresses. It's so good to be able to enjoy another season!