PDA

View Full Version : Championship Subdivision sounds so stupid!!!

jmuroller
December 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't understand why we call it the Championship Subdivision? The "sub" makes it sound so stupid. It makes me cringe everytime I hear it. Why not just the simple Championship Division? It would sound so cleaner and crisper.

Also...don't be fooled by all this. Doesn't change a thing. There is no such thing as the Bowl Subdivision. There simply is Division 1, and then there is Division 1 FCS. The only time you hear Bowl Subdivision is when yoiu are talking about it along with FCS.

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Well they are calling it the Bowl Subdivision too. So at least it's fair.

appman87
December 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
should have never changed.

jmuroller
December 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Well they are calling it the Bowl Subdivision too. So at least it's fair.

Who? They only called it that during the Appy game. The announcer on ESPN just said "UCLA ends USC's chances at a return to the National Championship Game." Nothing about Bowl Subdivision Nat'l Championship game ever mentioned. Only FCS fans acknowledge the BS division.

December 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
xidiotx

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Who? They only called it that during the Appy game. The announcer on ESPN just said "UCLA ends USC's chances at a return to the National Championship Game." Nothing about Bowl Subdivision Nat'l Championship game ever mentioned. Only FCS fans acknowledge the BS division.

It's True.We we'll never get respect from the national media.

th0m
December 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM

I like your signature, and especially the person who said it! :rotateh:

bainsey
December 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Actually, I-A and I-AA have always been subdivisions. There has been Division I, which encompassed the A and AA subdivisions.

If anything, the change of names proves one thing: The FCS has the word "championship" in it, and therefore, the FCS has a champion; the BCS does not.

th0m
December 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Actually, I-A and I-AA have always been subdivisions. There has been Division I, which encompassed the A and AA subdivisions.

If anything, the change of names proves one thing: The FCS has the word "championship" in it, and therefore, the FCS has a champion; the BCS does not.

While true, the name change only works if the media stop referring to the 'top' bowl as the National Championship game (and the winning team of said bowl as the National Champions), something I don't see happening.

Mudbird1
December 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
D-IAA sounds more respectable to me.

The FCS pretty much makes this level sound/seem even more ridiculous. I havent met one person who I've informed about the name change here at ISU who hasn't rolled their eyes and said something like, "You're kidding me", or "WHY?!?", or just laughed and muttered how stupid that sounds.

And why change at the end of the season? Why not make it some big announcement to kick-off a new season at least?

Why the change at all? It's so goofy.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
D-IAA sounds more respectable to me.

The FCS pretty much makes this level sound/seem even more ridiculous. I havent met one person who I've informed about the name change here at ISU who hasn't rolled their eyes and said something like, "You're kidding me", or "WHY?!?", or just laughed and muttered how stupid that sounds.

And why change at the end of the season? Why not make it some big announcement to kick-off a new season at least?

Why the change at all? It's so goofy.

It will be a good thing if anyone ever takes it seriou involving the BS but if they continue calling it 1a then it means nothing.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
It will be a good thing if anyone ever takes it seriou involving the BS but if they continue calling it 1a then it means nothing.

Not even the NCAA has changed it.

ncguitarplyr
December 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
its cause i-aa was spilling into other sports like basketball....i think someone even said something about georgetown's basketball team being i-aa on espn and was part of the reason that they changed it

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
I like your signature, and especially the person who said it! :rotateh:

Thanx

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM

Well let's look at it from their perspective. We are all Div. I right? Then I guess Ohio State vs. Florida/Michigan would be the National Championship because any of those three teams would pummel our Champion. So it really is the TRUE National Div. I Championship.

lizrdgizrd
December 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Well let's look at it from their perspective. We are all Div. I right? Then I guess Ohio State vs. Florida/Michigan would be the National Championship because any of those three teams would pummel our Champion. So it really is the TRUE National Div. I Championship.
The only problem is that we'll never know if the one of those 3 who gets left out should have been playing for it.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
I think it will take some getting used to.

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
i think our champion (APP STATE) could take any of those three

yosef1969
December 3rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
I have mixed feelings about the change.
It will not change the opinion of the national media and therefore most fans, to them FCS will = junior varsity

It will, with time, separate the subdivision from D-II.

It will help dimish the football classification being tied to other sports.

I do somewhat agree with the original post in this thread, I don't like the sound of subdivision. I think it's safe to say that the bowl subdivision will continue to be known as D-I and former D I-AA will be saddled with the subdivision moniker.

Keeper
December 3rd, 2006, 03:32 AM
It's still too early to get your panties bunched folks.
It's only been two weekends for the CS.
The BSers only have time to concentrate on their BS.
As we get closer to the finals, expect ESPN to provide
a little more exposure of the CS.
Do not expect them to refer to any BS news as anything
Division I or I-A except for some stats.
Next year all the media guides, publications, internet sites
and broadcast will be forced to use the new brands.
We should notice a lot more feedback then.
Until then, try to appreciate the Championship label as
it is today. If y'all claim to not care so much about the
BS level, why fret about their finger wagging.
It's no different than previous AP poll winners anointed
champions. If popular opinion votes for your team, you
have the right to yell We're Number One, mythical or not.

Be patient.
The future is that, without using the handy AA label,
internet and broadcast media will be hard pressed to
separate the subdivisions in their coverage. However,
there are too many labelling references to yet overcome
regarding scheduling, scholarships, transfers, etc.
It will take a long time.

GAD
December 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM
I think it will take some getting used to.
I agree the name change took place at the end of the season rather than at the beginning of one, give it a little time and it will roll off the tongue much easier.

CamelCityYosef
December 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
I think Football Championship Subdivsion sounds terrible. I don't mind the initials-- FCS -- though.

So I'm choosing to call it the Football Championship Series instead. I think it sounds better.

bobbythekidd
December 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
i think our champion (APP STATE) could take any of those three
Now come on.xidiotx

Moving on, I agree with the origional post. If both series drop the "sub" it would sound/ seem much more respectiable.

UMass922
December 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Nothing about Bowl Subdivision Nat'l Championship game ever mentioned.

That's because there's no such thing as a "Bowl Subdivision National Championship Game"--which is the whole point! The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in that subdivision. Those teams compete for the BCS Championship, which is what I've heard announcers correctly call it. If you ever do hear someone refer to the "Bowl Subdivision National Championship Game," you're hearing a mistake.

As for the word "subdivision," it's the correct and appropriate word to use. I-A/FBS and I-AA/FCS cannot be called "divisions" because that's not what they are. The NCAA divisions are I, II, and III. I-A/FBS and I-AA/FCS are subdivisions of Division I. The whole point of the name change is to make clear that these are not separate divisions--that they are simply subdivisions of Division I. We've all heard I-AA programs carelessly referred to as "D-II." The change helps emphasize the fact that we play D-I football.

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM

Bingo.

They could call it "the only legitimate DI football post season" and no one would give a crap.