PDA

View Full Version : Again it won't happen

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Well, as Appalachian State runs out the clock against Montana State, it's clear we will have yet another year in which two teams from one conference will not meet in the championship game. The final four will be Appalacian State, Montana, UMass, and either YSU or Illinois State.

Amazing that the playoffs of what we now call "Championship" subdivision have gone on with the 16-team format now for 21 years and there has yet to be an instance of two teams from one conference playing in the title game.

sdgriz24
December 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
It's not really that amazing,normally people from the same conference are in the same side of the bracket.Because of regional seeding.

umassfan
December 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Question... if YSU wins... when was the last time all 4 seeds were in the SEMIs

th0m
December 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
I was gonna say:

Furman 17
Georgia Southern 12

But then I realized GSU wasn't in the Socon until 1992. Still the closest to a conference championship ;)

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
It's not really that amazing,normally people from the same conference are in the same side of the bracket.Because of regional seeding.

I don't know. I think situations in which there are teams from the same conference are in opposite brackets are pretty common. This year both the Gateway and Big Sky had teams in opposite brackets. Last year, if I'm looking at it right, the Southland, A-10, and Gateway did. I think there have been plenty of "opportunities" for having a single conference championship game.

It'd be interesting to go back and see how many years there have been such that two teams from one conference could've made it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been every year since the field went to 16 teams and certainly would expect that it's been the overwhelming majority of the years.

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
I was gonna say:

Furman 17
Georgia Southern 12

But then I realized GSU wasn't in the Socon until 1992. Still the closest to a conference championship ;)

Yes. Furman and Georgia Southern also met in a championship game in 1985 in what I think was one of the best games I've ever seen (GSU won 44 - 42 with a TD in the final moments). But, as you say, GSU was an Independent then.

grizband
December 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
It came close in 2000, when Montana beat Appalachian State on a TD pass in OT to make the championship game. Had Appalachian State won, it would have been an all Southern Conference title game, with the Mountaineers meeting Georgia Southern in Chattanooga.

lizrdgizrd
December 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
It came close in 2000, when Montana beat Appalachian State on a TD pass in OT to make the championship game. Had Appalachian State won, it would have been an all Southern Conference title game, with the Mountaineers meeting Georgia Southern in Chattanooga.
Stupid Montana. :bawling: xlolx

grizband
December 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Stupid Montana. :bawling: xlolx
One of my favorite memories from Wash-Griz stadium. That place erupted when Farris caught the ball in the back of the endzone.

KNUTS
December 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
:nod: i got pepperd sprayed that day with the goal post!:hurray:

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
I was gonna say:

Furman 17
Georgia Southern 12

Georgia Southern's first year of competition in the SoCon was 1993 and the Eagles won the league title.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
One of my favorite memories from Wash-Griz stadium. That place erupted when Farris caught the ball in the back of the endzone.
It was kind of a dull, defensive-oriented game until the fourth period. Then in the final minute, on a fourth down and long, Joe Burchette hit Troy Albea with a tunnel screen pass that the speedy Albea broke back across the field. Albea got to the sidelines, with some devastasting blocks, on the press box side of the field and was barely forced out at the Montana 10. ASU then had a pass from Burchette to Rashad Slade in the back of the end zone tipped by the Montana safety at the last possible moment to save the game again for the Griz. Mark Wright kicked a game-tying field goal after a bonehead call for another tunnel screen (at your own 10?) and then Wright kicked another field goal in OT before Drew Miller hit Jimmy Farris, being covered by All-American defensive back and future NFL player Corey Hall, on the fade route to end the game. The reaction in that end zone was one of the most memorable I've ever witnessed. I didn't think the students were ever going to stop celebrating.

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
stop worrying about the past lets just montana and asu in chatty this year!

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
stop worrying about the past lets just montana and asu in chatty this year!
No one was worrying about the past. We were just remembering a game that had a great finish. It was a fun place to be that day and remains one of my favorite I-AA experiences ever.

boonegoon
December 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I just moved back to Boone from Montana that year and was so broken hearted after that overtime.

eaglesrthe1
December 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM

That's only been the case since 01'.

Leave it too the NCAA to use terrorism as an excuse to regionalize the playoffs.:cool: