PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa #10 @ Cal Poly #9

Pages : [1] 2

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Looking forward to this game in SLO. This will be an interesting match-up of strength vs strength. Cal Poly's run game vs UNI's run defense.

Cal Poly's rushing stats after 2 games (1 FBS & 1 FCS)

YPG 307 which is 6th of 115 FCS teams - 5.22 YPC (Cal Poly was 1st in 2014-15 with 352 YPG / 5.52 YPC allowed)

Against rushing defenses of

MT - 100th of 115 FCS teams, giving up 298 YPG - 4.62 YPC (3.14 YPC vs NDSU & 3.93 YPC vs Cal Poly)
Arizona State - 115th of 127 FBS teams, giving up 231 YPG - 3.95 YPC (2.24 YPC vs Texas A&M & 5.51 YPC vs Cal Poly)

UNI's rushing defense after 2 games (1 FBS & 1 FCS)

YPG 51.5 which is 5th of 115 FCS teams - 1.81 YPC (UNI was 10th in 2014-15 with 108 YPG / 3 YPC allowed)

Against rushing offenses of

Eastern Washington - 103th of 115 FCS teams, running 70 YPG - 4.62 YPC (3.58 YPC vs Oregon & 1.04 YPC vs UNI)
Iowa State - 124th of 127 FBS teams, running 70 YPG - 2.37 YPC (2.33 YPC vs Iowa & 2.41 YPC vs UNI)

(all stats from http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11)

The FG kicking should be a push with two very good kickers. UNI's punting during the Iowa State game was abysmal. Vastly improved kicking and coverage in the EWU game.

I think that the UNI offense (ranked 40th of 115 FCS) is much better than the Cal Poly defense (ranked 93rd of 115 FCS). Even after UNI's a total offensive meltdown against Iowa State. It really depends if HC Farley allows our passing QB to play more than three or four series.

I think that Cal Poly will end up on the short end of the stick on this matchup.

UNI 28 - Cal Poly 20

Thoughts?

IBleedYellow
September 15th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I think this will all come down to which Quarterback gets started and eventually played for UNI.

Does Farley wise up and have Sawyer in from the get go, or have him save ass in the 3rd and 4th quarter again?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Tough to win on the road but if any team can do it, it is UNI.

UNI in a close game: 31-28

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM
As I have stated on Panthernation.com, regarding the QB change against EWU

Here's what I hope happened

Pregame locker room

Farley - Ok team we are going to run it down their throat this game. And it will probably take about 3 quarters to where down the defense. At that time, we are going to spring our new secret play. Joe, what do you call it?

Joe Davis - A forward pass.

Farley - What will they think of next?

What probably happened

Farley standing on sideline at the start of 4Q, looking at scoreboard

Farley - Joe - whens the last time we got a G** D*** first down?

Joe Davis - halfway through 3Q, before the FG attempt.

Farley - *&**^@%!! Send SK in next. Go ahead at try that thing you keep buggin me about. I believe it when I see it

History tends to repeat itself, unfortuantely

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I think it should be a good game. UNI seemed to handle the TO pretty well when Wofford came to town a few years ago. I think we will be prepared for it and I think we have the LBs to keep us in the game.

I feel like games where one team has a scheme like this have the makings of being lopsided one way or the other depending on how the defense does.

Grizalltheway
September 15th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I'll take CP in a close, relatively low scoring one. Both are very good teams, but CP is a disciplined, confident unit and they look to be on a mission to finally live up to their potential this year. I'll go with 27-24.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I'll take CP in a close, relatively low scoring one. Both are very good teams, but CP is a disciplined, confident unit and they look to be on a mission to finally live up to their potential this year. I'll go with 27-24.

I often feel it's Cal Poly's year, then they get a signature win, then they fall apart.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I often feel it's Cal Poly's year, then they get a signature win, then they fall apart.

I often think it's UNI's year and then .....;)

I'll take CP at home.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I often think it's UNI's year and then .....;)

I'll take CP at home.

I completely agree. I honestly figured this year was going to be a waste with our 4 way quarterback steel cage match for the intercontinental championship and the brutality of our schedule. Playoffs would blow my mind. :)

IBleedYellow
September 15th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I completely agree. I honestly figured this year was going to be a waste with our 4 way quarterback steel cage match for the intercontinental championship and the brutality of our schedule. Playoffs would blow my mind. :)

So this is the year they surprise you, get into the playoffs, then falter after the first game.

Truly UNI ways, of course.

xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
So this is the year they surprise you, get into the playoffs, then falter after the first game.

Truly UNI ways, of course.

xthumbsupx

Pioneer champ takes us down in the Dome. xlolx

bonarae
September 15th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I'd rather take CP in a defensive-focused but average-scoring game. Somewhere between the lines of 24-10 or so.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I'd rather take CP in a defensive-focused but average-scoring game. Somewhere between the lines of 24-10 or so.

Wow, CP by 14? (this is not a bet. ;) )

kalm
September 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Before we get too caught up in the stats, a couple of things about UNI's win against Eastern...

Eastern was penalized 15 times for 159 yards. Many of these were on offense, placing EWU in second and third and long situations where they had to throw. We could never get any sort of rhythm going with the run game as a result. Several of the penalties were also on top of already poor kick coverage by the Eagles that gave UNI excellent starting field position.

And the ultimate difference in the score was a 4th quarter pick six. Had eastern won by 4, we'd be talking about how UNI gave up 552 yards of offense.

I wouldn't count on Cal Poly shooting themselves in the foot like EWU did. Walsh typically produces very disciplined teams.

I was very impressed with UNI's front 7 and they should be able to get some stops against the TO. It's defending the occasional pass play that might be the challenge.

I agree that this should be a low scoring, close game.

cpalum
September 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM
This is a very big game for Cal Poly against a very good opponent. If they can pull of a win in SLO against UNI I think they get a bit of validation. The ASU game was odd in that those guys played their butts off and they did so many tings right but ultimately is was an L. They could have won but the defense got gassed late in the 4th quarter and Walsh made a few play calls that I think most felt were too conservative. This is WOW (week of welcome) week in SLO and I'm guessing because of some high profile games and the Montana win this will be a sell out at Spanos.

Cal Poly will play ball control as they always do and you can count on the FB position to account for at least 100 yards but I suspect you will see more pitch to the outside and you even may see them open up the passing game a bit (relative to a Triple Option Offense...I'm guessing 15 ish passes total). The UNI defense may be one of the strongest they will face so I hope Walsh and Company mix it up a bit.

Big game....full house......Go Poly!

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Do you really want your QB passing more? The downfield passes he attempted against ASU were, at best, wounded ducks. (I will amend that - not having seen all of first half. Apparently there was a TD throw on busted coverage vs ASU that looked good.)

Missingnumber7
September 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
If CP doesn't get a passing game going this could get ugly. Although I think UNI wins a 1 score game here, but it isn't going to be pretty for either side.

cpalum
September 16th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Do you really want your QB passing more? The downfield passes he attempted against ASU were, at best, wounded ducks.

Well if the UNI D line is as big, athletic and fast as ASU's then no I don't want to see them pass too much more. Brown is a very capable passer when given enough time and if UNI focuses on the FB dive as I expect they will, then I think the passing game could open up a bit.

This was Chris Brown's first significant playing time from few years ago. The WR is Willie Tucker who is also a senior this year. It will give you an idea what Cal Poly does on offense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytGo_ta4aM

BucBisonAtLarge
September 16th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Kudos for the Big Sky/MVFC scheduling this year, particularly the leadership at UNI. The EWU/UNI game was great to watch, and I am looking forward to UNI/CP game this week.

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I would be shocked if HC Farley does not attempt to make Cal Poly beat UNI with the pass. The Mustangs have had 146 rushing attempts vs 21 passing attempts (and 8 completions) to date.

It appears that Brown is an okay passer when the situation allows him to throw a rope - highlighted in first TD pass above, and the swing out screen passes that were made against ASU. Once the situation requires any sort of touch in placing the ball over/around defenders, not so much. Frankly, I would say the same with one of the UNI QBs, Aaron Bailey. Maybe what I saw Saturday was atypical.

Seawolf97
September 16th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Seems improved but very early with only 1 full game and a partial game. See how we do this Saturday in our CAA opener against UNH .

cpalum
September 16th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I would be shocked if HC Farley does not attempt to make Cal Poly beat UNI with the pass. The Mustangs have had 146 rushing attempts vs 21 passing attempts (and 8 completions) to date.

It appears that Brown is an okay passer when the situation allows him to throw a rope - highlighted in first TD pass above, and the swing out screen passes that were made against ASU. Once the situation requires any sort of touch in placing the ball over/around defenders, not so much. Frankly, I would say the same with one of the UNI QBs, Aaron Bailey. Maybe what I saw Saturday was atypical.

Not true.....first remember that video was literally the first game he played but check the video at 3:30 and 5:45. I wouldn't argue that you'd be better off making him pass than run but he can pass and will pass if that is what the defense gives him.

tomq04
September 16th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I'm rooting for Cal Poly, I've been waiting for them to play dominate football the last 3 years. Fun team to watch!

clenz
September 16th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Before we get too caught up in the stats, a couple of things about UNI's win against Eastern...

Eastern was penalized 15 times for 159 yards. Many of these were on offense, placing EWU in second and third and long situations where they had to throw. We could never get any sort of rhythm going with the run game as a result. Several of the penalties were also on top of already poor kick coverage by the Eagles that gave UNI excellent starting field position.

And the ultimate difference in the score was a 4th quarter pick six. Had eastern won by 4, we'd be talking about how UNI gave up 552 yards of offense.

I wouldn't count on Cal Poly shooting themselves in the foot like EWU did. Walsh typically produces very disciplined teams.

I was very impressed with UNI's front 7 and they should be able to get some stops against the TO. It's defending the occasional pass play that might be the challenge.

I agree that this should be a low scoring, close game.
You need to look closer at the first quarter and a half play drives.

It was try to run on 1st and second down and get about 3 or 4 yards, get faced with 3rd and long and have to pass. UNI had more penalties called on them in the first half than EWU did, FWIW. By halftime EWU had COMPLETELY given up on trying to run.

That's a good post game narrative to live by, for the run game, but it simply isn't true.

clenz
September 16th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Eastern Washington at 13:34

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU19
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 13:34.

1st and 10 at EWU19
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU28 (Dorleant, M.).

2nd and 1 at EWU28
Jabari Wilson rush for loss of 1 yard to the EWU27 (Farley, Jared).

3rd and 2 at EWU27
Jabari Wilson rush for 1 yard to the EWU28 (Ales, Isaac).

4th and 1 at EWU28
Jordan Dascalo punt 42 yards to the UNI30, fair catch by Hall, Deiondre', PENALTY EWU illegal formation 5 yards to the UNI35, 1st and 10, UNI ball on UNI35.

TOTAL
3 plays , 9 yards Time of Possession: 1:32

Eastern Washington at 10:19

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU19
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 10:19.

1st and 10 at EWU19
Jabari Wilson rush for 3 yards to the EWU22 (Farley, Jared).

2nd and 7 at EWU22
Jabari Wilson rush for 6 yards to the EWU28 (Young, Edwin).

3rd and 1 at EWU28
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU37, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dexter, D'Shawn).

1st and 10 at EWU37
PENALTY EWU false start 5 yards to the EWU32.

1st and 15 at EWU32
Jordan West sacked for loss of 4 yards to the EWU28 (Reth, Adam).

2nd and 19 at EWU28
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 11 yards to the EWU39 (Young, Edwin).

3rd and 8 at EWU39
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU48, 1ST DOWN EWU (Jennings, D.).

1st and 10 at EWU48
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for loss of 1 yard to the EWU47 (McMakin, Brett).

2nd and 11 at EWU47
Jordan West pass incomplete to Cooper Kupp.

3rd and 11 at EWU47
Jordan West pass complete to Simba Webster for 13 yards to the UNI40 (Neal, Rickey), PENALTY EWU personal foul 15 yards to the EWU45.

3rd and 13 at EWU45
1st and 10.

1st and 10 at EWU45
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 12 yards to the UNI43, 1ST DOWN EWU (Kilfoy, Tim).

1st and 10 at UNI43
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 25 yards to the UNI18, 1ST DOWN EWU (Young, Edwin).

1st and 10 at UNI18
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 18 yards to the UNI0, 1ST DOWN EWU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 05:30.

1st and GOAL at UNI03
Tyler McNannay kick attempt good.

1st and GOAL at EWU35
B. Bangsund kickoff 51 yards to the UNI14, Huggins, Savon return 22 yards to the UNI36 (Zach Wimberly).

TOTAL
12 plays , 81 yards Time of Possession: 4:49

Eastern Washington at 03:42

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU17
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 03:42.

1st and 10 at EWU17
Jordan West rush for 3 yards to the EWU20 (McNeil, Ronelle).

2nd and 7 at EWU20
Jabari Wilson rush for no gain to the EWU20 (Ales, Isaac), PENALTY UNI holding 10 yards to the EWU30, 1ST DOWN EWU.

1st and 10 at EWU30
1st and 10.

1st and 10 at EWU30
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 3 yards to the EWU33 (McMakin, Brett).

2nd and 7 at EWU33
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 5 yards to the EWU38.

3rd and 2 at EWU38
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 3 yards to the EWU41, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dorleant, M.).

1st and 10 at EWU41
Jabari Wilson rush for 6 yards to the EWU47 (Kilfoy, Tim;Farley, Jared).

2nd and 4 at EWU47
Jordan West rush for 3 yards to the 50 yardline (Reth, Adam).

3rd and 1 at EWU50
Jabari Wilson rush for 2 yards to the UNI48, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dexter, D'Shawn).

Start of Quarter #2

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at UNI48
Start of 2nd quarter, clock 15:00.

1st and 10 at UNI48
Jordan West pass incomplete to Simba Webster, PENALTY EWU holding 10 yards to the EWU42, NO PLAY.

1st and 20 at EWU42
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 10 yards to the UNI48.

2nd and 10 at UNI48
Jordan West pass complete to Stu Stiles for 3 yards to the UNI45, out-of-bounds, PENALTY EWU personal foul 15 yards to the EWU37, NO PLAY.

2nd and 25 at EWU37
Jordan West pass incomplete to Kendrick Bourne (Whiting,Jamison).

3rd and 25 at EWU37
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 5 yards to the EWU42 (Farley, Jared).

4th and 20 at EWU42
Jordan Dascalo punt 38 yards to the UNI20, Weymiller, M return 0 yards to the UNI20 (Todd Raynes).

TOTAL
11 plays , 25 yards Time of Possession: 5:26

Eastern Washington at 10:01

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU27
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 10:01.

1st and 10 at EWU27
Sam McPherson rush for no gain to the EWU27 (Farley, Jared).

2nd and 10 at EWU27
Jordan West pass incomplete to Kendrick Bourne.

3rd and 10 at EWU27
Timeout UNI, clock 09:21.

3rd and 10 at EWU27
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 73 yards to the UNI0, 1ST DOWN EWU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 09:12.

1st and GOAL at UNI03

1st and GOAL at EWU35
Tyler McNannay kickoff 59 yards to the UNI6, Huggins, Savon return 19 yards to the UNI25 (Marcus Saugen).

TOTAL
4 plays , 73 yards Time of Possession: 0:49

Eastern Washington at 08:15

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU17
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 08:15.

1st and 10 at EWU17
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 7 yards to the EWU24 (Reth, Adam;Webb, Jordan).

2nd and 3 at EWU24
Jabari Wilson rush for 2 yards to the EWU26 (Kilfoy, Tim).

3rd and 1 at EWU26
Jabari Wilson rush for loss of 3 yards to the EWU23 (Ales, Isaac).

4th and 4 at EWU23
Jordan Dascalo punt 25 yards to the EWU48, Cunningham, L. return 1 yards to the EWU47 (Samson Ebukam).

TOTAL
4 plays , 6 yards Time of Possession: 2:12

Eastern Washington at 04:32

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU10
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 04:32.

1st and 10 at EWU10
Jordan West pass complete to Sam McPherson for no gain to the EWU10 (Hall, Deiondre').

2nd and 10 at EWU10
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 41 yards to the UNI49, 1ST DOWN EWU (Kilfoy, Tim).

1st and 10 at UNI49
Jordan West pass complete to Terry Jackson for 1 yard to the UNI48 (Hall, Deiondre').

2nd and 9 at UNI48
Simba Webster rush for loss of 4 yards to the EWU48.

3rd and 13 at EWU48
Jordan West rush for 6 yards to the UNI46 (Jennings, D.).

4th and 7 at UNI46
Timeout Eastern Washington, clock 01:34.

4th and 7 at UNI46
Jordan Dascalo punt 35 yards to the UNI11, fair catch by Dorleant, M., PENALTY EWU kick catching interference 15 yards to the UNI26, 1st and 10, EWU ball on UNI26.

TOTAL
5 plays , 44 yards Time of Possession: 3:06

To shorten that...

1st drive
2 rushes for 0 yards

2nd drive 2 rushes for 9 yards
1 penalty for 5 yards
10 pass plays

3rd drive
5 rushes for 13 yards
holding penalty on UNI to give EWU a first down
EWU finished that drive with 2 offensive penalties on pass plays (1 on first and 10 and the next on 2nd and 10)

4th drive
1 rush 0 yards
3 pass attempts to end the drive

5th drive
2 rush -4 yards after a 7 yard pass play on first to set up 2nd and 3…forced to punt

6th drive
2 for 2 yards…first rush wasn’t until 2nd and 9 after 3 pass plays

That's 14 carries for 20 yards. Then penalties didn't affect the number of carries as they happened on pass plays in passing situations. FWIW, EWU ran 37 plays in the first half. Meaning it was 23 pass attempts to 14 runs

That also means EWU ran 11 run plays for 6 yards in the second half. UNI stopped committing more than 4 to stop the run midway through the second quarter.

clenz
September 16th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Also, no matter what QB plays just got a bit of help

Fifth-year senior CB/PR Chris Fletcher broke his leg vs. ASU and is done for the year.

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2015, 02:30 PM
That's crappy for Fletcher, for many reasons. Hopefully heals up completely.

cpalum
September 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM
That's crappy for Fletcher, for many reasons. Hopefully heals up completely.

It is crappy...a leader on defense for sure and he has been pretty durable. I was at the ASU game and that happed in the endzone right in front of us. I knew it was bad. He was having a breakout game as well. The good news for Poly is that unlike years past they are pretty deep in the secondary. Fernando Cabico came in for Fletcher at ASU and promptly intercepted a TD pass ending the ASU drive on the Cal Poly 1. He will be starting Saturday.

unigriff
September 17th, 2015, 11:03 AM
well it is the 10 year anniversary of the championship game season and it's an odd year, which typically bodes well ('05, '07 and '09s were all great years). We had a pretty brutal end to our schedule in '05 with ISUr, YSU and SIU. Kinda of just flip flopped this year with NDSU, ISUr, EWU, Cal Poly in consecutive games. Then again, that was before a 19 person QB battle and a run first/balanced offense. I'd have to say our defenses are 10x better in the last five years than they have been overall in a long time. If the cats can get through game 5 at least 3-2, i'll be very happy :)

T.O. won't stand a chance if the wofford game plan is any indication with a similar defense. UNI should hopefully run away with it in the 2nd half I hope.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM
The Wofford game was a one score game where the difference was a Terrier not downing a kickoff. Not sure the game plan is an indicator of success. We know we can at least competitive with the TO.

Really the first 7 games suck. 5-2 would be really nice, 4-3 might require us winning out to make the playoffs.

Professor Chaos
September 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM
This will be a very late kickoff (9:30PM CT) by UNI standards. Last year they came out in a late kickoff against Hawaii and seemed pretty flat based on my recollection and the box score. Hopefully they'll be able to adjust a little better this year.

Grizalltheway
September 17th, 2015, 11:20 AM
well it is the 10 year anniversary of the championship game season and it's an odd year, which typically bodes well ('05, '07 and '09s were all great years). We had a pretty brutal end to our schedule in '05 with ISUr, YSU and SIU. Kinda of just flip flopped this year with NDSU, ISUr, EWU, Cal Poly in consecutive games. Then again, that was before a 19 person QB battle and a run first/balanced offense. I'd have to say our defenses are 10x better in the last five years than they have been overall in a long time. If the cats can get through game 5 at least 3-2, i'll be very happy :)

T.O. won't stand a chance if the wofford game plan is any indication with a similar defense. UNI should hopefully run away with it in the 2nd half I hope.

Cal Poly is bigger and more athletic across the board than that Wofford team, I'm guessing...

clenz
September 17th, 2015, 11:41 AM
This will be a very late kickoff (9:30PM CT) by UNI standards. Last year they came out in a late kickoff against Hawaii and seemed pretty flat based on my recollection and the box score. Hopefully they'll be able to adjust a little better this year.
That was also 2 hours later. That was damn near midnight at kick

centennial
September 17th, 2015, 11:54 AM

The rainbow warriors buy themselves a win by playing late.

clenz
September 17th, 2015, 11:55 AM
The rainbow warriors buy themselves a win by playing late.
Yup. If that game was played a couple hours earlier I think UNI wins. It took a full quarter or quarter and a half to "wake up"

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2015, 12:13 PM
this is a classic heads or tales game

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2015, 12:46 PM
.....HOPE UNI....CAN FOLLOW DUH TRIPLE-0.......AS GREAT PANTHER DB'S.......WON'T HALFTA COVER ANY PONIES......'CEPT WHEN DEY LEAST EXPECT IT..........BROCK!!

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Going to be tough.

Yes that is my analysis for the game.

srgrizizen
September 17th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I think this will be a low scoring game. CP has a very tough defense, and a patient offense that can spring a big play. I do not think the FB is nearly as big a running threat as the QB. But so far at least, the CP passing game is non-existent. If UNI can slow down the run enough to force CP to pass, their more versatile offense should eke out a narrow win. That's a significant IF, however. Great entertaining FCS matchup in any case.

cpalum
September 17th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Joe Protheroe had 130 yards and Jared Mohamed had 75 (over 200 yards from the FBs) on ASU and they combined for about 150 yards at Montana (Protheroe 129 and Mohamed 34). They've actually been more successful running the FB dive than they were last year with Brandon Howe. Right now Joe Prothroe is in fact the biggest running threat on the team

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2015, 07:38 PM

I watched that game last year, and being in Ohio, it was an hour later. It was almost 1am, and I was up till 4:30 a.m. watching it since it was a close game. I woke up at like 8:30 a.m. too xdrunkyx

Really excited for this game though! I feel like this game will tell us quite a bit for both of these teams, and playoffs!

jsnow84
September 17th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I believe UNI will win this one by 10-14 points. Should be a good game.

Bisonwinagn
September 17th, 2015, 09:55 PM
This looks like UNI winning 6-3 on a late field goal.

kalm
September 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Eastern Washington at 13:34

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU19
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 13:34.

1st and 10 at EWU19
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU28 (Dorleant, M.).

2nd and 1 at EWU28
Jabari Wilson rush for loss of 1 yard to the EWU27 (Farley, Jared).

3rd and 2 at EWU27
Jabari Wilson rush for 1 yard to the EWU28 (Ales, Isaac).

4th and 1 at EWU28
Jordan Dascalo punt 42 yards to the UNI30, fair catch by Hall, Deiondre', PENALTY EWU illegal formation 5 yards to the UNI35, 1st and 10, UNI ball on UNI35.

TOTAL
3 plays , 9 yards Time of Possession: 1:32

Eastern Washington at 10:19

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU19
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 10:19.

1st and 10 at EWU19
Jabari Wilson rush for 3 yards to the EWU22 (Farley, Jared).

2nd and 7 at EWU22
Jabari Wilson rush for 6 yards to the EWU28 (Young, Edwin).

3rd and 1 at EWU28
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU37, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dexter, D'Shawn).

1st and 10 at EWU37
PENALTY EWU false start 5 yards to the EWU32.

1st and 15 at EWU32
Jordan West sacked for loss of 4 yards to the EWU28 (Reth, Adam).

2nd and 19 at EWU28
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 11 yards to the EWU39 (Young, Edwin).

3rd and 8 at EWU39
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 9 yards to the EWU48, 1ST DOWN EWU (Jennings, D.).

1st and 10 at EWU48
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for loss of 1 yard to the EWU47 (McMakin, Brett).

2nd and 11 at EWU47
Jordan West pass incomplete to Cooper Kupp.

3rd and 11 at EWU47
Jordan West pass complete to Simba Webster for 13 yards to the UNI40 (Neal, Rickey), PENALTY EWU personal foul 15 yards to the EWU45.

3rd and 13 at EWU45
1st and 10.

1st and 10 at EWU45
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 12 yards to the UNI43, 1ST DOWN EWU (Kilfoy, Tim).

1st and 10 at UNI43
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 25 yards to the UNI18, 1ST DOWN EWU (Young, Edwin).

1st and 10 at UNI18
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 18 yards to the UNI0, 1ST DOWN EWU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 05:30.

1st and GOAL at UNI03

1st and GOAL at EWU35
B. Bangsund kickoff 51 yards to the UNI14, Huggins, Savon return 22 yards to the UNI36 (Zach Wimberly).

TOTAL
12 plays , 81 yards Time of Possession: 4:49

Eastern Washington at 03:42

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU17
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 03:42.

1st and 10 at EWU17
Jordan West rush for 3 yards to the EWU20 (McNeil, Ronelle).

2nd and 7 at EWU20
Jabari Wilson rush for no gain to the EWU20 (Ales, Isaac), PENALTY UNI holding 10 yards to the EWU30, 1ST DOWN EWU.

1st and 10 at EWU30
1st and 10.

1st and 10 at EWU30
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 3 yards to the EWU33 (McMakin, Brett).

2nd and 7 at EWU33
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 5 yards to the EWU38.

3rd and 2 at EWU38
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 3 yards to the EWU41, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dorleant, M.).

1st and 10 at EWU41
Jabari Wilson rush for 6 yards to the EWU47 (Kilfoy, Tim;Farley, Jared).

2nd and 4 at EWU47
Jordan West rush for 3 yards to the 50 yardline (Reth, Adam).

3rd and 1 at EWU50
Jabari Wilson rush for 2 yards to the UNI48, 1ST DOWN EWU (Dexter, D'Shawn).

Start of Quarter #2

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at UNI48
Start of 2nd quarter, clock 15:00.

1st and 10 at UNI48
Jordan West pass incomplete to Simba Webster, PENALTY EWU holding 10 yards to the EWU42, NO PLAY.

1st and 20 at EWU42
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 10 yards to the UNI48.

2nd and 10 at UNI48
Jordan West pass complete to Stu Stiles for 3 yards to the UNI45, out-of-bounds, PENALTY EWU personal foul 15 yards to the EWU37, NO PLAY.

2nd and 25 at EWU37
Jordan West pass incomplete to Kendrick Bourne (Whiting,Jamison).

3rd and 25 at EWU37
Jordan West pass complete to Kendrick Bourne for 5 yards to the EWU42 (Farley, Jared).

4th and 20 at EWU42
Jordan Dascalo punt 38 yards to the UNI20, Weymiller, M return 0 yards to the UNI20 (Todd Raynes).

TOTAL
11 plays , 25 yards Time of Possession: 5:26

Eastern Washington at 10:01

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU27
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 10:01.

1st and 10 at EWU27
Sam McPherson rush for no gain to the EWU27 (Farley, Jared).

2nd and 10 at EWU27
Jordan West pass incomplete to Kendrick Bourne.

3rd and 10 at EWU27
Timeout UNI, clock 09:21.

3rd and 10 at EWU27
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 73 yards to the UNI0, 1ST DOWN EWU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 09:12.

1st and GOAL at UNI03

1st and GOAL at EWU35
Tyler McNannay kickoff 59 yards to the UNI6, Huggins, Savon return 19 yards to the UNI25 (Marcus Saugen).

TOTAL
4 plays , 73 yards Time of Possession: 0:49

Eastern Washington at 08:15

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU17
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 08:15.

1st and 10 at EWU17
Jordan West pass complete to Nic Sblendorio for 7 yards to the EWU24 (Reth, Adam;Webb, Jordan).

2nd and 3 at EWU24
Jabari Wilson rush for 2 yards to the EWU26 (Kilfoy, Tim).

3rd and 1 at EWU26
Jabari Wilson rush for loss of 3 yards to the EWU23 (Ales, Isaac).

4th and 4 at EWU23
Jordan Dascalo punt 25 yards to the EWU48, Cunningham, L. return 1 yards to the EWU47 (Samson Ebukam).

TOTAL
4 plays , 6 yards Time of Possession: 2:12

Eastern Washington at 04:32

Down & Distance
Play

1st and 10 at EWU10
EASTERN WASHINGTON drive start at 04:32.

1st and 10 at EWU10
Jordan West pass complete to Sam McPherson for no gain to the EWU10 (Hall, Deiondre').

2nd and 10 at EWU10
Jordan West pass complete to Cooper Kupp for 41 yards to the UNI49, 1ST DOWN EWU (Kilfoy, Tim).

1st and 10 at UNI49
Jordan West pass complete to Terry Jackson for 1 yard to the UNI48 (Hall, Deiondre').

2nd and 9 at UNI48
Simba Webster rush for loss of 4 yards to the EWU48.

3rd and 13 at EWU48
Jordan West rush for 6 yards to the UNI46 (Jennings, D.).

4th and 7 at UNI46
Timeout Eastern Washington, clock 01:34.

4th and 7 at UNI46
Jordan Dascalo punt 35 yards to the UNI11, fair catch by Dorleant, M., PENALTY EWU kick catching interference 15 yards to the UNI26, 1st and 10, EWU ball on UNI26.

TOTAL
5 plays , 44 yards Time of Possession: 3:06

To shorten that...

1st drive
2 rushes for 0 yards

2nd drive 2 rushes for 9 yards
1 penalty for 5 yards
10 pass plays

3rd drive
5 rushes for 13 yards
holding penalty on UNI to give EWU a first down
EWU finished that drive with 2 offensive penalties on pass plays (1 on first and 10 and the next on 2nd and 10)

4th drive
1 rush 0 yards
3 pass attempts to end the drive

5th drive
2 rush -4 yards after a 7 yard pass play on first to set up 2nd and 3…forced to punt

6th drive
2 for 2 yards…first rush wasn’t until 2nd and 9 after 3 pass plays

That's 14 carries for 20 yards. Then penalties didn't affect the number of carries as they happened on pass plays in passing situations. FWIW, EWU ran 37 plays in the first half. Meaning it was 23 pass attempts to 14 runs

That also means EWU ran 11 run plays for 6 yards in the second half. UNI stopped committing more than 4 to stop the run midway through the second quarter.

Thanks for putting up the stats. You're right, it wasn't as bad as I thought. But there were 4 penalties in the first half that put us into passing situations, two of which were certainly not on passing plays. You're not going to run the ball as much when you're facing 2nd and 11, etc. That's not to say that UNI didn't do a great job against the run, but we certainly didn't help ourselves out much. Plus, why not abandon the run if you're on your way to 526 passing?

clenz
September 18th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks for putting up the stats. You're right, it wasn't as bad as I thought. But there were 4 penalties in the first half that put us into passing situations, two of which were certainly not on passing plays. You're not going to run the ball as much when you're facing 2nd and 11, etc. That's not to say that UNI didn't do a great job against the run, but we certainly didn't help ourselves out much. Plus, why not abandon the run if you're on your way to 526 passing?
There are only 2 peantlies which put EWU behind the sticks - a holding call on a first down pass, and a personal foul also on a pass play later in the drive.

You also missed an earlier post of mine where I pointed out that the pass number looks very impressive (and it is), but that 44% of EWU's passing yards came on just 5 completions. That means the other 32ish completions resulted in the same yardage (If I remember right the difference was only 30ish yards.).

UNI didn't need to commit more than 4 to stopping the run so the linebackers were able to go into a zone drop instantly, never worry about biting on the play fake, and keep the routes in front of them. The majority of EWU's completions were under 11 yards. Imagine what those 5-10 yard passes could have been if UNI's linebackers and safteys weren't there to make the stop as soon as the catch was made. They could/would have turned into 15-20 yard plays without even having to break a single tackle.

To turn that into this weeks game - if UNI doesn't need to commit more than 3 or 4 to stopping the pass - then I have no reason to believe UNI can't have a lot of success on defense. UNI's corners (Deiondre Hall and Makinton Dorleant) are big and fast enough to put on an island to allow the rest of the back 7 to focus on gap/read responsibilities.

Last season Hall (6'2 190#) had 73 tackels (49 solo) 5 int (1 for a TD), 6 PBU, 1 blocked kick. This season already he has 15 tackels (11 solo), a pick 6, and 2 forced fumbles

Dorleant (5'11 190#) had 37 tackles (30 solo), 7 PBU, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery. This season Dorleant has focused more on being a cover corner and has done pretty dang well at just shutting one side of the field down.

Because of Hall and Dorleant I'd bet 75-80+% of the passes completed against UNI are underneath and in the middle.

I'm not saying Poly can't/won't have success beating UNI with the full back dive, but against a front 7 like UNI you are going to need a lot more than a full back running a dive 25 times and 10 passes.

Grizzlies82
September 19th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I'm very curious to see how this one comes out.
My guess is Cal Poly takes it. Yet expect either way it will be hard fought game and quite close.

uni88
September 19th, 2015, 11:12 AM
UNI absolutely stuffed EWU's running game from the 2nd quarter on. They got beat on the deep balls. I don't know if that was because the CBs got cocky or the Safetys weren't there for the over the top coverage. Overall it was a sloppy game for both teams but a lot of fun to watch. If they played 10 times it would probably end up a 5/5 split.

On Cal Poly, stopping the option is about discipline. Players need to stick with their responsibility and trust their teammates to handle theirs. Rob's correct, that playoff matchup with the Ankle Biters from Wofford was a tough one for UNI and this one should be as well. Cal Poly might be more athletic but Wofford's FB (Breitenstein) was an absolute beast.

citdog
September 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Ah yes The Bear Jew Brightenstein was a good one.

uni88
September 19th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Ah yes The Bear Jew Brightenstein was a good one.
He was the kind of player that was fun to watch.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Cal Poly couldn't afford grass so they put the field on concrete. xlolx

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Wow

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Also, pictures on Twitter of the UNI locker room

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/aa2868cea918c0992c61e447bdafad01.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/3a5520b436cbc4d8aa3d5cb33bec288f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/9b7746842d1a9257e4c0fbf4904cac52.jpg

I went to a high school of 110 kids, 9-12, and we had a bigger locker room for our 6 man track team.

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 06:46 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21354&stc=1

well, they are in the middle of a drought

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2015, 06:48 PM
dude, that's conservation landscaping. Surprised they didn't paint it green though.

Still, stadium looks much better than last visit in 2002

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

cpalum
September 19th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Strange...saw pics of the field yesterday and it looked great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Strange...saw pics of the field yesterday and it looked great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That picture is from today.

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Is there a stream of this game? I don't see it on eversport or ESPN3. It's not listed on Firstrow. Is this on TV anywhere?

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Is there a stream of this game? I don't see it on eversport or ESPN3. It's not listed on Firstrow. Is this on TV anywhere?

I thought Big Sky had free streaming?

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 08:22 PM
http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/cal-poly#schedule

http://www.gopoly.com/sports/fball/Live_Video

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I thought Big Sky had free streaming?

Ah yes. I looked at the landing page and glazed over it! I must be blind!

It's here for anyone that wants to watch it:

http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2015/9/20/northern-iowa-at-cal-poly

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:32 PM
That field looks god awful.

How is it that chewed up already?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Anyone have audio? Both teams were so calm coming out that it looks like the start of warm-ups.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Also these announcers are going to make me drink heavily

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Audio must have been a device error on my end, even though I just watched LU-Montana and didn't change anything but the website.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2015, 09:35 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21354&stc=1

The last Yale game I was able to attend was there. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Also these announcers are going to make me drink heavily

Bud Light, Coors Light, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, ??? xcoolx

- - - Updated - - -

Audio must have been a device error on my end, even though I just watched LU-Montana and didn't change anything but the website.

...and I had audio for the intro video, but now it's quiet again?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Bud Light, Coors Light, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, ??? xcoolx

- - - Updated - - -

...and I had audio for the intro video, but now it's quiet again?
Bud

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Hey Clenz I won't stalk you on this thread - I promise - although I must say the temptation will be overwhelming

centennial
Audio for sale? This game is barely watchable.

clenz
Hey Clenz I won't stalk you on this thread - I promise - although I must say the temptation will be overwhelming
Why?

Why I'll be harder on UNI than anyone else

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Wow. A hurry up offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Why?

Why I'll be harder on UNI than anyone else

No, I will.

Prove me wrong. xrotatehx xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

UNI magically prancing down the field like they are playing the College of Faith-SLO

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Wow. A hurry up offense.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I will.

Prove me wrong. xrotatehx xlolx
Wait for things to go to go wrong and I will

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I don't have audio, did we waste that timeout?

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I have $20 that Rob will be harder on the the Panthers.

I swear, you guys don't actually have fun watching Panther games. xeyebrowx

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 09:42 PM
God I hope UNI just beat the hell out of Poly tonight..!!!

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:43 PM
UNI waltzes into the endzone.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not a bet. Clenz will be harder. We used to bitch to each other and that manifested a great darkness in each of us.

I love how the commercials have audio but not the game?

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I have audio!

Spoke too soon

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I have audio on commercials! No gameplay though. xbangx

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:45 PM

It's fun...just not always... Or often

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Cal Poly has already fallen 85 spots in my poll. Is this for real?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Based on UNIs offense moving the ball they should fall

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Can we get some closed captioning in this bia?

Woah! audio!

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I have game audio now.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Clenz has stolen PantherRobs account log-in :D

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:48 PM
The announcers sound like South Park characters. I love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone else hear that person drive by in a NASCAR and say "3rd down"?

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Now that gameplay is not taking place, I have audio. Hope it stays when the teams actually play!

Hey, the refs call almost blew out my laptop speakers!

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Cal Poly goes for it on 4th and 1 and makes it..

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I think we win if we stop the run. xcoffeex

oh, and tackle that dude.

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Assignment football

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:51 PM
It looks like UNI's DT's could grab the QB and full back within a half second of the snap. There is no blocking from the center. I don't know if there will be much fullback dive success if that continues.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Are there computers in this region that can put score, time and down on the screen?

Can we consider covering WRs? Did we not learn that from last week?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Are there computers in this region that can put score, time and down on the screen?

Everything about this broadcast is junior high quality

Cleets
Wooo Hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picked

PantherRob82
Everything about this broadcast is junior high quality

I bet Peet could get a better production.

centennial
Picked off. UNI ball.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:55 PM
While we were complaining, UNI picked off a pass off of a tip and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Montana fell 2 spots in my poll with that CPU interception.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 09:55 PM
UNI Passes out of the POWER I

Well how about that ***** right there

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I bet Peet could get a better production.
I don't know about Peet. Holmes for sure. I'd bet Lincoln could as well. That's the rich kid elementary. They have all the nice things.

- - - Updated - - -

UNI Passes out of the POWER I

Well how about that ***** right there
This is the exact opposite of what UNI's offense looked like the last two weeks.

PantherRob82
3rd and long....what is the long? you're not showing us.

clenz
HOLY ****ING **** DAURICE!

WHAT A CATCH!

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I don't know about Peet. Holmes for sure. I'd bet Lincoln could as well. That's the rich kid elementary. They have all the nice things.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the exact opposite of what UNI's offense looked like the last two weeks.
Completely new offensive play calls. Did they finally get it down?

- - - Updated - - -

Bailey walks in. 13-0 UNI

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM
UNI 14
CP 0

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 09:58 PM
UNI looking solid on offense!

Cleets
Now this is a FOOTBALL GAME right here...

PantherRob82
UNI looking solid on offense!

Way better than last week, huh?

(and no offense, but we played YOUR defense last week. Go figure. xlolx )

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 09:59 PM
The offense is moving so fast we missed the next two plays on the broadcast.

This is the UNI offense we were promised.

Is this what it feels like to not dread your offense going on the field? I could get used to that

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM
In all seriousness, Cal Poly has fallen 7 spots in my poll so far. I had them pretty high though. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The offense is moving so fast we missed the next two plays on the broadcast.

This is the UNI offense we were promised.

Is this what it feels like to not dread your offense going on the field? I could get used to that

I bet Cap'n Cat is calling the plays. That makes sense.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Completely new offensive play calls. Did they finally get it down?

Completely different formations.
Completely different plays.
Completely different tempo.

Maybe Farley finally gave up control

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Why can't we tackle these dudes? I thought Weber State was the school that sprayed Pam all over.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM
UNI looks FAST on Offense... (that is handy as the season goes on)

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I asked this earlier in the thread but it got missed.

Why in the hell is that field in such terrible condition? It's Cal Poly's first home game. It's 100% dead but they painted it green, and that's now wearing off. The divots make it look like the entire field is use as a tee box at for the local driving range, which is nothing but amateurs who've never played before.

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Way better than last week, huh?

(and no offense, but we played YOUR defense last week. Go figure. xlolx )

Unfortunately, production against our defense is not a good litmus test of offensive strength.:(

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Chris Brown is doing good things with his life since beating Rihanna.

- - - Updated - - -

"They're going to throw it, no the fullback." xlolx

clenz
Why can't we tackle these dudes? I thought Weber State was the school that sprayed Pam all over.
You can see so much focus on taking the dive away they are simply missing assignments and are a step slow getting back to them. Thus the missed tackles. Let the big boys in the middle take care of the full back and stay in your lane and take the pitch as it comes to you.

PantherRob82
Has this announcer watched football before? I love it.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, production against our defense is not a good litmus test of offensive strength.:(
I like self deprecating humor.

If I could rep that post again, I would

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:04 PM
UNI starts the next drive about midfield.

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:05 PM
UNI looks like a different team

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2015, 10:05 PM

That was Sac State I think.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:07 PM
BTW, our left tackle (#75) is a true freshman. He'll be fun to watch the next couple years

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:08 PM
This is nice. All of us hanging out in this thread. Might be more entertaining than the game.

- - - Updated - - -

How did they not sack him? Wow.

centennial
Bailey looks good tonight.

clenz
That was Sac State I think.
It was

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/15/sports/college-football-pam-the-versatile-no-tackle-spray.html

mvemjsunpx
I asked this earlier in the thread but it got missed.

Why in the hell is that field in such terrible condition? It's Cal Poly's first home game. It's 100% dead but they painted it green, and that's now wearing off. The divots make it look like the entire field is use as a tee box at for the local driving range, which is nothing but amateurs who've never played before.

The state has no water. What did you expect?

Seriously, though, I'm guessing the state's restrictions aren't too good for the (grass) football fields down there.

PantherRob82
Are they reviewing the spot?

- - - Updated - - -

Buy some field turf.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Wow... I think he scored man

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:10 PM
This is nice. All of us hanging out in this thread. Might be more entertaining than the game.

So far it is

- - - Updated - - -

For a D1 institution to be able to provide a decent playing surface...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll admit I was 100% wrong on Bailey two weeks ago - assuming the offense stays like this.

I hated him playing QB two weeks ago. He was not made for a slow pace offense. This fast pace, quick read stuff? He is dyn-o-mite!

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:10 PM
21-0

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:11 PM
I thought he scored. Oh well. Hopefully we don't blow it.....couldn't even type that before we scored.

Cleets
Holy Cow Poly..!!!
The doctor couldn't have ordered up a bigger ass whoopin'

dudeitsaid

Seriously, though, I'm guessing the state's restrictions aren't too good for the (grass) football fields down there.

I think if they watered, the grass would be so lush it would match their uniform color, providing an unfair advantage to the home team...

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Haha. Announcer says it's good they are down 21 early because now they can open up the playbook. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

I think if they watered, the grass would be so lush it would match their uniform color, providing an unfair advantage to the home team...

xoutofrepx

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Now this is the offense I've expected to see all year. ASU must not be very good if they let Cal Poly stay around that long.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:16 PM

*ahem.... Cough
Red carpet fans should have no opinion on "the grass"

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Holy Cow Poly..!!!
The doctor couldn't have ordered up a bigger ass whoopin'

I was really hoping for a close battle to end the night... Its early, but it ain't looking good for the 'Stangs.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
That should be a fumble and UNI ball.

Does Poly have review?

- - - Updated - - -

THAT'S A FUBMLE!

PantherRob82
Dude got jacked.

clenz
Dude got jacked.
AND THEN FUMBLED

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:19 PM
The announcer is HILARIOUS... after the first down measurement "Boy they needed that"

That made me laugh

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:20 PM
AND THEN FUMBLED

fo sho. Their Beta cams can't get that angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone said, "Chris Brown hit that hole harder than he hit Rhianna?"

dudeitsaid
That should be a fumble and UNI ball.

Does Poly have review?

- - - Updated - - -

THAT'S A FUBMLE!

All Big Sky games now are required to have replay.

clenz
WHY WASN'T THAT REVIEWED?

WHY ARE THERE 10 MINUTE STOPS AFTER EVERY 4 PLAYS?

IT'S ALREADY 10:20 PM OUT HERE. I HAVE A BED TIME TO MAKE YET.

PantherRob82
So now we're reviewing? xlolx F'n Big Sky

clenz
I wish we could hear the officials mic so we knew what the **** was going on.

JayJ79
That field looks god awful.

How is it that chewed up already?

I believe the stadium is also used for soccer games.
cal poly has both mens and womens teams who play there.

with the drought and water restrictions, that could chew it up

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:21 PM
The announcers are baffled. xlolx

I can hear them talking over the commercial now.

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 10:21 PM
214 - 66 in total yards in 1st quarter

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:22 PM
So now we're reviewing? xlolx F'n Big Sky
But what? A play was run?

Is this how every Poly home game is run/produced?

What a damn clown show

- - - Updated - - -

The announcers are baffled. xlolx

I can hear them talking over the commercial now.
The deep breathing is both my favorite, and creepiest, moment

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 10:23 PM
clock issue.

Muslim kid was running the game clock and someone thought it was a bomb.
(that's a joke based on a recent news story)

PantherRob82
Great quote on PN about Stevie Wonder running the cameras.

Panther-State
MAYBE he stepped out of bounds? CP is lucky that one was called "out" by the refs, because he obviously fumbled it immediately upon contact. And can I get a freaking scoreboard or something?

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:24 PM
clock issue.

Muslim kid was running the game clock and someone thought it was a bomb.
(that's a joke based on a recent news story)

I got it, Jay. It was good and is relevant. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

MAYBE he stepped out of bounds? CP is lucky that one was called "out" by the refs, because he obviously fumbled it immediately upon contact. And can I get a freaking scoreboard or something?

espn.com

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Hall says, "what's up?" politely to the ball carrier.

centennial
21-7

PantherRob82
Dang it, they scored.

clenz
I blame that TD on the fact that the refs, for no reason, replayed an entire down after it happened. That set up a 2nd and 5 rather than a 2nd and 11, as it should have been. Completely changed play calls

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I wish we could hear the officials mic so we knew what the **** was going on.
We can't understand it at the game either

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I blame that TD on the fact that the refs, for no reason, replayed an entire down after it happened. That set up a 2nd and 5 rather than a 2nd and 11, as it should have been. Completely changed play calls

Not to mention the fact that Cal Poly fumbled it away on the play beforehand. And mysteriously no review of that....

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Apparently Cal Poly is supposed to try and stop us, according to the announcer.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:29 PM
How as that not a hit on defensless reciever? Brown as top of jump at full extension and after the ball was past him the cal poly db launched into him. Hit him in the waste, but still 100% late and cheap

Panther-State
Apparently Cal Poly is supposed to try and stop us, according to the announcer.

Did someone relay the message to their coaches? They're completely unaware of this fact, apparently

PantherRob82
These announcers trying to make sense of things is just making this a great night.

Cleets
Obviously the Stangs were in thew wrong defense (it happens) but the announcers were again hilarious

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I think they are drunk....

It's like Wasted History...but Wasted College Football

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:30 PM
How as that not a hit on defensless reciever? Brown as top of jump at full extension and after the ball was past him the cal poly db launched into him. Hit him in the waste, but still 100% late and cheap

Looked like he hurt his arm when he landed on the concrete.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Debating whether QBs say hut or hike? xlolx

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM
2 penalties in a row

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:32 PM
That was painful to watch. Apparently the defense diagnosed the screen? xlolx

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:32 PM
He smelled it... he smelled screen... (now I'm rolling on the ground)

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:33 PM
This isn't their radio crew.....right?

Panther-State
Nevermind guys. The pony express finally arrived with word that a defense is supposed to STOP the opposing offense.

clenz
Coach Farley said "Hey, tackle that guy"

Bison56
I want these announcers to do every game I watch. And the camera crew.

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Debating whether QBs say hut or hike? xlolx

It's their first time doing this... They just come from calling Bingo at the local senior center as part of the Labor Ready temp agency.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:34 PM
This isn't their radio crew.....right?

God I hope it is... that would make this even more comical

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I want these announcers to do every game I watch.

Agreed.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:36 PM
God I hope it is... that would make this even more comical

No one would have ANY idea what was going on.

Panther-State
Weymiller living dangerously on that punt. Sweet spin but let's not try that everytime a defender is inches away from laying you out.

clenz
Browsing Twitter and I found out UNI's radio PxP guys are forced to be ON TOP of the pressbox under a tent.

What the flying ****?

Is everything Cal Poly does this low quality?

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I'm watching (and recording) the game on TV muted, with Rima's radio broadcast on. might have to rewatch the recording just to hear the commentary.

evidently it was a fumble, but UNI's guy was out of bounds when he recovered it or something.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Browsing Twitter and I found out UNI's radio PxP guys are forced to be ON TOP of the pressbox under a tent.

What the flying ****?

That is amazing. Did they blame that on the drought too?

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Apparently the announcers left.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I'm watching (and recording) the game on TV muted, with Rima's radio broadcast on. might have to rewatch the recording just to hear the commentary.

evidently it was a fumble, but UNI's guy was out of bounds when he recovered it or something.He was not.

He was inside the guys laying on the field on the sideline

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Audio is gone again. Someone wiggle the connector.

clenz
That is amazing. Did they blame that on the drought too?
From Gary Rima's twitter...

https://twitter.com/oprsportsguy/status/645416554147020800

centennial
On it.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:40 PM
I, sadly, have never lost audio once.

dudeitsaid

What the flying ****?

The "announcers" were talking about the booth next to them now being used for the replay officials. It used to be for the visiting teams media. Guess we know where they are now. Wow!

PantherRob82
I, sadly, have never lost audio once.

Are you watching on American Sports? I am watching eversport.

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Link with audio?

Bison56
September 19th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Anyone know what quarter and time left?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Yeah - the ASN broadcast on KGAN

- - - Updated - - -

2nd quarter...probably about 5 minutes or so

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM
On it.
Audio back on

Bison56
September 19th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Someone plugged the mics back in!

- - - Updated - - -

Audio back on

Thanks for getting on that.

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Who wiggled the jack... we've got sound

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:45 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21356&stc=1

This was sent to me on Twitter - if it's from someone that posts here please claim it.

Apparently our PxP guys are in the red circle.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2015, 10:45 PM
An audio link. I think they use the same for video and audion.

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/calpoly/portal.htm?eventId=226753&streamType=audio#

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Just realized this probably is their radio crew, they seem to have a knowledge of the details of the last game. Wow.

dudeitsaid
Wow, Poly just shooting themselves in the foot!

Panther-State
Even when they manage to put up a score board there's no time, no play clock, no down & distance. WTF?!

And the tipped flip on the option turns into a turnover for the Panther D. Great play by Ales. What a monster.

Cleets
Hmmm... He tried to hand it to the UNI player (not a good strategy)

clenz
Just realized this probably is their radio crew, they seem to have a knowledge of the details of the last game. Wow.
You very clearly are getting different guys than I am. One is an old white guy that is about 5'4 the other is a 6'9 black guy

These guys are a massive joke as well.

I've heard 3 references to "milking cows" when talking about UNI players and fans

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:48 PM
TOUCHDOWN PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitting post for post number 9,700 for me

centennial
28-7

clenz
28-0
28-7 sadly

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:51 PM
You very clearly are getting different guys than I am. One is an old white guy that is about 5'4 the other is a 6'9 black guy

These guys are a massive joke as well.

I've heard 3 references to "milking cows" when talking about UNI players and fans

Yeah, totally different guys. You are watching an "actual network". I've seen a basketball game on their "network".

- - - Updated - - -

Um...the game just changed over to the Fresh Prince....

centennial
Fresh prince of Bel Air

dudeitsaid
What. In. The. World. Fresh Prince of Bel Air now taking over the stream!

unigriff
clenz, its my first time seeing bailey. Seems faster than Rennie, throws hard like Carnes but seems to be a better passer than Rennie/Carnes. Your thoughts? I know I didn't see first two games, but he seems very impressive thus far.

dudeitsaid
September 19th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Guess they decided there's nothing more to see here. Fresh Prince is always good for those Cali folks.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Wtf

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:54 PM
audio is gone again.

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 10:54 PM
clenz, its my first time seeing bailey. Seems faster than Rennie, throws hard like Carnes but seems to be a better passer than Rennie/Carnes. Your thoughts? I know I didn't see first two games, but he seems very impressive thus far.

This has been his best game by far. It's also been the weakest defense we've faced this year.

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 10:55 PM
audio is gone again.
Mute and use this
http://portal.stretchinternet.com/calpoly/portal.htm?eventId=226753&streamType=audio#

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:56 PM
My opinion of Bailey is different now than it was even before kick off.

The Bailey I watched the first two game had no reason to be on the field at QB. He should have been on the field at RB or WR. He isn't made of a "slow" offense that UNI had been running.

This offense, and this Bailey, are a perfect match. If we keep seeing this, from both, the sky is the limit with the offense.

He's faster than Rennie, for sure.
He's bigger than both (both of them were about 5'10 180-190 lbs...Bailey is built kind of like Vince Young)
He throws like Rennie - better than Carnes but not fantastic.

Really, he reminds me a BIG Rennie. That's a good thing. I liked Rennie...even if I'm the only one.

I said he's built like Young, and that's kind of who he reminds me of tonight. Long stride. Strong arm but not overly accurate. Makes guys miss without trying

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 10:56 PM
"If Dexter doesn't make that tackle, Garcia probably would've gone"...as about 3-4 Panthers converged on the ball carrier. Seriously guys?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:57 PM
This has been his best game by far. It's also been the weakest defense we've faced this year.
False.

EWU is the weakest defense we will ever see.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Sawyer is in? 2 minute drill?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Sawyer is in? 2 minute drill?Better passer. So I'd assume so.

Tyvis is running like a man ****ing possessed tonight. I love it

Panther-State
False.

EWU is the weakest defense we will ever see.

EWU didn't give receivers 15 yds of cushion every passing play. This D is garbage.

clenz
Now, if the UNI WR's would stop dropping Sawyers passes he'd have another 30-40 yards passing and we might have scored by now

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Better passer. So I'd assume so.

Tyvis is running like a man ****ing possessed tonight. I love it

No clock on my screen

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Not a bad thing that pass was dropped but we're not helping Sawyer on this drive.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:01 PM
EWU didn't give receivers 15 yds of cushion every passing play. This D is garbage.
EWU's coaches aren't smart enough to figure out when to, and when not to, give press or off coverage.

I don't care what the score/points/yards from this game is like. EWU's defense is MUCH worse. EWU also played against a UNI offense that wasn't this. This UNI offense puts 60 up on EWU last weekend

Cleets
September 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Kollmorgan (sp) looks like a fun second option QB

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM
No clock on my screen
I don't have score or time.

The TV guys at least update the time every 8 minutes of real time

centennial
September 19th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Picked off

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Why not try a 58 yarder? :)

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:04 PM
If Charles Brown get's led just a little better, or pays attention to the sideline, this is a 4 score game. 28-7 at half. This game has not been close...to this point

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Picked off
Picks in those situations don't count, imo.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I don't have score or time.

The TV guys at least update the time every 8 minutes of real time
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/f40a10ca6b23eac5a6b8e0776fa5ae24.jpg

See...no clock, no score.

Good picture though...especially for not having cable and only a relatively low power indoor antenna

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Good picture though...especially for not having cable and only a relatively low power indoor antenna

aren't you right down the street from their broadcast tower?

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:17 PM
aren't you right down the street from their broadcast tower?
Strangely enough, it's pretty much 50/50 with Cedar Falls and Marion.

KCRG (ABC) and KGAN (CBS) (all Cedar Rapids stations) all use the same tower cluster as KWWL (NBC) (Waterloo/Cedar Falls) in between Walker and Rowley and Quasquenton.

What's strange is KFXA (Fox), which shares a studio and is a sister station with KGAN actually broadcasts from a completely different cluster over towards Vinton/Clutier

It's about 24 miles from my house to the cluster of towers and about 29 from the house I owned in Cedar Rapids

The things you learn when you drop cable...

Sorry for you non eastern Iowa posters. None of this makes any sense to you, but for Jay, Rob, Panther-State, and myself it will

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:21 PM
You spoke to soon. That was essentially gibberish to me here in West Des Moines.

That word "Cedar Falls" looks familiar though

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 11:23 PM
I understood it all...even from here in Texas :) 24 years in Iowa helped out :)

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM
holding like a MF'r

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM
You spoke to soon. That was essentially gibberish to me here in West Des Moines.

That word "Cedar Falls" looks familiar though
http://antennapoint.com/antennas/show?id=52302&commit=Search

I live in Marion.

KCRG, KFXA and KGAN all are CR stations but broadcast as close to CF as Marion.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Tough call. Didn't see that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, thought that was going to be a TD...

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:31 PM
So...we should just have Kilfoy spy Brown the rest of the game. He's their only weapon

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:32 PM
So...we should just have Kilfoy spy Brown the rest of the game. He's their only weapon
He kills us when he fakes the FB dive and then stays inside

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:34 PM
He kills us when he fakes the FB dive and then stays inside
It's why the defense should drop to a 4-3 monster with Kilfoy as the monster.

Set Kilfoy up right behind Farley and let him just read only Brown.

They aren't going to beat UNI by throwing the ball...or giving to the full back...or trying to stretch the field after a pitch. UNI is too big up front and too fast on the edge.

Use Kilfoy to spy

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think I'd say this 2 weeks ago.

Bailey needs to keep it on these read looks more.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:34 PM
It's why the defense should drop to a 4-3 monster with Kilfoy as the monster.

Set Kilfoy up right behind Farley and let him just read only Brown.

They aren't going to beat UNI by throwing the ball...or giving to the full back...or trying to stretch the field after a pitch. UNI is too big up front and too fast on the edge.

Use Kilfoy to spy

Agreed. They've gotten killed on the edge.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Charles Brown needs new gloves and about 20 hours of jugs work on the sideline this week

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Charles Brown needs new gloves and about 20 hours of jugs work on the sideline this week
A lot of drops tonight from multiple WRs.

JayJ79
September 19th, 2015, 11:36 PM
and UNI's offense is back to the level it was at the past few weeks. (although the receivers are more to blame this time around)

unigriff
September 19th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Brown is leading the way by a long shot with drops..everyone else has 1 or so. Brown has at least 4

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Brown is leading the way by a long shot with drops..everyone else has 1 or so. Brown has at least 4

If you aren't counting that one where he caught it wide open out of bounds, you should. Not a heads up play.

Panther-State
September 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM
And there is the Northern Illinois mistake. At least he owned up to it

- - - Updated - - -

Review the play! That's another fumble that at least deserves a ​look

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM
They need to review that.

clenz
September 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM
These refs are really bad at determining fumbles on the sideline.

This is now twice UNI has been screwed over on it

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure the ref is going to say forward progress was stopped as he did the "wind the clock" motion as the ball came out.

What a ****ing horse **** crew we've got here (production and officiating)