PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Super Bowl

bonarae
September 14th, 2015, 07:00 PM
NCAA.com wrote a good piece regarding the UND-NDSU rivalry.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-09-13/und-ndsu-matchup-brings-back-north-dakota-super-bowl-after-12-years

nodak651
September 14th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Nice title xrolleyesx Was wondering when a thread would get created. Would like to think we can cover the spread.... damn.

centennial
September 14th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Good article but a good part of the NDSU fan base does not want the game. Interesting that the article is from the GF Herald. If UND shows up they keep it to 2-3 touchdowns. If they don't this will be a bloodbath.

BisonFan02
September 14th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Nice title xrolleyesx Was wondering when a thread would get created. Would like to think we can cover the spread.... damn.

Not too far off....throw the word "State" in between Dakota/Super, and the thread title would be inaccurate.

Professor Chaos
September 14th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, as the week goes on it'll be more and more mentally fatiguing seeing the "good for the state" BS pile up. It's good for UND, for NDSU it's not nearly as big of a deal. If Bubba keeps UND trending upward I could see the old fire in the rivalry getting rekindled, especially because you can bet your house that if they're both in the playoffs the NCAA is going to pair them together or as close to together as possible. But for now it's good for UND and it is, at best, an equal balance of pros and cons for NDSU (and you'll find me in the minority of Bison fans for even giving it that much credit).

Southern Bison
September 14th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Eleven years too long overdue...thanks to the whiny little pissants up north.

We're going to whip some Whioux ass!

BisonFan02
September 14th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Yeah, as the week goes on it'll be more and more mentally fatiguing seeing the "good for the state" BS pile up. It's good for UND, for NDSU it's not nearly as big of a deal. If Bubba keeps UND trending upward I could see the old fire in the rivalry getting rekindled, especially because you can bet your house that if they're both in the playoffs the NCAA is going to pair them together or as close to together as possible. But for now it's good for UND and it is, at best, an equal balance of pros and cons for NDSU.

It is an inexpensive guarantee game that NDSU was able to sign with no return contract on the table. I hadn't ever seen a "home...and another home" agreement signed before, and the going rate was a lot cheaper than bringing in a MEAC/SWAC/NEC opponent. People can call it sour grapes all they want, but until NDSU and UND are in the same conference, this game isn't going to be a yearly thing...let alone a trip by NDSU to Grand Forks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2015, 07:46 PM
My daughter, a student at NDSU, said the 4200 student tickets went in one minute. She got hers!!!

Not a rivalry?

centennial
September 14th, 2015, 07:49 PM
It is an inexpensive guarantee game that NDSU was able to sign with no return contract on the table. I hadn't ever seen a "home...and another home" agreement signed before, and the going rate was a lot cheaper than bringing in a MEAC/SWAC/NEC opponent. People can call it sour grapes all they want, but until NDSU and UND are in the same conference, this game isn't going to be a yearly thing...let alone a trip by NDSU to Grand Forks.
The fact that UND took a deal not even MEAC, NEC, D2, D3 schools would take is proof enough of what side wanted it. Regardless, the game is getting played and I am excited to see it.

BisonFan02
September 14th, 2015, 07:52 PM
My daughter, a student at NDSU, said the 4200 student tickets went in one minute. She got hers!!!

Not a rivalry?

I imagine they went that quick for the ****ing Weber game too... xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I imagine they went that quick for the ****ing Weber game too... xlolx

Maybe she went online right away for the Weber game also and got a ticket. She didn't mention any thing about a waiting list for students for the Weber game.

IBleedYellow
September 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Weber Game never sold out 100%.

For a banner raising.

Not exactly thrilled this game is happening, and I know lots of other TM's that aren't aswell, but it's an NDSU home game. Let's go put up a W!

Bisonator
September 14th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Show no mercy!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21329&stc=1

Professor Chaos
September 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Yep, agreed. I just hope NDSU's leadership doesn't succumb to the pressure that will undoubtedly come to sign contracts involving a game or games in Grand Forks. I'm pretty sure the only way UND agreed to this deal was with the expectation that those games are coming in a new contract after this one is done.

BisonBacker
September 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Weber Game never sold out 100%.

For a banner raising.

Not exactly thrilled this game is happening, and I know lots of other TM's that aren't aswell, but it's an NDSU home game. Let's go put up a W!

Doing prehaul for the sugar beet season and was listening to the radio in the truck today. My god it's sickening how the media is trying to drum this up as something huge. Add on to that the fact that several of them discredited anyone who said it wasn't or had a differing view than theirs. I just finally shut it off couldn't listen to that crap anymore. As to the every year thing unless they are in the same conference there's no way that's happening. Can't wait for this crap to be over.

FargoBison
September 14th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Maybe she went online right away for the Weber game also and got a ticket. She didn't mention any thing about a waiting list for students for the Weber game.

Student tickets were gone on the first day for the Weber game, no idea on when. Just remember seeing the tweet.

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 14th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Doing prehaul for the sugar beet season and was listening to the radio in the truck today. My god it's sickening how the media is trying to drum this up as something huge. Add on to that the fact that several of them discredited anyone who said it wasn't or had a differing view than theirs. I just finally shut it off couldn't listen to that crap anymore. As to the every year thing unless they are in the same conference there's no way that's happening. Can't wait for this crap to be over.

I agree. I had to turn KFAN off at noon. It was sickening.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Of course the media is going to "pimp" this game. What do you anti-game guys expect?

I'm pretty much indifferent to it but as long as it is going to be played then all in on it. Beat their ass!!

I expect the FD crowd to be loud and full of energy.

I cannot wait for Saturday! !

Nodak78
September 14th, 2015, 09:18 PM
So 16 of the 18 posts are from bison fans. I feel a chill in the air. 5dimes is spotting UND 30 points.

dewey
September 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM
5dimes is spotting UND 30 points.

Dang 30 points is a LOT! I am excited to go with my father in law and 2 of my son's to wait in line Friday night and then start tailgating bright and early Saturday morning. If anyone sees a guy wearing Griz stuff following behind 2 happy boys on their scooters say hi to me. I lost a bet on the Montana vs NDSU game and now I have to wear Griz apparel all day Saturday.

Go Bison!

Dewey

Roamingriz
September 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM
So Ive been reading a bit of what Dom izzo writes only lately and I like most of what he writes. I watched this recap and I like the positivity, the enthusiasm and its cool to see a dude doin a recap show rockin plaid. Dude says it may well be more of a rivalry between the old fan bases that remember the old days of the rivalry. Anyway I think it is great to fire in-states up like that when possible on equal footing. Well, same scholly levels at least, and kudos to nd for raising their game providing cost of attendance at the university. Hafta see how that pays dividends down the road. Anyway I like these guys. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-postgame-show-vs-weber-state/

TheKingpin28
September 14th, 2015, 11:22 PM
I'm just ready to punish my liver and watch some football.

BisonFan02
September 14th, 2015, 11:36 PM
http://www.wday.com/news/3839011-former-bismarck-mayor-fighting-north-dakota-nickname

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/this-guy...i-love-this-guy-drunk-baby-meme.jpg

Bisonoline
September 14th, 2015, 11:52 PM
People can try and deny that this match up isnt a big deal. Well all you are trying to do is minimize it based on your own feeling about UND.The fact is it should be about the game. The game is huge. To you? No. To many yes. The Fargodome will be sold out. The difference is at this game most of the seats will have butts in them.

dewey
September 15th, 2015, 05:25 AM
So Ive been reading a bit of what Dom izzo writes only lately and I like most of what he writes. I watched this recap and I like the positivity, the enthusiasm and its cool to see a dude doin a recap show rockin plaid. Dude says it may well be more of a rivalry between the old fan bases that remember the old days of the rivalry. Anyway I think it is great to fire in-states up like that when possible on equal footing. Well, same scholly levels at least, and kudos to nd for raising their game providing cost of attendance at the university. Hafta see how that pays dividends down the road. Anyway I like these guys. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-postgame-show-vs-weber-state/

Dom Izzo has done a great job covering the Bison and the FCS in general. If there is a better person covering the FCS I would love to see it.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2015, 05:53 AM
People can try and deny that this match up isnt a big deal. Well all you are trying to do is minimize it based on your own feeling about UND.The fact is it should be about the game. The game is huge. To you? No. To many yes. The Fargodome will be sold out. The difference is at this game most of the seats will have butts in them.

Good post PL!!

My wife, a UND grad, has converted to a Bison Fan and will be wearing her Bison yellow!!!

Drblankstare
September 15th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Dang 30 points is a LOT! I am excited to go with my father in law and 2 of my son's to wait in line Friday night and then start tailgating bright and early Saturday morning. If anyone sees a guy wearing Griz stuff following behind 2 happy boys on their scooters say hi to me. I lost a bet on the Montana vs NDSU game and now I have to wear Griz apparel all day Saturday.

Go Bison!

Dewey

Kudos to you for following through with the bet. Who did you lose it too?

dewey
September 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Kudos to you for following through with the bet. Who did you lose it too?

I lost the bet to my father in laws brother who is a HUGE Montana fan and when I called him after the game he said he was at the book store picking out my clothes. The good thing is that he is an NDSU fan behind the Grizzlies similar to me being a Grizzlies fan behind the Bison.

Here were the terms of our bet.
When NDSU beats the University of Montana in football on August 29th 2015 XXX will wear NDSU clothes to be provided by dewey to the Montana vs. Montana State game in Bozeman Montana on November 21st 2015 time is TBD. Assuming tickets are obtained for the game.

If (and that is a HUGE if) The University of Montana wins the game versus NDSU in football on August 29th 2015 dewey will wear University of Montana clothes (to be provided by XXX) to the NDSU vs. Northern Iowa game in Fargo North Dakota on October 10th 2015 at 1:00 p.m. CDT. Assuming tickets are obtained for the game.

He has graciously allowed me to wear the clothes to this game as I don't have tickets tot he UNI game.

Dewey

Pinnum
September 15th, 2015, 07:28 AM

The fact that UND took a deal not even MEAC, NEC, D2, D3 schools would take is proof enough of what side wanted it. Regardless, the game is getting played and I am excited to see it.

Well, there are actual expenses included. I don't know what dollar amounts were part of the deal but it is customary that visiting teams are responsible for all their own expenses. So if there is a $50k guarantee being offered but it will cost $30k for a team to actually travel from MD, NY, VA, FL or wherever else they may come from they may not be getting a very good deal when they have to miss classes for the trip and give up a home date or a road trip with easier travel.

At the same time, there may be another team that may only have to spend $5k on travel may find a $40k offer much better option for their program.

It isn't really fair to compare total dollars offered in the guarantee since there are a lot of factors that go in to making it worth while for a program.

Evolution Prime
September 15th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Show no mercy!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21329&stc=1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/EvolutionPrime/Mobile%20Uploads/Custom%20Image2_zpsngy72yt3.jpg

F'N Hawks
September 15th, 2015, 08:14 AM
http://www.wday.com/news/3839011-former-bismarck-mayor-fighting-north-dakota-nickname

He just wasted $75.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Most people don't have an issue with the actual game. It's the **** that inevitably goes with it. If it was just about the game it would have been scheduled long ago.

He just wasted $75.

Yeah that guys a moron.

F'N Hawks
September 15th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Most people don't have an issue with the actual game. It's the **** that inevitably goes with it. If it was just about the game it would have been scheduled long ago.

My thoughts: for everyone who is claiming that "all the ***** that goes along with it" is going to ruin the game - why don't you look at it in a positive way? I have a feeling those that are fear-mongering about all the bad stuff that is going to happen are going to somehow, someway be real close to bad stuff that might happen.

If you keep "hoping" for bad stuff to happen, it might actually come to fruition.

I have yet to see one UND fan anywhere mention anything negative about the game. Twitter, AGS, and SS are all NDSU fans fear-mongering about all the bad, bad things that are going to happen.

Why not look at it like you are going to actually have fun and leave your venom at the door for 5-6 hours?

nodak651
September 15th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Yeah that guys a moron.

Well, he is a NDSU grad.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Well, he is a NDSU grad.

I know. Yes we have our share of morons too.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2015, 09:02 AM
One thing I don't get is why a lot of my fellow Bison fans are so preoccupied with the fan base "looking bad". This is/was a nasty rivalry but it's really no different from a lot of other college football rivalries out there. The difference is here in Fargo the local fishwrap and local radio shock jocks will act all up in arms if a naughty word is heard associated with the opposing team so they'll throw out all sorts of propaganda saying we should all be outraged about it because they know it generates listeners/web site hits. I prefer to ignore that junk completely and I wish more people would also cuz it's the same **** that happens everywhere else and really isn't that unique to the NDSU/UND rivalry. The only people who really care are the ones that think it makes us "look bad".

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
My thoughts: for everyone who is claiming that "all the ***** that goes along with it" is going to ruin the game - why don't you look at it in a positive way? I have a feeling those that are fear-mongering about all the bad stuff that is going to happen are going to somehow, someway be real close to bad stuff that might happen.

If you keep "hoping" for bad stuff to happen, it might actually come to fruition.

I have yet to see one UND fan anywhere mention anything negative about the game. Twitter, AGS, and SS are all NDSU fans fear-mongering about all the bad, bad things that are going to happen.

Why not look at it like you are going to actually have fun and leave your venom at the door for 5-6 hours?

Yeah it's only NDSU fans that start ****. xrolleyesx

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
One thing I don't get is why a lot of my fellow Bison fans are so preoccupied with the fan base "looking bad". This is/was a nasty rivalry but it's really no different from a lot of other college football rivalries out there. The difference is here in Fargo the local fishwrap and local radio shock jocks will act all up in arms if a naughty word is heard associated with the opposing team so they'll throw out all sorts of propaganda saying we should all be outraged about it because they know it generates listeners/web site hits. I prefer to ignore that junk completely and I wish more people would also cuz it's the same **** that happens everywhere else and really isn't that unique to the NDSU/UND rivalry. The only people who really care are the ones that think it makes us "look bad".

I'm "going dark" as far as media goes until the SDSU game...

F'N Hawks
September 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Yeah it's only NDSU fans that start ****. xrolleyesx

That is the response I thought I would get.

If you go look around this week, 100% of the tweets to Dom Izzo, Kolpack, McFeeley, Schlossman, and Tom Miller are all NDSU fans telling everyone how bad its going to be and how they don't want the game. That can't help the atmosphere.

It's like they are wanting it to go bad so they can say "I told you so".

This isn't smack either. I am in line with Professor in that I don't understand why everyone wants it to go bad and keep fear-mongering.

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Exactly. It's called a heated rivalry for a reason. Do people really think its any worse than Bama/Auburn, Oregon/OSU, Montana/MSU etc? The game sparks interest in the casual fan, as well as the fans that have been around for 30-40+years. There's a reason the media hypes it a bit, because more people across the state are paying attention to it. Is it UND's Super Bowl, who cares if it is or isn't. In my family, there are people who are Bison grads/fans and some who are UND fans/grads...my cousin is actually married to one of the NDSU strength coaches. I can't wait to rub it in when UND wins on Saturday! ;-)

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Exactly. It's called a heated rivalry for a reason. Do people really think its any worse than Bama/Auburn, Oregon/OSU, etc? The game sparks interest in the casual fan, as well as the fans that have been around for 30-40+years. There's a reason the media hypes it a bit, because more people across the state are paying attention to it. Is it UND's Super Bowl, who cares if it is or isn't. In my family, there are people who are Bison grads/fans and some who are UND fans/grads...my cousin is actually married to one of the NDSU strength coaches. I can't wait to rub it in when UND wins on Saturday! ;-)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m44qo19j2e1r52he3o1_500.gif

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2015, 09:18 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m44qo19j2e1r52he3o1_500.gif
I'm sure he's referring to their women's volleyball matches against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and USC Upstate.

dewey
September 15th, 2015, 09:19 AM
For those of you that want a little history on the rivalry between NDSU and UND when both schools were a their best this is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2UUz_tEIw

Dewey

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Realistically do I think we will win, no. But it's a rivalry and anything can happen. UND will want to come out and show they are better than the effort they put up against Drake. Will it be enough to knock off the Bison, odds are it won't, but you never know. As a homer, I need to think positive...

FCSwatcher
September 15th, 2015, 09:21 AM
It will only make a fan base look bad if the fan base makes themselves look bad.

This game isn't about the fanbase. It is about two teams playing a game. I will guarantee after the game there will be handshakes, and such showing respect.

Fortunately they people on these forums are not a true representation of the fanbases. Most the complainers are extremists.

I started going to three games in 1983, and I miss the trips, along with the bantering with my friends on the other side. If my team loses I will still wake up the next day and life goes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
September 15th, 2015, 09:26 AM
It will only make a fan base look bad if the fan base makes themselves look bad.

This game isn't about the fanbase. It is about two teams playing a game. I will guarantee after the game there will be handshakes, and such showing respect.

Fortunately they people on these forums are not a true representation of the fanbases. Most the complainers are extremists.

I started going to three games in 1983, and I miss the trips, along with the bantering with my friends on the other side. If my team loses I will still wake up the next day and life goes on

Agreed. Griz/cat is as heated and nasty as rivalries get, but at the end of the day, we're all Montanans and it's just a football game. No need for anyone to end up in jail or the hospital over it.

F'N Hawks
September 15th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'm sure he's referring to their women's volleyball matches against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and USC Upstate.

Volleyball smack, really? xthumbsupx

No_Skill
September 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with how civil it's been so far on AGS. Looks like most of the crazies are staying on their respective fan boards.

Kudos

...of course it is only Tuesday. ;)

Yote 53
September 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM
If NDSU doesn't want an annual series with UND then I'm sure South Dakota would be more than happy to ink an annual series with the UNDies, at least our fan base would. I'd love to get them back on the schedule every year. Regional game, border battle, OOC , and a long history against that team from Grand Forks, about as long of a history that the Bison have against them.

UND agreed to terms leveraged in the Bison's favor because they had to. They understood the position they are in. I'm sure they are hoping for a wonderful, competitive game, and then for the populace to cry out loud enough that it forces the game to happen every year. Don't think that can't happen? The state legislature in Iowa finally got involved and that is why you see Iowa and Iowa State play every year, much to the chagrin of many Hawkeye fans who do not want the game and feel the same way towards the Cyclones that many Bison fans feel towards UND.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 10:27 AM
If NDSU doesn't want an annual series with UND then I'm sure South Dakota would be more than happy to ink an annual series with the UNDies, at least our fan base would. I'd love to get them back on the schedule every year. Regional game, border battle, OOC , and a long history against that team from Grand Forks, about as long of a history that the Bison have against them.

UND agreed to terms leveraged in the Bison's favor because they had to. They understood the position they are in. I'm sure they are hoping for a wonderful, competitive game, and then for the populace to cry out loud enough that it forces the game to happen every year. Don't think that can't happen? The state legislature in Iowa finally got involved and that is why you see Iowa and Iowa State play every year, much to the chagrin of many Hawkeye fans who do not want the game and feel the same way towards the Cyclones that many Bison fans feel towards UND.

You guys go ahead. UND and USD are perfect for each other.

kingranch
September 15th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I just hope klieman understands the rivalry, meaning if we are up 34-3 going into the fourth quarter, keep the foot firmly planted on the accelerator!

deez_na
September 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I just hope klieman understands the rivalry, meaning if we are up 34-3 going into the fourth quarter, keep the foot firmly planted on the accelerator!

LOL yup, don't pull the starters til the 4th quarter is over.

dewey
September 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM
LOL yup, don't pull the starters til the 4th quarter is over.

I do understand the feeling of wanting to destroy the team to the North but I hope if/when the Bison are up by a comfortable margin they pull the starters and get the 2nd and 3rd stringers vaulable game experience. I also don't want to see a starter get injured after the game is hopefully in hand. Much like NDSU playing Carson Wentz in the 4th quarter last week when the game was in hand. Get Wentz out and get Stick some valuable game expereince.

Go Bison!

Dewey

BisonTru
September 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM

F that! We've got bigger fish to fry this season. Keep guys healthy.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Beyond all the fluff surrounding the game this will actually be a better matchup than most, including myself, would've thought at the start of the year. UND's run defense is stout and NDSU, as always, prides themselves on being able to run the ball effectively even when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming. It'll be strength on strength in the trenches when NDSU's O and UND's D are out on the field, should be interesting to watch it play out.

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2015, 11:41 AM
You youngsters don't realize how bitter and trivial this was when it was a rivalry. Sure I don't mind a deal on a pay game, it's still Bison football. In the old days with the Sioux Sucks shirts and all, there were some real stupid things that happened on both sides of the fandom. I never saw a Sioux Suck shirt that didn't have some sort of a sodomy or oral sex cartoon on it. I've seen UND fans beat up UND fans, just because they had a Fargo dealership on their vehicle. Bison fans stand along the baseline at a basketball game, holding men's magazine centerfolds out while the UND players were shooting free throws. Family yelling at family, or friends no longer being friends, because the smack talk. The UND band stopping their performance at Dakotah field because the Bison fans yelling Boring or Sioux Suck.

A coulpe of PC home games every 10 years with the Sundogs, will be fine with me.

Grizalltheway
September 15th, 2015, 11:57 AM
You youngsters don't realize how bitter and trivial this was when it was a rivalry. Sure I don't mind a deal on a pay game, it's still Bison football. In the old days with the Sioux Sucks shirts and all, there were some real stupid things that happened on both sides of the fandom. I never saw a Sioux Suck shirt that didn't have some sort of a sodomy or oral sex cartoon on it. I've seen UND fans beat up UND fans, just because they had a Fargo dealership on their vehicle. Bison fans stand along the baseline at a basketball game, holding men's magazine centerfolds out while the UND players were shooting free throws. Family yelling at family, or friends no longer being friends, because the smack talk. The UND band stopping their performance at Dakotah field because the Bison fans yelling Boring or Sioux Suck.

A coulpe of PC home games every 10 years with the Sundogs, will be fine with me.

Again, sounds more like a problem with some of the people who follow the rivalry, rather than the rivalry itself.

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Again, sounds more like a problem with some of the people who follow the rivalry, rather than the rivalry itself.

............and I don't miss some of those people.

FCSwatcher
September 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Great point. Funny how a game that people say means nothing brings so much talk.

jacksfan29
September 15th, 2015, 12:39 PM

I don't think it becomes an every year until they are in the same conference (which I think could eventually happen). Had USD gone to the Big Sky the SDSU/USD football game would have happened, and it would have happened fairly regularly. Just not every year. Basketball is a different story. There is more breathing room in scheduling. In FB, if you lock in a non-conference rivalry game you have to give something up. Either a P5 payday, or a locked in home game.

Griz23
September 15th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I don’t understand the human condition but I do know that people can be very bitter to one another over insignificant events. I have no idea why UND and NDSU act like third graders poking each other with sticks but suffice it to say that if this game were played every year in due course it would turn back into a great rivalry game that everyone in the state would look forward to. Sooner or later all the haters will die off and those remaining will wonder what all the fuss was about.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I don't think it becomes an every year until they are in the same conference (which I think could eventually happen). Had USD gone to the Big Sky the SDSU/USD football game would have happened, and it would have happened fairly regularly. Just not every year. Basketball is a different story. There is more breathing room in scheduling. In FB, if you lock in a non-conference rivalry game you have to give something up. Either a P5 payday, or a locked in home game.

Bingo....

344Johnson
September 15th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I don’t understand the human condition but I do know that people can be very bitter to one another over insignificant events. I have no idea why UND and NDSU act like third graders poking each other with sticks but suffice it to say that if this game were played every year in due course it would turn back into a great rivalry game that everyone in the state would look forward to. Sooner or later all the haters will die off and those remaining will wonder what all the fuss was about.

If it became annual I think it would get nasty again. So it would probably breed additional generations of haters.

We'll see how it goes. I'll be at the tailgating lot for a few hours to people watch.

Bison56
September 15th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Lol

Herder
September 15th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Bubba is likable guy, and did what he needed to do to build at UND to bring more relevance to their program. He needs UND to be viewed in the same light as NDSU (like they used to be). The only way to do that quickly is to begin winning, and to take the game on the field with NDSU. part of that is accomplished with this game. If NDSU wins, the 4 year gap between the next game doesn't help UND.

nel360
September 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Yes but the homecoming games the last 3 years did the same thing. Wait till this year UNI is our homecoming game it will sell out just as fast!

Not a rivalry?

gregatim
September 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Ding ding ding ding ding...we have a winner.

I was not in favor of scheduling this game and I'm sure as hell not in favor of scheduling this game more frequently at the expense of playing FBS teams or giving up home games. There was no need to schedule this game and if I were king for a day I would have made a decree that NDSU shall not play UND again in football until UND earns the right to do so in the playoffs. Is that being spiteful? Hell yeah! But you also risk of legitimizing UND football sooner rather than later, if God forbid, UND were to win. There's your bone UND guys, this game worries me, hell, they all worry me one way or another. NDSU climbed to the top of the mountain of which UND is very near the bottom, making progress, yes, but still in the lower tier of FCS IMO. Why in the hell would anyone give their most hated and bitter rival a gun and bullets to shoot at you and potentially knock you off the top that has done nothing but mocked you and belittled you and all that you've accomplished since the day you announced you were going to attempt to climb the mountain? You want to play NDSU UND? Fine, qualify for the playoffs, you'll get your regional matchup. And I can damn well guarantee you if the situation were reversed, there is no way NDSU would be on UND's schedule. No way. And those of you NDSU fans happy and excited for this game, do you really want to keep scheduling UND even if it means forgoing an FBS game or losing a home game? I'm sorry, I just don't follow the logic of those that think scheduling this game was a good idea. It's a step backwards towards the DII days, with all the success we've enjoyed since the move to DI, why are we looking back instead of staying on the blueprint and path that has enjoyed more success in a short period of time than any of us could have imagined?

semobison
September 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Quote of the day!.... "Fortunately the people on these forums are not a true representation of the fanbases"!!.... My teammate and best buddy in HS played defensive tackle for UND in the early 80's. He lives in Indiana now and has rooted for the Bison in all of our natty's. Why?? Because he is a North Dakota boy with class and some common sense! I don't hate UND I just don't like some of their fans!

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I remember when NDSU first went DI. The motto of the fans, and unofficially of the team, was that they would play anyone, anywhere, anytime. After listening to all of the Bison fans moan about this game being scheduled...it appears that motto applies to any school other than UND. Not sure what you're exactly afraid of? If you are the superior team and we are a lowly team, then you should easily dispatch of us on Saturday. If not, then maybe were not as bad as you think...or your not as good as you think. Either way, I think that's what Bison fans are worried about, the reality that they won't be the king of FCS forever. Looking forward to this game as a measuring stick for our program. I would like to think our defense is getting to where it needs to be...Saturday will be the test to see if it's true.

Bisonoline
September 15th, 2015, 04:30 PM

The hate was huge back in the day so nothing has really changed. Iowa vs Iowa State is no different and UNI hates both of them. LOL

Bisonoline
September 15th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I remember when NDSU first went DI. The motto of the fans, and unofficially of the team, was that they would play anyone, anywhere, anytime. After listening to all of the Bison fans moan about this game being scheduled...it appears that motto applies to any school other than UND. Not sure what you're exactly afraid of? If you are the superior team and we are a lowly team, then you should easily dispatch of us on Saturday. If not, then maybe were not as bad as you think...or your not as good as you think. Either way, I think that's what Bison fans are worried about, the reality that they won't be the king of FCS forever. Looking forward to this game as a measuring stick for our program. I would like to think our defense is getting to where it needs to be...Saturday will be the test to see if it's true.

Oh come on. You know very well it has nothing to do with being afraid to play you. But has everything to do with you stopping the rivalry at the 11th hour when we needed games to fill our schedule when we moved up as an independent.

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 04:45 PM

I was not in favor of scheduling this game and I'm sure as hell not in favor of scheduling this game more frequently at the expense of playing FBS teams or giving up home games. There was no need to schedule this game and if I were king for a day I would have made a decree that NDSU shall not play UND again in football until UND earns the right to do so in the playoffs. Is that being spiteful? Hell yeah! But you also risk of legitimizing UND football sooner rather than later, if God forbid, UND were to win. There's your bone UND guys, this game worries me, hell, they all worry me one way or another. NDSU climbed to the top of the mountain of which UND is very near the bottom, making progress, yes, but still in the lower tier of FCS IMO. Why in the hell would anyone give their most hated and bitter rival a gun and bullets to shoot at you and potentially knock you off the top that has done nothing but mocked you and belittled you and all that you've accomplished since the day you announced you were going to attempt to climb the mountain? You want to play NDSU UND? Fine, qualify for the playoffs, you'll get your regional matchup. And I can damn well guarantee you if the situation were reversed, there is no way NDSU would be on UND's schedule. No way. And those of you NDSU fans happy and excited for this game, do you really want to keep scheduling UND even if it means forgoing an FBS game or losing a home game? I'm sorry, I just don't follow the logic of those that think scheduling this game was a good idea. It's a step backwards towards the DII days, with all the success we've enjoyed since the move to DI, why are we looking back instead of staying on the blueprint and path that has enjoyed more success in a short period of time than any of us could have imagined?

Oh come on. You know very well it has nothing to do with being afraid to play you. But has everything to do with you stopping the rivalry at the 11th hour when we needed games to fill our schedule when we moved up as an independent.

Oh do I??? Apparently this guy has another reason as to why he doesn't want to play us. The way all of the Bison fans are complaining about this game being scheduled, he may not be the only one with the same thoughts...

Bisonoline
September 15th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Oh do I??? Apparently this guy has another reason as to why he doesn't want to play us. The way all of the Bison fans are complaining about this game being scheduled, he may not be the only one with the same thoughts...

I forgot to add the fact that you came with your hat in hand and have been begging to schedule this game. We were sticking it to you by not playing you and scheduling other teams. mANY OF THE EXCUSES ARE ENTERTAINING of which you posted.. Facts are facts and shouldnt be confused with emotion.

All of the Bison fans are complaining about this game? I have been a proponent of playing this game since day one. Generalizations dont serve you well.

goyotes
September 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM
In the rare chance that UND pulls off the huge upset, what are the chances that it is less than a four year wait until the next time they play?

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 05:17 PM
In the rare chance that UND pulls off the huge upset, what are the chances that it is less than a four year wait until the next time they play?

If that happens I think NDSU would be smart to take their ball and go home. Let there be a perceived advantage if not a real one. That's pretty much what Iowa and Iowa State did to UNI in basketball.

frozennorth
September 15th, 2015, 05:43 PM

UND is not entitled to play NDSU.

Nodak78
September 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM
NDSU is 30 point favorite. NDSU will not score 30 points.

centennial
September 15th, 2015, 06:01 PM
We might not, but beating the current worst team in the FBS and then the performance you gave last week, what makes you think this will happen?

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 06:11 PM
It would be hard to turn down a wager that NDSU would not score 30 points. (THIS IS NOT A BET)

jacksfan29
September 15th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Do UND fans really believe your defense is that good? I'm wondering what that is based on? Wyoming? Drake? Last year? Traditionally BSC defenses (that don't claim Missoula as home) are pretty sad. I'm seriously wondering what is behind the confidence that you will shut down NDSU, which has a pretty good offense.

Thumper 76
September 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM

They haven't scored under 30 yet. Seriously wondering where you are getting that confidence from.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM
They have been held under thirty 6 times in the last 18 games, with one of those being 29.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udygefkLvjU

This needs to be here.....ahhhhhh the memories! :D

Thanks Tatanka.

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I don't know if we will hold them to under thirty or not. I do know that if we want to win or keep it close with a chance to win, we will need to keep them under thirty. UND's defense is improving, and our run defense is pretty good. However, if our offense performs like last week, the defense will eventually wear down and things good get out of hand.

mgbison
September 15th, 2015, 07:00 PM
UNDs defense is pretty good. However, they sellout to stop the run and if you are gonna score a lot, you have to pass the ball. Bubba and Lennon teams have always had good defenses (SIU), but there offenses are horse****. If NDSU can score 10 points, NDSU wins.

Also, its similar to SIU's defense, only less athletic.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I don't know if we will hold them to under thirty or not. I do know that if we want to win or keep it close with a chance to win, we will need to keep them under thirty. UND's defense is improving, and our run defense is pretty good. However, if our offense performs like last week, the defense will eventually wear down and things good get out of hand.
If you want to win, don't let them score, and then you guys score. :D

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Brilliant idea! I will get that game plan to Bubba pronto. Please delete your post so no Bison fans see it and give a heads up to Klieman...😝

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2015, 07:11 PM
They haven't scored under 30 yet. Seriously wondering where you are getting that confidence from.

UND will sell out to stop the run. IMO, Carson could have a huge day running the ball if they do that.

Bison 35-10

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 07:12 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpQnlnbsZny24iA/giphy.gif

IBleedYellow
September 15th, 2015, 07:12 PM
It would be hard to turn down a wager that NDSU would not score 30 points. (THIS IS NOT A BET)

DID SOMEONE SAY BET?!?!!

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Do you also remember UND's brass stating they would no longer scheduling NDSU back in 2004? Yeah didn't think so. You can blame your administration for ending a once great rivalry!

F'N Hawks
September 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Do you also remember UND's brass stating they would no longer scheduling NDSU back in 2004? Yeah didn't think so. You can blame your administration for ending a once great rivalry!

Please quit bringing that up. Good lord. It's been 12 f#cking years.

dmksioux
September 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Yes, I do remember that and couldn't disagree anymore with their opinion. I understand the reasoning with the DII rules for playing a DI teM and why it wasn't in our best interest, but even then, I wanted the game to continue. Unfortunately UND had some short sighted administrators making the decisions at that time. This game never should've stopped and UND is a big part of why it did which is why I'm fine with playing the first two games in Fargo. I just wish there were a way the game could be played on a more regular basis.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 07:39 PM
DID SOMEONE SAY BET?!?!!

No, no one said bet. I bet you no one thinks that I said bet was a bet. Poll please, ursus. xlolx

Also, bet.

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 15th, 2015, 07:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udygefkLvjU

This needs to be here.....ahhhhhh the memories! :D

Thanks Tatanka.
That was so true and GREAT!!!

TennBison
September 15th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Exactly. It's called a heated rivalry for a reason. Do people really think its any worse than Bama/Auburn, Oregon/OSU, Montana/MSU etc? The game sparks interest in the casual fan, as well as the fans that have been around for 30-40+years. There's a reason the media hypes it a bit, because more people across the state are paying attention to it. Is it UND's Super Bowl, who cares if it is or isn't. In my family, there are people who are Bison grads/fans and some who are UND fans/grads...my cousin is actually married to one of the NDSU strength coaches. I can't wait to rub it in when UND wins on Saturday! ;-)
What other sporting events does UND have going on this Saturday, I thought this was going to be about the football game.

TennBison
September 15th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Actually, the worst thing that could happen to prevent this from becoming a annual or semi annual game would be UND getting blown out. So the best scenario for the Bison fans who don't care about putting UND on the schedule any more or ever in the first place would be an a$$ beating these next two years. The powers that be would more than likely not bring it up for a while as UND would be deemed not worthy of any hype put into getting the game going. UND has their backs up against the wall on this one in my mind, at the very least they need to make it close or they risk looking like fools.

Nodak78
September 15th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Do UND fans really believe your defense is that good? I'm wondering what that is based on? Wyoming? Drake? Last year? Traditionally BSC defenses (that don't claim Missoula as home) are pretty sad. I'm seriously wondering what is behind the confidence that you will shut down NDSU, which has a pretty good offense.

Last year we had the best rush defense in the Big Sky. UND held Montana to less rushing than NDSU did last year. UND was 5th in the nation in rush defense. our front seven have all returned except 1 starter and 1 reserves. UND added depth to the DL and much more depth to the secondary which was a real weakness last year.
It may not be enough to win the game because NDSU probably has the best offense in the nation. it will be an interesting match up.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Please quit bringing that up. Good lord. It's been 12 f#cking years.

Despite win, NDSU football still sucks

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik T. Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking **** about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

Memories.......... :)

biggame
September 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
NDSU and UND fans are like a bunch of women... they don't forget anything, and make certain you don't forget it either.

Hammerhead
September 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM
My only exposure to Sioux fans was in the early 90s when I was a teacher in Ralph Englestad's hometown where most people were Sioux fans and it was all friendly banter.

IBleedYellow
September 15th, 2015, 08:45 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21330&stc=1

I wish all of my terrible decisions turned out this well.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Memories.......... :)

Your killing it! xlolx

xoutofrepx

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 09:06 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21330&stc=1

I wish all of my terrible decisions turned out this well.
Wait, when did you guys win those? :)

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Your killing it! xlolx

xoutofrepx

It's amazing.....

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400795511

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd scene. :D

goyotes
September 15th, 2015, 09:19 PM

Actually the secret to winning is not losing.

https://vine.co/v/OK5TtYVmZ7b

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2015, 09:29 PM

gotta focus on the positive. ;)

KPSUL
September 15th, 2015, 09:31 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21331&stc=1

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2015, 09:32 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/FPt4fI9BvUOXu/giphy.gif

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2015, 09:56 PM

Nailed it.

bisoninloveland
September 16th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I second that!.....nailed it!

Yote 53
September 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM

I hear you on that. I look at it another way though. If you lock in an annual home/home with UND, an OOC border state team, a school that is a long time rival that is a game of interest and that will pack the house. That is one less quality game you need to worry about scheduling each year. For example, instead of playing Drake this year USD's OOC schedule would have been K-State, UC-Davis, and UND. I'd take that type of schedule every season, MVFC conference slate (4 home games), FBS, UND, and OOC FCS. The only thing the AD has to do is schedule home and home contracts with another FCS school that coordinates with the UND home/home series.

That's just my biased opinion having been apart of and witnessing a lot of great games with UND over the years. I think it only makes sense to play them as often as possible. I understand if Jack and Bison fans have differing opinions though and I see their points.

Yote 53
September 16th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I just wish there were a way the game could be played on a more regular basis.

Simple. Join the MVFC and it would happen every year. At least make some overtures of interest to the conference and to the Summit that you would be interested in moving out of the Big Sky and coming back to a Midwest based conference. Doesn't have to be public. You might be surprised at what happens.

All indications are that you are happy with where you are at, sooooo, don't know what to say about that. Your call.

UNDColorado
September 16th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Simple. Join the MVFC and it would happen every year. At least make some overtures of interest to the conference and to the Summit that you would be interested in moving out of the Big Sky and coming back to a Midwest based conference. Doesn't have to be public. You might be surprised at what happens.

All indications are that you are happy with where you are at, sooooo, don't know what to say about that. Your call.

If a MVFC invite was also on the table I would be happy to entertain it.

That aside I am looking forward to the game on Saturday.

jacksfan29
September 16th, 2015, 09:41 AM

I hear you on that. I look at it another way though. If you lock in an annual home/home with UND, an OOC border state team, a school that is a long time rival that is a game of interest and that will pack the house. That is one less quality game you need to worry about scheduling each year. For example, instead of playing Drake this year USD's OOC schedule would have been K-State, UC-Davis, and UND. I'd take that type of schedule every season, MVFC conference slate (4 home games), FBS, UND, and OOC FCS. The only thing the AD has to do is schedule home and home contracts with another FCS school that coordinates with the UND home/home series.

That's just my biased opinion having been apart of and witnessing a lot of great games with UND over the years. I think it only makes sense to play them as often as possible. I understand if Jack and Bison fans have differing opinions though and I see their points.

The problem is that every other year NDSU (who do sell out their stadium and make money on ticket sales) would have to give up that ticket revenue to UND by playing in Grand Forks. In FCS, where revenues are an issue non-conference scheduling, for a school like NDSU must take into account the money factor.

As for SDSU. Pretty sure we are the only "Dakota" school that has played them in FB multiple times (including a game in GF) since they moved up. I'm also pretty sure we have played them in BB every year since they moved up. I may not be a fan of how UND handled themselves during the SDSU/NDSU move up but it seems like the SDSU athletic department has reached out to them more than the other two schools in the area. Why USD hasn't, I don't know. Maybe there are hard feelings on the UND side. I'm not privy to those discussions.

UNDColorado
September 16th, 2015, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Yote 53;2251840]

The problem is that every other year NDSU (who do sell out their stadium and make money on ticket sales) would have to give up that ticket revenue to UND by playing in Grand Forks. In FCS, where revenues are an issue non-conference scheduling, for a school like NDSU must take into account the money factor.

As for SDSU. Pretty sure we are the only "Dakota" school that has played them in FB multiple times (including a game in GF) since they moved up. I'm also pretty sure we have played them in BB every year since they moved up. I may not be a fan of how UND handled themselves during the SDSU/NDSU move up but it seems like the SDSU athletic department has reached out to them more than the other two schools in the area. Why USD hasn't, I don't know. Maybe there are hard feelings on the UND side. I'm not privy to those discussions.

For the most part you are correct. We do have a home and home with USD in football that starts next season. That is 2016 so not exactly the same as SDSU playing us in 2010.

gotts
September 16th, 2015, 09:48 AM

I agree. NDSU is probably only 11 points better than Drake, and that's on a good day.

/sarcasm

jacksfan29
September 16th, 2015, 09:51 AM
If a MVFC invite was also on the table I would be happy to entertain it.

That aside I am looking forward to the game on Saturday.

I don't think it is on the table, and I don't think it ever was. Until one of the eastern schools (see YSU) decide to move on there won't be an opening in the MVFC. It may take two schools to move on before an opening occurs. Patty and the school Presidents don't look at the conference the way Foolerton does. The MVFC is very stable and we don't need to bring in 50 schools to ensure our survival. It was difficult enough getting USD approved. To tell the schools out east that they now need to go to Grand Forks is a non-starter.

Many of the MVC schools are still basketball schools first. Football is important, but the FB budget and the MVFC takes a backseat to the basketball budget and the MVC. I'm likely wrong, but I think the only way UND ends up in a conference with the SDSU/NDSU/USD (UNI?) is if there is a new upper Midwest/western conference built that includes a few G5 schools, the two like minded Montana schools and maybe a couple other BSC schools who can fund the additional scholarships.

Yote 53
September 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=jacksfan29;2251848]

For the most part you are correct. We do have a home and home with USD in football that starts next season. That is 2016 so not exactly the same as SDSU playing us in 2010.

There is no animosity on USD's part toward UND. Can't say the same for UND with how the Big Sky conference invites went down. I suspect they were pissed at USD when we went to the MVFC instead. Up until 2012 we were still playing UND in the Great West, so not sure about the 2010 thing. Just seems starting in 2013 we just both had other things lined up. It's only been 3 years, but feels like forever.

Yote 53
September 16th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Agree with you Jacksfan29. I was just saying it wouldn't hurt for UND to keep an open dialogue with the MVFC and Summit. Doesn't have to be public. I'm not even sure the BSC would care. Is UND still free to leave that conference and pay no penalty?

UNDColorado
September 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=UNDColorado;2251850]

There is no animosity on USD's part toward UND. Can't say the same for UND with how the Big Sky conference invites went down. I suspect they were pissed at USD when we went to the MVFC instead. Up until 2012 we were still playing UND in the Great West, so not sure about the 2010 thing. Just seems starting in 2013 we just both had other things lined up. It's only been 3 years, but feels like forever.

That wasnt a jab. I am happy USD is back on the football schedule. SDSU was the first school to play us non conference from the Dakota schools back in 2010. No animosity here.

UNDColorado
September 16th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I don't think it is on the table, and I don't think it ever was. Until one of the eastern schools (see YSU) decide to move on there won't be an opening in the MVFC. It may take two schools to move on before an opening occurs. Patty and the school Presidents don't look at the conference the way Foolerton does. The MVFC is very stable and we don't need to bring in 50 schools to ensure our survival. It was difficult enough getting USD approved. To tell the schools out east that they now need to go to Grand Forks is a non-starter.

Many of the MVC schools are still basketball schools first. Football is important, but the FB budget and the MVFC takes a backseat to the basketball budget and the MVC. I'm likely wrong, but I think the only way UND ends up in a conference with the SDSU/NDSU/USD (UNI?) is if there is a new upper Midwest/western conference built that includes a few G5 schools, the two like minded Montana schools and maybe a couple other BSC schools who can fund the additional scholarships.

Agreed. It is definitely not on the table for the above reasons you pointed out. If there is some movement I would be happy to see UND entertaining this.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Better chance of NDSU scoring 30 then UND scoring 20.

Bison 35-10

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I don't think UND's defense is as good as Montana, and neither is their offense. The intensity may keep the score down for NDSU and a little higher for UND. NDSU 34, UND 21

BisonFan02
September 16th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Agreed. It is definitely not on the table for the above reasons you pointed out. If there is some movement I would be happy to see UND entertaining this.

You guys could always just be like fellow hockey mates UNO and Denver...drop football and join the Summit for all sports. :D

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Quote of the day!.... "Fortunately the people on these forums are not a true representation of the fanbases"!!.... My teammate and best buddy in HS played defensive tackle for UND in the early 80's. He lives in Indiana now and has rooted for the Bison in all of our natty's. Why?? Because he is a North Dakota boy with class and some common sense! I don't hate UND I just don't like some of their fans!

Ironic. You call someone else's post "quote of the day" when your own post is actually the winner. The Brawl of the Wild is about as heated as any FCS rivalry. Both fanbases have their share of asshats, much like I'm sure NDSU and UND have. I hate the Griz for most of the year, and even though I grew up in ND, I was pulling for the Griz to beat NDSU because they are a MT team and conference mate (and I'll admit, I want the Bison reign of terror to end). Come playoffs, I even root for the Griz. Even though they are a hated rival, at the end of the day, the fans are still fellow Montanans and other than some good natured smack talking, I have no hatred for the school, team or its fans.

BisonTru
September 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Ironic. You call someone else's post "quote of the day" when your own post is actually the winner. The Brawl of the Wild is about as heated as any FCS rivalry. Both fanbases have their share of asshats, much like I'm sure NDSU and UND have. I hate the Griz for most of the year, and even though I grew up in ND, I was pulling for the Griz to beat NDSU because they are a MT team and conference mate (and I'll admit, I want the Bison reign of terror to end). Come playoffs, I even root for the Griz. Even though they are a hated rival, at the end of the day, the fans are still fellow Montanans and other than some good natured smack talking, I have no hatred for the school, team or its fans.

That's a big one for me. I will root for SDSU, USD, UNI before UND. Not because of hatred, but because I want our conference to represent well.

Honestly, I usually always root against UND. Why? Because if UND becomes more successful they will steal recruits from the other Dakota schools. I want the pecking order to remain NDSU, SDSU, USD, then UND.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Well I was looking forward to the game and now I must go to my grandfather's funeral. I want to hear that the Bison won big. I'm just hoped there is football again and with hockey season around the corner, it couldn't get much better.

UNDColorado
September 16th, 2015, 12:47 PM
You guys could always just be like fellow hockey mates UNO and Denver...drop football and join the Summit for all sports. :D

Haha no thanks. I am also a hockey fan but I would never be in favor of dropping football to support hockey, or any other sport for that matter.

Darlinikki150
September 17th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Hey Bitches, I'm back! I'm going with NDSU 27-10. However I am also going with 146 chants of Sioux Suck **** through the game that will annoy everyone but the students cause they will be drunk starting/ending the chant.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Hey Bitches, I'm back! I'm going with NDSU 27-10. However I am also going with 146 chants of Sioux Suck **** through the game that will annoy everyone but the students cause they will be drunk starting/ending the chant.

Good to see ya back. Where have you been hiding????

Darlinikki150
September 17th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Trying to stay "good". Just busy with life, you know how it goes. Changing jobs, buying a house etc etc etc. It's good to be back, did I miss anything life altering on my leave?

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Trying to stay "good". Just busy with life, you know how it goes. Changing jobs, buying a house etc etc etc. It's good to be back, did I miss anything life altering on my leave?

yes

Grizalltheway
September 17th, 2015, 02:40 PM

There was a little upset back on August 29th...:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Wonder if the intro will be the same or if they'll have some old highlights from previous games added in?

gregatim
September 17th, 2015, 03:24 PM

While we Bison fans appreciate the sentiment of calling it an upset, I'd give your squad a little more credit and say Montana got its groove back on August 29th xpeacex

Darlinikki150
September 17th, 2015, 03:47 PM

Oh I watched the game, I meant did I miss anything life altering on AGS? Cmon man!

dewey
September 17th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Oh I watched the game, I meant did I miss anything life altering on AGS? Cmon man!

BisonFan02 won a bet with Darrell, who has been MIA for a long time, and Darrell has an awesome new avatar.

Dewey

Grizalltheway
September 17th, 2015, 05:51 PM
BisonFan02 won a bet with Darrell, who has been MIA for a long time, and Darrell has an awesome new avatar.

Dewey

I guess I missed that too, what was the bet?

dewey
September 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Here is a link to the bet.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?154671-2014-2015-Avatar-wager-UND-Nickname

Go Bison!

Dewey

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Was it actually a bet? :D

bobcathpdevil56
September 17th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Speaking of missing people, has anyone put MPLSbison on a milk carton yet?

Bisonator
September 17th, 2015, 07:28 PM

Yeah I would have thought he would be back this week since his favorite team is playing the Bison again. xlolx

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Was it actually a bet? :D

**** yeah it was! :D xlolx

344Johnson
September 17th, 2015, 08:14 PM

Don't they normally only do that when someone wants said missing person found?

bobcathpdevil56
September 17th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Don't they normally only do that when someone wants said missing person found?

He was always good for a few laughs.

Professor Chaos
September 17th, 2015, 09:37 PM
NDSU is playing UND and SDSU is installing field turf. His work here is therefore done so he has returned to his home planet.

SDFS
September 17th, 2015, 10:14 PM
NDSU is playing UND and SDSU is installing field turf. His work here is therefore done so he has returned to his home planet.

That does not explain - Lakes, JBB or DaveK - I thought that they would all be back this week for the big game.

Bisonwinagn
September 17th, 2015, 10:22 PM
I'm still not convinced NDSU can pass the ball consistently when they have to and are facing a strong run defense. This game reminds me of UNI last year and the Bison failed miserable against that defense. Teams can pass on UND, but can NDSU? I guess we will see. I think it will be close until the end with the Bison winning 21-13. I also think UND will be ten times more excited about this game so NDSU better come to play or they will get punched in the mouth early.

Bisonoline
September 17th, 2015, 10:28 PM
That does not explain - Lakes, JBB or DaveK - I thought that they would all be back this week for the big game.

Lakes is on diaper mode on a couple of venues. Plus he hates UND and wont recognize that this game is actually being played. Believe it or not he got married and had a kid. Which I am told has settled him down somewhat. But he does have his moments.

JBB is still out their somewhere. I think he visits the same place mpls is at.

Davek has been keeping a low profile. He said if they get rid of the sioux nickname he would dis own them. He may actually be a man of his word. LOL

SDFS
September 17th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I'm still not convinced NDSU can pass the ball consistently when they have to and are facing a strong run defense. This game reminds me of UNI last year and the Bison failed miserable against that defense. Teams can pass on UND, but can NDSU? I guess we will see. I think it will be close until the end with the Bison winning 21-13. I also think UND will be ten times more excited about this game so NDSU better come to play or they will get punched in the mouth early.

I think it all come down to the UND running game. If UND can do anything on with the ground game this week than I think it will be interesting. But, if the team to the south (tTttS) shuts down the running game it's over. I don't see UND staying with tTttS.

BisonTru
September 17th, 2015, 10:41 PM

Wentz has had two bad performances. UNI and the second half of Montana. He was banged up for both of those. If he's healthy we are just fine. And if he's not, please play Stick.

344Johnson
September 17th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Wentz has had two bad performances. UNI and the second half of Montana. He was banged up for both of those. If he's healthy we are just fine. And if he's not, please play Stick.

Don't think he did well at WIU either.

I'm really completely sick of people pretending Wentz is some Demigod. Good football player... Yes. But NDSU lost those games... Especially the UNI one... Because they got blown the **** up on line of scrimmage when it mattered.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2015, 12:00 AM

I'm really completely sick of people pretending Wentz is some Demigod. Good football player... Yes. But NDSU lost those games... Especially the UNI one... Because they got blown the **** up on line of scrimmage when it mattered.

Riddle me this....WTF does Wentz (my supposed Demigod) have to do with the lineof scrimmage getting "blown up". Wentz is the top QB prospect in the history of NDSU...end of story.

mgbison
September 18th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Plus, in the UNI game, Wentz missed some wide open throw to Vraa that would've made the game interesting. By missed, I mean a pass even Mitch Leidner could complete.

dewey
September 18th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Plus, in the UNI game, Wentz missed some wide open throw to Vraa that would've made the game interesting. By missed, I mean a pass even Mitch Leidner could complete.

If I remember correctly they were back to back throws and one of them would have went for 6. Wentz seems to have accuracy problems with the long ball...typically overthrowing recievers.

It will be interesting to see if UND tries to blitz on 3rd downs and risk getting burned like Weber State did with the screen pass to Morlock or if they try to play coverage. Weber State seemed to blitz every 3rd down until they got burned with the screens. If UND can mix it up and not make it to obvious what they are doing then I think they can slow NDSU down a little bit. Hopefully the NDSU play calling is more like last week where they came out pounding the ball and sprinkled in some short throws and QB runs to consistently move the chains early.

I think UND will have a tough time running the ball against NDSU especially if they try to go between the tackles as Tanguay, Schaetz and DeLuca will take care of that. Dom Izzo said UND'S top receiver is out for the game so they have virtually no deep threat. UND has got to be able to find a way to run the ball if they want to win this game unless they have stud recievers like Montana has.

In the end I think NDSU rolls this week.
NDSU Bison 31
UND Whioux 10

I am surprised there is no Darrell or is he just waiting for a win to show up?

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Everyone bow down....THE elite FCS mind has spoken.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2015, 05:56 AM
If I remember correctly they were back to back throws and one of them would have went for 6. Wentz seems to have accuracy problems with the long ball...typically overthrowing recievers.

It will be interesting to see if UND tries to blitz on 3rd downs and risk getting burned like Weber State did with the screen pass to Morlock or if they try to play coverage. Weber State seemed to blitz every 3rd down until they got burned with the screens. If UND can mix it up and not make it to obvious what they are doing then I think they can slow NDSU down a little bit. Hopefully the NDSU play calling is more like last week where they came out pounding the ball and sprinkled in some short throws and QB runs to consistently move the chains early.

I think UND will have a tough time running the ball against NDSU especially if they try to go between the tackles as Tanguay, Schaetz and DeLuca will take care of that. Dom Izzo said UND'S top receiver is out for the game so they have virtually no deep threat. UND has got to be able to find a way to run the ball if they want to win this game unless they have stud recievers like Montana has.

In the end I think NDSU rolls this week.
NDSU Bison 31
UND Whioux 10

I am surprised there is no Darrell or is he just waiting for a win to show up?

Dewey

Pretty accurate assessment.

If the Bison have a good pass rush and disrupt Studsrud, then UND will have a tough time.

IMO, UND will sell out to try and stop the run. Run blitzes will be the norm tomorrow. Weber blitzed a lot and we'll see even more tomorrow.

The Bison short passing game needs to be efficient. Screens should work effectively against this defense.

Hambone
September 18th, 2015, 08:08 AM
My guess is that the UND defense will play strong early, but the running game will struggle but Studsrud will have some success throwing the ball in the first half and it will be close. Second half the defense wears down and Wentz starts picking them apart and you're left with a 31-13 Bison win. Hope I'm wrong :)

dewey
September 18th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Here is a link to an article from the Fargo Forum discussing the UND run defense versus the NDSU run game.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3841701-its-strength-vs-strength-when-bison-try-run-against-und

Here is a Bison Media Blog post about how to attack the 3-4 defense.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/attack-the-3-4-mr-football-returns-for-refresher-course/

Dewey

Darlinikki150
September 18th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I was at that UNI game, it was brutal to watch. prob the worst game Wentz has played, along with many others. With that said, I think if he can make better decisions about scrammbling and giving up on a play with a blitz in his face he should be ok. Sometimes he just doesn't cut his loses and he ends up paying for it.

Drblankstare
September 18th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Here's what I know will happen Sat. I will have Irish Coffee and I will have Jalapeno Popper dip at tailgating.

And that's whats really important:D

Bisonator
September 18th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I expect the first quarter to be a slug fest with both teams trying to pound the ball. I just don't think either team will find much success until they start hitting some passes. I think NDSU is much more capable of that then UND. I think NDSU's TE's have a big impact this week. They have been quiet so far this year. Look for a few seam routes to open up.

dewey
September 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Here is an article from the Grand Forks Herald talking about the location of the Nickel trophy and a little bit of the history. The stories of the opposing team stealing it before the games are pretty dang awesome.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3841622-nickel-trophy-leaves-behind-priceless-legacy-and-its-whereabouts-remains-big-secret

Here is a little history of the Nickel trophy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy

It will be nice to see NDSU beat down UND tomorrow afternoon.

Dewey

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Awesome story about the thefts. Can't wait to watch this game.

BisonTru
September 18th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Re-watched the SDSU game this afternoon. Here's a few highlights of Carson's deep ball accuracy issues.

Wish I knew how to make a highlight reel, but here are some deep throws in the video:
0:12:20
0:13:40
0:24:00
1:15:00
1:33:00
1:45:00
2:09:30
2:15:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iBztCZUKO8

Full Disclosure: I'm in the CW cult. I'm a believer. I have been brainwashed into the thought ginger jesus is a damn good QB.

Southern Bison
September 18th, 2015, 02:46 PM
ND4E disappeared after the Montana game...dreams really do come true!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Southern Bison
September 18th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Awesome story about the thefts. Can't wait to watch this game.
Those pansies at UN_ hide the nickel...for 12 years.

Weak ass BS.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dakotadan
September 18th, 2015, 02:57 PM
My guess is that the UND defense will play strong early, but the running game will struggle but Studsrud will have some success throwing the ball in the first half and it will be close. Second half the defense wears down and Wentz starts picking them apart and you're left with a 31-13 Bison win. Hope I'm wrong :)
I have a feeling that you are spot on. I was in Laramie and watched a UND team that has a lot of potential on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, this is a very young team that is lacking much depth. Both teams are going to come in wanting to play smash mouth football. Have to say I expect the Bizon to ultimately wear us down. It is going to take more than one or two seasons to crawl out of the hole the previous staff dug for us.

But I have lots of friends and family on each side of the front line. So it has already been a fun week.

Go Roughriders!

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2015, 03:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zuSwBleyE

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Cannot wait for this game. Been up since 4 am. Got my workout in and had the "theme" song Thunderstruck blaring full blast!!!!!!

dewey
September 19th, 2015, 09:26 AM
We got the tailgating all set up and ready to go for today.

Go Bison Siouxage suck!

Dewey

Grizzlies82
September 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Here is an article from the Grand Forks Herald talking about the location of the Nickel trophy and a little bit of the history. The stories of the opposing team stealing it before the games are pretty dang awesome.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3841622-nickel-trophy-leaves-behind-priceless-legacy-and-its-whereabouts-remains-big-secret

Here is a little history of the Nickel trophy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy

It will be nice to see NDSU beat down UND tomorrow afternoon.

Dewey

I see the newspaper has documented the rampant criminal behavior throughout North Dakota.
As I'm only a little more than 200 miles from the state line, after reading that article I've locked the doors to my house!

biggame
September 20th, 2015, 10:02 AM
No Shocker, but NDSU is still a much better football team than UND. It's going to be a long year for the defense at UND if the offense can't at least start to get a few first downs in order to make opponents drive the field.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 20th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Post game thoughts:

Special teams play needs to get better. Coach K hinted CJ might be the option in the return game.
Defense did a very good job yesterday. The young S are getting better. Tanguay was a beast yesterday. Lbs were solid.
I still do not like the RB by committee thing. Frazier needs more carriers. He could be a 100 yard back every game.

UNDs front 7 on defense are good but need help in the secondary.
Bubba needs a couple of more years.

No_Skill
September 20th, 2015, 11:10 AM
The game didn't come close to living up to the "rivalry" hype. The crowd was loud, but not as loud as expected. The students did the sioux suck chant, but it was super weak. I expected the entire crowd to be chanting it in unison all game, but that didn't happen. I think this game did more to prove that we have moved on from them than it did to renew the rivalry. I actually felt pity toward them during the game.

SUPharmacist
September 20th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Bison fan in NW MN, I am with you and despise the RB by committee. It seems to result in no back being fully comfortable or getting in to a rhythm. Multiple times I saw King do a double take at the sideline, when he wanted to stay in and was getting rotated out. Hope this decreases in conference play. As far as the rivalry these teams are too far apart for that right now. Until UND gets a good run of playoff appearances, or they end up in the same conference it will not be a rivalry. I am curious to see the atmosphere for the next game, if things don't change it could be a real dud. Hopefully UND can keep improving, and NDSU can maintain. I thought UND was onto something with the Wyoming win, but it is starting to look like a fluke against a really bad Wyoming.

Bisonator
September 20th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I agree with both of you guys on the running back situation. I like Frazier and Morlock as the clear 1 and 2. Let those guys get most of the carries thru the first 1/2 to 3/4 and then give Dunn and Anderson some in mop up duty. The constant rotating doesn't work at the RB position IMO.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Well.....glad that's over :D xlolx A few notes:

1) UND's front 7 on D is decent...the secondary has a lot of work to do...which will be a problem for them once they hit conference play.
2) UND's offense....on the other hand...is outright "offensive". That was the lowest amount of yards the Bison have allowed in the DI era...and that includes some pretty ****ty competition.
3) The tailgate was packed....the fans during the game were a slight uptick more intense for a period of time to start the game...but it didn't meet the hype of a rivalry because of how non-competitive the game was. For this to become a rivalry again, it needs to be played every year...which leads to....

4th and final) Patty Viverito from the MVFC was in attendance (not unusual) for the game...seated next to Tom Douple (Summit League commish...not usual)....WTF was Tom Douple doing there for the game and sitting next to Patty? Hmmmmmmmm............. xlolx

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Well.....glad that's over :D xlolx A few notes:

1) UND's front 7 on D is decent...the secondary has a lot of work to do...which will be a problem for them once they hit conference play.
2) UND's offense....on the other hand...is outright "offensive". That was the lowest amount of yards the Bison have allowed in the DI era...and that includes some pretty ****ty competition.
3) The tailgate was packed....the fans during the game were a slight uptick more intense for a period of time to start the game...but it didn't meet the hype of a rivalry because of how non-competitive the game was. For this to become a rivalry again, it needs to be played every year...which leads to....

4th and final) Patty Viverito from the MVFC was in attendance (not unusual) for the game...seated next to Tom Douple (Summit League commish...not usual)....WTF was Tom Douple doing there for the game and sitting next to Patty? Hmmmmmmmm............. xlolx
Don't add to the speculating from Kolpak. UND is not going to go to more competitive MVFC and Summit. They would become the new Missouri State(sorry South Dakota, Missouri State won the race to the bottom).

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Don't add to the speculating from Kolpak. UND is not going to go to more competitive MVFC and Summit. They would become the new Missouri State(sorry South Dakota, Missouri State won the race to the bottom).

Speculating...sure...but it is a fair question. Why was the Summit league commish at a football game?...and why wouldn't UND go to the MVFC/Summit? Why the MVFC would take UND is probably a solid "NO" barring some current members leaving, but Douple sees UND as a travel partner with NDSU and a potential stable member of the Summit (and don't kid yourself....he NEEDS a few of them). If Douple, in order to be able to recruit UND, could find a home for their football......where would he go and how would he sell it? I'm not usually one to bite on speculation, but this is a BIG flag seeing that he attended this game.

centennial
September 20th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Speculating...sure...but it is a fair question. Why was the Summit league commish at a football game?...and why wouldn't UND go to the MVFC/Summit? Why the MVFC would take UND is probably a solid "NO" barring some current members leaving, but Douple sees UND as a travel partner with NDSU and a potential stable member of the Summit (and don't kid yourself....he NEEDS a few of them). If Douple, in order to be able to recruit UND, could find a home for their football......where would he go and how would he sell it? I'm not usually one to bite on speculation, but this is a BIG flag seeing that he attended this game.

You answered it yourself. It is not in MVFC's interest to add another outlier. We would have to lose Missouri State, and Youngstown State before we even consider a new member. The Summit point I agree with. Not only this, there has been no noise from UND about switching. The Summit is also a significant jump(low mid-major) from the Big Sky in basketball. UND will look inept for years before it can compete.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Based on nearly yearly play against Und in other sports, UND would be as competitive in the Summit as they were relative to NCC in 90s. Still very beneficial IMHO for Summit league to become NCC 2.0. Add und & unc.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM
You answered it yourself. It is not in MVFC's interest to add another outlier. We would have to lose Missouri State, and Youngstown State before we even consider a new member. The Summit point I agree with. Not only this, there has been no noise from UND about switching. The Summit is also a significant jump(low mid-major) from the Big Sky in basketball. UND will look inept for years before it can compete.

Look....I don't disagree about the MVFC having no interest in UND at this moment...but that doesn't stop Douple from making the sell job to Patty. Also....Douple is literally looking for "warm bodies" as Summit members....stable ones that fit the footprint as much as possible...competitive be damned.

Like I said......why was Douple there? Has he EVER attended a NDSU football game? I don't remember him ever doing it outside of maybe the Great West days?

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Look....I don't disagree about the MVFC having no interest in UND at this moment...but that doesn't stop Douple from making the sell job to Patty. Also....Douple is literally looking for "warm bodies" as Summit members....stable ones that fit the footprint as much as possible...competitive be damned.

Like I said......why was Douple there? Has he EVER attended a NDSU football game? I don't remember him ever doing it outside of maybe the Great West days?
I'm pretty sure Doug Elgin attends some MVFC games involving MVC programs. They are still "his schools" so why shouldn't he attend them?

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Doug Elgin attends some MVFC games involving MVC programs. They are still "his schools" so why shouldn't he attend them?

Apples/Oranges....Doug Elgin is not Tom Douple. Not saying Douple shouldn't attend football games involving Summit schools....he just hasn't until yesterday (that I know of anyway).

Professor Chaos
September 20th, 2015, 03:29 PM
It would make a ton of sense both for the Summit sponsored sports (basically non-football/hockey) at UND and the Summit League to get UND into the Summit. Problem is UND won't sacrifice a home for their football team to make that move and the Big Sky, for some reason, doesn't want UND as a football only member. I doubt the MVFC will play ball in this scenario but there are 4 MVFC schools that have a major interest in the stability and success of the Summit League so Patty V at least needs to pay Douple and the SL the courtesy of lip service.

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Apples/Oranges....Doug Elgin is not Tom Douple. Not saying Douple shouldn't attend football games involving Summit schools....he just hasn't until yesterday (that I know of anyway).
Apples to apples.

Both are conference commissioners looking to keep their schools happy during a period of great uncertainty for anyone outside of the P5. Both are trying to make sure all members are happy. Both are trying to stay involved in all of the schools.

Douple cares about NDSU being stable because of the Summit needing stability.
Elgin cares about MVFC schools being healthy because if they are healthy they bring stability to the MVC

KUlawJack
September 20th, 2015, 03:36 PM

He was at the SDSU/NDSU regular season game last year.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 03:38 PM

OK. That would change the narrative. I didn't think he had, but this would make sense. Disregard my comments. :D

That being said, I wouldn't have minded being a "fly on the wall" to listen to Tom's/Patty's conversation during the game. xlolx

FargoBison
September 20th, 2015, 05:56 PM

He has been at football games before.

Bisonator
September 20th, 2015, 06:11 PM

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/442/49/3049442.jpeg

IBleedYellow
September 20th, 2015, 06:18 PM
OK. That would change the narrative. I didn't think he had, but this would make sense. Disregard my comments. :D

That being said, I wouldn't have minded being a "fly on the wall" to listen to Tom's/Patty's conversation during the game. xlolx

We almost added this program? Dodged a bullet there!

Twentysix
September 20th, 2015, 06:56 PM
We almost added this program? Dodged a bullet there!

UND & UNC would be good adds to the Summit.... Plus we would be doing the Big Sky a huge favor, they should just take them as football only affiliates.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Word..... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31XawnEmNc&feature=youtu.be&a

BisonBacker
September 20th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Do you know his personal schedule?

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Do you know his personal schedule?

Sure don't....do you? Just saying that I haven't heard...or been made aware of any presence of his at member school football games. Wanna give his office a call for all of us to see what his schedule looks like the next few months? :D

clenz
September 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Sure don't....do you? Just saying that I haven't heard...or been made aware of any presence of his at member school football games. Wanna give his office a call for all of us to see what his schedule looks like the next few months? :D
As I said, he and Elgin are more a like than apples and oranges when it comes to trying to keep all members of their conferences happy, even going to sports that aren't "theirs".

It's almost never know what game, if any Elgin, is at, but he goes to more than people realize. I'd bet the same with Douple. They usually go in a side/athletic department entrance and go straight to the president/directors suite. They'll tour the facilities if something has changed/is planned to see what progress is like, then they'll leave town. Elgin's stops at football games (that I'm aware of) are generally about an hour and a half or two before the game, the game, and maybe two hours after the game.

Having worked for the ticket office at UNI I learned how many "secret", "name", guests that athletic events get. I'm sure I only heard of a small number of them as well.

It is interesting to point out, though, that if they are seen at the game there is a reason behind it. So maybe there is something to it...xcoffeex

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Word..... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31XawnEmNc&feature=youtu.be&a

What the hell was he yelling at the end????

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2015, 09:30 PM
What the hell was he yelling at the end????

Don't give a ****....I was ready to run throw a wall when he said "kick ass". :D

*he's saying "max effort"...followed by the players saying "pays off". This dude is a motivational speaker that talked to the team before the season started

Bisonoline
September 20th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Don't give a ****....I was ready to run throw a wall when he said "kick ass". :D

*he's saying "max effort"...followed by the players saying "pays off". This dude is a motivational speaker that talked to the team before the season started

Thanks

Bison56
September 21st, 2015, 09:12 AM
What the hell was he yelling at the end????I just flipped a car listening to that.

jacksfan29
September 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM
And I wouldn't be surprised to see him there again this year. NDSU and SDSU drive stability in the Summit. Keep them happy. Plus, if we are to believe Douple and the UND adm hate each other (as stated on SS.com), maybe he showed up to see the Fighting ???? get buried.