PDA

View Full Version : Griz ticket sales slow

griz37
December 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM
According to today's Missoulian just over 17,000 tickets had been sold so far for Saturday's game. That is about 6,000 less then capacity. Pretty disappointing considering we 20K+ last week.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/12/01/sports/sports02.txt

As of Thursday at 5 p.m., a shade more than 17,000 tickets had been sold. Washington-Grizzly Stadium's official capacity is 23,183, and a first-round record 20,077 witnessed UM's win over McNeese State. All tickets are $25

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
They're slow here in Ytown too, but the Griz sell out everygame so that's abnormal for you guys

NDSUFREAK
December 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. Our ticket sales are going very slowwww. I don't think that a ticket has been sold yet.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

89Hen
December 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM
37, I thought you had some deal with season ticket holders having to buy playoff tix? Maybe I'm thinking of Marshall and the NC when it was there.

VictorG
December 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM
37, I thought you had some deal with season ticket holders having to buy playoff tix? Maybe I'm thinking of Marshall and the NC when it was there.

Yes, come playoff time everyone has to buy tickets. Playoffs are not included in the season ticket package.

As far as selling out, the Griz do not sell out every playoff game. Actually, I don't believe we sell out playoffs. 2004 against SHSU was the largest crowd that I remember and I'm not sure if we sold out then. (To lazy to look it up.)

Ticket sales are still disappointing for Saturdays game based upon what happened last week (20k), but that being said, it's nice to say a crowd of 17K plus is disappointing!

th0m
December 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'm guessing a lot of people walk up the day of the game to buy a ticket? Still 2 more days to go! Think about it: since Saturday 5 days have past (17k/5 is 3.4k per day) So with about a day and a half left: 22.1k! Seems like a decent crowd to me ;)

boonedocks
December 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Ticket sales seem slow in these neck of the woods too. I hope they pick up and we get a nice crowd.

SeattleGriz
December 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
I think weather might have something to do with it. When I came over last Saturday, they apparently closed one of the passes because of snow a couple hours after I made it.

The drive back home from Missoula to Seattle was a complete drag, two inches of slush from the Idaho/Montana border all the way to Seattle.

I can't make it this weekend, but will be there for the following if the Griz win.

VictorG
December 1st, 2006, 09:53 AM
Most of hunting season is now over but IMO the 2 things that are effecting ticket sales this weekend are the weather (It's warming up but the forcast from earlier in the week may have scared some away, especially out of towner's) and Christmas Shopping. I know lots of women who are passing the game up because they have to much Christmas shopping to do. Some are even dragging their husbands along. Poor suckers! Poor excuse for missing a game!!!:nod:

griz37
December 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
I'm guessing a lot of people walk up the day of the game to buy a ticket? Still 2 more days to go! Think about it: since Saturday 5 days have past (17k/5 is 3.4k per day) So with about a day and a half left: 22.1k! Seems like a decent crowd to me ;)

I worked in the ticket office in '04 & we had very little walk up ticket sales the day of the game. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that over half the crowd comes from outside of Missoula, so if they are coming to the game, they will be sure to have their tickets in advance. Season ticket holders don't HAVE to buy playoff tickets but they do get the right of 1st refusal.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe it was Hauck's comment a few weeks ago telling people to "stay home" if they didn't like the way he was running things.

But I would think the way the team played last week would leave people much happier in Missoula.

Pard4Life
December 1st, 2006, 11:54 AM
Silly question for the hardened Montana folks, but does the weather have somethign to with it? It's about 14 in Kalispell right now, and I'm guessing only a tad warmer in Missoula.

The Illinois players should be used to the weather though. Imagine if McNeese and Furman were up there this weekend!

Also, UNH and UMass are seasoned for this weather.. don't think the Griz have anymore weather homefield advatages...

griz37
December 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM
Silly question for the hardened Montana folks, but does the weather have somethign to with it? It's about 14 in Kalispell right now, and I'm guessing only a tad warmer in Missoula.

The Illinois players should be used to the weather though. Imagine if McNeese and Furman were up there this weekend!

Also, UNH and UMass are seasoned for this weather.. don't think the Griz have anymore weather homefield advatages...

I think the weather does have an affect. A lot of the donor seats around the 50 yard line tend to look empty the colder it gets.

VictorG
December 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM

I'd say it's pretty evenly divided between the weather and Christmas shopping. Many people who live out of town have to drive many hours to get to Missoula and they have to go over mountain passes. It makes people think twice about taking on a dangerous 6 hour or longer drive when it would only be 3 hours if the weather is good. I know I'd really consider staying home and watching the game on TV if I was faced with that!

grizbeer
December 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM

Also, UNH and UMass are seasoned for this weather.. don't think the Griz have anymore weather homefield advatages...The weather is a factor, somewhat is people who won't sit in the cold, but more so road conditions. 1/2 the fan base travels 120+ miles over mountain passes to get to the game, and nasty weather can discourage people from making the trip.

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM
The weather is a factor, somewhat is people who won't sit in the cold, but more so road conditions. 1/2 the fan base travels 120+ miles over mountain passes to get to the game, and nasty weather can discourage people from making the trip.

I lived in Great Falls, Montana for a couple years and know what you guys are talking about

wildcat2
December 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM
They will all show up by game time but as recall from two years ago I hope it rains so that damn cannon is quiet.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM
does anyone know how many tickets have been sold for the app game?

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM
does anyone know how many tickets have been sold for the app game?

I know as of Thurs night only 8300 tix sold for YSU-ISU.....sad:(

Pard4Life
December 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM
Thinking about the mountain passes did not even come to mind... but that makes definte sense. Around here.. it's just interstate and rolling hills. You actually have to contend with real mountains up there, snowdrifts, and freak storms.

redbirdtim
December 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM
While I would love to see a packed house, I wouldn't mind if YSU had a small crowd. Battling the elements is one thing, battling the Penguin faithful is another.

FlyYtown
December 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
We have sold about 9000 tickets and our capacity is 20,630. The fact it will be 30 degrees with 20 mph winds and the game on a local tv stations---thousands will stay home..

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM
We have sold about 9000 tickets and our capacity is 20,630. The fact it will be 30 degrees with 20 mph winds and the game on a local tv stations---thousands will stay home..

You knew all this earlier today but still said it would be packed:rolleyes: Are you conceding defeat on your attendance crusade?

redbirdtim
December 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Stay home Penguin fans...stay home...just think of those nice WARM homes :D

Grizo406
December 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
I know lots of women who are passing the game up...

So you won't be there?!!?:D

VictorG
December 2nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
So you won't be there?!!?:D

Oh I'll be there. Until I see you coming anyway!xlolx

fencer24
December 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
What with it being on tv and all, I suspect it will just be the hardcore 18,000 who show up. But they make all the noise anyway, and the duds who sit quietly, won't be there to muffle the noise.

Hansel
December 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
I bought a ticket- but the weather doesn't look great so I will probably just stay home and watch the games on TV

elkmcc
December 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
I bought a ticket- but the weather doesn't look great so I will probably just stay home and watch the games on TV

wus

ncbears
December 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Is this the game that Altitude is showing at 12:30 MT time or the UNH game?

griz37
December 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Is this the game that Altitude is showing at 12:30 MT time or the UNH game?

Altitude is airing the Montana game at 12:30pm.