PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #2 Pick 'em

The Cats
September 7th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Week #1 is now in the books, and it's time to look on to week 2. The opening week was not bad for the SoCon teams, but would have been much better if Chatty and Furman had won their close games. Congrats to Samford, The Citadel, Mercer and Western for their opening wins. Western travels to Charleston to meet the Bulldogs in an early conference contest (too early in my opinion)

Saturday, September 12

1:00 pm
Mars Hill at Chattanooga

1:30 pm
Morehead State at VMI

3:00 pm
Florida A&M at Samford

3:30 pm
Furman at Virginia Tech

6:00 pm
Stetson at Mercer

Western Carolina at The Citadel (first conference game of the season)

7:00 pm
Tennessee Tech at Wofford

bonus
7:30 pm
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

The Cats
September 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM
SoCon Power Rankings

1. (1) Chattanooga
Last game: JSU 23 - UTC 20
Record: 0-1 (0-0 SoCon)

2. (3) Samford
Last game: UCA 16 - Samford 45
Record: 1-0 (0-0 SoCon)

3. (2) Western Carolina
Last Game: MHU 14 - Western Carolina 42

4. (5) Furman
Last Game: CCU 38 - Furman 35

5. (6) The Citadel
Last Game: Davidson 0 - Citadel 69
Record: 1-0 (SoCon 0-0)

6. (4) Wofford
Last Game: Wofford 10 - Clemson 49
Record: 0-1 ( 0-0 SoCon)

7. (8) Virginia Military Institute
Last Game: VMI 36 - Ball State 48

8. (7) Mercer
Last Game: Mercer 28 - APU 7

my picks for week #2....

Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

Western Carolina at The Citadel

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

Smitty
September 7th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga - Until they lose to a SoCon team, they are on top
2. Samford - good showing against OOC team
3. WCU - Good job at Mars Hill
4. Furman - A very close game with one of the top teams in the FCS
5. Wofford - Forgot to add but thanks for the reminder.
6. Citadel - Demolished
7. Mercer - Good game but still unproven just yet
8. VMI - Scored quite a bit against an FBS opponent. Will need to see more before moving them from the bottom.

Mars Hill at Chattanooga
Morehead State at VMI
Florida A&M at Samford
Furman at Virginia Tech
Stetson at Mercer
Western Carolina atThe Citadel

Maryville (TN) at ETSU

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2015, 04:02 PM
1. Furman - good showing against
a legit opponent...they look like the Furman of late 2013 again.

2. Samford - looks like Hatcher could possibly make another early spkash at another coaching stop.

3. Chattanooga - gets bested by JSU again.

4. Western Carolina
5. Wofford
6. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Ivytalk
September 7th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I'll go with all the home teams:

Chatty
VMI
Samford
Va Tech
Mercer
The Citadel
Wofford

kdinva
September 7th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Mars Hill 7 at Chattanooga 49
Morehead State 17 at VMI 52
Florida A&M 21 at Samford 44
Furman 21 at Virginia Tech 40
Stetson 13 at Mercer 37
Western Carolina 28 atThe Citadel 34
Tennessee Tech 24 at Wofford 30

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2015, 05:25 PM
So...I tried to use the Formulaic Method for PowerRankings that I saw on another thread and I used the 10 Point Scale for PointsFor/PointsAgainst & the 5 point scale for YardsFor/YardsAgainst and I came up with the Rankings below. I may have misunderstood or miscalculated, but this is what I came up with. I'll go with it....easier than trying to sort out my heart & brain issues. It's simple math (feel free if you want to check mine; it's usually wrong). UPDATE 9/7 10:50 PM: As expected, there was an error in my calculations that was pointed out to me. I did not use the .5 SoS multiplier for The Citadel playing a PFL opponent, as prescribed by the formula. Guess that will cost the Bears in Week 2....but for now...again...It's Math, and I kind of like it.
xsmiley_wix

PowerRank
Team
Total

Mercer

Samford

VMI

Chattanooga

Furman

Wofford

The Citadel

WCU

...and I, too, will say it's HOMER week in the SoCon - victories for all of the Home Teams....C'mon Bellhops - pressure is on you guys to make me right!

(note: I reserve my right to change my Cats & El Cid pick until after I've watch vid of both teams...if I find time to get around to doing that before Sat. Update 9/7 10:50 PM - I've watched all I could take of the Bellhops dismantling of the Mildcats from Davidson. Scary good - reminded me of Patton's tanks rolling thru The Battle of the Bulge - still need to watch the Mountain Cats though - Update 9/7 1:02 AM - watched the 1st quarter of MHU@WCU - I'll stay with all the Home Teams winning this week)

bonarae
September 7th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Chattanooga
VMI
Samford
Virginia Tech
Mercer
Western Carolina
Wofford
ETSU

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Virginia Tech playing their biggest game in years at home on Monday night. Perhaps they will overlook a bit the team they play on Saturday coming off a short week.

OL FU
September 7th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Virginia Tech playing their biggest game in years at home on Monday night. Perhaps they will overlook a bit the team they play on Saturday coming off a short week.

So far they arent overlooking the buckeyes. Nice second quarter!

ElCid
September 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Power Rankings

1. Samford: took care of business, in a flashy way
2. UTC: coulda, shoulda, woulda
3. Furman: hung tough with top 5 team; if they are back, things just got interesting
4. The Citadel: Dogs feasted on pussycat; O looked great and we did not even use our big play running back; new QB is the real deal--poised and patient; D was playing possessed for once; execution all around was tight and there were few mistakes that you would normally expect in an opening game; if we had not run roughshod over them or if we had let them score I would put us at 5 or 6, but it was just too good of a performance
5. WCU: good easy win for them over Div II but not sure if D is any better; gave up 373 yards to the planet school
6. Mercer: looks like they struggled to get going but pulled away from the Peay in second half to get a good road win
7. VMI: hung the whole way with Ball; if their D ever shows up, watch out; Cobb could become a SOCON legend...if you doubt it take a look at the replay, very scary QB
8. Wofford: never gave up but Clemson is just so darn good it is hard to tell what they got; they had a dismal 123 yards on the ground; their trick play was fun to watch though

Predictions

Mars Hill at Chattanooga - UTC picks up where WCU left off - Mocs go big out of frustration - 52-3
Morehead State at VMI - VMI rolls against the Pioneer - 55-17
Florida A&M at Samford - the Rattlers made it close at home in 2013, not this time in Birmingham - 48-7
Furman at Virginia Tech - Furman "may" be back, but, depending on how things go tonight for the Hokies, I got a feeling they may be looking for redemption - 44-13
Stetson at Mercer - the Care Bears look to make it 7-1 all time against Stetson - 54-7
Western Carolina at The Citadel - each team will be hoping to make an early statement in the first SOCON matchup of the year; after neither team's Defense showed up last year (combined 1,076 yards), the team with the most improved D will win; I like the Dog's chances after watching them this week, albeit against a weak pussycat team; they still executed very well holding Davidson to just 104 total yards and scooping in 4 interceptions; the blocking was the best I have seen by the team and we have a backfield full of talent; obviously an early big game for both teams so there will be high energy in Chucktown come Saturday - 31-23
Tennessee Tech at Wofford - Rat dogs look to bounce back at home in their first meeting with Tenn Tech - 34-17

ElCid
September 7th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga - Until they lose to a SoCon team, they are on top
2. Samford - good showing against OOC team
3. WCU - Good job at Mars Hill
4. Furman - A very close game with one of the top teams in the FCS
5. Citadel - Demolished
6. Mercer - Good game but still unproven just yet
7. VMI - Scored quite a bit against an FBS opponent. Will need to see more before moving them from the bottom.

Wofford that bad that you won't even rank them???

eiu1999
September 7th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

BearDownMU
September 7th, 2015, 10:45 PM
We pick against the spread on our board, so I'll just put that up here, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

1:00pm Mars Hill at Chattanooga(-37)
- They can't be happy about the JSU loss and I'm sure the Mocs will be itching to take it out on someone
1:30pm Morehead State at VMI (-22.5)
- VMI's QB is legit and they put up serious numbers against an FBS team. Should keep it going against the Pioneer League Eagles. Keydets win and cover.
3:00pm Florida A&M at Samford (-29.5)
- I'm not sure what will be more offensive: The final score or the Rattlers hideous orange and green unis. Bulldogs cover.
3:30pm Furman at Virginia Tech (-35)
- VaTech is hanging with the #1 team in the nation as I type this. Furman is better, but did give up nearly 500 yards of offense to Coastal Carolina. Can't imagine this ends well. The Hokies cover.
6:00pm Western Carolina at The Citadel (-3)
- Game of the week. It's early in the season and hard to tell so far. ElCid will be tough at home and seeing the option for the first time this season is never easy. Bullpups win and cover.
7:00pm Tennessee Tech at Wofford (-11) Again, who knows? Hard to say much about Woffy's offense after watching them play Clemson. I'll go conference homer and assume they work it out and cover the spread at home.
Stetson at Mercer (-22) - I'll be shocked if we don't cover.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2015, 12:33 AM

A short prep week and the Hokies QB1 is now out 4-8 weeks with a broken collarbone.

Maybe this is the football Gods giving a little karmic payback to the Paladins for all the QB injuries the last few years.

(their backup QB has a total of 12 pass attempts...in his career...including last night)

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2015, 04:57 AM
A short prep week and the Hokies QB1 is now out 4-8 weeks with a broken collarbone.

Maybe this is the football Gods giving a little karmic payback to the Paladins for all the QB injuries the last few years.

(their backup QB has a total of 12 pass attempts...in his career...including last night)

Not sure what it means, but it certainly made their week more complicated.

If Furman can find a way to move the ball, maybe they can hang around a bit.

Smitty
September 8th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Wofford that bad that you won't even rank them???

Thanks forgot about them for some reason.

OL FU
September 8th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Saturday, September 12

Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

Western Carolina at The Citadel (first conference game of the season) Honestly, I think this one is up for grabs.

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Saturday, September 12

Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

Western Carolina at The Citadel (first conference game of the season) Honestly, I think this one is up for grabs.

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

Expecting a tie game between Mercer and Stetson, I see. Bold prediction!

OL FU
September 8th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Expecting a tie game between Mercer and Stetson, I see. Bold prediction!
Corrected.

But I only picked Mercer because I didn't want to hurt your feelings:p

tenNesseeCat
September 8th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Mars Hill at Chattanooga - 50ish-10 - UTC looks to take out their frustrations. MH does have some playmakers though.

Morehead State at VMI - 38-13 - Good win for the new coach.

Florida A&M at Samford - 42-17 - Another strong win for Sammy.

Furman at Virginia Tech - 35-14 - If the VT D wasn't so good, I'd think FU had a better chance with an inexperienced QB for VT.

Stetson at Mercer - 31-10 - Same as last week. MU should win by more, but doesn't for some reason.

Western Carolina at The Citadel - 34-28 - I know the pups are excited they thumped a decent HS team, but that ain't WCU.

Tennessee Tech at Wofford - 27-21 - Woffy lets it get a little closer than they'd like.

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU - 24-17 - yay!!! ETSU gets their first win!

power ranking:
Samford
UTC
WCU
Furman
Wofford
The Citadel
Mercer
VMI

walliver
September 8th, 2015, 08:25 AM
1) Samford - Won against a good team convincingly
2) Chatty -The Mocs have long had problems with their opening games, but will bounce back.
3) Furman - played close against a quality opponent
... the rest either played up or down and it is hard to make much of a ranking
4) Mercer - a good win against an FCS opponent.
5) WCU - beat the little sisters of the poor
6) Wofford - did score a few points against the Tiggers, but still no QB depth chart.
7) VMI - probably better than usual
8) The Citadel - Davidson is probably a little better than the College of Faith, but no bonus points for playing the worst team in D-I.

This week:
Mars Hill at Chatty - Won't be much of a game, and Mocs win by as many as they want.
Morehead State at VMI - Keydets should do well against non-scholarship team and win 31-10
Florida A&M at Samford - Samford looked good in their first game, and picks up another win 49-13.
Furman at Virginia Tech - FU has traditionally kept theses games close. I suspect they keep it close for 3 quarters and then VT pulls away for a 17 point win.
Stetson at Mercer - Stetson is fairly weak by Pioneer standards and this one gets ugly fast. Mercer by 31.
WCU at The Citadel - The Bullpups looked good in last week's scrimmage, but they play a real team this week. Cants win 28-24
TTU at Wofford - The T-dogs will have 5 starters out for this game and a number of true freshmen starting but somehow eek out a closer than expected 34-31 win.

Maryville at ETSU - Bucs pick up their first win of the new outdoor era. I won't pick a score, since I'm not sure if Maryville is a high school or a college.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2015, 08:58 AM
1) Samford - Won against a good team convincingly
2) Chatty -The Mocs have long had problems with their opening games, but will bounce back.
3) Furman - played close against a quality opponent
... the rest either played up or down and it is hard to make much of a ranking
4) Mercer - a good win against an FCS opponent.
5) WCU - beat the little sisters of the poor
6) Wofford - did score a few points against the Tiggers, but still no QB depth chart.
7) VMI - probably better than usual
8) The Citadel - Davidson is probably a little better than the College of Faith, but no bonus points for playing the worst team in D-I.

This week:
Mars Hill at Chatty - Won't be much of a game, and Mocs win by as many as they want.
Morehead State at VMI - Keydets should do well against non-scholarship team and win 31-10
Florida A&M at Samford - Samford looked good in their first game, and picks up another win 49-13.
Furman at Virginia Tech - FU has traditionally kept theses games close. I suspect they keep it close for 3 quarters and then VT pulls away for a 17 point win.
Stetson at Mercer - Stetson is fairly weak by Pioneer standards and this one gets ugly fast. Mercer by 31.
WCU at The Citadel - The Bullpups looked good in last week's scrimmage, but they play a real team this week. Cants win 28-24
TTU at Wofford - The T-dogs will have 5 starters out for this game and a number of true freshmen starting but somehow eek out a closer than expected 34-31 win.

Maryville at ETSU - Bucs pick up their first win of the new outdoor era. I won't pick a score, since I'm not sure if Maryville is a high school or a college.

What's going on with Wofford's QB situation? Seems like this is the third or fourth year in a row the Terriers have been unsettled at the position.

walliver
September 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM
What's going on with Wofford's QB situation? Seems like this is the third or fourth year in a row the Terriers have been unsettled at the position.

Supposedly we have 4 QB's "capable of running the system". The coaches were confident enough in them that we didn't actively recruit a QB last year. Yet, no-one has seemed to distance himself from the pack. Our starting QB against the Tiggers finished last year as the #4 guy.

Hopefully, one QB will rise to the occasion this year. A 2 QB rotation can be useful in an option offense, but a 4 QB rotation is not. The QB depth chart was not sorted out in the spring or preseason practice and is still up in the air.

tenNesseeCat
September 8th, 2015, 09:27 AM
1)Maryville at ETSU - Bucs pick up their first win of the new outdoor era. I won't pick a score, since I'm not sure if Maryville is a high school or a college.
(http://maryvillecollege.edu/news/2015/2311/mc-enjoys-2015-16-recognitions-and-rankings-by-national-publications/)

Maryville College, from my understanding, has very good academics. I'm not sure about their athletics though.

Maryville High School it also considered to have good academics. They also have like 14 or 15 state titles in football

(http://maryvillecollege.edu/news/2015/2311/mc-enjoys-2015-16-recognitions-and-rankings-by-national-publications/)

Sandlapper Spike
September 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I'll pick all the home teams this week.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Supposedly we have 4 QB's "capable of running the system". The coaches were confident enough in them that we didn't actively recruit a QB last year. Yet, no-one has seemed to distance himself from the pack. Our starting QB against the Tiggers finished last year as the #4 guy.

Hopefully, one QB will rise to the occasion this year. A 2 QB rotation can be useful in an option offense, but a 4 QB rotation is not. The QB depth chart was not sorted out in the spring or preseason practice and is still up in the air.

Wofford QBs, to me, have always been a faceless nameless entity that managed to operate the offense without tripping over their shoelaces. They were never going to win the game themselves (contrary to Georgia Southern's version of the option offense).

Probably not a good sign now two years and one week in and still no quarterback is distancing themselves.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Maryville College, from my understanding, has very good academics. I'm not sure about their athletics though.

Maryville High School it also considered to have good academics. They also have like 14 or 15 state titles in football

So what your saying is, if they were playing Maryville High School, they might be in trouble. ;)

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Saturday, September 12

Chattanooga

VMI

Samford

Virginia Tech

Mercer

Western Carolina (but the Dogs hang tough)

Wofford

Maryville

SU DOG
September 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Just my unsolicited opinion, and realizing that Coach MA is one of the best around, I still can't understand - why not just let Jacks have the job? To me he is the best choice for run and passing by far.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I was 6-3 last week. Here's where I have it after Week 1:

1) Samford - Off on a winning note against a decent OOC opponent
2) Chattanooga - Once again found themselves on the short end against premier FCS opponent
3) Western Carolina - Handled Mars Hill without any problems
4) Mercer - Kicks off third season on a winning note.
5) The Citadel - Did not just beat Davidson, they burninated them.
6) Wofford - Got mauled by Clemson.
7) Furman - Had nothing to be ashamed of against future Sun Belt member Coastal Carolina.
8) VMI - Had nothing to be ashamed of against Ball State.
ETSU - I know it's their first game since 2003 but losing by 40 against a newbie, C'Mon Man!

This Week's Predictions
Mars Hill at Chattanooga (Beatdown of the Week) - Mocs take out their anger against Mars Hill.
Morehead State at VMI - Keydets win their home opener
Florida A&M at Samford - Look for the Bulldogs to strike, to strike and strike again.
Furman at Virginia Tech - Hokies take out their frustration on Furman
Stetson at Mercer - Bears maul the Hatters.
Western Carolina at The Citadel (Game of the Week) - Catamounts get best of Bulldogs on the road
Tennessee Tech at Wofford - Terriers win their home opener.
Maryville at ETSU - Bucs take out their frustration against Maryville.

Toby
September 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Walliver:

Maryville High School (TN) is a 6A powerhouse that would be favored against either Maryville College or ETSU.

Toby
September 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Week #1 is now in the books, and it's time to look on to week 2. The opening week was not bad for the SoCon teams, but would have been much better if Chatty and Furman had won their close games. Congrats to Samford, The Citadel, Mercer and Western for their opening wins. Western travels to Charleston to meet the Bulldogs in an early conference contest (too early in my opinion)

Saturday, September 12

Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

bonus
Maryville (TN) at ETSU

ETSU game is a guess.

SU DOG
September 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Seems strange that the bookies have The Citadel as a 3 point favorite. Most of us would have though that Western would be the pick. Hmmm... wonder if they know something? LOL

ElCid
September 8th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Seems strange that the bookies have The Citadel as a 3 point favorite. Most of us would have though that Western would be the pick. Hmmm... wonder if they know something? LOL

Not only the bookies, but pretty much all the computers have us up from 3-8 points. But they are still pretty flimsy at this point. It really isn't as if they walloped us last year. It was a closer game than the 2 scores showed. It could easily go either way depending on the Defenses, but if anyone thinks this is in the bag for Western, they will be in for a rude shock come Saturday.

Smitty
September 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Apparently whoever can beat a small school by the most gets favored the next week.

Catamount87
September 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Mars Hill at Chattanooga - Mocs and I won't be surprised if MH fails to score
Morehead State at VMI - Keydets with a big air strike
Florida A&M at Samford - Samford to also have a big air strike
Furman at Virginia Tech - Furman may show life but the Hokies have their way
Stetson at Mercer - Bears easily
Western Carolina at The Citadel (SoCon Game of the Week) - My Catamounts pull it out on the road
Tennessee Tech at Wofford - Terriers roll on over TTU

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2015, 11:26 AM
SoCon Fans - I posted this in another thread, but thought maybe more of my SoCon brethren might see it here and be interested...

Sagarin Ratings released yesterday show the SoCon as the 3rd best Conference overall in FCS, just behind MVFC and Big Sky...

Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

MVFC

Big Sky

SoCon

CAA

OVC

Southland

Big South

Patriot

IVY

NEC

MEAC

SWAC

PFL

In 2014, the obviously top ranked conference (MVFC) had 5 teams in the Playoffs. The CAA had 4 teams in the playoffs, so that was obviously the 2nd best conference. The Big Sky and the Southland each had 3 teams in the playoffs, so those conferences must have been tied for 3rd best. So, looking at these rankings and the 'spread' between 1 & 2, I'd say that the MVFC gets 5 teams in again. Then 2nd and 3rd ranked conferences are very close with a bit of distance between those ranked 3rd and 4th, so I'm wondering...does the SoCon get 3 or 4 Teams in the Playoffs in 2015?

I would say Samford, with a big, impressive win over a quality opponent, demonstrated they are playoff-caliber. Chatt and Furman, with very narrow losses to teams that are both ranked #1 in FCS in different polls and consensus Top 5, showed that they shouldn't be left out of any playoff conversation.

So, who will get that 4th Playoff bid that the SoCon deserves?

Citadel, WCU, and Mercer all took care of business and met expectations.
VMI exceeded expectations in a great battle with an FBS opponent
Wofford faced an FBS juggernaut in the Clempsun Tiggers, and I would say also met expectations...considering that.

So....I know there's only 1 week in the books, but the SoCon - top-to-bottom, may (and maybe should) ALL contend for Playoff bids this year.

BTW - The SoCon was the ONLY Full-63-Scholarship, playoff participating Conference in 2014 that only rec'd 1 playoff bid. That should not happen in 2015. If it does, perhaps the SoCon should follow the example of our forefathers and secede from the FCS. Right Citdog?

walliver
September 9th, 2015, 11:34 AM
SoCon Fans - I posted this in another thread, but thought maybe more of my SoCon brethren might see it here and be interested...

Sagarin Ratings released yesterday show the SoCon as the 3rd best Conference overall in FCS, just behind MVFC and Big Sky...

Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

MVFC

Big Sky

SoCon

CAA

OVC

Southland

Big South

Patriot

IVY

NEC

MEAC

SWAC

PFL

In 2014, the obviously top ranked conference (MVFC) had 5 teams in the Playoffs. The CAA had 4 teams in the playoffs, so that was obviously the 2nd best conference. The Big Sky and the Southland each had 3 teams in the playoffs, so those conferences must have been tied for 3rd best. So, looking at these rankings and the 'spread' between 1 & 2, I'd say that the MVFC gets 5 teams in again. Then 2nd and 3rd ranked conferences are very close with a bit of distance between those ranked 3rd and 4th, so I'm wondering...does the SoCon get 3 or 4 Teams in the Playoffs in 2015?

I would say Samford, with a big, impressive win over a quality opponent, demonstrated they are playoff-caliber. Chatt and Furman, with very narrow losses to teams that are both ranked #1 in FCS in different polls and consensus Top 5, showed that they shouldn't be left out of any playoff conversation.

Wofford faced an FBS juggernaut in the Clempsun Tiggers, and I would say also met expectations...considering that.

So....I know there's only 1 week in the books, but the SoCon - top-to-bottom, may (and maybe should) ALL contend for Playoff bids this year.

BTW - The SoCon was the ONLY Full-63-Scholarship, playoff participating Conference in 2014 that only rec'd 1 playoff bid. That should not happen in 2015. If it does, perhaps the SoCon should follow the example of our forefathers and secede from the FCS. Right Citdog?

The SoCon only got one in because WCU and Sammy scheduled themselves out of at-large consideration. More than 1 FBS and/or more than 1 D2 hurts.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
The SoCon only got one in because WCU and Sammy scheduled themselves out of at-large consideration. More than 1 FBS and/or more than 1 D2 hurts.

I think Imarino addressed this. The SoCon schools have gotten by with scheduling some abysmally bad teams. Sometimes several. That is costing us dearly in the multi-bid department.

I get that scheduling changes happen, but if you want to be a multi-bid league, you cannot be playing D2 and nonscholarship programs with any regularity.

Just my opinion, but Furman and UTC are really the only SoCon schools that have made a habit of scheduling a full slate of respectable programs. I cannot remember the last D2 Furman played, it may have been Mars Hill or West Georgia 7 or 8 years ago.

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I think Imarino addressed this. The SoCon schools have gotten by with scheduling some abysmally bad teams. Sometimes several. That is costing us dearly in the multi-bid department.

I get that scheduling changes happen, but if you want to be a multi-bid league, you cannot be playing D2 and nonscholarship programs with any regularity.

Just my opinion, but Furman and UTC are really the only SoCon schools that have made a habit of scheduling a full slate of respectable programs. I cannot remember the last D2 Furman played, it may have been Mars Hill or West Georgia 7 or 8 years ago.

And it should be noted that with the exception of Huesmans' first year (when they opened with Glenville State), the only 2 non-DI games the Mocs have played in the last 6 seasons have both been after getting late word that an FCS opponent was backing out of playing at Finley (Glenville State for Presbyterian and Mars Hill for Austin Peay).

In defense of both of those teams, they did drop UTC for FBS paychecks, so it is hard to be too upset. Presbyterian had the chance to pick up Vandy and Austin Peay is playing Southern Miss next weekend.

It should also be noted that Mars Hill might actually be an upgrade ;)

CID1990
September 9th, 2015, 05:00 PM

We scheduled Davidson and then we skull****ed them

because they deserved it

I challenge any longtime SoCon fan to deny they didnt take pleasure in the basketball score we laid on their sorry Duke pre-med asses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2015, 05:15 PM
We scheduled Davidson and then we skull****ed them because they deserved it

I challenge any longtime SoCon fan to deny they didnt take pleasure in the basketball score we laid on their sorry Duke pre-med asses

Thanks for the nostalgic 'flashback' you gave me with that post Cid.

Back...way back...in the day, I loved to hear that tone of verbal abuse from the entire Corps of Cadets when they massed up & marched 'em into JH Stadium through the gate that was about 10 feet from the visitor's locker room. The locker room, now the groundskeepers' storage area beside & under the visitors' stands, only held about 20-30 people at a time and was a slimy steambath (even in November). So most of the visiting team would be outside hanging out on the grassy area nearby and the Cadets would let those disparagements & epithets FLY for 20-30 minutes or so while they were massing. It was beautiful. I hope visiting players today are getting some of that experience when they play there, but I think in the sanitized, homogenized, politically-correct climate of today, they are most likely being deprived of such great memories.

SU DOG
September 9th, 2015, 05:35 PM
As for Davidson, WTG The Citadel. Sometimes, with scheduling there are extenuating circumstances that are not obvious to everyone. Last year was one of those situations with Samford. We had one FCS school to back out on us. TCU and Auburn were both special for Coach Sullivan's retirement season. Both had several ceremonies/awards for Pat. Samford could not find 2 FCS schools to play, so the Playoffs chances were very slim. I'm also not sure that the SoCon had anybody, other than UTC, who was really worthy last year.

Now, I'm completely convinced that our league is MUCH stronger overall than it has been in several seasons. I know it is early, and that statement might be questioned, but that is my personal opinion, and I think many others agree. I would love to see 3 SoCon Teams in this year's Playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I said last season that I was willing to give the SoCon a mulligan on scheduling with the loss of GSU, ASU and Elon all in the same season. That was a huge hole to fill.

UTC lost 4 home games last year...GSU, ASU, Elon and Georgia State...replaced by Central Michigan (road) Austin Peay (road) Jax State (home) and Mercer (home). That would have been a huge attendance year for the Mocs...GSU and ASU + an "FBS" home game.

thirdgendin
September 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Playing 2 FBS teams this year has made Furman's margin for error very narrow. Assuming loses to VT and UCF, 6-1 in SoCon play is the absolute worst Furman can do and hope for a playoff bid.

UTC is probably in the same boat now with an FCS loss, D2 on the schedule, and Florida State to end the season. Western is in an even worse position with 2 FBS games AND a D2 - if they beat PC, they will have to be no worse than 6-1 in the SoCon. The Citadel and Wofford are like Furman with 2 FBS games and 2 FCS non-conference, and Samford has 1 D2 and 1 FBS. The SoCon hasn't done itself any favors in scheduling again this year.

From a playoff perspective, The Citadel's scheduling of Davidson is brilliant. It's a D2 (or less) quality opponent that counts towards the playoffs. I would much rather see Furman schedule Stetson, Davidson, Campbell, etc. than a D2 in the future.

SU DOG
September 10th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Playing 2 FBS teams this year has made Furman's margin for error very narrow. Assuming loses to VT and UCF, 6-1 in SoCon play is the absolute worst Furman can do and hope for a playoff bid.

UTC is probably in the same boat now with an FCS loss, D2 on the schedule, and Florida State to end the season. Western is in an even worse position with 2 FBS games AND a D2 - if they beat PC, they will have to be no worse than 6-1 in the SoCon. The Citadel and Wofford are like Furman with 2 FBS games and 2 FCS non-conference, and Samford has 1 D2 and 1 FBS. The SoCon hasn't done itself any favors in scheduling again this year.

From a playoff perspective, The Citadel's scheduling of Davidson is brilliant. It's a D2 (or less) quality opponent that counts towards the playoffs. I would much rather see Furman schedule Stetson, Davidson, Campbell, etc. than a D2 in the future.

We would all like to schedule those Pioneer League teams, but it is NOT that easy to do, as they are in demand. What will help somewhat is when ETSU is also playing a conference schedule. Losing 2 conference teams and gaining one is where we still stand this year. Wonder if replacing UNCG with a football playing school should be a subject to consider? I know that has been discussed among us fans before, but don't guess it will ever actually be on an official SoCon agenda.

walliver
September 10th, 2015, 09:36 AM
We would all like to schedule those Pioneer League teams, but it is NOT that easy to do, as they are in demand. What will help somewhat is when ETSU is also playing a conference schedule. Losing 2 conference teams and gaining one is where we still stand this year. Wonder if replacing UNCG with a football playing school should be a subject to consider? I know that has been discussed among us fans before, but don't guess it will ever actually be on an official SoCon agenda.

I doubt their is much institutional push to get rid of UNC-G.
Next year we will have 9 football schools. Everybody plays everybody else every year, and everybody will get 4 home conference games and 4 away conference games every year. Teams then only have to fill 3 (or sometimes 4) extra games - enough for flexibility, but not too many weeks to fill.
Having UNC-G gives us an even number of basketball teams with 9 home conference games and 9 away conference games and makes scheduling a lot easier. Unlike Davidson and College of Charleston, UNC-G has not been able to leverage their lack of scholarship football into a good basketball program, so they don't really have any unfair advantage.

Sandlapper Spike
September 10th, 2015, 10:15 AM
UNCG also helps out in other sports (like in baseball, where Chattanooga doesn't field a team).

Next year, The Citadel plays North Greenville, which is the first non-D1 it has scheduled in several years. That could hurt if the Bulldogs are a playoff contender.

I'm sure some of the Pioneer League teams demand home-and-home arrangements; otherwise, I would want The Citadel to play the likes of Campbell or Stetson every season.

Catamount87
September 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Our OOC schedule definitely puts us a bit behind the 8 ball so to speak. The Mars Hill game, I suspect, has always been about throwing a bone to a fellow mountain school. It's a big game for them, like an FBS/BCS game is for us FCS teams. So, I can't be too critical of scheduling them given we turn around and schedule FBS/BCS games.

Now scheduling two FBS/BCS games is tough. I suspect, it's being done for budgetary reasons though. Over the last several years, the state legislature hasn't been too kind to the university system budget. Pretty much every university in NC is running bare bones with regards to state appropriations. Even better is when they turn around and tell schools they can only spend a percentage of the previously approved budget. (What a nice way to cut the budget without actually cutting it, eh?)

Bottom line, that leaves 8 games, one of which is a FCS OOC game. So, we must win that one and go at least 5-2 in the SoCon to even be in any possible playoff discussion, not a lot of margin for error. But it's the reality we are in. We can step up or shrink from the challenge. Last year, we stepped up most of the time but faltered a bit.(PC game comes to mind) This year, we must step up and stay up and take no one for granted. There's not a single gimme game on the schedule from here on out. To quote Coach Speir, "to be the man, you must beat the man."

walliver
September 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM
UNCG also helps out in other sports (like in baseball, where Chattanooga doesn't field a team).

Next year, The Citadel plays North Greenville, which is the first non-D1 it has scheduled in several years. That could hurt if the Bulldogs are a playoff contender.

I'm sure some of the Pioneer League teams demand home-and-home arrangements; otherwise, I would want The Citadel to play the likes of Campbell or Stetson every season.

North Greenville has a much much better team than Davidson.

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Those peeps making at-large bid decisions this year need to understand that the scheduling decisions were no fault of the teams making those decisions, that the D2 scheduling is a temporary anomaly due to the 'desertion' of GaSou, Appy, and eLoan, and, most importantly, the top-to-bottom strength of the SoCon this season...and respond accordingly with 4 teams, certainly no less than 3, going to the playoffs.

Catamount87
September 10th, 2015, 12:19 PM
FuBeAR, last season you posted a great analysis of the Citadel's offensive line blocking and "early" jumps. Where did you post that?

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2015, 12:23 PM
FuBeAR, last season you posted a great analysis of the Citadel's offensive line blocking and "early" jumps. Where did you post that?

Most likely it was on www.mubeardown.com (http://www.mubeardown.com) - BUT....I watched their game vs. Davy on ESPN3 and I didn't notice any of that this season, so far. Maybe they got some intel that SoCon officials were not going to 'low it this year OR there is a difference in the new QB's cadence which eliminated it. All that said, those guys come off the ball quick, hard, and low (does my heart good to see it!) and, from what I saw, now, also legally.

kdinva
September 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
.....I'm sure some of the Pioneer League teams demand home-and-home arrangements.....

I know the Keydets are "returning" the Morehead St. game next season..... xflamemadx xbangx

ElCid
September 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Oh my, not doing a little early sandbagging are we? Ala some mythical infraction?

BearDownMU
September 10th, 2015, 05:59 PM
http://s3.postimg.org/5o3ijgd6b/Bellhops_Check_Out_Early.jpg
Oh my, not doing a little early sandbagging are we? Ala some mythical infraction?

Look! A unicorn!!! (Courtesy of FUBeAR)

ElCid
September 10th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Look! A unicorn!!! (Courtesy of FUBeAR)

It would be nicer if you had a live action shot. A snap is not conclusive of anything. Besides, not called=not a penalty.:D But I think you are right about last week, I did not see anything early on the replay. Hopefully we are going back to our leading FCS, low penalty days.

ElCid
September 10th, 2015, 06:25 PM
ETSU starts momentarily. Against Maryville. Tenn school of 1400, Div III.

http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon/game/maryville-college2065-at-etsu-on-09102015

BearDownMU
September 10th, 2015, 06:27 PM
It would be nicer if you had a live action shot. A snap is not conclusive of anything. Besides, not called=not a penalty.:D But I think you are right about last week, I did not see anything early on the replay. Hopefully we are going back to our leading FCS, low penalty days.

I'm not knocking it or crying foul or slighting you team in any way. Seriously. But it was literally every snap in our game last year. To your point, no call - no penalty. But it was the most frustrating 3 hours of my adult life. lol

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2015, 07:19 PM

Don't worry El Cid - my Catamount friends will just as strongly deny/discount the obviously clear pics/vid's that I will post of the WCU DL using their hands to the opponents' OLmens' faces every play, if they start (and get away with) that junk again this season. I'm a bit more perturbed about that crap because, not only is it illegal, it's also very dangerous. I have heard the SoCon Officials were put on notice of that foul as a point of emphasis this season. I hope so. And like the Chucktown boys in baby blue NOT getting an early jump off the ball on O last week, I did not see the MountainPurples DL doing that in their game vs. Mars Hill last week. A little hard to tell with the video quality, but if it wasn't obviously visible, being utilized as a deliberate technique, as it was last year, then I'm going to assume they were not doing it. And that makes me happy, if so.

DoWe
September 10th, 2015, 07:34 PM
I have heard the SoCon Officials were put on notice of that foul as a point of emphasis this season.
That should matter! When you put a SoCon official on notice they start worrying about firming up their Friday night high school acts.

OrangeAndBlack
September 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Mars Hill at Chattanooga

Morehead State at VMI

Florida A&M at Samford

Furman at Virginia Tech

Stetson at Mercer

bonus:
It looks like ETSU hired the wrong coach. They are in a deep hole to start their relaunch. (They just lost as I'm posting this)

APaladindad
September 10th, 2015, 11:54 PM
1:00pm Mars Hill at Chattanooga(-37) Covers

1:30pm Morehead State at VMI (-22.5) Covers

3:00pm Florida A&M at Samford (-29.5) Covers

3:30pm Furman at Virginia Tech (-35) VT does not cover

6:00pm Western Carolina at The Citadel (-3) Citadel does not cover

7:00pm Tennessee Tech at Wofford (-11) Wofford covers

6:00pm Stetson at Mercer (-22) - Mercer covers and the spread should be bigger!

APaladindad
September 11th, 2015, 12:13 AM

Rank
Conference
Avg Rating

MVFC

Big Sky

SoCon

CAA

OVC

Southland

Big South

Patriot

IVY

NEC

MEAC

SWAC

PFL

I would say you got it figured about right! Anything less than three for the SOCON and there will be a foul smell coming from the offices of the NCAA playoff selection group!

CID1990
September 11th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Actually, the bookies may be looking at last year's game and seeing our 4 turnovers in WCU territory. Take those away and we might well have won that game.

Davidson is a bad indicator, but we played mistake free football. If we do that tomorrow, coupled with home field advantage I think the line is probably right. Not knocking WCU- they are good and have pretty much all their starters back. Should be a good game, probably a close one.

walliver
September 11th, 2015, 07:17 AM
ETSU has already ruined my predictions this week. Maybe they should have played the high school, not the D3.

I guess CCU, ODU, and Mercer have given us an unrealistic expectation of startup programs.

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Actually, the bookies may be looking at last year's game and seeing our 4 turnovers in WCU territory. Take those away and we might well have won that game.

If WCU hadn't given up all those yards to bama, we would have won that game too! Don't forget, we had two turnovers too, in cit territory. If i'm not mistaken, your coach was wrong on his show. He said the TO that Morgan FORCED right before your guy was going to score was a 14 point swing. he said we took the ball and scored after that, but we didn't. the score was 8-7 before the fumble, and 8-7 at halftime. No 14 point swing. all 4 were not in wcu territory. it looks to me like Gill, Clark, and especially Morgan were ya'lls worst nightmare that day. here are the turnovers in that game, just so we can all remember, correctly, what happened that day.

1st and 8 at WCU 38
Tyler Renew run for 6 yds to the WCaro 29 Tyler Renew fumbled, forced by Ace Clark, recovered by WCaro Christon Gill

2nd and 13 at CIT 46
Isiaha Smith run for 53 yds to the WCaro 7 Isiaha Smith fumbled, forced by Trey Morgan, recovered by WCaro Christon Gill , return for 7 yds to the WCaro 7

2nd and 9 at CIT 42
Troy Mitchell pass intercepted DeVonta Delaney return for no gain to the Citad 8

1st and 10 at CIT 27
Troy Mitchell pass intercepted Malik Diggs return for 14 yds to the Citad 25

1st and 10 at CIT 25
Aaron Miller pass intercepted Trey Morgan return for no gain to the WCaro 34

1st and 10 at WCU 32
Cam Jackson run for 6 yds to the WCaro 26 Cam Jackson fumbled, forced by Trey Morgan, recovered by WCaro Ace Clark

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Preview of VT Game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beVHs7P0CG0

Interesting question - Will Ernie Cain be a SoCon "household name" by seasons end? Three rushing touchdowns against Coastal Carolina.

SU DOG
September 11th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Interesting question - Will Ernie Cain be a SoCon "household name" by seasons end? Three rushing touchdowns against Coastal Carolina.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. The guy not only has big-time power, but can take it to the house once he clears the LOS. VERY impressive.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he did. The guy not only has big-time power, but can take it to the house once he clears the LOS. VERY impressive.

He is an interesting player and a difficult matchup for defenses. I am not sure I can remember seeing him on a run outside the tackle box. Most carries are quick blasts through the line of scrimmage. He is a big kid, runs hard, and is deceptively fast for his size.

Really don't need to look much further than the Coastal highlights where he scored by banging it in on the goal line as well as a long run right past the Coastal defense. I don't know how fast Cain is, but he outran CCU's defensive backs.

CID1990
September 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
If WCU hadn't given up all those yards to bama, we would have won that game too! Don't forget, we had two turnovers too, in cit territory. If i'm not mistaken, your coach was wrong on his show. He said the TO that Morgan FORCED right before your guy was going to score was a 14 point swing. he said we took the ball and scored after that, but we didn't. the score was 8-7 before the fumble, and 8-7 at halftime. No 14 point swing. all 4 were not in wcu territory. it looks to me like Gill, Clark, and especially Morgan were ya'lls worst nightmare that day. here are the turnovers in that game, just so we can all remember, correctly, what happened that day.

1st and 8 at WCU 38
Tyler Renew run for 6 yds to the WCaro 29 Tyler Renew fumbled, forced by Ace Clark, recovered by WCaro Christon Gill

2nd and 13 at CIT 46
Isiaha Smith run for 53 yds to the WCaro 7 Isiaha Smith fumbled, forced by Trey Morgan, recovered by WCaro Christon Gill , return for 7 yds to the WCaro 7

2nd and 9 at CIT 42
Troy Mitchell pass intercepted DeVonta Delaney return for no gain to the Citad 8

1st and 10 at CIT 27

1st and 10 at CIT 25

1st and 10 at WCU 32
Cam Jackson run for 6 yds to the WCaro 26 Cam Jackson fumbled, forced by Trey Morgan, recovered by WCaro Ace Clark

no need to get defensive and go all war and peace over it

Im just offering a possibility for why the people who make money off of being correct could possibly have us winning the game

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2015, 09:48 AM
ETSU has already ruined my predictions this week. Maybe they should have played the high school, not the D3.

I guess CCU, ODU, and Mercer have given us an unrealistic expectation of startup programs.

Not to take anything away from the BeachChickens because what they have done since is very impressive, but they were 'only' 6-5 in their start-up season.

Year
Overall Record
NCAA Division
Conference
Conference Record
Head Coach

6-5
I-AA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Championship_Subdivision) (FCS)
Big South (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_South_Conference)
1-3
David Bennett (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bennett_(coach))

Mercer and ODU fared quite a bit better than that in Year 1...

Team - Start-up Year
Coach
Overall
Conference
Standing

Old Dominion - 2009
Bobby Wilder
9–2
0-0 | FCS Independent
N/A

Mercer - 2013
Bobby Lamb
10–2
6-2 | FCS Pioneer Football League
3rd

I wonder if the good folks from KSU are not feeling quite as positive today about their win last week. It will be very interesting to see how well they compete in the BSC in Year 1. I know they have high expectations.

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2015, 10:08 AM
no need to get defensive and go all war and peace over it

Im just offering a possibility for why the people who make money off of being correct could possibly have us winning the game

It's all good buddy. I wasn't trying to come off hostile. I've just see quite a few shoulda...coulda...woulda's regarding last years game. I agree that it could have gone the other way if not for the turnovers. I just feel the same could apply for WCU. We shoulda...coulda...woulda put 14 more points on the board had Troy not thrown 2 ints. ;) I think The Citadel is probably an underrated team coming into this year, and tomorrow should be a heck of a game.

BearDownMU
September 11th, 2015, 12:43 PM

Love how that kid plays.

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Maryville High would have beaten them by 21. ;)

15x Tennessee State Champions

Maryville High School had the longest active football winning streak in America (74-0) until their loss in the 2008 Tennessee 4A State Championship Game.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Maryville High would have beaten them by 21. ;)

15x Tennessee State Champions

Maryville High School had the longest active football winning streak in America (74-0) until their loss in the 2008 Tennessee 4A State Championship Game.

Yep - I hear their Head Coach has some good football coaching 'bloodlines' xnodx

Mocs123
September 11th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Mars Hill 7
Chattanooga 42

Morehead State 17
VMI 36

Florida A&M 14
Samford 45

Furman 17
Virginia Tech 49

Stetson 10
Mercer 38

Western Carolina 36 Game of the Week
Citadel 24

Tennessee Tech 17
Wofford 31

1.) Chattanooga - Chattanooga has a tough loss at home but gets to release their frustration on Mars Hill
2.) Furman - Close game against a very good CCU team
3.) Samford - Good OOC Win - it will be interesting to see how they progress
4.) Western Carolina - The top 4 are close this year
5.) Wofford - Couldn’t tell much against Clemson
6.) Mercer - Struggled more than I thought against Peay
7.) Citadel - Couldn’t tell much against Davidson
8.) VMI - Played a great game against Ball State - Do they deserve to be moved up?......
9.) ETSU - Just getting their feet wet

OrangeAndBlack
September 11th, 2015, 08:33 PM
1.) Chattanooga - Chattanooga has a tough loss at home but gets to release their frustration on Mars Hill
2.) Furman - Close game against a very good CCU team
3.) Samford - Good OOC Win - it will be interesting to see how they progress
4.) Western Carolina - The top 4 are close this year
5.) Wofford - Couldn’t tell much against Clemson
6.) Mercer - Struggled more than I thought against Peay
7.) Citadel - Couldn’t tell much against Davidson
8.) VMI - Played a great game against Ball State - Do they deserve to be moved up?......
9.) ETSU - Just getting their feet wet

9 is too high for ETSU.

walliver
September 11th, 2015, 10:47 PM
How about ...
9) Reinhardt

10) ETSU

OrangeAndBlack
September 11th, 2015, 11:12 PM
How about ...
9) Reinhardt

10) ETSU

Fear Reinhardt xthumbsupx xnodx

ElCid
September 11th, 2015, 11:34 PM
1st and 8 at WCU 38

2nd and 13 at CIT 46

2nd and 9 at CIT 42

1st and 10 at CIT 27

1st and 10 at CIT 25

1st and 10 at WCU 32

Sure it is always coulda, woulda, shoulda when talking about turnovers. But I will say this after being at that game last year, the turnover that really tuned the tide was Smith's. Not just looking at the score or field position, but emotionally. That one unfortunately hit the Dogs the hardest I think. He was just about to score easily and let the ball get popped out! Great defense play on your guy's part. But you could see the wind come out of their sails on that one. That was early in the 2nd and we did not score again until early in the 4th. After watching our backs last week, I think ball security was a high emphasis item in the offseason and preseason. I saw some positive actions in ball security. I think turnovers or lack thereof, will obviously be key to tomorrow's outcome.

For those going, prepare to get wet while tailgating.

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2015, 12:41 AM
1- Samford
2- Furman
3- Chattanooga
4- Western Carolina
5- Wofford
6- Mercer
7- The Citadel
8- VMI
9- UNCG
10- ETSU

Good news is, UNCG is idle, so ETSU still has a chance to move up with a win.

ElCid
September 12th, 2015, 07:55 AM
1- Samford
2- Furman
3- Chattanooga
4- Western Carolina
5- Wofford
6- Mercer
7- The Citadel
8- VMI
9- UNCG
10- ETSU

Good news is, UNCG is idle, so ETSU still has a chance to move up with a win.

That's pretty harsh.xlolx

SU DOG
September 12th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Harsh yes, but unless you're a Bucs Fan that is funny.xlolxxlolx

Sir William
September 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Furman at Va Tech... I woke up this morning with a good feeling about this. Upset alert!

Having a homer moment. Sincerest apologies to everyone. 😄🙏👍

Smitty
September 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Furman at Va Tech... I woke up this morning with a good feeling about this. Upset alert!

Having a homer moment. Sincerest apologies to everyone. 

Happens to the best of us.

kdinva
September 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM
keydets pulled it out at the gun, 43-40......Keydet defense still with a lot of holes, and we hope Coach Clark can get that unit squared away in a hurry. But, Morehead ran lots of pass routes that isolated VMI linebackers on their wide outs.....and UR coaches will note that in their film study.

Cobb with an uncharacteristic 3 interceptions, two into double coverage.....

Smitty
September 12th, 2015, 07:37 PM
And just like that Western is back to the cellar.

http://i.imgur.com/abBAQaB.gif

ElCid
September 12th, 2015, 08:12 PM

No you lost to a team that everyone has under rated. We caught a couple breaks as well and that can't hurt. But our D is much better than it has been. As it is you still racked up 345 yds. Good luck at Tenn. We will need luck at GSU.

CID1990
September 12th, 2015, 08:14 PM

http://i.imgur.com/abBAQaB.gif

I dont think WCU sucks

They have all the same personnel from last year, and still might well be in the top 3.

The difference in this years game and last years is we have a much improved defense, and we didnt let you capitalize on all our mistakes.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

Smitty
September 12th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I dont think WCU sucks

They have all the same personnel from last year, and still might well be in the top 3.

The difference in this years game and last years is we have a much improved defense, and we didnt let you capitalize on all our mistakes.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

You improved on defense and apparently we have gotten worse in every way. Either way I have a hard time finding Western to be favorites against most teams in the conference now.

CID1990
September 12th, 2015, 08:26 PM
You improved on defense and apparently we have gotten worse in every way. Either way I have a hard time finding Western to be favorites against most teams in the conference now.

One thing is for sure- we managed to contain your QB for the most part. He ran wild on us last year and it looks like our coaching staff made keeping him mostly behind the line of scrimmage a priority.

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2015, 11:52 PM
SoCon Scores

Thursday
Maryville 28
East Tennessee State 21
(A: 7,357)

Saturday
Mars Hill 34
Chattanooga 44
(A: 9,491)

Morehead State 40
VMI 43
(A: 5,016)

Florida A&M 21
Samford 58
(A: 4,714)

Furman 3
Virginia Tech 42

Stetson 14
Mercer 57
(A: 11,267)

Western Carolina 10
The Citadel 28
(A: 8,048)

Tennessee Tech 14
Wofford 34
(A: 6,834)

- - - Updated - - -

1. Chattanooga 12,652
Jacksonville State 15,812
Mars Hill 9,491

2. Western Carolina 12,348
Mars Hill 12,338

3. Mercer 11,267
Stetson 11,267

4. The Citadel 8,357
Davidson 8,665
Western Carolina 8,048

East Tennessee State 7,787
Kennesaw State 8,217
Maryville 7,357

5. Wofford 6,843
Tennessee Tech 6,834

6. Furman 6,563
Coastal Carolina 6,563

7. Samford 5,487
Central Arkansas 6,259
Florida A&M 4,714

8. VMI 5,016
Morehead State 5,016

OrangeAndBlack
September 13th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Nice looking attendance numbers around the league!

Baldy
September 13th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Great attendance figures for Mercer. Living in Macon it's great to see the town get behind the Bears. Hoping to catch a game in person this season. xthumbsupx

CID1990
September 13th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I found out this week that we don't count the corps of cadets in our numbers. Thats 2000 we dont count, but that still brings us nowhere near where we were 10-15 years ago. I expect the numbers will improve if we continue to win, but its frustrating to see we have so many fair weather fans who would rather wear garnet or orange on Saturdays.

walliver
September 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM

FU and The Citadel are drawing about half of what they did 10 years ago. Wofford's numbers are down, but OOC games rarely draw well anyway.

Mercer, Chatty, and WCU are doing well.

OL FU
September 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Great attendance figures for Mercer. Living in Macon it's great to see the town get behind the Bears. Hoping to catch a game in person this season. xthumbsupx

It certainly isn't great attendance numbers for Furman. But I fear it may be something we have to get used to.

ElCid
September 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM
If you win, they will come.

Catamount87
September 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM
8,048 at the WCU/Citadel game?!?

I was there and have a hard time believing that it was that many even counting the Corp of Cadets.

citdog
September 14th, 2015, 10:54 AM

I was there and have a hard time believing that it was that many even counting the Corp of Cadets.

pretty hard to see through your tears i'll bet.

At least we have two sides on our stadium.

28-10

CID1990
September 14th, 2015, 11:02 AM

well 1500 of them were hidden in the club level looking down at you peasants over cigars and whisky

Catamount87
September 14th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Well we do have two sides. Granted the west stands aren't overly large but they are fairly new, clean with good ingress and egress and good facilities.

Have you been to the visitor's side of your stadium? Hands down, one of the worst athletic facilities I have ever been in, an embarrassment to The Citadel, especially given how nice much of the other facilities are there. That said, the polar opposite can be said of the fans, alumni and students of The Citadel, friendly, cheerful and most of all respectful.

CID1990
September 14th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Well we do have two sides. Granted the west stands aren't overly large but they are fairly new, clean with good ingress and egress and good facilities.

Have you been to the visitor's side of your stadium? Hands down, one of the worst athletic facilities I have ever been in, an embarrassment to The Citadel, especially given how nice much of the other facilities are there. That said, the polar opposite can be said of the fans, alumni and students of The Citadel, friendly, cheerful and most of all respectful.

our visitors side along with our pisswall is completely by design

may we never change it

citdog
September 14th, 2015, 08:16 PM
LONG LIVE THE PISS WALL!

walliver
September 15th, 2015, 08:31 AM
our visitors side along with our pisswall is completely by design

may we never change it

On the other hand, the visitors stands are even worse at Gardner-Webb. Their urinals are present, but about 6 inches wide.

If Charleston wants a successful bowl game, the visitors stands will need to be improved. After all, on TV, the visitors stands are seen much more often than the home stands.

citdog
September 15th, 2015, 09:02 AM
On the other hand, the visitors stands are even worse at Gardner-Webb. Their urinals are present, but about 6 inches wide.

If Charleston wants a successful bowl game, the visitors stands will need to be improved. After all, on TV, the visitors stands are seen much more often than the home stands.

Tell your uncle jerry to write us a check.

CID1990
September 15th, 2015, 11:38 AM

we dont want a bowl game

a couple home playoff games would be nice though - and that would have nothing to do with other people's offended sensibilities over decor or urinal style