BisonTru
September 4th, 2015, 09:51 AM
http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx

Professor Chaos
September 4th, 2015, 09:52 AM
SDSU, you're now on the clock.

dewey
September 4th, 2015, 11:52 AM
There is quite the arms race going on with the Dakota schools. Is USD going to be able to raise enough money for this (coyot fans?)? How long before the Montana schools follow suit?

Dewey

goyotes
September 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM
There is quite the arms race going on with the Dakota schools. Is USD going to be able to raise enough money for this (coyot fans?)? How long before the Montana schools follow suit?

Dewey

Given the competitive recruiting enviroment in the Dakota's, the cost of not offering FCOA is greater than the cost of offering FCOA.

BisonTru
September 4th, 2015, 12:13 PM

Dewey

Without rubbing shoulders much on the recruiting trail with the Dakota schools, I don't think they need to be in a hurry to get this done. Does anybody know if Idaho is offering FCOA?

Jacked_Rabbit
September 4th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Wow. I'm shocked by this, honestly... USD really must be sick of being the red-headed step child (no pun intended) in state. Good for them for upping the ante!

mmiller_34
September 4th, 2015, 02:26 PM
We better have an announcement soon.. I don't being the odd one out one bit.\

I think if the others are able to do it, SDSU should be fine. The only thing that might be causing issues is our Varsity Equestrian team and the expenditures involved with that.

Bisonoline
September 4th, 2015, 02:31 PM

Dewey

Unless others schools within their recruiting foot prink offer it Montana wont have to.

clenz
September 4th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Over 4 grand to live in Vermillion?

Bull****.

You could buy half that city for that price.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Anti-depressants are not cheap...

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Hambone
September 4th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Good for USD.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I'll be Debbie Downer - I'm against the idea of COA in FCS. FCS was specifically set up to allow DI schools to have a cost contained fb program. COA goes directly against that concept.

FargoBison
September 4th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I'll be Debbie Downer - I'm against the idea of COA in FCS. FCS was specifically set up to allow DI schools to have a cost contained fb program. COA goes directly against that concept.

If women's basketball players are getting this, why not football players who generate much more exposure and money for a school?

Honestly I think if you can't fund FCOA(especially for revenue sports) you don't really belong at the DI level at all.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I stated the reason above. It's that simple.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 05:50 PM
BTW, I also an against the idea of UNI moving up to FBS. For every Boise state, there are 20 teams like Idaho or Georgia state.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 05:52 PM
BTW, I also an against the idea of UNI moving up to FBS. For every Boise state, there are 20 teams like Idaho or Georgia state.

Cost contain....move to the Pioneer with Drake. :D

FargoBison
September 4th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Cost contain....move to the Pioneer with Drake. :D

Yeah, they are the only schools in the FCS that participate in true cost containment.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 06:05 PM
The great thing about the U.S.is everyone is allowed to state their opinion, even you and Lakes.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 07:01 PM
The great thing about the U.S.is everyone is allowed to state their opinion, even you and Lakes.

Why do other MVFC fans seem more ready to do one of the following:

Kick out NDSU
Ban FCOA
Cry poverty
etc.

But the Big Sky school's fans seemingly don't give two ****s that UND is doing it? Is it a culture thing? If it was just USD and UND, would UNI fans really care?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Northern Iowa (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/#)
Mo. Valley
Ben Jacobson (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/#)
$550,000
$8,000
$558,000
$480,000

North Dakota State (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/#)
Summit
David Richman (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/#)
$190,000
$5,000
$195,000
$202,500

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3826039-pay-play-ndsu-latest-school-provide-cost-attendance-all-scholarship-athletes

It's an estimated $600,000 to $700,000 bill that will be covered with external fundraising, said NDSU athletic director Matt Larsen

Athletic departments all make financial decisions that fit their specific needs....

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Was against it when liberty announced

nodak651
September 4th, 2015, 07:30 PM
The big sky doesn't recruit in MN/WI so I think that is your reason.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 07:34 PM

My point still stands sans kicking NDSU out of the MVFC.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 07:38 PM
The big sky doesn't recruit in MN/WI so I think that is your reason.

But the Dakotas don't recruit westward (or their own neighboring states for that matter)? I can see the conference footprint having an influence to a point, but I think it is ALOT deeper than that as far as attitude towards football spending (not even looking at the rest of the sports).

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 07:39 PM

Now, are you against it for just football (as a cost containment) or against it in all sports as a whole?

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Both. I think the entire coa justification is specious.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Both. I think the entire coa justification is specious.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/uni-takes-cost-of-attendance-plunge/article_19503151-9cd9-50cb-8c08-7b3a9f836293.html

Better get on the horn with Dannen.

"Division I athletics now is being redefined in a way that if you want to sit at the big boy table, this is the price to be at the big boy table," says Dannen. "If you don't, there are options for you and good options for a lot of schools. And I think as this evolves, some of the 330-odd Division I schools are going to have to make decisions about whether they're going to sit at the big boy table or not."

Man up....FCOA is legal as it stands today. NDSU has made the commitment for all sports. UNI can do the same if they want...or not.

AshevilleApp2
September 4th, 2015, 07:55 PM

I see what you are saying. But if that is the case, then provide players with some kind of on campus part time job, and reduce the load that sports take on their time, or allow them to hold a part time job in season. College students need spending money.

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2015, 07:55 PM
That is old news.He knows my feelings, as if he cares. maybe if the check had three more zeros...

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2015, 08:00 PM
That is old news.He knows my feelings, as if he cares. maybe if the check had three more zeros...

"We've added new money ($65,000) to the men's basketball and volleyball budget to provide for cost of attendance," notes UNI's Dannen. "Women's basketball is going to be providing it. Typically, they are alloted 15 scholarships and they typically don't use 15, so they'll use the money from the 15th scholarship as the source of funds for cost of attendance.

But you probably wouldn't bat an eye if you gave some token coach a 60k raise.

Yote 53
September 4th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah, USD has the money. Our USD Foundation is very good at raising money. In fact, I believe USD has the largest endowment of the Dakota schools. For years athletics were not fully invested in here. That culture has changed now. So it's an extra $600k or so a year, money well spent when your #1 advertisement to the rest of the world is your athletic dept.

I'm currently watching the Boise State game on their stupid blue turf. BSU isn't a great academic school yet everybody in the country knows about them because of their athletics.

As has been already stated by another Coyote fan, given our region of the country and what other schools are doing, not offering it would cost us even more. When you look at our recruiting lists the other schools we compete with are not only the other Dakota schools but often times you'll see Big Ten schools sniffing around those players. We have to offer FCOA to compete.

nodak651
September 4th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Yeah, USD has the money. Our USD Foundation is very good at raising money. In fact, I believe USD has the largest endowment of the Dakota schools. For years athletics were not fully invested in here. That culture has changed now. So it's an extra $600k or so a year, money well spent when your #1 advertisement to the rest of the world is your athletic dept.

I'm currently watching the Boise State game on their stupid blue turf. BSU isn't a great academic school yet everybody in the country knows about them because of their athletics.

As has been already stated by another Coyote fan, given our region of the country and what other schools are doing, not offering it would cost us even more. When you look at our recruiting lists the other schools we compete with are not only the other Dakota schools but often times you'll see Big Ten schools sniffing around those players. We have to offer FCOA to compete.
UND is at 230m as of spring 2015. USD was 180m as of 2013. Do you know what USD currently stands at?

Drblankstare
September 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I just wish the split would happen already. Those schools that feel FCOA is a bad idea can stay, the rest who pay it out can join up with the bottom tier of FBS. Create the new 2nd level have a playoff etc. Its time to get this over with.

Good for USD by the way.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I like that

Bisonator
September 4th, 2015, 10:28 PM
UNI whiners better face reality. You aren't just recruiting against FCS schools.

goyotes
January 12th, 2016, 05:26 PM
UNI whiners better face reality. You aren't just recruiting against FCS schools.

Below is a link to a tweet from Sonny Onken that says UNI offered him a 4 year full ride plus cost of living
https://twitter.com/Sondog/status/676824810203291648

clenz
January 12th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Called it

With the change of AD didn't think it would be this year.

UNI also landed a kid from MN with offers from 2 FCOA schools.

January 12th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Over 4 grand to live in Vermillion?

Bull****.

You could buy half that city for that price.

Not if you include the beer budget.

Twentysix
January 12th, 2016, 06:21 PM
UND is at 230m as of spring 2015. USD was 180m as of 2013. Do you know what USD currently stands at?

In 2014 UND was 198m, USD was 207m. USD likely still has the larger endowment today.

centennial
January 12th, 2016, 06:31 PM
The MVFC + UND + Liberty arms race is going to hurt the rest of the FCS.

ST_Lawson
January 12th, 2016, 08:21 PM
The MVFC + UND + Liberty arms race is going to hurt the rest of the FCS.

Also could be rough on those of us in the MVFC who can't (currently) afford to offer FCOA.

nodak651
January 13th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Also could be rough on those of us in the MVFC who can't (currently) afford to offer FCOA.

It should actually help you - quality losses, right!?

BisonTru
January 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/yTIo9AfHLSL6M/giphy.gif

ST_Lawson
January 13th, 2016, 03:15 PM

I think we had enough "quality" in our losses already.