PDA

View Full Version : Move aside USD, here come the Coyotes

Shockerman
November 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
USD (University of South Dakota) has just officially declared that are moving to DI with UND. I think it was a forgone conlcusion but it begs the question, will the real USD please stand up, please stand up?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/NEWS/61129018

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2006, 03:07 PM
At least this USD will probally actually play a decent schedule.

pantherclaw
November 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Hey Shockerman, what's the status of the talks about WSU bringing back football, i know earlier this year there was talk, what's happened with that talk, or was it just the typical "nothing to do in the fall" talk

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2006, 03:15 PM
What is the Shox status, I would love for them to get back in football.

Shockerman
November 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Shockerman, what's the status of the talks about WSU bringing back football, i know earlier this year there was talk, what's happened with that talk, or was it just the typical "nothing to do in the fall" talk

The latest is no news. There are two groups that are privately raising funds, The Shocker black and Golds and SOS, (Support our Shockers). Both groups are having problems with the current President. The black and golds have a donor ready to go with 10 million but the Prez turned it down. This has really angered a lot of alumni. Remember, ODU started football up again with a five million dollar donation. The basic plan at WSU is to fully endow all scholarships needed before a fundraising campaign has begun. From my understanding they have made good progress in this area...The new movie out "This is Marshall" has really hit home here in Ta-town as people are asking where did they go right were we went wrong. Stay tuned. If I hear anything I will post here. Football at WSU will happen. The goal is to bring it back so that it won't ever be in the red and bog down the Athletic department again.

pantherclaw
November 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
hmmm.......so possible new gateway member, which could mean the MVC brings in football.....but hold the phone, i don't think the MVC wants that, b/c then they are once again associated with "mid-majors." JMT, want to hear what others think

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
The latest is no news. There are two groups that are privately raising funds, The Shocker black and Golds and SOS, (Support our Shockers). Both groups are having problems with the current President. The black and golds have a donor ready to go with 10 million but the Prez turned it down. This has really angered a lot of alumni. Remember, ODU started football up again with a five million dollar donation. The basic plan at WSU is to fully endow all scholarships needed before a fundraising campaign has begun. From my understanding they have made good progress in this area...The new movie out "This is Marshall" has really hit home here in Ta-town as people are asking where did they go right were we went wrong. Stay tuned. If I hear anything I will post here. Football at WSU will happen. The goal is to bring it back so that it won't ever be in the red and bog down the Athletic department again.

Sounds good. We need a rival for all-sports.

AggiePride
November 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Hoping the GWFC sticks together and goes to 7 teams with UND and USD in the mix.

NDSUFREAK
November 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM
At least this USD will probally actually play a decent schedule.

Oh yeah. USD will play a competitive schedule. They will TRY to compete and catch up to SDSU.

SDSU fans, we are the reall rivalry. When und and usd come to call.....well.....we'll be waiting!:thumbsup:

AmsterBison
November 29th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Welcome aboard, Coyotes!

School name: University of South Dakota
Nickname: Coyotes (two syllables, not three)
Home field: Dakota Dome (seats 10000)

AggiePride
November 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard, Coyotes!

School name: University of South Dakota
Nickname: Coyotes (two syllables, not three)
Home field: Dakota Dome (seats 10000)

You can't force me to speak like you guys. No way. :p

Ky-ote-E!

MplsBison
November 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
The Gateway wants more members. That's the bottom line.

If WSU and, say, Drake were ready to step forward within a reasonable amount of time, I don't think the Gateway would have any interest in NDSU/SDSU and would wait for the MVC teams.

But as far as I know, there is no such stepping.

That said, if the Gateway offers NDSU/SDSU, they're gone from the Great West.

Obviously UND and USD would be able to step in and take their place, but that still only leaves the conference with 5 members. If San Diego joins, that'd be 6 but I haven't heard anything about them wanting to join. In either case, that's not enough for autobid consideration.

ereiz03
November 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
It's alright....those in the non-1AA football world know who the REAL USD is. :p

igo4uni
November 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
The black and golds have a donor ready to go with 10 million but the Prez turned it down.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will withdrawal my pledge money and give it all to UNI unless the Prez sees things my way!!xcoffeex

MplsBison
November 29th, 2006, 06:03 PM
It's alright....those in the non-1AA football world know who the REAL USD is. :p

They do?

www.usd.edu - "Welcome to The University of South Dakota"

ToreroTime
November 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I am pretty sure San Diego county has a larger population than both the Dakota's put together, so I am not worried about anything.

Bison_Kent
November 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Here are a couple images of the Dakota Dome. I have been there for a couple games in the past. It isn't bad but only holds 10,000.

http://www.usd.edu/admissions/images/Other/InsideDome3.jpg

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/images/dome/2004/goalposts-dak.jpg

slostang
November 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Is there only seating on one side for football? What is the typical attendance for a home football game? It is not huge, but it looks nice.

No_Skill
November 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I am pretty sure San Diego county has a larger population than both the Dakota's put together, so I am not worried about anything.

Wow...how elitist of you. :thumbsup:

It is true that SD County has a higher pop. than both Dakotas combined, but how many of them care about Torero football? My guess is that there are more fans of any of the Dakota Schools per capita than there are fans of U of San Diego. Proof: of the four top universities in the Dakotas the U of South Dakota has the smallest football stadium at 10,000. The U of San Diego...6,000.

NDSUFREAK
November 29th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well then you guys should schedule USD so it is USD vs USD. I am pretty sure that USD would win......South Dakota that is. ;)

roadwarrior
November 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM
They have seating on both sides for football. The smaller picture shows the bleachers on the west side of the field and the east side has the permanent seating.

USD also plays their basketball games in there. Not a good setup.

sdgriz24
November 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Here are a couple images of the Dakota Dome. I have been there for a couple games in the past. It isn't bad but only holds 10,000.

http://www.usd.edu/admissions/images/Other/InsideDome3.jpg

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/images/dome/2004/goalposts-dak.jpg

It isn't bad there.I've been there a couple times,about 3 years in a row now.The State Championships in high school is played there.

chattanoogamocs
November 29th, 2006, 10:27 PM
current temp at the U: 10 degrees Buuuurrrrr.

current temp at the home of the national championship game: 64 degrees

(now if it would just be this warm in two weeks)

bkrownd
November 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM
You can't force me to speak like you guys. No way. :p

Ky-ote-E!

I still find it hard to say "Peer" for Peirre, and I live with a SD native who says it at me all the time.

bkrownd
November 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM

It's no problem:

USD = South Dakota
U$D = San Diego

Just like we've been differentiating South Carolina (USC) from Southern Cal (U$C) on the internet successfully for decades.