PDA

View Full Version : NC State Receiver Transfers to JMU

JMU Duke Dog
July 1st, 2005, 07:47 AM
JMU has received at least two transfers this summer. The first one was offensive lineman Mike Parham from Virginia Tech. The second one is wide receiver Chris Hawkins from NC State. Below is an article from Harrisonburg's local newspaper on Chris Hawkins.

By Mike Barber from the Daily News-Record:

The highlight of Chris Hawkins’ two years at North Carolina State was his 34-yard touchdown catch against Virginia in 2003. Hawkins, who transferred to James Madison this summer, hopes to have a more productive impact with the reigning Division I-AA football champions.

"I felt there was a need to move on," Hawkins said Thursday, declining to elaborate. "Different issues, I just felt better to move on to James Madison. It was a better opportunity."

Hawkins, who has been at JMU since May and is already taking classes, will have two years of eligibility for the Dukes. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound wide receiver from Henderson, N.C., caught just nine passes for 89 yards and one touchdown in two seasons for the Wolfpack.

"We’re always looking for more offensive firepower," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Thursday. "He had played a lot as a freshman at N.C. State and didn’t play as much last year."

Hawkins’ playing time dipped from his freshman to his sophomore year, and he withdrew from school without completing the spring semester, he said.

N.C. State coaches were not available for comment. Hawkins’ wide receivers coach there, Doc Holliday, is now an assistant at Florida. Holliday did not return a phone message Thursday.

Hawkins said he chose N.C. State out of Southern Vance High School in Henderson over Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Wake Forest. When it was time to transfer, he said the I-AA national champions were the only team he seriously considered.

Matthews said "close friends" on the N.C. State coaching staff helped him lure Hawkins to JMU. But Hawkins said he came because his brother went to high school with former Madison player Richard Hicks.

Also, Hawkins said his grandmother lives nearby in Woodstock.

Hawkins took a business course in the first summer session and plans to major in kinesiology.

At JMU, he’ll join a passing attack that played second-fiddle to the Dukes’ dominating running game last fall. The team ranked next-to-last in the Atlantic 10 in passing, averaging 154.7 yards per game, but was second in the conference and 20th in the nation in rushing offense, pounding out 212.9 yards per game on the ground.

The Dukes return talented pass-catchers from last year’s team, including D.D. Boxley, their top receiver, and highly regarded L.C. Baker. As a freshman, Baker caught 18 passes for 135 yards. Boxley, a rising junior, caught 44 passes for 636 yards and five touchdowns, all team highs.

Hawkins is the second Division I transfer JMU is adding as it looks to defend its title. Virginia Tech offensive lineman Mike Parham joined Madison this summer, too.

Hawkins also is JMU’s second N.C. State transfer in recent years. Quarterback Charles Berry transferred to Madison in Matthews’ first season, 1999. In two years, he threw for 2,301 yards, ranking eighth all-time.

Another transfer quarterback, Justin Rascati from Louisville, led the Dukes to the 2004 national title. Other transfers haven’t contributed as much.

MR. CHICKEN
July 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM
DUH DAWG POUND......TRANSFER U. :nod:..............BRAWK!

JMU Duke Dog
July 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM
DUH DAWG POUND......TRANSFER U. :nod:..............BRAWK!

I would say that Delaware is "Transfer U." of the Atlantic 10. Also, Massachusetts has at least seven Division I-A transfers joining their football team in 2005.

HensRock
July 1st, 2005, 08:18 AM
I would say that Delaware is "Transfer U." of the Atlantic 10. Also, Massachusetts has at least seven Division I-A transfers joining their football team in 2005.

How can you make those two statements in the same breath? Delaware has 2 TWO transfers in 2005, we had 2 TWO in 2004, and WE'RE Transfer U.?

This is really getting old