PDA

View Full Version : Best Teams that are not in the D-I Playoffs

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm a long-time UNH guy, but I am SO-O-O sick of the infantile smack going on between UNH and UMASS fans over on that game thread. So, let's talk about something hopefully less inflammatory & much more thought provoking and fun.

In my mind, three best teams NOT in the playoffs are NDSU (not eligible), Portland St. & UMAINE.

NDSU would obviously be seeded #1 or #2 if eligible this year. The Bison were simply over-powering all season and had that awful 1 point loss to Big 10 Minnesota as their only blemish. Other than close win over UC-Davis (UNH fans know how good UC-D can be from last year), there really wasn't any drama all season, except for the gut-wrencher vs the Golden Gophers (which NDSU should have won!)

Don't know a lot about PSU, but seems like they shot themselves in the foot with 3 1-A games which resulted in 2 losses to Pac10 powers Cal and Oregon. Should have played USD which would have helped both of the teams. Even at 7-4, PSU probably deserved a bid.

UMAINE is outstanding despite their pedestrian 6-5 record. Their "Black Hole" defense might just be the best in the nation despite supporters of UM, UMASS, ...... Tough loss at the wire to UMASS (10-9 on a missed PAT) and an excruciating 19-13 overtime loss to UNH (who was shut down on offense for real -- only time all year). Despite being on the field virtually all game vs 1-A Boston College (top 20 team at that point), the Black Bears defense only gave up 22 pts in a 22-0 loss.

Other than BC, the only team that really "beat" Maine was YSU -- who is now in the National Qtr Finals. (5th loss was 3-0 in an absolute monsoon to up and down Univ of Rhode Island).

Onto those teams fortunate enough to be in the Big Dance. GO UNH! :hurray:

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Their "Black Hole" defense might just be the best in the nation despite supporters of UM, UMASS

Uhhh...if you don't want smack, don't make comments like that, some people might take it the wrong way.

This UMass fan certainly has nothing bad to say about Maine - I'd put their D against against any playoff teams O.

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM
1.) NDSU -- (obviously, but they are ineligible)
2.) UNI -- Beating playoff teams ISU and YSU and giving Iowa State a run for their money
3.) PSU -- 7-4 with a 1-A win
4.) SDSU -- Can't forget about the other Dakota
5.) UMaine -- Most of their losses were to tough teams

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I'm a long-time UNH guy, but I am SO-O-O sick of the infantile smack going on between UNH and UMASS fans over on that game thread. So, let's talk about something hopefully less inflammatory & much more thought provoking and fun.

In my mind, three best teams NOT in the playoffs are NDSU (not eligible), Portland St. & UMAINE.

NDSU would obviously be seeded #1 or #2 if eligible this year. The Bison were simply over-powering all season and had that awful 1 point loss to Big 10 Minnesota as their only blemish. Other than close win over UC-Davis (UNH fans know how good UC-D can be from last year), there really wasn't any drama all season, except for the gut-wrencher vs the Golden Gophers (which NDSU should have won!)

Don't know a lot about PSU, but seems like they shot themselves in the foot with 3 1-A games which resulted in 2 losses to Pac10 powers Cal and Oregon. Should have played USD which would have helped both of the teams. Even at 7-4, PSU probably deserved a bid.

UMAINE is outstanding despite their pedestrian 6-5 record. Their "Black Hole" defense might just be the best in the nation despite supporters of UM, UMASS, ...... Tough loss at the wire to UMASS (10-9 on a missed PAT) and an excruciating 19-13 overtime loss to UNH (who was shut down on offense for real -- only time all year). Despite being on the field virtually all game vs 1-A Boston College (top 20 team at that point), the Black Bears defense only gave up 22 pts in a 22-0 loss.

Other than BC, the only team that really "beat" Maine was YSU -- who is now in the National Qtr Finals. (5th loss was 3-0 in an absolute monsoon to up and down Univ of Rhode Island).

Onto those teams fortunate enough to be in the Big Dance. GO UNH! :hurray:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We are talking about a 6-5 team?

Lafayette made the field at 6-5 with an auto-bid... lost games to very good, tough teams in close calls... yet they get no respect

..go figure...

Yet, if we went 11-0 people would probably have been saying the same things last week.

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 09:05 AM
NDSU, end of story. The others had their chance and didn't perform on the field. NDSU performed on the field but were locked out by an NCAA rule that didn't exist not too long ago. I don't want to start another thread about "they knew the deal" because I know the deal too. I just think the rule sux and all defenses of the rule have been soundly defeated in other threads.

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2006, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=Pard4LifeLafayette made the field at 6-5 with an auto-bid... lost games to very good, tough teams in close calls... yet they get no respect

..go figure...

Yet, if we went 11-0 people would probably have been saying the same things last week.[/QUOTE]

You want to know why you get no respect?

Wins over Sacred Heart, Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown & Lehigh. You went a hefty 0-4 against the Ivy League. That's why, plain & simple.

Lafayette has had better teams, the '04 team that lost against UD & the '05 team that lost against ASU were respectable, but you can't tell me the '06 version was as good, you just can't.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Uhhh...if you don't want smack, don't make comments like that, some people might take it the wrong way.

This UMass fan certainly has nothing bad to say about Maine - I'd put their D against against any playoff teams O.

Sorry for the misinterpretation of my comment. Offering an opinion as to a team being #1, #2 or 3 in the nation in terms of team defense isn't meant to diminish those clubs' accomplishments or ability. Just giving due to UMAINE for their accomplishments which -- because of their 6-5 record -- tend to go unappreciated.

stuperman17
November 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM
We all know why SDSU isn't in...I think it was just hard to take 4 teams from 1 conference, which is the reason why a very boarderline team like UNI didn't get in. UNI's good, but they just didn't put on the field every week...The only thing i Know about maine is that YSU beat them by 20 earlier in the season, and that was one of our easier games...they may have gotten it together, but i really dont know

Appattk
November 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
If we're talking about teams that were barely passed over you can't dispute the Wofford Terriers.

With "almost" wins against South Carolina & App State, they most likely would've put up more of fight than several of the blown out teams from Round 1.

UNH 40
November 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
NDSU is the best team in the country in my opinion. They beat some very talented teams convincingly and almost beat Bowl bound Minnesota. With out a doubt they are the best team not in the playoffs.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
You want to know why you get no respect?

Wins over Sacred Heart, Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown & Lehigh. You went a hefty 0-4 against the Ivy League. That's why, plain & simple.

Lafayette has had better teams, the '04 team that lost against UD & the '05 team that lost against ASU were respectable, but you can't tell me the '06 version was as good, you just can't.

I know that, but people are just looking at the 6-5 record, unlike yourself who seems to have knowledge about that 6-5, and label it as crap without looking what it means. Merely pointing out the double-standard here.

Also, we beat Richmond in both 2004 and 2005. That surely help. And yes our defense was not as good as the past years and the offense failed us some games.

But yes, by far NDSU is the best team not in the field.

OL FU
November 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I almost hate to say this because of where it might lead. But I don't the the playoffs are an attempt to get the best 16 teams. Well that's probably not correct, it is set up to make the attempt with the understanding of how impossible that is. Therefore we have the auto bids. There is no guarantee from year to year that a conference will "deserve" an auto bid. Also, there really is not a good objective way to measure conference and individual team strengths against the rest of the I-AA world within a given year. The PL does not play the BSC, the BSC does not play the A-10 so forth and so on.

With that said, I think the only team truly deserving to be in the playoffs that did not get in was NDSU and we all know why.

NorthDakotaBison
November 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM
With that said, I think the only team truly deserving to be in the playoffs that did not get in was NDSU and we all know why.

that is the most anti-semitic comment i've ever read.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM

:confused:

OL FU
November 29th, 2006, 10:22 AM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Not to redundant of my earlier post, but there is only one team that could be considered the best to not be in. The question was best, not eligible. There's no question...

AGS
4. North Dakota St (2)
15. Northern Iowa
18. Portland St

CSN COACHES POLL
4. North Dakota State 10-1 243 4
15. Northern Iowa 7-4 103 21
19. Portland State 7-4 85 20

The Sports Network 2006 I-AA Top 25 Poll
4. North Dakota State (5) 10-1 1,808
17. Northern Iowa 7-4 732
20. Portland State 7-4 568

bison95
November 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NorthDakotaBison
November 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM
:) :rotateh:

OL FU
November 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am glad I am not the only one.
I know what anti-semitic means but I was so confused I looked it up in the dictionary just to make sure:eyebrow: :confused:

NorthDakotaBison
November 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm just screwing with you OL FU.

Bison05
November 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM

NorthDakotaBison, maybe you can do a little better than that explainning your post. :rolleyes:

OL FU
November 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I am from the south.

I have travelled all over this country and met many people that assume the know my prejudices before I even shake their hand. Even on this board (Where are you Cap'n:D )

I am over protective of that part of my reputation, even that part of OL FU's reputation

:smiley_wi

OL FU
November 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm just screwing with you OL FU.

No problem:thumbsup:

NorthDakotaBison
November 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM
(you're a good man, ol fu)

Jackluv
November 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM
1. NDSU
2. PSU
3. UMAINE
4. UNI
5. SDSU
6. NAU haha murrieta in the playoffs would mean a WP award

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Heck, if Appy St slips in the playoffs I may very well be inclined to vote NDSU #1 in my final AGS poll submission, depending on who wins the NC and how. Can't say that about any other team who's not in the playoffs. :nod:

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Heck, if Appy St slips in the playoffs I may very well be inclined to vote NDSU #1 in my final AGS poll submission, depending on who wins the NC and how. Can't say that about any other team who's not in the playoffs. :nod:

Who would've thunk it? A 1-AA split NC?

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM
The reason I think the NC should always get the #1 spot is they will have beaten more ranked teams in four weeks than most would all year. :twocents:

bison95
November 29th, 2006, 11:11 AM
The reason I think the NC should always get the #1 spot is they will have beaten more ranked teams in four weeks than most would all year. :twocents:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Cleets
November 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Well that tops them all...
I've fianlly found the stupidest thing in print...

Let's see,
1-AA prides it'self on the playoff system to provide a true #1

and now we get this...Fu&#ing shoot me right now!

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Let's see,

Can I be first? This is a genuine concern but it's only because of a very rare circumstance. A I-AA team that plays a good schedule and goes undefeated to I-AA's and nearly beat a Big 10 team but is ineligible for the playoffs. Imagine if NDSU had played and beaten Montana and YSU or ISU during the season and those were your NC and Runner-up. Not saying they would have beaten them but it's certainly not far-fetched.

This can't happen with the Ivy or SWAC... because they don't play the schedule to be this highly ranked. It can't happen with NEC, PLF, MAAC... because if they did play a schedule this tough with those results, they would be IN the playoffs.

As I said, this is a very rare circumstance, but it doesn't make Gannon's point any less valid.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Let's see,

Hey, I'm not the one who came up with the silly rule that NDSU had to sit out 5 years before they could compete for the title after announcing the move up from DII. Without that rule NDSU would be in the playoffs right now proving me right or wrong.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Again, I can't fault NDSU for being screwed by a silly rule by the NCAA - this isn't like USD ducking good teams with a weak schedule - USD did that to themselves - NDSU is at the mercy of a poorly thought out rule. Plus, they played a decent schedule nonetheless. And what if Montana St pulls off the impossible and becomes the first BSC team other than the Griz to win the title since almost the dawn of time (well, I-AA at least)? Should I vote Montana St, with 4 losses, including a 45-0 shellacking by UC Davis who finished next to last in the mighty GWFC that NDSU ruled (I mean that seriously btw) - just because they played well in a 4 game spot in late November/December I should elevate them above NDSU?

Hey, I fully recognize this goes against the tenets of I-AA (CS) football, where the playoffs normally decide all - but in this case it's the result of silly beaurocratic rules that are often not an issue when deciding a NC.

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I guess then we'd have to rehash the 'is ranking based on resume or potential' agruement again. I think with all games played, it has to be on resume. :twocents:

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Again, I can't fault NDSU for being screwed by a silly rule by the NCAA - this isn't like USD ducking good teams with a weak schedule - USD did that to themselves - NDSU is at the mercy of a poorly thought out rule. Plus, they played a decent schedule nonetheless. And what if Montana St pulls off the impossible and becomes the first BSC team other than the Griz to win the title since almost the dawn of time (well, I-AA at least)? Should I vote Montana St, with 4 losses, including a 45-0 shellacking by UC Davis who finished next to last in the mighty GWFC that NDSU ruled (I mean that seriously btw) - just because they played well in a 4 game spot in late November/December I should elevate them above NDSU?

Hey, I fully recognize this goes against the tenets of I-AA (CS) football, where the playoffs normally decide all - but in this case it's the result of silly beaurocratic rules that are often not an issue when deciding a NC.

Hey, be careful here. You are starting to sound like our tradition-bound, money hungry 1-A brethren of the BCS. NDSU, as wrong as it is, is not eligible for to be NC this year. If MSU (or anyone else) pulls off a 4-0 Tourney record, then they are official and legitimate NC's, just like the winner of the infinitely more enlightened NCAA Basketball, Baseball, or Soccer (ugh, hate to say that word! :D ) world.

bkrownd
November 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
2.) UNI -- Beating playoff teams ISU and YSU and giving Iowa State a run for their money

Iowa State had a HORRIBLE season. It was such a horrible season that the most successful coach in the program's history was fired because of it! Why are people here so fixated on how they did against terrible I-A teams? Teams like Northwestern, Duke and Iowa State were pathetic this year, but people here try to pump them up to sound like it was a David vs. Goliath story.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Hey, be careful here. You are starting to sound like our tradition-bound, money hungry 1-A brethren of the BCS. NDSU, as wrong as it is, is not eligible for to be NC this year. If MSU (or anyone else) pulls off a 4-0 Tourney record, then they are official and legitimate NC's, just like the winner of the infinitely more enlightened NCAA Basketball, Baseball, or Soccer (ugh, hate to say that word! :D ) world.

How do I sound like a BCS guy???? And for the record, I have no power to make anyone the National Champion - that of course is awarded through the playoff system and the NCAA. However, I do have a vote in the AGS CS Poll and while I could vote them #1, that won't jeopardize any trophy for the playoff winner, assuming Ralph hasn't come into money and is now ponying up a shiny trophy for that team. ;)

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I do have a vote in the AGS CS Poll and while I could vote them #1, that won't jeopardize any trophy for the playoff winner, assuming Ralph hasn't come into money and is now ponying up a shiny trophy for that team. ;)
Blasphemy. We all know that teams regard the #1 spot in the AGS as the pinnacle of I-AA. The stupid board with the brass plate is secondary.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Blasphemy. We all know that teams regard the #1 spot in the AGS as the pinnacle of I-AA. The stupid board with the brass plate is secondary.

Sadly, there is a deluded element that exists in the world that truly believes the GPI to be a superior measurement to the AGS poll. I know, the horror. xidiotx

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Sadly, there is a deluded element that exists in the world that truly believes the GPI to be a superior measurement to the AGS poll. I know, the horror. xidiotx
Not after the 5 of 8 performance this year. :p

Cleets
November 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Should I vote Montana St, with 4 losses, including a 45-0 shellacking by UC Davis who finished next to last in the mighty GWFC that NDSU ruled (I mean that seriously btw) - just because they played well in a 4 game spot in late November/December I should elevate them above NDSU?

Well that's just great...

Don't tell the St. Louis Cardinals, but they're really the 5th place team in MLB, never mind the fact that they won the world series, they're just not that good.

And Montana State should pack their bags and go home...

You're a real piece of work (nice)
Well I certainly completely disagree with your perspective

Go...gate
November 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Forgetting the stupid Ivy League playoff ban, Princeton deserves to be considered in this category at 9-1 and Ivy Champion (with a win over the other co-champion and the Patriot League Champion). IMO, they would have competed well in the playoffs.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Forgetting the stupid Ivy League playoff ban, Princeton deserves to be considered in this category at 9-1 and Ivy Champion (with a win over the other co-champion and the Patriot League Champion). IMO, they would have competed well in the playoffs.

You may very right in your assessment. However, until the Ancient 8 and their equally Ancient Presidential prejudices against football gain some enlightenment, we will disappointingly never know. I'll bet some of Tim Murphy's Harvard teams from the last few years (including his 10-0 squad) would also liked to have dipped their collective toes into the FCS playoffs waters, as well.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Mount Union, jk

Cleets
November 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I live with that situation yearly as well, Harvard in 2004 would have done the Ivy league proud, however...

The teams that play in the tourney are the only teams that matter right now, and anything less than that is distructive to the system and serves only to lessen the importance of 1-AA as a whole...

North Dakota will get a shot when they get a shot, untill then, so what about them...

of course this is all just my opinion, just 2 censt of value (if you will)

No_Skill
November 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I live with that situation yearly as well, Harvard in 2004 would have done the Ivy league proud, however...

The teams that play in the tourney are the only teams that matter right now, and anything less than that is distructive to the system and serves only to lessen the importance of 1-AA as a whole...

North Dakota will get a shot when they get a shot, untill then, so what about them...

of course this is all just my opinion, just 2 censt of value (if you will)

That statement sounds a little fascist, just my 2 censt...if you will.

Cleets
November 29th, 2006, 06:07 PM
That statement sounds a little fascist, just my 2 censt...if you will.

And I would totally agree with you if MY TEAM was not automatically (annually) disqualified every year no matter what, then you’d have a point...

I deal with what you are only temporarily strapped with every year FOREVER, and yet somehow, I'm able to support the system as it stands...

you might want to write this down:
as it stands today I see the 1-AA playoff system as a divine and beautiful thing...

1-AA playoff facts

- Elegant in it's simplicity
- Yet brutal in it's "no excuses - no tomorrow" approach
- Graceful in it's pre-qualifying dance
- fervent in it's support and undying fellowship
- Cruel in it's exclusions
- utterly perfect

Print it boys
~Cleets out

No_Skill
November 29th, 2006, 09:20 PM
There isn't a system on earth that is "utterly perfect". Not to mention that fact that perfection in this case is, and always will be, subjective.

3yards
November 30th, 2006, 12:08 AM
USD (San Diego) was a contender for the playoffs and would have made a great showing. San Diego beat Yale easily, not even close. Yale tied for Co-Champs of IVY crushing Harvard.
I still think UCDavis is playoff worthy, just played too tough a schedule.

LeopardFan04
November 30th, 2006, 01:26 AM
And I would totally agree with you if MY TEAM was not automatically (annually) disqualified every year no matter what, then you’d have a point...

Get your schools to change! I know that's very easy to say and it'll probably never happen...but it's misleading to say that you are disqualified...you aren't disqualified, your schools choose not to participate...

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM

North Dakota will be eligible in 2012,

but North Dakota State will be eligible in 2008 :)

Cleets
November 30th, 2006, 07:53 AM
There isn't a system on earth that is "utterly perfect". Not to mention that fact that perfection in this case is, and always will be, subjective.

Wow!
You've got quite a lively sense of humor (not) ...

Only Mathematics is not subjective... And since we're really not dealing with math (excusing the GPI) we kinda need to work with what we've got...also,
You're kind of missing the point I was trying to make, not to mention that I was trying to be light hearted about it as well...

89Hen
November 30th, 2006, 08:16 AM
UCDavis is playoff worthy, just played too tough a schedule.
Rather interesting statement. You do know that in the playoffs you faced ranked I-AA teams. Comma Davis had a good schedule, but had only one I-A opponent, first year UCA, the two worst teams in the Big Sky and non-schollie USD. I don't think 6-5 with that schedule is anywhere near playoff worthy. :twocents: