PDA

View Full Version : Worst Football Article I've Ever Read.

ncguitarplyr
November 28th, 2006, 09:45 PM
im an app fan but what the hell is the point of this article...we're in the quarterfinals of the div-I playoffs with a great shot at winning the national championship for the second year in a row and this is what he comes up with?! An article on how app would match up with football teams from crappy movies?

from goasu.com

"Apps Ready for the Silver Screen?
by David Jackson (Associate Athletics Director)

November 28, 2006 - The holidays offer us so many things – a chance to be thankful for what we have, time with family, endless blessings and a never-ending lineup of sports movies on TV. While the Appalachian football team prepares for quarterfinal round action in the NCAA Division I Football Championship, it became obvious over Thanksgiving, after seeing several football movies, these Apps are ready for the silver screen. Here are a few of matchups that are made for TV.

1. ASU Defense vs. School Ties offense – No problems here, as the Apps adjust to a blocking fullback (Charlie Dillon) and an offense void of playmakers. David Green has a good arm, but St. Luke’s does not possess the athletes to be able to keep the pressure off the pocket and generate any meaningful drives.

2. ASU Offense vs. Varsity Blues defense – This matchup is a little tough to dissect as we don’t know much about the Coyotes defense other than they had to rely on Billy Bob switching sides to get the key stop at the end of the movie. If Billy Bob stays on defense, he still will struggle to get past Kerry Brown, Scott Suttle and Jeremy Robertson in the interior. Armanti Edwards’ ability to run, especially inside the tackles, could expose a fairly unathletic front seven (once again, Billy Bob brings them down). The Apps should be able to stretch the field after winning the battle in the trenches, leading Bud Kilmer to unpack his defensive playbook from his personal belongings as he tries to solve the ASU offense.

3. Varsity Blues Offense vs. ASU Defense – This is a better matchup because the Coyotes actually have a few good athletes. We know from the movie that Wendell Brown will be heavily relied upon between the 20s, yet it seemed most of his yards came by getting outside, which will be difficult against ASU’s speedy ends. Once inside the 20s, Johnny Moxon will head to the air and try to find Charlie Tweeder off the edge. If he gets behind the linebackers, Tweeder could pose some problems as he seems to be a gritty receiver that will go after anything. He becomes an interesting matchup with Jeremy Wiggins, who is more than capable of neutralizing the crafty pass catcher. Gonzalez (never heard his first name) is a solid tight end from a size standpoint, but after only one catch in the movie, you wonder if the pressure of going against the ASU linebackers on a drag will play with him mentally.
* - Intangible – Who is calling the plays? If injured Lance Harbour remains on the sideline, expect to see the Coyotes to pass more to Brown out of the backfield. If it’s Kilmer calling plays, offensive unrest will break out and the battle-hardened Apps will have their way with a bickering team.

4. Remember the Titans Offense vs. ASU Defense – Quality matchup for your Thanksgiving-time enjoyment here. Another for the what-if file: If Jerry Harris (Rev) is under center, the Titans lose some ability to stretch the defense. However, expect ASU to have problems with the veere on the first drive until they can actually see it unfold in front of them. John Wiley and Co. adjust, and hopefully with a good offensive showing, the Apps force Harris to throw more.

If Ronnie Bass is at quarterback, the matchup becomes more complex. The Titans have size inside with Blue and Louie Lastic, making the front seven fight a little harder to get a pass rush on Bass, who also shows to match pocket illusiveness with a cannon for an arm. However, Bass will struggle as he scrambles without a more talented stable of offensive players. You can’t count on Ray (H-back) to do anything team-oriented, and unless Petey Jones makes a return to the backfield, the Titans are a little thin in the “playmaker position.” Things could get interesting if Bass and Harris teamed up as running threats, but with a broken wrist, it is unrealistic to think that Harris could play for an entire game, especially after a few hard hits.

5. Remember the Titans Defense vs. ASU Offense – This is the matchup movies were made for, as strength battles strength. The Titans possess a solid pass rusher in Julius Campbell and a heady linebacker in Gerry Bertere. Those two will have to adjust their mode of attack with the read-based running threat of Richardson and Edwards.

The X-factor in this match up is, “Who plays in the defensive backfield – Alan or Petey?” If it’s Alan, expect Armanti to lob it over his head all night – ASU is too fast at receiver. Could you imagine Alan trying to contain Dexter Jackson? Not happening.

If Petey is spying in the backfield, ASU may choose to go underneath more as his defensive style is known for giving cushion before a big hit. It may not be as big-play oriented, but the attack could wear the hot-headed Jones down by the third quarter.

William Mayfield becomes a field-stretcher in this battle. If you line up Mayfield at receiver at the far left side and Daniel Bettis at tight end off the right, you force Bertere to pick one – he matches up well with both, but can’t contain both at once. If Campbell blitzes, Bettis could bump and release and find himself open for a pass catching opportunity in the seam. He could also be a great blocker for Richardson out of the backfield on a screen pass with the same defensive look.

In the end, it’s probably better to just match up with the talent Jerry Moore puts on the schedule. If we ever worked out one of these matchups, say at the spring game, ticket prices would be through the roof to account for the appearance fees.

There are obviously too many matchups to think of at once. Email me your best potential gridiron battles at [email protected] and we’ll post the best responses next week."

kardplayer
November 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
The whole article falls apart for me since Rev didn't return with his broken wrist until after Bertere was paralyzed in his car accident. There's no way #4 and #5 could both happen... ;)

Block-A
November 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
How about App State vs. Miniature Ditka? What then?

What about vs. The Longest Yard Defense? The Longest Yard offense had Burt Reynolds, so I don't know about that matchup...

MiloCat
November 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
He does realize those are high school teams, right? I don't think ASU would have much trouble.:rolleyes:

And I'm pretty sure Campbell is a DE, so he won't be doing uch blitzing.

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM
He does realize those are high school teams, right? I don't think ASU would have much trouble.:rolleyes:

And I'm pretty sure Campbell is a DE, so he won't be doing uch blitzing.

i guess app. st is weaker than we thoughtxlolx xlolx

SpreadtheRed
November 29th, 2006, 12:47 AM
wow... what?
huh?

Why?

Im confused...why did he write this? Was this actually published? Or just tossed on your website? uhhh.... you would think that an assistant athletic director would have better things to do than to write something like this...My head hurts.

TxSt02
November 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
what about against hurricane ditka?

SpreadtheRed
November 29th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Okay Bob...How bout dis one? Ditka vs. God...

hmmm...

hmmm.....

Trick Question...Ditka is God.

boonedocks
November 29th, 2006, 02:26 AM
who do you like in the indianapolis 500, if the bears are in a bus, and Ditka's driving?

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2006, 08:20 AM
That guy has WAY too much time on his hands.:rolleyes:

Cleets
November 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM
That borders on the stupidest thing ever to make it into print...xlolx

psc2445
November 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM
who do you like in the indianapolis 500, if the bears are in a bus, and Ditka's driving?

bears by a tailhair

HiHiYikas
November 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
This article doesn't make sense to me, since I do not watch football movies (or sports movies in general, usually). There are only about 2 or 3 sports movie plots. I've seen one of each, so I'm good.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Was he playing a drinking game when he came up with this one? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: : smh :

AggiePride
November 29th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Damn, he forgot "ASU vs. The Little Giants".

APPSTER
November 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Here's a good matchup - Appalachian vs. 22 8x10 pictures of Wa-Griz Stadium:)

DinoDex200
November 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Here's a good matchup - Appalachian vs. 22 8x10 pictures of Wa-Griz Stadium:)

Glossy?

APPSTER
November 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Glossy?

There are 3 types of Wa-Griz pics that have been cleared by the NCAA to play....glossy, black & white, and "glamour shots."

I'm fairly certain that the glossies would all play offense and the B&W play defense. The glamour shots play on special teams.

soweagle
November 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm begining to think I know who came up with the "hot hot hot" video.:D

SpreadtheRed
November 29th, 2006, 01:41 PM

haha Nice!
Little Giants - 86
ASU - 0
(no disrespect to ASU at all, but damn, those little kids sure can play football! But only if that chick Icebox plays, otherwise, ASU Blowout)

Plus they need to run the Annexation of Puerto Rico.

danefan
November 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
There are 3 types of Wa-Griz pics that have been cleared by the NCAA to play....glossy, black & white, and "glamour shots."

I'm fairly certain that the glossies would all play offense and the B&W play defense. The glamour shots play on special teams.

Correction - only "Glamour Shots by Deb" are allowed.
Average glamour shots play at MSU. :smiley_wi

APPSTER
November 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Correction - only "Glamour Shots by Deb" are allowed.
Average glamour shots play at MSU. :smiley_wi

What was I thinking? Anyone who knows anything about Wa-Griz should know that. My bad.

CamelCityYosef
November 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I thought ASU vs. The Little Giants was this weekend...xlolx

MountaineerDrive
November 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Ugghhh, dumb. He's a nice guy and is usually a good writer. His previews of the playoff field were really well done. I guess he was made to write something about ASU and the movies since "We are Marshall" is coming out. That article is just terrible.

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
ASU vs. Rudy(all by himself)

CamelCityYosef
November 29th, 2006, 08:29 PM
ASU vs. Rudy(all by himself)

The problem is waiting until Rudy's senior year for the match-up...xlolx

hApPYaPpYFan
November 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Any of you ASU fans know if there is any family relationship between the Pro John Lynch and Cory Lynch ?

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I really hope whoever wrote this article does a little more research before the next time he writes. Betere? That is the incorrect spelling. The correct spelling is Bertier.

Appguy
November 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Any of you ASU fans know if there is any family relationship between the Pro John Lynch and Cory Lynch ?
no relation i believe

appman87
November 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I'm begining to think I know who came up with the "hot hot hot" video.:D
Please have mercy on us. Don't Appalachian State University on the content of the hot, hot, hot video.