PDA

View Full Version : JMU 2007

JMU_Fan_2007
November 28th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Soooo.... Since there's not much left for this year...

How 'bout JMU in 2007? Rascatti will be missed sorely, but what about Rodney Landers? Landers averaged 9.2 yards per carry on 24 rushing attempts this year. It looks like JMU will probably run an option offense, much like Villanova used the second half of this year. At least that's what they've used so far. Rockeed McCarter looks to be a star in the making as well. Mike Causin at TE could be a big factor, and thankfully Holloman has one more year.

The defense probably has more questions than the offense. The front 6 lose 4 of 6 starters from this year. The secondary was young this year and looks to improve; Scotty McGee will be a superstar. I mean, just for his name, he has to be. Lezotte is back at saftey. We'll see who steps in at LB and on the D line.

Thoughts? Concerns? Somebody get ride of Evan McCollough is all I ask...

chiapet9
November 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
i'm anxious to see what Landers will be able to do. It will be hard for fans because he's not Rascati, but I'd like to see him run the ball like Justin did this year. LeZotte still has one more year (thank God) and McGee is a young young kid - so he's got lots of promise. I'm excited - I can't wait to get my tickets and cheer on my Dukes next year!! (if only our basketball team was something to shout about! :-\)

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Landers is much quicker and will be a threat on each play. I'm more concern with the Defense......

chiapet9
November 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
sure - Landers is quicker - but does he have the smarts that Rascati plays with? Rascati just has a quick mind and plays intelligent ball - will Landers be able to do that?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM
sure - Landers is quicker - but does he have the smarts that Rascati plays with? Rascati just has a quick mind and plays intelligent ball - will Landers be able to do that?
We have been spoiled the last three years.............JMU will be contenders.........

mcveyrl
November 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM
(if only our basketball team was something to shout about! :-\)

It is something to shout about!! I curse it every time I check a score.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I'm expecting things to be ok, we should be starting the recruits that we picked up because of the NC... also you never know about transfers. Could get some good players on D to fill some gaps.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
This one touches on the game Sat and a little on the future. Didn't want to put it under the JMU @ YSU thread because several people yesterday said talking about that game anymore was like beating a dead horse, and plus I don't want to rile up YSU fans with Mickeys comments here on YSU:

"Mickey Still Irked At NCAA
He also says JMU is better than Youngstown State, despite losing to the Penguins."
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7514&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

This one talks about Landers and the rest of the team for next season:
"Landers On Deck"
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7530&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

UMassive
November 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Just read the article with Matthews comments and I am a bit surprised by the lack of responsibility he seems to take when JMU loses the tough ones. By the way let me go on the record that on paper and from what I saw the other day JMU is just as balanced a team as UMass on offense and defense. They only time I would have hoped to face them was in the NC game. His quote "He had a great game. They’re ranked 90th in the nation throwing the ball and they throw for 300 yards. What are the chances they’re going to do that? He probably couldn’t do that against the air today. But for one time, he really played well." doesn't make sense. He had allday to throw at times and the D-Backs appeared to lack the confidence to play man tight man to man. Also JMU was held without a sack for the first time since losing 34-28 on Oct. 22, 2005. Anyhow not talking smack I am just amazzed that he took zero responsibility for the loss and the lack of adjustments to either pressure Zetts or disquise the coverages. The better athletes were clearly on JMU but Youngstown found a way to get it done. Looking forward to renewing the series in a couple of years and the future of the conference looks bright.

blur2005
November 30th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Just read the article with Matthews comments and I am a bit surprised by the lack of responsibility he seems to take when JMU loses the tough ones. By the way let me go on the record that on paper and from what I saw the other day JMU is just as balanced a team as UMass on offense and defense. They only time I would have hoped to face them was in the NC game. His quote "He had a great game. They’re ranked 90th in the nation throwing the ball and they throw for 300 yards. What are the chances they’re going to do that? He probably couldn’t do that against the air today. But for one time, he really played well." doesn't make sense. He had allday to throw at times and the D-Backs appeared to lack the confidence to play man tight man to man. Also JMU was held without a sack for the first time since losing 34-28 on Oct. 22, 2005. Anyhow not talking smack I am just amazzed that he took zero responsibility for the loss and the lack of adjustments to either pressure Zetts or disquise the coverages. The better athletes were clearly on JMU but Youngstown found a way to get it done. Looking forward to renewing the series in a couple of years and the future of the conference looks bright.
Admittedly, it does bother me when he seems to ignore the fact that he and his coordinator didn't make the necessary adjustments. We didn't change coverages, continued to play soft. I know we had injuries and were lacking depth, but I feel like we could still press up with a safety like LeZotte over the top. It's a damn shame we gave that game away with the faulty pass coverage because everything else was on point.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Even JMU fans have to be a little embarassed about that article. Matthews is a good recruiter & coach but he can be a loop-job sometimes.

HensRock
November 30th, 2006, 07:25 AM
What year is Holloway?
He's the one player on JMU that scares me the most.

Dukie95
November 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM
What year is Holloway?
He's the one player on JMU that scares me the most.

Holloman will be a Senior next year.

HensRock
November 30th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Holloman will be a Senior next year.

Thanks. And appologies to Mr. Holloman for my spelling gaff!

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Even JMU fans have to be a little embarassed about that article. Matthews is a good recruiter & coach but he can be a loop-job sometimes.

I think many of them are embarassed. My take on the game was that Mickey was outcoached. Talking smack about Zetts was completely uncalled for, and his comments will lose him respect in the coaching fraternity.

JMU has alot of pieces to find for next year. They'll be good, but it's hard to see them approaching the quality of this years team. Their corners should be better with the return of Derrius Ramsey.

JMU2004
November 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think many of them are embarassed. My take on the game was that Mickey was outcoached. Talking smack about Zetts was completely uncalled for, and his comments will lose him respect in the coaching fraternity.

JMU has alot of pieces to find for next year. They'll be good, but it's hard to see them approaching the quality of this years team. Their corners should be better with the return of Derrius Ramsey.

yep...lots of holes. But people have been saying that since 2004. I think the program is at the point where there is more reloading than rebuilding. OF COURSE, we will be in uncharted waters with Justin Rascati moving on.
JR was one of a kind, and we will miss him

Best case scenario puts JMU at 8-3 next year.

Realistically, I would be happy with a winning season where we competed for a playoff spot.

And as much as I like MM, he does not lose well. Regardless of how slighted he felt by the NCAA, the Refs, or whoever, he needs to keep in mind that he represents JMU at ALL TIMES. I don't want JMU to be hated because Mickey always speaks his mind. Its admirable that he shoots straight, but he needs to learn to credit other teams when they beat us.

GannonFan
November 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I agree, first time I read that article. Couldn't believe the negative spin he gave on Youngstown's QB - the guy just lit you up for 300 yards passing (which you never seemed to adapt to all game) and then you get quoted saying the kid couldn't do that again against "the air" the next day? Come on, that's message board level smack, not something you say in a press conference. Mickey does a lot of things well, but when he opens his mouth it's sometimes hard to remember that. When he's the most visible spokesman for your team and program, you have to cringe at comments like that. JMU's not making friends saying stuff like that, and it's not the first time he's lowered himself to this caliber of comment. But I don't see it changing - heck, Bourne's quotes didn't appear to show him of any real different mind than Mickey's on a lot of matters. With all this lack of decorum and tact, maybe JMU really is ready for I-A?

JMU_Fan_2007
November 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I have to chime in and agree that we got out coached at YSU. Mickey does need to take some of the blame... He's a very hard headed, even on first and goal with 2 minutes left, he'll stick to his gameplan, which often works but not here. But, in his defense I must say, the spot on 4th and 1 was bad. You watch that tape and JMU got the first down. If that goes the game is over. But it's part of the game and you've got to adjust. At the beginning of the fourth quarter JMU should have stopped playing YSU and started to play with the UNH gameplan, do something! I mean we destroyed UNH, we clearly have the ability to stop a good passing game. Oh well. A bit of me hopes North Texas might call... but I do like that Mickey Matthews speaks his mind, even though sometimes he's wrong.

go dukes!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM
"We knew we were better than them," Matthews said. "If we play Youngstown 10 times, we’re going to beat them seven or eight out of 10."

uhhhh. No. Sorry. Id say at most 6/10 but more than likely a split of 5/10.

Fact of the matter is you didnt get it done when you needed to get it done. And with a spot on a fourth and 1 to stay alive in the game...uhh you should never be in that position in the first place if you are such a great and mighty team.

I hate to say this as my Redbirds are playing the Penguins this weekend, but I kinda hope now that Youngstown State wins it all just to prove this joker wrong and make him look like a bigger ass.

JMU_Fan_2007
November 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I love Mickey Matthews because he brings out the emotion of the game... just see above...

Peems
November 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
yep...lots of holes. But people have been saying that since 2004. I think the program is at the point where there is more reloading than rebuilding. OF COURSE, we will be in uncharted waters with Justin Rascati moving on.
JR was one of a kind, and we will miss him

Best case scenario puts JMU at 8-3 next year.

Realistically, I would be happy with a winning season where we competed for a playoff spot.

And as much as I like MM, he does not lose well. Regardless of how slighted he felt by the NCAA, the Refs, or whoever, he needs to keep in mind that he represents JMU at ALL TIMES. I don't want JMU to be hated because Mickey always speaks his mind. Its admirable that he shoots straight, but he needs to learn to credit other teams when they beat us.

well in all honesty, last year you missed the playoffs and this year out in the first round. BUT, no doubt JMU will be a force for many years. I do agree though that losing Rascati is the biggest hole for JMU.

mcveyrl
November 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
well in all honesty, last year you missed the playoffs and this year out in the first round. BUT, no doubt JMU will be a force for many years. I do agree though that losing Rascati is the biggest hole for JMU.

Well, a first round loss does not a horrible team or season make (See Montana, 2005). Especially when it was to a quality YSU team.

We will be down next year, no doubt (well, they could surprise me). I too would be ECSTATIC if we went in to the last two weeks still in a hunt for a playoff spot. We're not losing a TON of players, but we are losing players at some key spots. I'm more concerned with losing Jordan and Dottin-Carter at LB than Rascati. Landers is a quality QB that plays the position differently than Rascati, plus he's had three years to watch!

JMU2004
November 30th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Well, a first round loss does not a horrible team or season make (See Montana, 2005). Especially when it was to a quality YSU team.

We will be down next year, no doubt (well, they could surprise me). I too would be ECSTATIC if we went in to the last two weeks still in a hunt for a playoff spot. We're not losing a TON of players, but we are losing players at some key spots. I'm more concerned with losing Jordan and Dottin-Carter at LB than Rascati. Landers is a quality QB that plays the position differently than Rascati, plus he's had three years to watch!

LB is a position that JMU is ALWAYS good at..... Lloyd, Pack, Townsend, Walton, Jordan, and McCarter. Thats an amazing group of linebackers since 2001.

DE is another position that is always well stocked... Someone graduates, and the next star is born.

HLecter
November 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Enough with the fricken spot already

JMU couldn't play any damn defense against what many call a High School passing offense (not me)

ZERO SACKS

ZERO

And enough with the bad draw and going on the road,,,,,,if MM feels he could beat YSU 8 out of 10,,,,then what is the problem?? Must have been the 20% edge YSU had last Saturday.

Put it to bed already

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 30th, 2006, 06:53 PM
waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Enough with the fricken spot already

JMU couldn't play any damn defense against what many call a High School passing offense (not me)

ZERO SACKS

ZERO

And enough with the bad draw and going on the road,,,,,,if MM feels he could beat YSU 8 out of 10,,,,then what is the problem?? Must have been the 20% edge YSU had last Saturday.

Put it to bed already
The thread is about JMU 2007.....

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2006, 09:33 PM

This is what he said.

"Their quarterback had the game of his life. You’ve got to give that kid credit," Matthews said. "He had a great game. They’re ranked 90th in the nation throwing the ball and they throw for 300 yards. What are the chances they’re going to do that? He probably couldn’t do that against the air today. But for one time, he really played well."

He did praise the kid. What he failed to mention was that the JMU staff watched all 11 YSU game tapes from their season & Zetts showed nothing remotely approaching what he did against JMU. I listened to the YSU radio guys after the game, and they sounded shocked that Zetts threw like he did, and said the YSU O coordinater was probably stunned at how it went. After all, he came into the game with 10 TDS and 10 INTs. What Mickey said here and the rest of the article I think while not diplomatic, IMHO was pretty much on, and I'm not embarrassed in the least.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2006, 09:36 PM
We have been spoiled the last three years.............JMU will be contenders.........

Congratulations on a GREAT year! :hurray: With 3 plays ending differently, UNH would have been 10-1 this year. However, even with about 40 plays ending differently vs JMU, UNH would have still been 10-1. I know our UNH radio announcers proclaimed Hampton the best team the Wildcats faced all year, but that was just the result of euphoria of the moment. NO QUESTION, JMU was the best by far. UMASS' best move this year was not having to play the Dukes.

Rascati is fabulous, Holloman is fabulous, your offensive line was dominant, your defense shut down the most explosive offense in the land,...... and UNH was certainly ready for you - to no avail. You will be contenders next year -- of course, we'll find out real early--first game of 2007 season, if I am not mistaken. Keep your heads up, good luck with recruiting, and see you next year (unfortunately, without D. Ball:( )

chiapet9
November 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Congratulations on a GREAT year! :hurray: With 3 plays ending differently, UNH would have been 10-1 this year. However, even with about 40 plays ending differently vs JMU, UNH would have still been 10-1. I know our UNH radio announcers proclaimed Hampton the best team the Wildcats faced all year, but that was just the result of euphoria of the moment. NO QUESTION, JMU was the best by far. UMASS' best move this year was not having to play the Dukes.

Rascati is fabulous, Holloman is fabulous, your offensive line was dominant, your defense shut down the most explosive offense in the land,...... and UNH was certainly ready for you - to no avail. You will be contenders next year -- of course, we'll find out real early--first game of 2007 season, if I am not mistaken. Keep your heads up, good luck with recruiting, and see you next year (unfortunately, without D. Ball:( )

thank you. i'm rooting for ya'll this weekend. too bad amherst is very far from virginia. kick minutemen butt on saturday.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Mickey sometimes isn't/doesn't come across as very diplomatic when speaking to the press.
As far as on the field I care if Matthews JMU teams
1. Win games. To do this, you have to
-recruit well. His staff does a good job here compared to other IAAs.
-coach well. I think he and his staff do a good job here, the
Youngstown game not withstanding, where I think he was outcoached.
So far has been pretty good here, 56-40 in 8 years, 2 A-10 co-titles, 1 A-10 south title, 1 Nat Championship.
2. Don't play dirty, don't have an above avg (compared to other teams) #
of personal fouls, don't run up the score, etc, which I think is the case
here (although I know there are a few fans who I've seen state they
think Matthews runs up the score sometimes, which I don't think is the
case).

As far off the field I care if Matthews JMU players:
1. Don't have an inordinate # of off the field incidents year in year out- no more than the avg compared to other I-AAs. I think this has been the case here. Take any random cross section of 100 college aged males, and you will occasionally see one or more get in trouble with the law. When its Div I college football or basketball players, the difference is you'll read/hear about it in the press. When one or more do get in trouble, I want to see Matthews take appropriate disciplinary action, which I believe he has.
2. Basically don't act like a bunch of thugs.
3. Graduate at at least the same rate as the avg of other I-AAs. I don't know the figures on this one.

Now as far as Matthews being "diplomatic"/having diplomacy when speaking to the press, I could give a rats a%s whether he does. I could also care less whether other fans or coaches like him or not. He does have his friends within the coaching fraternity. I like the fact that he appears to speak his mind. But the bottom line is his players like him, and the overwhelming majority of JMU fans like him, which is far more important than being diplomatic. Diplomacy doesn't win football games.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Losing Rascati won't be the biggest hole for JMU. Landers is much faster than Rascati, who was only listed with a 4.76 40), 6'1", 210, just a super athlete, has a good arm, will be a 4th year junior. Has only attempted 13 passes, completeing 9. Has runs of 81 and 45 yards the last 2 seasons. He'll be a better runner than Rascati. The biggest question is will he be close to as good of a passer. The biggest hole for JMU will be filling their losses on their defensive front 6. They lose 4, including Jordan and Winston.

HLecter
November 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
The thread is about JMU 2007.....

Then quit talking about last saturday,,,real easy, otherwise I will respond to anything i read here.

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 12:02 AM
Here's another MM story for you,,,

two years ago, a player from YSU was transferring from Vanderbilt, and he is a Virginia native.

choice came down to JMU and YSU--He spent a few hours with Mickey and signed with YSU the next day. No implication here about anything with MM. Guess who caused Rascati's fumble early in the first half?

Here is the interesting part:

The player, who is a starter on D for YSU, went up to MM after the game to shake his hand and tried to talk to him.

Got totally blown off by your boy. No handshake, no words.

Totally classless when he loses, but a great, good ole boy when he wins.

That is the guy, along with the DC, that cost JMU the game, not the refs, not the road, not the spot. Too bad, you guys have the best team we've played in 2, maybe 3 years.

What he really should have been talking about, rather than Zetts, was YSU's Offensive Line. Zetts had a whole lot of time to throw.

JMU2004
December 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM

two years ago, a player from YSU was transferring from Vanderbilt, and he is a Virginia native.

choice came down to JMU and YSU--He spent a few hours with Mickey and signed with YSU the next day. No implication here about anything with MM. Guess who caused Rascati's fumble early in the first half?

Here is the interesting part:

The player, who is a starter on D for YSU, went up to MM after the game to shake his hand and tried to talk to him.

Got totally blown off by your boy. No handshake, no words.

Totally classless when he loses, but a great, good ole boy when he wins.

That is the guy, along with the DC, that cost JMU the game, not the refs, not the road, not the spot. Too bad, you guys have the best team we've played in 2, maybe 3 years.

What he really should have been talking about, rather than Zetts, was YSU's Offensive Line. Zetts had a whole lot of time to throw.

man, shut the hell up... Your fans were storming the field, your players were jumping up and down and pounding their chest, get off it. ANY AND EVERY visiting team will leave the field in that situation. YSU fans have FALSELY said that MM left the field without shaking hands.... again, pure lies. JMUSPORTS posted the video, so download it please!

this is getting old, and more than anything, showing me WHY YSU fans are hated on here. Hey Cap'n'Cat, they REALLY ARE THAT BAD!!!!

jmuroller
December 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM

choice came down to JMU and YSU--He spent a few hours with Mickey and signed with YSU the next day. No implication here about anything with MM.

All this tells me is that JMU didn't offer him a scholarship.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
All this tells me is that JMU didn't offer him a scholarship.

From YSU's roster says the guy is from Midlothian, VA (outside Richmond), came from Vanderbilt and Fork Union (Military Academy (FUMA)). Which means before transfering from Vanderbilt he was either on FUMA's post grad team and played high school ball at Midlothian or James River, or on FUMA's high school team. FUMA was in my high school league, my best friend went to Midlothian, and his younger brother went to James River.

Regardless, he plays DE in YSU's 3-4, which at 6'3", 270 means he'd be a DT if he was at JMU, and he wouldn't have been starting for JMU this yr.

BDKJMU
December 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM
"JMU will start the 2007 season at North Carolina Sept. 1 and will host Virginia Military Sept. 15 and Coastal Carolina Sept. 22 in addition to playing eight conference games. The current Atlantic 10 members will begin competing in the Colonial Athletic Association during the 2007 campaign."

One of the UNH fans has posted their schedule under the message string "UNH Prospects for 2007" and it says they play @JMU on Sept 8. So that means JMU's Sept schedule will be:

Sept 1: @North Carolina
Sept 8: UNH
Sept 15: VMI
Sept 22: Coastal Carolina

I imagine the next 2 games will be at RI and at Northeastern, followed by the 5 South Div A-10 teams. UR, Nova, & Towson at home, UD (probably pre season favorite from A-10 south) & W&M on the road. I just hope with @UNC and UNH JMU doesn't start out in a huge hole 0-2.

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3747.asp?TeamID=2

thmst30
December 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM
"JMU will start the 2007 season at North Carolina Sept. 1 and will host Virginia Military Sept. 15 and Coastal Carolina Sept. 22 in addition to playing eight conference games. The current Atlantic 10 members will begin competing in the Colonial Athletic Association during the 2007 campaign."

One of the UNH fans has posted their schedule under the message string "UNH Prospects for 2007" and it says they play @JMU on Sept 8. So that means JMU's Sept schedule will be:

Sept 1: @North Carolina
Sept 8: UNH
Sept 15: VMI
Sept 22: Coastal Carolina

I imagine the next 2 games will be at RI and at Northeastern, followed by the 5 South Div A-10 teams. UR, Nova, & Towson at home, UD (probably pre season favorite from A-10 south) & W&M on the road. I just hope with @UNC and UNH JMU doesn't start out in a huge hole 0-2.

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3747.asp?TeamID=2
Don't worry you can beat North Carolina if they don't improve any.

youwouldno
December 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM
MM is the Phil Hellmuth of the FCS. He might have said things that were essentially true... but a classy coach just praises the opposition without qualification and moves on, if anything citing his own team's failures rather than saying the other side got lucky.

So far as 2007, I have a feeling JMU is going to miss Rascati, big time. Landers is unproven and while he's athletic, it takes a lot more to be a good QB. If the rest of the team is very good it will help him succeed.