View Full Version : Secondary market ticket prices for FCS games? (poll)

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 01:14 AM
After purchasing tickets for two FCS games this year that my wife thought were way overpriced, yet still far below the median selling price on Stubhub for both games, I wanted to get some input from this community for what you think a reasonable price for FCS game tickets. Of course, I realize that this will vary quite a bit from team to team and will also depend on the specific match ups. I've tried to construct the poll question to be as revealing as possible, but please contribute to the discussion if you feel you need to add your caveats.

For your favorite FCS team, or any other FCS match up that you'd be interested in seeing (excluding FCS-FBS games), what is the most you would pay for tickets to attend the game and watch live?
* < $50
* $50 - $100
* $100 - $200
* > $200

JayJ79
August 25th, 2015, 02:52 AM
I wouldn't ever purchase tickets from a "secondary market".

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't ever purchase tickets from a "secondary market".
Really? You'd rather stay home? If I find someone who has tickets to a sold-out game that I want to see, I certainly have no problem buying tickets from them. I'm curious what your aversion is.

lionsrking2
August 25th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Whether it's an FCS game or not is irrelevant, if it's a game I have great interest in and I'm doing well enough financially at the time, I'll pay for it. I've been to major bowl games, FBS national championships and big NFL games but I'd much prefer to watch my Lions play, and would pay to do so. Hard to put a price on it.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 07:24 AM
I WAS willing to spend up to $150 for a Montana ticket. I didn't have to but that's what I was willing to do.

bluehenbillk
August 25th, 2015, 08:30 AM
More than $50 for FCS football? You're cray cray.

344Johnson
August 25th, 2015, 08:35 AM

That's how I voted as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a FBS game.

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Id pay anywhere between 50 and 100 per ticket if it was truly an FCS game I wanted to see and was easy enough to go to. Considering that the media coverage for the games are non existent and even when they are, its generally the d list coverage team, id pay to see it live.

Granted, outside of a UNH game, not sure what others would be in that category that didnt require a flight to see it, which pretty much takes all interest out.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 09:07 AM
On average, it costs me a couple hundred to see every game in travel, etc. The ticket price is negligible most of the time.

ST_Lawson
August 25th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Western's home tickets are cheap ($10-$15) and I've never had a problem with them being sold out (stadium has a hillside around part of the field, can pack in a lot of people beyond official "capacity"). I've paid somewhere around $50 for a game we played against Mizzou a few years ago, but most of the tickets for the games we play against FBS teams are still under $50. Only time I'd use a secondary market is when the secondary market is significantly cheaper than face value (like paying less than $5 a ticket to see Western play Illinois: https://www.stubhub.com/illinois-football-tickets-illinois-vs-western-illinois-9-12-2015/event/9195900/)

dewey
August 25th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I voted over $200 because like Nodak 4 Ever said the cost of the ticket is realatively small compared to the travel/hotel and booze costs for a trip. For example the 2011 NDSU title game I ended up paying about $165 per ticket but it was worth every penny of it. That year taught me a lesson to buy the tickets as soon as they go on sale, which is normally before the season even starts.
Dewey

Gil Dobie
August 25th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I've paid $25 to watch an FCS game on TV, so probably somewhere in the $100 to $200 range.

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 12:24 PM
It's not about Fcs or fbs or any division, it's about supply and demand.
I've seen $10 tickets sold by some schools, while games that are sold out at JMU or odu when they were Fcs were going for $50, $100 or more dollars on stubhub.
If a game is sold out, the demand is high enough to resell higher and make a profit.
Now Fcs football isn't typically in high demand, so most games should be priced accordingly. I wouldn't entertain buying from stubhub without a game being sold out and at least for JMU, it's tough to find a cheaper than face value ticket on there. Also factor in the fees. I always laugh when a game isn't sold out and someone's trying to sell a $50 ticket. Who would buy that?
JMU is actually highly overpriced at face value for what we are, Fcs football. Our prices are on par with most G5 schools. Our frustrated fans are letting the admin know that and refusing to pay that much for this level of football.
Personally, I never buy second hand unless it is at a bcs school. I know I can get a better section for cheaper than face value and I do. I then just move near or into the JMU section and I saved $20 per ticket.
Other than that, I've found that buying directly through the schools is always the cheapest option in Fcs.

JayJ79
August 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Really? You'd rather stay home? If I find someone who has tickets to a sold-out game that I want to see, I certainly have no problem buying tickets from them. I'm curious what your aversion is.

If it is something like an individual who bought season tickets and is unable to go to a particular game, I have no problem with them re-selling them.

But I can't stand scalpers who buy up tickets to a popular event and then sell them at a big markup.
I have no problem with the economic effect of supply and demand, but it should be the school/athletic dept. themselves who benefit from it, not some ticket vulture.

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM

I also agree with this. I would even say more than $35 is pushing it. It's lower level football. One of the benefits is that it's cheaper.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Other than that, I've found that buying directly through the schools is always the cheapest option in Fcs.
I can see that logic -- except when the tickets are sold out and secondary options are the only options.

I'm not sure how many FCS programs regularly sell out beyond Montana and NDSU, but I seems a little crazy to think that the median sold ticket price on Stubhub is $200 for that game.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Well if it's sold out then supply and demand takes effect. I would still probably keep it under $150 per ticket.
I'm the kind of fan that plans WELL in advance. I reserve hotels ASAP after announcement of the schedule a year out. I buy season tickets and if I feel that a road game is at a risk of selling out, which it never does in our conference outside of JMU (on rare occasion lately), I will buy the ticket the day it's on sale. UR will "sell out" with many empty seats on game day, but don't procrastinate and you're fine. Be a member of the donor club for priority points, etc.
If you plan, you're never going to be denied a ticket right from the school.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Seriously, if it's a game you want to go to who gives a single **** about what level it is?

I'm 5 minutes away from a FBS stadium that sees Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor on a regular basis and I couldn't care less about it.

This is a hot ticket. I can't wait to go.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily true.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2015, 12:57 PM

I pay more than that every single year for at least one game if not two. Face value on App was $60 and Face on NDSU is also $60 as well as the MSU gave every other year.

So I will consistently pay at least that in the primary market. xlolx

If I didn't have a ticket to a game I wanted to go to it would probably have to be at Montana and then I'd go whatever market was for that game and if it's more than $200 then that's what I do.

eiu1999
August 25th, 2015, 12:57 PM
At EIU I would never pay more than $20, elsewhere it would depend on the teams, but I don't see paying more than $50 anywhere.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I pay more than that every single year for at least one game if not two. Face value on App was $60 and Face on NDSU is also $60 as well as the MSU gave every other year.

If I didn't have a ticket to a game I wanted to go to it would probably have to be at Montana and then I'd go whatever market was for that game and if it's more than $200 then that's what I do.

It's the price we pay for having outstanding fan bases and consistently good programs to follow. It would literally suck to be on the other side and know that there are tickets to be had for little or nothing because the program sucks or there just isn't any fan support.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Well if it's sold out then supply and demand takes effect. I would still probably keep it under $150 per ticket.
I'm the kind of fan that plans WELL in advance. I reserve hotels ASAP after announcement of the schedule a year out. I buy season tickets and if I feel that a road game is at a risk of selling out, which it never does in our conference outside of JMU (on rare occasion lately), I will buy the ticket the day it's on sale. UR will "sell out" with many empty seats on game day, but don't procrastinate and you're fine. Be a member of the donor club for priority points, etc.

Last line not true in some cases. I know people that were on the waiting list for years here and couldn't get tickets in any other fashion except going to the tailgate and trying to buy or getting them on CL and so forth.

Damn, sorry about that Root but I hit the "edit" button instead of "quote" button first. xlolx

344Johnson
August 25th, 2015, 01:09 PM
It's the price we pay for having outstanding fan bases and consistently good programs to follow. It would literally suck to be on the other side and know that there are tickets to be had for little or nothing because the program sucks or there just isn't any fan support.

Do you not remember 5-10 years ago? Easy peasy to get tickets for cheap.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Absolutely, I'd rather have to pay it if given the choice between this and not having this. I'll pony up happily every year and take pride in it.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM

See my last post. One is better than the other and the cheaper tickets ain't it.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2015, 01:13 PM

No **** sherlock. Now go home to daddy.xrolleyesx

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 01:16 PM

That's where he gets the tickets this thing he so bored with.

344Johnson
August 25th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Was just there last weekend, it was nice.

That's where he gets the tickets this thing he so bored with.

Haven't been to a game in the dome with my dad in years. Might go to the UNI one this year. Gotta see what other stuff is going on.

Evolution Prime
August 25th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Most I've paid for a FBS game is $55 for SDSU at Nebraska.
Most I've paid for a FCS game is $40 for NDSU at SDSU this year.

However, those were face value from either a season ticket holder or the ticket office. I usually base what I would pay is face value price. Usually I would limit myself to 125% of face value for an FCS ticket before I would start thinking about not going. If its a game I would really want to see, as the two examples above, I would pay more, so I gave the $50 to $100 range. Playoffs and National Title games I would pay significantly more.

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Absolutely, I'd rather have to pay it if given the choice between this and not having this. I'll pony up happily every year and take pride in it.

I also agree. I wish I could have trouble getting a ticket for a JMU game. That would be a nice inconvenience.
The reality is that I can get a ticket easily since 2011 as demand has decline. It's a combination of mediocre football and an administration that is the laughing stock in d1 that has completely squandered all momentum while our peers move on to bigger things.
Ndsu and Montana fans may not realize how good they have it in their states being the biggest sports ticket. Put your programs in Harrisonburg va and you won't have as many showing up. Sorry, it's true. DC, two bcs programs and one G5 program are always prioritized by many in the state first.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I just spent $17 for 2 tickets to SDSU @ KU because I could.

I did have a plan to bring a Franklin with me to Missoula and find a ticket one way or another.

Grizalltheway
August 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I just spent $17 for 2 tickets to SDSU @ KU because I could.

I did have a plan to bring a Franklin with me to Missoula and find a ticket one way or another.

Doubt that would be enough on game day for this one, but you never know.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Doubt that would be enough on game day for this one, but you never know.

For one ticket? Right know I can add a Hamilton and get one on StubHub. I have mine but I'm pretty sure I could have found one in the parking lot.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM
For Lehigh and Lafayette it's completely situational. For every non-Lafayette-related game there are plenty of walk-up tickets available, no need for secondary market. However Rivalry games have been selling out for decades, leading to a secondary market for those particular games. I don't think I've ever forked over $50 for them, however.

PantherRob82
August 25th, 2015, 02:53 PM
UNI @ NDSU currently starts at $120 on Stubhub.

Grizalltheway
August 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
For one ticket? Right know I can add a Hamilton and get one on StubHub. I have mine but I'm pretty sure I could have found one in the parking lot.

I suppose it depends on how many are left to sell by Saturday and how badly people who show up without a ticket want to be there.

For run of the mill games other than homecoming, it's pretty easy to come by face value tickets the day of. But this is the hottest ticket in town since Paul McCartney, so things could be different.

Gil Dobie
August 25th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Well, I'm on a list for NDSU season tickets, right around the 9000 spot on the list. Been on there for 4 years. If I donate $70,000 to NDSU, I will move into the top 100 on the list. Last I checked the list was over 50,000.

344Johnson
August 25th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Well, I'm on a list for NDSU season tickets, right around the 9000 spot on the list. Been on there for 4 years. If I donate $70,000 to NDSU, I will move into the top 100 on the list. Last I checked the list was over 50,000.

I'm completely sure the NDSU season ticket list is not at 50,000.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 03:58 PM
That might be the number of people with >0 priority points, since you get those from making any donation to NDSU or purchasing tickets for any athletic event, right?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2015, 04:07 PM
That might be the number of people with >0 priority points, since you get those from making any donation to NDSU or purchasing tickets for any athletic event, right?

That's my guess.

Nonetheless, the season ticket waiting list is in the "hope a plague hits Fargo" type range for hope to get one these days.

KPSUL
August 25th, 2015, 04:35 PM
If I've made travel plans and flight reservations I'd pay in the $100 -$200 range. I'd say more, but unless you've waited to the last minute, or refuse to sit anywhere but the fifty yard line, there is no way you need to pay more. Unless of course your team makes it to Frisco and NDSU is there to try for a Ninepeat.

thebootfitter
August 25th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Unless of course your team makes it to Frisco and NDSU is there to try for a Ninepeat.
Even then, I don't think you'd need to pay more than $100-$200. The demand is high, but not that high.

I like the way you think, though! 😉

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM

Again, supply and demand. If JMU:
won 4 straight Fcs titles
won more titles in that run than losses
beat 8 fbs and 5 consecutive wins
Had game day come for the last two seasons
All while being the biggest football program in our state...

We'd probably have a big waiting list too.
Winning generates demand. Lose often in the coming years and that waiting list will dwindle quicker than it was built up.

Sorry if some of my facts are wrong. I'm working from memory.

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2015, 08:51 PM

It's okay. Odu fans are known to exaggerate their waiting list too. ;)

Gil Dobie
August 26th, 2015, 07:40 AM

There isn't. There are over 50,000 request with priority points and I'm in the 9,000 range. Not close enough to get season tickets when others are not renewed.

344Johnson
August 26th, 2015, 08:56 AM
There isn't. There are over 50,000 request with priority points and I'm in the 9,000 range. Not close enough to get season tickets when others are not renewed.

What on earth are you saying?

thebootfitter
August 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM
When you donate to NDSU, you accumulate priority points. Your number of priority points determines how likely you are to get season tickets, among other things, such as tickets from NDSU's allotment for the Montana game.

The more you donate, the more likely you are to get tickets that you want. (Which means that the face value of a season ticket at NDSU really costs you a lot more than face value.)

Gil Dobie
August 26th, 2015, 10:28 AM

The lower your number, the better the chance of getting season tickets. It's not a waiting list, it's a ranking of your donations and purchases. The larger donation I make, the lower my number would be, and the better chance for season tickets. I actually moved down in ranking from last year, because I did not make any purchases.

MSUBobcat
August 26th, 2015, 11:07 AM

I'm astonished that so many FCS teams have so little fan support that the fans think it would be absurd to pay more than $50 for an FCS game that was an "intriguing" matchup (rivalry, playoffs, etc.). As others have said, I'm glad to have the problem of high fan support which drives up the price, as opposed to being able to walk up to a ticket window and buy a ticket the day of. For Cat-Griz games, I've been willing to pony up to $200 for a ticket (luckily, haven't had to go that high yet). Sideline tickets (large majority of seating) for MSU this year are $40+$6 in fees. Endzone bowl seats are $26.50 after fees. Ticket availability even for DII Fort Lewis College is low, so I'm expecting to have to shell out more than $50 for any game I want to see this year that would be considered an "intriguing" matchup (i.e. Montana, possibly Cal Poly depending on teams' ranking at the time, and playoffs). I'm happy to have the "problem" of paying higher prices due to strong fan support and team success.

344Johnson
August 26th, 2015, 11:22 AM
The lower your number, the better the chance of getting season tickets. It's not a waiting list, it's a ranking of your donations and purchases. The larger donation I make, the lower my number would be, and the better chance for season tickets. I actually moved down in ranking from last year, because I did not make any purchases.

Ah, I'm picking up what you are putting down. I knew this info. I may have read it wrong(hadn't had my coffee yet).

RootinFerDukes
August 26th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I'm not willing to pay more than $50 because I don't have to pay more than $50. It really is that simple.
All the ndsu and Montana fans may not realize how poorly supported most Fcs programs are nationwide. Bcs programs steal our alumni as potential fans and most think we're playing D2 football.

thebootfitter
August 26th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I'm not willing to pay more than $50 because I don't have to pay more than $50. It really is that simple.
All the ndsu and Montana fans may not realize how poorly supported most Fcs programs are nationwide. Bcs programs steal our alumni as potential fans and most think we're playing D2 football.
That's a fair perspective.

Let me ask you this, though... If JMU were playing NDSU or Montana or Villanova or Eastern Washington and it was, say, in the playoffs or the championship game, and you were already in the city where the game was being played, so you had no travel costs, and the game was sold out, so you had to purchase from a secondary source...

How much would you pay?

RootinFerDukes
August 26th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Up to $200 for title game but I'm a hardcore fan. I'd do everything in my power to find cheaper tickets. I'm not picky about section compared to an already high price.
Btw, any of those four schools could visit our stadium and it would only attract a few hundred more fans. Villanova doesn't move the needle for us. They have no football fans either. Others are non regional and most don't really know of them enough to go out of their way.

CHIP72
August 26th, 2015, 11:16 PM

To be honest, it's more like the price you have to pay because there aren't any good BCS conference teams nearby or especially NFL teams nearby. When those higher profile teams play in the same region as an FCS team, even a very good FCS team, it lowers ticket demand for the FCS program's games.

CHIP72
August 26th, 2015, 11:21 PM
To answer the original question, I paid about $65 for Lehigh/Lafayette 150, and because of the special nature of the event, it was definitely worth it to me. However, for most Division I-AA/FCS games, I'd rather not pay more than $20.

CHIP72
August 26th, 2015, 11:25 PM
It's okay. Odu fans are known to exaggerate their waiting list too. ;)

Nothing tops the Washington Redskins' exaggerations on the size of their waiting list. :)

bluehenbillk
August 27th, 2015, 07:07 AM
I'm astonished that so many FCS teams have so little fan support that the fans think it would be absurd to pay more than $50 for an FCS game that was an "intriguing" matchup (rivalry, playoffs, etc.). As others have said, I'm glad to have the problem of high fan support which drives up the price, as opposed to being able to walk up to a ticket window and buy a ticket the day of. For Cat-Griz games, I've been willing to pony up to $200 for a ticket (luckily, haven't had to go that high yet). Sideline tickets (large majority of seating) for MSU this year are $40+$6 in fees. Endzone bowl seats are $26.50 after fees. Ticket availability even for DII Fort Lewis College is low, so I'm expecting to have to shell out more than $50 for any game I want to see this year that would be considered an "intriguing" matchup (i.e. Montana, possibly Cal Poly depending on teams' ranking at the time, and playoffs). I'm happy to have the "problem" of paying higher prices due to strong fan support and team success.

Actually I don't think I've ever gone to the secondary market for a FCS game. I have season tix for UD & nobody in the CAA sells out so you can by from the visiting team allotment or directly from the home team depending on who it is & where I'll get better seats.

bluehenbillk
August 27th, 2015, 07:21 AM

Face value for a FCS school is $60?? I'm confused - I went on NDSU's site & the highest priced face value tix are $35, except one game it's $40.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 27th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Face value for a FCS school is $60?? I'm confused - I went on NDSU's site & the highest priced face value tix are $35, except one game it's $40.

Montana NDSU tickets were 61 face value

gumby013
August 27th, 2015, 07:49 AM

UND is $60.

Date
Opponent
Sideline/Endzone

9/12
Weber State
$35 / $25

9/19
North Dakota
$60 / $50

10/10
Northern Iowa (Homecoming)
$40 / $30

10/17
South Dakota
$35 / $25

11/7
Western Illinois (Harvest Bowl)
$35 / $25

11/21
Missouri State
$35 / $25

http://www.gobison.com/sports/2013/5/23/tkt_fb.aspx?tab=footballinfo

Ivytalk
August 27th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Agree 100%. Even if Harvard and Yale were both 9-0 going in to The Game, I'd never pay more than face value.

How do you think I got so rich?;)

thebootfitter
August 27th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Agree 100%. Even if Harvard and Yale were both 9-0 going in to The Game, I'd never pay more than face value.
Even if that meant you didn't get to watch the game live?

Everyone's threshold is different, but I'm essentially trying to get a feel for where the general range of thresholds are. Per the poll so far, it appears that the majority are willing to pay above face value if necessary, but there is a large percentage who aren't.