PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele is mad ya'll

FootballCEO
August 22nd, 2015, 10:28 AM
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/AUG15/DBAug22.html

The Yo Show
August 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
Those are dissapointing sales. But, I know I did my part and bought it.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Even he screws up the FBS/FCS designation....check out his bolded quote.

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
Not really surprised by this honestly......

McTailGator
August 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
He can retire from writing about FCS as far as I'm concerned because he seldom gets it right.

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
He can retire from writing about FCS as far as I'm concerned because he seldom gets it right.

Did you read the magazine? it was spot on. And it's not like to many other writers out there take the time he does to give them the exposure and respect they deserve.

FootballCEO
August 22nd, 2015, 11:11 AM
Maybe he should be marketing directly to the university bookstores, no?

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
Maybe he should be marketing directly to the university bookstores, no?

He definitely should, but with this publication it would be difficult. I think people are hesitant on it because all you are receiving is a code with which to access a website. Not a physical or even a digital copy. I honestly think the best way to do this would be to include the top FCS conferences in with the FBS magazine.

That way the FBS fans can preview the FCS teams that their FBS teams are playing, and he won't have to worry about not selling enough copies.

FootballCEO
August 22nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
He definitely should, but with this publication it would be difficult. I think people are hesitant on it because all you are receiving is a code with which to access a website. Not a physical or even a digital copy. I honestly think the best way to do this would be to include the top FCS conferences in with the FBS magazine.

That way the FBS fans can preview the FCS teams that their FBS teams are playing, and he won't have to worry about not selling enough copies.

Great idea and out-the-box thinking!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2015, 11:37 AM
What able expanding the "franchising" of selling the magazine so that sites other that cfbmatrix.com can offer it?

I like cfbmatrix.com OK but if ol' Phil were serious he'd have an AGS online store where it's offered, an LFN online store where it's offered... a Football Gameplan store where it's offered etc.

FCS football has always been a long-tail enterprise so you need a long-tail business plan to sell it.

caribbeanhen
August 22nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
I heard a guy named Dave Bartoo is the one that actually does the mag for Phil

Phil's not dumb, he knows better to decide by twitter tweeting volume if there is enought interest to put out the publication, the truth is that with the few remaining FCS fans, the team they are interested in is #1 followed by conference they play in #2, those interested in FCS coast to coast are few and far between,,,,300 out of 300,000,000. FCS fans can get most of the info they need by researching it themselves focused in areas they want.

Now that's not to say if the Mag was laying around the Barnes & Noble (now backrupt by the way) or other places that stink but not exstink I wouldnt pick it up for a browse... I'm sure it's a great mag!
The internet has killed lots of things.

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
What able expanding the "franchising" of selling the magazine so that sites other that cfbmatrix.com can offer it?

I like cfbmatrix.com OK but if ol' Phil were serious he'd have an AGS online store where it's offered, an LFN online store where it's offered... a Football Gameplan store where it's offered etc.

FCS football has always been a long-tail enterprise so you need a long-tail business plan to sell it.

Good point. Not sure how many members AGS has, but I am dang sure its wayyy more than what copies have been sold so far!

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
I heard a guy named Dave Bartoo is the one that actually does the mag for Phil

Phil's not dumb, he knows better to decide by twitter tweeting volume if there is enought interest to put out the publication, the truth is that with the few remaining FCS fans, the team they are interested in is #1 followed by conference they play in #2, those interested in FCS coast to coast are few and far between,,,,300 out of 300,000,000. FCS fans can get most of the info they need by researching it themselves focused in areas they want.

Now that's not to say if the Mag was laying around the Barnes & Noble (now backrupt by the way) or other places that stink but not exstink I wouldnt pick it up for a browse... I'm sure it's a great mag!
The internet has killed lots of things.
This is true.

It's been mentioned here as well, he put a very limited distribution outlet for it and I think he's paying the price...literally and figuratively...for it. The idea he needs to print a paper magazine is nearly a half decade past it's prime.

The magazine should be an online PDF, not through a mobile app. Work with schools to get codes sold through the team websites or book stores. Work with AGS, bloggers, etc... to sell access codes. Don't hide it behind a mobile app through one specific site. He'll heres an idea (one that Bartoo alluded too) - don't force people to by the conference they don't give a damn about. I don't need to spend $10 to have Phil Steel tell me what I know about UNI (less than I already know) or the MVFC (equal to what I already know). Don't force me to pay $10 for 128ish teams when I really only care about 10 or 12 of them (at most). Sell it in conference PDFs. Allow me to buy just the MVFC, Big Sky, MEAC, SLC, etc... separate for a couple bucks each. Make the user decide "Do I want to spend $12 for 4 conferences I care to read about OR $10-15 for EVERYONE. If they decide to go everyone, great. Base your pricing off that option. Then market each conference at just above the proportional break out of each conference. Make some extra money by selling only the MVFC and make people decide the best use of their money

I will also say this:
I understand he needs too/wants to make money. Doing something that could lose him a bunch of money isn't something he (or any smart businessman) would do. HOWEVER, he's made it pretty damn clear from the start that he knew he was getting into a limited market. His tweets/posts alluding to that fact have, honestly, turned me off to him a bit; especially the one that caused this thread. You don't go into a situation that has a limited market and a small draw (WHICH YOU ADMIT TO KNOWING A HEAD OF TIME) and then complain about getting a small reaction from it.

There are a lot of people that put a ton of work into the FCS that get very little money from it, if any, and many probably lose money in the process. The number of people who volunteer their time to help sites like AGS, LFN (I have no idea how LFN runs), STATS, etc.. all realize the small market and while trying to make money also realise there is a good chance the money isn't going to be there in large amounts, if at all.

I get he's upset at this, but that post reads of a scorned ex-lover trying to make someone else hurt as well.

CrazyCat
August 22nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
This is true.

I will also say this:
I understand he needs too/wants to make money. Doing something that could lose him a bunch of money isn't something he (or any smart businessman) would do. HOWEVER, he's made it pretty damn clear from the start that he knew he was getting into a limited market. His tweets/posts alluding to that fact have, honestly, turned me off to him a bit; especially the one that caused this thread. You don't go into a situation that has a limited market and a small draw (WHICH YOU ADMIT TO KNOWING A HEAD OF TIME) and then complain about getting a small reaction from it.

There are a lot of people that put a ton of work into the FCS that get very little money from it, if any, and many probably lose money in the process. The number of people who volunteer their time to help sites like AGS, LFN (I have no idea how LFN runs), STATS, etc.. all realize the small market and while trying to make money also realise there is a good chance the money isn't going to be there in large amounts, if at all.

I get he's upset at this, but that post reads of a scorned ex-lover trying to make someone else hurt as well.

These are my exact thoughts,just said quite a bit nicer, when I read his response.

RootinFerDukes
August 22nd, 2015, 12:17 PM
Did you read the magazine? it was spot on. And it's not like to many other writers out there take the time he does to give them the exposure and respect they deserve.

I found at least one typo in his JMU description that he/they missed. He said last year we were in the playoffs for the first time since 2001. A few sentences later acknowledged us as 2004 champions.

I did my part. I bought a magazine and even bought his fbs magazine as a "thank you" for his support of Fcs. I retweeted all of his tweets about it.
The reality is that this is info that most fans can find for free online and preseason mags are probably a dying breed nationwide.
When there is next to no marketing aside from his website and his Twitter account, what can he honestly expect? His own fbs magazine doesn't even have an ad for it inside of it and it should.

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2015, 12:17 PM
This is true.

It's been mentioned here as well, he put a very limited distribution outlet for it and I think he's paying the price...literally and figuratively...for it. The idea he needs to print a paper magazine is nearly a half decade past it's prime.

The magazine should be an online PDF, not through a mobile app. Work with schools to get codes sold through the team websites or book stores. Work with AGS, bloggers, etc... to sell access codes. Don't hide it behind a mobile app through one specific site. He'll heres an idea (one that Bartoo alluded too) - don't force people to by the conference they don't give a damn about. I don't need to spend $10 to have Phil Steel tell me what I know about UNI (less than I already know) or the MVFC (equal to what I already know). Don't force me to pay $10 for 128ish teams when I really only care about 10 or 12 of them (at most). Sell it in conference PDFs. Allow me to buy just the MVFC, Big Sky, MEAC, SLC, etc... separate for a couple bucks each. Make the user decide "Do I want to spend $12 for 4 conferences I care to read about OR $10-15 for EVERYONE. If they decide to go everyone, great. Base your pricing off that option. Then market each conference at just above the proportional break out of each conference. Make some extra money by selling only the MVFC and make people decide the best use of their money

I will also say this:

I think Phil is just frustrated because people say they want FCS but so few actually will buy the info. With so many websites providing information for free (even though most of it is bad information in terms of opinions) he thought people would buy something with a lot of time and well thought out analysis put into it. Maybe he could have worded it differently but I think he is now seeing most want free info and don't care how accurate it is. I think had he done this about 15-20 years ago that he would have the market but the internet has made it impossible to start a magazine like this now.

citdog
August 22nd, 2015, 12:27 PM

an lfn store? Would it open 3 or 4 days later than it should each week?

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
I found at least one typo in his JMU description that he/they missed. He said last year we were in the playoffs for the first time since 2001. A few sentences later acknowledged us as 2004 champions.

I did my part. I bought a magazine and even bought his fbs magazine as a "thank you" for his support of Fcs. I retweeted all of his tweets about it.
The reality is that this is info that most fans can find for free online and preseason mags are probably a dying breed nationwide.
When there is next to no marketing aside from his website and his Twitter account, what can he honestly expect? His own fbs magazine doesn't even have an ad for it inside of it and it should.

Same here, I bought both. I do have to disagree though that the magazines are a dying breed. The reason I bought the FBS version is so I can have something to hold in my lap while I watch games for quick reference. It seems as though he cant print the FBS version fast enough.

What I do agree with though is that the FCS mag was marketed very poorly. Outside of twitter and the couple of sketchy archaic looking websites he puts them on I am not to sure how anyone would even know that the magazine exists.

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
It's not that he set it up to fail, but he very much set it up not to succeed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
August 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Punch up the website.

Sell ads.

This isn't 1995 anymore.

lionsrking2
August 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
I think Phil is just frustrated because people say they want FCS but so few actually will buy the info. With so many websites providing information for free (even though most of it is bad information in terms of opinions) he thought people would buy something with a lot of time and well thought out analysis put into it. Maybe he could have worded it differently but I think he is now seeing most want free info and don't care how accurate it is. I think had he done this about 15-20 years ago that he would have the market but the internet has made it impossible to start a magazine like this now.

He doesn't provide any info that can't be found online for free. People can make up their own minds and form their own opinions about how good or bad other programs will be. Before the rise of the internet, preseason mags like this were a good deal because it was the only source of information ... that's no longer the case. If he had some inside knowledge or brought a perspective on each program that was unique, I would find it useful, but it's pretty much a bunch of numbers and trends I can figure out myself. Again, I admire the fact he wants to do it, but don't bash FCS fans who don't want to plop down 10 bucks for it.

RootinFerDukes
August 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM

I will shoot him an email and suggest this idea. He should include the usual one page or half a page per team and just add it to the fbs magazine. Make it a division one magazine with both subdivisions.

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
He doesn't provide any info that can't be found online for free. People can make up their own minds and form their own opinions about how good or bad other programs will be. Before the rise of the internet, preseason mags like this were a good deal because it was the only source of information ... that's no longer the case. If he had some inside knowledge or brought a perspective on each program that was unique, I would find it useful, but it's pretty much a bunch of numbers and trends I can figure out myself. Again, I admire the fact he wants to do it, but don't bash FCS fans who don't want to plop down 10 bucks for it.
This is pretty accurate.

I know SCFBF loves to hate him those who aren't paid scouts and guys like Phil Steele when it comes to information on players, but the reality is if I want to know about what SLU is going to look like this year I can find exactly what Phil will write with even a small amount of effort in a matter of an hour or so by browsing their stats, twitter feed, facebook feed, fan forum, etc...

Is it more convenient to have Phil Steele do the work for me? Sure. Is it worth the money to some people who know where to find the same information pretty quickly? Not often

Cocky
August 22nd, 2015, 01:11 PM
Typical American, Im unsuccessful so it must be someone else's fault.

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
And again...

There are a lot of people thta don't care about the MEAC, MVFC, SLC, SOCON, etc.. depending where they live and how much they follow the FCS.

If his baseline is $10 for the FCS sell conferences for $2 or $3 each. Make people pick if they want to spend 8 or 9 bucks for 3 or 4 conferences or spend an extra dollar or two for the entire nation.

Look at any retailer, contractor, etc... and they do the same thing. Hell, I work in HVAC wholesale (I buy the AC, furnace, copper, parts, etc... from the manufacturer and sell to the contractors) and I do the same thing.

You want to buy a new Honeywell thermostat for your customer? Great. Here's your price for the thermostat.
What's that? Your customer wants to hook a humidifier up to it, have some sensors in the house to get a better temperature reading, etc...?
Here's your prices for each of those pieces.
Oh, since your already spending that much take a look at this package I can get you from Honeywell - It includes a couple things your customer isn't asking for HOWEVER, it gives you everything you already need for your customer and is a cheaper price.

That happens all over. Things are cheaper as a package than individually. No reason for Phil to not do the same.

lionsrking2
August 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
if I want to know about what SLU is going to look like this year I can find exactly what Phil will write with even a small amount of effort in a matter of an hour or so by browsing their stats, twitter feed, facebook feed, fan forum, etc...

Proper use of "SLU" is much appreciated! Lion Nation thanks you! xnodxxthumbsupx

clenz
August 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
Proper use of "SLU" is much appreciated! Lion Nation thanks you! xnodxxthumbsupx
I had SELA typed and figured I would change it, even if just this onexlolx

lionsrking2
August 22nd, 2015, 01:28 PM
I had SELA typed and figured I would change it, even if just this onexlolx

This once is a start at least. :)

KPSUL
August 23rd, 2015, 05:37 PM
Upon seeing this thread, I dutifully clicked on the link and ordered access to the guide. It's been almost two days and I haven't got the promised Email needed to access it: It is available so you can view it right on your computer for just $9.99. Once you order it you will soon recieve an email from cfbmatrix with your codes to take a look at the digital version of our magazine.

Lehigh'98
August 23rd, 2015, 06:42 PM
Upon seeing this thread, I dutifully clicked on the link and ordered access to the guide. It's been almost two days and I haven't got the promised Email needed to access it: It is available so you can view it right on your computer for just $9.99. Once you order it you will soon recieve an email from cfbmatrix with your codes to take a look at the digital version of our magazine.

did u check the junk folder?

KPSUL
August 23rd, 2015, 06:54 PM
did u check the junk folder?

yep, both "suspected" and "Spam". I sent a follow-up Email. We'll see.

Catsfan90
August 23rd, 2015, 07:16 PM
Yah there were a lot of problems with that site and preordered. Dave Bartoo is very fast and professional though, he will take care of you.

Catatonic
August 24th, 2015, 04:59 AM

I had the same problem. prompt response and follow through with the promised fix.

Catatonic
August 24th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Typical American, Im unsuccessful so it must be someone else's fault.

I believe his complaint was more specific than that: He did a survey re: interest in such a magazine. Thousands indicated they would buy a magazine devoted to FCS. Only a few hundred followed through. I agree that most of the information he and other fb publishers provide is available on line if you want to dig, that's beside the point. Don't indicate you'd be willing to pay to have someone else do the research and turn out a magazine then fail to follow up after he has gone to the expense based on input from FCS fans.

Bisonator
August 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM
This is pretty accurate.

I know SCFBF loves to hate him those who aren't paid scouts and guys like Phil Steele when it comes to information on players, but the reality is if I want to know about what SLU is going to look like this year I can find exactly what Phil will write with even a small amount of effort in a matter of an hour or so by browsing their stats, twitter feed, facebook feed, fan forum, etc...

Is it more convenient to have Phil Steele do the work for me? Sure. Is it worth the money to some people who know where to find the same information pretty quickly? Not often

Phil Steele can't even get some of the basic **** right. He has Jedre Cyr, one of our fullbacks listed as a DB! xlolx

Sycamore62
August 24th, 2015, 11:57 AM
can this be printed?

bertram
August 24th, 2015, 12:07 PM
can this be printed?

Yes it can. You can break it down to just the pages you would like to print, or do the whole shabang

smallcollegefbfan
August 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM

I'm just telling you what I think his issue is. I'm on Phil Steele. I think the only issue I have is that people say they would buy it then get mad when called out for not doing it. I agree we can find most of it online. We are really just paying for his opinion and to have all the information consolidated in one place.

I for one like having it all in one place so I want to have the mag but I could see why a fan who cares basically about just their own school and league would not want to pay for it. FBS school fans go out and buy these magazines heavily. Those on here who have inside knowledge of their own school and may know about a transfer before even the school puts it out or allows a magazine to print it won't find as much use.

I totally get where you are coming from and don't blame you for it.

smallcollegefbfan
August 24th, 2015, 03:45 PM
This is pretty accurate.

I don't hate on anyone who is not paid for that reason. I think it's funny how people put stock into these fan websites who are claiming to be a NFL Draft authority when they are not but you and lionsrking have a good point. You know plenty of people to find out what UNI is doing and do not need to look it up.

You can find most of what you need online and honestly these magazines are all out of date once they hit the stores anyway.

I don't get why they all don't just go to electronic versions and post updates to it even up to the week before the season starts rather than print a magazine in May and it have about 350 corrections needed to it by August.

lionsrking2
August 24th, 2015, 04:00 PM
I think the only issue I have is that people say they would buy it then get mad when called out for not doing it.

Regardless of whether you think he has a valid gripe or not, in any business, it's best to never insult customers or potential customers. That said, tweet views and retweets does not equal "I will buy your magazine." While the interest may be there, he may need to rethink his marketing strategy, price points and possibly content in order to get those who showed interest to bite.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 24th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Regardless of whether you he has a valid gripe or not, in any business, it's best to never insult customers or potential customers. That said, tweet views and retweets does not equal "I will buy your magazine." While the interest may be there, he may need to rethink his marketing strategy, price points and possibly content in order to get those who showed interest to bite.

This is the point I was trying to get across when this started. you can count on pre-orders, you can not count on retweets. It is just not a reliable way to guage things. I did think he might sell 500-1000 or so but when I saw the format I wasn't overly impressed cuz I was just wanting a pdf but so be it, I still paid.