PDA

View Full Version : ESPN?

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know about any of you, but I was watching sportscenter on Saturday night trying to get some scores for the games and they didn't mention one bit about it and they went to a commercial everytime the tracker on the bottom of the screen was just about to show, maybe, some other ncaa football scores.

I was just about to turn it off when the next program was college football something-or-other. I watched that damn show for 1 whole hour thinking they would atleast mention the scores of the games if nothing else. Not even one mention. I know it is all BCS this and BCS that but come-on. 5 different segments on the Notre Dame-USC game?!! WTF!

I finally gave up and waited for the Sunday paper to arrive the next morning.

ESPN is no longer about sporting news. Period.

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
ESPN is and has always been about $$$$$

SpreadtheRed
November 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Exactly.

And I hate ESPN for other reasons, especially because of their professional sports Biased (Patriots, redsox, duke/unc, etc, etc.) We in the midwest call them the Eastern Seaboard Programing Network. This week we should get coverage... however, even though there are basically no other football games this weekend, they will probably opt to talk about the stupid picks for bowl games than actual games that are being played.

ucdtim17
November 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Well it is, you know, a business. Who would have ever thought a business would be about money :rolleyes:

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but being a sports oriented (sp) business you would think they would cover most major sports. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, olympics, etc. It is the playoffs and they neglect to mention one damn score. But you know damn well if USC, Notre Dame, Alabama, Texas, one of the big schools were having a really bad year and had only won 2 or 3 games they would put their highlights and scores on TV. But instead they choose to talk about BCS games and bowl predictions.

How many Bowl's are there this year? 20?

How many really matter? 2? 3?

appfan2008
November 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM
ESPN is not as good as it is cracked up to be, they do not talk about the FCS ever. After ASU won the title last year, all they got was a quick blurp for about 15 sec. and that was it.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Well, in all fairness, the ticker on ESPN and ABC (who is using ESPN as their sports division) did show the scores quite frequently. Sure, you may have missed it (although on at least one of the ESPN channels they show the ticker even during commercials - or, you could just get TiVo like me and you have a full 30 minutes worth of ticker information you can scroll through) but the scores were definitely there. Of course, with it being basketball season now and with the men's and women's scores being shown, plus the NBA, plus the NHL, plus NFL news, it does take awhile for the ticker to show the scores.

As for coverage, I don't think it's any more or any less than it's ever been - they did show the scores on SportsCenter and at least 3 different I-AA games made plays of the day (even an SIU/E. Illinois one with some real crappy camera coverage - it was almost like helmet cam). Fact is, most people don't care about our level of football. Why that impacts your enjoyment of your fav team or this level of football is a mystery to me. It's like our own little secret. ;)

LacesOut
November 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I didn't see the scores either too often on the ESPN ticker, however I did see them a couple of times on the CBS one. Odd.

What I hate is seeing a bazillion basketball scores come across!! LOL

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I followed the scores on ESPN's ticker all day, no different than any other fall Saturday, they even called it by the right label & had "formerly Division 1-AA in paranthesees. You weren't looking very hard if you didn't see it.

As for SportsCenter mentions I wouldn't count on it if the game wasn't on their network, I could see YSU-JMU get a quick blurb but that's about it.

STACCATS
November 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I watched ESPNU on Saturday night(or Sunday morning, don't remember which) and they had scores on all 8 games on their version of sportscenter, with highlights fromt the App, YSU, Griz and UMASS games.

psc2445
November 27th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I don't know about any of you, but I was watching sportscenter on Saturday night trying to get some scores for the games and they didn't mention one bit about it and they went to a commercial everytime the tracker on the bottom of the screen was just about to show, maybe, some other ncaa football scores.

I was just about to turn it off when the next program was college football something-or-other. I watched that damn show for 1 whole hour thinking they would atleast mention the scores of the games if nothing else. Not even one mention. I know it is all BCS this and BCS that but come-on. 5 different segments on the Notre Dame-USC game?!! WTF!

I finally gave up and waited for the Sunday paper to arrive the next morning.

ESPN is no longer about sporting news. Period.

i know exactly what you are talking about and it was pissing me off too. i believe it was the ESPN Gameday Final Show. the ticker only stayed on screen during the show and not during commercials. every time it only barely made through the top 25 before a commercial and then it would start over when the show came back on. i finally turned it to espn news just to see the constant ticker.

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM
The most annoying thing about ESPN is Lou Holtz. He talks like he has something in his mouth.

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
The most annoying thing about ESPN is Lou Holtz. He talks like he has something in his mouth.

too true

kardplayer
November 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Why wait for the ticker at all? If you don't feel like going online, you can always call TellMe (1-800-555-TELL). Its free, and you just say:

"Sports" (then wait for it to get to the Sports prompt)
"College Football" (the wait for it to get to the college football prompt)
Then say the name of the team... DONE!

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Why wait for the ticker at all? If you don't feel like going online, you can always call TellMe (1-800-555-TELL). Its free, and you just say:

"Sports" (then wait for it to get to the Sports prompt)
"College Football" (the wait for it to get to the college football prompt)
Then say the name of the team... DONE!

how up to date are the scores?

BrevardMountaineer03
November 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM
What upset me about ESPN's coverage, was I wanted to see some CS playoff highlights at halftime of the JMU-YSU game. I think they should have shown a couple of clips....I know that the BS is bigger and watched by more people, but the people watching JMU-YSU would have preferred to see highlights of PLAYOFF football.

CopperCat
November 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I read all of this and I am agreeing totally. The only teams that really see any face time on ESPN are the big I-A schools. I once tried to call in to a sports talk show and the screener turned me down because I wanted to talk about I-AA. I was livid, needless to say. Maybe the ESPN family should make another channel......like ESPN 25 since there's already a whole bunch of them (which cover useless sports like NASCAR and the World's Strongest Man).

LeopardFan04
November 27th, 2006, 05:03 PM
how up to date are the scores?

I think they stay pretty up to date...Usually I don't think they tell you the exact time...they'll say something like "Montana leads McNeese St. 31-6 in the 4th quarter"...I think they probably update a couple of times a quarter at least...but I am not sure specifically...

CamelCityYosef
November 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I don't mind that he talks like he has something in his mouth...it's the garbage that comes out of his mouth that bothers me...

CamelCityYosef
November 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
useless sports like NASCAR

Useless sports like NASCAR? Man, them's fightin' words! And you boys are getting ready to come right into the heart of NASCAR country...

Don't make us start up about Rodeo on ESPN2...

xlolx

ASU Kep
November 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I thought the ESPN coverage at YSU was actually pretty damn good if that counts for anything. Obviously, I was at the App game for most of the I-AA game (already knew the scores with my cell phone, too) so I wasn't really looking for the scores on the ticker.

SO ILLmatic
November 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Only one CS playoff game on the ESPN family of networks this weekend. Montana ST & APP ST on ESPN2 (also ESPN2 HD if you have it).

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I am not shocked at all by the lack of coverage. It's always been that way. We don't get coverage for football, or basketball for that matter. Appalachian played Wake Forest Saturday in basketball...an ACC school...and no highlights. It's extremely hard to get national notoriety when you can't get national coverage. It's always been that way and probably will be unless the NCAA decides to help the CS schools out and force coverage of mid-majors.

Block-A
November 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I have to agree that ESPN sucks. Sportscenter and the college football review were all about USC-ND. They devoted a little time to the other games in I-A, and at the end burned less than 1 minute on a clip from the Grambling game. That's it, Good-night! No more college football.

As far as "sport" goes, Nascar is somewhat higher then shuffleboard, bowling, and Texas hold'em poker, yet still below ultimate frisbee and ping-pong.

Griz40
November 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
What upset me about ESPN's coverage, was I wanted to see some CS playoff highlights at halftime of the JMU-YSU game. I think they should have shown a couple of clips....I know that the BS is bigger and watched by more people, but the people watching JMU-YSU would have preferred to see highlights of PLAYOFF football.
I absolutely agree with that! Why would you NOT put on highlights from the league(especially playoff highlights) of the game you are showing? I actually sent espn a complaint email after half-time of that game. Not that it will do/did any good. That is why I was upset...not that they didn't show the highlights..most of us are used to that. It is HOW they didn't show highlights that was disgusting.

Retro
November 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The one thing that bothers me is the whole COLLEGE GAMEDAY FINAL show.. Here's a show is only about college football, yet they focus strictly on the BCS teams and really only the top 20-25 teams in contention for a BCS bowl or conference title..

I remember several years ago when they called it the Residence Inn College Scoreboard and back then, they at least gave every score of all I-A teams and touched on I-AA a little..

Now, they don't even mention the non-BCS schools, except maybe a quick score if it relates to winning the conference or if they're playing a BCS team..

How many different times and ways do they need to discuss how USC will play for the national title???:rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that it's going to take a big fan of the CS with some money or corporate connections to start up a fully sponsored weekly show covering CS scores and highlights on any station, be it ESPN, FoxSportsNet, CSTV, etc..

If i had the money i would definitely fund it.. If you get just a few big name sponsors like Coca-Cola, Under Armour, etc. to sponsor it, it can happen..

Saluki Fan in FL
November 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I totally agree about ESPN being Bias. Especially against smaller schools. The other night SIU was SCHOOLING Arkansas at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando in basketball. Towards the end of the game Arkansas actually came back, and within roughly the last 30 seconds of the game took the lead forcing SIU to continuously foul the rest of the game.

After the game, the first thing out of the mouth of the ESPN guy... "Well this is where Strength and Experience shows."

I about dropped my beer. ...but it's Guiness, I wouldn't do that!:beerchug:

By the way, because of that loss SIU had go play in the Losers bracket, which meant the best they could finish... 5th place (which they did) they won the other two games. Arkansas went on to win it.

Ain't that a bite in the xazzx

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well it is, you know, a business. Who would have ever thought a business would be about money :rolleyes:

not mainejeff. ;) ;) ;)

OhioHen
November 28th, 2006, 06:36 AM
How many Bowl's are there this year? 20?

There are 32!!! bowl games this year. :eek: :bang:

How many really matter? 2? 3?

One (unless you have a favorite BS team in another game -- then it's two) :twocents:

OhioHen
November 28th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Well, in all fairness, the ticker on ESPN and ABC (who is using ESPN as their sports division) did show the scores quite frequently.

My experience throughout the day was that the Division II and Division III scores were shown more often than the CS scores. Only the finals were listed (no in progress scores), but at least they showed up once every four cycles of "Top 25" scores. The Bayou Classic and UCD-USD scores were included in the regular scroll of NCAAF scores with the non-Top 25 BS scores. The CS playoff scores showed up once every ten or twelve cycles. :bang: :bang: :bang:

My expectation this week is that we'll see the Monmouth-San Diego score much more regularly than the four playoff scores. :twocents:

CamelCityYosef
November 28th, 2006, 06:58 AM
My experience throughout the day was that the Division II and Division III scores were shown more often than the CS scores.

I've noticed that this year, and previous years as well. My theory is that ESPN (and the other College Football networks) have so much invested in the crapulent Bowl system, that they don't want to remind people that there is a Division I playoff system that produces an actual, post-season 4 game winning National Champion.

I'm usually not (much of) a conspiracy theorist, but in this case...

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I've noticed that this year, and previous years as well. My theory is that ESPN (and the other College Football networks) have so much invested in the crapulent Bowl system, that they don't want to remind people that there is a Division I playoff system that produces an actual, post-season 4 game winning National Champion.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist either...

BUT, I tend to agree with the above. I've also stated on here that I think that's the reason that EA doesn't have a playoff option in its college football game. It's not like it would be hard to implement and it's not like it wouldn't be a desirable feature for most fans. I think that they've got an arrangement with the NCAA to keep it out.

So, maybe I AM a conspiracy theorist. I also think the pope controls the NCAA since Notre Dame could be 6-5 and be in "the national championship hunt.":rotateh: :rotateh:

Grizzaholic
November 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that ESPN is showing High School football on their network now. Good for those kids who play in the big boys of highschool football. All I am asking, not that it will ever do any good, is devote 5 minutes, not even 5 minutes, 3 minutes to show 10 highlights of the playoff games and who won and how they won. That is all. They could have only shown 4 USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State predictions and plugged in a 3 minute blurb about the games that really matter.

oh well.

jimgrizfan
November 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Montana's News Station KPAX is pleased to announce that we will be carrying Saturday's football playoff game between The Griz and Southern Illinois LIVE, beginning at 12:30 p.m. The television rights to all of the second round NCAA I-AA football games are held by ESPN. Originally, the only way to see UM's playoff game was to watch a tape delayed broadcast which ESPN is carrying on their pay-per-view Game Plan Package at 7:30 P.M. on Saturday.

Keeper
November 29th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Enormous

School

Promotion

Network

SoCon48
November 29th, 2006, 03:34 AM

They spent a larghe portion of last year's Friday night championship game talking about the I-A bowl games and the I-A coaching changes.

CamelCityYosef
November 29th, 2006, 06:28 AM
They spent a larghe portion of last year's Friday night championship game talking about the I-A bowl games and the I-A coaching changes.

I didn't catch that-- I missed the ESPN coverage because I was at the game! :hurray:

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Enormous

School

Promotion

Network

I don't believe it has anything to do with size, Georgia Southern and App State both have more students than Georgia Tech and just about even with Clemson...

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Easy solution.

In the past, Montana, Hampton, and Montana State all gave very large bids for home playoff games.

All AGS fans from those schools, and any other large bidders, should immediately contact their ADs and insist that they forgo their home games and instead put that money into a bid for continual media coverage of FCS playoff highlights and scores. :hurray: :smiley_wi

shakdaddy3
November 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
check out Tom Zetts's picture on the College Football section on ESPN.com RIGHT NOW!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/espnu/index?lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_ESPNU_ESPNU

congrats Zetts... i love this quote, "Hate the bowl system? Longing for March Madness-style excitement? Get your fill of real playoffs"