PDA

View Full Version : New AnyGivenSaturday Facebook/Twitter page!

clenz
August 17th, 2015, 11:27 PM
https://sublimezoo.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/dr-nick.jpg

In an effort to continue to grow the AGS community ursus has tasked me with rebranding/restarting/growing/enhancing/whatever word you want to use the social media presence of AGS. I logged into the AGS Facebook account and within a couple seconds decided to start from scratch as a community page rather than a private profile.

The new page is https://www.facebook.com/AnyGivenSaturday

It turns out Facebook pages actually have a ton of controls in them so it's going to take me a bit to figure out all the bells and whistles we can do with it BUT if you're willing to drop a like on the page and hang in there with me you won't be disappointed.

The goal of the Facebook page is going to be to share articles and stories from the FCS world that are interesting reads that shouldn't be missed. Player profiles of interesting stories, behind the scenes stories of programs, links from other sites looking at detailed stat breakdowns, etc... My goal once I'm up and running is to post at least 10 articles per week. On top of that I also plan on linking some interesting topics from the AGS community that someone may have missed, but a notification on Facebook might catch someones eye.

What I'm going to ask for is help from the AGS community. I have my own full time job, a wife, 2 kids (well, soon to be 2 kids), my AGS game and top 25 voting. I am asking for help finding articles that are worth sharing for the FCS community. If you come across something you think is worth sharing on the AGS facebook page email me at [email protected] and I will take a look to see what we've got.

On top of the Facebook page the Twitter page is getting a refresh of a start. The handle is staying the same - @AGSFCS (https://twitter.com/AGSFCS) The Twitter handle is going to be similar to the facebook page but a little more newsfeed like than discussion driving like the Facebook page. There will be a concerted effort to follow every single FCS program on Twitter, which we might do already I haven't spent a ton of time on the Twitter just yet, and to retweet and pass on as much quick hit knowledge as possible.

Please go to each page and follow and/or drop a like and share with friends that would be interested. These pages will very much depend on the AGS community to be reach their potential. If...I mean when... they do reach their potential it's because the AGS community showed that they truly are the best FCS community around.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2015, 12:09 AM
1) A way to make this easier clenz might be to use RSS feeds to auto-post some content. That's what I use.

2) Another tool you can use is NetworkedBlogs to auto-publish syndicated content. http://www.networkedblogs.com/ If interested I can set AGS as a syndication target when I post a blog.

bonarae
August 18th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Cool. It's about time that the refresh of our forum's social media presence is taking place.

Who's going to volunteer as backup page admins? We can use our personal FB accounts for this role.

How about a personal discussion group within the members here? (i.e. Secret group)

Smitty
August 18th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I think it would be a great idea to bring people to the forums by including some of our topics. Of course I would stay out of the political section xbangx.

I follow a few accounts on twitter that just report and re-tweet stories. It is a great way to get big headlines quickly. I can help volunteer if need be with either facebook or twitter.

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Patriot League fans are going to love this.

The first post on the AGS facebook? A link to a PL scholarship thread...xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2015, 08:58 AM

You must spread reputation around before giving it to clenz again... xlolx

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 10:40 AM
The AGS community is awesome!

Less than 12 hours after going live (in the middle of the night) we are already closing in on our 100th like!

I think we need an official hastag for twitter and facebook as well...let's hear some ideas

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2015, 10:42 AM
The AGS community is awesome!

Less than 12 hours after going live (in the middle of the night) we are already closing in on our 100th like!

I think we need an official hastag for twitter and facebook as well...let's hear some ideas

"We officially banned Grizo before it was cool to do so"

Bisonator
August 18th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Great cover photo! :D

ursus arctos horribilis
August 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Very cool and great ideas coming in peops.

McNeese72
August 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM
The goal of the Facebook page is going to be to share articles and stories from the FCS world that are interesting reads that shouldn't be missed. Player profiles of interesting stories, behind the scenes stories of programs, links from other sites looking at detailed stat breakdowns, etc... My goal once I'm up and running is to post at least 10 articles per week. On top of that I also plan on linking some interesting topics from the AGS community that someone may have missed, but a notification on Facebook might catch someones eye.

The only problem with the way the AGS page is set up is that if anybody posts, it is going to stick the post on the lower left side and you have to go click on them to open them up and see them.

I'd would prefer to see it as a Public Group Discussion type page like the one I opened for GeauxCowboy a week or so ago. Anybody can post and add things to it and it doesn't kick them down as a link and the lower left column.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1071888402870009/

Just a suggestion.

Doc

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I can help volunteer if need be with either facebook or twitter.
Give me a bit to get everything to a point that I'm comfortable with where I'm at with them, at the very least the Facebook since that's a complete rebuild and Twitter still have over 500 followers that are pretty active with responding to the couple tweets I sent this morning, and I'll see what I've got open for help. I'm clearly going to need it because I have news feeds from 128 schools, plus conferences, plus national FCS writers, etc... flowing through to catch. I just don't have time for it. Once it's up and running it's going to be pretty easy to help with. No idea how many people I'll need but probably 2 or 3 split between the two profiles. If you're interested in helping

If anyone is interested in helping, remember I only have a couple potential spots, email me at [email protected], make the subject AGS Facebook/Twitter and include your username in the body of the email.

I'll discuss applications with others to see who we feel is the best fit at that time for each profile.

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
The only problem with the way the AGS page is set up is that if anybody posts, it is going to stick the post on the lower left side and you have to go click on them to open them up and see them.

I'd would prefer to see it as a Public Group Discussion type page like the one I opened for GeauxCowboy a week or so ago. Anybody can post and add things to it and it doesn't kick them down as a link and the lower left column.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1071888402870009/

Just a suggestion.

Doc
I can move where the discussion box falls, to an extent.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion there, but really want the discussion to be driven on the comments sections of each thing posted. We are looking at this as a way to spread FCS/AGS news with discussions stemming from those as opposed to a discussion page with some news, if that makes sense. It's a "fan page" not a group page. I understand what you're saying though.

It's as open as it can be. You can post photos, tag photos, comment whatever you like, etc...

I'll try to work on page lay out as best I can though

ursus arctos horribilis
August 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
clenzy are you utilizing the new feeds on this site?

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM
clenzy are you utilizing the new feeds on this site?
I will be. I'm working on getting all the feeds from schools to show up on the page feed and then I'll try to figure the RSS type feed out. I will be pulling information from that feed regardless though

IBleedYellow
August 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Doing much better than I ever was on the Twitter side already. xthumbsupx

McNeese72
August 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I can move where the discussion box falls, to an extent.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion there, but really want the discussion to be driven on the comments sections of each thing posted. We are looking at this as a way to spread FCS/AGS news with discussions stemming from those as opposed to a discussion page with some news, if that makes sense. It's a "fan page" not a group page. I understand what you're saying though.

Yes, it does. That slightly different than what I was trying to accomplish. The Geauxcowboys.org messageboad was/is all but dead. There are a ton of Cowboy fans that are on Facebook that would never go and post on the messageboard. I was trying to get some discussion started about McNeese Sports started on Facebook thus I created the Geauxcowboys Public Discussion Group. I was a little overwhelmed about the response the first couple of days. Now, we even had the SID and assistant SID's posting links to articles in it. That is something they would almost never do on the Geauxcowboys.org board.

I did talk to my travel buddy, Cbuck, who is the administrator of Geauxcowboys.org before forming the Facebook Group.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 18th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I will be. I'm working on getting all the feeds from schools to show up on the page feed and then I'll try to figure the RSS type feed out. I will be pulling information from that feed regardless though

I have the rss feeds on the backside so let me know if/when you need anything from me then.

Go...gate
August 18th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Cool. It's about time that the refresh of our forum's social media presence is taking place.

Who's going to volunteer as backup page admins? We can use our personal FB accounts for this role.

How about a personal discussion group within the members here? (i.e. Secret group)

What does being a backup admin involve?

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 03:07 PM
What does being a backup admin involve?
Since I said I am taking "applications" I should add something about it

Basic duties will be to sort through the facebook feeds of all of the schools and look for a couple things worth sharing on page - examples are the things I've shared today. We will also be sharing some other things like news stories as we get that rolling, discussions from the site, adding photos/videos, etc...

Nothing super tough but there will be a strong set of guidelines behind it

NoDak 4 Ever
August 18th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Since I said I am taking "applications" I should add something about it

Basic duties will be to sort through the facebook feeds of all of the schools and look for a couple things worth sharing on page - examples are the things I've shared today. We will also be sharing some other things like news stories as we get that rolling, discussions from the site, adding photos/videos, etc...

Nothing super tough but there will be a strong set of guidelines behind it

That would likely require someone to be on the computer all day with little else to do.

I don't know anyone like that.

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM
That would likely require someone to be on the computer all day with little else to do.

I don't know anyone like that.
http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/91/91e7508a_joker.gif

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Also...we already passed 100 likes! Holy cow that's amazing. 15 hours and 100 likes!

BisonFan02
August 18th, 2015, 03:16 PM
http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/91/91e7508a_joker.gif

I know a lot of people too......if only we could afford the minimum wage to pay them........

I'll show myself out...xlolx

clenz
August 18th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Hey....if Troy wants to pay me a living wage to work for him full time on the site, social media sites, wedge, etc... I'd do it. Don't kid yourselves.

HOWEVER, I doubt Troy could afford my living wage...xlolx

BisonFan02
August 18th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Hey....if Troy wants to pay me a living wage to work for him full time on the site, social media sites, wedge, etc... I'd do it. Don't kid yourselves.

HOWEVER, I doubt Troy could afford my living wage...xlolx

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Screen-Shot-2013-08-16-at-13.52.34.png

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 08:30 AM
What the the early thoughts of the page?

Daytripper
August 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM
#FCSRealPlayoffFootball

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 08:36 AM
#FCSRealPlayoffFootball
I like it, but fear it may be too long to put on Twitter with 140 character limit - though it will see use this year.

What else you got?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2015, 09:27 AM
#FCSInventedPlayoffs

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 09:31 AM
#FCSInventedPlayoffs
Did it though?

I know Central College in Iowa won the D3 title in 74, but don't know if it was a playoff

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Did it though?

I know Central College in Iowa won the D3 title in 74, but don't know if it was a playoff

Trump has taught me it doesn't need to be real, just needs to be delivered with style and passion xlolx

More seriously, at the D-I level the #FCSInventedPlayoffs, I'd say, but #FCSInventedDIPlayoffs is stupid.

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Trump has taught me it doesn't need to be real, just needs to be delivered with style and passion xlolx

More seriously, at the D-I level the #FCSInventedPlayoffs, I'd say.
Touche

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Hey, I don't know too much about the hashtag use except that it help search on twitter the few times I've used it. Maybe that is all it is. But anyway, if this is it should we maybe have more than one?

On Mondays for instance in reference to the poll:
#agspoll

and things in reference to the show:
#thefcswedge

Or am I not getting it?

Just an all encompassing general tag could be:
#agsfcs

BisonFan02
August 20th, 2015, 07:25 PM
It looks like the twitter feed is going to the old profile (the one you have to be friends on) rather than the new fb page/fan page.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2015, 07:35 PM
It looks like the twitter feed is going to the old profile (the one you have to be friends on) rather than the new fb page/fan page.

Yeah, I set that up a few years back and I had asked clenzy about it and it is on the "punch list" but one of the lesser things being worked on currently. I'm sure it will be fixed up soon though.

BisonFan02
August 20th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I set that up a few years back and I had asked clenzy about it and it is on the "punch list" but one of the lesser things being worked on currently. I'm sure it will be fixed up soon though.

I figured that would be the case...just threw it up here to check anyway. He's been very active on the twitter feed...wanna make sure the new followers get the info. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2015, 07:38 PM
I figured that would be the case...just threw it up here to check anyway. He's been very active on the twitter feed...wanna make sure the new followers get the info. xthumbsupx

trudat homey!

clenz
August 20th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Twitter is coming, though a bit slower. That one takes more effort during the daytime hours as opposed to Facebook which I can schedule a head easier.

I've enlisted help that should be up to speed by Monday and ready to rock the Twitter. Yes, Twitter is staying the same. No need to start over and lose the 500 plus followers there.

Facebook was a total overhaul and needed more immediate attention. 140ish likes in 36 hours isn't too shabby.

Also, be more active with interacting on the Facebook stuff. This is me begging for free marketing but share some things you liked from the time line. Like some posts. That all streams it to other news feed time lines. I'm not going to pay facebook to spam your friends for me, that's what your for...lol.

If you know of something you think is facebook or twitter worthy PM or email it to me. I'll see about getting it posted, with credit to you. There's a reason I'm looking for old photos, videos, etc.. of all schools. It will only make the page better

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I thought it was pretty cool that you are/have credited posters that supplied some stuff. Nice touch.xcoolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2015, 11:42 PM
I don't have a fb account so would somebody throw a like on the Montana story and the ISU story too for me.

Watch that video of Mike Kramer being interviewed...dude is a bad, bad mofo and talks about as straight as it gets. Truly respect that guy.

clenzy, that UNI thing with the players helping some of the freshmen students move in was pretty f'n cool to! Give that one a like for me too!

clenz
August 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM
I thought it was pretty cool that you are/have credited posters that supplied some stuff. Nice touch.xcoolx
I'm a big fan of crediting what I found to where I found it. If someone makes my life easier by sharing the link/photo with me I'm going to credit them for it. I'm not ESPN, I don't think everyone is named "sources" that isn't me

clenz
August 21st, 2015, 07:15 AM
I don't have a fb account so would somebody throw a like on the Montana story and the ISU story too for me.

Watch that video of Mike Kramer being interviewed...dude is a bad, bad mofo and talks about as straight as it gets. Truly respect that guy.

clenzy, that UNI thing with the players helping some of the freshmen students move in was pretty f'n cool to! Give that one a like for me too!

I've heard you talk Kramer up for a while but never really did a ton of reading/watching him. The quote about "I used to have a twitter, I'm hip" was something that caught my eye and caused me to read the article to begin with.

Seems like a coach players would literally run through a wall for

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM
I've heard you talk Kramer up for a while but never really did a ton of reading/watching him. The quote about "I used to have a twitter, I'm hip" was something that caught my eye and caused me to read the article to begin with.

Seems like a coach players would literally run through a wall for

He is exactly that. He was my history teacher in high school and when he said go to page 53 and read until I say stop...you did not **** around you did that. He is also a large dude. xlolx

BisonFan02
August 21st, 2015, 02:05 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-08-21/north-dakota-state-kicker-nails-impressive-trick-shot-field-goal

Money! xlolx

citdog
August 21st, 2015, 04:47 PM
What's so special about helping freshman move into rooms? Upperclass Cadets are always quite helpful to knobs.

clenz
August 21st, 2015, 05:25 PM
What's so special about helping freshman move into rooms? Upperclass Cadets are always quite helpful to knobs.
I really want to make a joke about this but will hold off...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 7th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to the two fellers doing the FB & Twitter work. Really nice stuff this morning on Twitter promoting the poll and the teams. Really cool guys.

PAllen
September 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM

AS it should be. All threads come back to the PL eventually.