PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern vs Troy

TroyFootball05
August 17th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Greetings. Troy fan here. Hope all is well in FCS land. I came here to get a fan feel of what the Buccaneers are about this year. I would have posted on CSU's message board, but I can't fine one. I've done a lot of research on this matchup and this doesn't appear to be a Campbell or Savannah state type opponent. CSU brings back a lot with 38 of 44 on the two deep for the Vanderbilt game being juniors or younger. Senior QB Austin Brown started for UAB in 2013 when they came to Troy and lost in overtime on a blocked kick. With Troy having lost to Abilene Christian early in the year last year to go 3-9, and breaking in a new head coach and coaching staff, I can't help but think this game sets up well for the Buccaneers. Troy's run defense was one of the worst in the country last season, and I'm not sure where we'll be as a unit with a new defensive coordinator that early in the season. I know CSU runs some kind of option offense, but not to the extent that Georgia Southern does. What are you thoughts on CSU's upcoming season as a whole, and their chances at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Troy? This is a Week 2 game, by the way. Thanks in advance.

We're replacing long time (24 year) head coach Larry Blakeney, who coached Troy during our days in D-II and 1-AA. Many of you may remember him.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Greetings. Troy fan here. Hope all is well in FCS land. I came here to get a fan feel of what the Buccaneers are about this year. I would have posted on CSU's message board, but I can't fine one. I've done a lot of research on this matchup and this doesn't appear to be a Campbell or Savannah state type opponent. CSU brings back a lot with 38 of 44 on the two deep for the Vanderbilt game being juniors or younger. Senior QB Austin Brown started for UAB in 2013 when they came to Troy and lost in overtime on a blocked kick. With Troy having lost to Abilene Christian early in the year last year to go 3-9, and breaking in a new head coach and coaching staff, I can't help but think this game sets up well for the Buccaneers. Troy's run defense was one of the worst in the country last season, and I'm not sure where we'll be as a unit with a new defensive coordinator that early in the season. I know CSU runs some kind of option offense, but not to the extent that Georgia Southern does. What are you thoughts on CSU's upcoming season as a whole, and their chances at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Troy? This is a Week 2 game, by the way. Thanks in advance.

We're replacing long time (24 year) head coach Larry Blakeney, who coached Troy during our days in D-II and 1-AA. Many of you may remember him.

Welcome. I'll leave the Bucs talk to at least the guys from the Big South if some of the CSU fans. They have definitely taken big steps forward in the last 3 years and Troy will definitley have it's hands full if the run defense is not up to par.

NY Crusader 2010
August 17th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Didn't Charleston Southern nearly walk out of an SEC stadium with a win against Vanderbilt last year? Troy will without a doubt have its hands full in this one.

CasualFan
August 17th, 2015, 11:11 PM
I'm not completely up on Charleston Southern, but they have been dangerous and on the upswing in the last few years. Their back Christian Reyes (spelling?) did graduate last year, and I don't know a thing about his replacement. Their offense is patient. They might not have the firepower to come back if they get way behind, but they can wear out a defense.

centennial
August 17th, 2015, 11:12 PM
They are a borderline top 25-30 FCS team. Almost knocked out Vanderbilt last year but were inconsistent. Sun Belt is a weak FBS conference and Big South is one of the stronger FCS, I would say expect this game to be close with Troy winning by a touchdown maybe two. Looking at the roster it looks to be Fr heavy so it is hard to say how good they will be(about half of 100 are Fr, r-Fr).

Libertine
August 18th, 2015, 07:13 AM
You won't find a CSU fan site because there are, like, six CSU fans who actually follow the team. They had a fan forum but it went dark from non-use and was eventually bought up a Coastal Carolina fan who just used it to troll all the CSU fans who weren't there anyway. As for the team, I won't speculate as to why but, historically, CSU has never had a lot of seniors on the roster and rely heavily on underclassmen so don't read too much into the Vandy two-deep. The school's athletic motto is essentially, "do more with less" and they do. Under Jamey Chadwell, they have been considerably better and always dangerous but freakishly inconsistent as well. They run an offense that is essentially a shotgun adaptation of the old veer offense that allows them to control the clock and minimize their mismatches as well as to get the ball into space. Defensively, they are very aggressive with their front seven, sometimes overly so. Don't be surprised if you see them rush nine guys on a given play, especially if they're behind.

TroyFootball05
August 18th, 2015, 10:57 AM
The school's athletic motto is essentially, "do more with less" and they do.

Is this still Buccaneer Field?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21163&stc=1

Sly Fox
August 18th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I believe they have added lights. But yeah, that is it.

kdinva
August 18th, 2015, 05:16 PM
They added lights and a new FB Fieldhouse about 15 months ago, and put in FieldTurf about 3 months ago......later they'll update the visitor's stands and build new concessions and restrooms on both sides....

- - - Updated - - -

They added lights and a new FB Fieldhouse about 15 months ago, and put in FieldTurf about 3 months ago......later they'll update the visitor's stands and build new concessions and restrooms on both sides....

Libertine
August 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM

"Later" being the operative and extremely relative term here.

jsnow84
August 19th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Their stadium is almost high-school ready. They have played a bit better the last couple of years. Their talent is solid, but very, very thin. I believe Troy wins by 18-21 points.

coastalalum
August 19th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I remember running a track meet there in 1993. And until those upgrades happened in the last couple of years, the place hadn't changed a bit in 20 years.

New Bucs Fan
August 31st, 2015, 08:01 PM

This is a very winnable game for CSU. We lost our top 4, yes 4, wide receivers in the offseason last year. They are all back. Our QB can actually throw now. Two biggest offensive losses were RG and RB. Biggest defensive losses were the defensive line. Almost all of them. The inconsistency and sometimes questionable playcalling are things that have to be overcome.