PDA

View Full Version : HEY APP STATE...

The Gadfly
November 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
. . . after the game with Coastal, would you want us in the SoCon? Why/Why not? :confused:

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Sounds good to me. CCU has demonstrated committment to quality in its short time as a football school; there doesn't seem to be any reason to expect anything less if the Chants join the SoCon.

CCU pretty much played a SoCon schedule this season, and more than held their own against some of the conference's best. There's probably more to the move than that, but on the surface it looks pretty good.

BrevardMountaineer03
November 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
With seeing the score only...
I would want CCU in the Socon, they played their hearts to try and comeback...I reward anyone who is willing to not give up.

'neers79
November 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I think CCU fits better into the SOCON than they do in the Big South. They are competitive with our teams, and if they are left in the Big South too much longer, they will be too dominate there.

ncguitarplyr
November 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
yeah i think ccu would be great in the socon...but don't we need to add 3 more teams on top of ccu to expand?

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Rumor is that when the schools met and voted that ASU, Furman, and Wofford voted no. The other schools said they did not care.

Mr. C, you heard anything about this?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Rumor is that when the schools met and voted that ASU, Furman, and Wofford voted no. The other schools said they did not care.

Mr. C, you heard anything about this?
Didn't have time to talk to John Iamarino yesterday, even though we we in the same room together twice (had five stories to write yesterday, whew). There was some talk about a vote that had been taken, but I didn't hear anything about the results.

gophoenix
November 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM

If that is true, then isn't that enough? Do they only need 8 votes to get a new team in? And if no one else voted no, then that would seem prime to get Coastal in. But, seeing as it is just a rumor....

psc2445
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
i have always been fine with the idea of coastal joining the socon, and their admins attempts to beef up scheduling has helped even more. bring it on, plus one more reason to head to my golfing mecca

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
. . . after the game with Coastal, would you want us in the SoCon? Why/Why not? :confused:

I think if we can get Samford and Jacksonville State to join, I'd have no problem with that. It'd give us 2 decent sized publics, and a private in a large market...CCU is going to improve every year, and they are much closer the type of schools in the SoCon than they are to the schools in the Big South as far as goals, ambition, etc.

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
If a SoCon team moves up to I-A, let Coastal in. Heck, we can demote a bad SoCon team and put Coastal in. They prove that they can at least compete with the big boys.

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure why some people think we need 3 teams to expand rather than just 1. I like the idea of CCU in the SoCon. It'll give our players a chance to go to MB at least every other year! Maybe play the games on Friday so they can at least enjoy the Sat. night life win or loose.:smiley_wi

As for 3 more SoCon teams, that many would force us to split into 2 divisions. I like not having to wonder who's really the best in the conference. Let's keep playing everyone every season.

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I agree, add coastal and leave it at that, either coastal or Jvill state. I also just want one school to come in.

bobbythekidd
November 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
If a SoCon team moves up to I-A, let Coastal in. Heck, we can demote a bad SoCon team and put Coastal in. They prove that they can at least compete with the big boys.
Does someone HAVE to move out if CCU moves in? Do 3 teams need to come in to expand? Anyone that knows, please enlighten me.

ncguitarplyr
November 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM
i read an article that said if we were to expand we would need 4teams but that the socon guy in charge said he thought we could find them

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
i read an article that said if we were to expand we would need 4teams but that the socon guy in charge said he thought we could find them

Again, WHY would we need more than 1 team to expand?!? Is it for some other sports? Why 4 more teams? We've got 11 schools for all but football, why would we want 15 schools?!? xidiotx

ASU Kep
November 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
It'd be weird that Furman, Wofford, and us were the only 'no' votes. Furman and Wofford gain another close travel partner and we gain another large, public school.

UTC and GSU should be the ones pissed (unless FU and Woffy feel CCU will make their recruiting tougher).

ncguitarplyr
November 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
after further research im seeing that they want either a 12 or 14 member conference....uncw declined...ut-chattanooga is staying...coastal definitly wants to join...winthrop is a candidate for non-football...and vmi seems like they don't wanna come back cause they couldn't compete...etsu is a possibility...jacksonville state and samford are being looked at...winston salem state and savannah state are also being looked at....plus theres always tons of speculation that app and ga southern will move up to bowl division and join the sunbelt or conference usa (here's hoping that we try to join conference usa and if we can't we stay put until we can)

gophoenix
November 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I seriously doubt Savannah State is being looked at. And Winston-Salem State expressed interest but has already been voted into the MEAC.

Someone in Greensboro told me A&T is a possibility with their admins being worried about NC Central and WSSU coming to the MEAC that the MEAC dumps the playoffs for a championship and heritage bowl type setup.

Why 14 and a 3 team expansion? Ask the new commish, he's the one that seems sold on the idea.

DinoDex200
November 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
It'd be weird that Furman, Wofford, and us were the only 'no' votes. Furman and Wofford gain another close travel partner and we gain another large, public school.

UTC and GSU should be the ones pissed (unless FU and Woffy feel CCU will make their recruiting tougher).

ASU has had success in the fertile recruiting grounds that are Greater Fayetteville and the Midlands of SC...maybe they are worried that having CCU in there would make recruiting those areas tougher?

CCU97
November 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Right now CCU can't compare to the recruits that App St gets....the players you guys have are just for whatever reason not recruited by IA they can certainly play at that level and have proved it time and time again.

Lapper
November 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I'm keeping my 2005 prediction: Coastal in the SoCon by 2007. :thumbsup:

ASU Kep
November 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
ASU has had success in the fertile recruiting grounds that are Greater Fayetteville and the Midlands of SC...maybe they are worried that having CCU in there would make recruiting those areas tougher?

I doubt it. I think many in the administration realize that chances are we're not going to be CS for too much longer, anyhow. :o

CoastalFan2005
November 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM
As far as basketball goes, I believe we discussed in the past that the SoCon is below the Big South in overall basketball rankings...so Winthrop moving to the SoCon would at best be a lateral move for them. :twocents:

asu70
November 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'm keeping my 2005 prediction: Coastal in the SoCon by 2007. :thumbsup:
I hope you are correct because I think CCU would be a great addition to the Socon. Your fans traveled better to kBS than several schools in the conference for football, and certainly MB is a great place to travel to when opposing teams play you guys. JMHO.

gophoenix
November 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
As far as basketball goes, I believe we discussed in the past that the SoCon is below the Big South in overall basketball rankings...so Winthrop moving to the SoCon would at best be a lateral move for them.

I don't know how you figure that. The Big South was better than the SoCon in basketball 1 year since 1999 when Elon joined the Big South and then the SoCon and that was last year. And even if you want to talk lateral move, talk attendance and how SoCon fans travel for basketball and you give Winthrop a real reason.