PDA

View Full Version : USD-Monmouth

Go...gate
November 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
This is shaping up to be a great game. Thoughts?

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
i believe san diego will win.

November 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Monmouth must be gritting their teeth and wanting to show off their NEC prowess to the sexy Toreros.

I really feel that Monmouth feels underappreciated and kind of in the shadows. But USD may feel they have a little to prove that they are the no/limited schollie team of 2006.

That all sets up a great story so I hope it is a fantastic game. Better yet that it is on a more readily available channel than the playoffs this week.

Old Cage
November 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I know that the "first annual" is happening, but don't know how/why the teams were selected. Anyone?

th0m
November 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Champs of their respective conferences I think?

rmutv
November 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM
NEC and PFL agreed to have a "bowl game" between the winners of their respective conferences in the summer of 2006. This season it's at the home of the NEC champ; next season at the home of the PFL champ.

Monmouth won the NEC and San Diego the PFL.

If Monmouth or San Diego had gone to the playoffs, the 2nd place team would go to the Classic.

blukeys
November 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Go Monmouth!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
How many scholarships...um, equivalencies does Monmouth carry right now?

And does anyone know how many Stony Brook will have when it moves out of the NEC and becomes a I-AA independent in 2007?

Go...gate
November 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM

And does anyone know how many Stony Brook will have when it moves out of the NEC and becomes a I-AA independent in 2007?

I understand they can give thirty.

danefan
November 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
NEC League max is 30 schollys right now. Before this year it was 30 grant-in-aids.

I believe Monmouth has given about 10 or so and spread them about to a number of people. However, just like most of the NEC teams those scholly's went to freshman...most of which have redshirted and have not yet contributed.

Stony Brook was reported to have given the most in the NEC, which was somewhere in the 20's. I'm pretty sure Stony Brook will have about 45 next year.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I believe SBU will have the full 63 in the next two years... they might have even maxed out their NEC allotment of 30-something already.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I just wish it was on TV. :( I will get to see Monmouth first hand next year in the Tub.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Can't wait for this one... my tickets are on their way! :hurray:

I will have to read more on USD. I've already seen Monmouth play this year... vs. Sacred Heart... and their defense is truly top-notch. The DL is very strong and agile, the secondary plays tight coverage.

Offensively, they are nothign special. However, their RB Sinisi has scored in every game to date. If USD can play defense in this one, it should be very close.... with a final something like 14-10, 17-14. I don't see San Diego lighting up the scoreboard in this one.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I just wish it was on TV. :( I will get to see Monmouth first hand next year in the Tub.

It's on TV.. CSTV, no?

Then again, who gets that channel on regular cable?

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM
It's on TV.. CSTV, no?

Then again, who gets that channel on regular cable?
I thought they said no TV. But if it's on CSTV... like you said, who gets that?

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
GO MONMOUTH!!!

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I thought they said no TV. But if it's on CSTV... like you said, who gets that?

Its on CSTV!

CSTV is available nationally on satellite via DIRECTV (Channel 610) and Dish Network America’s Top 120 package (Channel 152). In New Jersey, CSTV is available through Patriot Media’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 136 and Comcast Cable’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 274. In the San Diego market, CSTV is carried on Time Warner Cable’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 415.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/11/22/fb-gridironclassiccstv.asp?path=fball

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Its on CSTV!

CSTV is available nationally on satellite via DIRECTV (Channel 610) and Dish Network America’s Top 120 package (Channel 152). In New Jersey, CSTV is available through Patriot Media’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 136 and Comcast Cable’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 274. In the San Diego market, CSTV is carried on Time Warner Cable’s Digital Sports Tier on Channel 415.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/11/22/fb-gridironclassiccstv.asp?path=fball

Ugh, but how much does that cost?

I will be tuning in with my eyes, with image enhancement courtesy of my sun glasses! xlolx

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
The Comcast sports pack is 6.95 per month...and worth every penny. You get CSTV (in New England it is Channel 261 (north of Hartford) and FOX Sports Atlantic, Mid West, etc. Speed Channel, Golf Channel, etc.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
The Comcast sports pack is 6.95 per month...and worth every penny.
No esta aqui

danefan
November 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM
In the Albany area CSTV is included in the digital package. Its in the 600's somewhere.

November 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
The Comcast sports pack is 6.95 per month...and worth every penny. You get CSTV (in New England it is Channel 261 (north of Hartford) and FOX Sports Atlantic, Mid West, etc. Speed Channel, Golf Channel, etc.89H...

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
89H...
Already get that one on my basic cable. CSTV is not available to me AFAIK.

Torero Tradition
November 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
The University of San Diego offers the CSTV channel to all their students who live on campus...
hopefully the Toreros have a good showing for all who are watching this weekend.

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM
The University of San Diego offers the CSTV channel to all their students who live on campus...
hopefully the Toreros have a good showing for all who are watching this weekend.

! Wow what a deal!

monmouthhawk
November 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM

That is actually a very cool deal.

danefan
November 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Thats what $40,000 a year will get you!

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thats what $40,000 a year will get you!

Pff... I ask that about Lafayette :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3yards
November 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I believe Monmouth gave 20 scholarships this year and will go to 30 next year.

ereiz03
November 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
The on-campus TV deal at USD is pretty awesome....there are about 7-8 sports channels... ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, FSN West, FSN Prime Ticket, CSTV, and I think that there's one other. Oh yeah....and there are 4 HBO channels as well. :nod:

Dane96
November 28th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I believe Monmouth gave 20 scholarships this year and will go to 30 next year.

I'd believe you would be very wrong. Only one school, SBU, gave more than 20 rides.

Monmouth, like Albany, gave around 12 rides to 20 plus guys.

Albany will be at 20 next year....but the new 10 or so will be FULL RIDES...no spilts.

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Ask a NEC fan how many scholarships their team is providing and you will get 100 different answers. For whatever reason(s), this is one of the best kept secrets in all of college football! One thing is certain, the PFL gives out ZERO scholarships for football. No mystery, no secrets, the number is zero. When USD defeats Monmouth handily, USD will have zero football scholarships and Monmouth will have somewhere between 0 and 30....

JMG1MON
November 29th, 2006, 07:53 AM
According to reports from the Asbury Park Press, Monmouth gave out between 8 and 10 scholarships to around 15-17 players. I could guess as to who those players are, but it would be nothing more than a guess. These guys also haven't played much.

Almost definites:
Ryan Skorupa
Brian Callahan
Joe Cella
Bobby Cole
Nick Romeo
Probably either Andrew Mandeville or Ryan Folsom
Joe Arneth

Those are almost certain. After that, it is a guessing game, as I am not familiar with the linemen and the rest of the players. As for it being a secret, why wouldn't it be?? Its none of our business as to who has a scholarship and who doesn't. Its not like its full scholarship football, where 90+% of the team has full rides, and it really isn't hard to guess who has them. And nice of you to already set up the excuse after Monmouth wins. Monmouth gives scholarships, USD doesn't. As I said, of the above listed, Skorupa hasn't really been in the running back rotation since the middle of the season. Callahan has played in one game this season. Cella has played twice, and Arneth, Cole, Romeo and Folsom haven't played. Mandeville is the punter.

Dane96
November 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Ask a NEC fan how many scholarships their team is providing and you will get 100 different answers. For whatever reason(s), this is one of the best kept secrets in all of college football! One thing is certain, the PFL gives out ZERO scholarships for football. No mystery, no secrets, the number is zero. When USD defeats Monmouth handily, USD will have zero football scholarships and Monmouth will have somewhere between 0 and 30....

Hmmmm...did you not post the "institutional aid" given to Dayton players.

Look, my only problem with the PFL is the scheduling.

However, if you want to sit here and tell me that Dayton, USD, or any other players dont receive "found aid"....find another village idiot to sell it to.

I have a close friend who was recruited by two PFL schools. His parents were above middle class money makers. THEY FOUND HIM MONEY....

It goes on in DIII...and it certainly goes on in the PFL.

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Of course PFL schools grant aid to students that are also football players.... But, in the eyes of the "old guard", PFL schools are full of nothing but walk-ons that decided to play football on a whim.... Most folks do not choose to believe me when I claim that a very large number of PFL players were also recruited by the Ivy, NEC and PL.... Check out USD's website. When you click on a player from the roster, it will usually tell you what other schools recruited the player. For crying out loud, there are still folks here that do not think USD could defeat Mount Union! In truth, I expect the USD / Monmouth game to be a fairly easy win for USD. If USD does not win by more than two TD's, I will be suprised. Of course that is why they play the game! As for schedules, it will come with time. PFL schools have played many scholly schools in the past and most of the time we got hammered, MSU/GSU last season come to mind for example.... Dayton playing Robert Morris and Fordham next season in OOC games is a step in the right direction. Drake usually plays one or two scholly teams a year. Jacksonville and Davidson do as well. Butler and Valpo are still too far down to schedule up. Not much is gained by losing games 68-7. USD will be the interesting case. I hope they upgrade their schedule over the next few years. Note that we have won some games, Davidson over Georgetown, USD over Yale, twice. Dayton lost to Yale by a TD as recently as 2004. USD lost to Princeton by 3 last season.... PFL bashing is justnot warranted! This is a CS league with some very good teams!

Gordon Shumway
November 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Dane96....Didn't you know that Josh Johnson is paying his own way to go to USD.xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm with you on how disingenuous these PFL guys can be when discussing financial aid. Sure they don't give "athletic" scholarships, but 69% of the student body at USD gets some form of scholarship assistance. I think it would be safe to assume the football team gets some of that money. As it was said in a recent thread discussing this topic: If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's a duck. At least the Patriot League guys are open and honest about the use of financial aid that is not "athletic" aid.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Of course PFL schools grant aid to students that are also football players.... But, in the eyes of the "old guard", PFL schools are full of nothing but walk-ons that decided to play football on a whim.... Most folks do not choose to believe me when I claim that a very large number of PFL players were also recruited by the Ivy, NEC and PL.... Check out USD's website. When you click on a player from the roster, it will usually tell you what other schools recruited the player. For crying out loud, there are still folks here that do not think USD could defeat Mount Union! In truth, I expect the USD / Monmouth game to be a fairly easy win for USD. If USD does not win by more than two TD's, I will be suprised. Of course that is why they play the game! As for schedules, it will come with time. PFL schools have played many scholly schools in the past and most of the time we got hammered, MSU/GSU last season come to mind for example.... Dayton playing Robert Morris and Fordham next season in OOC games is a step in the right direction. Drake usually plays one or two scholly teams a year. Jacksonville and Davidson do as well. Butler and Valpo are still too far down to schedule up. Not much is gained by losing games 68-7. USD will be the interesting case. I hope they upgrade their schedule over the next few years. Note that we have won some games, Davidson over Georgetown, USD over Yale, twice. Dayton lost to Yale by a TD as recently as 2004. USD lost to Princeton by 3 last season.... PFL bashing is just not warranted! This is a CS league with some very good teams!

Woooah, hold the phone there cowboy... sounds like you are a bit high on USD without any knowledge (or care to learn any) about Monmouth. They have outstanding defense, great lineman, and Johnson will likely be kept off balance frequently on Saturday. Monmouth held Colgate in check and CCSU... they are nothing to sneeze at. This will be a very close game, and this non-sense statement shows how crazy this PFL and USD talk has gotten.... begging to be recognized without going out there and proving it. If USD does dominate Monmouth, that will be something to talk about.

Yes it is warranted... your league can't get respect with teams like Valpo, Butler, and Morehead St. USD beating Yale really does not say much. It is against ONLY one team.... there is no general pattern here to prove that USD is good. You can't just beat one team (mediocre to boot in 2004, 2005) from a good league and use it as evidence for a power program.

Like it has been said, upgrade to tougher schedules, win/lose some close games, and then you will have an arguement. I did not take the NEC seriously until this year when they developed a GENERAL PATTERN OF WINNING against power teams. Patriot was in the same position until the late 1990s.

JMG1MON
November 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Of course PFL schools grant aid to students that are also football players.... But, in the eyes of the "old guard", PFL schools are full of nothing but walk-ons that decided to play football on a whim.... Most folks do not choose to believe me when I claim that a very large number of PFL players were also recruited by the Ivy, NEC and PL.... Check out USD's website. When you click on a player from the roster, it will usually tell you what other schools recruited the player. For crying out loud, there are still folks here that do not think USD could defeat Mount Union! In truth, I expect the USD / Monmouth game to be a fairly easy win for USD. If USD does not win by more than two TD's, I will be suprised. Of course that is why they play the game! As for schedules, it will come with time. PFL schools have played many scholly schools in the past and most of the time we got hammered, MSU/GSU last season come to mind for example.... Dayton playing Robert Morris and Fordham next season in OOC games is a step in the right direction. Drake usually plays one or two scholly teams a year. Jacksonville and Davidson do as well. Butler and Valpo are still too far down to schedule up. Not much is gained by losing games 68-7. USD will be the interesting case. I hope they upgrade their schedule over the next few years. Note that we have won some games, Davidson over Georgetown, USD over Yale, twice. Dayton lost to Yale by a TD as recently as 2004. USD lost to Princeton by 3 last season.... PFL bashing is justnot warranted! This is a CS league with some very good teams!

Sorry, but you can't trust USD or the students on this one. One of my best friends received recruiting letters his junior year from schools from the Big 10, Big 12, Big East and others. He went to Wilkes. However, he was technically recruited by them and if he made those comments, it wouldn't be a lie would they? However, would you call receiving a recruiting letter or two being recruited by a school?? I don't even trust what the students say in terms of offers. If it isn't a written offer, it isn't really an offer (verbal offers mean nothing, just like verbal commitments mean nothing until signing the LOI).

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Granted, there is no way to know how strongly any school recruits a kid or if the school offered anything.... I know of several cases personally, on different PFL teams, where players turned down scholarships to "CS State U" in order to go to a better PFL school in their opinion. In most cases, the students got aid from the PFL school, but it was not anything like the full ride they gave up to "CS State U". Schools like USD, Drake, Dayton, Davidson, Valpo and Butler do not have a great deal of difficulty attracting good student/athletes. We can certainly attract kids that might walk onto BS teams, and we have absolutely had success recruiting against the PL, Ivy and NEC. USD has even landed some true BS transfers....

Seahawks Fan
November 29th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Monmouth, I can assure you, is no Azusa, Dixie State, Davidson, Butler or Valparaiso. The Hawks will more than hold their own in this game.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Monmouth, I can assure you, is no Azusa, Dixie State, Davidson, Butler or Valparaiso. The Hawks will more than hold their own in this game.

A Wagner guy eh? Welcome aboard!

Fordham
November 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM
GO MONMOUTH! This season started with them making me puke in week 1 so it's fitting that it'll hopefully end with me cheering them on to end the season (pretty much end it at least).

And for those that get Time Warner - their sports pack includes CSTV & all the Fox Sports channels for less than $2 month and you can just cancel later on in the month if you don't want to keep paying it for add'l months.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM

This Colgate fan heartily agrees with your assessment.

ereiz03
November 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I think that most USD fans agree. We know that this is going to be a tough game. :hurray:

AggiePride
November 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I'm taking Monmnouth over a deflated USD.

ereiz03
November 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
AggiePride- how could you turn your back on your California brothers like that?! :p

3yards
November 30th, 2006, 12:12 AM
It should be a close competitive game. Monmouth is no Butler, but also no UC Davis. Is Monmouth as good as Yale?

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I have stated it before, and not many agree, but I really think this is a fairly easy win for USD. My prediction is for at least a two TD win by USD. At the beginning of the season when the NEC teams were playing and winning games against fully funded CS teams, I thought the PFL was doomed in the Gridiron Classic. As the season wore on, and I saw how amazing USD was this year, I changed my mind. I have seen USD play the last two years, at Dayton and in San Diego this year. You folks in Monmouth are in for a treat in watching JJ go up against your very good defense! Throw Rogan in the mix, and USD is going to score points. USD's defense is not as good as the offense, but I think they will match up well with Monmouth. I do not anticipate a shutout, but I do see a big win by USD. I suspect that USD fans may think the same in private, but most will not say so publically on a message board.... Granted, the only NEC team I saw this year was Robert Morris in their loss to Dayton. RM played well in the NEC, so this further bolsters my feelings that USD rolls in this game. And just for the record, BOTH of these teams should have been in the playoffs this season!

Dane96
November 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Why wouldnt they say it on a message board? USD fans have run their mouths for last two months.

And BTW, you should learn two things:

1. HUMILITY- You have shown little...instead allowing your emotions to constantly take over.

2. FORMATION OF AN ARGUMENT- "No really, Ms. Saigon is the best Broadway show. Granted I have only seen one Broadway show..."

You sound silly when you say San Diego would blow out an NEC team...when you have seen 1 team from the NEC (in one of the first games of the year....and we all have argued that RMU was starting mostly frosh and sophs at that time).

USD may blow out or win big against Monmouth...maybe not. But to sit here and say it is your opinion it shall be so based on ONE performance of a team that didnt win the NEC....well...it shows alot about your logical reasoning capacities...and sums up everyone's disdain for the PFL and the USD fans who have been ripping the rest of the CS for inclusion, etc...all season.

It is one thing to clamor for a auto-bid to the party (I am with you on this one)...but the other stuff you spew....

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM
You know what they say they are like.... I do not claim to be some master football guru that can accurately predict the outcome of a game.... I do, however, have an opinion, based on what I have personally experienced, read and feel, that I will express on a message board. I also thought USD would defeat UCD.... Oh well.... In sports, pal, logic does not always factor in to the equation, and teams that should win on paper do not always win.... Do I expect a NEC fan to change his mind on the outcome of the Gridiron Classic based on my compelling and logical argument? Come on, get real.... USD fans have taken a terrible beating on this board and even the most brazen will not predict a big win. I am a PFL fan, and primarily a Dayton fan. I have some freedom to express my opinion without inflaming anywhere near the same number of folks that a USD fan might.... If Dayton were playing, I would probably predict a close game even if I thought they would win big.... Maybe I am wrong, but as of today, I do not think so. USD by at least two TD's. On Saturday afternoon, if by some small chance I am wrong, come back here and gloat if it will make you feel better....

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I have stated it before, and not many agree, but I really think this is a fairly easy win for USD. My prediction is for at least a two TD win by USD. At the beginning of the season when the NEC teams were playing and winning games against fully funded CS teams, I thought the PFL was doomed in the Gridiron Classic. As the season wore on, and I saw how amazing USD was this year, I changed my mind. I have seen USD play the last two years, at Dayton and in San Diego this year. You folks in Monmouth are in for a treat in watching JJ go up against your very good defense! Throw Rogan in the mix, and USD is going to score points. USD's defense is not as good as the offense, but I think they will match up well with Monmouth. I do not anticipate a shutout, but I do see a big win by USD. I suspect that USD fans may think the same in private, but most will not say so publically on a message board.... Granted, the only NEC team I saw this year was Robert Morris in their loss to Dayton. RM played well in the NEC, so this further bolsters my feelings that USD rolls in this game. And just for the record, BOTH of these teams should have been in the playoffs this season!

Seeing Dayton beat Robert Morris is a very poor indicator/leap of logic to use in predicting San Diego winning big over Monmouth. It is not representative of the PFL and NEC at-large.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Got my USD-Monmouth tickets in the mail yesterday!

Also got a flyer from USD law school. Jeez.. San Diego is invading my life everywhere... :rotateh:

JMG1MON
November 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I ordered mine on Tuesday and the lady I spoke with said you should have them by Saturday if we mail them today. I decided on Will Call. Wasn't going to take my chances. BTW, if anyone is picking up at will call, get there early. The line is going to be pretty long. At last check, 1700 tix have been sold, the most advance sales for a game all season. :hurray: With that said, its championship Saturday for New Jersey high schools, so that could hurt walk ups. Students never have to pay for games, so this could also have something to do with the high advance sales.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I ordered mine on Tuesday and the lady I spoke with said you should have them by Saturday if we mail them today. I decided on Will Call. Wasn't going to take my chances. BTW, if anyone is picking up at will call, get there early. The line is going to be pretty long. At last check, 1700 tix have been sold, the most advance sales for a game all season. :hurray: With that said, its championship Saturday for New Jersey high schools, so that could hurt walk ups. Students never have to pay for games, so this could also have something to do with the high advance sales.

I ordered Monday, asked about will call, and elected to go with the mail. Only took two days, and I'm in North Jersey.

monmouthhawk
November 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061130/SPORTS02/611300502/1010

By Stephen Edelson
Full text:

It came from the West Coast!

San Diego QB "a nightmare"
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 11/30/06
BY STEPHEN EDELSON
STAFF WRITER

WEST LONG BRANCH — The three University of San Diego game films that arrived last Tuesday were akin to Hitchcock classics for a defensive coordinator.

They were the kind of video that causes even the best game-planners to wake up in a cold sweat, if they're able to sleep at all.

Consequently, Monmouth University's Andy Bobick, his eyes burning and mind racing, has far exceeded the legal limit for big-play viewing, with the horrifying image of No. 11 in the purple jersey now indelibly etched on his brain.

"I'm tired," the Hawks' defensive guru said with a laugh, but only half-kidding, after nine days of watching quarterback Josh Johnson star in what could be how-to tapes on running the West Coast offense.

"He's a nightmare, because he's very efficient throwing the ball, and when he has nowhere to throw he pulls the ball down and runs with it."

The raw numbers tell the story of the scariest weapon on the Division I-AA landscape, with the 6-foot-3, 190-pound junior leading the nation in total offense at 341.5 yards per game, including 285.5 passing and 56 rushing, and points responsible for at 26.2. He's completing 66.9 percent of his passes, with 34 TDs and just four interceptions, while producing a gaudy efficiency rating of 174.8.

"He's as good a quarterback as we've ever seen," added head coach Kevin Callahan as the Hawks brace for Saturday's showdown with the high-powered Toreros at Kessler Field in the Gridiron Classic.

The irony is that four years ago Johnson was hardly the type of physical specimen any school was beating the bushes to find, checking in at 5-11, 145 pounds when he attended the Stanford combine prior to his senior year. But one of the first places Toreros coach Jim Harbaugh began looking for players three years ago was in Oakland, where he had spent the previous two seasons as an assistant coach with the Raiders.

"The first school I visited, the coach told me I needed to go to Oakland Tech and check out their quarterback," Harbaugh recalled. "So I drove five blocks, got to meet Josh and almost immediately after walking in, my first impression was how astute he was. He was in such command of the high school. He knew where the guidance counselors were, and just struck you as a leader."

Johnson is now 21-2 as a starter and finished sixth in this year's voting for the Walter Payton Award, Division I-AA's equivalent to the Heisman Trophy. And while the Toreros' focus is squarely on winning a second straight mid-major national championship, Harbaugh, who put in 15 years as an NFL quarterback, feels Johnson has what it takes to play on Sundays.

"I think he can be a Day One draft pick," he said. "He's better than he was last year, and he gets better and better each week. He's got a thirst for knowledge about this game. He's very smart and he's a competitor. He's got "it,' whatever "it' is."

Johnson wouldn't be the first signal caller to make a successful leap from this level to the NFL. But while Dallas' Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois), Arizona's Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa) and Baltimore's Steve McNair (Alcorn State) are shining examples, Johnson, his feet firmly planted on terra firma, won't allow himself to consider the possibility.

"That is so far away right now, there's no reason for me to worry about it," he said. "A lot can happen between now and April of next year. It can all be gone in a second. I just have to continue to get better and focus on playing now, and not worry about later."

The USD offense has cracked the 50-point mark four times this season, averaging 44.3 points.

"I love this offense because it's so quarterback friendly," he said. "Once you understand the ins and outs of it, you understand that 75 percent of the time there's someone open, you just have to find them."

By contrast, the Hawks' defense has surrendered more than 20 points just once this season, and is coming off a shutout at Albany to clinch the NEC title.

"He throws great balls, he runs when he needs to and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes," Hawks senior linebacker Mike Castellano said. "He's definitely the best quarterback we've faced all year."

monmouthhawk
November 30th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think this guy is 190 pounds though... I'm shocked he hasn't been hurt this year!

Can't wait for the game. Go MU!

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Very accurate summary of JJ. He is very frustrating to defend. When I was in San Diego, at the USD / UD game, even when we had the receivers covered, he would run. He is fast, sees the field extremely well, and makes it look easy. Add in a very good back in Rogan, a solid offensive line, and it does get scary.... It would be more fun to watch JJ as an unbiased observer as compared to a fan of the team he is playing against. He is a special talent and IMHO, the best CS QB out there. The other thing not mentioned is that USD shifts the offense around like no other team I have ever seen. They run complicated sets, and they do it with machine like precision. I hope alot of folks get to see this game on CSTV. JJ just might become another household name like some guy named McNair a while back....

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't think this guy is 190 pounds though... I'm shocked he hasn't been hurt this year!

Can't wait for the game. Go MU!

Well, he hasn't exactly played physical teams like UMass, Montana or Cal Poly.

What were his numbers vs. UCD?

Should be a good one Saturday.. can't wait.

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/112506-usd-ucd.html

If I saw it right, JJ ran for 31 yards on 12 attempts and went 19/39 passing for 344 yards and two TD's. Not a bad day by most standards....

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/112506-usd-ucd.html

If I saw it right, JJ ran for 31 yards on 12 attempts and went 19/39 passing for 344 yards and two TD's. Not a bad day by most standards....

Yes, but it also appears he is their only offense. USD only gained 55 yards rushing on non-Johnson runs, and those 55 yards were produced on only 14 carries. If you perhaps complement that with 150yards rushing and more carries, it might be more impressive.

aceinthehole
November 30th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, but it also appears he is their only offense. USD only gained 55 yards rushing on non-Johnson runs, and those 55 yards were produced on only 14 carries. If you perhaps complement that with 150yards rushing and more carries, it might be more impressive.

I have yet to see USD, but that says it all.

No one has ever said JJ isn't a great player. He could very well be a NFL draft pichk and a sucesssfull QB at the next level. I don't think any NEC fans or poster here can say that the kid isn't a great player, but ....

this is a team sport. JJ accounts for 90% of their offensive threat and production. If you can stop him, you can stop USD. I'm not saying its going to be an easy task for Monmouth, but you have to gameplan around the QB and take your chances that someone else can beat you.

In fact I like Monmouth's chances even better now. Let's say they hold him to 50 yrds rushing, 250 yrds passing, 50 % completions and 1 TD. That's a good game for him, but it won't be enough to beat the Hawks.

The reason why I always thought MU was better than UA and CCSU was be casue they were well balanced. Not taking anything away from very, very good CCSU and UA teams, but we did not have as many threats and options on offense that Monmouth had. They will run a methodical, screen, dump, draw offense and keep the ball moving. They will wear down the USD defense.

I think this will be a good game. Early prediction:
San Diego 20
Monmouth 24

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I agree with that assessment. MU was mixing it up very nicely when I saw them play Sacred Heart. It will be interesting to see if they can keep USD defense off balance... another key will be USD's OL. If Johnson can create that much offense, they might be pretty good... especially since he was able to put up those numbers vs. UCD. Monmouth's DL and LBs are talented and agile, and they will find a way to get into Johnson's face.

ToreroTime
November 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I think this is going to be a great game. The USD O Line has been playing great all year and giving Josh a lot of time while opening holes for their two running back system. As Davis saw, our team speed is one of our biggest assests as the big play potential is always out there.

youwouldno
November 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I was a USD naysayer with regard to the playoffs, but I think they will beat Monmouth. It's true that Johnson basically is their offense, but their defense isn't bad and I find it unlikely that Monmouth will be able to out-strategize Harbaugh.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I was a USD naysayer with regard to the playoffs, but I think they will beat Monmouth. It's true that Johnson basically is their offense, but their defense isn't bad and I find it unlikely that Monmouth will be able to out-strategize Harbaugh.

You mean not be able to out-loud mouth Harbaugh? xlolx

Callahan is a very capable x and o guy.. great east vs. west match-up too!

Go...gate
November 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM

By Stephen Edelson
Full text:

It came from the West Coast!

San Diego QB "a nightmare"
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 11/30/06
BY STEPHEN EDELSON
STAFF WRITER

WEST LONG BRANCH — The three University of San Diego game films that arrived last Tuesday were akin to Hitchcock classics for a defensive coordinator.

They were the kind of video that causes even the best game-planners to wake up in a cold sweat, if they're able to sleep at all.

Consequently, Monmouth University's Andy Bobick, his eyes burning and mind racing, has far exceeded the legal limit for big-play viewing, with the horrifying image of No. 11 in the purple jersey now indelibly etched on his brain.

"I'm tired," the Hawks' defensive guru said with a laugh, but only half-kidding, after nine days of watching quarterback Josh Johnson star in what could be how-to tapes on running the West Coast offense.

"He's a nightmare, because he's very efficient throwing the ball, and when he has nowhere to throw he pulls the ball down and runs with it."

The raw numbers tell the story of the scariest weapon on the Division I-AA landscape, with the 6-foot-3, 190-pound junior leading the nation in total offense at 341.5 yards per game, including 285.5 passing and 56 rushing, and points responsible for at 26.2. He's completing 66.9 percent of his passes, with 34 TDs and just four interceptions, while producing a gaudy efficiency rating of 174.8.

"He's as good a quarterback as we've ever seen," added head coach Kevin Callahan as the Hawks brace for Saturday's showdown with the high-powered Toreros at Kessler Field in the Gridiron Classic.

The irony is that four years ago Johnson was hardly the type of physical specimen any school was beating the bushes to find, checking in at 5-11, 145 pounds when he attended the Stanford combine prior to his senior year. But one of the first places Toreros coach Jim Harbaugh began looking for players three years ago was in Oakland, where he had spent the previous two seasons as an assistant coach with the Raiders.

"The first school I visited, the coach told me I needed to go to Oakland Tech and check out their quarterback," Harbaugh recalled. "So I drove five blocks, got to meet Josh and almost immediately after walking in, my first impression was how astute he was. He was in such command of the high school. He knew where the guidance counselors were, and just struck you as a leader."

Johnson is now 21-2 as a starter and finished sixth in this year's voting for the Walter Payton Award, Division I-AA's equivalent to the Heisman Trophy. And while the Toreros' focus is squarely on winning a second straight mid-major national championship, Harbaugh, who put in 15 years as an NFL quarterback, feels Johnson has what it takes to play on Sundays.

"I think he can be a Day One draft pick," he said. "He's better than he was last year, and he gets better and better each week. He's got a thirst for knowledge about this game. He's very smart and he's a competitor. He's got "it,' whatever "it' is."

Johnson wouldn't be the first signal caller to make a successful leap from this level to the NFL. But while Dallas' Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois), Arizona's Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa) and Baltimore's Steve McNair (Alcorn State) are shining examples, Johnson, his feet firmly planted on terra firma, won't allow himself to consider the possibility.

"That is so far away right now, there's no reason for me to worry about it," he said. "A lot can happen between now and April of next year. It can all be gone in a second. I just have to continue to get better and focus on playing now, and not worry about later."

The USD offense has cracked the 50-point mark four times this season, averaging 44.3 points.

"I love this offense because it's so quarterback friendly," he said. "Once you understand the ins and outs of it, you understand that 75 percent of the time there's someone open, you just have to find them."

By contrast, the Hawks' defense has surrendered more than 20 points just once this season, and is coming off a shutout at Albany to clinch the NEC title.

"He throws great balls, he runs when he needs to and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes," Hawks senior linebacker Mike Castellano said. "He's definitely the best quarterback we've faced all year."

It is spelled "Bobik", and he played for Colgate. Callahan also coached there!

monmouthhawk
November 30th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Best strategy for Callahan against Jimmy H. is to "spike" USD's gatorade.

ToreroTime
November 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Best strategy for Callahan against Jimmy H. is to "spike" USD's gatorade.

How long did it take you to come up with that one?

monmouthhawk
November 30th, 2006, 01:50 PM
How long did it take you to come up with that one?

about 1 second - it's all in good fun.

ToreroTime
November 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I know, I am just bitter that the start time is 9 AM out here.

monmouthhawk
November 30th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I know, I am just bitter that the start time is 9 AM out here.

Oh you'll watch it - i know i would. Nothing beats beer and football for breakfast.

Honestly, I think MU is going to have a rough time with USD. Never know, I'm just hoping they can play them hard.

Dane96
November 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I concur...on all accounts.

My complaints have never, ever been about USD. It was that we didnt know how good they were with the schedule they played.

If they paste Monmouth...that combined with the decent showing at UCD would sell me.

ereiz03
November 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Did that article really say that Johnson was in a PURPLE uniform?!

Dane96- So the only way that you'll be sold on USD is if they crush Monmouth?? Seems a tad unfair to me.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Did that article really say that Johnson was in a PURPLE uniform?!

The only purple teams I know of is Holy Cross, the Minnesota Vikings, and Lehigh following the 142nd game.

MiamiTorero
November 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
USD WILL win this game whether by 1 or by 70 USD WILL win it. when the game is over I'll be back to say I told you so.

danefan
November 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM
The article says purple. The picture attached to the article arguably has a hew of purple. I think the author just assumed it was purple.

Looks blue to me though.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
The only purple teams I know of is Holy Cross, the Minnesota Vikings, and Lehigh following the 142nd game.

Northwestern, NYU and Knox College in Galesburg, IL

3yards
November 30th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I'd believe you would be very wrong. Only one school, SBU, gave more than 20 rides.

Monmouth, like Albany, gave around 12 rides to 20 plus guys.

Albany will be at 20 next year....but the new 10 or so will be FULL RIDES...no spilts.

Only Monmouth knows for sure. Again, my understanding is they gave 20 this year and will increase that.

3yards
November 30th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Dane96....Didn't you know that Josh Johnson is paying his own way to go to USD.xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm with you on how disingenuous these PFL guys can be when discussing financial aid. Sure they don't give "athletic" scholarships, but 69% of the student body at USD gets some form of scholarship assistance. I think it would be safe to assume the football team gets some of that money. As it was said in a recent thread discussing this topic: If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's a duck. At least the Patriot League guys are open and honest about the use of financial aid that is not "athletic" aid.

They get no aid more than any non student-athlete. USD only funds up to 60% of need for those who qualify.

UAalum72
November 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Northwestern, NYU and Knox College in Galesburg, IL
Albany, Williams, LSU, TCU, Central Ark.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
University of Washington, Evansville University

Dane96
November 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Only Monmouth knows for sure. Again, my understanding is they gave 20 this year and will increase that.

Correct...yawn...they ANNOUNCED IN THE PAPERS...under 12 rides to 20 players.

gobucknell06
November 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Furman is purple.

monmouthhawk
December 1st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Hawks' offensive line could be the deciding factor vs. San Diego
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 12/1/06
BY TONY GRAHAM
STAFF WRITER

WEST LONG BRANCH — It's the game within the game fans almost never see.

When Monmouth University tailback David Sinisi runs for daylight or Brian Boland drills the ball over the middle to Adam San Miguel, somewhere back along the line of scrimmage, removed from the attention of the rooters, center Tom Mauro or tackle Matt Connolly are probably slowly rising from the turf.

The Sinisi run or Boland completion means the offensive line has accomplished its mission.

"I love the position because there's always hitting,'' said Mauro, a fifth-year senior and Middletown High School South graduate. "We don't get a lot of recognition but, to me, when someone gets a 100-yard game, that's a good enough recognition for me.

"It's fun just banging down in the trenches with these guys,'' Connolly said. "When somebody scores we know we did our job.''

The veteran offensive line of Monmouth (10-1) will be hoping to "do the job'' again Saturday when the Northeast Conference champion Hawks (10-1) host No. 16 University of San Diego, champions of the Pioneer League, in the first Gridiron Classic.

The game was arranged last winter by the leagues to assure their respective champions would participate in the postseason.

"When you put somebody on their back or you see one of these guys make a good block it's a lot of fun,'' Connolly said.

"Early in the year when Sinisi got his first 100-yard game it really got us all excited,'' Mauro said. "That's what keeps us striving.''

Striving for the Hawks this season have been Mauro and Connolly, guards Bob Skellenger and Jonathan Dunn, and tackle Nick LoCastro, the lone non-senior on the line.

Connolly and Dunn were named All-NEC First team helping fellow all-NEC first teamer Boland, who engineered the league's second-highest scoring offense.

They've paid the price to succeed.

"You get banged up,'' Mauro said. "I've had two knee surgeries, Matt has had a couple of surgeries, our hands are always messed up. But that's just part of the game.''

"Having a fifth-year senior (Mauro) who has started for four years has really helped us,'' said Brian Gabriel, Monmouth's offensive line coach.

Mauro moved from guard to center, replacing last year's fifth-year senior John Castoro.

"I think physically we've done a great job this year,'' Gabriel said. "Matt Connolly has battled though some injuries but has played very well.

"Nick LoCastro, as a young player on the left side, has been a very good football player, Jon Dunn has really developed as an All-League selection, a big physical guy who can push people around and he protects very well. It's been a nice bonus as to how good he's gotten.''

"We definitely have a lot of experience on the "O' line,'' Boland said. "They've done an outstanding job opening up holes for running backs and protecting me. They've been playing real well collectively as a group.''

Monmouth's line appears to have a size advantage over the defensive line of the Toreros.

"They move around quite well but it's nothing we haven't seen,'' Mauro said. "In our conference we've been lucky in that we've gone against some tremendous "D' lines. It really has helped us prepare for this.

"I don't think there's anything they could do that's something we haven't seen before.''

Saturday will offer some nostalgia for Mauro and Monmouth's other seniors.

"This is my last game,'' Mauro said. "My goal before the year was to end the season at Kessler Field.

"This is it, the last time I'll ever put the pads on, the last time my family will ever watch me. It's pretty exciting.''

How Monmouth plays Saturday may be judged on the performances of Boland and the Monmouth defense as it tries to contain explosive San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson.

Deep in the trenches with Monmouth's offensive line, often obscured from the view from the stands, is where the outcome could be decided.

"That's just how it is,'' Boland said. "Those are the guys that usually do all the work. They just don't usually get the credit for it.''

JMG1MON
December 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM

Again, the Asbury Park Press stated that they gave out around 7 to 8 scholarships to around 12-15 players. This year, they are going to be doing the same, however, it will not be spread out to 12-15 players again. I wouldn't be shocked if it was for 7-8 for 7-8 players.

aceinthehole
December 1st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Again, the Asbury Park Press stated that they gave out around 7 to 8 scholarships to around 12-15 players. This year, they are going to be doing the same, however, it will not be spread out to 12-15 players again. I wouldn't be shocked if it was for 7-8 for 7-8 players.

I think that's what CCSU also did. I think Justise was the only player to get a "full ride." The rest were spred out.

I think this year CCSU is likely to offer about 10-12 rides to no more than 15 players. Most full be fully schollys. I don't know how many of the incoming freshmen will be redshirted, as UA usually does.

CCSU, Monmouth, and UA are basically following a similar formula. SBU was the only team to offer near the 30-player limit.

SDFan
December 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM
In all fairness, sometimes blue shows up purple on film.

And a 1 td game for JJ would not be a good game for him. The man who rushed for 2, caught 1, and threw for 5 in a game. I'm not saying he'll be doing that, but 1td is low for him. He's a great contender, but he has a great support staff, other players, as well. Solid WRs, good line, Underated backs. Plus a coaching staff that has a ton of NFL exprience, 3 guys on the offensive staff have coached at the SHOW.

Pard4Life
December 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
In all fairness, sometimes blue shows up purple on film.

And a 1 td game for JJ would not be a good game for him. The man who rushed for 2, caught 1, and threw for 5 in a game. I'm not saying he'll be doing that, but 1td is low for him. He's a great contender, but he has a great support staff, other players, as well. Solid WRs, good line, Underated backs. Plus a coaching staff that has a ton of NFL exprience, 3 guys on the offensive staff have coached at the SHOW.

A good game for Johnson would be a victory. Period. Who cares about the stats... beating Monmouth should not be taken for granted... but this could go either way.. 50-50..

DetroitFlyer
December 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
I was at that game in San Diego. Suffice it to say that watching JJ do that to my Flyers was not a pleasant experience....

DetroitFlyer
December 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Lafayette / Monmouth, that is about a 50/50 game IMHO! USD/Monmouth, USD should be favored by at least 7, and I think they will win by more!

SDFan
December 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM
A good game for Johnson would be a victory. Period. Who cares about the stats... beating Monmouth should not be taken for granted... but this could go either way.. 50-50..

Someone brought up what a good games stats would be, so I was just answering them.

But I agree, JJ is the type of kid who want the win, not the stats. I mean look at how he handles himself with the media, when they ask about the NFL, he's still that good-natured guy who shrugs it off.

That's what USD is developing, classy young men.

NC Aggie
December 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Someone brought up what a good games stats would be, so I was just answering them.

But I agree, JJ is the type of kid who want the win, not the stats. I mean look at how he handles himself with the media, when they ask about the NFL, he's still that good-natured guy who shrugs it off.

That's what USD is developing, classy young men.

I do hear he's (JJ) got quite the potty mouth. He and old bud Cal RB Marshawn Lynch were exploring the finer points of the English language at the UC Davis game. Of course I hear Marshawn's favorite book it "Cat in the Hat"

I do expect USD to win, but not by a lot. The game may be decided by the line of scrimmage play. Davis wore down USD in the second half.

3yards
December 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
I do hear he's (JJ) got quite the potty mouth. He and old bud Cal RB Marshawn Lynch were exploring the finer points of the English language at the UC Davis game. Of course I hear Marshawn's favorite book it "Cat in the Hat"

I do expect USD to win, but not by a lot. The game may be decided by the line of scrimmage play. Davis wore down USD in the second half.

Let us be respectable here. Josh Johnson is competitive, but a great person. And Marshawn said he would rather Josh win the Payton award then win the Heisman himself. That says something about both those two.
The Monmouth USD game should be very close. Monmouth is a very good team, and the NEC is a better conference than the PFL. USD would be fortunate to win by any margin at Monmouth. And Monmouth has been resting while USD was playing a tough game at UC Davis.

3yards
December 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM

Yes, this game should be 50/50. A lot will be determined by turnovers. And how effective both teams will be rushing.

NC Aggie
December 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Let us be respectable here. Josh Johnson is competitive, but a great person. And Marshawn said he would rather Josh win the Payton award then win the Heisman himself. That says something about both those two.
The Monmouth USD game should be very close. Monmouth is a very good team, and the NEC is a better conference than the PFL. USD would be fortunate to win by any margin at Monmouth. And Monmouth has been resting while USD was playing a tough game at UC Davis.

I guess I respect his athletic abiltity and not his mouth. That's just me. Saw Pete Carroll give the F-bomb very intentionally to either a ref or coach at the Oregon game on TV. Not a good example IMO.

Hope all enjoy a good game.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Well, at least this time I got it right. I have said USD by at least two TD's several times and USD covered me! USD should have really been playing in the other silly tournament going on in CS.... Drake / Monmouth would have been a much closer game....

3yards
December 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Well, at least this time I got it right. I have said USD by at least two TD's several times and USD covered me! USD should have really been playing in the other silly tournament going on in CS.... Drake / Monmouth would have been a much closer game....

I agree. Especially after seeing how well Montana State is competing with Appalachian State. MSU shot themselves in the foot tonight. MSU lost to UCDavis 45-0 at MSU this year. USD played Davis very tough, and played good enough to beat Monmouth even though offense was not on.