PDA

View Full Version : App St. & CCU posters!!

Chants '07
November 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Ahhhh......I just got back to my apartment in myrtle beach!!

I had a great time at KBS last night! Although I wish the outcome had been a little different I am so proud of the way our guys fought back and never once let up in the 2nd half after being down 31 at halftime. The CCU fan base made a very impressive showing yesterday.

ASU-

You have a lot to be proud of, I love everything from the thing you guys do from the pregame cheers to the thing with the band before every kickoff. GREAT college football atmosphere!

Armanti Edwards is going to drive many a coach crazy over the next 3 years of his days at App. I knew he was good after seeing him in high school, but WOW he is scary good now!!

I gave up a ticket to the USC Clemson game to come to Boone, and as a senior at CCU I don't have one regret. A playoff attendance record was set, it was our first playoff game, and the last game ever for many of my classmates and friends.

I hate that we didn't play the first half the way we did the 2nd, but much of that was due to the way App came out. THE REFS SUCKED, bet hey that's football.

All in All good luck to the mountaineers, this kickin chicken is behind you, heck I might be in Boone next week!! (I was that impressed).

***FYI to everyone in DI-AA**** The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are here. We have come a long way in a very short period, and still have a long way to go, but with Coach Bennet and staff leading the way, don't be surprised if we are right back in the dance next year with the loss of 30+ seniors!

psc2445
November 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
thanks for coming up and we would be happy to have you back, the atmosphere should be better next week with more folks being up on the mountain

Seven Would Be Nice
November 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I hate that we didn't play the first half the way we did the 2nd, but much of that was due to the way App came out. THE REFS SUCKED, bet hey that's football.

If y'all wanna join the SoCon you better get used to that. I'm not sure which conference reffed y'alls game... but the SoCon isnt known for quality refs. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the playoff bid.

Coastal89
November 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
They were from the Patriot League.

hapapp
November 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Ahhhh......I just got back to my apartment in myrtle beach!!

I had a great time at KBS last night! Although I wish the outcome had been a little different I am so proud of the way our guys fought back and never once let up in the 2nd half after being down 31 at halftime. The CCU fan base made a very impressive showing yesterday.

ASU-

You have a lot to be proud of, I love everything from the thing you guys do from the pregame cheers to the thing with the band before every kickoff. GREAT college football atmosphere!

Armanti Edwards is going to drive many a coach crazy over the next 3 years of his days at App. I knew he was good after seeing him in high school, but WOW he is scary good now!!

I gave up a ticket to the USC Clemson game to come to Boone, and as a senior at CCU I don't have one regret. A playoff attendance record was set, it was our first playoff game, and the last game ever for many of my classmates and friends.

All in All good luck to the mountaineers, this kickin chicken is behind you, heck I might be in Boone next week!! (I was that impressed).

***FYI to everyone in DI-AA**** The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are here. We have come a long way in a very short period, and still have a long way to go, but with Coach Bennet and staff leading the way, don't be surprised if we are right back in the dance next year with the loss of 30+ seniors!

You guys have much to be proud of. Your fans were great and stuck with your team despite being down 31-0 at the half. You guys had much to cheer about in the 2nd half. I was especially impressed with Thigpen. He is a very accurate passer. Your O-line did a good job protecting him.

WUTNDITWAA
November 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM
They were from the Patriot League.

That explains it. The refs aren't on scholarships.xlolx

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That explains it. The refs aren't on scholarships.xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The Gadfly
November 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM
xlolx
That explains it. The refs aren't on scholarships.xlolx xlolx

Dabnus Brickey
November 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
It was my first trip to Boone and ASU you have a great team. My original thought about our invitation was that I hoped we'd justified our selection and hopefully if we get in again, we can play you guys further in the playoffs.
Great stadium, atmosphere ASU...good luck the rest of the way.

BrevardMountaineer03
November 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
CCU fans, you have alot to be proud of, our D doesn't give up that many points...
I wasn't at the game, but the times that I have been at Kidd Brewer it is the best atmosphere I have ever been in...
Good Luck to the Chants'
GO APP!

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM
We hope you come on up this week for another game, wear your Coastal gear!!! We don't mind, I'll bring the beer.

The students will be back in force this week as Thanksgiving break is over now.

The Gadfly
November 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I wish I could get back up there but I gotta work. I will be there if you and the Griz make it to Chatty. Good luck.

AppMan
November 27th, 2006, 02:51 AM
It is late and I'm having trouble sleeping. First of all I am glad the Coastal fans had an enjoyable trip to ASU & the High Country. We have had a lot of negative comments in the past concerning fan behavior and I believe it can be attributed to our quasi-fans (mostly drunken students) who come to the games only as a social outlet, were not there this weekend. The folks at this game were true Mountaineer football fans. Especially the students. They came back early, bought tickets for the game and were very loud and supportive. I am not going to comment on the game as that has been covered quite extensively on a number of threads. Instead I'd like to address ASU, the Coastal situation, and the SoCon. A number of App Fans (including myself) think ASU has outgrown the conference and needs to move on. Ah, but where do we go? If rumors I am hearing are true, Coastal and Samford will be the next conference members, with UNCW as an outside shot. IMO, the addition of someone like Samford would hasten ASU's departure. A lot of folks (and I used to be one of them) look at Coastal in the present and that is a huge mistake. ASU people have their hopes pinned on a possible move to CUSA. A lot of people say it is not possible given ASU's remote location and lack of an airport and major media outlets. Considering ASU's fan base spreads across most of Western NC, a big portion of the Triad and some in the Triangle area, I think that has the least to do with it than anything. A few things to overcome, but still doable in my opinion. However, Coastal has CUSA written all over it. Destination city, playground of the mid-Atlantic, huge potential base of support - individual & corporate, state of SC & county pumping big dollars into the school, improving facilities - like the new basketball arena being built, multiple TV & newspaper outlets, regional airport in their backdoor, the list goes on and on. People had better recognize this is a shooting star and they won't be around very long. The school has so much more going for it than anyone else in the Big South. IMO, outside of ASU there is nobody in the SoCon with the same ability to go places like Coastal. Unless they get new leadership, I fear GSU has pretty much decided they are happy to be a big fish in a small pond. A mandate that could also come from the state of Georgia. ASU would do well to partner up with this crowd from Coastal and ride the wave together.

Ol Blue
November 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Congratulations to App on a great game. I was really happy to see CCU put it together second half. After seeing App's offense operate the opening drive of the game I would have been shellshocked had I been out there. Their blocking is unbelievably effective. If I was CCU I would be second guessing myself about moving to that conference for a while.

As a fan of the Big South and a CSU supporter I have to say I was proud of the way CCU came out and put it together in the second half. You represented the Big South very well against a dominating SoCon powerhouse.

Dabnus Brickey
November 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words. AppMan, it would be cool to dominate the SoCon together but I don't see us in C-USA. That would be a bit much to think about right now.

AppMan
November 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words. AppMan, it would be cool to dominate the SoCon together but I don't see us in C-USA. That would be a bit much to think about right now.

You are jumping the gun on me here. I merely intended to imply Coastal - when the facilities are built and the fan base gets large enough - would be a perfect match for CUSA. Yes there is much work to do, but one look at South Florida, who didn't have a program 15 years ago and now are in the Big East, and you guys should realize you have a great opportunity to leapfrog over a bunch of people some day.

Coastal89
November 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
You are jumping the gun on me here. I merely intended to imply Coastal - when the facilities are built and the fan base gets large enough - would be a perfect match for CUSA. Yes there is much work to do, but one look at South Florida, who didn't have a program 15 years ago and now are in the Big East, and you guys should realize you have a great opportunity to leapfrog over a bunch of people some day.
This could have been speculation, but I've heard that CCU plans to build a new 36,000 seat stadium, across Hwy. 501 on land they own, within a few years. Brooks Stadium would become the soccer stadium.

bodoyle
November 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
This could have been speculation, but I've heard that CCU plans to build a new 36,000 seat stadium, across Hwy. 501 on land they own, within a few years. Brooks Stadium would become the soccer stadium.

Why would they do that, and break ground on the fieldhouse last weekend?

CCU97
November 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM

This first stadium is just a stepping stone....the area they built is only capable of holding so many fans.....

Also, both Moose and CDB have discussed that Coastal's long-term goal will be IA football. That is at least 10 years from now but it is very realistic if they continue to improve and build the fan base as Appman stated.

Coastal has built a good foundation and with the continued support of the community and continued improvment of the program they can get there one day....just not today.:twocents:

lizrdgizrd
November 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM
If they're going to build another stadium eventually, they still need good facilities to keep the program going. Plus they'll need somewhere for the soccer players once football moves to the new stadium.

Dabnus Brickey
November 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I love the thought, but I don't see us going IA before Appy. St. It just doesn't make sense.

Souza
November 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I interviewed Matt Hogue my freshman year, and he said from all his conversations with the sports administration along with Dr. Ingle, the move to D-1 was planned. He said it was a 12-15 year process before we moved, but that has been the main goal, on top of winning in 1-AA (CS).

Dabnus Brickey
November 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I just don't want to jump the gun on it. It worries me.

CCU97
November 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
It worries us all....but we need to win big at this level first...we have done well so far but we have to keep improving!

CoastalFan2005
November 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I remember us discussing the new football stadium...it sort of makes me wonder if maybe the basketball arena they're starting on is being built too small in comparison to their goals?

Also, I've heard rumors that Brooks Stadium is going to be a horseshoe by next season. Does the administration really think that we're going to draw ten to fifteen thousand people for a soccer game?

I personally don't think that with all the planning going into expanding Brooks Stadium, that a new 36,000 seat football stadium is going to happen anytime soon. I could be wrong...but I just think that right now, the committment is in the right place by keeping football at Brooks.

rokamortis
November 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I'm glad someone else sees the potential that some of us Coastal fans see in our school.

I think that if we don't get into the SoCon then we need to aim for I-A. It won't be easy or done overnight but I think that would be in the best interest of our school. We certainly have a lot more work to do to make it happen and a lot of this will depend on who our new president is and his vision.

I also don't see how we would build a stadium and keep investing millions of dollars only to convert it to a soccer stadium. From what I've been told, the 20,000 projected maximum capacity of our current stadium is a very low number and with creative engineering that it should get to 30,000+ easily. Now if we ever need anything larger than that then we would need to build new but that might be 50 years down the line.

Tealblood
November 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
We will be playing in Brooks Stadium a long time in can grow well over 20-25,000. We have no plans for another stadium.

Coastal89
November 27th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I-A is what we should be shooting for but we also don't want to become like FIU when we make the move. I just see that hurting the school more than helping.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Instead I'd like to address ASU, the Coastal situation, and the SoCon. A number of App Fans (including myself) think ASU has outgrown the conference and needs to move on. Ah, but where do we go?

If we ever go to the BS (which I hope we don't...especially anytime soon) I think our only two options would be CUSA or the Sun Belt with WKU. In CUSA we would have a built-in rivalry with Marshall.

However, with that being said, I love the fact that every year we have expectations of winning and making the postseason. You have no idea how long we will have to live with low expectations and no chance for playing in the postseason in the BS.

I, for one, love the CS and hope we stay here and make it bigger...maybe one day play the NC on Saturday instead of Friday. I love playing in a postseason that means something. Besides money, what good is it going to do for Michigan to be ranked #3 in the country and play for nothing...the BCS games (other than the title game) mean nothing--who cares...it's just another trophy that says "congratulations, you were almost worthy of playing for the National Championship". I'll stick with the CS for the considerable future, where we still play for something besides money.:twocents:

AppMan
November 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
As with most pro-FCS people your emphasis is totally focused on the post season with an almost total disregard for the regular season. I think a schedule filled with people like Marshall, ECU, Memphis, and the like is far more appealling than the 1-aa schedule we play today. Plus, this year you saw how ridiculous it is getting out there with GW holding us hostage for a home game simply because we could no get enyone else to come to Boone. Everyone is looking for that 8 win season to be in the playoffs. It is no diffferent than the BCS schools going after a safe 6 wins. Give me a great conference regular season schedule, a chance to win a conference championship game, then a bowl at somewhere like Charleston. ect

OldFootballGuy
November 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM
As with most pro-FCS people your emphasis is totally focused on the post season with an almost total disregard for the regular season. I think a schedule filled with people like Marshall, ECU, Memphis, and the like is far more appealling than the 1-aa schedule we play today. Plus, this year you saw how ridiculous it is getting out there with GW holding us hostage for a home game simply because we could no get enyone else to come to Boone. Everyone is looking for that 8 win season to be in the playoffs. It is no diffferent than the BCS schools going after a safe 6 wins. Give me a great conference regular season schedule, a chance to win a conference championship game, then a bowl at somewhere like Charleston. ect

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I've been watching college football for almost 60 years and I like the playoffs. I like to see teams play for a championship which is why I pretty much only follow the CS now. Bowl games used to mean something, 40 years ago when not every school that fielded a team got an invitation. I'll just tell you, you guys have a great thing going in Boone right now. I'd love to make it there for a game sometime, but you move to the BS, an entirely appropriate name by the way, and you're going to lose some momentum. As much as you want to believe that the quality of regular season opponents will make up for the lack of playing for something meaningful, I don't think it will come close. :twocents:

APPSTER
November 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Bring on The Chants - you guys would make excellent members of the SoCon. Congrats on your team and building your tradition.:thumbsup:

I agree with you ASUMountaineer - I'd rather Appalachian dominate in I-AA (FCS) football than languish in I-A. The ones that want us to move up only look at the best case scenario - winning the league and going to a bowl. Think of all the 1-AA programs that have gone I-A over the last few years - not one of them is taken seriously.xlolx Even Boise State - ranked #10 and undefeated this year - nobody takes them seriously. They will go to a bowl and maybe win it, but they will get no respect from anyone. Look at whats happening at Marshall - ugh!:bawling:

I-AA football is different - we take a bunch of great athletes that the I-A schools don't think are worthy of their attention (and a lot of walk ons) and produce great teams that are exciting to watch. Case in point - Armanti Edwards would not be given the chance to play quarterback at most I-A schools - and that would be a shame.

At the I-A level recruiting is all different than at I-AA - you don't go after the same athletes. Right now we can put together awesome teams with "slighty undersized for I-A" guys. That ends when you move up - you start recruiting against other I-A schools. It would take a long time to get good and a lot of road losses to big schools to be able to pay for it. Who wants that?:eek: With this weekend's game at The Rock - that will be 5 home playoff games in 2 years - certainly much more fun than playing Akron in the Muffler bowl on Dec 12.

Long live ASU in the SoCon.