PDA

View Full Version : Redbirds and Hawkeyes

The Yo Show
August 11th, 2015, 11:47 AM
With the big ten's announcement regarding FCS scheduling, I hope every FCS team playing a big ten team upsets them. Interesting enough though, ESPN thinks at least one upset is likely, with this gem: "Iowa has never lost to an FCS foe, but the Redbirds -- with quarterback*Tre Roberson*and running back*Marshaun Coprich*-- are more athletic in the backfield than several Big Ten schools"

The article that excerpt is from: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/121756/2015-season-preview-iowa-hawkeyes

centennial
August 11th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I am not ISU fan but I will be cheering for them to beat Iowa. Early upset special. ISU can get a lot of press from this.

eiu1999
August 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
With the big ten's announcement regarding FCS scheduling, I hope every FCS team playing a big ten team upsets them. Interesting enough though, ESPN thinks at least one upset is likely, with this gem: "Iowa has never lost to an FCS foe, but the Redbirds -- with quarterback*Tre Roberson*and running back*Marshaun Coprich*-- are more athletic in the backfield than several Big Ten schools"

The article that excerpt is from: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/121756/2015-season-preview-iowa-hawkeyes

Yes, it's one of the more likely upsets over FBS for this year. Potential.

dewey
August 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM
I am not ISU fan but I will be cheering for them to beat Iowa.

Agreed! Good luck Redbirds.

Dewey

eiu1999
August 11th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I am not ISU fan but I will be cheering for them to beat Iowa. Early upset special. ISU can get a lot of press from this.

Of course then I want EIU to knock off Northwestern and then ISU xthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
August 11th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Of course then I want EIU to knock off Northwestern and then ISU xthumbsupx

I'm good with that, as long as Western beats you guys in the opener and then U of I the next week.

JayJ79
August 11th, 2015, 05:48 PM
"Iowa has never lost to an FCS foe"

thanks to two blocked FGs on consecutive plays.
damn that was painful

Rollbird5
August 11th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Pretty excited about this game. Looking forward to seeing how our new O-line and WRs handle it. Luckily our O-line will be practicing against our front 7 which should get them prepared for pretty much anybody we face. Hope we can pull it off!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 11th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Is this game being broadcasted by BTN or ESPN3? This would be a fun one to attend imo. For whatever reason attending a game at Kinnick has intrigued me....

Rollbird5
August 11th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Is this game being broadcasted by BTN or ESPN3? This would be a fun one to attend imo. For whatever reason attending a game at Kinnick has intrigued me....

Big Ten Network at 11am I believe

Jacked_Rabbit
August 11th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Any guesses on what the line is going to be? It's not up on 5dimes yet, and they're always out in front when it comes to things...

I think Illinois State wins by 3 or 4. I also think the oddsmakers are smart enough to know that Iowa can't be more than a TD favorite, probably closer to a FG even.

Bisonoline
August 11th, 2015, 10:45 PM
thanks to two blocked FGs on consecutive plays.
damn that was painful

I was at that game. It was a real crazy ruling that gave then the second chance.

birdsflyhigh
August 12th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Really looking forward to the Redbirds vs. the Hawkeyes. Think the Birds have the weapons to pull this one out in Iowa City, but Iowa will be looking at the game as a tone setter for their season, and I'm sure they won't overlook ISU. Game is just 24 days away now....can't wait!!!

TheKingpin28
August 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Kinnick stadium is one of the best and hardest places to win in. My family grew up there and most of them work(ed) for them. I'd be surprised to see them lose. Kirk as a long leash but a loss to a "small" school and the boosters will be trying to figure out ways to either bring Hayden Fry back back from the dead, or reincarte him. I have been to a few games and am excited about NDSU vs Iowa 2016. Family has tickets right behind Iowa bench so I know where I'll be cheering and drinking after the game, the good old brown bottle

F'N Hawks
August 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Any guesses on what the line is going to be? It's not up on 5dimes yet, and they're always out in front when it comes to things...

I think Illinois State wins by 3 or 4. I also think the oddsmakers are smart enough to know that Iowa can't be more than a TD favorite, probably closer to a FG even.

It was Iowa -8.

They pulled the lines a few days ago for some reason, probably to tweak them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Kinnick stadium is one of the best and hardest places to win in. My family grew up there and most of them work(ed) for them. I'd be surprised to see them lose. Kirk as a long leash but a loss to a "small" school and the boosters will be trying to figure out ways to either bring Hayden Fry back back from the dead, or reincarte him. I have been to a few games and am excited about NDSU vs Iowa 2016. Family has tickets right behind Iowa bench so I know where I'll be cheering and drinking after the game, the good old brown bottle

I agree with you. I think Illinois State has a shot but I'll be surprised if they actually win. Iowa is almost always decent to pretty good Big 10 team...

The Yo Show
August 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Sioux, why would they pull a line to tweak it? Alot of people betting on the underdog? Also, what happens to people who already had bets on the original line?

Yote 53
August 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I'm also an Iowa fan and have been to many, many games at Kinnick over the years. Awesome atmosphere both inside and outside the stadium. The stories you have heard about tailgating in Iowa City, all true. There is a reason Iowa always hits the top of the best tailgate lists. If only we could go back to the days of the Magic Bus, sigh.

Ferentz is on such a short leash and the fans are in blood letting mode, Iowa will not be taking any of their OOC schedule lightly and will not be treating them as tune-ups for the conference schedule. Kirk knows he has to set the tone and keep the gas down for these games. I saw both teams play live last season and ISUr was impressive, but they aren't a Big Ten team. Iowa wins this one going away by 14+.

The Yo Show
August 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I saw both teams play live last season and ISUr was impressive, but they aren't a Big Ten team. Iowa wins this one going away by 14+.

Well, no they arent, but heck look at purdue or illinois. Those are big ten teams. Im not convinced there is a huge talent gap to overcome here by Illinois State. That said, they may well lose, and maybe I'm completely wrong. I hope I'm not though.

clenz
August 12th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Iowa fans love to trumpet them some "Kinnick is aweseome" and call it "Historic Kinnick Stadium"

The reality is once inside it is a very, very, generic 2 sided stadium that later had endzone seats added.

There is nothing special about the stadium itself, at all.

I'm not sure what their home record is in it. It's probably between .500 and .600. A quick google search doesn't return anything, but I would think if it's one of the toughest places to play in America they'd be flaunting that stat all over.

Last season Iowa was 4-3 at home...wins over UNI, Ball State (last minute come from behind), Indiana, Northwestern
2013: 4-3 wins over Missouri State, Western Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan...loss to Northern Illinois
2012: 2-5 wins over UNI and Minnesota losses to Iowa State, CMU, Penn State, Purdue, Nebraska

centennial
August 12th, 2015, 12:44 PM

I agree with you. I think Illinois State has a shot but I'll be surprised if they actually win. Iowa is almost always decent to pretty good Big 10 team...

I'm also an Iowa fan and have been to many, many games at Kinnick over the years. Awesome atmosphere both inside and outside the stadium. The stories you have heard about tailgating in Iowa City, all true. There is a reason Iowa always hits the top of the best tailgate lists. If only we could go back to the days of the Magic Bus, sigh.

Ferentz is on such a short leash and the fans are in blood letting mode, Iowa will not be taking any of their OOC schedule lightly and will not be treating them as tune-ups for the conference schedule. Kirk knows he has to set the tone and keep the gas down for these games. I saw both teams play live last season and ISUr was impressive, but they aren't a Big Ten team. Iowa wins this one going away by 14+.

This is going to be a close game. ISU red did look like a B10 team last year and this year they have a few more transfers and a team that was close to unbeatable in the FCS. If last year wasn't a fluke Iowa could be in trouble.

uni88
August 12th, 2015, 01:42 PM
This is going to be a close game. ISU red did look like a B10 team last year and this year they have a few more transfers and a team that was close to unbeatable in the FCS. If last year wasn't a fluke Iowa could be in trouble.

ISU's OL, QB, RB & receivers were definitely mid-level B1G0 quality last year and I think they will be again this year. I expect this game to be hard fought and close. I'm not sure who wins but I'm cheering for the Redbirds.

Yote 53
August 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Iowa fans love to trumpet them some "Kinnick is aweseome" and call it "Historic Kinnick Stadium"

The reality is once inside it is a very, very, generic 2 sided stadium that later had endzone seats added.

There is nothing special about the stadium itself, at all.

I'm not sure what their home record is in it. It's probably between .500 and .600. A quick google search doesn't return anything, but I would think if it's one of the toughest places to play in America they'd be flaunting that stat all over.

Last season Iowa was 4-3 at home...wins over UNI, Ball State (last minute come from behind), Indiana, Northwestern
2013: 4-3 wins over Missouri State, Western Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan...loss to Northern Illinois
2012: 2-5 wins over UNI and Minnesota losses to Iowa State, CMU, Penn State, Purdue, Nebraska

Ah yes, here comes UNI's biggest fan. I knew I'd get a reaction out of a Panther fan. The shadow the U of I casts is long and covers the Cedar Valley. UNI fan no likey that. Always a fight for in-state respect isn't it?

UNI just needs to focus on christening Jack Trice Stadium this season and breaking those remodeled digs in properly.

clenz
August 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Ah yes, here comes UNI's biggest fan. I knew I'd get a reaction out of a Panther fan. The shadow the U of I casts is long and covers the Cedar Valley. UNI fan no likey that. Always a fight for in-state respect isn't it?

UNI just needs to focus on christening Jack Trice Stadium this season and breaking those remodeled digs in properly.
Worry about not finishing last and then we'll talk FCS...until then take a seat.

Kinnick itself is nothing special and the record in Kinnick the last half decade is nothing spectacular either, nor is the quality if wins.

That's nothing to do with any kind of shadow. That's pure fact.

I forgot, I live in Iowa I'm supposed to suck Herky's dick non stop

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
August 12th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Sioux, why would they pull a line to tweak it? Alot of people betting on the underdog? Also, what happens to people who already had bets on the original line?

They did this last year too. Pulled ALL FCS and FCS vs. FBS games down for a few days then put them back up and several were changed. No idea why they pull them down other than to re-evaulate the lines and money coming in once camps have started, new info is out, etc.

I am not saying the line will change but many of them did last year. They change the lines using their live algorithm, or whatever its called, all the time during season. 1 max bet will move the line 0.5 point or 1.0 point.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I think the Hawkeyes pull out a win but it will be close.

Yote 53
August 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Worry about not finishing last and then we'll talk FCS...until then take a seat.

Kinnick itself is nothing special and the record in Kinnick the last half decade is nothing spectacular either, nor is the quality if wins.

I'm an Iowa fan. The topic of this thread is an Iowa game, so I am not supposed to have an opinion because the Coyotes were lousy last year?

At least you got the bolded part right.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2015, 10:54 PM

You live in Iowa so you would know more than me. I've been to Beaver Stadium for a few games and visited Michigan Stadium and Ross Ade (Purdue) in the summer for my Big 10 experiences. Kinnick and Camp Randall have been on my Bucket list for some time. I'd like to get to the Horseshoe too but it truly despise Ohio State. I've hated the Buckeyes and Florida State since the early 90's. I wanted to blindside Bobby Hoying when I was younger.....

I always heard good things about Iowa from PSU fans who've made the trek out I80 for a game. My friend was there in 2008 when Iowa ended PSU's undefeated season on a last second field goal. He said the Hawkeye fans were very respectful.

Purdue's campus was real interesting. It felt a bit out of place for Northwestern Indiana. A random pic when I was visiting prospective grad schools.....

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/283004_232101966822242_1325401_n.jpg?oh=2b273f7f09 e233c82b80f85b71625df8&oe=5642B97C

As Temple grad I get to experience FBS games directly through my alma mater. I do understand why FCS enjoy visiting these large, big time stadiums. Temple rarely gets Big 10 games outside of Penn State and now Rutgers so I understand the intrigue.

As a nutty college football fan, a Temple-Iowa State game at Jack Trice would make me check my calendar....xdrunkyx

uni88
August 13th, 2015, 08:36 AM

Yes Iowa is the big dog in the state and UNI is 3rd in line in the state when it comes to funding, fans, etc. Lots of fans of FCS schools know what that feels like. I have no problem with Iowa alumni and other state residents who root for the Hawkeyes. When I was in school I would get angry about UNI students who rooted for the Hawkeyes, now I just feel sorry for them. They have or are missing out on a great part of the college experience - cheering on your school's teams, tailgating, etc.

At least you got the bolded part right.

If that's true, shouldn't you be sucking a Jackrabbit? They're clearly the dominant program in SD. :D

REALBird
August 13th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Well.......the Herky's dick comment was by far the best line of this young pre-season. Just hoping to line up, compete, play our game and hopefully pull out a W.
Don't know enough about Iowa to suggest we can win, but beating any team on their home field is always a challenge.

Illinois State fans don't have to worry about people thinking we should smoke the "Chief's" pole. Since he only exists in the delusional minds and hearts of Illanoy fans (thank you NCAA). I think most of them can't remember what he looks like.

clenz
August 13th, 2015, 10:29 AM
You live in Iowa so you would know more than me. I've been to Beaver Stadium for a few games and visited Michigan Stadium and Ross Ade (Purdue) in the summer for my Big 10 experiences. Kinnick and Camp Randall have been on my Bucket list for some time. I'd like to get to the Horseshoe too but it truly despise Ohio State. I've hated the Buckeyes and Florida State since the early 90's. I wanted to blindside Bobby Hoying when I was younger.....

I always heard good things about Iowa from PSU fans who've made the trek out I80 for a game. My friend was there in 2008 when Iowa ended PSU's undefeated season on a last second field goal. He said the Hawkeye fans were very respectful.

Purdue's campus was real interesting. It felt a bit out of place for Northwestern Indiana. A random pic when I was visiting prospective grad schools.....

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/283004_232101966822242_1325401_n.jpg?oh=2b273f7f09 e233c82b80f85b71625df8&oe=5642B97C

As Temple grad I get to experience FBS games directly through my alma mater. I do understand why FCS enjoy visiting these large, big time stadiums. Temple rarely gets Big 10 games outside of Penn State and now Rutgers so I understand the intrigue.

As a nutty college football fan, a Temple-Iowa State game at Jack Trice would make me check my calendar....xdrunkyx
Iowa fans are an interesting bunch. There are those that are respectful...then there's 80% of the fan base that believes they are Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, USC (in their prime years) and Ohio State all rolled into one and they act like it.

The tailgating scene is pretty good. I've never questioned that. I've said the stadium, and in game atmosphere, is nothing special. I've been to about a dozen games down there and never been "wowed" by the inside of the stadium (I've sat everywhere from front row endzone opposite the band/students, to row 40 on the north side right at the 50, to the 5th row behind the Iowa bench, to 2 rows behind the visitor bench...AND in the media suite as a personal guest of Bob and Susie Brooks...yeah...THAT Bob Brooks...just a season ago). It's a well maintained stadium for the most part but it is a very generic feel and a very generic atmosphere inside the stadium. It's what happens outside the stadium that gives Iowa City/Kinnick it's draw. Iowa fans seem to think "Historic" Kinnick Stadium is one of the 10 best stadiums in college football.

Yote 53
August 13th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Clenz, you know I love to give you a hard time so take everything I say in jest.

As to Kinnick, it's not just Iowa fans that think it is historic and special, the national media says the same thing when they are broadcasting big games from there. Musberger, Herbstreit, all the way back to big games when Hayden Fry was coaching. I'm sorry you feel it is some generic place because it is not. Now, Jack Trice, where UNI is going to win this season, that place is nice, remodeled, but generic. Nothing really special about that place.

And, you are correct, the carnival like atmosphere outside Kinnick adds to the charm, though even that is starting to fade at the hands of Sally Mason.

TheKingpin28
August 13th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Clenz, you know I love to give you a hard time so take everything I say in jest.

As to Kinnick, it's not just Iowa fans that think it is historic and special, the national media says the same thing when they are broadcasting big games from there. Musberger, Herbstreit, all the way back to big games when Hayden Fry was coaching. I'm sorry you feel it is some generic place because it is not. Now, Jack Trice, where UNI is going to win this season, that place is nice, remodeled, but generic. Nothing really special about that place.

And, you are correct, the carnival like atmosphere outside Kinnick adds to the charm, though even that is starting to fade at the hands of Sally Mason.

If I could, I'd do everything I could to get season tickets there

clenz
August 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM

The national media, especially when dealing with the P5, is fed what to say during broadcasts involving their schools.

Listen, it's a nice enough stadium. The concourses are adequately wide for the most part, concessions are pretty standard, sightlines are pretty good after about row 7 or 8. I'm not saying it's a dump of a stadium. Google "Historic Kinnick Stadium" and look who is calling it "historic"...here's a list of websites from the first 4 pages of results - hawkeyesports.com x2, Wikipedia, hawkeyespaces.com, maps.uiowa/edu, youtube.com, blackheartgoldpants.com, scheels all sports (whom has a store in Iowa City and the release is written by an IC associate), 600.wmtradio.com (Iowa City radio station that carries Hawk games), the Des Moines Register, Facebook.com (Iowa City groups/events), IowaFarmBureau.com, KCRG.com (news station from Cedar Rapids), tumblr blog by UI Students, a photographer that grew up a Hawkeye fan according to his bio, rivals.iowa.com, and the newspaper from Waterloo, IA. No mention of "historic Kinnick Stadium" that isn't from the state of Iowa.

Is it historic in that it's 80 years old? Sure, I'll grant that. However, calling it "historic Kinnick Stadium" is a marketing ploy pushed entirely the the UI administration and fan base...and that **** didn't even really start until the last decade or so to any large extent.

As I said, though, it's a stadium that was build with two sides and had endzones seats added decades later.

https://burntheship.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/iowa-stadium-1930.jpg?w=599

https://burntheship.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kinnick-1982.jpg?w=600&h=393

https://burntheship.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/4939938028_85677c65dc_b.jpg?w=599

Want more proof it's a generic stadium from decades ago that's been updated and had endzone seats addded? Does this lay out look familiar?

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/church/news/12/03/580%20stadium.jpg

Much like Kinnick Lavell Edwards Stadium was just 2 sides (though considerably smaller 2 sides) from the time it opened in 1961 until it expanded in 1981. It went from 28K to 65k. For 1982/1983 Kinnick went from the 53k 2 sided look with hill seats in the endzones that were added in 1955 for another 7K to 65k fixed seats in 1983. Then in 1991 they built the endzones up to over 70K which is where it is now. LES is slightly smaller at 64k. The same look has happened many times on similar and smaller scales all over the country - Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, WKU, Marshall, Montana, Montana State, Texas State, etc... Hell, you mentioned Iowa State and Jack Trick (which is a dump and a half of a stadium...it really fits that entire university. Reality is the only reason they are B12 is because they were Big 8 100 years ago. They have as much in common with the B12 as NDSU, UNI, etc... in terms of success.

Jack Trice 1975
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2375/2267894660_2797078f8e_b.jpg

2005ish
http://www.instantactionsports.com/sportsbook/ncaa-football/images/Iowa-State-Stadium.jpg

Jack Trice for the 2015 season
http://www.inside.iastate.edu/media/2015/05/BHG8.jpg

Once inside Kinnick on game days there's really nothing that set's it apart as being a "must see" stadium other than it's a 70k Big Ten stadium. Is it nicer than some others? Yup. I'd hardly call it a bucket list stadium though. Again, a game at Iowa is worth going to for the 5 hours leading up to kick off and the 8 hours after kick off. If you're going to a game at Kinnick expecting Kinnick to be the bucket list thing you're expectations will be left unmet. That's why the stadium will announce a sell out, but the reality is there is only about 60K in there, yet the tailgate lots had well over 150-200K in them and the bars are packed during the games. It's not about the stadium. It's about outside of those gates.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 13th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I think you'll find that a lot of P5 FBS stadiums are rather nondescript. Beaver Stadium, while impressive, literally looks like an erector set from the outside. Notre Dame, since the 1997 expansion, is also rather ho-hum. It's really a rather simple stadium. Even so, the game day atmosphere at these FBS schools and the overall weekend experience is far greater than 90-% of FCS.

The sideline sections of Kinnick have some character, far more so than those at LES. It's actually amazing stadium seats 70k when you see photos of it. Outside of the 1982 pic (which is super cool) it doesn't appear that big.

I'll be interested to see what Illinois State fans think of their experience.

Jack Trice has always looked ugly as hell to me. The concrete is in desperate need of a pressure wash and those red and yellow seats are simply God-awful.

Bisonoline
August 13th, 2015, 10:42 PM
If I could, I'd do everything I could to get season tickets there

Season tickets were-are easy to get this year.

Bisonoline
August 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM

Melrose ave is a gong show before the game. Jerry and Margies Catering has something like 2-3 food stands. Go to the one with IOWAS largest brat. Its a 1/2 pound brat that is exceptionally good. $5.00.
Ive experienced HISTORIC Kinnick Stadium from 1960 to the present day and I will say its a unique game day experience. You only take away from a place---experience in which you allow yourself enjoy.

Bisonoline
August 13th, 2015, 10:56 PM
I think you'll find that a lot of P5 FBS stadiums are rather nondescript. Beaver Stadium, while impressive, literally looks like an erector set from the outside. Notre Dame, since the 1997 expansion, is also rather ho-hum. It's really a rather simple stadium. Even so, the game day atmosphere at these FBS schools and the overall weekend experience is far greater than 90-% of FCS.

The sideline sections of Kinnick have some character, far more so than those at LES. It's actually amazing stadium seats 70k when you see photos of it. Outside of the 1982 pic (which is super cool) it doesn't appear that big.

I'll be interested to see what Illinois State fans think of their experience.

Jack Trice has always looked ugly as hell to me. The concrete is in desperate need of a pressure wash and those red and yellow seats are simply God-awful.

The functional design of Tice I thought was good. From the second level you could get to the concessions and restrooms very easily.