PDA

View Full Version : Must See Matchups - Week 1

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Last year I followed the Sports Network's "Must See FCS Matchups" article to find games outside of the CAA that were worth recording to casually watch. They don't seem to be writing another article this year.
The majority were not in my area (Richmond, VA), but some other east coast teams were readily available (CAA/SoCon/Patriot). An occasional MVFC team (NDSU, UNI) and I think I found Northern Arizona and North Dakota games in my area.

Anyways... I think we should work together to compile a list of must watch FCS games. Obviously the Top 25 teams each week are good choices, but what other games?

I'll get it started. All times EST. Let me know if there's TV for a game, even if only regional. (AGS Poll Rank)

8/29 - (1) North Dakota State at (12) Montana 3:30pm (ESPN) (12) Montana upsets (1) North Dakota State, 38-35

9/3 - (17) Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State 7pm (ALT2/ASN/MASN2/SLCTV) (17) Southeastern Louisiana beats Northwestern State 34-20
Valparaiso at (18) Eastern Kentucky 7pm (OVC Video) (18) Eastern Kentucky beats Valparaiso 52-10
(24) Eastern Illinois at Western Illinois 7pm (ESPN3) Western Illinois upsets (24) Eastern Illinois 33-5
(4) Villanova at Connecticut 7:30pm (SNY/ESPN3) Connecticut beats (4) Villanova 20-15
Fort Lewis (D2) at (11) Montana State 9pm (ALT/Cowles Media/(ABC/FOX) MT) (11) Montana State beats Fort Lewis 45-14
(7) New Hampshire at San Jose State 10pm (No TV) San Jose State beats (7) New Hampshire 43-13

9/4 - (23) Fordham at Army 7pm (CBSSN) (23) Fordham upsets Army 37-35

9/5 - (2) Illinois State at Iowa 12pm (Big Ten Network) Iowa beats (2) Illinois State 31-14
(16) South Dakota State at Kansas 12pm (Fox Sports Net/MASN2) (16) South Dakota State upsets Kansas 41-38
(21) Richmond at Maryland 12pm (ESPNU) Maryland beats (21) Richmond 50-21
(15) Youngstown State at Pittsburgh 1pm (ESPN3) Pittsburgh beats (15) Youngstown State 45-37
Butler at (19) Indiana State 3pm (No TV) (19) Indiana State beats Butler 52-17
(3) Sam Houston State at Texas Tech 3:30pm (Fox Sports Net/MASN2) Texas Tech beats (3) Sam Houston State 59-45
(9) Jacksonville State at (6) Chattanooga 6pm (SoCon Video) (9) Jacksonville State upsets (6) Chattanooga 23-20
Morehead State at (14) James Madison 6pm (CAA.TV, Madizone Streaming: http://portal.stretchinternet.com/jmu/) (14) James Madison beats Morehead State 56-7
Black Hills State (D2) at (20) Idaho State 6pm (No TV) (20) Idaho State beats Black Hills State 55-0
(5) Coastal Carolina at Furman 7pm (ESPN3) (5) Coastal Carolina beats Furman 38-35
Delaware State at (13) Liberty 7pm (LFSN/Big South Video) (13) Liberty beats Delaware State 32-13
(8) Eastern Washington at Oregon 8pm (Pac-12 Network) Oregon beats (8) Eastern Washington 61-42
(10) Northern Iowa at Iowa State 8pm (Cyclones.tv; $) Iowa State beats (10) Northern Iowa 31-7
(25) Cal Poly at (12) Montana 9pm (ALT/(Cowles Media/KSBY)/(ABC/FOX) MT) (25) Cal Poly upsets (12) Montana 20-19

Bye Week:
(1) North Dakota State (9/5)
(22) Harvard

Others Receiving Votes (#26-30):
9/3
Central Arkansas at Samford (29) 7pm (ESPN3) Samford beats Central Arkansas 45-16

9/5
William & Mary (28) at Lafayette 6pm (PLN Video) William & Mary beats Lafayette 34-7
Northern Arizona at Stephen F. Austin (26) 7pm (ESPN3) Northern Arizona beats Stephen F. Austin 34-28
Mars Hill (D2) at Western Carolina (30) 7pm (SoCon Video) Western Carolina beats Mars Hill 42-14
McNeese State (27) at Louisiana State 7:30pm (SEC Network) Game was cancelled

TheRevSFA
August 7th, 2015, 02:47 PM
NAU vs SFA. The battle of the Lumberjacks

KPSUL
August 7th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Funny you'd post this today. Earlier this morning I was considering attending a FCS game on the 5th. since I live a mere 30 minutes up I 81 from JMU, I checked to see who the Dukes were playing. When I saw Morehead State I put it on my "Rather watch a game at home on TV" list.

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Funny you'd post this today. Earlier this morning I was considering attending a FCS game on the 5th. since I live a mere 30 minutes up I 81 from JMU, I checked to see who the Dukes were playing. When I saw Morehead State I put it on my "Rather watch a game at home on TV" list.

You and all 20-25k fans that we have feel that way. I'm never enthused for the annual cupcake game. I am excited for the season to begin, enjoying a beautiful day in harrisonburg, tailgating and having a good time. It's also nice to have at least one game a season where you can just sit back and relax. Enjoy the 4+ TD wins and never sweat once.

I also understand the importance of the cupcake game. It's a much needed win to make fans a little bit happier and to pad the win column come playoff time. Everyone else does it, so why shouldn't we? Why disadvantage yourself? Just don't schedule a D2. Those supposedly don't count in the eyes of the selection committee.

Now if I were a person casually attending a game that I'm not affiliated with, I would pick the more intriguing match-up to go see for entertainment. I wouldn't go to another cfb game that isn't jmu though. I spend too much time going to jmu games to add even more on my schedule.

BEAR
August 7th, 2015, 03:10 PM
9/3 UCA v. Samford. - Battle of two teams just outside the top 25. UCA lost some very close games to playoff teams last year. Samford returns some awesome defense. This one is a one point squeaker. Televised online on the Samford sports site I believe.

Daytripper
August 7th, 2015, 03:11 PM
FCS has a small to fair chance to go 3-0 against the Big 12 on 9/5.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2015, 03:43 PM
In the past I posted something like this to College Sports Journal, and last year I basically did it only for Patriot League centric-games. I could do so again if there's enough demand for something like this.

Basically it would be a page with all the links (including TV info, streaming, audio, live stats, etc.)

A page like that really starts to see value when you can access it on your phone. Then you can have a friend click on the audio link and have it broadcast in the car when you're driving home from the Lehigh game. :D

eiu1999
August 7th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Probably boring to most, but I want to see how EIU/WIU match up.

I really don't know what to expect.

JayJ79
August 7th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Probably boring to most, but I want to see how EIU/WIU match up.

I really don't know what to expect.

"EIU/WIU" sounds like Ling's dialogue from "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist"

Rooms
August 7th, 2015, 04:55 PM
NAU vs SFA. The battle of the Lumberjacks

Ill second that one. It's going to be a close one.

Itll also be a hard fight for the lions at NWST. Last 2 games between us have gone to the wire. Stay tuned!

KPSUL
August 7th, 2015, 05:23 PM
You and all 20-25k fans that we have feel that way. I'm never enthused for the annual cupcake game. I am excited for the season to begin, enjoying a beautiful day in harrisonburg, tailgating and having a good time. It's also nice to have at least one game a season where you can just sit back and relax. Enjoy the 4+ TD wins and never sweat once.

I also understand the importance of the cupcake game. It's a much needed win to make fans a little bit happier and to pad the win column come playoff time. Everyone else does it, so why shouldn't we? Why disadvantage yourself? Just don't schedule a D2. Those supposedly don't count in the eyes of the selection committee.

Now if I were a person casually attending a game that I'm not affiliated with, I would pick the more intriguing match-up to go see for entertainment. I wouldn't go to another cfb game that isn't jmu though. I spend too much time going to jmu games to add even more on my schedule.

I plan to go to your Stony Brook game and probably Villanova.

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I was going to say, Richmond or Villanova will be the most entertaining I'm sure. Stony brook is family weekend and will bring the biggest crowd.

dgtw
August 7th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I'll be in Choo-Chooville on 9/5.

Roamingriz
August 8th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Definitely looking forward to Cal Poly v Montana. Locally it is covered by Cowles Montana Media which is available on a local TV station, but for the past several seasons I've had good luck finding most big sky games on America One Sports. It does require setting up a login but then most games that don't have national coverage on Root Sports or ESPN are on there. Its my first go-to when games aren't covered on TV......

RootinFerDukes
August 10th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Bump. I added the rankings for the Stats Preseason Poll and highlighted the rankings.

Daytripper
August 10th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Ill second that one. It's going to be a close one.

Itll also be a hard fight for the lions at NWST. Last 2 games between us have gone to the wire. Stay tuned!

NWST is going to jump up and bite a few SLC teams this year. They are a dark horses that could, if they catch a few breaks, actually challenge for the conference title.

SFA 93
August 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Yes, Stephen F. Austin vs. Northern Arizona live from Homer Bryce Stadium in Nac on ESPN3 at 6:00 Sept. 9

RootinFerDukes
August 26th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Bump. 2 days and change remaining until the season begins!!! I'm excited for this ndsu um game.
I updated the matchups to apply to the AGS poll. I'll be making this for every week of the season, posting scores, etc.

BEAR
August 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I still can't wait to see UCA v. Samford. A great test for our team early on.

SU DOG
August 27th, 2015, 09:27 AM
UCA vs Samford is also a great test for the Bulldogs. I see UCA as very solid, with explosive weapons that can score quickly. I believe that Samford will have an elite defense - maybe one of the best in FCS, but I do have concerns about the offense under a new coach. One week from today, and I also can't wait.
Bear, are you making the trip to B'ham?

Missingnumber7
August 27th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Jville St vs Chatty will be interesting to see how they continue from last year.

BEAR
August 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM
UCA vs Samford is also a great test for the Bulldogs. I see UCA as very solid, with explosive weapons that can score quickly. I believe that Samford will have an elite defense - maybe one of the best in FCS, but I do have concerns about the offense under a new coach. One week from today, and I also can't wait.
Bear, are you making the trip to B'ham?

Would love to but my oldest son has a football game that day. Miss that and I might as well pack up the tailgating stuff with the looks I'd get at home! xlolx Plus I've spent some serious cash on going to the Oklahoma State game. Had to choose and the boys homegame pretty much sealed the deal this year. But if I could.....

Mattymc727
August 27th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Due to SJSU lack of video feed, I think the UNH SJSU game is the must hear game of the week.

Catsfan90
August 27th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Due to SJSU lack of video feed, I think the UNH SJSU game is the must hear game of the week.
I heard none of the radio stations were interested. Updates are gunna come via carrier pigeon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2015, 10:03 PM
The Patriot League has two interesting games imo

Fordham @ Army
William & Mary @ Lafayette

coover
August 27th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Definitely looking forward to Cal Poly v Montana. Locally it is covered by Cowles Montana Media which is available on a local TV station, but for the past several seasons I've had good luck finding most big sky games on America One Sports. It does require setting up a login but then most games that don't have national coverage on Root Sports or ESPN are on there. Its my first go-to when games aren't covered on TV......Big Sky has ended their relationship with America One and will be using EverSports this year. Go to the http://bigskyconf.com for information on the change. The games will be streamed on http://watchbigsky.com .

APaladindad
August 27th, 2015, 11:27 PM
The CCU vs. FU game is going to be a great one! I will be standing at the back of the end zone watching this one. We will be eating BBQ beach chicken at the tailgate!

RootinFerDukes
September 1st, 2015, 09:26 PM
Bump. 2 Days until the start of Week 1!

Roamingriz
September 1st, 2015, 10:08 PM
Big Sky has ended their relationship with America One and will be using EverSports this year. Go to the http://bigskyconf.com for information on the change. The games will be streamed on http://watchbigsky.com .

Right on, thanks for the heads up!