Discuss :)

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Arkee Whitlock.
'Nuff said.
:hurray:

siugrad99
November 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Whoa... Lets not get to ahead of ourselves. We had to comeback from 20 points down at HOME to a UT-Martin team. Arkie is amazing, but Montana is good and at home where they are excellent. It will be a tough game. I hope this is the year we can get over that hump and make it to the semi's. Go Dawgs!

igo4uni
November 25th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Tough to win in Missoula. :twocents: :twocents:

redbirdtim
November 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
If the Griz stack the box, can Nick Hill pass? Also, can SIU's defense step up.

fencer24
November 25th, 2006, 07:47 PM
We are looking forward to our guests from SIU. You will be treated with gracious hospitality, I can assure you. But, come on, UT_Martin?
Not too sure there will be 4th Quarter comebacks next week.

VictorG
November 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Haven't seen the Griz have to stack the box all year for anyone. Will they have to next week? Can't wait to find out!

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM

He is not a good passer if you get pressure on him. The 1st half, UTM got great pressure on him and he had to tuck it and run or take the sack. However, in the 2nd half when he had time he was ok. I think if a team would run a 3-4, 3-5, it would cause SIU problems in the running game.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Martin stacked the box.
Whitlock ended up with 207 yards and 4 TDs.
Can Nick Hill Pass? He threw a 45 yard pass into the wind to win the game today. The D appears to be a Jekyll and Hyde thing especially against the pass. They lead the league in sacks. Not hardly any INTs until Sanders and UNI came to town and then they picked him off 3 times. You take your chances, but understand you might get burned.

sdgriz24
November 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Martin stacked the box.
Whitlock ended up with 207 yards and 4 TDs.
Can Nick Hill Pass? He threw a 45 yard pass into the wind to win the game today. The D appears to be a Jekyll and Hyde thing especially against the pass. They lead the league in sacks. Not hardly any INTs until Sanders and UNI came to town and then they picked him off 3 times. You take your chances, but understand you might get burned.

No offense to Martin but their D isn't on the same level as Montanas.

grizbeer
November 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I will do everything I can for the Griz again - already washing out the growlers, getting ready for the refill. have the flask washed and ready, not talking to the family trying to save the voice. After that it is up the Griz players to win the game. Hope everyone has a good time.

Peems
November 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
SIU message board?

Live4Griz
November 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
SIU message board?

Here ya go Peems!

http://www.salukitalk.net/st/viewforum.php?f=2

GO GRIZ!!

elboscoe
November 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
If Montana plays like they did today, its hard to see anyone beating them!!

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM
If Montana plays like they did today, its hard to see anyone beating them!!

I know Montana's offense looked better than it normally does because I heard the Montana guys calling the game saying that. But they were playing against a very weak run defense. McNeese came into that game ranked 84th in the subdivision in run defense and having given up over 4 yards per rush. I think that showed today and was a big factor in how well things clicked for Montana on offense.

I favor Montana because I do think the Griz are very strong against the run and that's what SIU does. But even though, looking at the stats, it doesn't look like SIU is great against the run they're probably significantly better than McNeese. So the Griz offense might not look as good.

elboscoe
November 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
The running game was not the issue for the offense this season, it was red zone scoring and inconsistency in the passing game....and both looked a lot better today...with the speed and talent our D has, If the offense plays like they did today, the griz are a VERY tough team to beat.

GrizRchattybound
November 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
He is not a good passer if you get pressure on him. The 1st half, UTM got great pressure on him and he had to tuck it and run or take the sack. However, in the 2nd half when he had time he was ok. I think if a team would run a 3-4, 3-5, it would cause SIU problems in the running game.

see our 2 Cal-Poly wins.

Peems
November 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
see our 2 Cal-Poly wins.

he was saying if we run that defense.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM
No offense to Martin but their D isn't on the same level as Montanas.
Martin was only giving up 104 yds/game rushing coming into this game. They weren't too shabbly.

November 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
If the Griz stack the box, can Nick Hill pass? Also, can SIU's defense step up.... QB Nick Hill threw touchdown passes to four different receivers in SIU’s shocking 35-28 come-from-behind win at Indiana last week. ...

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
The running game was not the issue for the offense this season, it was red zone scoring and inconsistency in the passing game....and both looked a lot better today...with the speed and talent our D has, If the offense plays like they did today, the griz are a VERY tough team to beat.

Your running game averaged 3.6 yards per carry during the regular season and over 6 per carry today. Look, I'm a McNeese fan. I'm telling you, their biggest weakenss this year was their run defense. You're not going to see anybody else in the playoffs that weak in that area. And everything on offense works better when the running game is working better.

I think Montana's going to win next week. But I also think the reason the Griz offense looked better than it's apparently been looking (going by what the Montana guys callilng the game said) was the defense it was playing against. It pains me to say that but it's what I honestly think.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
... QB Nick Hill threw touchdown passes to four different receivers in SIU’s shocking 35-28 come-from-behind win at Indiana last week. ...
Not to mention the 45 yarder into the wind today to finish off Martin today. He has an arm when they need it.

elboscoe
November 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM
statistics dont tell the whole story, there were plenty of games were we were driving just fine but once we got in the red zone we shut down, and a lot of other games swogger's accuracy was off and are passing game struggled, but our running backs brady green, Reggie bradshaw, and Thomas Brooks-fletcher have been getting it done on the ground for the most part this year, at least when it mattered, if you would have been watching the Griz throughout the season you would know that, stats are just stats...

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Ralphs a Montana hater...Hate away
I find that hard to believe. Montana has been a model of consistency. They have been to the playoffs 14 straight years. SIU is the next closest with 4 straight years. Good to see them finally play each other. If should be one heckuva game.

grizfan86
November 25th, 2006, 11:06 PM
It will definately be one hell of a game. They all are. SIU will come here and give the Griz all they can handle, just like every other team that comes here does. That still doesn't change the fact that Ralph is a Montana hater.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM
statistics dont tell the whole story, there were plenty of games were we were driving just fine but once we got in the red zone we shut down, and a lot of other games swogger's accuracy was off and are passing game struggled, but our running backs brady green, Reggie bradshaw, and Thomas Brooks-fletcher have been getting it done on the ground for the most part this year, at least when it mattered, if you would have been watching the Griz throughout the season you would know that, stats are just stats...

Well, all I can say is that the Montana guys calling the game for the internet webcast thought Montana's offense looked better than it's been looking and I assume they've been watching the Griz all year.

All I'm saying is that I would not expect Montana's offense to look as good as it did today, particularly running the ball, from here on out in the playoffs because all the defenses it's going to see from here on out are going to be better run defenses than the one they faced today. McNeese had a weak run defense. I don't like that because McNeese has a strong defensive tradition that I take pride in as a fan but that's what the reality was. It gave up 4.4 yards per attempt to other I-AA teams during the regular season. It went into the playoffs rated 86th in the subdivision against the run....lower than any other team in the playoff field.

FlyYtown
November 25th, 2006, 11:54 PM
SIU wins this one with Whitlock... Their offense is amazing..... SIU beats Montana and moves to the Semi's; although I am still hoping for the GRIZ-GUINS at the nooga!

chuges1
November 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Griz will pull this one out no prob....WA/GRIZ stadium is tough to win in and i dont care who the opposing team is. Good luck Griz I will be rooting us both on boys and girls.

Reed Rothchild
November 25th, 2006, 11:57 PM
We UNI fans know about the throwing ability of the QB from SIU :bang:

SIU will not be intimidated at Montana, either. I've seen their calm under fire a lot over the last few years in the DOME.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM

SIU will not be intimidated at Montana, either. I've seen their calm under fire a lot over the last few years in the DOME.

....and Furman was going to roll MSU, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

siugrad99
November 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Nobody's gonna give SIU a shot in this one and for good reason. Montana is nearly unbeatable at home & SIU hasn't exactly given people a reason to think we can win there. We are 0-2 on the road the past 3 seasons and each team went on to win the National Championship. Here's hoping 3rd times a charm :) (Fingers & Toes Crossed) :)

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Nobody's gonna give SIU a shot in this one and for good reason. Montana is nearly unbeatable at home & SIU hasn't exactly given people a reason to think we can win there. We are 0-2 on the road the past 3 seasons and each team went on to win the National Championship. Here's hoping 3rd times a charm :) (Fingers & Toes Crossed) :)

And here's hoping SIU stays true to form! :thumbsup: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

elboscoe
November 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Murietta was a great qb too, also that transfer from michigan...neither one of them had any luck against Montana's defense...

Reed Rothchild
November 26th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Murietta was a great qb too, also that transfer from michigan...neither one of them had any luck against Montana's defense...

Murietta is overated. UNI has played against him 2 years in a row and he has never done anything

elboscoe
November 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Murietta is overated. UNI has played against him 2 years in a row and he has never done anything

Murietta was HOT going into the Montana game...he fizzled out after that....but he did have a mediocre soph and jr year if thats what your talking about

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM
While the DOME is a tough place to play so is Wa/Griz especially if you havent been there before. and to add on to the stats/rushing argument. Stats, as mentioned earlier, mean nothing. coming in to this game mcneese was going against the team that allowed the most sacks in the nation, but it didnt look like it today. As the website says "Any Given Saturday"

Proud Griz Man
November 26th, 2006, 12:37 AM

If that is what it takes!!!! SIU is good and Whitlock is a great back and we will have to play great to win, but the UM Players and coaches will be ready to give 100%.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:37 AM

You are too funny. And obviously an xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

You played against him the two years he had absolutely NO talent around him. NAU would roll UNI RIGHT NOW. Guaranteed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As far as you're concerned (and you've made it plainly obvious in your 690 biased posts) EVERYONE outside of the vaunted Gateway conference is overrated. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why don't you go to Crapsville, where you belong? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Murietta was HOT going into the Montana game...he fizzled out after that....but he did have a mediocre soph and jr year if thats what your talking about

You need to check his stat lines for the remainder of the season. If that's your definition of "fizzling out", I'll take it every day of the week. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Murrietta 11 168.29 214-329-5 65.0 2827 34 80 257.0

34 TD's
5 INT's
65% completion rate
168.29 rating.

Yep. Overrated.

elboscoe
November 26th, 2006, 12:47 AM
You need to check his stat lines for the remainder of the season. If that's your definition of "fizzling out", I'll take it every day of the week. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Murrietta 11 168.29 214-329-5 65.0 2827 34 80 257.0

34 TD's
5 INT's
65% completion rate
168.29 rating.

Yep. Overrated.

I stand corrected...I guess I payed less attention to him after the Montana game...

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I stand corrected...I guess I payed less attention to him after the Montana game...

No problem. But there's still ONE UNI fan that needs to be convinced, apparently. :p ;)

crunifan
November 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM

You played against him the two years he had absolutely NO talent around him. NAU would roll UNI RIGHT NOW. Guaranteed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And what the hell is your logic on that one?

We played NAU last year and they were uhh...less than stellar.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM

For those a little slower than most, let me repeat myself:

You.....played.....against......him.....the....... two.......years......he......had......no......tale nt......around......him.....(including......last.. .....year)

This.....year.....NAU.....would.....ROLL.......UNI ......:thumbsup: :thumbsup: xcoffeex

elboscoe
November 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM

NAU was much improved this year especially at WR...

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Let's see: NAU (7-5)....losses to I-A Arizona State, I-A Utah, I-AA #2 ranked Montana, I-AA #11 ranked Montana State and I-AA Portland State (top 25).

So they lose to two of the final 8 playoff teams still standing, and a team that probably should have been in the playoffs. That's better logic than saying "LAST year they were less than stellar". Last time I checked, LAST year, UNI was in the title game, and this year they didn't make the field.....I'd say the playing field has leveled a bit between you and NAU. :twocents: :twocents:

Wait. Somebody forgot to tell me the BSC is overrated. :rolleyes: :smiley_wi

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Did SIU change their offense, or did Arkee Whitlock forget how to catch a pass? Last year he caught 28, and this year only SIX?

And is that guy really only 5-10, 195? :eek:

Saluki_man
November 26th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Never seemed to develop a pass to Arkee Whitlock durring the season, but Hill has done wonders with a TE.

Pantherpower
November 26th, 2006, 08:16 AM

As far as you're concerned (and you've made it plainly obvious in your 690 biased posts) EVERYONE outside of the vaunted Gateway conference is overrated. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why don't you go to Crapsville, where you belong? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, you're right. In fact, I found it odd when Jason trotted out on the field last year all by himself!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've knocked other conferences (OVC and MEAC) in recent posts, but haven't picked on the Big Sky b/c they have my respect. But please, give a break with the NAU would roll UNI business. That's just silly.

Pantherpower
November 26th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I might add that the Gateway has 3 of the final 8 teams standing and UNI went 2-1 against them. But yes, dear God, what would we do if those mean boys from Flagstaff came to town?? Lions and Tigers and Murrieta, oh my!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phrebert
November 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hmm Whitlock? Lets see with simple math:

South Dakota State 244 yards rushing (not bad for UM Home opener)
Sacramento St 89 yds
Portland St 98 yds
Eastern Washington 77 yds
Northern Arizona 33 yds
Weber State 116 yds
Idaho State 46 yds
Cal Poly 85 yds
Northern Colo 125 yds
Montana State 53 yds
McNeese 99 yds
Avg 97 yds
Equals Concern but not Afraid.

skinny_uncle
November 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
It surprises me a bit that SIU and Montana have never met before desite the fact both have been in the playoffs the last four years. It should be a good game.

Cleets
November 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM
What surprised me when I watched that Montana vs. McNeese was that there was a lot of press about how fast the McNeese wide outs were and they would cause trouble for the expected Montana single cover...

Sure they got open a bit, but nobody broke away on anything... and they got "lit-up" hard when they actually caught something over the middle...

Montana might be faster on D-fence than they let on...

(This might be another game to watch)
Go Umass... coming down the bracket...

GrizRchattybound
November 26th, 2006, 12:06 PM
he was saying if we run that defense.

and I'm saying we ran a 30 front (or a 40 with an over look) against CP with much success (2 wins one loss) the last 2 seasons.

Ronbo
November 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM

South Dakota State 244 yards rushing (not bad for UM Home opener)
Sacramento St 89 yds
Portland St 98 yds
Northern Arizona 33 yds
Weber State 116 yds
Idaho State 46 yds
Cal Poly 85 yds
Northern Colo 125 yds
Montana State 53 yds
McNeese 99 yds
Avg 97 yds

Man you must have flunked math.xlolx South Dakota State only got 125 yards rushing against the Griz and 226 total yards for the game. Montana had the 244 yards rushing in that game.

Phrebert
November 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Corrected Post

South Dakota State 125 yds
Sacramento St 89 yds
Portland St 98 yds
Northern Arizona 33 yds
Weber State 116 yds
Idaho State 46 yds
Cal Poly 85 yds
Northern Colo 125 yds
Montana State 53 yds
McNeese 99 yds
Avg 86yds

November 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Funny that this game features two of the teams that were on the cover of the preview magazine this year:

http://www.retro-sports.com/images/productlineitem/1560008290.JPG

Should be an exciting game!

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Funny that this game features two of the teams that were on the cover of the preview magazine this year:

too bad lex wont be playing: smh :

November 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
too bad lex wont be playing: smh ::bawling: : smh : :bang:

DaGriz
November 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM

It's your fault Lex got hurt!!! I got it now! It's like the Sports Illustrated curse and Madden Curse. :smiley_wi

mtgrizfan4life
November 26th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Griz/Cat fans is quite a difference than many states. For that reason let's unite for what is left of Subdivision playoffs and do OUR state proud.

Football is king in Montana. As is in TX, FL, OH and PA. Difference is that these states are hotbeds for talent and have many more players than MT. They have huge populations. They have many major college and pro teams to devote their efforts too. In Montana it is the GRIZ and CATS, that is it!!!!!

If the Griz/CATS rematch in Chatty, it is the biggest news the state could ever have. The state gets national recogniton and the programs go down in history as the 1st div 1a (subdivision) championship played against schools from the same state in a tournament format!!!!!

Even if 1A (bcs) goes to a playoff format GRIZ/CATS will have their play in history, just as the GRIZ will in consecutive playoff appearances. Those are things I am and would be proud of regarding the GRIZ and the state!!!!!

As much as I hate the CATS when we play them, I respect them and root for them for the conference, the state, and making history. Imagine the stories Montanan's can tell pass along to generations about the NC game in 2006..........That appeals to me, regardless of which team you root for.

Also the recognition helps both programs and the conference in terms of recruiting better players nationally. The only drawback with an all MT final would be the misery for the loser.

GO GRIZ and CATS, make MT prouder!!!!!

November 26th, 2006, 10:50 PM
...Equals Concern but not Afraid.From the 2006 Payton ballot:
Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois, RB, Sr., 5-10, 195, Rock Hill, SC
Rush.-Yards Rush TD Rec-Yards (TD) KR
TOTALS 268-1541 21 6-63 327
Avg. Per Rush = 5.8
Avg. Rushing Yards Per Game = 140.1
All-Purpose Yards Per Game = 175.6Don't be afraid but be wary of a talented Sr. RB. Should be a great match. Is he the best back the Griz will face this year so far?

fencer24
November 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I'm still thinking Tate from Iowa was the best, and he only got 98 yards. Will have to think about any others.

mtgrizfan4life
November 26th, 2006, 11:04 PM
From the 2006 Payton ballot:
Avg. Per Rush = 5.8
All-Purpose Yards Per Game = 175.6Don't be afraid but be wary of a talented Sr. RB. Should be a great match. Is he the best back the Griz will face this year so far?

At the 1A subdivision, probably yes. Hard for me to say he is better than Albert Young from IOWA. What a rb showdown this could have been. Whitlock against LEX!!!! Speaking of RBs, you will be impressed by our FR redshirt, Thomas Brooks Fletcher. He has great balance, instincts, and powerful for his size. Keep an eye on him. Look out for him rest of this season and again in 08. 07 will be "the return of LEX"!!!!

November 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
It's your fault Lex got hurt!!! I got it now! It's like the Sports Illustrated curse and Madden Curse. :smiley_wihahahahaaa

It was only a few weeks after I interviewed him at the Big Sky media days on WAVES (http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=111536) that he went down. Great kid and a terrible loss. Griz still did okay but oh my, what might have been this year... Still Griz are in the quarters playing at home. It will take a momentus game for SIU to pull out a win. If they don't then here comes an A-10 team with the same credentials and the same task. It just isn't an easy road to Chatty but Wash/Griz is all yours as long as you win. :nod:

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Did SIU change their offense, or did Arkee Whitlock forget how to catch a pass? Last year he caught 28, and this year only SIX?

And is that guy really only 5-10, 195? :eek:
Last year's senior quarterback Joel Sambursky was great at spreading things around to different receivers. Whitlock has plenty of skill as a receiver, he just has been under-utilized.

Don't be surprised if Whitlock gets his yards, even if Montana shuts down everyone else. He is the best back I've seen in the past two years and was my pick to win the Payton Award. Last year against Appalachian State's fine defense, Whitlock had no holes and still managed to rush for almost 100 yards. He is an NFL-type talent.

DaGriz
November 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Don't be afraid but be wary of a talented Sr. RB. Should be a great match. Is he the best back the Griz will face this year so far?

James Noble of Cal Poly is up there too. I haven't seen an SIU game this year though so I'm not sure how he compares.

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM
James Noble of Cal Poly is up there too. I haven't seen an SIU game this year though so I'm not sure how he compares.

except in the cal poly game both teams were inept on offense and had no idea what to do.

DuckDuckGriz
November 27th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Arkee Whitlock is the best RB the Griz have faced all year, but I don't think the Griz will be phased by this one bit. Their front line is ferocious :rotateh:

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2006, 01:55 AM
....and Furman was going to roll MSU, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, the Salukis might as well not even get on the plane then, huh? I mean,... after all. Maybe they should just save the money and forfeit....My guess is SIU surprises a Big Sky team. They may not WIN, but I doubt there'll be any "crush"ing going on.:twocents:

Proud Griz Man
November 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
From the 2006 Payton ballot:
Avg. Per Rush = 5.8

Hi Ralph.

Can you point me to any video clips of Arkee Whitlock on the net? He sounds like a really special running back, and SIU's linemen are supposed to be quite good. The Griz D will give 100% and we'll see on Saturday. Its playoff time, and nothing comes easy. :thumbsup:

November 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Ralph.
Can you point me to any video clips of Arkee Whitlock on the net? He sounds like a really special running back, and SIU's linemen are supposed to be quite good. The Griz D will give 100% and we'll see on Saturday. Its playoff time, and nothing comes easy. :thumbsup:No but maybe some Saluki fans know of some. Maybe there's an "Arkee for Payton" site set up? After watching the Griz defense over the past few weeks I would say Arkee has his work cut out for him.

Cleets
November 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Well, the Salukis might as well not even get on the plane then, huh? I mean,... after all. Maybe they should just save the money and forfeit....My guess is SIU surprises a Big Sky team. They may not WIN, but I doubt there'll be any "crush"ing going on.:twocents:

For the most part the bulk of your posts seem to be designed to agitate and inflame, rather than to express any real opinion or idea...

Interesting... Sad, but interesting:eyebrow:

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
My heart says SIU.....my wallet says Montana.....

But check out my sig pic.......

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM

sounds worse than the UNI fans.....me included.....:D

Grizfanatic
November 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Chi Panther,

Great sig pic is that from this year?

The Game:
I have a friend who attends SIU who has talked my ear off about Arkee and from what I have read and seen and heard the kid is awesome. That being said I do not think that SIU is good enough on the whole to beat the Griz at home.
The way I see it if the Griz offense comes out and fires the way they did against McNeese them we win big. However if the Offense comes out and faulters I think it is a close game with some heart-stopping action late.
I am not trying to take anything away from SIU, but I honestly feel that this game is the Griz to win or lose.
I for 1 however am looking forward to seing Arkee in person.

Good luck to both teams!!

GO GRIZ!!

Down with the Foe!
November 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
This is not a knock on Arkee...but he reminds me of Cal Poly RB James Noble. I have not watched him personally but I think if he is in that class of player....it will be a tough game, but the Griz Defense is really something else. This one goes to the "Good Guys" (Griz) and I think Home field could be the difference.

The fact that they say the noise and stadium will not bother them assures me of this.(everyone says that....and then eats crow in the Post Game press conference)

I will also be wearing my lucky Griz hat that has never seen a loss in WA-Griz.

Grizfanatic
November 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM
This is not a knock on Arkee...but he reminds me of Cal Poly RB James Noble. I have not watched him personally but I think if he is in that class of player....it will be a tough game, but the Griz Defense is really something else. This one goes to the "Good Guys" (Griz) and I think Home field could be the difference.

The fact that they say the noise and stadium will not bother them assures me of this.(everyone says that....and then eats crow in the Post Game press conference)

I will also be wearing my lucky Griz hat that has never seen a loss in WA-Griz.

From the vids I saw while visiting my friend I would say he is every bit as good as Noble, mayhap a touch quicker reactions.

GO GRIZ!

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
From the vids I saw while visiting my friend I would say he is every bit as good as Noble, mayhap a touch quicker reactions.

GO GRIZ!

hes a little bigger than noble. noble is only 5'6.

Proud Griz Man
November 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Ralph.

Can you point me to any video clips of Arkee Whitlock on the net? He sounds like a really special running back, and SIU's linemen are supposed to be quite good. The Griz D will give 100% and we'll see on Saturday. Its playoff time, and nothing comes easy. :thumbsup:

I looked on the SIU website and did not see video highlights of Arkee Whitlock, so I am hoping some fan can point me to video clips.

Anyone? Please. :)

siugrad99
November 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hard to compare players when you've only seen 1 of the 2 play.

Grizfanatic
November 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Seen both and would say Arkee is the better of the 2... good comparison, but I would say Arkee is the better.

KAUMASS
November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
This should be a classic. I have Montana favored, especially on paper. This game depends on which Southern Illinois team shows up. They have a history of jeckle & hyde this year, especially their offense. Southern Illinois also has a tremoundous running back. I believe he is a Payton finalist. Montana has a formidable defense. I have read their offense can be sluggish at times. Does anyone know-Is Montana's defense bend don't break style, or are they a smashmouth and pounding defense? Southern Illinois took it to Indiana and controlled the whole game. Indiana took it to Iowa, who previously took it to Montana..If the Southern Illinois team that beat Indiana shows up, it will be a epic battle. Does anyone know if Southern Illinois had any key injuries after the Indiana game to turn them into Jeckle and Hyde?

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
This should be a classic. I have Montana favored, especially on paper. This game depends on which Southern Illinois team shows up. They have a history of jeckle & hyde this year, especially their offense. Southern Illinois also has a tremoundous running back. I believe he is a Payton finalist. Montana has a formidable defense. I have read their offense can be sluggish at times. Does anyone know-Is Montana's defense bend don't break style, or are they a smashmouth and pounding defense? Southern Illinois took it to Indiana and controlled the whole game. Indiana took it to Iowa, who previously took it to Montana..If the Southern Illinois team that beat Indiana shows up, it will be a epic battle. Does anyone know if Southern Illinois had any key injuries after the Indiana game to turn them into Jeckle and Hyde?

we are a tough defense that has allowed 6 points to mcneese, 7 to the cats, 9 to cal poly. and 21 to Northern Colorado but that game was well decided when they were scoring the final points, seeing that we put up 59 on em. also we held payton finalist murietta to 92 yards passing. and the potent idaho state offenese to 99 yards total.

Killsback
November 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Our team is in as good a shape as it can be 12 games into the season. Lots of bangs and bruises, but no one will be held out because of an injury. Can't wait to see what the O Line can do against Montana's D.

Ronbo
November 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Saluki fan in Missoula calls for help this Saturday.

GUEST COMMENTARY: SIU fan rallies support from Montana

BY JOE KESLER, FOR THE SOUTHERN

MISSOULA, Mont. _ Hello Southern Illinois,

I lived in Carbondale for 28 years, and I can't remember any political or social issue moving me enough to write a letter to the editor.

However, now that I've left the great state of Illinois for beautiful Montana, I find myself ironically needing to write a commentary in hopes of motivating the denizens. What is the topic? Support for Saluki football!

Just a quick note of background. I am an SIU alumna with a son about to graduate from my alumna mater too. Having been a Carbondale bank president for about 14 years, I have a lot of vested memories of supporting SIU professionally and personally.

Therefore, when I see my beloved Dawgs are about to enter Hellgate Canyon in my new hometown of Missoula, I feel compelled to do my duty to provide on the scene reconnaissance in hopes of getting more Saluki fans out here for the upcoming football battle. In fact, I'll offer a Bison burger on me to any fans flying out next Saturday to root on the Dawgs.

Let me fill you in on why the Salukis are going to need more support out here than my family can provide. First, the intimate little stadium for the battle is located at the mouth of Hellgate Canyon. It's just beautiful, but appropriately named because of the number of causalities that occur ed as fur traders tried to get through hostile Indian lines. Today the Grizzles similarly make quick work of many invaders that enter Washington Grizzly stadium.

The games themselves are really hard to describe to my fellow Illinoisans. The town of Missoula is about 70,000, but almost every game is sold out. 24,000 crazy screaming mountain people attend every game. They have no distractions like the Rams or Cardinals to dilute their passions. The Grizzles are the only game in town and it shows.

People I work with decorate their Christmas tree with nothing but Grizzley ornaments. It's not uncommon for people to drive 5 or 6 hours to each and every game. In short, they are crazy out here about this football team. Nothing in 1AA football can compare to this program.

Games are something that no Saluki fan can fathom.

Last Saturday, they had F-16s buzz the stadium. Each game they have old guys parachute in to land on the 50-yard line. The noise is incredible.

Coach Kill needs to have the team practice to ear splitting rock music this week, because every game the opposing team gets at least 3 or 4 penalties for failing to be able to deal with the noise.

The only thing I can compare it to is the St. Louis Rams games, which is of course in a domed stadium. It is really nuts to imagine that this all takes place in a 1AA football game, but it does. Even the mascot is special. The last one is now the mascot for the Chicago Bulls and they give two scholarships for him to perform. The Saluki Dog mascot is great, but Monte the Grizzly is really a first-class act.

OK, enough already.

My point is, sign up to get out here somehow next Saturday. It will be a great time and the Dawgs will need as much support as they can get. Montana is really cool.

Come and ski, shop as we have no sales tax, sight see as the mountains are really cool, but also come and root the Saluki's on as I have told everyone they are going to kick the Grizzly's rears and they will need some help.

You'll have a great time in this most beautiful of all God's creation. See you on Saturday.

Joe Kesler was president of Old National Bank in Carbondale

crunifan
November 27th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hell, if I lived in Montana I'd definitely hit him up and cheer for the Salukis for a free meal. I'll have to sit at home and cheer from Iowa though. xlolx

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Our team is in as good a shape as it can be 12 games into the season. Lots of bangs and bruises, but no one will be held out because of an injury. Can't wait to see what the O Line can do against Montana's D.

could be trouble for us. we havent really faced a big strong offensive line so it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Proud Griz Man
November 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
could be trouble for us. we havent really faced a big strong offensive line so it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Actually, Montana State's O-line was big and strong IMHO. :nod:

Peems
November 27th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, Montana State's O-line was big and strong IMHO. :nod:

true but this one is just as big and at least just as strong and they have a much better RB than the cats. so i am still worried

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
true but this one is just as big and at least just as strong and they have a much better RB than the cats. so i am still worried
The Saluki line averages a little over 300 lbs. Is that big?

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Here's another interesting tid bit for all....

As a Soph....Arkee started over then Auburn Transfer Brandon Jacobs....now of the NY Football Giants.....

Montana has the complete team in this matchup....and SIU has a star......:twocents:

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM

As a Soph....Arkee started over then Auburn Transfer Brandon Jacobs....now of the NY Football Giants.....

Montana has the complete team in this matchup....and SIU has a star......:twocents:
That was true at the start of that season. Towards the end Jacobs started and on occasion both were in the backfield.

GrizRchattybound
November 27th, 2006, 11:05 PM
You all will be shocked at this Montana defense.

:asswhip:

If the offense shows - say goodnight Alice.

:twocents:

Proud Griz Man
November 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Can anyone point me to video clips of this star running back on the web, please? :)

November 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Can anyone point me to video clips of this star running back on the web, please? :)As the head SID wrote me today, they are into basketball season so football is passe. :(

BigSkyGrizGano
November 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I am somewhat concerned about SIU, but if the Griz play like they have the last 3 weeks, we should be fine. By the way, Iowa played there best game of the year against us, so using Indiana as a comparison is completely invalid.

Proud Griz Man
November 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
As the head SID wrote me today, they are into basketball season so football is passe. :(

Hi Ralph.

There are zero highlight films of a Walter Payton Award finalist?
So its 2006, and SIU has zero video cameras to take films of their own games? Or they are too lazy to put highlights out on the web?
I am not sure I understand your message about the SID, and maybe you are being vague to remain professional. I don't have to maintain a relationship with this SID but he's not doing a very good job. If I were a voter, I'd vote for Santos or Murrietta. Nothing against Whitlock, just his peeps.

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Ronbo
November 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.southernillinoisan.com/articles/2006/11/28/sports/10007015.txt

Few football teams have left Grizzly Stadium victorious

The Salukis will be walking into a hostile environment Saturday when they face Montana at Washington Grizzly Stadium.

The facility was built in 1986. It has been expanded several times and seats around 24,000.

The Salukis and their fans can expect a full-house of wildly-partisan Grizzly fans.

"Everybody has called me," said SIU coach Jerry Kill. "From Terry Allen (Missouri State coach), it seems like everybody in the country has played at Montana at one time or another. They all tell you it's unbelievable.

"Terry Allen has coached in the Big 12 and he said there is not a louder stadium in the country."

Historically, few teams have encountered the Grizzlies in Missoula and emerged victorious. Montana won 30 consecutive home games from 1994-97. Their overall winning percentage at home is .874.

Weather could be a factor in the game. Long-range forecasts suggest cold and a possible snowstorm.

"You can't predict the weather," Kill said. "The one thing we have going for us is we're a run team."

- Les Winkeler

Proud Griz Man
November 28th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Tuesday article

Second-seeded Montana a 'complete team'

by les winkeler, the southern

Most Southern Illinoisans would be hard-pressed to find Missoula on a map - if you spotted them Montana.

However, Missoula will be a focal point for Southern Illinois University football fans this week as the Salukis travel to Montana to face the 11-1 Grizzlies in Division I-AA quarterfinal play Saturday. Officially, Missoula, home of the University of Montana, is located in the mountainous west-central region of the state. Unofficially, the University of Montana is the capital of Big Sky football.

The answering machine in the Montana football office makes that clear, stating, for the record, that the Grizzlies are the nine-time defending Big Sky champions. Just who are these Grizzlies?

Montana opened its season dropping a 41-6 decision at Iowa. The Hawkeyes were the 16th-ranked team in the nation at the time. Since then, Montana has been on a roll, winning 11 straight games, including Saturday's 31-6 playoff win over McNeese State.

"They're a complete team, that's why they're the No. 2 seed in the field," said SIU coach Jerry Kill. "They're a very similar team to Appalachian State. The difference is their guys aren't as fast as Appalachian State. There is a reason Montana has been in the NCAA playoffs 14 straight years."

The Grizzlies have been in some nail-biters, including a 13-7 win over Montana State in the regular season finale. Montana nipped Cal-Poly 10-9 two weeks earlier.

On paper, the game appears to feature teams with contrasting styles.

The Grizzlies rely heavily on the pass.

Quarterback Josh Swogger has thrown for 2,262 yards, nearly 500 more than SIU. On the other hand, the Grizzlies have put the ball in the air 370 times this season as compared to just 195 for SIU.

Swogger's favorite targets are wide receivers Ryan Bagley, Eric Allen and Craig Chambers. All three have 36 or more receptions. Braden Jones, SIU's leading receiver, has 32 catches. Swogger has been intercepted 10 times.

However, don't think Montana is a finesse team.

The Grizzlies offensive line is nicknamed the "Ton of Fun." The starting offensive line includes center Jeff Marshall (6-foot-5, 285 pounds); guards Colin Dow (6-5, 318) and Terran Hillesland (6-7, 320); and tackles Cody Balogh (6-7, 320) and Brent Russum (6-4, 285). That offensive line is responsible for 1,731 rushing yards. By contrast, SIU's Arkee Whitlock has rushed for 1,748 yards this season. The Grizzlies run by committee.

Junior running back Reggie Bradshaw is the team's leading rusher with 569 yards and 10 touchdowns. Brady Green, a senior, ranks second with 505 yards. Freshman T. Brooks-Fletcher has just 299 yards on the season but ran for more than 100 yards in the Grizzlies' win over McNeese State.

Defensively, the Grizzlies have been particularly stingy against run-oriented teams. Montana gives up just 98.1 rushing yards per game � Whitlock averages 145.7 per game.

In the meantime, Montana has surrendered just nine rushing touchdowns this season. The Grizzlies feature six players with 59-69 tackles. Colt Anderson, a sophomore defensive back, and Kroy Biermann, a junior defensive end, each have 69 tackles. Tyler Joyce, a junior linebacker, is next in line with 61 tackles and Kyle Ryan, another junior linebacker, has 60.

"They have a huge tradition," Kill said. "They feel like that's where I-AA football was invented."

[email protected]

elkmcc
November 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM
As the head SID wrote me today, they are into basketball season so football is passe. :(

If this is the pervasive attitude in the CS it is no wonder that our subdivision has floundered in obscurity for all these years. If I was a So. Illinois fan I would be P.O. to say the least. :bang:

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.southernillinoisan.com/articles/2006/11/28/sports/10007015.txt

Few football teams have left Grizzly Stadium victorious

The Salukis will be walking into a hostile environment Saturday when they face Montana at Washington Grizzly Stadium.

The facility was built in 1986. It has been expanded several times and seats around 24,000.

The Salukis and their fans can expect a full-house of wildly-partisan Grizzly fans.

"Everybody has called me," said SIU coach Jerry Kill. "From Terry Allen (Missouri State coach), it seems like everybody in the country has played at Montana at one time or another. They all tell you it's unbelievable.

"Terry Allen has coached in the Big 12 and he said there is not a louder stadium in the country."

Historically, few teams have encountered the Grizzlies in Missoula and emerged victorious. Montana won 30 consecutive home games from 1994-97. Their overall winning percentage at home is .874.

Weather could be a factor in the game. Long-range forecasts suggest cold and a possible snowstorm.

"You can't predict the weather," Kill said. "The one thing we have going for us is we're a run team."

- Les Winkeler

Call Jim Tressel, he'll tell you how to win at Wash-Griz stadium:D

elkmcc
November 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
"They're a complete team, that's why they're the No. 2 seed in the field," said SIU coach Jerry Kill. "They're a very similar team to Appalachian State. The difference is their guys aren't as fast as Appalachian State. There is a reason Montana has been in the NCAA playoffs 14 straight years."

Keep thinking that Jerry. Boy are you in for a surprise.:D

jimgrizfan
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Montana's News Station KPAX is pleased to announce that we will be carrying Saturday's football playoff game between The Griz and Southern Illinois LIVE, beginning at 12:30 p.m. The television rights to all of the second round NCAA I-AA football games are held by ESPN. Originally, the only way to see UM's playoff game was to watch a tape delayed broadcast which ESPN is carrying on their pay-per-view Game Plan Package at 7:30 P.M. on Saturday.

Ronbo
November 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I'm told by an Advertiser that Altitude Sports will carry the game live too. Not sure who will be doing the play by play and camera work. One will be picking up the feed from the other. I hope it's Altitude because KPAX has old cameras that aren't very sharp and their camera guys miss plays. They get fooled more than opposing defenses.xlolx

jimgrizfan
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
KPAX Christmas list................new live action cameras and operators !!!

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
That is bad on SIU's part....

But for those of you who don't know how BIG basketball is in Carbondale....The current head coaches at Illinois and Purdue are former SIU coaches.....there is alot of pride down there....

GRZZ
November 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Call Jim Tressel, he'll tell you how to win at Wash-Griz stadium:D

And look where Tressel is now. Obviously he is a great coach so I think it says just as much about how tough it is to win in Missoula, it takes a quality program to do it.

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

actually i would agree that App. St is probably faster, but as Kramer said our guys are bigger.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
That's too bad that SIU has moved on to basketball season. Their b-ball program is great, but they do realize it's possible to do both, right?

November 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
SIU's asst. SID Honza is all about football!

GRZZ
November 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM
SIU's asst. SID Honza is all about football!

I take it you got some information from him?

Down with the Foe!
November 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM

I felt instantly better when I read that.

:eek: xidiotx :nono:

xcoffeex back to sleep coach.

Down with the Foe!
November 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
actually i would agree that App. St is probably faster, but as Kramer said our guys are bigger.

Peems, don't take this the wrong way.(I'm asking a serious question)

do you go to the games?-

This defense has to be (one of if not) the fastest and most agressive defenses in the land. Arkee and Coach Kill are in for a rude awakening.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm told by an Advertiser that Altitude Sports will carry the game live too. Not sure who will be doing the play by play and camera work. One will be picking up the feed from the other. I hope it's Altitude because KPAX has old cameras that aren't very sharp and their camera guys miss plays. They get fooled more than opposing defenses.xlolx

It is NOT going to be KPAX producing the game. They are going to take a feed from whoever (Altitude-ESPN) and microwave it around the state.:hurray:

skinny_uncle
November 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM
That's too bad that SIU has moved on to basketball season. Their b-ball program is great, but they do realize it's possible to do both, right?
I would say we understand that quite well. We have been in the football playoffs the last four years and the NCAA Tourney the last five. How many schools can match that?

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Peems, don't take this the wrong way.(I'm asking a serious question)

do you go to the games?-

This defense has to be (one of if not) the fastest and most agressive defenses in the land. Arkee and Coach Kill are in for a rude awakening.

yes and in no way am i saying that our team is slow, but in all honesty from what ive seen from app st. they are faster, but not saying they are light years faster just overall faster. and i totally agree about our defense and offense we are definitely one of the fastest teams in the country from top to bottom. but what i was saying is we are perhaps the second fastest team in the country to app.st but our guys are bigger overall than app. st.(at least according to coach kramer)

November 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I take it you got some information from him?yeah, every week now that basketball season is underway at SIU. Guffey is who I get Griz info from.

November 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I would say we understand that quite well. We have been in the football playoffs the last four years and the NCAA Tourney the last five. How many schools can match that?Uh, football playoffs is a D-I NCAA tourney too. So if you have been in the D-I football tourney four years in a row, what other D-I tourney have you been in five years in a row?

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Uh, football playoffs is a D-I NCAA tourney too. So if you have been in the D-I football tourney four years in a row, what other D-I tourney have you been in five years in a row?

march madness!!!:eek:

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM
bump

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Arkee Whitlock is the best running back that has ever came into Wash-Griz Stadium.

I think James Noble is the best RB in the BSC but this guy is better.

If we had any other defense I would be worried, but our guys can fly around, and this is the best defense UM has ever had. We kept Iowa's running game at bay for 3.5 quarters.

I know this guy is a certifiable stud but our defense should be able to keep him in check and not let SIU score a ton of points.

Tailbone
November 29th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Arkee Whitlock is the best running back that has ever came into Wash-Griz Stadium.
........:eyebrow:

I thought Adrian Peterson was pretty good.

redbirdtim
November 29th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I trust the judgment of someone like Coach Kill when it comes to judging talent-especially something like speed. Take game films from both teams, and it would probably be easier to determine who has better team speed.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I have one question for the SIU coach: How does he KNOW App State players are faster?
Maybe because his team went up against virtually the same App State defense last year in the quarters. Give Coach Kill a break, he is one of the best in the business (and a truly nice guy, too).

GrizRchattybound
November 29th, 2006, 07:40 AM

If we had any other defense I would be worried, but our guys can fly around, and this is the best defense UM has ever had. We kept Iowa's running game at bay for 3.5 quarters.

I know this guy is a certifiable stud but our defense should be able to keep him in check and not let SIU score a ton of points.

Who are you?

The real Alpha would never say:

Cal Poly and James Noble are not inthe BSC

Ronbo
November 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
:eyebrow:

I thought Adrian Peterson was pretty good.

I never got to see AP because he never came to Wash/Griz. If you went to Chatty in 2000 you got to see him.

Tailbone
November 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I never got to see AP because he never came to Wash/Griz. If you went to Chatty in 2000 you got to see him.

Wow. Coulda sworn I saw him at Wa-Griz.
I gotta quit drinkin' on gameday.

......on the other hand - since, when properly "tuned", I can't tell the difference between a live or televised performance......I can just buy a 12pack and save myself the cost of a cross country trip! :hurray:

elkmcc
November 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM
"They're a complete team, that's why they're the No. 2 seed in the field," said SIU coach Jerry Kill. "They're a very similar team to Appalachian State. The difference is their guys aren't as fast as Appalachian State. "

Maybe because his team went up against virtually the same App State defense last year in the quarters. Give Coach Kill a break, he is one of the best in the business (and a truly nice guy, too).

I dunno Mr. C. How would Appy players and fans react if coach Hauck came out with a statement comparing coaches: "SUI coaches are a lot like App State's except SUI's are a lot smarter".?
Sure seems like bulletin board material to me.............

APPSTER
November 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I dunno Mr. C. How would Appy players and fans react if coach Hauck came out with a statement comparing coaches: "SUI coaches are a lot like App State's except SUI's are a lot smarter".?
Sure seems like bulletin board material to me.............

Not really a good analogy....you can see speed. Why get uptight about it? One team is faster than the other and Kill thinks its Appalachian. Sheez!

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
November 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I've seen some clips of Appy on the field; and I would venture that they are quicker than us. Quickness, however, does not always equal better.

I think our D has the the tools to stuff this Whitlock character, but if our offense shows up----good night and good fight because I don't think theres a team that can beat us if we play like last week.

ncguitarplyr
November 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Sportsnetwork's Prediction:

"No. 10 Southern Illinois (9-3) at No. 2 Montana (11-1), 2:30

The most experienced playoff teams in the field meet in a second round matchup in Missoula. The seniors on both sides have enjoyed playoff campaigns in every one of their seasons, as the Salukis are in their fourth consecutive postseason while Montana has extended its amazing playoff run to 14 years in a row. After losing in the first round in 2003 and 2004, the Salukis are through to the quarterfinals for the second year in a row after coming back to defeat UT Martin, 36-30, in the first round. Star running back Arkee Whitlock tallied 207 yards and four touchdowns to lead the comeback from a 27-7 deficit, but it took a 45-yard scoring strike from Nick Hill to Alan Turner with 57 seconds remaining to produce the winning points. The Salukis are making their third quarterfinal appearance overall, with the other one coming when they won the national championship in 1983. They lost in the quarterfinals at No. 2 seed Appalachian State last year, and will try to avoid the same fate with a trip to No. 2 seed Montana. The Grizzlies rolled in their first-round game for a 31-6 victory over McNeese State. Quarterback Josh Swogger tossed four touchdown passes, and the Grizzlies held a 514-224 edge in total yardage in a dominating performance on both sides of the ball. The victory gave Montana a 21-4 all-time playoff record at Washington-Grizzly Stadium, and put the Grizzlies into the quarterfinals for the fifth time in seven years. Advancing past the first round has generally been a good indicator of continued success as well. Montana has advanced to the national championship game on five of the last six occasions that it has reached the quarterfinals, with only a 2002 quarterfinal loss at McNeese State interrupting the streak. The Grizzlies and Southern Illinois have never faced off on the gridiron.

When Southern Illinois Has the Ball: There’s not a whole lot of mystery to what the Salukis want to do on offense. They have arguably the best offensive player in the country at their disposal, and are going to give Arkee Whitlock (1748 yards, 25 TD) the ball as many times as he can handle it. Whitlock has been amazing lately, with 775 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns in the last four games alone. He has posted at least 170 yards and three touchdowns in every one of those outings, and notched 207 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Salukis to a come-from-behind, 36-30, victory over UT Martin. He is leading an offense that ranks in the top three nationally in both rushing (245.3 ypg) and scoring (37.1 ppg). UT Martin had strong defensive numbers coming into last week’s game, and Whitlock’s November to remember also included efforts against good Youngstown State and Northern Iowa defenses. While those teams all bring quality defenses, none of them have the type of unit that Montana will bring to the table to stop Whitlock. The Grizzlies have a dominating defensive line that helps them limit opponents to 98.1 rushing yards per game and 2.99 yards per carry, and they held Cal Poly, Montana State and McNeese State to less than 100 rushing yards in the last month alone. The Grizzlies also kept all of those teams to single-digit point totals, and are allowing only 16.9 ppg for the season. While the ability to tackle Whitlock and keep him from breaking big plays will be key, the battle up front between one of the nation’s best offensive lines and one of the top defensive lines could really determine how effective Whitlock and the Saluki running game will be. Expect Whitlock to get enough touches to get near the century mark, but posting another effort with 150+ rushing yards and multiple touchdowns will be very difficult against the Grizzly defense. The Salukis will likely need more than usual from Nick Hill (1684 yards, 15 TD/4 INT) and the passing game. Hill came up with a big touchdown pass last week and has played well this season, but he only threw more than 20 passes in one game and has been sacked only 12 times. The Grizzly defense has 30 sacks and 17 interceptions, so they might be able to rattle the first-year starter and create a few mistakes if they stop the run and force the Salukis to pass more than they want to.

When Montana Has the Ball: After struggling against most of the good defenses they faced this season, the Montana offense got going with a strong and balanced performance for an easy win over McNeese State. The Grizzlies gained 284 yards through the air, as Josh Swogger (2288 yards, 15 TD/10 INT) had his best day as a Grizzly and distributed the ball brilliantly to a deep receiving corps that boasts three players (Ryan Bagley, Eric Allen, Craig Chambers) that all have at least 36 receptions, 580 yards and four touchdowns. The Grizzly running game got going as well, and they continue to build depth in the backfield with three players sharing carries. Brady Green (505 yards, 6 TD) and Thomas Brooks-Fletcher (299 yards, 2 TD) got most of the work for a backfield that gashed the McNeese State defense for 230 yards on the ground. Brooks- Fletcher averages 6.4 yards per carry while taking on a heavier workload late in the season, and the Grizzlies can go to three different running backs with Reggie Bradshaw (569 yards, 10 TD) also capable of getting carries. Montana averages 29 ppg and showed an ability to run as well as pass last week. The momentum of last week’s performance can certainly carry over here, because the Grizzlies go up against a defense that has been up and down this year. The Salukis are holding opponents to 19.7 ppg, but have allowed 320.8 yards per contest and had a tough time stopping the run lately. They gave up 162 yards and two touchdowns against UT Martin, and have allowed some big days to quality running games. Montana’s running game might not be on the level of the Gateway opponents the Salukis have faced, but the Grizzlies should be able to move pretty consistently on the ground. That will also set up a good aerial attack against a Saluki defense that has allowed 187.1 passing yards per game and notched only seven interceptions. Southern Illinois does have 31 sacks, so they can get pressure on a Montana offense that places last in the nation with 43 sacks allowed. The Grizzlies will need a good day on the ground again, because the Salukis can get after Swogger in obvious passing situations. Southern Illinois has just 13 takeaways this year, but it might need some big plays to slow the Grizzlies.

Intangibles: More than any other game this week, taking the early lead will be critical, especially for the Salukis. If Southern Illinois falls behind early and can’t get back in the game with Whitlock running wild, it could be in for a long day facing an attacking Grizzly defense and a pumped up Washington-Grizzly Stadium crowd. Getting ahead or at least staying close all the way will allow the Salukis to feed Whitlock as much as possible, and forcing Montana into passing situations could help them get pressure on Swogger. The weather could always play a factor in Western Montana in early December as well, though the current forecast calls for a clear day in the 20s. The environment in Missoula can still be intimidating for a team that has never played there, but a Saluki team that is in its fourth consecutive postseason should be ready for the stage.

The Verdict: Whitlock has been taking over games lately, and he’s certainly capable of doing that again and leading the potent Saluki offense to an upset in Missoula. But every other factor seems to go in Montana’s favor. The Grizzlies should keep Whitlock from posting another huge day, and match up well against the Saluki passing game. Even if the Salukis can score, they figure to have a tough time stopping the Grizzly offense. Turnovers and a big game from Whitlock could turn things around, but the Grizzlies have the better overall team and should slow the Saluki offense and score consistently to move to the semifinals.
Prediction: Montana 34, Southern Illinois 20"
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
November 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Anyone know how many times Whitlock has fumbled this year? With that amount of carries, he's had to have coughed it up a few times?

Killsback
November 29th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I believe Whitlock has only fumbled the ball once this season and we recovered it. He fumbled against Illinois State but it bounced right back into his arms. he has a streak of something like 450 carries without a fumble. The things that makes him so special as with all talented running backs. It seems that he never takes a tremendous shot. His hip control is amazing and he always manages to avoid a crushing hit.

Phrebert
November 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Whitlock vs the Griz D, Now that is a matchup I can't wait to see.

Go Griz

GrizFamily
November 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Whitlock vs the Griz D, Now that is a matchup I can't wait to see.

Go Griz

Ditto that. We know our defense is good, and now we get a chance to find out just how good. Arkee is clearly a great back and it's going to take a full team effort to keep him from hurting us. This sounds like just where we want to be at this point in the season. Good luck to the SIU team.

Grizfanatic
November 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but have there not been several times that a big time back or big time run based offense has come to WaGriz and gotten handled if not owned?

I am not saying that Arkee is not the real deal, hell I have seen video and was very impressed... but this defense is the shiznit, really special. Its not just the speed, intensity and smarts, its the TEAM mentallity.
I dont see arkee getting more than 100 and SIU on the whole will be hard pressed to get 200 total...

I think this is the game where the Griz show just how awesome they are!:hurray:

Either way good luck to SIU and to the Good guys!

(Sits back and waits for this post to get tor to hell)

Saluki Fan in FL
November 29th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I've seen some clips of Appy on the field; and I would venture that they are quicker than us. Quickness, however, does not always equal better.

I think our D has the the tools to stuff this Whitlock character, but if our offense shows up----good night and good fight because I don't think theres a team that can beat us if we play like last week.

This Whitlock character is averaging almost 4 touchdowns a game in his last four. 775 yards. If I had to pick a character's name... I think I'd chose Mr. Magoo... he can find his way through heavy traffic with his eyes closed.

As for what team we bring. If we bring the team WE had last weekend, yes... we'll grab the lights on our way out. But if we show you just a little of what we showed Indiana... You may want to keep those light on for a while... and bring some coffee, it's gonna be a long night.

Hard to say. I hope it's our best.

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but have there not been several times that a big time back or big time run based offense has come to WaGriz and gotten handled if not owned?

I am not saying that Arkee is not the real deal, hell I have seen video and was very impressed... but this defense is the shiznit, really special. Its not just the speed, intensity and smarts, its the TEAM mentallity.
I dont see arkee getting more than 100 and SIU on the whole will be hard pressed to get 200 total...

I think this is the game where the Griz show just how awesome they are!:hurray:

Either way good luck to SIU and to the Good guys!

(Sits back and waits for this post to get tor to hell)

actually you are correct except last year in the first round. Noble had quite a game as Cal Poly went on to score 35 points. but as you said this is not the same defense as last year.

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM
This Whitlock character is averaging almost 4 touchdowns a game in his last four. 775 yards. If I had to pick a character's name... I think I'd chose Mr. Magoo... he can find his way through heavy traffic with his eyes closed.

As for what team we bring. If we bring the team WE had last weekend, yes... we'll grab the lights on our way out. But if we show you just a little of what we showed Indiana... You may want to keep those light on for a while... and bring some coffee, it's gonna be a long night.

Hard to say. I hope it's our best.

its not a night game. its at 1230 MST.

smattesich
November 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Who are you?

The real Alpha would never say:

Cal Poly and James Noble are not inthe BSC

Wish Cal Poly was in the BSC as it would sure make great games each year as we do pretty well overall with BSC teams. Last year playoff game was a great game at Wash/Griz. What a place to play everything said about the game days is correct and you can only understand if you have attended one of the games. Good luck to the Griz.

Poly 71

GrizFoo
November 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Wish Cal Poly was in the BSC as it would sure make great games each year as we do pretty well overall with BSC teams. Last year playoff game was a great game at Wash/Griz. What a place to play everything said about the game days is correct and you can only understand if you have attended one of the games. Good luck to the Griz.

Poly 71

Plus, if CP was in the BSC we would get to go to beautiful SLO and play on your turf. That would probably be a nice little change for CP. :rolleyes:

From a pure football perspective, I love the idea of CP in the BSC.

AZGrizFan
November 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Plus, if CP was in the BSC we would get to go to beautiful SLO and play on your turf. That would probably be a nice little change for CP. :rolleyes:

From a pure football perspective, I love the idea of CP in the BSC.

ME TOO!!! No more "weak sister" crap about the BSC then! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SO ILLmatic
November 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I know that some of you were asking to see clips of Arkee. I found this Payton campaign clip today on SIU's athletic homepage. *NOTE* You need Quicktime to view the clip.**

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112906aal.html

skinny_uncle
November 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Anyone know how many times Whitlock has fumbled this year? With that amount of carries, he's had to have coughed it up a few times?
Whitlock has 0 turnovers for his career at SIU. With the number of carries plus the fact that returns kickoffs, that may be his most amazing stat.

AZGrizFan
November 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Whitlock has 0 turnovers for his career at SIU. With the number of carries plus the fact that returns kickoffs, that may be his most amazing stat.

That could be true. :eek: :eek:

Griz0383
November 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Any weather predictions? This sub ZERO Crap sucks and I might have to put on a parka for this weekend!! Welcome all Saluki fans to Montana I hope it warms up for ya!

November 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I know that some of you were asking to see clips of Arkee. I found this Payton campaign clip today on SIU's athletic homepage. *NOTE* You need Quicktime to view the clip.**
http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112906aal.htmlHonza did it! Congrats to SIU and to that great kid Arkee!

GrizRchattybound
November 29th, 2006, 09:34 PM
WOW...I'm really excited to see this game.

he may be the best running back we've seen this year, and we have seen a couple of great ones.

He's no "Lex" but he is a very good looking back.(different, not any less of a player, so easy)

That backfield juke he does to get going is a little scary, I'll say that right now...throws flow teams off every time outta the chutes, I still think we are the fastest D nd one of the most physical they have faced.

:twocents:

See ya boys Saturday.

Saluki Fan in FL
November 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Looking at the weather forecast online just now, I noticed light snow showers. How much snow is there right now? Looks like they are predicting the flurries to continue through Friday night. Saturday partly cloudy high of 25. How accurate is that?

I wonder how much snow will be on the field come Saturday.

jimgrizfan
November 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Go to www.flymissoula.com, there is a webcam you can control and see what it looks like weatherwise. It has been snowing this morning but is tapering off. I would venture to guess 4" on ground. They will clear field before game like they did last week.

GrizFoo
November 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Local news had Kroy Bierman taking about Whitlock. Said he is not only a great RB and footall player, but a good guy, who is unselfish and gives credit to the team and his OL.

It may be in these interviews. But either way, here are some short Q&As from the Griz press conference.

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/gallery/xsl/nav.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=gallery_media&id_section=10200&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=sort_value&-sortorder.1=descend&-sortfield.2=file_effective_date&-sortorder.2=descend&-token.0=&-token.2=10096&-token.3=10099&-token.4=10200&-token.5=185&-token.9=4&-max=25&-find

Saluki Fan in FL
November 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
For those of you who aren't local and are still searching for ways to watch the game... BigSkyTv IS airing it for free online.

http://www.bigskytv.org/

For those of us on the East coast... the time listed is Mountain. Game starts at 2:30 for us.

Good luck Grizz
GO SALUKIS!!!

igo4uni
November 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM
For those of you who aren't local and are still searching for ways to watch the game... BigSkyTv IS airing it for free online.

http://www.bigskytv.org/

For those of us on the East coast... the time listed is Mountain. Game starts at 2:30 for us.

Good luck Grizz
GO SALUKIS!!!

I may have to tune in!!

siugrad99
November 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That is awesome !

Grizo406
November 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Looking at the weather forecast online just now, I noticed light snow showers. How much snow is there right now? Looks like they are predicting the flurries to continue through Friday night. Saturday partly cloudy high of 25. How accurate is that?

I wonder how much snow will be on the field come Saturday.

There's a few inches of snow on the ground in Missoula right now.

Unless it snows before the game starts, look for the playing surface to be clear, thanks to our superb maintenance people. There might be a ton of it on the side-lines, but the playing surface will be clear.

It seems a lot colder than 25 to me.

Peems
November 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
no worries about weather, the football gods shall smile on missoula:)

Ronbo
November 30th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Local news forecasts a high of 22 and a low of 11 Saturday. Considering that the high of the day occurs at 4-4:30 the temp at kickoff will be 17-18 degrees. I live here and I went out yesterday when it was 19 and it felt damn cold.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM
You should have came to Carbondale. It is supposed to be a balmy 37 at gametime Saturday.
:nod:

igo4uni
November 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You should have came to Carbondale. It is supposed to be a balmy 37 at gametime Saturday.
:nod:

Both teams should consider a dome!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Peems
November 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Both teams should consider a dome!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

slander!!!:eek:

igo4uni
November 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
slander!!!:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzaholic
December 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Then how would the skydivers get into the dome???? And the views of the mountains and the smoke from tailgates????

Just say no to domes.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
I was going to get Game Plan for Saturday, but even with my 50% discount I would be paying $11 for 3 games, and 2 games kick off at the same time. :nonono2:

jimgrizfan
December 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
The boys from SIU have arrived safely in Missoula on their Sun Country charter. Good luck in the game.

catbob
December 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Not going to read this thread, but good luck Griz. ;)

Peems
December 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Not going to read this thread, but good luck Griz. ;)

back at ya catbob;) :thumbsup:

rcny46
December 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM
The boys from SIU have arrived safely in Missoula on their Sun Country charter. Good luck in the game.

I was wondering how all the bad weather in the midwest,plains and Rocky Mountain areas would affect SIU's travel.Good to hear that they made it OK,and that the same can be said about MSU and ISU as well.

skinny_uncle
December 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear it. The weather has not been ideal here the last couple of days.

SpreadtheRed
December 2nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
GO SLOOOOOKS!
Showin some Gateway love, and dang, Montana just got introduced, its a sellout.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
GO SLOOOOOKS!
Showin some Gateway love, and dang, Montana just got introduced, its a sellout.
A sellout is not a shock.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Salukis using a silent count. The Saluki announcers says it is as loud as the UNI dome.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
The Saluki announcers says it is as loud as the UNI dome.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Montana seems to be passing with ease.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
1st down griz at SIU 30

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
3rd and 2 for montana at siu 22

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Griz with a 42 yard FG

igo4uni
siu holds

igo4uni
3-0 griz

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
siu has to punt.

igo4uni
December 2nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
montana starts at their own 30

AndrewFU21
December 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Swogger is looking pretty good out there. So Ill can't seem to get anything going on offense

GrizDen
December 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Swogger is looking pretty good out there. So Ill can't seem to get anything going on offense

Griz have over 100 yards of O - SIU has 2, lot's of football to be played though.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
It reminds me of how the Indiana game started. The Dawgs got behind 14-0 in that one before they got going.