PDA

View Full Version : The Streak Ends! USD Loses! ...will the talk end??

Jackluv
November 25th, 2006, 06:18 PM
:hurray:

UCD with the 10 point win to seal their 37th consecutive winning season....

remember that Davis was pretty mediocre this year

please discuss haha

Chi Panther
November 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
This makes USD look bad......UC Davis was .500........

smarterray
November 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
:hurray:

UCD with the 10 point win to seal their 37th consecutive winning season....

remember that Davis was pretty mediocre this year

please discuss haha

I'm pretty sure all you've seen about UC Davis is the 5-5 record. Please check our schedule, who we've played, and how close the games were before you call us "mediocre."

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm certain there will be much discussion...early prediction: This thread ends up on the Smack Board

Chi Panther
November 25th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure all you've seen about UC Davis is the 5-5 record. Please check our schedule, who we've played, and how close the games were before you call us "mediocre."

I was not smaking.....i agree completely with how TOUGH your schedule is.....i'm just stating that in no way did USD deserve a playoff at-large

UAalum72
November 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I was not smaking.....i agree completely with how TOUGH your schedule is.....i'm just stating that in no way did USD deserve a playoff at-large
I don't see that they would have done any worse than some of the other teams that got at-large bids - or some of the auto-bid teams

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hats off to USD played a great game.

USD's offense is every bit as lethal. DONT DOUBT THAT ONE BIT. Josh Johnson is a really good QB. He alone is the reason why USD is so good. Without him USD is just another school in San Diego. from what I was hearing I can understand why the USD coach says he is as good as he says. If you surround JOhnson with the talent DAVIS has. He puts up the same number

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Nice win UCD. Now we can have a clearer view of who USD really is.

Good call by the committee.

Bisonforlife
November 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I don't see that they would have done any worse than some of the other teams that got at-large bids - or some of the auto-bid teams
I agree I didn't expect it to be this close of a game. Good game by both clubs:)

Go...gate
November 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM

No argument here. You guys play a very challenging schedule and aren't afraid to step up and play I-A schools. Back east, the NEC is now doing this. USD has to do it as well.

Tod
November 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Nice win UCD. Now we can have a clearer view of who USD really is.

Good call by the committee.

UCD 45, MSU 0

We certainly didn't have a clear view of MSU at that point, did we?

USD played a fine game, and if anything, I think they proved that they were closer to deserving a bid than some people thought.

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I would love to see how the stats for this game compare to USD's regualr season stats. Offense put up a ton of yards like they did last year. but I believe they gave up way more yards then they usually do

Pard4Life
November 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I had UC Davis ranked in my poll until a week or two ago. Played a brutal schedule like all have noted... Montana St, South Dakota St., Cal Poly, North Dakota St.

Well, no surprise USD lost... actually played a good team (forget they had a game to tell you the truth).. they will also have their match met next week vs. Monmouth.

Maybe if USD was accustomed to playing such powerful teams they would be able to beat a team like UC Davis. Shows you that the committee made the right choice.. keeping USD at home.

Looking foward to them playing at Monmouth Saturday.

Tod
November 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I had UC Davis ranked in my poll until a week or two ago. Played a brutal schedule like all have noted... Montana St, South Dakota St., Cal Poly, North Dakota St.

Well, no surprise USD lost... actually played a good team (forget they had a game to tell you the truth).. they will also have their match met next week vs. Monmouth.

Maybe if USD was accustomed to playing such powerful teams they would be able to beat a team like UC Davis. Shows you that the committee made the right choice.. keeping USD at home.

Looking foward to them playing at Monmouth Saturday.

I disagree. It doesn't show that the committee made the right choice. A total blowout would have shown that.

UCD could have beaten many of this years playoff teams at home, no doubt.

MiamiTorero
November 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM

This makes USD look bad?:confused: We played a good game against a team that went 6-5 on a tough schedule one of those wins including MSU (45-0). I think USD earned the respect of UCD team and fans as well as a lot of other people that did not think they could hang before. This was a hard fought game on both sides and I think USD could a lot better than some of the loser in the first round today. We'd score more than 7 points thats for sure. Good game UCD and USD congrats on the win UCD.

Pard4Life
November 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I can see all of AGS now..

"The Toreros are just who we thought they were!!" :D

USD is a good team, just not Top 25 good...

MiamiTorero
November 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM

:giveadamn:

Tod
November 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Pard, are you blind or just ignoring my posts? :confused: :confused:

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2006, 06:56 PM

If getting beat by UC Davis by 10 on the road means a team didn't belong in the playoffs, what's Montana State doing in the playoffs after losing by 45 to UC Davis at home?

DFW HOYA
November 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Nothing for the Toreros to hang their head about. UC Davis' run of winning seasons speaks for itself.

However, there seems to be some on this board who wouldn't consider a non-scholarship team under ANY curcumstances in the playoffs, regardless of record or opponents. USD could go four straight years at 11-0 and some would argue they don't belong. I suspect that if some could turn back time, they would have never added the Patriot to an auto bid, either.

USD's football budget is $900,000. Please don't equate scholarships as the only criterion to judge teams. It's easy to say when you're Northeast Central Midsouth State U. with $3,000 tuition. Because short of joining the Big Sky conference, USD has very few options other than the Pioneer--they have to play with what they've got.

Much like Boise State, who for years got no respect in the WAC, you've someday got to give credit where it is due, and USD is 11-0 next year they deserve a serious look, something which the committee is really not prepared to do.

USD deserves, if nothing else, recognition for a great season. Best of luck in 2007.

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Nothing for the Toreros to hang their head about. UC Davis' run of winning seasons speaks for itself.

However, there seems to be some on this board who wouldn't consider a non-scholarship team under ANY curcumstances in the playoffs, regardless of record or opponents. USD could go four straight years at 11-0 and some would argue they don't belong. I suspect that if some could turn back time, they would have never added the Patriot to an auto bid, either.

USD's football budget is $900,000. Please don't equate scholarships as the only criterion to judge teams. It's easy to say when you're Northeast Central Midsouth State U. with $3,000 tuition. Because short of joining the Big Sky conference, USD has very few options other than the Pioneer--they have to play with what they've got.

Much like Boise State, who for years got no respect in the WAC, you've someday got to give credit where it is due, and USD is 11-0 next year they deserve a serious look, something which the committee is really not prepared to do.

USD deserves, if nothing else, recognition for a great season. Best of luck in 2007.

Hold your hourses there. A few things the committe and just about everyone will give a non schollie team a serious look at the playoffs. the only reason why USD is not in the playoffs is cause they dont play anyone worth a damn. *Yale is the only one.

When you play the bottom 25% CS its easy to look good. USD blew everyone out but played Davis and put up 27 points.( if there was more time they would have scored a touchdown and lost by 3, but thats another story). just to give you an idea. Cal Poly played Savannah St easily in the bottom 25% and put up crazy numbers final score was 55-0. Our QB had a good completion percentage and anyone who has followed Poly football this year knows that our QB cant through across a two footroom. SO if POLY plays those teams and blows them out. do the desreve to be in the top 25 no way.

DFW HOYA
November 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Hold your hourses there. A few things the committe and just about everyone will give a non schollie team a serious look at the playoffs. the only reason why USD is not in the playoffs is cause they dont play anyone worth a damn.

And that's the catch 22 of the process--how do you build a schedule if teams aren't willing to reciprocate? Outside of UCD and CP, would YOUR scholarship school give up a non-conference date to play USD next year?

nice guy
November 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM

I think that keeping this one close, USD proved that they were a top 25 team.

Davis is a top 25 team too. They went in to Bozeman and waxed MSU 45-0 and lost by only 4 to arguably the to I-AA squad in NDSU.

Great football in the Great West, and in SD too!

Bobcat in NC
November 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM
If getting beat by UC Davis by 10 on the road means a team didn't belong in the playoffs, what's Montana State doing in the playoffs after losing by 45 to UC Davis at home?

Ummmmm, getting ready for their quarterfinal game?

Chi Panther
November 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM

MSU also got a gift with a home game....its alot to ask a South Carolina team to travel to Montana and win this time of year.....

Congrats to MSU....and well stated....

89Hen
November 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM
a lot of other people that did not think they could hang before.
Whoa. That's not at all what the USD fans here would have had you think. :nono:

crunifan
November 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
USD is a good team. But they aren't playoff worthy and not top 25 worthy.

JackJD
November 25th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Too bad U San Diego didn't drift up to the midwest to play NDSU, SDSU and UNI, get beat up a little bit like everyone else, and then see how they looked at the end of the season.

NDSUFREAK
November 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
This makes USD look bad?:confused: We played a good game against a team that went 6-5 on a tough schedule one of those wins including MSU (45-0). I think USD earned the respect of UCD team and fans as well as a lot of other people that did not think they could hang before. This was a hard fought game on both sides and I think USD could a lot better than some of the loser in the first round today. We'd score more than 7 points thats for sure. Good game UCD and USD congrats on the win UCD.

hmmm.....sorry.........still not being respectful.xcoffeex

MiamiTorero
November 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Too bad U San Diego didn't drift up to the midwest to play NDSU, SDSU and UNI, get beat up a little bit like everyone else, and then see how they looked at the end of the season.

USD couldve blown out UC Davis today and we still wouldve had non supporters. Why? Because thats how people are... For those who realized USD is better than they thought thank you for your honesty for those who think USD is still not as good as they really are. Then so be it no matter what happens you won't admit how good USD is. Its stuff like above thats all that can be said now because they played a great game against UCD when you people like you chose them to get blown out. Davis won and was the better team and USD definitely made them work for it the whole game unlike many of you thought would happen. I for one never said USD was going to win or blowout Davis. I said dont look past USD because they are a top 25 team and are good and I think most Davis fans and players would agree. Had Davis looked past USD in this game the outcame may have been different.

MiamiTorero
November 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
hmmm.....sorry.........still not being respectful.xcoffeex

You live in North Dakota I wouldnt expect it. God doesnt even go to North Dakota.

3yards
November 25th, 2006, 09:53 PM
The UC Davis - USD game was very good. UCD is an excellent team. They played a very tough schedule in a tough conference. Beat Montana State 45-0 at MSU. Played North Dakota State very close. NDSU might be the best team in 1AA. San Diego is top 25 worthy, and UCD is top 10 worthy. Both are playoff caliber. UCD probably executed their best passing game of the year. They needed to do this to win today. Passes by Grant were perfect. San Diego is for real!

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Yes, I know. That's part of the point. Losing to UC Davis doesn't necessarily mean a team doesn't belong in the playoffs.

CopperCat
November 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM

HELLO!!!! We waxed Furman today. Read between the lines man.:read:

GOTOREROS
November 25th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Congrats to UC Davis. They are a VERY good team - and I really have nothing to say about the playoffs because at this point it doesn't matter. I am proud of our team and believe we represented ourselves well. Good luck to everyone still playing.

GOTOREROS
November 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Here is a link to the stats from the game in case anyone cared: http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/112506-usd-ucd.html

No_Skill
November 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
If USD fans truly believe they have a top shelf team. They should be screaming at their AD to schedule better opponents, not saying "see we played UCD close...give us respect".

All threads about USD relate directly to strength of schedule. If USD had played Cal Poly's schedule, most USD threads would not exsist.

No_Skill
November 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM
You live in North Dakota I wouldnt expect it. God doesnt even go to North Dakota.

What are you, like 12 years old?

GOTOREROS
November 25th, 2006, 10:52 PM
If USD fans truly believe they have a top shelf team. They should be screaming at their AD to schedule better opponents, not saying "see we played UCD close...give us respect".

All threads about USD relate directly to strength of schedule. If USD had played Cal Poly's schedule, most USD threads would not exsist.

How do you know peole aren't calling our AD? I find it laughable that we should come on this board to yell at our AD......

I think this USD team could beat UC Davis - we just didn't get it done today. They were the better team today and got it done - what should we be saying out this game? :rolleyes:

rvzlaw
November 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I had my doubts about USD, but they earned my respect today. They are easily a top-25 team. Definitely better than say, Central Arkansas, who is ranked. Josh Johnson adds 20 points on any team.

GOTOREROS
November 25th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I had my doubts about USD, but they earned my respect today. They are easily a top-25 team. Definitely better than say, Central Arkansas, who is ranked. Josh Johnson adds 20 points on any team.

Josh Johnson could play on any CS team - he is the real deal. I won't try to rank him, but I know most coaches would love to have the guy on their team....

gobucknell06
November 25th, 2006, 11:17 PM
USD deserved to be in the playoffs. I knew they were play-off material after thumping Yale. The USD offense is legit. Too bad the defense can't hold anybody.

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM
TOREROS CONTINUE TO RANK NATIONALLY IN TEAM STATISTICS: As a team the Toreros rank in the Top-10 in 15 different I-AA statistics, including 10 areas where they are either #1 or #2. USD ranks

I went ahead and compared were these numbers stack up against there game at Davis. GOOD or BAD

1st in total offense (517.80 yards per game);
Net Yards in the Davis Game 429 yards. Almost a 100 yards difference. I will call this a push

1st in scoring offense (46.0 ppg);

Against Davis the put up 27pts. a difference in 19 pts. I for one believe if there was time left on the clock they would have scored one more touchdown. but they still lost by 10.

1st in 3rd down efficiency (63.2%);
As a Team they went 19 - 41 ( a percentage of 41.4%); a difference in 21.8%.

1st in passing offense (299.6);
This is a positive. Cause even though the numbers above dont indicate it. they throw all over Davis. 344 yards a positive gain of 44.4. Take away the bomb thrown at the end of the game and its about even.

1st in passing efficiency (180.91 rating);
since i dont know how this is calculated. i cant answer that one.

1st in turnovers lost (7);
No turnovers for them. so another positive for USD. However there were several dropped ints.

1st in scoring defense (11.1 ppg);

This is prob. the big one of them all. USD came in only giving up 11.1 points per game. Well in this game they gave up more then 3 times as much. 37 pts. The crazies thing is. on a normal game no one misses what like 5 extra points. so it could have been much worst. but you cant what if the world away the points are wha they are.

Negative

1st in punt return yardage defense (0.25 ypg);
THis is a hard one. cause I believe this counts the punts that were fair caught. so i wont dive into this one. but they gave up an average of 27 yards

2nd in pass efficiency defense (88.15 rating);
Again this is there rating. I dont know how many yards they gave up on average during the season.

4th in tackles for loss allowed (3.70);
cant find info. sorry

7th in total defense (249.20 ypg);
Another hugh negative for USD. The gave up 524 yards. thats slightly over double the season average.

and 10th in passing defense (145.50).
Again another large negative for USD. Through the air they gave UCD 348 yards again more then double the season average.
Negative for USD

USD averages 218 yards rushing a game and gives up 103 to there opp.
against davis they had 113 and gave up 207. THATS A FLIP FLOP IF I HAVE EVER HEARD OF ONE.

crunifan
November 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM
USD couldve blown out UC Davis today and we still wouldve had non supporters. Why? Because thats how people are... For those who realized USD is better than they thought thank you for your honesty for those who think USD is still not as good as they really are. Then so be it no matter what happens you won't admit how good USD is. Its stuff like above thats all that can be said now because they played a great game against UCD when you people like you chose them to get blown out. Davis won and was the better team and USD definitely made them work for it the whole game unlike many of you thought would happen. I for one never said USD was going to win or blowout Davis. I said dont look past USD because they are a top 25 team and are good and I think most Davis fans and players would agree. Had Davis looked past USD in this game the outcame may have been different.

I feel for San Diego. Really I do. If you lost, no matter if it be by one point or 50, those haters were going to be on you. But the fact is, you lost to a 6-5 team. Which, this means, you are an AMAZING non scholarship team, I mean absolutely amazing. How you can compete so well without scholarships astonshes me. BUT, you are not good enough to play with the fully funded, top level I-AA teams. I think if you got those scholarships you could rather easily get up there and compete with the best of us.

I wish you guys the best of luck. You have a great team!

ereiz03
November 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM
UC Davis played a VERY GOOD game today. I sat next to a Davis fan and he said to me, "THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES THAT WE'VE PLAYED ALL SEASON." He told me that he's been at all but 2 Davis games this season and that USD is one of the best teams he'd seen all season. I'd say that's a great compliment. USD could have definitely won this game and it was much closer than a 10 point loss would indicate.

The stadium had a great environment....great fans as well. The Davis fans were very complimentary of USD....I hope that this is the beginning of many games between our schools! :hurray:

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I would say the reason some of these stats work against them is that they are playing at least someone worth a squat. but you have to remember that Davis is only 6-5 and finished 4th out of 5 in conference. the record doesnt do Davis justice they are a good team.

I feel that the reason that USD stats are so outragous is the teams they are playing and the numbers dont lie

ereiz03
November 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks Crunifan- hopefully we step it up next year and play a few more games against Davis caliber opponents.....seeming that USD will be EVEN BETTER next year....I think that there will be even more believers!

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2006, 11:31 PM
UC Davis played a VERY GOOD game today. I sat next to a Davis fan and he said to me, "THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES THAT WE'VE PLAYED ALL SEASON." He told me that he's been at all but 2 Davis games this season and that USD is one of the best teams he'd seen all season. I'd say that's a great compliment. USD could have definitely won this game and it was much closer than a 10 point loss would indicate.

The stadium had a great environment....great fans as well. The Davis fans were very complimentary of USD....I hope that this is the beginning of many games between our schools! :hurray:

AGREED!!! USD is a good team. how they blowout teams that have all the same advantages when it comes to non schollie. IS simply amazing, it says that you guys are FAR and ABOVE bette then all of them. I amagine that you blow out Mommouth as well but lets wait and see.

putter
November 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Congrats USD. You did gain some respect today with how you played. My hats off to you and hope to continue to gain support for the CS in the San Diego area.

AggiePride
November 25th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Good game USD. You guys played well, I was impressed and not surprised, but luckily we were able to keep up with you in the offensive battle.

JJ is for real.

In the end I think the better balanced and deeper team won. But possibly not the most talented in areas...

I really hope we keep playing eachother. Good luck in the GIC.

SochorField
November 26th, 2006, 12:41 AM
UC Davis played a VERY GOOD game today. I sat next to a Davis fan and he said to me, "THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES THAT WE'VE PLAYED ALL SEASON." He told me that he's been at all but 2 Davis games this season and that USD is one of the best teams he'd seen all season. I'd say that's a great compliment.

One of the best games we played all season? From where I was sitting (havent missed a home game...season ticket holder) the Aggies came out FLAT in the first half. Credit USD, they came out swinging.

Can't complain, because we won. Did what we had to do. I havent looked at the stats yet, but Grant threw the ball all over the place and Nolan ran well. Props to USD for hanging in for so long. I don't think we ever got to play the second team defense...

Did anyone else notice how bad the officiating was on BOTH sides? Man, so many bad calls...Kays was held ALL game and USD had one taken away down by the goal line.

Hopefully these teams will play again.

ereiz03
November 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Just repeating what was said by Davis fans around me. The one guy in particular said that he'd been to all the games except TCU and Youngstown (?). Davis fans were really nice people and very complimentary....nice little town you guys have up there.

bigd
November 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM
San Diego should just add scholarships and move to the great west.

MiamiTorero
November 26th, 2006, 01:47 AM
What are you, like 12 years old?

Actually I turn 23 tommorow(Nov 26) but you're close.

November 26th, 2006, 02:42 AM
nothing to say but good game... but to those that continue to say USD proved they were a top 25 team: http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343 ... USD lost to a team not in the top 25. Beat Monmouth and USD may get back in the top 25 at seasons end.

slostang
November 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I disagree. It doesn't show that the committee made the right choice. A total blowout would have shown that.

UCD could have beaten many of this years playoff teams at home, no doubt.
First off great game and season by USD. Your team impressed me yesterday, but the question is not if USD was talented enough to go to the playoffs (which in my mind they are a bubble team talent wise), the question is were they deserving with such a weak schedule. It would not be fair to a team like PSU that had four losses to teams like Cal, Oregon, I-AA #2 Montana and playoff participant Montana State and stayed home. I think a team like PSU would crush USD.

Even if USD beat UC Davis I do not think they would have deserved to go to the playoffs. A good team can get up and win one game a season, but can they do it week in and week out. UC Davis is a good team that played a brutal schedule and only finished 6-5. UC Davis beat playoff bound and first round winner MSU 45-0, but lost to four other I-AA (CS) teams during the season. USD needs to prove that they are deserving over many difficult games during the regular season.

With that said, Cal Poly is looking for games next season. Show that you are serious about playing a tougher schedule and take the game with Poly next season.

slostang
November 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I feel for San Diego. Really I do. If you lost, no matter if it be by one point or 50, those haters were going to be on you. But the fact is, you lost to a 6-5 team. Which, this means, you are an AMAZING non scholarship team, I mean absolutely amazing. How you can compete so well without scholarships astonshes me. BUT, you are not good enough to play with the fully funded, top level I-AA teams. I think if you got those scholarships you could rather easily get up there and compete with the best of us.

I wish you guys the best of luck. You have a great team!
Great post that says what I think of USD. I would love to see USD add scholarships and join the GWFC.

BisBison
November 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Actually I turn 23 tommorow(Nov 26) but you're close.

No_Skill obviously some people just take longer to grow up. What an asinine comment. (Miami that means "extremely stupid or foolish)xidiotx

No_Skill
November 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM
By the way...to answer the title of this post "will the talk end". Apparently the answer is no. It seems that people don't want to stop talking about USD, and I'm not just talking about USD fans. I'd say most of the posters in this thread are non-USD fans.

USD joining the GWFC is an interesting thought. Is this a legitimate possibility or just fantasy?

GOTOREROS
November 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM
nothing to say but good game... but to those that continue to say USD proved they were a top 25 team: http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343 ... USD lost to a team not in the top 25. Beat Monmouth and USD may get back in the top 25 at seasons end.

Well does a team that got beat 45-0 by a team outside the top 25 deserve to host a playoff game? Just wondering............:confused:

I am not making a comment about USD rather a response to your take on UC Davis...

November 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Well does a team that got beat...You obviously ignored the link I gave because Montana State is a top 25 team.

AggiePride
November 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
My take is we are not a PO worthy team even if you ignore the tough schedule and results. We have a team that can play with anyone and is dangerous, but... I think we are only top 25, just barely. This Aggie team did not put teams away this year and just made to many mistakes, stuff good playoff teams do not do.

Since USD lost to us, I think the committe made the right choice.

But I hate saying that, because regardless of this game I feel they made the right choice in regards to selection criteria, win or lose. We only helped hush some people up.

The fact is USD was undefeated and sitting pretty on a pile of stats. They come to Davis, they lose. I would say that in the least USD had a wake-up call regarding I-AA. They could of easily had their perfect season without us on the schedule.

GOTOREROS
November 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM
You obviously ignored the link I gave because Montana State is a top 25 team.

You obviously missed my point. Does a team that lost 45-0 to an unranked team at home deserve to host a playoff game? I am talking about MSU deserving to host a playoff game......after getting hammered by Davis who as you pointed out is unranked. :read:

I'm not saying UCD is a playoff team - this is about someone else (MSU) who faced UCD this year and their status....

ucdavisaggie05
November 26th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I appreciate the complements that everyone is giving the Ags, but, quite frankly (great, I'm turning into Screamin' A. Smith), they were not a playoff caliber team this season. A playoff caliber team doesn't play like the football is a hot potato at YSU. A playoff caliber team doesn't drop a 20 yard pass from deep in Cal Poly territory, leading to a safety that completely shifted the momentum. A playoff caliber team doesn't allow SDSU or NDSU to come back in the second half - they put the nail in the coffin.

Sure, the Ags lost to quality teams and rolled Montana State...but they were 3 solid second half performances away from being 9-2 and making a statement as they completed the final year of the four year transition. With that said, I can't wait until next year in the new stadium!

OrneryAggie
November 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Agree. UCA had some great athletes and will be a solid team after their transition but USD definitely gave UCD a better game

I think this USD team could beat UC Davis - we just didn't get it done today. They were the better team today and got it done - what should we be saying out this game? :rolleyes:

USD could beat UCD on anygivensaturday, but they'd be lucky to take 2 of 10 meetings.

UCD's VERY GOOD game was due mostly to the quality of the opponent. USD had some good athletes but didn't have the depth to contain UCD's talented offense.

It's true the margin of victory was 10 points but UCD missed 4 conversions after TD's and USD returned one of those for 2 pts. If UCD converts those the margin of victory is greater than UCD's game vs Sac St.

I was very impressed with USD's travelling contingent. They represented the toreros well.

One of the best games we played all season? From where I was sitting (havent missed a home game...season ticket holder) the Aggies came out FLAT in the first half. Credit USD, they came out swinging.

Aggies came out FLAT because the gameplan was to pound the ball early and wear USD down. USD came out fired up but it's hard to keep that intensity over a whole game, especially as a non-schollie team. UCD had the same problem as a non-schollie in DII, great talent on the starting lineup but not enough depth to keep full schollie schools at bay the whole game.

Props to USD for hanging in for so long. I don't think we ever got to play the second team defense....

Actually second stringers were cycling in and out all game. This kept the starters fresh and helped tire out USD. Josh Johnson helped wear out his offense also with all that scrambling he did, everyone else on offense had to run around, too.

Overall a great game by both teams. USD put up a hell of an effort and, with the right matchup, could've pulled off an upset had they been allowed into the playoffs. Were the Toreros to go scholarship there's no doubt they could be top 25 every year.

If USD upgrades the schedule maybe we'll see UCD-USD again next thanksgiving weekend in the playoffs.

November 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
You obviously missed my point...You don't have a point. You have a tangential deflection.

ucdtim17
November 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I appreciate the complements that everyone is giving the Ags, but, quite frankly (great, I'm turning into Screamin' A. Smith), they were not a playoff caliber team this season. A playoff caliber team doesn't play like the football is a hot potato at YSU. A playoff caliber team doesn't drop a 20 yard pass from deep in Cal Poly territory, leading to a safety that completely shifted the momentum. A playoff caliber team doesn't allow SDSU or NDSU to come back in the second half - they put the nail in the coffin.

You wouldn't think a playoff team would lose to a D2 team and then get blown out 45-0 at home either, but somehow they end up hosting in the first round :confused:

There aren't many great teams now. Call it parity or mediocrity, but the bar isn't that high for a playoff bid

GoAgs72
November 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I was impressed by USD. I was at the game and it was undecided until the fourth quarter when the Aggies seem to wear out the Toreros. But the Aggies were obviously the better team and, if eligible, we would not have made the playoffs this year at 6-5. The refs were poor - or should I say some of the refs. I liked the one ref who over-ruled the other ref in front of section A. Finally some sanity. WR Tony Kays was obviously upset by the refs bad calls or lack of calls and he still got 10 receptions for 151 yards. I wonder if one or more of these refs also mishandled the bad calls at the North Dakota State game?

GOTOREROS
November 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM
You don't have a point. You have a tangential deflection.

Tangential deflection? I think you are confused Ralph.......

November 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Tangential deflection? I think you are confused Ralph.......Well you are the one that seems confused. Instead of addressing my point you go off on a tangent... "what if another team..." to deflect away from addressing my point. Get it now? :cool:

JBB
November 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ive never heard of a scholarship minimum in the GWFC. Why cant they join now? If they find they need a few scholarship players in the future they can always get them.

USD is a good team. I listened to the game. With stats like that you have to be good.

Similar to Cal Poly a couple of yrs ago. Good team, on the playoff bubble, didnt make it. Next season still good and made it.

If your in a similar situation next year I bet your in.

ngineer
November 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
No argument here. You guys play a very challenging schedule and aren't afraid to step up and play I-A schools. Back east, the NEC is now doing this. USD has to do it as well.

Excellent point. Albany, Central Connecticut,et al have 'stepped up' their schedules and have acquitted themselves well. If you want to be a bullfighter, you got to fight some bulls...:smiley_wi

GOTOREROS
November 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well you are the one that seems confused. Instead of addressing my point you go off on a tangent... "what if another team..." to deflect away from addressing my point. Get it now? :cool:

It seems you want a one-sided debate, and want to frame the debate to fit your view point. You may not like the answer but such is life.....again, think you are confusing things here Ralph....:nod:

Again, not sure how it is off tangent to point out that the team that beat USD also beat MSU by 45 - pretty simple actually. You dismiss something that others have brought up as well not just me.....

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make it a different tangent....you should be more open minded....

It's pretty simple to say that if UCD beat USD and they are not a top 25 team, but how can people argue that MSU deserved to host a playoff game if they got beat by the same team by 45 at home.......still no one answers the question. You call it tangental, I call it making you look at it from a different persepctive.

By your logic and others, one loss shouldn't prohibit you from being a top 25 team or hosting a playoff game...

I thought I was stubborn Ralph.......jeez....:)

SLO_LIFE
November 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
One game just isn't enough to judge whether or not the Toreros are "who we thought they were," good or bad. We need to see them play a schedule in which UCD would be a typical opponent, not the Goliath.

GOTOREROS
November 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM
One game just isn't enough to judge whether or not the Toreros are "who we thought they were," good or bad. We need to see them play a schedule in which UCD would be a typical opponent, not the Goliath.

I totally agree. USD did not prove itself as a playoff caliber team this year due to its poor schdule. I do think USD is a 20-25 ranked team though....

Stang Fever
November 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM
It seems you want a one-sided debate, and want to frame the debate to fit your view point. You may not like the answer but such is life.....again, think you are confusing things here Ralph....:nod:

Again, not sure how it is off tangent to point out that the team that beat USD also beat MSU by 45 - pretty simple actually. You dismiss something that others have brought up as well not just me.....

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make it a different tangent....you should be more open minded....

It's pretty simple to say that if UCD beat USD and they are not a top 25 team, but how can people argue that MSU deserved to host a playoff game if they got beat by the same team by 45 at home.......still no one answers the question. You call it tangental, I call it making you look at it from a different persepctive.

By your logic and others, one loss shouldn't prohibit you from being a top 25 team or hosting a playoff game...

I thought I was stubborn Ralph.......jeez....:)

I will answer your question for you. Anyteam in the playoffs can host a game. from the #1 seed to the last team selected. the reason MSU got to host a game was because they made the larger bid. it takes a bid of about 30-40k to be able to host the playoff game. its obvious that Furmans bid was not higher then MSU's. so no they dont deserve to host one. but they paid for it.

also part of your argument doesnt add up. Just cause team A beat team B by 45 points doesnt mean that since team C lost to team A by ten pts, that they can beat Team B.

Team A = Davis
Team B= Montana St
Team C= USD

November 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
... you should be more open minded...That's it, end of discussion. If you want to feel USD is a top 25 team after losing to a non-top 25 team then have fun. xcoffeex

YoUDeeMan
November 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I totally agree. USD did not prove itself as a playoff caliber team this year due to its poor schdule. I do think USD is a 20-25 ranked team though....

Interesting posts by some folks. USD fans ranted all year about how they should be ranked in the top 25 - heck, the top 10. Some even lobbied that USD deserved to be in the playofs.

Then, they lose to a team that isn't in the top 25. However, the hype continues as some fans are now claiming that they gave a good game to (but lost) a team that should also be in the top 25. xlolx xlolx xlolx

It gets even better! Some fans think that since USD lost (yes, LOST) a game to a team that is not, but in USD fans minds "should be", in the top 25, then USD is a top 25 team! xidiotx

No_Skill
November 26th, 2006, 08:39 PM
NDSU beat Ball St. who almost beat Michigan.

NDSU should be playing in the Rose Bowl. :thumbsup:

rvzlaw
November 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM
That's it, end of discussion. If you want to feel USD is a top 25 team after losing to a non-top 25 team then have fun. xcoffeex

Maybe UC Davis and San Diego should be rated in the top-25. Get Yale, Monmouth?! and Central Arkansas, all of whom beat nobody, out of there.

aggie6thman
November 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe UC Davis and San Diego should be rated in the top-25. Get Yale, Monmouth?! and Central Arkansas, all of whom beat nobody, out of there.

And just to keep this type of discussion going, we should be ahead of Central Arkansas because we beat them and Yale lost to San Diego who we beat. This could go on for years...xcoffeex

Bobcat in NC
November 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
You obviously missed my point. Does a team that lost 45-0 to an unranked team at home deserve to host a playoff game? I am talking about MSU deserving to host a playoff game......after getting hammered by Davis who as you pointed out is unranked. :read:

I'm not saying UCD is a playoff team - this is about someone else (MSU) who faced UCD this year and their status....

Again, quit with the MSU-bashing. As I've said before, living in SD for 8 years made me a fan of all USD athletics. However, the constant whining is really trying my patience. The simple fact is MSU got into the playoffs and is still in the playoffs. As pointed out many times, fair or not, there's no "deserve" about it when it comes to hosting (other than the top 4 seeds). MSU got in, made the bid, and got the game. They then backed that up by winning big. Get over it. The Cats are still playing for something and the Torreros are getting ready for the vaunted Griddle Classic. My hope is that USD decides to schedule someone next year (preferably prior to November 25) and proves their worth against something other than a good high school team. Go 11-0 with a SOS higher than triple-digits and then we'll talk...

The fact that this topic is still alive really makes me wish that USD would have gotten in and taken a beating in the first round. Cancel that. If that had happened, then the MSU team that didn't deserve to get it wouldn't be getting ready for a quarterfinal game in Boone.

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Monmouth beat teams from three Auto-Bid conferences and took down two teams ranked, at one point in the season, in the Top 25.

They have played and beat more than anyone and league USD has sniffed in the last three seasons combined.

RV you should do some research.

Additionally, there is only one TANGIBLE point here: USD, while a very good mid-major...and probably Top 25-30 CS team, LOST...YES LOST...it's only true test other than Yale. So, if, for argument sake, USD played 5 Yales, and 5 UCD's, you can MORE THAN LIKELY reason they would go 6-4 at best (based on the performances)...NOT PLAYOFF CALIBER MATERIAL!

Now if they went 7-3 playing mostly UCD type schools and a couple of Yale types...you would have a different argument.

Fact is, USD played two schools worthy of a CS schedule and it destroyed one mid-pack school...and for the most part, got out played by another.

NOT CS PLAYOFF READY!

BisonBacker
November 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I think it shows the committee absolutely made the right choice. Make USD play a complete schedule against IAA rather then the cupcakes they had. If after they do that and have 7,8 or more wins then they can gripe. Playing and losing one game by 10 to a good team doesn't prove jack squat.

midwestgold
November 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I have read all of these opinions about USD and about the PFL all season.Some were very astute,others not at all.What I don't understand is the venom involved in some of the criticisms.Another thing I don't get is how the Patriot league gets a pass(auto-bid) This is what I would consider a joke.The Patriot,PFL,IVY,Nec are all cut from the same cloth,yet I see and read about how weak the PFL is.They certainly are as good as any of these other conferences.

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Well, Midwest...it is simple: THEY ARE NOT CUT FROM THE SAME CLOTH. The IVY, The Patriot, and the NEC, all play more demanding schedules. It is only then, when a bid is up in the air, that they "whine" over the at-large process.

THE PFL, on the other hand, has played a weak schedule (all of its teams) yet had the oppty to upgrade. Then they beg for inclusion.

There has never been venom against USD, however there is a sense of "are you kidding?", when they claim they SHOULD have a spot in the playoffs.

For the most part, I think they are a very good team...that got screwed by two VERY SHORT SIGHTED PEOPLE: HARBAUGH and the AD.

It is their fault and their fault alone that USD wasnt playing in the playoffs.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I have read all of these opinions about USD and about the PFL all season.Some were very astute,others not at all.What I don't understand is the venom involved in some of the criticisms.Another thing I don't get is how the Patriot league gets a pass(auto-bid) This is what I would consider a joke.The Patriot,PFL,IVY,Nec are all cut from the same cloth,yet I see and read about how weak the PFL is.They certainly are as good as any of these other conferences.

No, No, and No... you could not have it more wrong.

The Patriot and Ivy are cut from similar clothes. Both are non-scholarship with an emphasis on academics and need-based aid. NEC is a limited scholarship league that is going to be a very strong conference in the next five years. They are already. And the PFL is just non-scholarship and is up against D2 teams. Out of all the IAA conferences, the PFL and MAAC are the only ones not have made any noise... ever... well San Diego, but what have they achieved aside from a monstorous win streak over weak teams?

Frankly, you don't seem very well informed on the topic. I take it you are new, or have a very short memory. The Patriot auto-bid is well deserved. The league had a down year, like the Southland. Now would you advocated the Southland's bid getting cut? NO!

Patriot teams have historically preformed well and are at the top of I-AA. Colgate made the national title game with an auto in 2003! Lafayette and Lehigh were both selected in 2004... Lehigh lost to JMU by one... and of course JMU won the title that year and could say that game was their closest.

Oh yeah, not to mention Fordham beating Northeastern in round one in 2002 with an auto.... Lehigh in 2001 over Hofstra before losing to Furman... and Lehigh dominated Western Illinois at their place in 2000 or so. And the Pards, well we all know about them on here... scared the pants of Appy in their house... and had Delaware to the wire too in 2004.

So please, don't go around making general statements that just are not true based off of one season. Look at the bigger picture.

As for the Ivy, they can play and should be in the playoffs, but choose not to. They recruit nationally and send players to the NFL.

The PFL is NOWHERE near the Ivy, NEC, Patriot.

BlueHen86
November 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
No, No, and No... you could not have it more wrong.

The Patriot and Ivy are cut from similar clothes. Both are non-scholarship with an emphasis on academics and need-based aid. NEC is a limited scholarship league that is going to be a very strong conference in the next five years. They are already. And the PFL is just non-scholarship and is up against D2 teams. Out of all the IAA conferences, the PFL and MAAC are the only ones not have made any noise... ever... well San Diego, but what have they achieved aside from a monstorous win streak over weak teams?

Frankly, you don't seem very well informed on the topic. I take it you are new, or have a very short memory. The Patriot auto-bid is well deserved. The league had a down year, like the Southland. Now would you advocated the Southland's bid getting cut? NO!

Patriot teams have historically preformed well and are at the top of I-AA. Colgate made the national title game with an auto in 2003! Lafayette and Lehigh were both selected in 2004... Lehigh lost to JMU by one... and of course JMU won the title that year and could say that game was their closest.

Oh yeah, not to mention Fordham beating Northeastern in round one in 2002 with an auto.... Lehigh in 2001 over Hofstra before losing to Furman... and Lehigh dominated Western Illinois at their place in 2000 or so. And the Pards, well we all know about them on here... scared the pants of Appy in their house... and had Delaware to the wire too in 2004.

So please, don't go around making general statements that just are not true based off of one season. Look at the bigger picture.

As for the Ivy, they can play and should be in the playoffs, but choose not to. They recruit nationally and send players to the NFL.

The PFL is NOWHERE near the Ivy, NEC, Patriot.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Agree 100%.

DetroitFlyer
November 27th, 2006, 12:06 PM
The top of the PFL, year in and year out, is very competitive with the NEC, Ivy and PL. Granted we have Butler and Valpo, and to a lesser degree Jacksonville, but as I said, the top of the conference would be very competitive. I would go as far as to say that USD would have won the Ivy or PL championship if they played in those leagues this season. The last time Yale and Dayton played, Yale won by 7. USD has beaten Yale two years in a row and lost to Princeton by 3 last year. Dayton beat Robert Morris this season. Year in and year out, I would say that USD, Drake, Dayton, and maybe Morehead State and Davidson, could hang with the teams of the NEC, Ivy or PL. Dayton has Robert Morris and Fordham on the schedule next year, so we'll see.... Frankly, the autobid system stinks to high heaven. A 6-5 Lafayette garnering a playoff spot is absolutely silly.... As I have stated many times before, the CS playoff system is broken and needs work to be a great as many proclaim it to be currently....

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Dflyer...your statements sum it up in a nutshell: "year in and year out, I would say that USD, Drake....could hang with the teams of the NEC, Ivy...

Newsflash: ALL SPECULATION BECAUSE THE PFL, on a consistant basis, plays no one. Yes, playing the NEC a few times is great, but that is NOT PLAYING UP like playing the A-TEN, et al. Sure, the league has two or maybe three IVY games...but come on now.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The top of the PFL, year in and year out, is very competitive with the NEC, Ivy and PL. Granted we have Butler and Valpo, and to a lesser degree Jacksonville, but as I said, the top of the conference would be very competitive. I would go as far as to say that USD would have won the Ivy or PL championship if they played in those leagues this season. The last time Yale and Dayton played, Yale won by 7. USD has beaten Yale two years in a row and lost to Princeton by 3 last year. Dayton beat Robert Morris this season. Year in and year out, I would say that USD, Drake, Dayton, and maybe Morehead State and Davidson, could hang with the teams of the NEC, Ivy or PL. Dayton has Robert Morris and Fordham on the schedule next year, so we'll see.... Frankly, the autobid system stinks to high heaven. A 6-5 Lafayette garnering a playoff spot is absolutely silly.... As I have stated many times before, the CS playoff system is broken and needs work to be a great as many proclaim it to be currently....

Um, no... PFL has not played a Patriot team recently.. maybe G'town-Davidson but that hardly counts. The Hoyas have been a punching bag for the rest of the PL (sorry Hoyas), and I think they even beat Davidson.

The top of the PFL competitve? I can only think of one team... San Diego. Yale playing Dayton? When was this? 1980s?

Frankly, I think the PFL teams hanging with the top of the Ivy, PL, and NEC is a joke. San Diego is the only team that is a maybe. I think a good Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross team could blow San Diego and other PFL teams out of the water. Harvard vs. Dayton or Butler?? Please, don't waste our time...

And yeah, we did make the field at 6-5. That's how it is... and before we get on the topic, the PL-auto is not going anywhere and should not.

HensRock
November 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM
"...will the talk end?"

Apparently not.

ereiz03
November 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
^^^

Notice that it wasn't a USD poster who started this thread.

MarkCCU
November 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
USD had a nice run, go join CSU in crapsville...CCU will buy you a drink, but only one drink

ToreroTime
November 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Um, no... PFL has not played a Patriot team recently.. maybe G'town-Davidson but that hardly counts. The Hoyas have been a punching bag for the rest of the PL (sorry Hoyas), and I think they even beat Davidson.

The top of the PFL competitve? I can only think of one team... San Diego. Yale playing Dayton? When was this? 1980s?

Frankly, I think the PFL teams hanging with the top of the Ivy, PL, and NEC is a joke. San Diego is the only team that is a maybe. I think a good Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross team could blow San Diego and other PFL teams out of the water. Harvard vs. Dayton or Butler?? Please, don't waste our time...

And yeah, we did make the field at 6-5. That's how it is... and before we get on the topic, the PL-auto is not going anywhere and should not.

Your kidding right? xidiotx

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Seeing Lehigh, 'Gate, Lafayette, and Holy Cross this year, I have to agree with Torero Time: NO WAY THOSE TEAMS BLOW OUT USD. USD may not win...but no way they get blown out. IMHO, they split those.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Agree with the little guys (tee hee, just kidding) here as well - the Patriot League was maybe at an all-time low this year in terms of quality - no way do they blow out USD - I'm not sure if all of them (the top 3) even win for that matter.

GoAgs72
November 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Having seen USD in action last weekend at Davis, I doubt that very many non-scholarship teams would be very competitive with them. They are a very good team. They got more total offensive yards than Montana State, NDSU, SDSU, Cal Poly or Youngstown State did against the Aggies. They scored more than SDSU or Cal Poly and only one point short of NDSU's score against us. This was in a game that the Aggies were motivated to win - winning season and last game at Toomey Field. Sure, the Torero defense was not up to these other teams but they could be competing for the Ivy League championship.

BisonBacker
November 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Until they step up to a full season of better competition nobody is going to give a rip if they win one or two games against "good teams" as opposed to filling the rest of the schedule with cupcakes. That is all people are trying to say here. Play a quality schedule and win, then they will earn repsect. Until then well as you can read for yourself nobody cares.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
The top of the PFL, year in and year out, is very competitive with the NEC, Ivy and PL.
Uhhh yeah. San Diego has two wins over Yale and now the top of the PFL is competitive with the Ivy and PL? Has a PFL team even played a PL team other than Davidson/Georgetown? Every time you post you just dig a deeper hole.

ToreroTime
November 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Uhhh yeah. San Diego has two wins over Yale and now the top of the PFL is competitive with the Ivy and PL? Has a PFL team even played a PL team other than Davidson/Georgetown? Every time you post you just dig a deeper hole.

Ummm San Diego beat Holy Cross the last two times they played them in 2003 and 2004.

USDFAN_55
November 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM

You should do a little research before you post smack talk. Like stated before.... USD has won the last two games against Holy Cross.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ummm San Diego beat Holy Cross the last two times they played them in 2003 and 2004.
You mean 4-19 Holy Cross who was 2-11 in the PL with their only wins being Georgetown? :rolleyes:

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
You should do a little research before you post smack talk. Like stated before.... USD has won the last two games against Holy Cross.
Another couple powerhouse wins for the Toreros!

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Your kidding right? xidiotx

Note... please read.. I said GOOD... we were not exactly 'good' this year.

Pard4Life
November 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Yeah, and Holy Cross was bad those two seaons... keep digging..

USDFAN_55
November 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Has a PFL team even played a PL team other than Davidson/Georgetown? Every time you post you just dig a deeper hole.
Just answering your simple question..... don't see how this is digging a deep hole.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Just answering your simple question..... don't see how this is digging a deep hole.
Did I say you were digging a deep hole? :confused: : smh :

The claim was that the PFL is competitive with the PL and Ivy. USD seems to be the only one with wins over either conference and the HC wins were over a team that was at the bottom of the PL. So I guess you could say that USD is competitive with the middle of the Ivy and the bottom of the PL.

USDFAN_55
November 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Did I say you were digging a deep hole? :confused: : smh :

The claim was that the PFL is competitive with the PL and Ivy. USD seems to be the only one with wins over either conference and the HC wins were over a team that was at the bottom of the PL. So I guess you could say that USD is competitive with the middle of the Ivy and the bottom of the PL.
So I guess this year Yale was just a middle of the pack Ivy League team? That is the same Ivy team that beat the 2nd place PL team this year? This year I think USD would be competitive with any Ivy or PL team.... maybe even go as far as to say they would win a majority of those games.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
So I guess this year Yale was just a middle of the pack Ivy League team? That is the same Ivy team that beat the 2nd place PL team this year? This year I think USD would be competitive with any Ivy or PL team.... maybe even go as far as to say they would win a majority of those games.
So USD is now the whole PFL? As for the PL this year... there's not a person here that wouldn't say this is the worst PL in recent history. The conference as a whole was way down... way down.

3yards
November 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
PFL might have been down somewhat this year. It was just the fact that USD was that much better. Dayton was definitely down, Drake was very strong, as strong as ever. Davidson and Jacksonville were both good. Morehead shot themselves in the foot.
Arguably Yale was the best Ivy, and they beat two good PL teams.
NCAA would probably like to remove the automatic qualifier for the PL from the playoffs but can not politically.

Model Citizen
November 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
PFL might have been down somewhat this year. It was just the fact that USD was that much better. Dayton was definitely down, Drake was very strong, as strong as ever. Davidson and Jacksonville were both good. Morehead shot themselves in the foot.
Arguably Yale was the best Ivy, and they beat two good PL teams.
NCAA would probably like to remove the automatic qualifier for the PL from the playoffs but can not politically.

I agree the PFL was down this year. Dayton's new defense was a failure. Injuries forced Drake to go through three quarterbacks, and they had a new starter for the USD game who hadn't gripped a football in six months. The Toreros still had the best team in league history.

As long as the PFL is non-scholarship, they'll be an entry level league. I don't see anything wrong with that. The PFL's best is still better than some of what I've seen in the playoffs. The overall quality will come up, but won't match leagues where schools have $3 million annual football budgets.

Dane96
November 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
You guys...are seriously deranged.

PLAY SOMEONE....ANYONE....and yes...this is a shout out to the entire PFL!!!

AggiePride
November 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Everyone needs to take a step back from "what if" land. This is getting stupid....