PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom 10

BisonTru
August 5th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Who’s the worst teams coming into this year?

Here’s my Bottom 10.

A couple things, first, I could probably come up with a list of this sorts using mainly Pioneer, MEAC, and SWAC teams. But that’s not a lot of fun, so only one representative from any conference.

Second, Kennesaw St and ETSU haven’t done anything to prove they belong on this list, so they’re off for now.

10. Central Connecticut State (LY 3-8)
Surprisingly they are one of two teams on this list that beat Towson, but none the less they made the cut.

9. Georgetown (LY 3-8)
Most likely a staple on this list until they decide to start offering schollies.

8. Rhode Island (LY 1-11)
The second team on the list to beat Towson. Starting to think Towson may belong as well, but for now that Delaware win keeps them off.

7. VMI (LY 2-10)
Well, they did beat Furman. But then again Furman sucks.

6. Austin Peay (LY 1-11)
Austin Peay-ed the bed last season and this year doesn’t look whole lot better.

5. Mississippi ValleyState (LY 2-9)
Well, Clenz’s Delta Devils made the list at 5. They did beat a college of Faith, not even going to look up what division they play in.

4. Nichols St. (LY 0-12)
O-fer for the Colonels including a loss to DII Henderson St. who had the game in hand with a three score lead before giving NSU their first score late in the third.

3. Columbia (LY 0-10)
Considering I may need a lawyer from this institution at some point in my life, I’ll leave it at, they’re smart.

2. Savannah St.(LY 0-12)
Another O-fer including a loss to DII Fort Valley St. in which they were outgained 2-1. But apparently someone in the conference preseason poll gave them a #1 nod. Homer maybe?!

1. Davidson (LY 1-11)
Well, they also beat a college of Faith, not looking up that one either, but then got beat down by DII Catawba in game that was 28-0 byhalftime.

On the waiting list: Gardner-Webb, Spack’s player conduct policy, Northern Colorado, Vernon Adam’s math scores, South Dakota

Catatonic
August 6th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Houston Baptist thanks you for overlooking them.

superman7515
August 6th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Not enough Lehigh.

Go Green
August 6th, 2015, 05:15 AM
I'm betting that Columbia finishes higher than Cornell this season. But when you're running a 21-game losing streak, you got to be put on these lists.

Nickels
August 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM
The bottom 10 is incomplete without HBU.

Just watch the first couple of minutes of SHSU's game with them last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-03z6sL_EKE

Edit- I see that you went with only one team per conference but I think HBU has to make the list somehow. I would even put them instead of Nicholls even though they beat Nicholls last year.

GAD
August 6th, 2015, 06:02 AM
The bottom 10 is incomplete without HBU.

Just watch the first couple of minutes of SHSU's game with them last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-03z6sL_EKE

Edit- I see that you went with only one team per conference but I think HBU has to make the list somehow. I would even put them instead of Nicholls even though they beat Nicholls last year.
WOW The person working the drive-thru at that CVS can get paid to watch the game:D

Mattymc727
August 6th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Poor Rhody....It still baffles me that a state school with a good basketball team can be that bad at football. Its not like other New England football teams in the same conference struggle either...

Mattymc727
August 6th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Also, Id like to nominate Elon. However its really hard to tell who sucks more between conferences. Id assume URI and Elon can beat Pinoeer, SWAC, or some MEAC teams in a stink bowl. Who knows.

Catsfan90
August 6th, 2015, 06:45 AM
It's crazy to me how far Towson fell. They went from being national title contenders to losing to NEC teams.

superman7515
August 6th, 2015, 07:05 AM
It's crazy to me how far Towson fell. They went from being national title contenders to losing to NEC teams.

They simply regressed to the mean. They had one good run when they put together a great offense, mainly based around a single (albeit fantastic) player. It's the lone bright spot in their history, not a surprising fall from established heights.

clenz
August 6th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I love the fact that MVSU is now officially my team.

They'll shock some people this year. Maybe not in a good way, but shock none the less

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

UIWWildthing
August 6th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Not surprised to be honest. T-West was a once in a generation player for Towson and now they are back to what they used to be. They had years where they were good (7-4, 8-3) but never GREAT. Maybe the program can build itself up to become a contender in the CAA, but they haven't shown that as of yet.

eiu1999
August 6th, 2015, 09:26 AM
1. Incarnate Word

2. Davidson

3. Savannah St.

4. Houston Baptist

5. Austin Peay

6. MVS

7. Georgetown

8. Columbia

9. Nichols St

10. N. Colorado

BisonTru
August 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM
1. Incarnate Word

2. Davidson

3. Savannah St.

4. Houston Baptist

5. Austin Peay

6. MVS

7. Georgetown

8. Columbia

9. Nichols St

10. N. Colorado

Why so hard on the Cardinals? Hell, I'd pick them to win the pioneer if they played in that conference.

blackbeard
August 6th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Have to disagree with you on CCSU, I think they are going to be improved and will make some noise in the NEC in the next few years. I think Robert Morris should be your NEC rep on this list.

eiu1999
August 6th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Why so hard on the Cardinals? Hell, I'd pick them to win the pioneer if they played in that conference.

Just a feeling. Call it a hunch.

BisonTru
August 6th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Have to disagree with you on CCSU, I think they are going to be improved and will make some noise in the NEC in the next few years. I think Robert Morris should be your NEC rep on this list.

Yeah I was close on CCSU and RM. If KSU or any team from the 2 BSC conferences does anything to prove they belong on this list the NEC probably doesn't have a member on the list.

DFW HOYA
August 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM
7. Georgetown

8. Columbia

That's discouraging--you're ranking a 3-8 team behind a team with a 21 game losing streak?

Catatonic
August 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM

I thought the same thing. Incarnate Word continues to make incremental progress each year. In 2015, they will have back their QB who was lost for the season in their opener last year and they have done a fair job of recruiting.

Smitty
August 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM
I'm still shocked I don't see WCU on this list any more.

tribe_pride
August 6th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Not surprised to be honest. T-West was a once in a generation player for Towson and now they are back to what they used to be. They had years where they were good (7-4, 8-3) but never GREAT. Maybe the program can build itself up to become a contender in the CAA, but they haven't shown that as of yet.

The other reason for the greatness if I remember correctly was that team had a good number of transfers from Maryland (from when Friedgen left) and maybe some other schools who graduated when T-West left for the draft. At a minimum, that team was loaded with Seniors.

Catsfan90
August 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM
The other reason for the greatness if I remember correctly was that team had a good number of transfers from Maryland (from when Friedgen left) and maybe some other schools who graduated when T-West left for the draft. At a minimum, that team was loaded with Seniors.

They had a really good O-line as well, which definitely contributed to West's success.

Lehigh'98
August 6th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Yeah I was close on CCSU and RM. If KSU or any team from the 2 BSC conferences does anything to prove they belong on this list the NEC probably doesn't have a member on the list.

Scary considering CCSU opens with Lehigh and I think they have a good chance to win. Man, we have fallen hard.

DFW HOYA
August 6th, 2015, 01:04 PM
There's probably a list of 10-15 teams which have settled for this lower tier; Georgetown, unfortunately, has settled to a point where some people in the University do not expect it to compete in its league, not just because of scholarships but also with the PL's academic index policies. It's hard to win if your superiors don't believe you can.

Other teams seem to be a victim of who they are: VMI hasn't had a winning season since 1981 (by contrast, Georgetown had 12 winning seasons during this time). Certainly, they can do better, but realistically, will it happen?

813Jag
August 6th, 2015, 02:54 PM

They'll shock some people this year. Maybe not in a good way, but shock none the less

You'd love Itta Bena, Mississippi lol

superman7515
August 6th, 2015, 03:01 PM

You gotta hit Larry's Fish House for some catfish.

813Jag
August 6th, 2015, 03:05 PM
You gotta hit Larry's Fish House for some catfish.
My favorite destination is US 82 West lol

eiu1999
August 6th, 2015, 03:09 PM
About all that's good in Mississippi.

Joking.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Georgetown is not bottom-10 material. Anyone playing the Hoyas that fails to respect them will risk the fate of Marist, Brown and Holy Cross last year. Gtown lost three of their conference games by a single score last season. Where's Valpo? Cmon...

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Georgetown is not bottom-10 material. Anyone playing the Hoyas that fails to respect them will risk the fate of Marist, Brown and Holy Cross last year. Gtown lost three of their conference games by a single score last season. Where's Valpo? Cmon...

Poster stated 1 team per conference....otherwise it would (and deservedly so) have been a festival of Pioneer and SWACtion and MEACtion. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 6th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Scary considering CCSU opens with Lehigh and I think they have a good chance to win. Man, we have fallen hard.

Lehigh will enter that game as a 7-10 point favorite. CCSU at home certainly has a chance to win but it would be a modest surprise imo. Lehigh is not immune to bad seasons like last year. The 1997 got their butts handed to them (gave up 60+ a of couple times) en-route to a 4-7 season. The key is being able to bounce back. I don't see 11-0 this year but a winning season could be the cards. I have no problem with them being picked 5th in the league given how many question marks everyone else has. I believe this is their lowest predicted finish EVER. Even in 2006-2009 middling years Lehigh found a way to have a league Co-Championship and two third place finishes iirc. Coen and staff better have a fire lit under their butts. If they actually finish 5th the leash will get very short imo.

I will say that a loss to CCSU and butt kicking @ JMU could land Lehigh on the Bottom 10. Holy Cross could be another strong candidate from the PL.

Herder
August 7th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Sorry, but South Dakota (waiting list) doesn't belong anywhere close to this list of schools.

CasualFan
August 7th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I'm just happy that the Big South has barely been mentioned, and even then it was about a brand new program. I think the conference showed some pretty substantial improvement last year.

clenz
August 7th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Don't think I wouldn't enjoy me the hell out of some Larry's Fish House

UNIFanSince1983
August 7th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Who wouldn't love them some Jerry Rice University?

clenz
August 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I prefer Deacon Jones University....but I've always been partial to the defensive side of the ball

Daytripper
August 7th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I thought the same thing. Incarnate Word continues to make incremental progress each year. In 2015, they will have back their QB who was lost for the season in their opener last year and they have done a fair job of recruiting.

Agree. I think Incarnate Word might surprise some of the middle of the pack SLC teams.

BisonTru
August 7th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Sorry, but South Dakota (waiting list) doesn't belong anywhere close to this list of schools.

You're probably right, I just listed the bottom teams from the 3 conferences that didn't make the list. However, if USD drops their game vs. Drake they're most likely on the list.

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Here's my list and I will admit, I lazily just picked the bottom ten ranking teams on sagarin.

1) Davidson
2) Savannah State
3) Houston Baptist
4) Columbia
5) Mississippi Valley State
6) Stetson
7) Nicholls State
8) Morehead State
9) Valparaiso
10) Robert Morris

When determining where FCS teams rank among each other that aren't among the national polls, sagarin is really the only go to resource. I know it has its flaws, but it's all we have.

Catsfan90
August 7th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Here's my list and I will admit, I lazily just picked the bottom ten ranking teams on sagarin.

1) Davidson
2) Savannah State
3) Houston Baptist
4) Columbia
6) Stetson
7) Nicholls State
8) Morehead State
9) Valparaiso
10) Robert Morris

When determining where FCS teams rank among each other that aren't among the national polls, sagarin is really the only go to resource. I know it has its flaws, but it's all we have.

This speaks volumes about the Pioneer league.....

RootinFerDukes
August 7th, 2015, 11:44 AM
They simply regressed to the mean. They had one good run when they put together a great offense, mainly based around a single (albeit fantastic) player. It's the lone bright spot in their history, not a surprising fall from established heights.
yep, this this this. they were carried by terrence west. the second he was gone, they were back to the same towson team we've always known. nothing to see here.

813Jag
August 7th, 2015, 12:04 PM
That football field :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

clenz
August 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
That football field :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Stop talkin **** about my team, jag. Don't make me google something about the school to have a comeback. ..lol

Model Citizen
August 7th, 2015, 12:24 PM

1) Davidson
2) Savannah State
3) Houston Baptist
4) Columbia
6) Stetson
7) Nicholls State
8) Morehead State
9) Valparaiso
10) Robert Morris

Most of them are not from the PFL. This calls for a cold beer and a nap.

p.s. I think Columbia and Stetson will earn higher ratings this year.

813Jag
August 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Stop talkin **** about my team, jag. Don't make me google something about the school to have a comeback. ..lol

I only make fun of Valley because its a family school. (My dad went there) I kid because I care lol

clenz
August 7th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I only make fun of Valley because its a family school. (My dad went there) I kid because I care lol
Good...now I can avoid learning anything about it for a bit longer. Lol

813Jag
August 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Good...now I can avoid learning anything about it for a bit longer. Lol

LOL!

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM

WTF is a Delta Devil anyway? Sounds hostile and abusive. xlolx

clenz
August 7th, 2015, 12:40 PM
WTF is a Delta Devil anyway? Sounds hostile and abusive. xlolx
Shut up whitey.

We in the delta and we plan to make it hell for opponents, thus we are like the devil