PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Classic Game Thread

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone watching? I've been watching a majority of the game. Sorry fellas, been missing the App St blowout of CCU on ESPNU...

Thoughts anyone?

Attendance is apparently just north of 47,000 which is less than the Houston game. Wonder why that is? NOLA has recovered enough, IMO, to support this game. Definitely saw a lot more SU fans in the Quarter and in NOLA the last two days than Grambling fans by probably a 10:1 ratio. Does the attendance issue relate to the records?

I love watching Edwards and Tolbert. Two explosive athletes, though I'll acknowledge once more, I'm a bigger fan of Edwards. Tolbert is just as impresive though...

What's with interviewing players/coaches during the game? That's more of an All-Star game like thing. Who made that decision? Definitely takes away from the game itself.

Oh, Southern won the Battle of the Bands at the half, this according to the NBC folks...

Grambling up by three, with just over 11 minutes left...

Alright, let's have a good finish! :hurray:

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
SU just regain the lead...

A rushing TD for the Jaguars.

XP is good...

SU 21-17 GSU, 8:10 4Q

Appstate29
November 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Immediately turn it back to the ASU-CCU blowout. How dare you watch anything else.

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Immediately turn it back to the ASU-CCU blowout. How dare you watch anything else.

31-0 at the half is the least bit entertaining even if it's getting a preview of what defending national champion Appy St has to offer...

Would rather watch a rivalry game that is coming down to the last minutes! Not sure what to expect here, but they did interview MELVIN SPEARS before this Grambling drive. When was the last time you saw a Div I football coach interviewed like that during the game?!?

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Grambling fumbles...

Officiating crew messes up the call and gives Grambling the ball...

No replay in the SWAC...

Grambling continues to inch up to the goal line...

4th and less than one...and Southern gets the huge stop!

Thank goodness the SWAC officiating crew didn't get a chance to gift wrap this one for Spears and Co...

TxSt02
November 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
how were the bands?

had fun watching TSU a couple weeks back...

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Geez, Southern just pushes the pile about five yards...

Helluva offensive line showing!

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Grambling uses their final timeout with 40 seconds left in the game...

SU has a 3rd down forthcoming. A first down would end the game and give the win to SU...

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
SU can't get the first down...

Two second differential between play clock and game clock...

4th down...

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
SOUTHERN wins

Zoo
November 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
This game WAS GREAT besides some of the refs calls but still, really good overall. 21-17 Southern wins.

BisBison
November 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
how were the bands?

had fun watching TSU a couple weeks back...

They were both absolutely amazing. But Southern put on the better show. :twocents:

gram4life
November 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
This game WAS GREAT besides some of the refs calls but still, really good overall. 21-17 Southern wins.

what game did you watch? :read:

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
what game did you watch? :read:

Refs botched several calls...

Namely the fumble, but there was all that facemask gaffe...

Question is, what game were you watching? :read:

gram4life
November 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Refs botched several calls...

Namely the fumble, but there was all that facemask gaffe...

Question is, what game were you watching? :read:

I watched the GSU/SU game, lol

GeauxColonels
November 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Great game. As always, it was a very entertaining and competitive game here in the Big Easy.

I really enjoyed watching Southern QB Bryant Lee get some playing time. He went to the same HS as me and I watched him during his 2 years starting there. The kid is a WINNER...lost only 1 game in 2 years as a starter in HS; captured the 5A Louisiana state title in 2003 with a 15-0 record over nationally known Evangel Christian (his team mates that year were Southern Illinois's Craig Turner and West Virginia's Darius Reynaud). I think that Lee has a GREAT future ahead of him with the Jags.

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I really enjoyed watching Southern QB Bryant Lee get some playing time. He went to the same HS as me and I watched him during his 2 years starting there. The kid is a WINNER...lost only 1 game in 2 years as a starter in HS; captured the 5A Louisiana state title in 2003 with a 15-0 record over nationally known Evangel Christian (his team mates that year were Southern Illinois's Craig Turner and West Virginia's Darius Reynaud). I think that Lee has a GREAT future ahead of him with the Jags.

Definitely seems that SU has a winner in Bryant Lee. He has a few years to mature as a QB at that... :thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
November 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Definitely seems that SU has a winner in Bryant Lee. He has a few years to mature as a QB at that... :thumbsup:
My dad and I were SHOCKED that really no one else recruited him except Southern...kinda like Craig Turner getting overlooked down here in south Louisiana and ending up in the midwest. A guy with his running ability would have been a PERFECT fit for the triple-option at Nicholls State.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Classic attendance hits record low
N.O. residents' displacement among reasons
Sunday, November 26, 2006
By Nikki G. Bannister

Attendance-wise, the Bayou Classic was a bust.

The smallest crowd in the 33-year history of the event -- announced at 47,136 -- turned out Saturday for the Classic's return to New Orleans after a one-year detour to Houston, where the previous low mark of 53,214 was set.

Actual attendance at the Superdome was estimated at 25,000 to 30,000. The reasons, according to Southern systems president and Bayou Classic coordinator Ralph Slaughter, are varied.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/116452237021820.xml&coll=1
---------------------------
DB George is Southern's saving grace
Junior saves biggest, best moment for first Classic appearance
By Nikki G. Bannister

After playing in his first Bayou Classic, Southern defensive back Jarmaul George said stopping Grambling State running back Ab Kuuan 2 yards before the goal line Saturday was the most important play of his life.

Kuuan always has had his way with Southern's defense, gaining more than 200 yards combined in his last two Bayou Classics. But his run was stopped short on fourth-and-1 with 1:43 left in the game. He was tripped by Southern right end Vincent Lands, and George tackled Kuuan on the Jaguars' 2-yard line.

"I saw him (Kuuan) from the start on where he was going," George said. "I read the running back, and I knew it was going to be a run play. It was either going to be a big fourth-down conversion completed or a first down for them.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/116452289321820.xml&coll=1
-------------
STAND AND SHOUT
Southern stops Grambling State near the Jaguars' goal line in the final minutes, and Classic euphoria ensues
By Ted Lewis

As Grambling State lined up for a potential winning play in Saturday's State Farm Bayou Classic, one thought kept going though Southern Coach Pete Richardson's mind.

Why, oh why, had he taken points off the board at the end of the first half for a touchdown try that came up inches short?

Now those three points the Jaguars had in the bank but exchanged to go for seven from the Grambling 1-yard line could be the difference between defeat and overtime.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/116452230321820.xml&coll=1