PDA

View Full Version : The AGS Preseason Poll Opens 07/23/2015 - ATTN NEWBS

AGSPoll
July 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM
THE AGS PRESEASON POLL WILL OPEN @ NOON ET ON 07/23/2015 AND WILL CLOSE @ IT'S NORMAL TIME OF NOON ET ON MONDAY 07/27/2015.

I would like the sage's around here to help the freshmen class acclimate to what they should be doing to help themselves out each week.

One thing is that you should at the very least start a text doc and save it on your desktop with your poll login information so that you can make sure it is correct, and then copy & paste that correct information in when submitting your ballot. I am talking about using proper capitalizations instead of 1/2 assing it just putting your name in all lowercase. That doesn't work, it needs to be exactly as it is here on the forum.

Sage's throw up some tips & tricks you find useful and I'll corral em' all in this post and save them for next years new crop.

ElonFirefighter
July 22nd, 2015, 03:34 PM
You must put Elon somewhere in the top 10 xthumbsupx In all seriousness, the best advice is take this pole seriously. Year in and Year out AGS has proven to be one of the most accurate poles in the land

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2015, 03:40 PM
I don't even remember my login info. That would be a good starting point.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 03:53 PM
I don't even remember my login info. That would be a good starting point.

It is:

Your proper AGS username
&
the email you signed up with

by the way when putting thsoe two things in do not rely on autofill to finish things for you. It does not work like that. It is why I am big on pushing the copy & paste option we all have. If you start typing then see it autofill and just hit tab it does not go in and causes errors for me to go fix. Don't do that.

dewey
July 22nd, 2015, 04:14 PM
Has anyone done any returning experience spreadsheet or anything like that? I have seen a few posts mentioning the returning experience but I haven't seen anything yet.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
Has anyone done any returning experience spreadsheet or anything like that? I have seen a few posts mentioning the returning experience but I haven't seen anything yet.

Dewey

Yes, look through the FCS forum as Keeper got his stuff all together and done a week or two ago. If you go find the thread that we all talking about it on you'll see the link he posted on it.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
Hell if you find it dewey post it on this and the other "top 40" thread will ya?

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 04:24 PM
Okay. I use two monitors, something not everyone has the fortune of. If you have the ability to I urge you to do so.

This is my general set up

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/POLL%20VOTE%20SET%20UP_zpsvgqqaryc.png

Starting on the left:
1. Supe's awesome how they fared sheet. You simply can't do a poll without it.
2. I use this window to brow box scores of games/teams I'm looking at
3. This window is a play sheet where I start putting teams in order, moving them, etc...
4. Is my actual submission history. As I set my play sheet I transpose into this sheet to keep a running history
5. My actual poll submission tab.

This windows shrink and grow as needed to accomplish what I want to accomplish.

My biggest advice is to start a spreadsheet, or excel file, and track your history. Track your thoughts. Keep records of it. I may go overboard on it but it gives me proper research space, space to compare teams and allows me to see what I'm putting in my submission vs what I want to put there. It's a triple check on the right side if done properly.

dewey
July 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Hell if you find it dewey post it on this and the other "top 40" thread will ya?

Sir, yes sir!

Here is a link to "Returning Experience" sheet...it is on post 21.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170358-Returning-experience-numbers/page3

Here is a link to a "Who's in your top 30..in alphabetical order" thread.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170741-In-Alphabetical-order-who-is-your-top-30

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
July 22nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Man, you guys do too much work. This is my process:

1. Wing it
2. Get it returned
3. Correct and resubmit
4. Get it returned
5. Correct and resubmit.

This happens a few times. The closer to Monday at noon, the harder I think about it.

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 04:34 PM
Here's what my google sheet doc looks like for tracking votes

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/poll%20vote%202_zpsxjllaba4.png

I create a new "play form" for every week. I've already got my preseason locked and loaded. I might create a tab to track "other polls" as the season goes on as well.

I copy and paste my my previous week into the play form and use supe's how they fared sheet and box scores to start adjusting. I never use the they lost so slide down and they won so move up method. The only reason I copy and paste is to remind myself what my thoughts of the previous week were and if I really need to move them or not, regardless if they won or lost.

I start the season with about 40 teams being considered, and yes, if you do this list every team you considered and try to rank them all the way through. It allows you to keep track of a "teams to watch" list. As the season goes on and teams start to perform to where they will my list shrinks from 40ish to probably 30-33 by week 12

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Yeah, for all you newbs, it is not, although it can be, as intricate as clenzy does. xlolx

BTW clenz, every voter has a sheet that I update or try ot have updated as votes come in each week. I know IBY uses his to look at and vote off of. I send a link to new voters for their sheet as they register and you are supposed to keep that link hand for yourself...lon that text doc I was talking about earlier would be a good spot as well.

I will be pm'ing new guys their sheet links soon but there are no votes on em' yet anyway so chill and wait. Don't pm me about it, I got too many of those going as it is. xlolx

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 05:59 PM
Yeah, for all you newbs, it is not, although it can be, as intricate as clenzy does. xlolx

BTW clenz, every voter has a sheet that I update or try ot have updated as votes come in each week. I know IBY uses his to look at and vote off of. I send a link to new voters for their sheet as they register and you are supposed to keep that link hand for yourself...lon that text doc I was talking about earlier would be a good spot as well.

I will be pm'ing new guys their sheet links soon but there are no votes on em' yet anyway so chill and wait. Don't pm me about it, I got too many of those going as it is. xlolx
Yeah. I may go over the top but I'd rather do that than half ass WAG it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/cf86a42b1a40834b8ae8473598df51e1.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bonarae
July 23rd, 2015, 06:27 AM
I don't usually do the Preseason poll (not my kind of thing), but whenever I do my regular season poll, I "balance" between the TSN poll and this forum's poll of the last week (also aided by Supe's very helpful How They Fared sheet, done every early Sunday morning Eastern time.) Then after I "balanced" the positions (and I also consider the top 10 of the rest) and measured them by results (margin, statistics, etc.), I slot them in the desired positions.

Professor Chaos
July 23rd, 2015, 08:54 AM
I also started a thread with the conference preseason polls: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170731-2015-Conference-Preseason-Polls. There's only a few conferences who've released their preseason polls so far but I'll update it as the week goes along and I've found this is a useful cross check for your preseason poll ballot. I'd suggest doing your poll first so as not to be swayed by the conference polls but it's a good way to cross check your poll after it's done to make sure that you didn't miss anyone that deserved consideration for the top 25.

RichH2
July 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Biggest thing for me is remembering that Montana and Montana St are indeed separate teams. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Biggest thing for me is remembering that Montana and Montana St are indeed separate teams. :)

You son of a....

Milktruck74
July 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Jacksonville is not Jacksonville State.

BisonFan02
July 23rd, 2015, 10:42 PM
Chatty is not the Cleveland Browns....they're better! :D

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 11:00 PM
Jacksonville is not Jacksonville State.

What is this referencing?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 11:01 PM
What is this referencing?

Nevermind. I forgot the point of the thread is helping newbs out. xlolx

BisonFan02
July 23rd, 2015, 11:04 PM
Nevermind. I forgot the point of the thread is helping newbs out. xlolx

xlolx ****ing newb.... :D

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
xlolx ****ing newb.... :D

YOU'RE A NEWB!!!

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2015, 11:49 PM
Am I a newb?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Am I a newb?

No. You are titled..seriously..."verge of purge". You are not alone though Rob there are a few others in the boat with you. xlolx

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2015, 06:09 AM
1 for 1 so far.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2015, 08:31 AM
YOU'RE A NEWB!!!

I had a dream last night. I was a snake slithering through the grass, until I came upon a dead elk, and I climbed into his soul, and it's there I stayed until morning, which meant I will underestimate someone very close to me.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 11:36 AM
does i...eh

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2015, 11:54 AM
does i...eh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pi1Tj_sRag

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess the newbs gotta know that tomfoolery is prevalent around too.

clenz
July 24th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Us....fool around.....?

NEVER

http://cdn29.elitedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tumblr_m8um5czsa51qawgya.gif

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM

You mean shenanigans? :D

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Mine is in. Someone had to cast a #1 vote for Chatty! xlolx

superman7515
July 26th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Just a reminder to get them in before noon.

gotts
July 26th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Any vote is a good vote, provided you can defend it with a statement that has more substance than "because I think x team is better than y."

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Any vote is a good vote, provided you can defend it with a statement that has more substance than "because I think x team is better than y."

This is a good point. Sometimes people think that anything they do will fly but this is not the case. You will at times need to defend you ballot. Do not be offended by this, or go ahead but it won't matter, it is not a method of picking on you or your ballot. If you have something mysterious we may ask why you did it and why you see some team as more deserving than another team that seems to have done more.

superman7515
July 27th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Early in the season, don't be afraid to tear your ballot up and ride in a new direction. If you have Team X at #3 in your preseason poll and they lose three straight, don't feel obligated to "slot vote" and always drop them 5 slots for a loss, and therefore keep them in your ballot.

Likewise, if you have Team Y at #23 in the preseason, and they win their first three games by really impressive margins, don't feel obligated to keep them behind another 3-0 team that started higher on your preseason ballot.

Earlier in the season is when you want to be okay with the largest amount of fluctuation in your ballot.

clenz
July 27th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Early in the season, don't be afraid to tear your ballot up and ride in a new direction. If you have Team X at #3 in your preseason poll and they lose three straight, don't feel obligated to "slot vote" and always drop them 5 slots for a loss, and therefore keep them in your ballot.

Likewise, if you have Team Y at #23 in the preseason, and they win their first three games by really impressive margins, don't feel obligated to keep them behind another 3-0 team that started higher on your preseason ballot.

Earlier in the season is when you want to be okay with the largest amount of fluctuation in your ballot.
Anyone that admits to slot voting at anytime, for any reason, should have stones thrown at them.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Just gave this same piece of advice to one of our new voters this year. Obviously, great advice.