PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs UNI and the new Vikings stadium

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 17th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Scott Miller(voice of the Bison) asked NDSU AD Matt Larsen, tonight on his radio show, if it would be possible to play NDSU vs UNI games at the new Vikings stadium. This would mean each team giving up their home games and playing at the new Vikings stadium for a couple years or more. Larsen did not shoot down the idea. He said they are always looking at ways to give NDSU and the FCS more exposure. What do you think about this idea?

centennial
July 17th, 2015, 10:47 PM
I am not sure there will be enough interest to get more than 20k... unless you are lakes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 17th, 2015, 10:47 PM
I think as a one time deal it would be pretty good. However, it would be a shame for this game not to be played on-campus in great FCS environments...

clenz
July 18th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Absolutely not. Home games are hard enough to come by.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Not a big fan of this idea. But NDSU and UND is a different matter all together.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Not a big fan of this idea. But NDSU and UND is a different matter all together.

This here.

NDSU/UND have a lot of alumni in the Twin Cities. This would draw double the fans compared to NDSU/UNI in the new stadium IMO.

dewey
July 18th, 2015, 11:01 AM
If it was just for a 2 year time then maybe but I think it would be hard to get more than 25000 or so for the game. With only 25000 fans it would feel fairly empty .

Dewey

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
If it was just for a 2 year time then maybe but I think it would be hard to get more than 25000 or so for the game. With only 25000 fans it would feel fairly empty .

Dewey
25000 only? You would probably get 30,000 or more Bison fans. Then depends on how well UNI travels maybe 20,000 UNI fans. Then also the casual fan.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Absolutely not. Home games are hard enough to come by.

This would be a huge home game, away from home, for each team. Maybe you get ESPN or Fox sport 1 to televise the game. Think about what it would do for recruiting for each team. Each team could bring in recruits from all sports to this game and say look what you could be apart of. Both teams recruit the Minneapolis area. You can have more attendance for each team then they can have at there home stadiums. Think of 25 to 30 thousand Bison fans and 20 to 25 thousand UNI screaming at each other during the game. That would be a awesome atmosphere. Think of the revenue each team would get from the game. You can still tailgate. Think about the exposure each school and the FCS would get. You wouldn't give up one home game every other year for this?

clenz
July 18th, 2015, 12:55 PM
**** no

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 12:58 PM
25000 only? You would probably get 30,000 or more Bison fans. Then depends on how well UNI travels maybe 20,000 UNI fans. Then also the casual fan.

I doubt UNI could muster up 20K for a game like this.

dewey
July 18th, 2015, 02:35 PM

NDSU brought a lot of fans to the 2006 and 2007 games against Minnesota but I would not expect the same following for a UNI game. No slight against UNI intended. Perhaps NDSU could get 20k to 25k but thinking that UNI would bring 20k is wishful thinking imho. UNI Averaged 12490 fans per game last year according to the NCAA pdf I saw. I don't think there is anyway getting 20k fans to travel 3.5 hours to MSP would happen.

The new Vikings stadium would hold 64k with it being expandable to 72k.
http://www.vikings.com/stadium/new-stadium/by-the-numbers.html

I would totally go if it happens I just don't think it makes financial sense to each school. Not only are you losing gate money but you now need to rent the Vikings stadium.

Dewey

BisonTru
July 18th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I doubt UNI could muster up 20K for a game like this.

This^^

I absolutely love the idea of this as a non season ticket holder who's always looking for a ticket to Bison games even if I have to travel 4 hours or 16.

But I don't see this making a lot of sense for UNI. They couldn't fill their dome for our game last year. I can't see them bringing any where near 20k to the cities.

344Johnson
July 18th, 2015, 03:19 PM
It'd be cool to do once. I'd even go likely. If they did it more than once no one would go.

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2015, 03:21 PM
This^^

I absolutely love the idea of this as a non season ticket holder who's always looking for a ticket to Bison games even if I have to travel 4 hours or 16.

But I don't see this making a lot of sense for UNI. They couldn't fill their dome for our game last year. I can't see them bringing any where near 20k to the cities.

I really dont see how it makes sense for NDSU. Think of the money lost.

BisonTru
July 18th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I really dont see how it makes sense for NDSU. Think of the money lost.

How many tickets would you sell?
What would the dome want to lease out?
Would we get a percentage of concessions?

Too many questions, IMO, to call this a money maker or loser, at this point.

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2015, 04:33 PM
How many tickets would you sell?
What would the dome want to lease out?
Would we get a percentage of concessions?

Too many questions, IMO, to call this a money maker or loser, at this point.

Facilities like that aren't in the business of giving money away. Its their show. They will get more than the lions share.
It wont be worth it.

Bisonator
July 18th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I don't see it happening with UNI but if UND ever gets there poop in a group it could be a possible site for an FCS kickoff game between UND and NDSU. That would be kind of cool and I'm sure they could get 40,000 there for it.

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Dumb idea with no redeeming aspect.

unigriff
July 19th, 2015, 02:19 PM
UNI doesn't travel. It'd be a road game for the cats even if 0 bison fans came from ND. No point.

Laker
July 19th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I really dislike neutral site games. It screws over fans from both sides. MSU-Mankato used to have one home game in the Metrodome each year. The first year it was cool. Then it got to be a pain.

If they played a game on a Thursday night or a Saturday night when the Mavs were not playing, I'd sure go to watch. But there aren't that many fans like me who would go to almost any game.

Nodak78
July 20th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I don't see it happening with UNI but if UND ever gets there poop in a group it could be a possible site for an FCS kickoff game between UND and NDSU. That would be kind of cool and I'm sure they could get 40,000 there for it.

Hell yes. let's move this years game to anywhere other than the fargodome. I could get a ticket plus the cost to travel, get a room, meals for less than the tickets are going for on internet for this years game in the dome.

Bisonator
July 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM
Hell yes. let's move this years game to anywhere other than the fargodome. I could get a ticket plus the cost to travel, get a room, meals for less than the tickets are going for on internet for this years game in the dome.

Did you miss the part where I said UND gets their poop in a group? Cause you aint there yet!:D

Nodak78
July 21st, 2015, 07:58 AM
Did you miss the part where I said UND gets their poop in a group? Cause you aint there yet!:D

No didn't miss that at all. Sept 19th will show how much poop we have in a group. We are not there yet. However I would hate to change our winning record in the Dome. xlolx

centennial
July 21st, 2015, 08:49 AM
No didn't miss that at all. Sept 19th will show how much poop we have in a group. We are not there yet. However I would hate to change our winning record in the Dome. xlolx
You do realize you got blanked out by the 9th place MVFC team 38-0? All this talk of giving us a game, I am not sure you've improved enough to be more than 4-5 touchdown underdogs.

Nodak78
July 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM
You do realize you got blanked out by the 9th place MVFC team 38-0? All this talk of giving us a game, I am not sure you've improved enough to be more than 4-5 touchdown underdogs.

Yep we are the underdog by how many TD's I don't know. Just know we will play the game and take our lumps.xnodx

AmsterBison
July 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM
I really dislike neutral site games. It screws over fans from both sides. MSU-Mankato used to have one home game in the Metrodome each year. The first year it was cool. Then it got to be a pain.

As a one or two-time deal, it wouldn't be so bad. All the people who never get to see NDSU play at the FargoDome could get tickets to a game at the new Vikings stadium so that would be good. Plus all the alumni who live in the Twin Cities.

It could work, but there'd be a lot of details to work out.

taper
July 21st, 2015, 07:32 PM
At some point the number of teams in the MVFC will change(doesn't matter if it's up or down) and the scheduling rotations will change. We didn't play Western Ill for 2 years after USD joined. Possibility that a single neutral site game helps even things out. Definitely don't see either team giving up a home game. This seems like one of those ideas that sounds great but doesn't work in practice.

BisonFan02
July 21st, 2015, 08:40 PM
At some point the number of teams in the MVFC will change(doesn't matter if it's up or down) and the scheduling rotations will change. We didn't play Western Ill for 2 years after USD joined. Possibility that a single neutral site game helps even things out. Definitely don't see either team giving up a home game. This seems like one of those ideas that sounds great but doesn't work in practice.

It doesn't work in the case of UNI for NDSU, but I don't think it is COMPLETELY ridiculous to say that the MVFC will end out playing OOC games against each other to fill schedules in the near future. I hope it isn't the case, but it is entirely possible (ala Big Sky).

FargoBison
July 21st, 2015, 09:39 PM
From an NDSU standpoint it would cool, an extra home game would be nice.

toolfan2232
July 23rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
NDSU fans and FCS football fans vote for Carson Wentz!!!!!

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/honoring-achievement-and-field-2014-15

BisonBacker
July 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM

No Thank you!