PDA

View Full Version : Montana makes it official

exbearkat
April 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Old news, but just wanted to make sure you Montana fans realized that I was legit in posting this a couple of weeks ago. :)

Montana nabs a Kat
http://itemonline.com/art/spacer.gif
By Jason Barfield ([email protected])/Sports Editor - Huntsville Item

On Sept. 18 of last year, the No. 1-ranked I-AA football team visited Bowers Stadium and took a pretty good thumping. Sam Houston State jumped up to a 41-10 lead and held on for a 41-29 victory over the Montana Grizzlies

Evidently, the work of former SHSU defensive coordinator Mike Hudson left a pretty good impression on Montana head coach Bobby Hauck. On Thursday, Hauck named Hudson assistant head coach and put him in control of the cornerbacks for the Grizzlies.

"It is awesome," Hudson said Thursday afternoon in a phone interview from Missoula, Mont. "The people up here are crazy about Grizzly football and it is only April. I had dinner last night with the head coach and some boosters and it was wild. I really enjoyed Sam Houston and wanted to stay there, but Bobby (Williams) hired Todd (Whitten), and he did what he thought was best for the program and that is his job."...

http://itemonline.com/articles/2005/04/15/sports/todays_sports/sports03.txt

TexasTerror
April 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Griz hire Hudson to coach corners
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

The first time Mike Hudson ventured into Washington-Grizzly Stadium, in September 2003, a Griz football fan set a beer on his player's shoulder during the game.

"I'll never, ever forget that," said Hudson, who was then the defensive line coach for Sam Houston State. "Unbelievable. That was an all-timer."

Hudson, 41, joined the Montana Grizzlies' football staff Thursday, as cornerbacks coach for the 2005 season. The defensive coordinator at Sam Houston last season - when the Bearkats beat the then-No. 1 Griz 41-29 in Huntsville, Texas, then lost to them 34-13 in Missoula in the I-AA semifinals - is to be Montana's associate head coach for Bobby Hauck as well.

Montana's winning tradition and rabid fan base appealed to Hudson, who was without a job after longtime Bearkats' coach Sam Randleman retired after the semifinal loss to UM. New coach Todd Whitten, who came over from Tarleton State in Stephenville, Texas, kept only offensive coordinator James Ferguson from Randleman's staff.

One of Hudson's first calls after that was to Dave Schramm, then the recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach for UM. The two coached together at Southwest Texas State in San Marcos in 2001-02.

"David Schramm is a very good friend of mine," said Hudson. "I stayed in touch with Schramm, and when I came up there in '03, I met Bobby for the first time. From then on, I just maintained a relationship with him. Then, when we got let go at Sam, I called Schramm and said, 'Look, if anything comes open up there I want to come up.'...

VictorG
April 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM
A coors can!!!!!! :mad: We can do a HECK of a lot better than that! :)

I'm glad he's here. We need him!

Proud Griz Man
April 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM
We trusted your lead exBearKat. Can Hudson recruit? Was he a well-respected defensive coordinator?

exbearkat
April 15th, 2005, 10:33 AM
We trusted your lead exBearKat. Can Hudson recruit? Was he a well-respected defensive coordinator?
Hud is a VERY good coach and motivator, and did the best with what he had at SH. As I'm sure you guys know, SH is much more known for its offense rather than defense. However, since Hud came aboard, our defense has gotten much better and the kids seemed to play much harder under his lead. As far as the recruiting question, I am not really sure, as I haven't heard anything either way.

You guys are in good hands with Hudson, and I really was surprised and upset that he wasn't retained by the new HC.

Proud Griz Man
April 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Hud is a VERY good coach and motivator, and did the best with what he had at SH. As I'm sure you guys know, SH is much more known for its offense rather than defense. However, since Hud came aboard, our defense has gotten much better and the kids seemed to play much harder under his lead. As far as the recruiting question, I am not really sure, as I haven't heard anything either way.

You guys are in good hands with Hudson, and I really was surprised and upset that he wasn't retained by the new HC.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear. Hud sounds like a good motivator and good defensive instructor. The reason I ask about recruiting is, that SHSU had some great athletes with outstanding speed. We're always looking to add some speed. Let us know if you hear anything new on Hud's recruiting skills. :cool:

exbearkat
April 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
SHSU had some great athletes with outstanding speed. :cool:That is true, and we still have a tremendous amount of speed on our team this year. The problem with that, however, is that when we get to teams that are fast (Montana), but maybe not quite as fast as us, AND have SIZE to go along with it, we tend to have problems. The exception to this is when a faster team hosts a bigger team at a TX location in the middle of September. ;)

GrizzlyEdd
April 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I would hope that the Griz and the Bearkats can get together for a home and home in the near future. I have always enjoyed the folks who come up from TX. I have met a couple of young couples that were some of the best fans I have had the pleasure to meet at Washington Grizzly Stadium. I hope I will get the chance to see them again. :)

grizfnz
April 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
...... The exception to this is when a faster team hosts a bigger team at a TX location in the middle of September. ;)

The thought of that makes me want to puke ;)

exbearkat
April 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM
I would hope that the Griz and the Bearkats can get together for a home and home in the near future. I have always enjoyed the folks who come up from TX. I have met a couple of young couples that were some of the best fans I have had the pleasure to meet at Washington Grizzly Stadium. I hope I will get the chance to see them again. :)We may have met then...my girlfriend and I have been to all three of the Montana/Sam Houston games in Missoula.

GrizzlyEdd
April 16th, 2005, 08:54 PM
We may have met then...my girlfriend and I have been to all three of the Montana/Sam Houston games in Missoula.

The couple I remember most, the guy was an x-bearkat and the lady with him had long dark hair if I remember correctly. The guy was pretty big. Exceptionally nice folks and we had a nice chat. Maybe that was you. If so, hope to see you again.... :)

grizfnz
April 17th, 2005, 12:23 AM
The couple I remember most, the guy was an x-bearkat and the lady with him had long dark hair if I remember correctly. The guy was pretty big. Exceptionally nice folks and we had a nice chat. Maybe that was you. If so, hope to see you again.... :)

Wrong guy Edd....Ex isn't that big and his S.O. is a petite blonde. They are/were however exceptionally nice, and did manage to stop by our gathering (third time was a charm).