PDA

View Full Version : The Big North

Shockerman
November 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM
I picked this up on D2 Football.com Whats the chance something like this could ever happen? It seems like it would be the perfect solution to everyone's problems.

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State
Idaho State
UNC
Weber State

GWC
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
San Diego
SUU

Any takers? forgetting the auto-bid question for a sec could this be the long term solution?

UMass922
November 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
I picked this up on D2 Football.com Whats the chance something like this could ever happen? It seems like it would be the perfect solution to everyone's problems.

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State
Idaho State
UNC
Weber State

GWC
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
San Diego
SUU

Any takers? forgetting the auto-bid question for a sec could this be the long term solution?

Could one of the BN teams be shifted into the GWC? That way they'd each have nine teams, which would mean a full, round-robin, eight-game conference slate and three OOC games for each team.

Russ B
November 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
From a purely geographic point of view, EWU and PSU should swap spots with UNC and Weber St.

edit: ah, the proposed split is E/W of the Rockies, fair enough. :)

jimgrizfan
November 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
3 of those teams in BN are west of Rockies, Montana, Weber, Idaho State
I would propose BN get Eastern Wa and GW get Idaho State and Weber

Russ B
November 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM
Close enough for talking purposes, though. :)

The whole idea is moot, IMO, since Cal Poly and Davis seem like good fits in the Big West for the rest of their sports. I could see San Diego joining them and becoming a member of the Great West, but that's about it.

Tod
November 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State
Idaho State
UNC
Weber State

GWC
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
San Diego
SUU

I'd suggest Weber to the GWC. Two nine teams conferences, and a natural rivalry with SUU. :twocents:

Shockerman
November 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
I would agree that weber would be better off in the GWC. So it would like like this.

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State
Idaho State
UNC

GWC
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
San Diego
SUU
Weber State

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
I would agree that weber would be better off in the GWC. So it would like like this.

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Minnesota State
Idaho State
UNC

GWC
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
San Diego
SUU
Weber State

I like it. Make it happen :smiley_wi

UNCBears2010
November 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM
:hurray: Yes, awesome, let's do it. Reunite the old NCC with some Big Sky buddies!:nod: :nod: :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
How about:

THE BIG NORTH
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
Nebraska-Omaha (better choice than Minnesota State IMO)
Idaho State
UNC

GWC
Eastern Washington
Western Washington (better choice than San Diego IMO)
Portland St
Sac St
Poly
UC Davis
Northern AZ
SUU
Weber State

Though, how you're going to convice EWU, PSU, Sac State, NAU and Weber to part with playing Montana each year is anyone's guess.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Minnesota State is 100% not moving up. Them, Saint Cloud, and Duluth just made a commitment to stay DII and are trying to join the NSIC.

Western Washington certainly has the market to move up, but I haven't heard anything from them. They'd be nice for Eastern Washington. Their facilities aren't really up to par. Not sure they could afford such a move (though playing in the NCC isn't cheap for them).

UNO is trying to join the MIAA and will certainly stay DII. They may end up cutting their football team to save money. Their big thing is DI hockey.

Shockerman, I think it's funny that you're proposing this in order to keep NDSU and SDSU (and perhaps UND and USD down the road) out of the Gateway, which would hurt WSU's chances of joining.

BisonBacker
November 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
If the Gateway offer NDSU and SDSU we are gone from the GWFC and any other talk about NDSU/SDSU in any proposed conference with either the Montana schools or UND.

JBB
November 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM
+++++

Shockerman
November 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Shockerman, I think it's funny that you're proposing this in order to keep NDSU and SDSU (and perhaps UND and USD down the road) out of the Gateway, which would hurt WSU's chances of joining.

No doubt I love my Shox, Adding NDSU and SDSU wouldn't kill WSU and the Gateway. Being one of the marquee programs in the Valley, the Shox would be a lock if they wanted into the Gatway, no questions asked. Much like ODU and the CAA. IMO, the only way UND and USD get into the Gateway is if some sort of playoff is implemented in DI and the old guard from the Valley opt out for DI football. With WSU, ISU, MSU and Southern out of the picture a new Gateway would look like this.

Gateway
NDSU
UND
USD
SDSU
Northern Iowa
Western Ill
SUU
UT Valley

-YSU would find a way into the Mac
-Indiana State could not suffer the indegnity of being left behind by the
other valley schools and would go Non-scholly or drop football all
together.
-At this point it gets even messier as you would have 6 teams from the Mid-con in the conference. so perhaps the name would be changed from the Gateway to the Mid-con.

I am so full of ***** today, I love it.

By the way props to the Bison, that school will be a force to be reckoned with someday. A la UNI.