PDA

View Full Version : Old photo of Lafayette's Fisher Field

Marcus Garvey
November 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Below I've attached a photo from the Morning Call's website regarding the Easton-P'burg high school football rivalry. The caption claims that the photo was taken of the game (at Fisher Field) in 1958. Can any Lafayette or Lehigh "old-timers" confirm this? Is this really what the visiting grandstand looked like at Fisher?

I'm skeptical primarily because the MCall is a crappy newspaper, so it's not unlike them to mess up facts.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, that is old Fisher. We used to have a very weird seat configuration on that sideline. You can confirm it in the Laf-Lehigh Documentary.

LeopardFan04
November 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
cool picture MG...yes, i knew i had seen that somewhere before...must have been the L-L doc...strange indeed...

Go...gate
November 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM
What was the seating capacity of Fisher in those days?

carney2
November 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
What was the seating capacity of Fisher in those days?

I think that it was 18,000 - maybe more.

This is the Fisher that I remember from my days on the Hill. I have not seen a photo of it in many years.

Marcus Garvey
November 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
I think that it was 18,000 - maybe more.

This is the Fisher that I remember from my days on the Hill. I have not seen a photo of it in many years.

Cool avatar Carney.
Incidently, why was the new scoreboard mounted on the corner of the endzone? Morvian's Rocco Calvo Field (nee Steel Field) does the same thing with their scoreboard, making it pretty much impossible to read it from the visiting grandstands. Was there no room to mount it? That's why they do it at Moravian.

Go...gate
November 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Cool avatar Carney.
Incidently, why was the new scoreboard mounted on the corner of the endzone? Morvian's Rocco Calvo Field (nee Steel Field) does the same thing with their scoreboard, making it pretty much impossible to read it from the visiting grandstands. Was there no room to mount it? That's why they do it at Moravian.

Is that the same Rocco Calvo who was a star QB at Cornell in the early 1950's, when Cornell was a FB power?

Marcus Garvey
November 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Is that the same Rocco Calvo who was a star QB at Cornell in the early 1950's, when Cornell was a FB power?
Yupppers...
He even beat Michigan in Ithaca one year. Rocco was from Bethlehem. In 1955 he came back and starting coaching at Moravian, not just football, but other sports as well. I always thought it was funny that for years, he was probably the only faculty member with an Ivy League degree!

He was so associated with Moravian College athletics that nobody around town associated him with Cornell.

carney2
November 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
why was the new scoreboard mounted on the corner of the endzone?

The new Varsity House will take up the entire end zone where the old scoreboard stood. I guess they could have mounted the new scoreboard on top of the Varsity House, but this thing is gargantuan - and, I assume, quite heavy. It would have added some $$ to the construction and engineering. Besides, the "enclosed" feel of the new Fisher once the new building is completed is going to be just great. The loss in aesthetics by putting the scoreboard on the new building would be significant. I have sat in the visiting stands (we switch sides at halftime quite often to talk to the visiting folks), and the scoreboard is quite visible from any point in the stands. It's visible, not convenient. You have to turn your head 90 degrees to the right to see it. I like the people that I meet in the visiting stands (mostly parents of the players), but I guess we're not beholdin' to give them a perfect football experience.

The avatar, by the way, is complements of LeopardFan04 with some help from Photoshop. I plan to use it for quite a while.

ngineer
November 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
Yes that photo is the real McCoy. I was in those stands freshman year, 1970. At that time I think Fisher sat around 18,500 permenant, but was over 20,000 seats with the temporary seats for Lehigh game. Old baseball diamond was in the lower right corner. Fly balls into the grandstand were ground rule doubles up to a line near where the 'break' occurs. A ball into the upper left area was a homer.