PDA

View Full Version : RMU getting Navy Turf

Original_RMC
June 5th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Had no clue this was coming

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20808&stc=1

bluehenbillk
June 5th, 2015, 01:22 PM
So was the NCAA's ban against this just for FBS schools? Coastal and now RMU?

clenz
June 5th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Looks like a navy endzone...

Do you have proof the rest of the field will be navy?

PAllen
June 5th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Nah, the rest of the field will be white with red stripes. Got to keep up with the Joneses

kdinva
June 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM
It would be nice if there was a way to add 2,000 seats to the visitor's side....but the stadium is land locked (like VMI's)

Smitty
June 5th, 2015, 01:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGwYOHPWoAAuXXB.jpg

Recent shot from their twitter account.

kdinva
June 5th, 2015, 01:52 PM

That makes sense....

BEAR
June 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Lookin' good! I remember we once had one of those green fields... xbawlingx

Sycamore62
June 5th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I think the turf is navy not Navy's.

otherwise I guess I wouldn't have read the thread lol

Libertine
June 5th, 2015, 02:26 PM
So was the NCAA's ban against this just for FBS schools? Coastal and now RMU?

There has never been an NCAA ban on colored turf.

Sycamore62
June 5th, 2015, 02:34 PM
isnt the "ban" the fact that somehow non-green colored turf has been copyrighted or whatever the correct term is by Boise St? so to get it you have to have their permission.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 5th, 2015, 02:37 PM

Also had never heard of that other than people always saying "The NCAA should..." but that isn't an NCAA decision anyway it it? I believe that's one of those things that is up to conferences...or maybe misunderstood someone discussing it another time.

Bill
June 5th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Correct, the issue is not with the NCAA but Field Turf and Boise State.
I currently work at a DIII school. We tried to replace our green field turf this year with navy blue....but no luck. Boise said "no way". Any other color would have been fine, according to the folks at Boise. We opted for the alternating "brushed" green look instead.

Field turf, the largest manufacturer of fake grass, is in league with boise state. Boise state has first refusal with any field turf product that's NOT green. If you want another color, they have to approve. They guard the color blue very closely.
We sent in to Boise, and they said no way.
You could always go with another company, or dig in for a lawsuit with the others. I can't believe trademarking a color would hold up in court, but my current employer certainly doesn't have the deep pockets needed to fight that one.

taper
June 5th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Navy field with a regular brown football would be a nightmare for the refs. End zones are fine.

rokamortis
June 6th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Correct, the issue is not with the NCAA but Field Turf and Boise State.
I currently work at a DIII school. We tried to replace our green field turf this year with navy blue....but no luck. Boise said "no way". Any other color would have been fine, according to the folks at Boise. We opted for the alternating "brushed" green look instead.

Field turf, the largest manufacturer of fake grass, is in league with boise state. Boise state has first refusal with any field turf product that's NOT green. If you want another color, they have to approve. They guard the color blue very closely.
We sent in to Boise, and they said no way.
You could always go with another company, or dig in for a lawsuit with the others. I can't believe trademarking a color would hold up in court, but my current employer certainly doesn't have the deep pockets needed to fight that one.

My understanding is that Boise was very concerned that teal would be too close to blue and had to be assured that it would be significantly 'not blue' to approve Coastal's turf. Also, I think all of the turf manufacturer's are in league. I think they've been put on notice and are playing ball as they don't want to be sued.

Go...gate
June 7th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Nice upgrade!

walliver
June 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM
A while back, I had free time and did an internet search on Boise's trademark claims.
Apparently Boise State claims a trademark on any solid-colored artificial playing surface not colored green. Boise will license this trademark to other entities for a surface that is not blue, although they have suggested they would not allow an orange field either. Licensing allows them to claim that they are acting to preserve their trademark.

Their claim seems overly broad to me, but until someone decides to go to court against them, things are not going to change. This doesn't really bother me from a practical standpoint since I hate these strange turf colors anyway.

Gordon Shumway
June 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
If it isn't banned by the NCAA, it should be. :D