PDA

View Full Version : If the committee won't pair by region...

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
...like they claim...

...why can't they just do us all a favor and seed all 16 teams? I'm getting really really tired of this process every year.

Why should the team's performance only matter for the top 4 teams? The last team in should have to go up against the #1 team first round, not be awarded with a home game (no offense, MSU). Youngstown and JMU, two of the top contenders in the field, should not be playing each other in round one.

There are simply too many intangibles in college football to ignore. If the Bullcrap Subdivision ever instituted a playoff, do you think Notre Dame would be traveling to Rutgers? Would Florida and So. Cal be playing each other in the first round? Heck no. That just wouldn't make any sense, now would it?

Please forgive my whining. Just had to get that off my chest.

putter
November 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I agree 100%! If Furman goes to MSU and McNeese goes to Montana then anyteam can and should be put on a plane to go where ever..

Peems
November 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM
understand your frustration, but overall, regionalization wasnt too bad. beside MSU and Furman it was ok. i understand that JMU and YSU probably shouldnt be meeting now, but its not that far of a trip. and for the MSU and Montana games, there are no teams close to montana someone had to make the long trip. though overall i do agree seeding the teams would be best.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2006, 06:52 PM
UNI should've gone to Montana. ;)

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
...like they claim...

...why can't they just do us all a favor and seed all 16 teams? I'm getting really really tired of this process every year.

Why should the team's performance only matter for the top 4 teams? The last team in should have to go up against the #1 team first round, not be awarded with a home game (no offense, MSU). Youngstown and JMU, two of the top contenders in the field, should not be playing each other in round one.

There are simply too many intangibles in college football to ignore. If the Bullcrap Subdivision ever instituted a playoff, do you think Notre Dame would be traveling to Rutgers? Would Florida and So. Cal be playing each other in the first round? Heck no. That just wouldn't make any sense, now would it?

Have you seen our home and away record. Hell, I would rather have us travel. Consider yourself fortunate that the game is in Bozeman.

putter
November 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Have you seen our home and away record. Hell, I would rather have us travel. Consider yourself fortunate that the game is in Bozeman.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx This year, how true that is...

BrevardMountaineer03
November 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I just hate the fact that ASU might meet Furman in the 2nd round. At least they could have put some conference foes on the other side of the bracket, but it looks like the possibility of having some conference rematches as early as the 2nd round. Semis at least would be fine, but not the 2nd round.

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
...like they claim...

You are way off base. The NCAA NEVER says anywhere that they are pairing teams by region. There are specific rules for pairings on the top 4 seeds. If you have a problem with them (and I have in the past and have expressed such) then post on that but you are whiney and need to get over it. READ THE ACTUAL RULES and then post.

If you know more show me where in their rules that this is the case then post or PM me. For your Newbie information this happens every year. In 2003 #2 seed Delaware played #5 seed Southen Illinois in the first round. Every year there is another story. I think James Madison has a bigger gripe than you I would prefer abd travel to MSU then travel and play YSU especially with the JMU resume but the Dukes at least know that the goal is a NC and you have to play everyone in the end.

Heck with some of the losses Furman has had they are fortunate to be in the playoffs. In a regular year with a bunch of 8-3 teams they are out!!!!

Last year Furman never had to travel far and the responsible posters never whined. This year Furman is fortunate to get in and we get bellyaching.

You're fortune is within your control. Deal with it!!!!!!!!

SoCon Din
November 20th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Take a breather buddy. I think he's complaining about everything in the playoffs, and the fact that he can't travel to watch the Paladins might add to his frustration this year.

I understand, but at the same time agree that we're fortunate to be in the playoffs. However, try to make your point next time without pointing out a million negatives about Furman. Your view is usually right on target and well-thought out, but I can't say that about your most recent post.

And I'm almost positive there has been an official effort towards regionalization in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Appy, couldnt' agree more. I hate how potential conference teams are paired up in the second round. Guess you're bound to be that close with only a 16 team playoff.

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
A) I called myself whiney and apologized for it in my post. Thanks for driving it into the ground.

B) Championship structure, Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA Manual, #2: "The remaining teams will be paired ACCORDING TO GEOGRAPHIC proximity." Unless you are somehow stalking me, don't claim that I haven't read the rules, because you obviously had no clue. Other wonderful explanations we've heard recently (but I can't find links to) include "student well-being," regarding exams, which seems to be also a completely arbitrary judgment.

C) With the losses we've suffered, we should be lucky to be in the playoffs? We lost to an ACC team by 3, and to two playoff teams.

D) Please don't call me a newbie. I KNOW this happens every year. If this was an isolated occassion, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I also think that JMU got the worst deal (which was why I mentioned it). And last year, the farthest Furman had to travel was Richmond (hardly a huge deal), but Furman posters did complain, simply for the mystery as to why we were playing on the road at all.

I'm sorry that Delaware had a down year this year, really. But if you're going to get upset like that, well...nevermind, I'm done here. Didn't want to get snippy, sorry, it happens.

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
A) I called myself whiney and apologized for it in my post. Thanks for driving it into the ground.

B) Championship structure, Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA Manual, #2: "The remaining teams will be paired ACCORDING TO GEOGRAPHIC proximity." Unless you are somehow stalking me, don't claim that I haven't read the rules, because you obviously had no clue. Other wonderful explanations we've heard recently (but I can't find links to) include "student well-being," regarding exams, which seems to be also a completely arbitrary judgment.

C) With the losses we've suffered, we should be lucky to be in the playoffs? We lost to an ACC team by 3, and to two playoff teams.

D) Please don't call me a newbie. I KNOW this happens every year. If this was an isolated occassion, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I also think that JMU got the worst deal (which was why I mentioned it). And last year, the farthest Furman had to travel was Richmond (hardly a huge deal), but Furman posters did complain, simply for the mystery as to why we were playing on the road at all.

I'm sorry that Delaware had a down year this year, really. But if you're going to get upset like that, well...nevermind, I'm done here. Didn't want to get snippy, sorry, it happens.

I'm not upset at all that Delaware didn't get in. We did not deserve to get in even if we finished at 8-3. We currently are not that good and I don't think at our best we could win a NC with our current defense and that is the point of our playoff system.

Yes I have read bylaw Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA Manual, #2 ad infinitum since 2003 and one team ALWAYS GETS THE SHAFT despite the rule. If you had paid attention in the last few years you would know that. In 2004 JMU got the worst deal in the playoffs and still won it all. Furman folks should take note.

As far as this team is concerned Furman is in because so many teams are 7-4. Furman would be on the bubble in a year where 8 to 10 teams are 8-3 and have the same credentials as Furman. This year favors any 8-3 team and that is to Furman's credit.

As far as traveling all the way to Richmond in 2005 this only confirms my view that Furman fans will whine about anything that doesn't go their way. Richmonds credentials were equal to Furman's but we heard no end to the whining, Something JMU did not do in 2004 when they came to Greenville and won.

As far as this being an isolated incident, Why choose this moment to complain???????

Why not complain about the injustices to JMU in 2004???? Why not complain about the SIU-UD pairing in 2003????

You are seriously late to this party.

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Regionalization is a joke.

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Ok, pretend that I made my argument 3 years ago. And forgive me for not equally taking up the cause of every shafted team in history. I have paid plenty of attention in the past. I-AA football is the only form of college football I've known my entire life. I've watched almost every selection show since I was old enough to know what that was (back when it was on SportsSouth or something random). I understand why you think I'm being annoying, but know that my post was not a "wah for Furman" post, but the same "they need to seed everyone" cry that I've been making ever since they changed the rules.

My point was--can anyone argue against the idea of seeding all 16 teams? Or at least 8?

Seven Would Be Nice
November 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Me too, Im SOOOOOO glad we don't have to deal with that crap this year.

:bawling: :bawling:

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Love that pic, seven. That's probably how many of our guys felt last Saturday.

Well, I doubt they felt like Peter Griffin. Not sure that's possible. But you know what I mean.

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Regionalization sucks big time....especially since it really doesn't exist. Every year some team seems to get screwed. This year it is Furman. Lets suck it up, go to Bozeman, play our hearts out...and hopefully come home to Greenville with another week of the 2006 season.

blukeys...get over yourself...relax and have a beer....its gonna be a long offseason.

Cheers

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM
And last year, the farthest Furman had to travel was Richmond (hardly a huge deal), but Furman posters did complain, simply for the mystery as to why we were playing on the road at all.

First to answer this question, get beat by JMU at home, a team the great and mighty committee just loves to screw and expect no favors in the future. (I hope poster realize I am not bitter but making a sorry attempt at some humor here at our own expense)

Second the obvious reason they don't seed more team is the costs of travel. More teams would have to fly for games, which goes against both the new 9/11 rule and the regionalization suggestion.

Yes, I think we would all agree that would be the most fair, but until the "FCS" has enough money to spread around all the schools for their flights to their games, we'll just have to suck it up and enjoy being invited to the Dance!

Good Luck Furman! I hope you guys will be pulling for us against the "Gateway" rounds as they may be called here. Looking forward to our semi final matchup in ????? *whispers* only the committee knows...

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM
First to answer this question, get beat by JMU at home, a team the great and mighty committee just loves to screw and expect no favors in the future. (I hope poster realize I am not bitter but making a sorry attempt at some humor here at our own expense)

Second the obvious reason they don't seed more team is the costs of travel. More teams would have to fly for games, which goes against both the new 9/11 rule and the regionalization suggestion.

Yes, I think we would all agree that would be the most fair, but until the "FCS" has enough money to spread around all the schools for their flights to their games, we'll just have to suck it up and enjoy being invited to the Dance!

Good Luck Furman! I hope you guys will be pulling for us against the "Gateway" rounds as they may be called here. Looking forward to our semi final matchup in ????? *whispers* only the committee knows...

I'm not sure what it is about James Madison....you come to Greenville and spoil what was probably a National Championship season....and I find myself pulling for them. Maybe it's the purple. Or maybe it's some sinister mind-control scheme.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Or maybe it's some sinister mind-control scheme.

He knows. He must be eliminated.:cool: :cool:

Death Dealer
November 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
As far as traveling all the way to Richmond in 2005 this only confirms my view that Furman fans will whine about anything that doesn't go their way.

Hey, don't make blanket statements like that about all FU fans based on one or two posts......that's not cool Blue. I have n't complained once. Damn man cut Furman some slack, WTF got up your butt.....You don't see me running around jumping on Delaware threads, busting on your boys. F'ing A, dude, you got a beef with Larry? PM him or something, but don't just go out on a tear against all FU posters in general.

kardplayer
November 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
The pairs are as reginnalized as possible, but when you have Montana and Montana State in and UMass and Youngstown both getting seeds, by definition at least 2 teams have to get screwed.

A bunch of pairs are "perfect":
1. The closest unseeded, non-A10 team to UMass is Lafayette. They're playing each other.
2. The closest team to Illinois State is Eastern Illinois. They're playing each other.
3. The closest team to UT Martin is Southern Illinois. They're playing each other.
4. App State, Furman, and Coastal are close to each other - Coastal is playing App State. This puts Furman "in play"...
5. McNeese has to get on a plane anyway, so it makes sense they'd go to Montana.

Once you make the above happen, the closest remaining school to Youngstown is James Madison. Obviously, they're closer to Hampton, and I think you could make an easy argument that UNH could go to Youngstown, and I wouldn't disagree.

Nonetheless, Furman still plays Montana State.

kardplayer
November 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I've got this all drawn out in Powerpoint if anyone wants to see it :)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Does your presentation end with a big giant purple

F U

:D :D :D

Death Dealer
November 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
The pairs are as reginnalized as possible, but when you have Montana and Montana State in and UMass and Youngstown both getting seeds, by definition at least 2 teams have to get screwed.

1. The closest unseeded, non-A10 team to UMass is Lafayette. They're playing each other.
2. The closest team to Illinois State is Eastern Illinois. They're playing each other.
3. The closest team to UT Martin is Southern Illinois. They're playing each other.
4. App State, Furman, and Coastal are close to each other - Coastal is playing App State. This puts Furman "in play"...
5. McNeese has to get on a plane anyway, so it makes sense they'd go to Montana.

Once you make the above happen, the closest remaining school to Youngstown is James Madison. Obviously, they're closer to Hampton, and I think you could make an easy argument that UNH could go to Youngstown, and I wouldn't disagree.

Yeah, somebody was gonna fly out there, so it turned out to be us.....sucks that is so far, but if it wasn't us then it would have been someone else....it was our turn. I wish I could make it, but there's no way with a new baby in the house and we're having my entire family out to the lake for Thanksgiving! My wife would slit my sack and pull it over my head if I tried to pull that ****!

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM
There is NO reason for Furman to be traveling to MSU, let alone MSU getting a home game for the playoffs being the last team in.

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
My wife would slit my sack and pull it over my head if I tried to pull that ****!

Does your wife happen to be a cheerleader for VMI? Those chicks kick some A$$.:lmao:

CHEERS

appst97
November 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM

In this senario, it seems MSU @ YSU and Furple @ JMU would be much more regional/logical

rcny46
November 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
...like they claim...

I don't think you're guilty of whining;you're just stating the obvious.

Purple Knight
November 20th, 2006, 10:12 PM
blukey, you looked real good in your last game. You are a 'by the rules kind of guy'. Logic probably passed you by. If I think Furman is lucky to be in, the inclusion of MSU is a gift based on the felt need to have two Big Sky teams. But to host? That's wild. By the way, 'stick it in your ear.'

kardplayer
November 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
In this senario, it seems MSU @ YSU and Furple @ JMU would be much more regional/logical

JMU is closer to Youngstown than it is to Furman...

AndrewFU21
November 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I just hope we can get to a point where they seed the top 16 teams, because to me that is the fairest and most honest way to do things. In the meantime, the 16 teams in the field have to be happy that they have a chance to play for the National Championship. I can think of a few things worse than having our boys headed to Montana this week:nod:

kardplayer
November 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
From a regional perspective, I'd have rather seen Furman play Coastal and Montana State fly to App State.

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Hey, don't make blanket statements like that about all FU fans based on one or two posts......that's not cool Blue. I have n't complained once. Damn man cut Furman some slack, WTF got up your butt.....You don't see me running around jumping on Delaware threads, busting on your boys. F'ing A, dude, you got a beef with Larry? PM him or something, but don't just go out on a tear against all FU posters in general.

Not making the statement based on one or two post but based on some threads from last year. However DD you were not involved in those threads and hereby are excluded from my blanket statement. Please accept my apology if I have offended you.

You are free to jump on any Delaware thread this year. Your comments will probably be more kind to the Hens than any of the Delaware posters as we are all in a foul mood about this year's team. (And last year's team as well)

If you have followed my posts at all over the years I have been more supportive of Furman than any SoCon team and Yes I winced when Martin slipped on the Kidd Brewer Turf last year.

My post was directed at one other post and was meant to say. "This Stuff happens all the time. Get over it play the game and Win".

Since I have Furman winning this game in my pools I still feel the same.

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
blukey, you looked real good in your last game. You are a 'by the rules kind of guy'. Logic probably passed you by. If I think Furman is lucky to be in, the inclusion of MSU is a gift based on the felt need to have two Big Sky teams. But to host? That's wild. By the way, 'stick it in your ear.'

Agreed MSU is REALLY lucky to host this game and in my view they should not be hosting this game. Is that the main Furman gripe????? Say so and start a thread.

I prefer Furman as the home team in this matchup. I think MSU is even luckier to be in the playoffs than Furman.

Death Dealer
November 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Not making the statement based on one or two post but based on some threads from last year. However DD you were not involved in those threads and hereby are excluded from my blanket statement. Please accept my apology if I have offended you.

You are free to jump on any Delaware thread this year. Your comments will probably be more kind to the Hens than any of the Delaware posters as we are all in a foul mood about this year's team. (And last year's team as well)

If you have followed my posts at all over the years I have been more supportive of Furman than any SoCon team and Yes I winced when Martin slipped on the Kidd Brewer Turf last year.

My post was directed at one other post and was meant to say. "This Stuff happens all the time. Get over it play the game and Win".

Since I have Furman winning this game in my pools I still feel the same.

Cool. Thanks. Better luck next year, thanks for picking us in your pool....I hope we don't f'ck it up for you!

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Cool. Thanks. Better luck next year, thanks for picking us in your pool....I hope we don't f'ck it up for you!

Thanks as well. We need more help on the Defensive side of the ball then one year can cure.

As for the pool if you guys screw up you can always buy me a drink in Crapsville!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2006, 11:18 PM

In the end, I agree with your sentiment. I sure as heck hope that is how the team feels. Your post seemed to be more of an attack than that, though, and that is why I acted adversely. For that, I apologize.

Still, since my opinion of NCAA selection doesn't matter on the field of play, I will continue to question their decision-making. I have the right to do so, and we have the right to discuss it, even if it is the same conversation every year. But in the end, I deal with it, and pull for my team, whether it is hunched over a radio or in my proper place in the front row of the student section.

blukeys
November 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
In the end, I agree with your sentiment. I sure as heck hope that is how the team feels. Your post seemed to be more of an attack than that, though, and that is why I acted adversely. For that, I apologize.

Still, since my opinion of NCAA selection doesn't matter on the field of play, I will continue to question their decision-making. I have the right to do so, and we have the right to discuss it, even if it is the same conversation every year. But in the end, I deal with it, and pull for my team, whether it is hunched over a radio or in my proper place in the front row of the student section.

No attack. This appears to be an every year controversy. I have no clue how MSU got a home game and we will probably not know for a few weeks. I do trust Ralph and his minions to ferret out this info though.

I guess my reaction is more to the fact that there has been a controversy every year since 2001 on this issue and in the end, In my view, The best team has won. This includes Montana in '01, Western Ky. in '02, Delaware in '03, James Madison in '04 and Appalachian State in '05.

While we all can argue and debate the particulars of who should play who I know of no one who will argue that the teams listed above were not the most deserving of being National Champions. That in the end is what our playoff system is about.
Yes you could argue, as many have, that a weak team in the first round could help your road to a NC but History does not support that contention.

There are no gurantees in the playoffs. You just have to win.

Some recent examples from the first round:

Eventual NC Delaware in 2003 is matched up against Southern Illinois in the first round. Delaware is ranked anywhere from 2nd to 5th depending on the poll. SIU is ranked from 3rd to 6th depending on the poll.

Delaware blows out SIU and moves on.

Eventual NC JMU in 2004 wins by one over Lehigh. Most thought Lehigh (who was the home team) would lose big time but they hung tough and gave JMU a better game than Montana did at Chatty.

2005 App State slides by Lafayette in the 1st game of the playoffs. They are also fortunate when Ingle Martin slips on a TD run in the semis.

I am in favor of seeding but to date no one has provided me any evidence that seeding would change who our NC would be. The best I have heard is that some teams make it to the 2nd level who lost in the first round. I don't know how this rises to the level of a great injustice. The goal of the playoffs is to crown a NC. Unless a potential NC is left out I am not sure where the great injustice has occurred.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
After the last few years of looking at the playoff seedings, I just shrug my shoulders. It really makes little sense to me.

gsugt1
November 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
I just hate the fact that ASU might meet Furman in the 2nd round. At least they could have put some conference foes on the other side of the bracket, but it looks like the possibility of having some conference rematches as early as the 2nd round. Semis at least would be fine, but not the 2nd round.

We played App a few times in the 2nd round and then played Furman once. If Furman had won a few more games we would have played them in the semi's more too.

OL FU
November 21st, 2006, 07:48 AM
From what I understand blukeys hasn't been getting out much lately and the lack of sun is playing with his mind. Of course, his creative energy is being drained by something other than paying attention to football threads or he would have never criticized the absolute best and most deserving university, football team and group of fans that have ever beaten Delaware.:smiley_wi :p

Now blukeys whatever you have been doing lately you have fun and you think about how all your friends miss you :nod:

and wish they were you:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :thumbsup:

PS at least we are going to go to cold and wintry Bozeman and are not like Ivy's. If they can't play with the big boys they are not going to play

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits/images/Miscellaneous/aurora-mad.JPG

henfan
November 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM
I just hope we can get to a point where they seed the top 16 teams, because to me that is the fairest and most honest way to do things.

Honest? You're kidding, right? What's any more honest about a committee ranking and bracketing teams in a completely subjective competitive order? How does seeding 16 teams help to make the playoffs more economically sound? How is it fairer for all the student-athletes, coaches and their families and fans involved to be randomly flying teams across the country on Thanksgiving weekend based entirely on something as subjective as seedings? Let's hear your plan about how you'd make the tournament fairer, while, at the same time, not drown it in red ink.

The devil is in the details, Andrew. What seems logical on the surface may be a steaming pile of crap when you really examine it. The NCAA hasn't followed strict seedings because it just doesn't make sense/cents. At the end of the day, they want to present a self-sufficient tournament that's as fair as they can make it. There's always going to be a few teams who think they got the short end of the stick, no matter what the system is. Your delusional if you think seeding every team will minimize controversy.

Kardplayer, thank you for the insightful analysis.

AndrewFU21
November 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
It is more honest because you know where the committee stands on all the teams, you know who the last team to get in was, who was closest to getting a seed, etc. I never said it was the most economically feasible thing, but it would be the most fair way to determine a champion. Notice that I said "I hope we can get to a point...", I never said that seeding all 16 teams was something they could/should do right now.

OL FU
November 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM
From a pure football stanpoint, they should seed all 16.
If they seeded all 16 we would be arguing about how they seeded them so nothing really changes except that you know what has to happen to get a home game.

We are in this division because of economics. Economics have to rule the brackets. I realize Furman going to Montana State is not economical, but since there are so few Western teams, somebody is going to have to make the long trip. East or West

PS, I heard MSU bid $200,000. Don't know if that is bull or not but I know we (FU) would not have gotten close to that.

henfan
November 21st, 2006, 12:12 PM
It is more honest because you know where the committee stands on all the teams, you know who the last team to get in was, who was closest to getting a seed, etc. I never said it was the most economically feasible thing, but it would be the most fair way to determine a champion.

I disagree completely. You can't simply ignore critical, real life issues like financing the tournament and the best interests of the students and the fans. These issues are far more important then the committee trying to split a hair in determining which teams get ranked 7, 8 or 9, etc.

From the competitive standpoint, seeding 16 teams wouldn't provide a fairer way to determine a champion. The artificial ranking, seeding and bracketing of teams according to the subjective competitive evaluations of a committee isn't going to make the playing field any more level. If anything, it only opens the door to different sets of controversy.

In a perfect world, devoid of concerns for the student-athletes and financial considerations, and assuming there was a sure-fire, 'no doubt about it' way to competitively rank teams, then yeah, your system would work. (Even better, all the games could be played at a neutral site half-way between the two teams involved so that neither side has an unfair competitive advantage. How far will we take it?) Alas, we live in the real world, these are college students we're talking about, and D-I's cost containment level has a finite budget.

I don't think it would be the worst thing to seed 8 teams IF the NCAA could find a way to make the economics work. The playoffs will still need to be regionalized to some extent to minimize travel and costs. Teams are still going to need to win 4 games (including one on the road) to win the championship.