PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Confernce

Danielr11220
May 17th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Think this is a good idea?

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150516/PC20/150519418

Sorry on my phone can't add more here at the moment.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2015, 07:34 AM
The article seems to overlook that College of Charleston was in a conference with far less travel and populated by a majority of teams from the Carolinas. They decided to leave.

PAllen
May 17th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Sorry, but WCU has about as much in common with Davidson as LSU does with Rice. Just another guy with no clue pretending to be a "journalist".

OL FU
May 17th, 2015, 12:39 PM
The article seems to overlook that College of Charleston was in a conference with far less travel and populated by a majority of teams from the Carolinas. They decided to leave.

That was my take. His article seemed to focus on Cof C who just left a conference that was much closer to what he was describing.

rokamortis
May 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM
That was my take. His article seemed to focus on Cof C who just left a conference that was much closer to what he was describing.

He was adamantly opposed to CofC joining the CAA. This is just his latest attempt to further his agenda.

WestCoastAggie
May 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Isn't the Big South something similar to what the piece is alluding to?

Jiggs
May 18th, 2015, 11:15 AM

Ditto for Elon.

OL FU
May 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM
He was adamantly opposed to CofC joining the CAA. This is just his latest attempt to further his agenda.

Does he travel with CofC on his beat? Maybe he doesn't like to travel:)

melloware13
May 18th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Does he travel with CofC on his beat? Maybe he doesn't like to travel:) Allergic to traffic maybe (although Charlotte is no slouch in that competition)

Tribe4SF
May 19th, 2015, 12:09 PM
He also ignores NCCU and NC A&T.

PAllen
May 19th, 2015, 12:32 PM
He also ignores NCCU and NC A&T.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want this to get all racial.

walliver
May 19th, 2015, 01:04 PM
It's interesting that the SoCon and a lot of its carolina teams think quite the opposite of the writer. The SoCon has recently lost 4 Carolina teams (ASU, Davy, Elon, and CofC) and replaced them with teams from Tennessee and Virginia.

There are cost savings with regionalization, but when the geography is reduced too much, conferences suffer with a lack or publicity, reduced recruiting footprint, etc.

Mr. Sapakoff has written some rather strange editorials lately. Sometimes I'm not sure whether it is poorly executed satire, or if he is off his meds.

Jiggs
May 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM
...and replaced them with teams from Tennessee and Virginia.

and Georgia.

walliver
May 19th, 2015, 01:33 PM
and Georgia.

I figured that Mercer replaced a Georgia team (GSU), so they cancelled each other out.

There was a net replacement of 4 Carolina teams by a Virginia team and a Tennessee team..

WileECoyote06
May 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want this to get all racial.

It won't. You didn't post anything 'racial/racist'. And neither did the original writer. However, I highly doubt Elon and Davidson would ever align themselves with Campbell or High Point again, so what may work for SC will fall on its face in NC.

Other than that, a twenty team conference, half-private, half-public would be lucky to last five years.