PDA

View Full Version : Who will pull the upset?? Vote!

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Who will pull the first-round upset this year? They always seem to happen!

Nominees are....

Eastern Illinois
Lafayette
UT-Martin
Coastal Carolina
McNeese St.
Hampton

(JMU, Furman wins would not be upsets IMO)

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Hehe, we are such homers!! Two votes for LC!!

Pard94
November 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hehe, we are such homers!! Two votes for LC!!

Make it three!

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
All of 'em!

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I voted UT-M.

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Eastern Illinois - maybe but NO
Lafayette - NO WAY
UT-Martin - Possible - only b/c SIll has trouble in playoffs
Coastal Carolina - Could be - but HIGHLY unlikely
McNeese St. - Too Cold and Too YOUNG
Hampton - Best Bet - But UNH is seasoned in playoffs
Hampton needs to prove they are worthy of home Field

and legit power.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM
UT-Martin...SIU is not a playoff team when it actually comes to playing in the playoffs. :cool:

hawkeye
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Who will pull the first-round upset this year? They always seem to happen!

Nominees are....

Eastern Illinois
Lafayette
UT-Martin
Coastal Carolina
McNeese St.
Hampton

I agree with you Pard4Life on JMU and Furman. UTM would be an upset based on being from OVC ect. , but.... this years team is much different. We are so freaking ready to line up Saturday against SIU. :nod:

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Agree, both games are even matches.

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Agree, both games are even matches.

i would be surprised if Furman lost.

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Glad to see the Youngstown ST / JMU game is on ESPN#2. Should be very good!!!!!!!!!!

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM

MSU's home field advantage will keep this close. I still say FU wins 24-20, only to lose to Appalachian State in a close one. I hope they beat Appy State, though.

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Bill -
Hope u guys win - it is going to be a really good game.

I'm old school - GSU Ytown Montana Delaware and throw in an ocasional Umass

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I really like UT Martin's chances.

I like Coastal's chances to, but not because I don't think ASU is good, but because I think Coastal is underrated.

Lafayette71
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Glad to see the Youngstown ST / JMU game is on ESPN#2. Should be very good!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree this is appointment College Football. Hopeful I have some measure of sobriety left to appreciate the game after the UMASS/LC game

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
71, you going to Amherst?

ISUMatt
November 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I hope all games are on ESPNGameplan so I can record a few again...I will be one of MANY in red in Charleston IL this weekend!!!

Chucktown
November 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
EIU is looking for some revenge against ISU. ISU isn't playing their best football lately, and EIU is peaking. They also have this game at home---

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I voted UT-M.

Good call!

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Gosh seems like everybody is hating on Montana State just because we got in.

SirApp
November 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
UT-Martin Skyhawks

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Anybody know what the line is on the JMU @YSU game? (Vegas has a line on about everything) Its rare that the oddsmakers have over/under right at even. My guess YSU at home would be +plus 2-3, which would make them favored, and if JMU won that would technically be an upset, so I'm going with the write in vote here for JMU.

Griswold
November 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Anybody know what the line is on the JMU @YSU game? (Vegas has a line on about everything) Its rare that the oddsmakers have over/under right at even. My guess YSU at home would be +plus 2-3, which would make them favored, and if JMU won that would technically be an upset, so I'm going with the write in vote here for JMU.

It seemed like last year the only game I saw a line for was the NC game.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Gosh seems like everybody is hating on Montana State just because we got in.

Its weird just the other day I saw my very first Montana State sticker (hey, I'm from New Jersey). Anyway, I honked and waved (I love doing weird ***** like that!) as a good friend and co-worker of mine who used to work for Hanna Autowash Int'l. in Portland, Oregon is a MSU alum. He would follow Lafayette and we would chat about our respective teams when I called him to place an order for Hanna wash robots for our Texaco account.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM

+2 is underdog
YSU would have to be -2 to be favored. I Doubt you will find a line for this game.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Its weird just the other day I saw my very first Montana State sticker (hey, I'm from New Jersey). Anyway, I honked and waved (I love doing weird ***** like that!) as a good friend and co-worker of mine who used to work for Hanna Autowash Int'l. in Portland, Oregon is a MSU alum. He would follow Lafayette and we would chat about our respective teams when I called him to place an order for Hanna wash robots for our Texaco account.

xlolx

You must have scared him good! Waving and being friendly in NJ is odd... even dangerous :D

BigApp
November 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I took McNeese. If only because it took a wealth of intestinal fortitude to end the season like they did and make it into the playoffs. Especially after their coach was fired.

Retro
November 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Eastern Illinois - maybe but NO
Lafayette - NO WAY
UT-Martin - Possible - only b/c SIll has trouble in playoffs
Coastal Carolina - Could be - but HIGHLY unlikely
McNeese St. - Too Cold and Too YOUNG
Hampton - Best Bet - But UNH is seasoned in playoffs
Hampton needs to prove they are worthy of home Field

and legit power.

Montana had to come from behind and beat mcneese in 1994 in a team that probably a little more experienced than this one and that was in the snow.. Cold weather doesn't phase mcneese like it does the other SLC teams who get blown out in montana.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I didn't vote, mine would be none of the above.:eyebrow:

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Montana had to come from behind and beat mcneese in 1994 in a team that probably a little more experienced than this one and that was in the snow.. Cold weather doesn't phase mcneese like it does the other SLC teams who get blown out in montana.

Retro, that was 12 years ago. Completly different teams. If McNeese does some how pull out a "w" it will be a major upset. That being said, I hope the Cowboys do the SLC well. :nod:

HailToTheChants
November 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
This time I had to be a homer.

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hampton is capable....

Saluki_man
November 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I think EIU has the best chance of pulling one, but I think they will fall short. The reason, paybacks are a b****.

I cannot see UT-Martin pulling an upset, people are refering to the past playoff performances. The past doesn't matter, only this season does. SIU has had only one real bad game (IL St) the other two losses were down to the wire games. I will always take the team peaking at playoff time and SIU is definatly peaking.

BrevardMountaineer03
November 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think that there really will be an upset....having to pick I choose EIU...since Furman wasn't on the list. (If you consider Furman an upset win at MSU.)

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
+2 is underdog
YSU would have to be -2 to be favored. I Doubt you will find a line for this game.

Oops, my bad. Don't gamble (well, rarely have).

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I took McNeese. If only because it took a wealth of intestinal fortitude to end the season like they did and make it into the playoffs. Especially after their coach was fired.

Montana has a far better team. If you look at where teams rank statistically the only place McNeese ranks highly is turnover margin. But Montana is ranked highly there too.

This McNeese team, I think, has more speed at the skill positions on offense than any I-AA McNeese team I can recall. But I don't know how much that's going to help them in the frigid north against a great I-AA defense. And, though they've made progress, this is not a McNeese defense quite there yet with respect to the historical standards of the program.

But...all you can do is strap it up, play as hard as you can, and see what happens.

Also...I almost kind of hate to say this because I supported Tommy Tate...but the new coach may be a better tactician. I pretty much think he'd be undefeated if it hadn't been for an uncharacteristic -6 in the giveaway/takeaway stat against Texas State. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. He appears to be a very cerebral coach that's good at preparing for particular opponents and coming up with different things. And I think there's been a general trend toward McNeese getting better since he took over. Just an impression...it's hard to tell because the toughest opponents were at the beginning of the season (South Florida, Toledo, South Dakota State).

All that said, it's obvious that Montana is a heavy favorite in this game and should be.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
UT-Martin...SIU is not a playoff team when it actually comes to playing in the playoffs. :cool:
SIU playoff record:
5-4
One National Title

Much better than Martin's playoff record. Oh, wait. They don't have one.

http://www.salukitalk.net/st/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

GrizFamily
November 20th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I vote nobody.

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
This must be an underdog homer poll.:doh:

GrizFanIRAQ
November 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I would pick Furman...I dont think those boys from South Carolina are gonna be ready for a FROZEN field, with blowing wind and snow in the high teens to low 20's!!! Sorr, but you cant prepare for those circumstances without actually having them!!! MSU is already used to it so good luck Furman!!!

Retro
November 20th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Retro, that was 12 years ago. Completly different teams. If McNeese does some how pull out a "w" it will be a major upset. That being said, I hope the Cowboys do the SLC well. :nod:

You're missing the point! Mcneese has historically played well regardless of weather conditions on road games.. In 1997, also a different and young team, we won at western illinois (wet and cold) and at delaware (very cold). Point is, we haven't folded like other SLC teams have done in similar weather and we've been through it a lot more than anyone else in the past 2 years and still rose to the occasion.. It's the winning tradition and attitude !xcoffeex

blukeys
November 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM
You're missing the point! Mcneese has historically played well regardless of weather conditions on road games.. In 1997, also a different and young team, we won at western illinois (wet and cold) and at delaware (very cold). Point is, we haven't folded like other SLC teams have done in similar weather and we've been through it a lot more than anyone else in the past 2 years and still rose to the occasion.. It's the winning tradition and attitude !xcoffeex

Retro while I respect your point about McNeese playing well on the road, the 1997 game at Delaware was not overly cold by Mid Atlantic standards in December. I was there it was a very Sunny day and not windy. I have been to MUCH COLDER games at Delaware Stadium and there is no way that that game was anywhere close to the worst.

I have no clue what McNeese fans consider cold but the '97 game in Newark was nowhere near a really cold game by our standards.

ngineer
November 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I sent the 'pards some love. Actually, I think they have a lot going for them. MOmentum, a physical OL with a bruising TB, a savvy QB and two quality receivers. Defense will have to take some chances to throw off the UMass ground game, but I think the Minutemen will see that 6-5 record from the PL and have half their brains thinking of the next round.

Retro
November 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Retro while I respect your point about McNeese playing well on the road, the 1997 game at Delaware was not overly cold by Mid Atlantic standards in December. I was there it was a very Sunny day and not windy. I have been to MUCH COLDER games at Delaware Stadium and there is no way that that game was anywhere close to the worst.

I have no clue what McNeese fans consider cold but the '97 game in Newark was nowhere near a really cold game by our standards.

Just because it wasn't windy and it was sunny doesn't mean it wasn't cold? I would think cold to us is below 50 during the day, just like above 75 is hot to you, while perfect for us.
Either way it was much colder than we normally would play in or any other SLC team..

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Definitely Hampton over UNH.

Hampton has the best statistical pass defense in I-AA/FCS, which means New Hampshire will probably have to establish the run to be effective.

The pirates should also be able to run and play-action pass effectively against what may be the weakest defense in the field of 16.

Plus, Hampton has a clear advantage in special teams.

The intangibles don't bode well for the wildcats, either, since they're on the road and only 3-3 in their last six games.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Just because it wasn't windy and it was sunny doesn't mean it wasn't cold? I would think cold to us is below 50 during the day, just like above 75 is hot to you, while perfect for us.
Either way it was much colder than we normally would play in or any other SLC team..

With that being said....I think your boys will be lucky to have temps above 30 degrees. The HIGH is suppose to be 31 and a LOW of 18 :nod: on Saturday in Missoula. Also to go along with slight winds and a 30 to 40 percent chance of snow!!

Here's a link for ya to our local weather!!!
http://www.missoulian.com/missoula_weather/

GreatAppSt
November 21st, 2006, 11:28 AM
HAMPTON!!!:nod:

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM

Prepare to be surprised. :cool: :cool: :nod:

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM

The big one that year as far as "coldness" was the Western Illinois game. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe it was below 10 F. Maybe something like 7 or so.

Peems
November 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Definitely Hampton over UNH.

Hampton has the best statistical pass defense in I-AA/FCS, which means New Hampshire will probably have to establish the run to be effective.

The pirates should also be able to run and play-action pass effectively against what may be the weakest defense in the field of 16.

Plus, Hampton has a clear advantage in special teams.

The intangibles don't bode well for the wildcats, either, since they're on the road and only 3-3 in their last six games.

as mentioned previously stats mean diddly. Hampton didnt play the toughest of competition so stats can be skewed. Example: When the Griz played Weber State this year they were one of the top rated pass defenses in the nation and the best in the big sky. That day Swogger had his best game of the year and the offense looked solid. Hampton may have the best pass defense but i dont think they have faced the talent of ball and santos.

igo4uni
November 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM
I voted Hampton..........just cuz.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Peems.
as mentioned previously stats mean diddly. Hampton didnt play the toughest of competition so stats can be skewed. Example: When the Griz played Weber State this year they were one of the top rated pass defenses in the nation and the best in the big sky. That day Swogger had his best game of the year and the offense looked solid. Hampton may have the best pass defense but i dont think they have faced the talent of ball and santos.

That may be true, but I still don't think New Hampshire's defense will stop Hampton's offense, especially the way UNH has played over the last month and a half.

Stats aren't an automatic indicator (Montana's games against NAU and ISU would also prove that), but, playing the percentages, I would pick Hampton, especially since they're at home.

DaGriz
November 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
This McNeese team, I think, has more speed at the skill positions on offense than any I-AA McNeese team I can recall.

Great, that's really wonderful:bang: . I still remember how fast that BJ Sams (I think that's his name) was. If they're faster than that, that's not good.

DaGriz
November 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Prepare to be surprised. :cool: :cool: :nod:

I agree. One thing about Montana State, their defense has speed serious speed. "If" Furman's strength is the run game MSU should do well.

----On a way way side note, I heard with Aaron Rogers of the Green Bay Packers breaking his foot and out for the year, that Ingle Martin had been elevated to second string. Nice for Furman fans.

McNeese75
November 21st, 2006, 10:42 PM
Great, that's really wonderful:bang: . I still remember how fast that BJ Sams (I think that's his name) was. If they're faster than that, that's not good.

:nod: They are faster and there are more of em

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
Hampton will have a real shootout on their hands there... and anything can happen in a shootout...
I'm really hoping for McNeese though since Montana has probably the easiest time ahead of them than anyone else for the first two rounds.

CopperCat
November 22nd, 2006, 12:18 AM

How so? Enlighten us please.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM
With no intended disrespect toward UMass, I picked Lafayette. This is, in effect, their second playoff game since they had to beat Lehigh just to get in. UMass clinched the Auto Bid two weeks ago, so they may not be on top of their game.

chiapet9
November 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
so - no one has pulled the upset. NOBODY. not one team. a little disappointing. (the coastal/app st. game isn't over yet...but that one is pretty much done anyway.

Saluki_man
November 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
so - no one has pulled the upset. NOBODY. not one team. a little disappointing. (the coastal/app st. game isn't over yet...but that one is pretty much done anyway.

Does this mean that the upsets come in the second round??:D

rcny46
November 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM

We've still got the game between JMU and Youngstown,but I don't know how you pick an underdog or a favorite with two programs like this going at it.

chiapet9
November 25th, 2006, 04:57 PM
right - i think that JMU is "technically" the underdog because they're not seeded and they're paying IN youngstown. so - hopefully they'll pull through because seriously...its no fun if there isn't an upset in the first round.