PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harbaugh still doesnt step up to the plate

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Toreros Do Not Receive Bid to Playoffs
USD Will Now Focus on UC Davis and Gridiron Classic

Nov. 19, 2006

(San Diego, CA) - The USD Toreros gathered as a team this morning to watch the NCAA Football Championship Selection Show on ESPNews, but didn't get their name announced as one of eight at-large teams selected. San Diego will now hit the practice field today and get ready for Saturday's contest at UC Davis, followed by the Gridiron Classic on December 2nd against Monmouth University in West Long Branch, New Jersey. "We have tremendous respect for these playoffs, and this format is the best way to crown a national champion," said head coach Jim Harbaugh. "The way our players played this season is the reason we were in this position. There are 16 deserving teams and our team played well enough to receive strong consideration. I believe they felt our presence and we will continue to knock on the door of the playoffs, and do what we do best - compete, compete, compete. Our focus now is on UC Davis."

Jim Harbaugh still doesnt step up to the plate and announce that there schedule simply sucks. Yes they played well against sorry teams. Just like Poly showed yesterday against Savannah St. its easy to look good when you play the bottom 20% of the CS. Poly would put up number like they did with that schedule.

***Yes USD another USD thread started by a non USD guy***:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

putter
November 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't care what Harbaugh says publically. However, he should be meeting with the AD about their schedule in the upcoming years. They have the ball rolling in San Diego and need to build from here..

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I don't care what Harbaugh says publically. However, he should be meeting with the AD about their schedule in the upcoming years. They have the ball rolling in San Diego and need to build from here..

Please. hes crossing his fingers hoping to be plucked from San Diego and taken to the big time in Iowa State... Oh how I hope the Nebraska assistant gets that job xlolx xlolx xlolx

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM

San Diego is literally hundreds of miles from its nearest opponents, and a lot of I-AA schools simply aren't interested in scheduling non-scholarship teams.

Put another way, would your school add San Diego next year at the expense of a scholarship-level opponent?

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Poly tried this year. they said no

SDFan
November 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Toreros Do Not Receive Bid to Playoffs
USD Will Now Focus on UC Davis and Gridiron Classic

Nov. 19, 2006

(San Diego, CA) - The USD Toreros gathered as a team this morning to watch the NCAA Football Championship Selection Show on ESPNews, but didn't get their name announced as one of eight at-large teams selected. San Diego will now hit the practice field today and get ready for Saturday's contest at UC Davis, followed by the Gridiron Classic on December 2nd against Monmouth University in West Long Branch, New Jersey. "We have tremendous respect for these playoffs, and this format is the best way to crown a national champion," said head coach Jim Harbaugh. "The way our players played this season is the reason we were in this position. There are 16 deserving teams and our team played well enough to receive strong consideration. I believe they felt our presence and we will continue to knock on the door of the playoffs, and do what we do best - compete, compete, compete. Our focus now is on UC Davis."

Jim Harbaugh still doesnt step up to the plate and announce that there schedule simply sucks. Yes they played well against sorry teams. Just like Poly showed yesterday against Savannah St. its easy to look good when you play the bottom 20% of the CS. Poly would put up number like they did with that schedule.

***Yes USD another USD thread started by a non USD guy***:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I aplaud Coach Harbaugh for saying such wise words. Classy quotes by the man.

If you were a coach, you would know you never say negative things about your team. By not saying anything, he showed that he truely knows what a coach's role is. You don't bag on your school or your team or your administration. You make the best of every situation. I find it a little insulting that you expect a coach to put his team and administration down. That's all just my opinion, but well said Coach Harbaugh.

kdinva
November 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Uh, if you want to participate in the 1-AA playoffs, don't schedule a regular-season game on the 4th Saturday of November.:confused: :rolleyes:

Nyghtewynd
November 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
San Diego is literally hundreds of miles from its nearest opponents, and a lot of I-AA schools simply aren't interested in scheduling non-scholarship teams.

Put another way, would your school add San Diego next year at the expense of a scholarship-level opponent?

Nope, and if MSU did that I'd be wanting to strangle someone for not understanding schedule strength or how to schedule to get into the playoffs. When you play non-scholarship football, you save money but give up other things in exchange. The playoffs are one of the things that you give up.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
the big time in Iowa State.

The words "big time" and "Iowa State" do not belong in the same sentence!!

Go...gate
November 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM

If you are an eastern team, YES, for national recruiting purposes.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM
USD could save money by joining the Great West. then they dont have to travel all over the damn place.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I am not asking for the coach to call them out. you can say something about going to make sure next season the schedule is a lot stronger. so its not even close

blukeys
November 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM

If you were a coach, you would know you never say negative things about your team. By not saying anything, he showed that he truely knows what a coach's role is. You don't bag on your school or your team or your administration. You make the best of every situation. I find it a little insulting that you expect a coach to put his team and administration down. That's all just my opinion, but well said Coach Harbaugh.

No if Harbaugh wanted to be honest and forthright he would have said

"We have tremendous respect for these playoffs, and this format is the best way to crown a national champion," said head coach Jim Harbaugh. "The way our players played this season is the reason we were in this position. There are 16 deserving teams and our team played well enough to receive strong consideration.

The playoff selection committee sent a very strong message today that was directed at our current schedule. At the end of the season Our athletic administration needs to address the concerns of the Playoff Selection Committee and make whatever schedule upgrades that would warrant for us the consideration we desire.I believe they felt our presence and we will continue to knock on the door. Next time we will have an improved resume that deals with the concerns that have been expressed"

No knock on the players, no knock on the administration, Just an accurate appraisal of the current situation with the basics of a plan to actually get in the playoffs the right way.

Steven Bryant
November 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Poly tried this year. they said no
USD allready had a game scheduled that week. People keep bringing up USD turning down Cal Poly like it's a big deal, but USD ended up with Davis instead because the schedules matched up (since neither team expected to be in the playoffs). I believe the date Cal Poly had open for USD was the date of the of the San Diego State game. USD wasn't dropping a league game for that.

USD could save money by joining the Great West. then they dont have to travel all over the damn place.
The San Diego Union said the money they'd save on travel would only cover about a third of the football scholarships they'd need to be in the Great West. That's not counting the women's scholarships they'd have to add because of title IX. I could be wrong but I don't think USD would be able to make up these costs in any football revenue as USD will never be anything more than the #2 school in San Diego, and I-AA football is never going to be able to compete with I-A football in the same town.

Realisticly USD's schedule isn't going to improve much if at all in the future. They've played Azuza since the 1960s every year, I don't see them dropping that game. Their league games aren't going to improve, so that leaves a few OOC per year. I'm sure they'll continue to play the Ivies and Patriot teams. Honestly though, this year and next year will probably be the best USD will ever be.

Steve

Husky Alum
November 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
If you are an eastern team, YES, for national recruiting purposes.

Or if you're an eastern team and want to play a game out west for your alumni and your latest hotbed for high school students.

Ergo, Northeastern @ UC-Davis in football next year, and Northeastern @ Cal-Berkley in hoops last year, and NU @ San Diego Crew Race in 2005 (it's one of the best on the west coast).

Yes Davis is a scholy team, but NU would have played @ USD.

89Hen
November 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
For once I agree with the USD fan. The quote seems to me that all he's saying is they were in position to be watching the selection show with interest.

YoUDeeMan
November 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Nope, and if MSU did that I'd be wanting to strangle someone for not understanding schedule strength or how to schedule to get into the playoffs. When you play non-scholarship football, you save money but give up other things in exchange. The playoffs are one of the things that you give up.

Which MSU? :eyebrow: The one which scheduled (and lost) to a D-II and still made the playoffs?

89Hen
November 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Which MSU? :eyebrow: The one which scheduled (and lost) to a D-II and still made the playoffs?
YSU beat two DII's one year and didn't make it. Villanova didn't make it at 8-3 with a DII loss. SO much for the Committee caring about DII games.

usdtoreros
November 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Just a couple notes on San Diego's future schedules. I am betting that next year will not bring too many changes to the schedule (which is disappointing, because I would love to see Josh Johnson face top competition). I also know that they are continuing to schedule Ivy League schools, with contracts with Harvard and Princeton going all the way out to 2019. Not sure the exact years for each team, but it seems like USD/Ivy will continue for years to come. Hopefully they can just replace Azusa/DII games with decent teams.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Just a couple notes on San Diego's future schedules. I am betting that next year will not bring too many changes to the schedule (which is disappointing, because I would love to see Josh Johnson face top competition). I also know that they are continuing to schedule Ivy League schools, with contracts with Harvard and Princeton going all the way out to 2019. Not sure the exact years for each team, but it seems like USD/Ivy will continue for years to come. Hopefully they can just replace Azusa/DII games with decent teams.

Like i said earlier. NDSU vs UND is a perfect example if you are not trying to get to the next level and play some real football. THe rivarly can go out the door. Wake up call USD you play I-AA football in the NCAA Azusa pacific a) doesnt play in the NCAA and b) plays NIAA football

if you want 2 be in the playoffs loose the cupcakes. keep the Ivy leagues loose Dixie St and Pacific

DinoDex200
November 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
The San Diego Union said the money they'd save on travel would only cover about a third of the football scholarships they'd need to be in the Great West. That's not counting the women's scholarships they'd have to add because of title IX.

Steve

AFAIK, Title IX doesn't take into account merely "scholarships offered", but participants. i.e, walk-ons and non-schollies count.

I think we'll get a good idea of exactly how talented this USD team wa...er...is when they square of with UC-Davis, who is probably a mid-level scholarship program.

putter
November 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Have you looked at the geography of the Big Sky Conference? The closest school to Montana is Montana St and they are almost 200 miles away! With the exception of Eastern Washington, the Griz fly to every other school.

Torero Tradition
November 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
AFAIK, Title IX doesn't take into account merely "scholarships offered", but participants. i.e, walk-ons and non-schollies count.

I think we'll get a good idea of exactly how talented this USD team wa...er...is when they square of with UC-Davis, who is probably a mid-level scholarship program.

You do realize that they beat the Playoff Bound at-large Bobcats of Montana State 45-0 right?

:hurray:

UC-Davis is good... and much better than their record!

Stang Fever
November 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Yes they are good. I actually am more excited about the Davis USD game then I am the first round of the playoffs.

AndyK2005
November 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM
San Diego would beat half of these playoff teams.

They will bury UC Davis

ASU Kep
November 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
If San Diego beats UC Davis and goes undefeated next year, I'd put 'em in. Since SD doesn't lose all that much from this year to next, it should be a good barometer. I don't think a team that wins like 30-straight should be held out.

lucchesicourt
November 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
]USD will bury UCD? You have got to be kidding. UCD has played 2 1AA playoff teams and gone 1-1 against them. They lost to TCU (I am sure you would have burried them too), NDSU (who you would have utterly destroyed), and Cal Poly who absolutely sucks compared to USD, Youngstown State who is way overrated (USD should be ranked higher), and SDSU who is only a second place finisher. So yeah, we are 5-5 now, but will be 6-5 on Saturday and have our 37th consectutive winning season. Don't underestimate how good we can be at times, especially at the TOOM. Where many have added an "L" to their schedule.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM

They will bury UC Davis

Dream on.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM

They will bury UC Davis

:thumbsup:

Stang Fever
November 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
NOt going to talk trash either way can just say that i am excited to see the game.

Torero Tradition
November 20th, 2006, 05:31 PM
If anyone gets burried... it will be San Diego. I'm hoping the Toreros keep it close enough to make a game of it, possibly sneaking it out at the end.
Keep in mind, there are teams in the playoffs who were blown out by Davis... San Diego isn't even a playoff team.

Stang Fever
November 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
If anyone gets burried... it will be San Diego. I'm hoping the Toreros keep it close enough to make a game of it, possibly sneaking it out at the end.
Keep in mind, there are teams in the playoffs who were blown out by Davis... San Diego isn't even a playoff team.

USD said that they can beat about half the teams in the top 25. Davis is not ranked now but they were int he top 25 during the season. Blew out Montana St in the playoffs. I cant wait to see what USD does against some competition. A win there just means that you are under scheduling and if you play better teams you can make it next year. A lop sideded victory by davis means that you are not ready just yet.