PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rematches

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
In this year's brackets, ASU has an opportunity to pull a variation of WKU's 2002 championship run, during which the Hilltoppers won a pair of regular-season-rematches.

The difference is WKU lost to McNeese and Western Illinois in the regular season, then defeated both teams en route to the title. ASU's rematches would be against teams they've already beaten.

ASU COULD see two regular-season rematches and a recent-season rematch on the way to Chattanooga. That's a big "COULD," of course (except for recent-season CCU in the 1st round), since 8 teams have to play a lot of football before anything happens at all.

Usually, the regular-season loser becomes the playoff winner (2005 ASU/Furman, 2002 WKU are classic examples).

I'm curious as to whether the reglar-season loss margin suggests anything about the outcome of the playoff rematch. A possible Furman playoff rematch is cause for anxiety, but the anxiety would be higher for this fan if ASU had won, say 21-18 in Boone instead of 40-7.

Remember that this anxiety/lack thereof is on the part of a fan, and has no effect whatsoever on how the teams prepare. Anybody who says "You Mountaineers are cocky," or "I hope you keep on overlooking so-and-so U," needs to get a clue. Maybe a visit to goasu.com, just to confirm that none of us ASU posters are, in fact, on Jerry Moore's staff or roster, would help a bit.

If the 3-rematch scenario plays itself out completely for ASU, the Mountaineers face teams they've beaten 30-3, 40-7, and 21-10. What does that imply for these rematches, if in fact more than one occurs?

And hey, what about the other rematches/possible rematches in this seasons' playoff field?

Illinois State at Eastern Illinois? (EIU lost to Ill. State, 30-44 back on 9/16)
UMass/New Hampshire? (UMass won 28-20 on 11/4)

and there are more, I'm sure...

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
In this year's brackets, ASU has an opportunity to pull a variation of WKU's 2002 championship run, during which the Hilltoppers won a pair of regular-season-rematches.

The difference is WKU lost to McNeese and Western Illinois in the regular season, then defeated both teams en route to the title. ASU's rematches would be against teams they've already beaten.

ASU COULD see two regular-season rematches and a recent-season rematch on the way to Chattanooga. That's a big "COULD," of course, since 8 teams have to play a lot of football before anything happens at all.

Usually, the regular-season loser becomes the playoff winner (2005 ASU/Furman, 2002 WKU are classic examples).

I'm curious as to whether the reglar-season loss margin suggests anything about the outcome of the playoff rematch. A possible Furman playoff rematch is cause for anxiety, but the anxiety would be higher for this fan if ASU had won, say 21-18 in Boone instead of 40-7.

Remember that this anxiety/lack thereof is on the part of a fan, and has no effect whatsoever on how the teams prepare. Anybody who says "You Mountaineers are cocky," or "I hope you keep on overlooking so-and-so U," needs to get a clue. Maybe a visit to goasu.com, just to confirm that none of us ASU posters are, in fact, on Jerry Moore's staff or roster, would help a bit.

If the 3-rematch scenario plays itself out completely for ASU, the Mountaineers face teams they've beaten 30-3, 40-7, and 21-10. What does that imply for these rematches, if in fact more than one occurs?

And hey, what about the other rematches/possible rematches in this seasons' playoff field?

Illinois State at Eastern Illinois? (EIU lost to Ill. State, 30-44 back on 9/16)
UMass/New Hampshire? (UMass won 28-20 on 11/4)

and there are more, I'm sure...

Its possible that ASU/JMU would have a rematch and if JMU wins that and UNH wins a rematch with Umass UNH could avenge its loss to JMU soo mnay great things could happen in this toruney this year.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
If ILSU and YSU each win, we will have a rematch at Stambaugh in 2 weeks.. Sadly YSU has one hell of a task before then!

howvan
November 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
If ILSU and YSU each win, we will have a rematch at Stambaugh in 2 weeks.. Sadly YSU has one hell of a task before then!
No kidding. Although, if YSU can get through JMU, possibly ISU, and then App State, I'd be feeling very confident going into Chattangooa. One step at a time, of course.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
A possible Furman playoff rematch is cause for anxiety, but the anxiety would be higher for this fan if ASU had won, say 21-18 in Boone instead of 40-7..

Not quite that bad but McNeese beat Western Kentucky 38 - 13 during the 2002 regular season.

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Not quite that bad but McNeese beat Western Kentucky 38 - 13 during the 2002 regular season.
I noticed that...

That has to be the most one-sided regular-season defeat to end in a playoff-rematch win.

Very impressive.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2006, 06:21 PM
The marigin of victory for rematch games is heavily in favor of the team that lost in the regular season. In case anyone was wondering about the records of rematch games in the playoffs, here is a discussion we had about it last year...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6056&highlight=playoff+rematch+games

We counted a total record of 2-10 for teams in playoff games against opponents they beat in the regular season. Of course, we forgot GSU and MTSU in 1985, and we never added App State and Furman last year, so the record so far comes to 2-12. Let me know if we forgot anyone.

HiHiYikas
November 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the notice, IAA_pwns_IA...

A Mr. C post from that thread...

Marshall beat Furman 42-17 in the regular season and 54-0 in the quarterfinals of the 1996 playoffs (with the Herd fans being absolute jerks to the Paladins in the playoff game). Both games were in Huntington, W.V.

I would hope ASU playoff rematches (which, like the regular season games vs. FU and JMU, would be in Boone), turn out more like the Marshall example (with the exception of fans being absolute jerks). A 33-point swing on Furman's part, if the scenario happens that way, would almost certainly be unprecedented, right?

WKU won a playoff rematch by 20 against a McNeese team that beat them by 25 in the regular season.

Montana won a playoff rematch by 21 against a Sam Houston team that beat them by 12 in the regular season (though UM was down 41-10 in the 4th quarter).