PDA

View Full Version : Feelings on new name?

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Im kinda mixed on the killing of 1-AA and renaming it Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision or FCS.
It sounds kinda cheesy to me, especially the SUB part. PLus, its a mouthfull
how do you all feel about it?

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
i will just refer to it simply as FCS

NDSUFREAK
November 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
so when do they change it to FCS Advocate, or FCS Champion?

JDC325
November 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
The SUB part sucks but I will hope it will help in removing of the 1-AA label off of our other sports. I just talked with a guy last week who thought GSU played 1-AA baseball. Good ridance to the 1-AA lable.

griz8791
November 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I went to the yahoo, espn, and cnn-si websites looking for any mention of this new name we are using. I figured I might find a story about today's bracket announcement and maybe even a comment thread with a bunch of I-A fans and press guys popping off about how we have a lot of nerve trying to pretend we're in the same division with them when we all suck and we should all cancel our programs.

Didn't find anything. Zilch. Nada. Not even a link to the bracket under the old name. Crickets chirping.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
keep it I-AA!

bobcatfan06
November 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Take out Sub and just say division.

mainejeff
November 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
How did we go from a Division to a Subdivision :confused:

The new name sucks.

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I-AA all the way!

bustingnut
November 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I-AA

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
When I saw it at first i thought it was a during the playoffs only kinda thing but calling it a championship subdivision even when teams in it CANT play in the playoffs or championship it makes it even worse...

walliver
November 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM

The new name sucks.

At least we didn't become a trailer park:)

The new name is too long and comes across as somewhat pretentious. Most people will probably keep calling us I-AA.

Ralph will probably get carpal tunnel syndrome writing e-mails to all the poorly informed sportswriters who continue to use the "AA word".

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM
It shocked me to see "CS Discussion" when I logged on today. :)

I don't really mind the name change though.

November 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I will not call it FCS because that acronym is already in use by Fox College Sports plus it reeks of BcS. I was told by the NCAA that FCS is for internal use only. They love the CS IS BEST and NO BS IN THE CS.

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 06:13 PM
what should we call it in 3 or less sylables if not FCS?

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
what should we call it in 3 or less sylables if not FCS?
Division I?

(Sorry, too many syllables)

November 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM
what should we call it in 3 or less sylables if not FCS?the CS

GrizDen
November 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM

The new name sucks.

All division 1 teams are now considered to be in a subdivision - at least our universities play for the Championship Subdivision.

With that said, I'm not a big fan of the word " subdivision" - don't see why they couldn't use Championship Division. The guy on ESPNnews with coach Donan stammered over his tongue multiple times trying to get it out right.:o

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I was going to bite my tongue on this but now that I see I'm not alone I have to say that the new name is going to become a nightmare. Already on the selection show today the host couldn't get it right. fans of I-A don't even have the BCS thing figured out and it's what six years old now. Now comes the Division I championship subdvision, give me a break and give me back I-AA. I can see the sports show trying to get this right. "New Hampshire a Div 1 championship subdivision team just upset Northwestern a division 1 team" joe six pack says "why the hell was that an upset when they said New Hampshire won the Championship :confused: It's taking me the last couple of years to explain to my wife about AA I'm not even going to attempt CS :bang:

Keeper
November 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
You could leave it BS & CS
but change subdivision to section or sector.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

aust42
November 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I think the name change will confuse the "uniformed" even more. We are what we are Division 1AA. In college football there are four levels, it was much easier explaining it that way. Now we have Division 1 BSC schools and Division 1 Championship Series. Huh? The name change only appeases the UMASS and Villanova Basketballl schools of the world who hate the "1AA" label their football programs carry.

I say they should have left the 1AA label

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I still think Ivy League school have to feel like crap being in the Championship Subdivision without the ability to go to the championship. It was bad enough for them already, but they do have their studies.....lol

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 11:35 PM
The problem is if you're talking to people who don't follow IAA football closely, which is like 99% of the public, if you say Div IAA, most casual sports fans, and almost all college football fans (the overwhelming majority of those follow IA) at least know what you're talking about. If you say my team just won the "Division I Football Championship", or are talking about the "Division I Championship Football Subdivision" people are going to be really confused, or think you're talking about the big boys (Ohio State, Michigan, USC, or whoever wins it this yr), think you're including you're IAA school in the same category, and may need to have your head examined. xidiotx If you say DI CS, again you're get blank looks. If you say, "My team just one the Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS, or CS", again, you'll get blank looks. xidiotx

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck. No matter how you dress it up, IAA will always be....IAA, at least it will to me anyway, and I know many others, maybe the majority of us IAA fans, and certainly to all the other college football fans when referring to IAA. You think when IA fans talk about their team or another IA team playing a IAA they're going to refer to the IAA as a CS or FCS team? No- they'll continue to refer to them as IAA. Easier to just say IAA than having to explain to people, and I'm not going to even attempt to.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM
The problem is if you're talking to people who don't follow IAA football closely, which is like 99% of the public, if you say Div IAA, most casual sports fans, and almost all college football fans (the overwhelming majority of those follow IA) at least know what you're talking about. If you say my team just won the "Division I Football Championship", or are talking about the "Division I Championship Football Subdivision" people are going to be really confused, or think you're talking about the big boys (Ohio State, Michigan, USC, or whoever wins it this yr), think you're including you're IAA school in the same category, and may need to have your head examined. xidiotx If you say DI CS, again you're get blank looks. If you say, "My team just one the Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS, or CS", again, you'll get blank looks. xidiotx

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck. No matter how you dress it up, IAA will always be....IAA, at least it will to me anyway, and I know many others, maybe the majority of us IAA fans, and vertainly to all the other college football fans when referring to IAA. You think when IA fans talk about their team or another IA team playing a IAA they're going to refer to the IAA as a CS or FCS team? No- they'll continue to refer to them as IAA. Easier to just say IAA than having to explain to people, and I'm not going to even attempt to.
i could not agree more!!!:thumbsup:

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 11:56 PM
You put it about perfectly with the blank stare part.
If we win it all im not gonna be like YEA we just won the Championship Subdivision championship game!woooo
simpler and more clear just to say 1-AA Championship game

November 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
It's even easier to just say you won the D-I Football Championship (it's not called the Championship Subdivision championship game). Crystal ball types can't say that.

Appguy
November 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
That is true....but theres always the guy who goes uhhh Ohio State won that

Seven Would Be Nice
November 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
We could get creative with it... and make announcers say something like "The Division-One Uber Championship Chuck Norris Division Championship Title Game is played in Chattanooga."
xlolx xlolx xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx

Monarch Nation
November 20th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I gotta get used to this. After three seasons of watching Deadwood, "CS" means something else besides Championship Subdivision. xlolx

Appguy
November 20th, 2006, 01:15 AM
CS - on acronymfinder.com
CounterStrike (The Game)
Computer Science

guys we better get submitting the new definintion of CS up there, itl be hard to take down Counter-Strike i love that game

iguerin
November 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Call me a young old-timer, but the FCS thing to me gets confusing because I think reporters are not used to it (oh, how the BCS really screwed people up not to long ago).
Eventually, it probably won't be a big deal, but let's put it this way: the AP -- who generally dictates newspaper style -- has yet to put out anything I'm sure making this change will be something for papers to look out for, and I'm sure we'll be talking about it at the paper this week.

Dabnus Brickey
November 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I gotta get used to this. After three seasons of watching Deadwood, "CS" means something else besides Championship Subdivision. xlolx

I hear ya there, brother!!! What a show!!!

DaveK
November 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I think the name change will confuse the "uniformed" even more. We are what we are Division 1AA. In college football there are four levels, it was much easier explaining it that way. Now we have Division 1 BSC schools and Division 1 Championship Series. Huh? The name change only appeases the UMASS and Villanova Basketballl schools of the world who hate the "1AA" label their football programs carry.

I say they should have left the 1AA label

I totally agree.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
After 20 plus years of calling it 1-AA, I have a hard time calling it anything but that.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I will defer to the Frank Tavan analysis...

The subdivision classification is demeaning and essetially crap... Football Championship Division is what i'll call it..

...or just I-AA. :nod:

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
GO FRANK!! I still will be calling it I-AA!! Just like I call it Fisher Field (WTF - Fisher Field @ Fisher Stadium?!?!)

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
It will always and forever be I-AA to me.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
GO FRANK!! I still will be calling it I-AA!! Just like I call it Fisher Field (WTF - Fisher Field @ Fisher Stadium?!?!)

Fisher is still Fisher no matter what you say... I just say "The game's at Fisher" :D

Purple Pride
November 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I hear ya there, brother!!! What a show!!!

:thumbsup: xlolx xlolx xlolx

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
It will always be 1-AA to me. But hey, the CS give us more love by referring to us as D-1. D-1 plus championship = awesome.

APPSTER
November 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
The reality is that it is only us I-AA fans that keep up with I-AA football anyway - for everyone else it's in one ear and out the other. I've given up trying to explain it because most people really don't care.

We should just worry about the product...actually seeding the 16 teams at the outset of the playoffs and forgetting about "regionalism"...encouraging more nonconference 1-AA games (instead of D-II) etc.

I can say this with absolute certainty...no college football fans had more fun watching their team play in the postseason last year than Appalachian fans - and I'm including Texas. They had a great win - but it was only 1 win. We had 4 and all of them were awesome. You guys from YSU, GSU, JMU, etc. know what I'm talking about.

There is nothing like the I-AA playoffs....anything is possible.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Adds confusion IMO. Name is ok though.

Black and Gold Express
November 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
It's going to make no difference. The general public will still call it I-AA, and the same stigmas will apply. Same turd, new polish, same smell. It was a waste of time and money.

penguin8797
November 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The new name stinks. See a theoretical conversation one week from today....

Nonfan: I saw the YSU football team play James Madison on ESPN2 last Saturday, what are they, Division 2?

1AA Fan: No

Non Fan: They're not Divison 3 are they!?

1AA Fan: No! They're in the "NCAA Football Championship Subdivision".

Non Fan: Oh...WTH is that

1AA Fan: Well it's division 1 but a different subdivision than the Bowl Subdivision

NonFan: You mean the Bowl championship series?

1AA Fan: yes

NonFan: But don't they play for a championship too, isn't that why they call it the Bowl CHAMPIONSHIP Series

1AA FAn: Well, yes, but they don't have a playoff

Non Fan: So the BCS is not a championship but the FCS is a championship subdivision?

1AA Fan: (pulling own hair out) The FCS used to be called Division 1-AA!!!

Non Fan : AHHH, now I get it. Do you need medical attention?

November 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
... Same turd, new polish, same smell...:rolleyes: Is App St BS yet? :rolleyes:

Black and Gold Express
November 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Don't start again Ralph, we know you are a zealot/fanatic about this. But take a step off your high horse and try and answer a few questions:

1. How will this change the perception of I-AA to the general mainstream public.

2. Like any name change of any sort, how will the name grab hold when old-timers who resist change are already saying they will still call it I-AA?

These are the important aspects of this that need to be overcome. Like it or not, public perception of this division is terrible as a whole and changing a name to rty and "fit in" with the legitimate Big Boys of college football is not going to help it.

So expound on these matters, if you will.

UNCBears2010
November 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'll probably still call it I-AA for the time being, but I'll eventually get used to the name change, like the NASCAR Nextel Cup.

November 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Don't start again...How about this:

The highest level of NCAA Championship football has never been a "turd" as you call it.

Since you feel it is why don't you just leave and don't come back?

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
It's going to make no difference. The general public will still call it I-AA, and the same stigmas will apply. Same turd, new polish, same smell. It was a waste of time and money.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a debate on the merits of I-AA. But that isn't debate.

I'll give you another cliche - - - - - -
Don't **** where you eat. :p

windwalker
November 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
By any other name, a rose is still a rose....

it may take a while, but everyone will get used to the change.

Our sub-division is still the only Div i that will crown a champion on the field.

Black and Gold Express
November 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM
How about this:

The highest level of NCAA Championship football has never been a "turd" as you call it.

How about you quit spinning it and call it what it really is. I-AA is the third-highest level of collegiate football, behind the BCS I-A level, and the I-A mid-majors. Their postseason, unlike the I-A levels, involves a playoff rather than a bowl system to determine a champion.

What exactly is wrong with that, other than maybe you can't stomach the truth?

I'm extremely proud of my school and my team, and when they take the field I root for them 110%. And I am not ashamed of them being a I-AA team, and for the most part I like the company of schools they keep.

But I'm also a realist and I know where they are in the pecking order of college football. The NCAA made a lame attempt to cloud that, in hopes for something that will never be. I don't care about public perception in terms of what Joe NotreDameFan thinks of my school. But I do have a problem with people trying to make themselves out to be more than they are, and it will do nothing to help the perception of this division in the eyes of the general public. So again, why even bother.

There was, and still is, nothing wrong with the terms I-A and I-AA. This was a waste of time and money by the NCAA.

Was it a harsh way to put it? Yes. But instead of sugarcoating things, as is done far too often here, I have no problem calling this out in more glaring terms. If you don't like that, then I'm sorry. But I'm not changing my wording or stance on the matter.

OL FU
November 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
B&G,

I have no problem with differing opinions on I-AA. However, I have heard over and over from differing fan groups, I-AA holds us down, SoCon holds us back. While those are legitimate as opinions, the truth of the matter is that the only thing that holds a school back is the school itself. That is basically to say is that I-AA is disparaged many times without respect or understand or even knowledge.

Which gets me to my point.

And I am not ashamed of them being a I-AA team, and for the most part I like the company of schools they keep.

and

Same Turd, Different Polish

Don't go together.

:twocents:

Black and Gold Express
November 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
If the name I-AA is disparaged by the general public as second-rate, then it's a turd to many. And if this new name will be just as disparaged (and I see no reason why it won't) then my statement stands.

It just matters what you care about or not.

89Hen
November 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Was it a harsh way to put it? Yes.
Harsh? Yes. Unnecessary? Yes. Divisive? Yes. Truthful? NO.

89Hen
November 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM
If the name I-AA is disparaged by the general public as second-rate, then it's a turd to many.
:confused: You can be a step down and not be a "turd". :nonono2:

OL FU
November 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
If the name I-AA is disparaged by the general public as second-rate, then it's a turd to many. And if this new name will be just as disparaged (and I see no reason why it won't) then my statement stands.

It just matters what you care about or not.

I don't give a crap what the general public thinks.
The general public thought Brittany spears was a good singer.

I care about what I-AA fans think. I-AA is not perfect, but the comment disparages I-AA in its entirety, not the parts that you would like to change.

You can mean what ever you want, but the "general I-AA public" will read it differently:smiley_wi

DaveK
November 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM
How about you quit spinning it and call it what it really is. I-AA is the third-highest level of collegiate football, behind the BCS I-A level, and the I-A mid-majors. Their postseason, unlike the I-A levels, involves a playoff rather than a bowl system to determine a champion.

I'm extremely proud of my school and my team, and when they take the field I root for them 110%. And I am not ashamed of them being a I-AA team, and for the most part I like the company of schools they keep.

But I'm also a realist and I know where they are in the pecking order of college football. The NCAA made a lame attempt to cloud that, in hopes for something that will never be. I don't care about public perception in terms of what Joe NotreDameFan thinks of my school. But I do have a problem with people trying to make themselves out to be more than they are, and it will do nothing to help the perception of this division in the eyes of the general public. So again, why even bother.

There was, and still is, nothing wrong with the terms I-A and I-AA. This was a waste of time and money by the NCAA.

Was it a harsh way to put it? Yes. But instead of sugarcoating things, as is done far too often here, I have no problem calling this out in more glaring terms. If you don't like that, then I'm sorry. But I'm not changing my wording or stance on the matter.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great post by a fan who obviously does not suffer from the same inferiority complex as the ones who want to lump all of Division I and Division I-AA into one big group.

JoltinJoe
November 22nd, 2006, 06:11 AM
To my thinking, I-AA implied a measure of inferiority (of course, on some level, I-AA was/is "inferior") that allowed even rabid college football fans to ignore the sub-division.

So changing the name of the subdivision to the Championship Subdivision may create some need for the informed college football fan to take greater notice or interest. It's a clunky name due to that "subdivision" part. But the new name implies that "CS" football, although perhaps "inferior," is not so inferior that an informed and knowledgeable college football fan can ignore it. It places the "I-AA" product a closer footing to the "I-A" product from a perception standpoint.

If the name change creates greater interest in the "CS," then it is a good thing. And because the new name is intended to create greater interest in the "CS," I like it for that reason alone.

I disagree with those who say the name change is pointless. Although the product is the same, this new name will probably market it better.

Now, if the CS learns from the NCAA basketball experience, expanding the tournament is a sure-fire way to create interest. The Big Dance really took off when it went to 64 teams.

28 teams in the CS playoffs. 4 get byes. 24 play in the first round. After that, you have a four-week tournament with 16 teams left. Also, have a BCS-type ranking system in place to choose the at-large teams which includes the typical polls, computer rankings, and a fan poll. More people would be interested in the CS if they knew that they could vote in a poll that had some impact on determining the participants.

grayghost06
November 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Does anyone else on these boards think the names will eventually be referred to as Bowl DIVISION for the big boys and Championship SUBdivision for the former IAA schools....This is how I eventually see the media handling it unfortunately.

OL FU
November 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great post by a fan who obviously does not suffer from the same inferiority complex as the ones who want to lump all of Division I and Division I-AA into one big group.

There is a big difference in having an inferiority complex and having a problem with someone trashing the division you play in:rolleyes:

OL FU
November 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
We may be forgetting one other point here. The name is being changed for the other D-I sports more than football. There are many stories of basketball teams being called I-AA on the recruiting trail

Phrebert
November 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
As long as it fits on Montana's 3rd National Champ flag (I hope!)

DaveK
November 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
There is a big difference in having an inferiority complex and having a problem with someone trashing the division you play in:rolleyes:

People who are going to trash it are going to trash it regardless of the name. That's my point. It is what it is. It's a step up from Division II but a step below Division I.

OL FU
November 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
People who are going to trash it are going to trash it regardless of the name. That's my point. It is what it is. It's a step up from Division II but a step below Division I.

You forgot to mention the inferiority complex this time:rolleyes:

The Gadfly
November 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I like "Championship Division" and think that the champion of such division should be the ONLY winner of ONE true NCAA FOOTBALL Championship trophy.

BrevardMountaineer03
November 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I would have preferred it stay I-AA...but at least there is no BS in our National Championship Hunt. No one can argue with who the National Champion should be, because the boys will play for it on the field. Stick that up the BCS....

CopperCat
November 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
As long as it fits on Montana's 3rd National Champ flag (I hope!)

Ahhh Christ. Here we go again.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I liked "I-AA" a lot better. I think this is a joke. Aside from the fact that it just doesn't sound as good to me I don't think it's going to accomplish what it's intended to accomplish. I don't think it's going to change the perception.

In fact, when the change was adopted the sports radio talkers I heard talking about it pretty much ridculed it.

But...it is what it is. Just have to remember it's the same thing I've enjoyed all these years just with a different name.

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Was it a harsh way to put it? Yes. But instead of sugarcoating things, as is done far too often here, I have no problem calling this out in more glaring terms. If you don't like that, then I'm sorry. But I'm not changing my wording or stance on the matter. I hope you don't feel this way about S#x.....or the Milkman will be paying you a lot of visits......xlolx So is it really that hard to still find 8 Track tapes and good places to get your horse shoed?? About 20 years ago this small and I mean very small Pizza company called "Dominoes" decided that delivering pizzas would be a good idea against the "Traditional" Pizza Hut eat ins.... Pizza Hut who had 90 plus percent of the Market share at the time ...sat back and said "We are Pizza-Hut" and people will always want to come in and eat our Pizza.... well I think it only took about 5 years of so before Dominoes had gained 45% of the Market...when the big PH finally woke up to delivery, it was too late!!

My point being, change is not always a bad thing... I just read through 7 pages of why nots..and the best comment came from a new to the field Coastal fan...they are young and could give a hoot about the old 1-AA label...as with all of those from this day forward that starts paying attention to the new FCS label. As a consultant, whenever I go into an organization to study processes....and ask the primary question, why do you do this process this way.....? The number one answer throughout the industry is "Because we've always done it this way"... Well I like the new name and maybe only Ralph can truly see the significance of it looking further down the road..... Does anyone remember the old AFL? Or the American Football League... Remember how bad the NFL put them down as inferior...yada yada yada... Man have times changed, need I say more....

Ralph, maybe you should set up a I-AA resistance board for those who oppose the change....file them right next to the D-I playoff resistance committee where they can chat about the days before cross bar face masks and leather helmets.....xcoffeex

AppGirl
November 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I prefer I-AA. It's such common thing to discuss at my house that my 13 yr old son asked me a couple of weeks ago if we had any I-AA batteries. I don't think he'd ask for FCS or CS batteries.xlolx