PDA

View Full Version : And the Woofed Award goes to...

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Portland St? The most likely, clear choice at this point.

Other nominees?

Maine?
Towson?
N. Iowa?
Cal Poly?
even Monmouth?

(And NO.. San Diego does not count... poor schedule, obvious non-selection)

grizband
November 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Portland St? The most likely, clear choice at this point.

Other nominees?

Maine?
Towson?
N. Iowa?
Cal Poly?
even Monmouth?

(And NO.. San Diego does not count... poor schedule, obvious non-selection)
Honestly, I am not sure any team got Woffed this year. The committee's reason for choosing MSU over PSU came down to MSU's win over PSU. Maybe the team who got Woffed is Furman, who now travels to MSU, rather than the other way around.

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
NORTH DAKOTA STATE

(I'm dead serious)
No one deserves it more.

kardplayer
November 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I am not sure any team got Woffed this year. The committee's reason for choosing MSU over PSU came down to MSU's win over PSU. Maybe the team who got Woffed is Furman, who now travels to MSU, rather than the other way around.

I gotta agree here... To be Woofed, you can't have 4 losses and you have to play a tough schedule. To me, woofed is when you look at your resume and say - in any year, that's a playoff resume, and then you don't get in.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Forget Woffed, who do you have to know to draw Hampton in the playoffs?

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Well said. There isn't a team out there that can really say they got screwed this year. It was harder enough to find 16 teams to put in the field.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
No real standout team this year that got the shaft. It is hard to argue with Montana St. over Portland St. as both had 4 losses and Montana St. beat Portland St.

I felt Furman should have hosted a 1st round game, but maybe that is my SoCon bias.

Now if we could get a little playoff setup for sub-.500 teams, GSU would be right in there :(.

I know the excitement the playoffs bring so best wishes to all the teams that are in this year. Enjoy them-- you never know if you will be back next year. We at GSU know all about that.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Forget Woffed, who do you have to know to draw Hampton in the playoffs?

xlolx

Honestly, why the heck do they have a home game? Did they do such a good job last year hosting Richmond? (facility wise)

Well, I guess we dont' have to give a "Woofed" every year. If anything, it's Furman... to Montana St. in November??

IMO, it should have been, at least...

Montana St. at So. Illionis
Furman at Tenn-Martin.. or vice versa..
UNH at YSU
Hampton at James Madison

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
NDSU is, of course, the best team not in the play-offs. But since they weren't eligible, they can't be woffed.

UNI with wins over Il SU, YSU (top 10 teams) have the closest case to being woffed.

Does any other team NOT in playoff (and eligible) with at least 7 DI WINS have victories over 2 Top 10 teams?

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Niether Maine nor Cal Poly had seven D-I wins.

The correct answer is UNI. Compare their resume with Montana State's game-for-game, and I just don't see how MSU gets in.

Each has a loss to a good D-II team (MSU to Chadron; UNI to UND)
Each has a bad in-conference loss (MSU to EWU; UNI to WIU)
Each has a blowout loss (MSU to Davis; UNI to SIU)

So the two teams have almost identical negatives. Now let's go to quality wins:

For MSU:
I-A Colorado
Portland State
Northern Arizona

For UNI:
Youngstown State
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Western Kentucky

How do these quality wins compare? MSU has a win over a (bad) I-A team, but UNI has the greater quantity and quality of I-AA wins, IMHO--two wins over top-ten teams compared to zero for MSU.

How did the teams close the season? UNI finished by beating a top-ten I-AA team (Illinois State). MSU finished by losing to a top-ten I-AA team (Montana). Each team had the opportunity to close the season with a statement win. UNI came through. MSU did not.

My verdict: UNI has the stronger resume--by virtue of a more impressive slate of quality wins--and should have been selected over MSU.

mvemjsunpx
November 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I thought six teams that didn't get in should have been considered ahead of Montana St.

In order: Portland St., Wofford, San Diego, Northern Iowa, Monmouth,
& S.C. State.

This is not to say all of those teams should have been in, but more to say that Montana St. definitely should have been left out.

Hansel
November 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

The correct answer is UNI. Compare their resume with Montana State's game-for-game, and I just don't see how MSU gets in.

For MSU:
I-A Colorado
Portland State
Northern Arizona

For UNI:
Youngstown State
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Western Kentucky

How do these quality wins compare? MSU has a win over a (bad) I-A team, but UNI has the greater quantity and quality of I-AA wins, IMHO--two wins over top-ten teams compared to zero for MSU.

How did the teams close the season? UNI finished by beating a top-ten I-AA team (Illinois State). MSU finished by losing to a top-ten I-AA team (Montana). Each team had the opportunity to close the season with a statement win. UNI came through. MSU did not.
My verdict: UNI has the stronger resume--by virtue of a more impressive slate of quality wins--and should have been selected over MSU.

MSU did win 6 of their last 7- with their lone loss @ #2 Montana

UNI lost 2 of their last 4 being blown out by SIU and the bad home loss to WIU

a case good be made for either team... I am just saying :)

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Well said. There isn't a team out there that can really say they got screwed this year. It was harder enough to find 16 teams to put in the field.

i think furman got screwed going to montana state. we like to play in the 50's climate-wise, not the 20's. from the fan standpoint, watching a home game is what makes the playoffs fun, NOT listening to your team play on the radio on the road.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I thought six teams that didn't get in should have been considered ahead of Montana St.

In order: Portland St., Wofford, San Diego, Northern Iowa, Monmouth,
& S.C. State.

This is not to say all of those teams should have been in, but more to say that Montana St. definitely should have been left out.

You really can't be serious listing ALL of those teams as more deserving as MSU?????

Only ONE team in that list might have an argument - Northern Iowa.

Portland State - lost to Montana State - Advantage: Montana State

Wofford - another 7-4 team. Only teams with winning record Wofford beat were SC St, and 6-5 Gardner-Webb - Advantage: Montana State

San Diego - weakest schedule, only way they should be considered for the playoffs is if they were expanded to 64 teams - Advantage:Montana State

Monmouth - the schedule, while getting better, still doesn't warrant a bid over Montana State - Advantage: Montana State.

South Carolina State - 7-4 as well, plays in the weak MEAC, only quality win is over Hampton. Advantage: Montana State.

November 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I guess there was no woofed team this year. We'll see when the GPI comes out after the polls who the GPI indicated that didn't make the field...

aust42
November 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM
This is probably the weakest playoff field I can ever remember. I believe Layfayette's 6-5 record is the worst record ever in the history of 1AA playoffs? Montana State get's an at-large bid with a 7-4 record, and even hosts a 1st round game? McNeese is 7-4 coming out of a weak Southland Confernce. No real stand out teams this year. Since my Bluehens are skipping this years playoffs I'll be routing for one of the A-10 schools for Conference bragging rights. Go A-10!

mvemjsunpx
November 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
You really can't be serious listing ALL of those teams as more deserving as MSU?????

Only ONE team in that list might have an argument - Northern Iowa.

Portland State - lost to Montana State - Advantage: Montana State

Wofford - another 7-4 team. Only teams with winning record Wofford beat were SC St, and 6-5 Gardner-Webb - Advantage: Montana State

San Diego - weakest schedule, only way they should be considered for the playoffs is if they were expanded to 64 teams - Advantage:Montana State

Monmouth - the schedule, while getting better, still doesn't warrant a bid over Montana State - Advantage: Montana State.

South Carolina State - 7-4 as well, plays in the weak MEAC, only quality win is over Hampton. Advantage: Montana State.

You're just looking at their wins, but you can't ignore their losses:
The Bobcats lost to DII Chadron St., lost to UC Davis 45-0, and lost to 3-8 Eastern Washington. You could argue September doesn't matter very much, but if that's the case, why even play in September? (Also, if September doesn't matter, how did New Hampshire get in?)

Also, for the Portland St. vs. MSU debate, MSU did beat them, but Portland played three I-A (now BS) opponents while the Bobcats played only one and also played a DII (so MSU doesn't get the all D1 schedule bonus that is specifically mentioned in the criteria). In other words, I don't think the head-to-head win is enough to override the GIGANTIC schedule differences between the two.

To sum up, I think Montana St. should have been given about as much consideration as teams like S.C. State and Monmouth: absolutely zero.

BestOfBreed
November 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM
It's sad that one of the "16 best teams" in I-AA isn't even the best team in DII.

AmsterBison
November 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I think a lot of teams are probably relieved they don't have to face Maine's defense.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I think a lot of teams are probably relieved they don't have to face Maine's defense.
Maine.......6-5........if you say so.......but with 5 L's.....

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM

For MSU:
I-A Colorado
Portland State
Northern Arizona

For UNI:
Youngstown State
Illinois State
South Dakota State
Western Kentucky

Good arguments.

As a UNI fan, I gotta say that I am not disappointed we did not make the playoffs. Quite frankly, the team did not get the job done. Losing to North Dakota and a wide field goal against Iowa State were close games, but we flat out got beat in the other 2 losses.

See ya next year!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
UNI-defeating 2 top 10 teams and losing by a missed FG to a fairly decent 1-A team is evidence that they should be amongst the top 16 teams.

MplsBison
November 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Gateway was the toughest conference this year.

UNI should've got in over the 2nd OVC team.

Keeper
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Right teams selected but MSU should be on the road.
JMU should be at home hosting Furman
with MSU at YSU. Some non-seeds will surprise.

Watch out UMass, don't take Lafayette lightly.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Right teams selected but MSU should be on the road.
JMU should be at home hosting Furman
with MSU at YSU. Some non-seeds will surprise.

Watch out UMass, don't take Lafayette lightly.

My thoughts exactly... or UNH at YSU... but that'd mess up the getting Furman from having to fly 4/5ths of the way across country in the first round.

putter
November 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
My thoughts exactly... or UNH at YSU... but that'd mess up the getting Furman from having to fly 4/5ths of the way across country in the first round.

So what? Personally I am tired of having the same conferences match up in the 1st round. Lets just send the teams where they should go. Furman goes to MSU, or MSU goes to Youngstown. Same thing. IF you are going to send one team across the country then all teams should be open for travel. The NCAA makes enough money with the BCS that it should not matter if you have Furman travel to MSU, Hampton go to Montana or vice versa. Seed the teams and let the travel fall where it will.

Tubby Raymond
November 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Gateway was the toughest conference this year.

UNI should've got in over the 2nd OVC team.

The Gateway, hope you are kidding.xlolx

A-10 wins the Championship:thumbsup:

blukeys
November 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Maine.......6-5........if you say so.......but with 5 L's.....

Year in, Year out, Maine is the most schizophrenic team in the CS. xidiotx
I can't figure them out.

walliver
November 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
The NCAA makes enough money with the BCS that it should not matter if you have Furman travel to MSU, Hampton go to Montana or vice versa.

I thought the BCS was independent of the NCAA. Isn't March Madness the only real moneymaker for the NCAA?

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
UNI shouldn't have lost to a D2 program otherwise they'd be in and SIU might not.

ravens
November 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
and NO.. San Diego does not count... poor schedule, obvious non-selection) I don't know. Think it is too early to say. If USD goes 12-0 then I would have to say that got woofed.

MplsBison
November 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM
UNI shouldn't have lost to a D2 program otherwise they'd be in and SIU might not.

UND is a top 10 DII team, mind you. They may win the DII NC this year, who knows. They're pretty loaded.

They'll be in the CS in a couple years showing you guys how good football in the upper midwest is.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Yes, UNI lost to a very good UND team. Yes, they missed a potential game-winning FG vs. Iowa State. I don't feel bad for UNI, though. They had chances to beat WIU and SIU and could not get it done. 4 losses = no playoffs (unless you are Montana State). See you next year. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

D1B
November 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Dont ever leave your fate in the hands of a committee. Win games. UNI wins one of those four losses, and they're in. Good luck Gateway.

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Anticlimatic Sunday today, probably so when you have 4-loss teams in the bracket & the best team in 1-AA, NDSU can't play because of a stupid transition rule.

Nobody has a real beef, win 9 games next year against real schedules & then complain people.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I think WOFFORD got woofed

GrizDen
November 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM

We have to reciprocate the love and respect to the top D2 teams that we CS teams like to clamor for when we beat the lower tier BS teams.

If you want your team to have a "shout out" for defeating a bottom dwellar in the BS, then you have to accept defeats to the top teams in D2 (ex. #1 ND over Northern Iowa and #2 Chadron State over Montana State). No embarrassment in loosing to a solid football team.

catbob
November 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I was simply floored when I saw we were hosting Furman. I had packed in the season, I didn't think there was any way MSU went to the playoffs, let alone host a game.

While I felt we were a playoff calibre team, I didn't think the committee would see it that way, with our awful three game skid.

We will see if they made the right choice come Saturday. :)

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I am going to be completely honest, I was appalled when I saw Montana State got chosen. In no way shape or form do they deserve to host a playoff game, let alone even be in the playoffs.

89Hen
November 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
My thoughts exactly. I think the award this year is which team got anti-woofed?

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I think WOFFORD got woofed

there was NO WAY a 3rd southern conference team was going to get in this year.

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Wrong answer. The Gateway would have gotten 4 bids again. SIU at 8-3 would not be sitting on the sideline watching 7-4 teams play.

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
UNI shouldn't have lost to a D2 program otherwise they'd be in and SIU might not.Montana State lost to a D2 program also as well as getting drubbed 45-0 by UC-Davis.SIU and UNI both should be in.

rvzlaw
November 19th, 2006, 11:14 PM
No one is talking why Eastern Illinois got in. They didn't beat any ranked teams. Four losses, too.

November 20th, 2006, 02:01 AM
No one is talking why Eastern Illinois got in. They didn't beat any ranked teams. Four losses, too.Eight D-I wins plus won six of their last seven with the loss being a 15-9 beating by UTM. Their only other I-AA loss was 44-30 at ILS.

Daved
November 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yes, UNI lost to a very good UND team. Yes, they missed a potential game-winning FG vs. Iowa State. I don't feel bad for UNI, though. They had chances to beat WIU and SIU and could not get it done. 4 losses = no playoffs (unless you are Montana State). See you next year. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:EIU and McNeese State also 4 losses,Lafayette in with 5 losses.If Indiana State changes conferences they have a really good shot at making the playoffs next season.

BillLuc1982
November 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
EIU and McNeese State also 4 losses,Lafayette in with 5 losses.If Indiana State changes conferences they have a really good shot at making the playoffs next season.

Maybe if INSU were in the Southland, Patriot, Pioneer, OVC, MEAC, or Big Sky

Not the A-10 or the Southern

HensRock
November 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
In the absence of any worthy candidates, I nominate NDSU.

As I said, no one deserves it more.

lizrdgizrd
November 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
In the absence of any worthy candidates, I nominate NDSU.

As I said, no one deserves it more.
You can't get woofed if you're not playoff eligible. Now it's worth debating whether you should be eligible. If you were there's no way you're not in. Keep up the great work and we'll see you in 2008 so App can beat you for our 4th straight NC!!!;)

HensRock
November 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
You can't get woofed if you're not playoff eligible.

Says Who?

It's our (the AGS Communittee's) award. We can give it to whoever we want. My vote is for NDSU.

Cap'n Cat
November 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Good arguments.

As a UNI fan, I gotta say that I am not disappointed we did not make the playoffs. Quite frankly, the team did not get the job done. Losing to North Dakota and a wide field goal against Iowa State were close games, but we flat out got beat in the other 2 losses.

See ya next year!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Agree with go4. I was at the Illinois State game (my first and only I-AA and UNI game all year) and was shocked at how easy it was for offenses to run up the middle on UNI. They gotta recruit some big, fat JUCO DLs for next year. Who cares about their grades. We can go WIU for one season!

:D :D :D :D

The right teams got in. I'm proud of the Cats and the Gateway I-AA playoff reps.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

HensRock
November 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Cap'n!
What's this ---> http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ysugatewaysig.jpg
all about?

You feeling OK, Buddy?

....uh oh - Did you lose a bet?

Daved
November 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Cap'n!
What's this ---> http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ysugatewaysig.jpg
all about?

You feeling OK, Buddy?

....uh oh - Did you lose a bet?Naw he won the bet-Its just the effects of the additives that we put in the beer that he won thats causing this behavior.

Dallas Demon
November 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM

Folks seem to not recognize the fact that the Southland played anywhere from 2-3 I-As for each team in the conference this year, many BCS schools. Our records are a bit deceiving. Quite frankly, I think playing so many I-As took its affect and wore the teams out with regards to playing other OOC schools.

Northwestern St. played 3 BCS I-As, pretty much a guaranteed 3 losses. With the budget cuts because of the hurricanes, I don't think we had a choice and that's just the way it is. Some leagues played NO I-As or very few I-As. We handled a ranked and very good Delaware St. team pretty good earlier in the year, even though this was a bad year record-wise for us.

When blasting the Southland this year, this needs to be considered in all fairness.:nono:

Tod
November 22nd, 2006, 12:38 AM

Big Sky? Dude...

http://www.forumspile.com/You-Are-Smoking_Crack.jpg

BillLuc1982
November 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
Big Sky? Dude...

http://www.forumspile.com/You-Are-Smoking_Crack.jpg

Montana is an outcast in the Big Sky. I'm talking about the rest of the Big Sky teams.

November 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
... It's our (the AGS Communittee's) award...Actually it's CSN's award (formerly I-AA.org) and it was said on WAVES that there were no candidates this year.

HensRock
November 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Actually it's CSN's award (formerly I-AA.org) and it was said on WAVES that there were no candidates this year.

Awww. C'mon - you gotta give it to NDSU ! They were Woffed! Maybe not by the committee, but by the NCAA rules. Especially in light of the fact that there were no other legit. candidates this year.