PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire @ Hampton

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Discuss

NYSigma
November 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
wow I am shocked the committee passed up the easy matchup of JMU @ Hampton or vice versa. probably because the A-10 got three teams in someone had to travel further so they just slid UNH or Hampton and Hampton had the higher bid.... I'll be there!! Look forward to hosting UNH

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
UNH by 17 or more. Hampton is a great opening draw for the Wildcats.

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Shocker, but I'll be there. Hampton draws an A-10 school for the third straight year.

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I like UNH's matchup vs Hampton.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
when they said JMU @ YSU i said "HOLY ****" shocked.

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM
whats the over/under on total offense in this game? 1200??

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM
when they said JMU @ YSU i said "HOLY ****" shocked

Me too.. that game is just made for TV. Cant wait to see it.

WildcatFan
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
When will times for games be announced (or where are they posted?)

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
They have the App state game and the YSU vs Jmu on the first weekend.

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL95/5192267/12523693/206242304.jpg

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
i hope hampton wins. just to spite all those committee folks who were hoping for a UMass/UNH rematch on week 2 of the playoffs. and because you pissed off the Dukes by making them travel to Youngstown. and when the Dukes get pissed....they get pissed. just ask Towson (2006...you don't want us after a loss that should never have happened.) or W&M (2004...we got revenge big time).

NYSigma
November 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM
i hope hampton wins. just to spite all those committee folks who were hoping for a UMass/UNH rematch on week 2 of the playoffs. and because you pissed off the Dukes by making them travel to Youngstown. and when the Dukes get pissed....they get pissed. just ask Towson (2006...you don't want us after a loss that should never have happened.) or W&M (2004...we got revenge big time).

I can't believe I agreeing with a JMU fan!! I agree though that was a b move by the committee.... I'm with you on this one!!! Good luck Dukes!!!

GSUISBACK
November 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Go Hampton!!

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I hope UNH and JMU win through to Chattanooga so we can kick your asses!

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
hey - if we make it to Chattanooga again...that would be awesome. but i'd rather play someone like Montana - or UMass....

JMUTuba
November 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
This one should be interesting. I won't call a score, but I think each team will put up 40. I don't know what to make of UNH. Can they get it together after all this inconsistency? Can Hampton finally show us it's worth something? We'll see...

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Agree or disagree that this was probally the best situation and matchup that could of happen for the Wildcats. I think UNH can play with this team. I like this matchup alot better than Youngstown or God forbid another trip to Montana..

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Go Hampton!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

NYSigma
November 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
UNH you've got it made!! Hampton is a easy pushover MEAC team!!! Good luck!!! :)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Agree or disagree that this was probally the best situation and matchup that could of happen for the Wildcats. I think UNH can play with this team. I like this matchup alot better than Youngstown or God forbid another trip to Montana..

No doubt about that.

Teams that were "gifted" considering other possible matchups:
UNH
Hampton (home game)
MSU - got in + at home
EIU - #2 team in OVC gets a home game

Those screwed:
Furman - OUCH
JMU - Double OUCH (Will the committee EVER admit its about the TV and money$$$ - so lame not to acknowledge this as the deciding factor - geo. is a BS excuse IMO)
TN-Martin - wins the AQ but get shipped away (not a huge surprise except when you see EIU at home)
NDSt - just had to throw this in for fun - We look forward to seeing the Bison in the postseason in the near future!! Congrats on a great season!

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
No doubt about that.

Teams that were "gifted" considering other possible matchups:
UNH
Hampton (home game)
MSU - got in + at home
EIU - #2 team in OVC gets a home game

Those screwed:
Furman - OUCH
JMU - Double OUCH (Will the committee EVER admit its about the TV and money$$$ - so lame not to acknowledge this as the deciding factor - geo. is a BS excuse IMO)
TN-Martin - wins the AQ but get shipped away (not a huge surprise except when you see EIU at home)
NDSt - just had to throw this in for fun - We look forward to seeing the Bison in the postseason in the near future!! Congrats on a great season!
I agree with you on all that Duke Dawg you guys got a raw deal, when the selection show put the pairings up and Montana ST was in and had you guys going to Youngstown St I said to myself that were not getting in and than when they showed the Hampton matchup I was floored in a good way:)

kardplayer
November 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
(Will the committee EVER admit its about the TV and money$$$ - so lame not to acknowledge this as the deciding factor - geo. is a BS excuse IMO)

Its not about TV per se, since the NCAA pays for time on ESPN to show the games - its not like there's a big TV contract they have to live up to.

That doesn't take away from the fact that JMU got hosed...

rcny46
November 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
UNH you've got it made!! Hampton is a easy pushover MEAC team!!! Good luck!!! :)

These two teams met in a home and home a few years ago.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Hampton and UNH have met twice on the football field during their all-time histories and UNH leads the series by a 2-0 margin. Both games were season-openers for the Wildcats, who won 31-17 in Virginia in 2000 and were victorious in Durham in 2001, 45-29.

Big Dawg
November 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I'm tellin you...Hampton is very strong this year. I wouldn't be suprised if Hampton wins this week.

Tubby Raymond
November 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM
A-10 by 10+

unknown-swac
November 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I'm tellin you...Hampton is very strong this year. I wouldn't be suprised if Hampton wins this week.

I take it you feel that way because they beat you 59-7?:D

NovaHater
November 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Doesn't anyone from Hampton have a computer or internet access ?
Does anyone there care ?
C'mon Rattler, Panthers or whatever you guys are called, someone must know something about this team to discuss why you guys deserve a home game and will beat UNH.
Don't know much about Hampton except they played some tough games against Howard, Winston Salem, Central State & Norfolk St. I know you have a good RB in Coleman but how will this team stack up against UNH?
Can they stop the UNH ground/air game ? Do you run a ball controlling offense or is it a run/shoot.
Can't wait to read the discussion on this game from those that know this team. Wish it were televised.

blukeys
November 19th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'm tellin you...Hampton is very strong this year.

I seem to remember this same line from last year, and 2004, and...........

Hampton has not seen any QB as good as Ricky Santos. I think the game will be close but UNH will prevail.

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 06:19 PM
as much as i'd like hampton to win, i think that UNH will prevail. however - crazier things have happened. Go Pirates!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
In 2004, I believe Hampton played at William & Mary in round one and it was close.........if memory serves.

I expect UNH to win.

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
In 2004, I believe Hampton played at William & Mary in round one and it was close.........if memory serves.

I expect UNH to win.
That is correct WM 42-- Hampton 35

jmuroller
November 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
UNH by 17 pts...at least. Hampton is terrible. They had a ton of close games in a really bad conference. What a great first round match up for the Cats

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 07:28 PM
right - but hampton playing at William and Mary was just as much a home game for them. they weren't even 30 minutes from home.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
In this Battle of the Hamps, I like Hamp, 31-16.:D

Old Cat Fan
November 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM
UNH by 17 pts...at least. Hampton is terrible. They had a ton of close games in a really bad conference. What a great first round match up for the Cats
Great match up I agree, but what cat team will show up, the High scoring, score at will team :) or the nail biting O.T :eek: team or the JMU, UMASS "What this wasn't a scrimage game " team :confused:

NYSigma
November 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Does anyone there care ?
C'mon Rattler, Panthers or whatever you guys are called, someone must know something about this team to discuss why you guys deserve a home game and will beat UNH.
Don't know much about Hampton except they played some tough games against Howard, Winston Salem, Central State & Norfolk St. I know you have a good RB in Coleman but how will this team stack up against UNH?
Can they stop the UNH ground/air game ? Do you run a ball controlling offense or is it a run/shoot.
Can't wait to read the discussion on this game from those that know this team. Wish it were televised.

Answers:

Yes we have computers, matter of fact Hampton Univ was selected as one of the most "connected" Universities a few years back (computers)

We deserve a home game because: a) We met the criteria for non seeded teams playing another non seeded team b) we're 10-1 in a very, very, very weak conference but we've only had one slip up against a team that everyone picked to actually win our conference.
c) we have well kept facilities
d) we got money (see answer a )

We will see if we can stop the very good team UNH

We are pretty balanced but if you stack the box we'll throw it down field
we have pretty decent special teams (note: we have the ALL TIME LEADER IN PUNT RETURN YARDAGE. I mean I believe he has twice as many yards as the 2nd all time leader check the NCAA record book his name is Marquay McDaniel)

I hope this helps, I hope we can do well against such a great team in UNH

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Answers:

Yes we have computers, matter of fact Hampton Univ was selected as one of the most "connected" Universities a few years back (computers)

We deserve a home game because: a) We met the criteria for non seeded teams playing another non seeded team b) we're 10-1 in a very, very, very weak conference but we've only had one slip up against a team that everyone picked to actually win our conference.

we have pretty decent special teams (note: we have the ALL TIME LEADER IN PUNT RETURN YARDAGE. I mean I believe he has twice as many yards as the 2nd all time leader check the NCAA record book his name is Marquay McDaniel)

Congrats on the home game.................

The real question........how about the D.......Santos and Ball on the field....your punt team may not be playing much.....

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Good luck to Hampton and I am looking forward to a good game. I do think UNH is going to win though.

HIU 93
November 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Yeah, we're terrible. We're just a poor little school in a poor little seatown and we have to sell fish sandwiches to buy uniforms. We have no talent and a terrible coach. The NCAA has felt sorry for us and spotted us 10 points in every game so that we can win three conference championships in a row and make it to the playoffs three years in a row. Since we are an HBCU, the reason we have been given a home game for the second year in a row is Affirmative Action. I just hope your big strong team doesn't beat us poor little underfunded country bumpkins too bad. ;) :rolleyes: : smh :

OxSoxUNH05
November 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty pumped up for the potential of a rematch with UMASS, ( think within driving distance :)!) NOt to mention i don't think we were on top of our game that day. But first we have to pass the test and beat Hampton. GO 'Cats

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the home game.................

The real question........how about the D.......Santos and Ball on the field....your punt team may not be playing much.....

statistically doesnt hampton have one of the best pass defenses in the nation?

NYSigma
November 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
statistically doesnt hampton have one of the best pass defenses in the nation?

you may be right:smiley_wi but that comes against very, very, very, very weak competition :smiley_wi

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
hampton is in for what at least the 2nd year in a row but until they can WIN in the playoffs, this is like a first round bye. i only dream of such a first round opponent. maybe next year.

HIU 93
November 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM
you may be right:smiley_wi but that comes against very, very, very, very weak competition :smiley_wi

You're right, we just don't deserve to even play NCAA football.:smiley_wi

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
These last few postings have been funny.....ok Hampton....glad to see you on the board.......maybe it's your year to get the monkey off your back......

NovaHater
November 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Answers:

I'm glad to see someone from Hampton cares, you got to admit, the posts are one sided on this game so far.
Obviously Hampton does have money because my understanding is that a University desiring to host has to bid, and must have outbid JMU to get a home game. Both are deserving of a home game.
It's hard to gauge Hampton because of the competition they play and the MEAC's performance in recent playoff games doesn't warrant them much respect.
UNH is vastly overrated, after the win they had over Northwestern people thought they were for real but after UD put up 49 pts against them it was obvious this team wouldn't stay #1 long. If Hampton can run the ball they should have some success, UNH doesn't show a lot of speed on D, they are however good at creating turnovers. Keep Santos and Company on the sidelines and the MEAC may finally get a win.
The only stop to their offense is themselves, which they've found a way of doing last half of the season.
Too bad neither school has a video link, should be a good game to watch.
Can't see a blow out like Wildcat fans think, but then again it's hard for most people to gauge Hampton, you guys need to schedule more outside of the MEAC.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not willing to overlook Hampton.

UNH has been inconsistent, and while they've played the last two games strong, it's hard to know what they'll bring to the table. Ultimately, they can beat anyone on any given day, but can also be beat by almost anyone. I think it'll be close, but I have to root for my hometown team.

Go Cats.

I long for a chance for one of our safeties to clean the clock out of Brandon London for Umass, so here's hoping for a rematch. How do you guys at UMass stomach such an idiot?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
NovaHater and HIU 93,

Please review the posts in this thread -- I don't think it is Wildcat fans who are making the predictions of a blowout or are slamming Hampton! Don't be starting something that the vast majority of UNH posters won't be involved with!

PIRATETIZED1
November 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by NovaHater

Does anyone there care ?

Hater...
Don't worry about a discussion...Sure we know about "our" team.

All YOU need to know is:

1. Ricky Santos & David Ball! One "heck" of a combination!!:thumbsup:

2. UNH are "HEAVY" Favorites !!! :nod:

3. HU's Playoff record is "dismal" at best !!!! :nonono2:

4. "...Ya got to be in it, to win it!..." :rolleyes:

Good Luck to both Teams & their Coaching Staffs!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

MEAC Football Champions 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006
MEAC Basketball Tournament Champions 2001, 2002, 2006

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Very interesting matchup. The question for HU remains whether their offensive and defensive fronts have improved enough to hang with an A-10 team for four quarters. In UNH, they face a QB who presents a challenge similar to what they faced with Lang Campbell in 2004. The problem in '04 was that they gave up 300 yards rushing, and despite 3 INTs, could not contain the Tribe in the second half.

HU's air game has improved. Even last year against Richmond they threw alot and had some success. I'll be watching to see if their OL can establish the run this time (no luck with that against W&M or Richmond). Lacking that, UNH will tee-off on Princeton Shepherd in the second half, as W&M and Richmond did the last two years.

HU defense will be challenged from the opening bell. Teams that have success against UNH are able to get pressure on Santos with the front four. UNH runs an intricate offense that requires LBs to play well in coverage. Santos produces yardage even when pressured. Given time, he is lethal.

PIRATETIZED1
November 19th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jmuroller

You know roller...,

I have found that you are correct 99.89787889 % of the time!

My Prediction:

UNH 52
HU 10

--------------------------------------------------------------

G.S.Green
November 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I agree that it is very interesting to see how one sided the postings are on this topic. Very, very few people are giving Hampton a chance to do much of anything. That said, the game still has to be played!!!!

Things I look forward to listening to from Iraq are:

What kind of push the lines get in the trenches – A-10 team supporters have showered laudatory remarks upon MEAC skill positions while employing pejorative remarks to describe MEAC line play.

I was there for both playoff losses in the past two years and this is what I saw. Richmond’s success last year in the second half had more to do with our conservative game plan, poor execution, and the outstanding athletic ability of Stacy Tutt than anything else. In the W&M game, a bad pitch to Jerome Mathis late in the game turned the tide. 42-35 does not make for a blowout.:rolleyes:

Team Work Counts – I have not seen Ricky Santos or David Ball but I think they put their cleats on the same as our guys. You still only get 11 guys on the field at a time and I believe HU will be ready.:twocents:

WildcatFan
November 20th, 2006, 04:41 AM
NovaHater and HIU 93,

Please review the posts in this thread -- I don't think it is Wildcat fans who are making the predictions of a blowout or are slamming Hampton! Don't be starting something that the vast majority of UNH posters won't be involved with!
You beat me to it. We will not disrepect anyone. Any team that makes the playoffs is a team that can compete. This fan is just thankful we got in after a hard fought victory in Maine.

wildcat_fan
November 20th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Will this game be televised?

arranger101
November 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I think that Hampton will be fine in this game if they can remember to capitalize on UNH mistakes. Yes, my MEAC bretheran said that only because Hampton blazed them at home. After we beat Hampton 13-6 at home, they have gotten their act together and are very focused...I think we woke up the sleeping giant! Go Pirates!!!!!!
xcoffeex

UNHFan99
November 20th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Will this game be televised?

I dont think so.

and Hampton please review the posts. UNH and its fan know what is like to be the underdog even when you are deserving of better. You will hear nothing but praise and respect from the University of New Hampshire from its fans and players. congrats on making the playoffs and best of luck to you. I have heard you have great db's and it will be very interesting to see how your db's matchup against Ball, Brown, Levann, Boyle, Loring, Henry, and Katchert. I only wish Corey Graham was healthy because I think he is the best DB in the country and will be one of the first CS guys taken in the draft.

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Would love to see Hampton win this one.

YoUDeeMan
November 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Since we are an HBCU, the reason we have been given a home game for the second year in a row is Affirmative Action.

Imagine that. In his first post on this thread, WHIU93 FM starts broadcasting his usual crap. :nono:

jmuroller
November 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Yeah, we're terrible. We're just a poor little school in a poor little seatown and we have to sell fish sandwiches to buy uniforms. We have no talent and a terrible coach. The NCAA has felt sorry for us and spotted us 10 points in every game so that we can win three conference championships in a row and make it to the playoffs three years in a row. Since we are an HBCU, the reason we have been given a home game for the second year in a row is Affirmative Action. I just hope your big strong team doesn't beat us poor little underfunded country bumpkins too bad. ;) :rolleyes: : smh :

Grow up and quit playing the HBCU card. I don't care who you play...you are an average team in a terrible conference. Win a playoff game and then we can give you respect that you deserve. Three years 1 and done means nothing to me in the playoffs.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM

i agree. obviously Hampton outbid UNH - otherwise the game would be in Amherst. i think HIU93 is being sarcastic when he says this stuff - Hampton is tired of getting blamed for pulling the black card - they got a home game...so whatever. give them a little credit - they've won the MEAC three years straight...they can't help it if its generally a weaker conference - that's where they play. i hope they kick UNH tail just so you people will get off their backs for once.

Bison4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Grow up and quit playing the HBCU card. I don't care who you play...you are an average team in a terrible conference. Win a playoff game and then we can give you respect that you deserve. Three years 1 and done means nothing to me in the playoffs.

If the conference is so terrible why are you guys runnnig from Hampton to return a home game there?xcoffeex

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
"underfunded country bumkins"?

You didn't make the trip to Durham last time Hampton played there, did you?

You may want to go reveiw the "worst stadiums in the A-10" post.

No one from UNH would ever call anyone "underfunded" or "country bumpkins"....You can see the cow pastures from our endzone!

Bison4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I expect UNH to win.

It wasn't close, Hampton was robbed.Plain and simple.

Umass74
November 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
i agree. obviously Hampton outbid UNH - otherwise the game would be in Amherst. i think HIU93 is being sarcastic when he says this stuff - Hampton is tired of getting blamed for pulling the black card - they got a home game...so whatever. give them a little credit - they've won the MEAC three years straight...they can't help it if its generally a weaker conference - that's where they play. i hope they kick UNH tail just so you people will get off their backs for once.

We won't have lights until next year.

A UMass-Lafayette and a UNH-Hampton double header would be fun but I want the Wildcats-Pirates to be the 8:00 am game. :p

oldsport
November 20th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I am a regular visitor to the Meacfans website. I can tell you that I am so tired of this kind of BS that it makes me sick. I reel against it every chance I get over there. You guessed it - I am hated for it.

NYSigma
November 20th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I know one school that is 0-2 against us (they should give us respect) :D

Bulldog87
November 20th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hampton 28-UNH 24.

Black and Gold Express
November 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
This game could be called the Paper Tiger Bowl. May be the two most overrated teams in the playoffs. UNH should win this mainly because the best players on the field will be Ball and Santos. But the second either one of these teams plays a team with a real defense, it's game over for them.

gram4life
November 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM

SMH, just sad

gram4life
November 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I am a regular visitor to the Meacfans website. I can tell you that I am so tired of this kind of BS that it makes me sick. I reel against it every chance I get over there. You guessed it - I am hated for it.

Maybe if you stop carrying the water

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I know one school that is 0-2 against us (they should give us respect) :D
Once again...that last win for Hampton against JMU was after JMU went 2-9 the previous year. Their football program stunk, they sucked balls, they were terrible, they could hardly beat The School for the Deaf and Blind. Beating JMU during that time was not, and is still not, considered to be difficult. It was a cupcake team for any team. But since then, JMU has won a playoff game or two. Hampton has not.

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM
No question Hampton needs to host a 1st round game. This is what the playoffs are all about. we as fans can talk smack but the proof will be played out this saturday. Good luck to both teams. I'm at a loss for this one. Would like to see Hampton win but really like UNH offense. I think it will be close, a HUGE game for Hampton. They NEED to get the playoff jinx off their backs. If not, Get ready for more "Overrated and they play in a weak conference and with questionable non-conference schedule" talk.

UNHWildCats
November 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
This game could be called the Paper Tiger Bowl. May be the two most overrated teams in the playoffs. UNH should win this mainly because the best players on the field will be Ball and Santos. But the second either one of these teams plays a team with a real defense, it's game over for them.

Yea I guess Maine dont have a defense or Richmond, Ya UNH really sucks.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

UNHWildCats
November 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
As for television. Does Hampton have there games broadcast locally? If they do then I would guess WMUR in Manchester, NH would make a deal with that station to simulcast there coverage back in New Hampshire.

Black and Gold Express
November 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Yea I guess Maine dont have a defense or Richmond, Ya UNH really sucks.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

And Maine and UR are in the playoff brackets where exactly? Thought so.

Sorry dude, but UNH has done nothing really to prove its detractors wrong. And yes, I am one of them. You went from a Top 2 preseason to just barely making the playoffs. You're 0-2 against playoff teams this year and it's well-accepted that your defense is average at best and an achilles heel. JMU destroyed you in your own backyard with a very good defense, something a lot of the other top playoff teams have as well.

At some point you will face teams that will require you to stop their offense in order to win. It probably will not be this week, but will be starting the following week. UNH has a couple of exciting players but some serious flaws which could prove fatal if not corrected, and teams usually are what they are at this time of year, there will be no miracle corrections for your weaknesses.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
UNH got destroyed by JMU, but they've gotten back on track. They barely eeked out wins over Delaware and Richmond before that JMU game, and so I believe that kind of took it's toll. They were not playing good football then, and it carried over to Northeastern. Yet, playing terribly, we almost beat NU.

We lost to UMass because of terrible playcalling. The Fake Punt, not going for it on key situations, we lost because of that. The game was ours to win in the 2nd half, and despite playing terrible, we almost did it. Also, both JMU and UMass blocked punts which gave them huge advantages, devastating our team. My contention is we've gotten better since then. If this team sticks with what it's good at (throw, throw and throw some more, with occasional runs using LeVan, Kackert, Simpson or Ward) they're going to be a tough out.

That crap about no defense is ridiculous. UNH had 2 TD's versus Maine and a third time were stuffed on the inch line. This against a team that hadn't allowed more than 10 points since a 22-0 to RANKED 1-A Boston College. Our defense is our achilles heel, but they're improving. A 4th Down Stop, holding Maine to 2 FG's in the Red Zone, a late game INT to send it to OT and an OT stuff 3 and out certainly bodes well. We don't get a lot of pass rush and we don't get a lot of turnovers, but they've operated the bend, don't break defense reasonably well of late.

We're no defensive power house, but even a decent game with our offense playing at the level it's capable of playing is, frankly, enough to beat most teams.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
UNH got destroyed by JMU, but they've gotten back on track. They barely eeked out wins over Delaware and Richmond before that JMU game, and so I believe that kind of took it's toll. They were not playing good football then, and it carried over to Northeastern. Yet, playing terribly, we almost beat NU.

We lost to UMass because of terrible playcalling. The Fake Punt, not going for it on key situations, we lost because of that. The game was ours to win in the 2nd half, and despite playing terrible, we almost did it. Also, both JMU and UMass blocked punts which gave them huge advantages, devastating our team. My contention is we've gotten better since then. If this team sticks with what it's good at (throw, throw and throw some more, with occasional runs using LeVan, Kackert, Simpson or Ward) they're going to be a tough out.

That crap about no defense is ridiculous. UNH had 2 TD's versus Maine and a third time were stuffed on the inch line. This against a team that hadn't allowed more than 10 points since a 22-0 to RANKED 1-A Boston College. Our defense is our achilles heel, but they're improving. A 4th Down Stop, holding Maine to 2 FG's in the Red Zone, a late game INT to send it to OT and an OT stuff 3 and out certainly bodes well. We don't get a lot of pass rush and we don't get a lot of turnovers, but they've operated the bend, don't break defense reasonably well of late.

We're no defensive power house, but even a decent game with our offense playing at the level it's capable of playing is, frankly, enough to beat most teams.
Barely eeked out wins over Delaware and Richmond...
Terribly playcalling against Umass...
Fake punt instead of going for it on key situations...
Allowing blocked punts...

Wow, sounds like you got some problems on offense/special teams in addition to your defense :eek:

Hampton86
November 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
No question Hampton needs to host a 1st round game. This is what the playoffs are all about. we as fans can talk smack but the proof will be played out this saturday. Good luck to both teams. I'm at a loss for this one. Would like to see Hampton win but really like UNH offense. I think it will be close, a HUGE game for Hampton. They NEED to get the playoff jinx off their backs. If not, Get ready for more "Overrated and they play in a weak conference and with questionable non-conference schedule" talk.

Flex,

Other than the Hampton fans :) you've said it ALL in a nutshell. Hampton's football team, despite what many argue, deserves to be in the playoffs because they did what they were suppose to do- beat the teams in their conference.
Now, it's time for the Pirates to forget about the past playoff failures and SHOW UP!
Despite OLDSPORT's claims that MEAC posters are ALWAYS inserting race into conversations (NOT true) the true Hampton fan understands that this game IS about protecting the QB, opening holes for our running backs and putting pressure on New Hampshire's QB. That's what this game is about.

And to the UNH fans travelling to Hampton University this weekend. As a Hampton graduate I want to be the first to welcome you to our "HOME BY THE SEA". We will treat you and welcome you with the respect that you deserve. By the messages I've read from UNH fans so far, it appears that you guys (and maybe some gals) are just as ready to talk about the game, the players and the respect that both schools should have for one another--- DESPITE THE PAST SUCCESSES AND FAILURES DURING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!:hurray:

youwouldno
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Playoff success is important for programs and conferences. This is indeed a huge game for Hampton...

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Barely eeked out wins over Delaware and Richmond...
Terribly playcalling against Umass...
Fake punt instead of going for it on key situations...
Allowing blocked punts...

Wow, sounds like you got some problems on offense/special teams in addition to your defense :eek:

Oh, surely. We've got some serious fundamental issues. It just depends on which team we bring about to play. I'm telling you, we can lose or win this game against Hampton by 50.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Obviously Hampton...must have outbid JMU to get a home game.

This isn't necessarily true since the committee would've taken JMU's bid out of the picture when they decided that they would play a seed. So, Hampton might've outbid JMU, but it's really impossible to tell.

Anyway, after reading this thread a question came to mind that I don't know the answer to: Without the auto-bid, would Hampton be an at-large pick for the playoffs?

I would tend to say yes because of their record and I think that most of their opponents are decent enough that the SOS is respectable, but their GPI is low. They would at least be in the discussion. A lot of these posts act like they've got no business being here, but that's not the case. Past playoff performance doesn't matter.

This one's a toss-up for me since it's between an A-10 team and a Virginia team. Given that, I'll go with the underdogs. Hampton by 3!!

UNH_ORACLE
November 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
UNH, by a lot.

BBB
November 20th, 2006, 11:51 AM
If the conference is so terrible why are you guys runnnig from Hampton to return a home game there?xcoffeex

great question.

BBB
November 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Dude you know why you're hated there....:rolleyes:

UNH SUPERFAN
November 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Flex,

Other than the Hampton fans :) you've said it ALL in a nutshell. Hampton's football team, despite what many argue, deserves to be in the playoffs because they did what they were suppose to do- beat the teams in their conference.
Now, it's time for the Pirates to forget about the past playoff failures and SHOW UP!
Despite OLDSPORT's claims that MEAC posters are ALWAYS inserting race into conversations (NOT true) the true Hampton fan understands that this game IS about protecting the QB, opening holes for our running backs and putting pressure on New Hampshire's QB. That's what this game is about.

And to the UNH fans travelling to Hampton University this weekend. As a Hampton graduate I want to be the first to welcome you to our "HOME BY THE SEA". We will treat you and welcome you with the respect that you deserve. By the messages I've read from UNH fans so far, it appears that you guys (and maybe some gals) are just as ready to talk about the game, the players and the respect that both schools should have for one another--- DESPITE THE PAST SUCCESSES AND FAILURES DURING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!:hurray:
Great, I look forward to coming down. This will be a good game, I'm already nervous about our ability to play well offensively. Hampton has ALL my respect!! You've won more games this year than we have and you're at home. We will have to play well to win.

Can't wait til Saturday!!

UNHFan99
November 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think UNH's defense will play out of their mind and get some turnovers and the UNH offense will be thriving as usual this time of the season. I really think Hampton will have a hard time matching up with our offense because by this point in the season our players have learned 10 weeks of different playbooks. We change the playbook completely every week of the season and run rediculous formations at teams. If you havent played a team similar to us its very difficult to adjust with one week to prepare. Hampton has the athletes to stay with our recievers, but if you are running in the wrong direction it doesnt matter. I think UNH wins 42-21. Hampton is a good team and I have great respect for their program. I think they will play a better game than the score will show though.

Mr. Tiger
November 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
This game will come down to the offensive and defensive lines. If Hampton's line can hold its own, a win is possible.

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Hampton is a class program and has a class coach in Joe Taylor. They were able to get an OT win against Grambling despite some key injuries to Coleman and the starting qb (for the opener). Their defense is quick to the ball, especially their pass rush.

Personally, I would like to see Hampton win the whole shebang just to see what the comments would be then. Surely there have been other teams whose regular season record doesn't carry over to the playoffs...:twocents:

Black and Gold Express
November 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Personally, I would like to see Hampton win the whole shebang just to see what the comments would be then. Surely there have been other teams whose regular season record doesn't carry over to the playoffs...:twocents:

Usually those teams have actually played quality opponents during the regular season. I don't see a single quality win on the Hampton schedule in 2006. The MEAC as a whole is weak, UNH will be far and away the best team HU will have played this year.

This is not about HU being classy or not (I think they are classy), it's about how tested they are, and all the arguments everyone has been giving USD the last 2 months are similarly applicable to HU (HU has played way better competition than USD ever did, but compared to the rest of the playoff field its weak)

DTSpider
November 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I hope that some UNH fans make it down to Hampton. It was one of the better experiences I've had watching a football game. Great fans down there. I think that Hampton really could pull this one out. UNH has been up & down all year. Hampton will have the speed to hang with UNH so I think it'll come down to if UNH can run the ball.

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Very interesting matchup. The question for HU remains whether their offensive and defensive fronts have improved enough to hang with an A-10 team for four quarters. In UNH, they face a QB who presents a challenge similar to what they faced with Lang Campbell in 2004. The problem in '04 was that they gave up 300 yards rushing, and despite 3 INTs, could not contain the Tribe in the second half.

HU's air game has improved. Even last year against Richmond they threw alot and had some success. I'll be watching to see if their OL can establish the run this time (no luck with that against W&M or Richmond). Lacking that, UNH will tee-off on Princeton Shepherd in the second half, as W&M and Richmond did the last two years.

HU defense will be challenged from the opening bell. Teams that have success against UNH are able to get pressure on Santos with the front four. UNH runs an intricate offense that requires LBs to play well in coverage. Santos produces yardage even when pressured. Given time, he is lethal.

Good analysis. I think the key will be how well Hampton can run the ball with Coleman, to eat up the clock and keep Santos off the field. They probably have a better shot running the ball against UNH than they would against some of the better defenses in the A-10. If they can do that, and if they can make a few big plays on defense, I think Hampton can hang in. Hampton does have some very talented players on defense, and it will be interesting to see how they matchup against UNH's explosive offense. I will not be shocked to see UNH held under 30 in this one, but the question is how many points Hampton will be able to put up. Again, they will at least have a better chance to score some points against the UNH's defense than they would against UMass', JMU's, Maine's, etc. Hampton also might be able to get some points out of their return game. If Hampton can play mistake-free, I think they have a shot. In the prediction thread I called this a 21-17 game for UNH. Might be more like 28-20, 31-21, etc. I will not be surprised to see Hampton keep it close--but then again, there's nothing UNH's offense could do that would surprise me, either, so we could be looking at 49-24 as well. I'm rooting for a close game, though.

BigApp
November 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I think UNH should take their band :D

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Usually those teams have actually played quality opponents during the regular season. I don't see a single quality win on the Hampton schedule in 2006. The MEAC as a whole is weak, UNH will be far and away the best team HU will have played this year.

This is not about HU being classy or not (I think they are classy), it's about how tested they are, and all the arguments everyone has been giving USD the last 2 months are similarly applicable to HU (HU has played way better competition than USD ever did, but compared to the rest of the playoff field its weak)

I don't know much about the other conferences...but I do know about the SLC. What's the record of the conference champion for the Southland? Their out of conference wins weren't against anyone of substance and within the conference, none of the teams had an impressive record.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know much about the other conferences...but I do know about the SLC. What's the record of the conference champion for the Southland? Their out of conference wins weren't against anyone of substance and within the conference, none of the teams had an impressive record.

Southland, Patriot & MEAC are all weak conferences this year, IMO.
Hampton deserved to get into the playoffs, no doubt. McNeese State and Lafayette do not (IF there were to be a minimum-win standard for autobid winners, which there is not).

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM

The Southland was not very good this year. Their OOC is a little misleading because they played a bunch of I-A games, but they also played a number of D IIs.

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
(IF there were to be a minimum-win standard for autobid winners, which there is not).

If there were a minimum-win standard, then it wouldn't be an auto-bid. There's no in-between. Either it's an auto-bid or it's not.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
If there were a minimum-win standard, then it wouldn't be an auto-bid. There's no in-between. Either it's an auto-bid or it's not.
It was sort of implied in my response...as if the rules should be amended a bit. IMO of course.

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
It was sort of implied in my response...as if the rules should be amended a bit. IMO of course.

Meh. It's one thing if you want to strip specific conferences--OVC, MEAC, SLC, Patriot, etc.--of their auto-bids (though I'd still strongly disagree), but I think the idea of making it conditional is a bad one. Maybe I'm just some lame "diversity" person and I like the idea of having at least eight conferences represented in the playoffs every year no matter what. I don't know.

But anyway, really, why not just get rid of the whole concept of auto-bids altogether? It would amount to the same thing as what you're proposing. If what you're proposing is that winning one's conference isn't necessarily enough, then you're basically asking that all teams be evaluated on an at-large basis anyway. Get rid of auto-bids entirely. Maybe that is what you're suggesting. I guess that's what I'm not clear on.

mikebigg
November 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Southland, Patriot & MEAC are all weak conferences this year, IMO.
Hampton deserved to get into the playoffs, no doubt. McNeese State and Lafayette do not (IF there were to be a minimum-win standard for autobid winners, which there is not).

Don't get me wrong...I will be cheering for the Cowboys (gotta rep the homies). Warning yall folk not to overlook McNeese regardless of the record.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Meh. It's one thing if you want to strip specific conferences--OVC, MEAC, SLC, Patriot, etc.--of their auto-bids (though I'd still strongly disagree), but I think the idea of making it conditional is a bad one. Maybe I'm just some lame "diversity" person and I like the idea of having at least eight conferences represented in the playoffs every year no matter what. I don't know.

But anyway, really, why not just get rid of the whole concept of auto-bids altogether? It would amount to the same thing as what you're proposing. If what you're proposing is that winning one's conference isn't necessarily enough, then you're basically asking that all teams be evaluated on an at-large basis anyway. Get rid of auto-bids entirely. Maybe that is what you're suggesting. I guess that's what I'm not clear on.

I'm not suggesting anything really that I'm all hot and bothered about. Only a thought, something to ponder. It's just a down year for some conferences this year, that's all. Both Southland and Patriot have had some fine reps in the past, but not so much this year. Maybe there could be a new rule that states the 'auto-bid' (let's just forget about the fact that it wouldn't technically be called an 'auto-bid' for now) must win at least 7 D-I games. If that were the case, Lafayette wouldn't get the 'auto-bid' and would have to be considered in the same bucket as the rest of the at-larges. In '06, PSU or UNI would most likely get the nod over Lafayette IMO.

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM

No I'm saying that because I've SEEN them and they are one of the BIGGEST, FASTEST, and STONGEST teams you'll see...they are the type of team that some may look past and then find themselves in ballgame, tryng to scratch out a victory in the last couple of minutes.

I remember a certain FAMU team a few years ago...:D

Don't look past anyone...ANY GIVEN SATURDAY

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Oh I'm shivering and cowering in the corner...I'm so scared of jmuroller and his wittle temper.:rolleyes: xlolx

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Dude you know why you're hated there....:rolleyes:

TRULY!!!!!!!!!

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM

FINALLY- Someone who can comprehend! I want y'all to win as well. Hell, I would LOVE to see both of us win out so we could have an all Virginia NC game. How about that AGS? You heard it here first folks, the National Championship will either reside in Hampton or Harrisonburg!

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
"underfunded country bumkins"?

You didn't make the trip to Durham last time Hampton played there, did you?

You may want to go reveiw the "worst stadiums in the A-10" post.

No one from UNH would ever call anyone "underfunded" or "country bumpkins"....You can see the cow pastures from our endzone!

I've been to both Durhams- I actuall think the one in NH is very pretty, just too damn cold. Its just sarcasm, dude. It wasn't aimed at you or most of the NH folk. It was targeted to the same folk with the same lame ass, tired crap they have been spewing since they were born.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I dont think so.

and Hampton please review the posts. UNH and its fan know what is like to be the underdog even when you are deserving of better. You will hear nothing but praise and respect from the University of New Hampshire from its fans and players. congrats on making the playoffs and best of luck to you. I have heard you have great db's and it will be very interesting to see how your db's matchup against Ball, Brown, Levann, Boyle, Loring, Henry, and Katchert. I only wish Corey Graham was healthy because I think he is the best DB in the country and will be one of the first CS guys taken in the draft.

Woo-saw dude. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the lame-asses. You're not one of them.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM
As for television. Does Hampton have there games broadcast locally? If they do then I would guess WMUR in Manchester, NH would make a deal with that station to simulcast there coverage back in New Hampshire.

It will be carried somewhere.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Flex,

THIS IS THE MOST INTELLIGENT POST I HAVE EVER WITNESSED ON AGS!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

UNH_BLUE
November 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM
THIS IS THE MOST INTELLIGENT POST I HAVE EVER WITNESSED ON AGS!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, it was a classy post. As for the game, it will probably come down to how well UNH protects Santos. JMU, UMass and NU pressured Santos and threw him off his game.

BTW, anybody know why UNH hasn't consistently played both Kackert and Ward during the second half of the season? I don't think it's injuries, it looks more like one or both has been in Sean's doghouse at one point or more this season. We need them both on the field this Saturday.

Menudo
November 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I think UNH should take their band :D

I think so too xlolx

R.A.
November 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I think if Hampton can win this one, and gain confidence and momentum, they can take it to the title. They have a team full of future NFL draft picks, so they have the talent. They just have too bring it all together. They've had two weeks of rest also.

rcny46
November 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Hampton,IMHO, is the most underrated team in the field of 16,and they will test UNH to the limit.If they win,I won't be shocked or surprised.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I think if Hampton can win this one, and gain confidence and momentum, they can take it to the title. They have a team full of future NFL draft picks, so they have the talent. They just have too bring it all together. They've had two weeks of rest also.

whoa now - don't get too ahead of yourself. Hampton would still have to beat UMass (in Amherst) and then [most likely] Montana at Wash-Griz Stadium. If Hampton could do all that....then damn - draft the whole team to the NFL because that would be some crazy phenomenon.

Ozzie
November 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
I think UNH is a lock to win even on the road.

G.S.Green
November 21st, 2006, 03:36 AM
Flex,

Eloquently stated. If I could go, I would also be there. I believe that once more people actually go to the game and stop listening to the negative banter, they’ll be in a better position to make an informed opinion about what HU fan is really like.

G.Green

PIRATETIZED1
November 21st, 2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by R.A.

R.A. ......
Good Post!

Due to what you've said here, I wanted to see Hampton's Playoff History.
I knew that HU had NOT a long playoff history, but I wanted to put it all together to see how the PIRATES did. HU's 1st ever playoff experience did not occur until 1985. Here's what I found:

YEAR DIVISION ROUND RESULT EVENTUAL WINNER
1985 II 1st Bloomsburg 38 HU 28 No.Dakota St.
1992 II 1st No. Ala. 33 HU 21 Jacksonville St.
1993 II 1st HU 33 Albany St. 7
2nd No.Ala. 45 HU 20 No. Alabama
1997 I-AA 1st Youngstown St 23 HU 13 Youngstown St.
1998 I-AA 1st UCONN 42 HU 34 UMASS
2004 I-AA 1st W&M 42 HU 35 James Madison
2005 I-AA 1st Richmond 38 HU 10 App. State
2006 I-AA 1st UNH at HAMPTON ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2006, 05:28 AM
Eloquently stated. If I could go, I would also be there. I believe that once more people actually go to the game and stop listening to the negative banter, they’ll be in a better position to make an informed opinion about what HU fan is really like.

G.Green

HU fans are great, and the atmosphere at Armstrong is great. I've been there many times, including the infamous "Robbery by the Sea" game in 1998, and fans are always gracious and welcoming. Only annoyances at Armstrong are long concession lines, and the announcer, who just does his job too well.

jmuroller
November 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM
Oh I'm shivering and cowering in the corner...I'm so scared of jmuroller and his wittle temper.:rolleyes: xlolx

I hope your offense can score at least 40 points...cause that is what it will take to keep up with UNH's offense.:nod:

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
I hope your offense can score at least 40 points...cause that is what it will take to keep up with UNH's offense.:nod:

You haven't seen our offense, have you?:smiley_wi

BigApp
November 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM

:eyebrow: You mean, this one isn't?

You heard it here first folks, the National Championship will either reside in Hampton or Harrisonburg!

xidiotx

Hampton86
November 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM
HU fans are great, and the atmosphere at Armstrong is great. I've been there many times, including the infamous "Robbery by the Sea" game in 1998, and fans are always gracious and welcoming. Only annoyances at Armstrong are long concession lines, and the announcer, who just does his job too well.

:eyebrow: Thanks for the kind words Tribe. But I have a question. Why haven't the administrators at W&M and Hampton gotten together and start playing one another EVERY year. It could turn out to be not only a great money-maker, but it creates another region-building game much like the Hampton-Norfolk State " Battle of the Bay".

Somebody make it happen!!!!!xidiotx

UNHWildCats
November 21st, 2006, 02:40 PM
You haven't seen our offense, have you?:smiley_wi

How'd that offense do against Richmond last year?

Hampton86
November 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM

Wait...hold that catnip...

We got rid of our offensive coordinator shortly after last year's playoff game. New O.C....more schemes and more confusion for our opponents!!!!

:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
:eyebrow: Thanks for the kind words Tribe. But I have a question. Why haven't the administrators at W&M and Hampton gotten together and start playing one another EVERY year. It could turn out to be not only a great money-maker, but it creates another region-building game much like the Hampton-Norfolk State " Battle of the Bay".

Somebody make it happen!!!!!xidiotx

You'll have to ask them.....I'm for it.:thumbsup: We've got one more year of Liberty, and then two games with Elon.

NYSigma
November 21st, 2006, 04:14 PM
You'll have to ask them.....I'm for it.:thumbsup: We've got one more year of Liberty, and then two games with Elon.

It's hard to just say we'll play your next year or the year after. It's just not that easy, plus with our "classics" which showcase our team usually in an NFL venue it's harder to pass those up. They're big money games. It would be great to play Bill and Mary though more often.

UNH_BLUE
November 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM
I think UNH is a lock to win even on the road.

UNH: 17-3 on the road the past three years.

Tough to top that.

Go Blue!!

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 08:47 PM

Is this last year?

UNH_BLUE
November 21st, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm gonna end this right now!

No Fruit in Beer!

Mr. Tiger
November 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM

Hampton has a completely new offense so last year means nada. Last year, Hampton won games with their defense.

G.S.Green
November 22nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
It's hard to just say we'll play your next year or the year after. It's just not that easy, plus with our "classics" which showcase our team usually in an NFL venue it's harder to pass those up. They're big money games. It would be great to play Bill and Mary though more often.

I believe the killer for both schools is the number of Conference vs. OOC games and the scheduling piece. Too difficult to make happen given the narrow windows everyone tries to squeeze into every year.

Once you mix in the possibility of an A-10 team losing to a MEAC team and surely to be perceived loss of prestige, the $$$$ would have to be very right. A-10 has a lot to lose while the MEAC has a lot to gain. Not much of an enticement for Bill and Mary to play ball given the risk.

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2006, 05:17 AM
I believe the killer for both schools is the number of Conference vs. OOC games and the scheduling piece. Too difficult to make happen given the narrow windows everyone tries to squeeze into every year.

Once you mix in the possibility of an A-10 team losing to a MEAC team and surely to be perceived loss of prestige, the $$$$ would have to be very right. A-10 has a lot to lose while the MEAC has a lot to gain. Not much of an enticement for Bill and Mary to play ball given the risk.

You've nailed the issues on this. Tribe has only one OOC to work with since we play an ACC team and VMI every year. We're scheduled out through 2009, and rumor has it we may play a second I-A game on the West Coast in 2010 (possibly UCLA), in deference to a significant alumni base out there (including Walt Zable).

If I had my druthers we'd play alternating home-and-home with HU and Norfolk State. Part of the problem is there are so many I-AA teams in the region to choose from.

chiapet9
November 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
understandable - but if Hampton is as "weak" as everyone keeps saying they are then W&M should have nothing to worry about, right? And if they are as "strong" as they think they are, then losing to a "strong" team shouldn't do much damage, right?

NYSigma
November 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
understandable - but if Hampton is as "weak" as everyone keeps saying they are then W&M should have nothing to worry about, right? And if they are as "strong" as they think they are, then losing to a "strong" team shouldn't do much damage, right?

This is what we've been saying!! But seriously it is difficult to do because of all the reasons mentioned here. I still can't help remembering a quote W&M coach said a few years ago (after actually beating Hampton). "I hope we don't ever have to play them again".

I hope JMU and HU could meet in Tennessee!!

PIRATETIZED1
November 22nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Tribe4SF... & G.S.Green...

You 2 have made GREAT Points...!!!!

I'm attempting to find a couple of "achived" newspaper articles which actually 'proves' both of your points of view. I thought that I had saved them, but I don't seem to be able to find them (defragmentations {drat!}).

No matter, to the best of my rememberance, Hampton & James Madison was (maybe still is currently) trying to negotiate a "Home & Home" in the next couple of years. I think (not sure) I remembered reading an article in the local Harrisonburg area of the disagreement between both schools concerning the completion of the "Home and Home". As I recall, (I'm personally NOT laying blame on JMU;So don't shoot me!) JMU, VMI & HU both had a similar OPEN DATE in 2007 &/or 2008. The article did not state why (other than the coach desiring to have a certain number of home games in 2007 & 2008), but JMU chose to play VMI at Harrisonburg(I'm still attempting to archive the article{s}). I'm also looking the articles that mentions Hampton playing Princeton in a Home & Home starting the 2007 & 2008 or 2009 season.

If anyone can archive the information & post it, I would appreciate it.
Again, my purpose is NOT to criticize or lay blame on JMU or anyone. Rather to support the points made by Tribe4SF & G.S.GREEN as to why W&M & Hampton cannot seem to get it together every season

It simply appears that several Div.I-AA schools are vigorously scheduling 2-5 years in advance (especially scheduling Div.I-A teams). So finding "ideal" OPEN Dates is more difficult!!! Only when an AD cannot schedule a 'decent' I-AA or I-A game, they will play ONE Div. II school (I wonder if that's what happened to Montana St., though they lost to their Div.II opponent this season;after beating Colorado!).

BTW, to everyone from my family to yours, have a Safe & Enjoyable Holiday Weekend!!!! :nod:

Let's get ready for some GREAT GAMES on Saturday!!! Best of Luck to each School in the Playoffs! :nod:

bandl
November 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Tribe4SF... & G.S.Green...

You 2 have made GREAT Points...!!!!

I'm attempting to find a couple of "achived" newspaper articles which actually 'proves' both of your points of view. I thought that I had saved them, but I don't seem to be able to find them (defragmentations {drat!}).

No matter, to the best of my rememberance, Hampton & James Madison was (maybe still is currently) trying to negotiate a "Home & Home" in the next couple of years. I think (not sure) I remembered reading an article in the local Harrisonburg area of the disagreement between both schools concerning the completion of the "Home and Home". As I recall, (I'm personally NOT laying blame on JMU;So don't shoot me!) JMU, VMI & HU both had a similar OPEN DATE in 2007 &/or 2008. The article did not state why (other than the coach desiring to have a certain number of home games in 2007 & 2008), but JMU chose to play VMI at Harrisonburg(I'm still attempting to archive the article{s}). I'm also looking the articles that mentions Hampton playing Princeton in a Home & Home starting the 2007 & 2008 or 2009 season.

If anyone can archive the information & post it, I would appreciate it.
Again, my purpose is NOT to criticize or lay blame on JMU or anyone. Rather to support the points made by Tribe4SF & G.S.GREEN as to why W&M & Hampton cannot seem to get it together every season

It simply appears that several Div.I-AA schools are vigorously scheduling 2-5 years in advance (especially scheduling Div.I-A teams). So finding "ideal" OPEN Dates is more difficult!!! Only when an AD cannot schedule a 'decent' I-AA or I-A game, they will play ONE Div. II school (I wonder if that's what happened to Montana St., though they lost to their Div.II opponent this season;after beating Colorado!).

BTW, to everyone from my family to yours, have a Safe & Enjoyable Holiday Weekend!!!! :nod:

Let's get ready for some GREAT GAMES on Saturday!!! Best of Luck to each School in the Playoffs! :nod:

P1, you're right there was discussion between JMU and HU to do a home & home, and I believe it was close to finalizing before the deal fell apart (or the talks were delayed). I'm not sure of the reason though...there was a lengthy discussion on AGS a few months before the season started. I'll see if I can find the thread and/or articles you are referring to.

EDIT: Here's one of the threads about Hampton/JMU...it's from December 2005 (I guess my memory is vague in that regard!). And I guess it's not going to happen in 2006.

There's also another thread within this one about the home/home....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6103&highlight=JMU%2FHampton

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
You've nailed the issues on this. Tribe has only one OOC to work with since we play an ACC team and VMI every year. We're scheduled out through 2009, and rumor has it we may play a second I-A game on the West Coast in 2010 (possibly UCLA), in deference to a significant alumni base out there (including Walt Zable).

If I had my druthers we'd play alternating home-and-home with HU and Norfolk State. Part of the problem is there are so many I-AA teams in the region to choose from.

Not to mention trying to fit ODU in. I'm sure the CAA teams will have to accomodate them, even in the couple years before they officially join the CAA.

But...ODU will need opponents for the first couple years, this could be a great way of starting a Hampton/ODU rivalry in football.

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM
Not to mention trying to fit ODU in. I'm sure the CAA teams will have to accomodate them, even in the couple years before they officially join the CAA.

But...ODU will need opponents for the first couple years, this could be a great way of starting a Hampton/ODU rivalry in football.

That probably won't happen. We have nothing to gain in playing ODU.

mcveyrl
November 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
That probably won't happen. We have nothing to gain in playing ODU.

I agree. JMU, W&M, and Richmond would want to play a couple of OOC games against ODU before they get in the conference. Hampton has no incentive, other than the save in travel costs if ODU was away. Lose to ODU and you lost to an upstart. Win and you were supposed to.

I'm looking forward to the Norfolk St./ODU rivalry. Any suggestions for names?

chiapet9
November 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
except that Richmond, JMU, and W&M would probably be required to play ODU. they would all be in the South division of the CAA and ODU plans on becoming a full time member for football in 2008.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
except that Richmond, JMU, and W&M would probably be required to play ODU. they would all be in the South division of the CAA and ODU plans on becoming a full time member for football in 2008.

Well, this thread is veering off topic, but I thought they were starting CS football in '09, but won't be a full CAA member until a couple years later while they build the program. I don't know where I read that, because that was months ago...but somehow that's stuck in my memory from somewhere.

It's during that pre-CAA period that the CAA schools will need to make room on their OOC schedule for ODU.

mcveyrl
November 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well, this thread is veering off topic, but I thought they were starting CS football in '09, but won't be a full CAA member until a couple years later while they build the program. I don't know where I read that, because that was months ago...but somehow that's stuck in my memory from somewhere.

It's during that pre-CAA period that the CAA schools will need to make room on their OOC schedule for ODU.

This is correct and what I meant.

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
I agree. JMU, W&M, and Richmond would want to play a couple of OOC games against ODU before they get in the conference. Hampton has no incentive, other than the save in travel costs if ODU was away. Lose to ODU and you lost to an upstart. Win and you were supposed to.

I'm looking forward to the Norfolk St./ODU rivalry. Any suggestions for names?

Battle for Southside Supremacy?

Southside Slugfest?

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Well, this thread is veering off topic

Correct, so back on topic- We are going to whip UNH lke red-headed step children.xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Just bought my ticket! Looking forward to visiting another CS locale and enjoying the Hampton experience!!!

Now hopefully the ole buggy won't let me down as I pound out a lot of miles Friday. The downside will be no Shrimp and Grits in Charleston this year! :bawling: Just got to keep motoring up I-95!! Hopefully, I'll find some good BBQ in North Carolina for dinner! :nod:

bandl
November 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Just bought my ticket! Looking forward to visiting another CS locale and enjoying the Hampton experience!!!

Now hopefully the ole buggy won't let me down as I pound out a lot of miles Friday. The downside will be no Shrimp and Grits in Charleston this year! :bawling: Just got to keep motoring up I-95!! Hopefully, I'll find some good BBQ in North Carolina for dinner! :nod:

Where are you driving from? You'll have to venture past Hampton to get to NC if you're coming from CT. Not too far though. But there is plenty of good BBQ in Virginia...check out Pierce's on I-64 just outside Williamsburg, Lightfoot exit. :bow: :bow: Been going there since I can remember and it was just a shack.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

I'm driving from MAINE!

See you there.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Wow, Kudos to you on driving down from Maine. As a current student, I don't yet have the time to do it, but I'd like to. Hope it's on TV!

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, Kudos to you on driving down from Maine. As a current student, I don't yet have the time to do it, but I'd like to. Hope it's on TV!

awww..C'mon. We had time to drive from Iowa to New Hampshire last year. ;)

HIU 93
November 22nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

You can get shrimp and grits in Hampton. NC is about two-three hours away from Hampton, depending on the direction you go. You can try our local BBQ and seafood, its pretty good. That is a very LOOONNNGGG drive, be careful coming down the road. Look forward to seeing y'all. Get to campus early, the line for parking tends to be long- only one way in and out. Have a good time while you're at "Our Home by the Sea."

chiapet9
November 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
But there is plenty of good BBQ in Virginia...check out Pierce's on I-64 just outside Williamsburg, Lightfoot exit.

the only downside to pierce's is that the BBQ is not eastern carolina style - which is amazing...its the red sauce BBQ. there are however plenty of places to go in hampton and newport news.

chiapet9
November 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
also - if you happen to be staying on the other side of the water in Norfolk there are plenty of bars and clubs downtown. just make sure you stay in the waterside area and the area right by the mall.

Coastal89
November 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
The oysters should be pretty good up there now too.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Nice article on a key piece for HU. Big freshman offensive lineman who helped trigger the Pirates running game late in the season.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-85760sy0nov23,0,7451232.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Pantherpower
November 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM

UNH can more than play with Hampton. They'll likely embarrass them. Hampton and the MEAC schools, along with OVC schools in recent years have been laughable representatives in the playoffs.

I'll give Hampton credit for one thing, they're bidding enough to get a home game. Additionally, they pulled an ultimate jedi mind trick on the committee last year to get a seed. Hampton getting a seed last year was the epitome in a long line of embarrassing decisions by the selection committee.

Before anyone decides that this is sour grapes on my part, allow me to give you pause by saying that UNI played their way out of the playoffs, particularly in their home defeats to DII UND and WIU. They put their hopes in the hands of a committee who has proven, despite UNI's winning playoff record in 12 appearances, that unless UNI wins the Gateway outright, they will not get a bid at large. I repeat UNI has never received an at large bid despite their history of winning when in the playoffs. My bone of contention is with a system that needs to be tweaked. It's light years better than the BCS, but that doesn't make it perfect.:twocents:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
UNH can more than play with Hampton. They'll likely embarrass them. Hampton and the MEAC schools, along with OVC schools in recent years have been laughable representatives in the playoffs.

I'll give Hampton credit for one thing, they're bidding enough to get a home game. Additionally, they pulled an ultimate jedi mind trick on the committee last year to get a seed. Hampton getting a seed last year was the epitome in a long line of embarrassing decisions by the selection committee.

Before anyone decides that this is sour grapes on my part, allow me to give you pause by saying that UNI played their way out of the playoffs, particularly in their home defeats to DII UND and WIU. They put their hopes in the hands of a committee who has proven, despite UNI's winning playoff record in 12 appearances, that unless UNI wins the Gateway outright, they will not get a bid at large. I repeat UNI has never received an at large bid despite their history of winning when in the playoffs. My bone of contention is with a system that needs to be tweaked. It's light years better than the BCS, but that doesn't make it perfect.:twocents:
Something tells me that Hampton may pull the surprise in this one...........

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
I think Hampton has a better shot this year than last. UNH defensive front is undersized, and I'm not sure they can wear down Hampton's o-line as Richmond did last year. Production from Santos and Ball have been way off last years numbers, but if they play as they are capable, Hampton will have a hard time keeping up.

G.S.Green
November 23rd, 2006, 10:43 AM

I look forward to your comments on Sunday.

Old Cat Fan
November 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'm driving from MAINE!

See you there.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Godspeed York county, I have all I can do to get to Durham in time for the noon time starts from Rochester N.H. :D

NYSigma
November 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM

The only thing laughable is you lost to a DII school. If you know you have to win the Gateway then a) don't schedule teams you can't beat b) don't lose to 5-6 teams in your own conference and c) Schedule Hampton in the near future oh forget that see "a" above

Here's my own (as a Hampton Alum) Jedi Mind trick....your team will be home this Saturday. Do some Holiday shopping!!!:smiley_wi

Henny
November 23rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
To get back to the actual game discussion, the main thing Hampton has to be concerned with is the UNH offense. Yes you have Santos who can scramble and make plays that you think are not there. Then the receivers find a way to get open when he does scramble. The other factor is the misdirection as UNH often lines up in the two back set similar to West Virginia and will kill you with the run when you dont expect it.

I do think Hampton will score on UNH but the heat is on the Hampton coaches to have their D ready for Santos and co.

rcny46
November 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think the thing that concerns me the most about Hampton is their overall team speed.They may have more of that element than anyone UNH has faced this season.I also think that play at the line of scrimmage will have a lot to do with the way this game unfolds.Come on saturday!

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hampton has about 6 pro prospects on their squad so they will be tough --and FAST! However, they keep things very simple on defense. They have not faced any offense as sophisticated and/or led by anybody as talented as Santos & Ball. It may be a shootout since I don't know if UNH can stop Hampton on offense, either. Big key will actually be UNH's on again/off again running game. GO WILDCATS!

Mr. Tiger
November 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I think Hampton has a better shot this year than last. UNH defensive front is undersized, and I'm not sure they can wear down Hampton's o-line as Richmond did last year. Production from Santos and Ball have been way off last years numbers, but if they play as they are capable, Hampton will have a hard time keeping up.

Now, that is interesting because I think the line play will be the key to the game. Last year, Richmond and Hampton played an even first half and then Richmond wore them down in the second half. But Hampton's offense is much more explosive this year. This should be a good game. :thumbsup:

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Lot of talk about which UNH team will show up. Absolutely valid point. If the team that beat Rutgers 2 yrs ago (w/ Santos & Ball, going away, I might add), beat UC-Davis & UMASS last year (Thank you Santos & Ball-best game ever by a 1-AA WR), or beat Northwestern this year (big D & running game as well as Santos & Ball) shows, UNH will be fine -- even against the Hampton atleticism and speed. If the team that got blasted by JMU this year or couldn't stop Northeastern shows up, Hampton will punch their ticket to UMASS instead of the Wildcats. UNH is always an interesting, confusing -- and, at times for opponents, a scary proposition

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Now, that is interesting because I think the line play will be the key to the game. Last year, Richmond and Hampton played an even first half and then Richmond wore them down in the second half. But Hampton's offense is much more explosive this year. This should be a good game. :thumbsup:

Actually, Hampton's offense was explosive last year in the first half against Richmond. Onrea Jones had a huge game, with 11 catches for about 190 yards. In the second half, the Richmond D was on Shepherd and Smith's tails the whole time recording 5 sacks, and HU ground game was totally ineffective, as it was the previous year against W&M.

Against UNH, the Pirates may be able to run the ball, which will make all the difference in the world. Even though the UNH D is not among the best in the A-10, if HU becomes one-dimensional, they will be in trouble.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Article on David Ball with comments from HU DBs.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-87757sy0nov24,0,4563056.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Pantherpower
November 24th, 2006, 08:08 AM
The only thing laughable is you lost to a DII school. If you know you have to win the Gateway then a) don't schedule teams you can't beat b) don't lose to 5-6 teams in your own conference and c) Schedule Hampton in the near future oh forget that see "a" above

Here's my own (as a Hampton Alum) Jedi Mind trick....your team will be home this Saturday. Do some Holiday shopping!!!:smiley_wi

Was it laughable when Montana lost to DII NDSU a few years back or earlier this season when Montana St. lost to DII Chadron State? Was it laughable that UNI lost to UND? No. Was it disappointing? Of course.

As has been mentioned on here before, the gap between the elite in DII and CSS (UND and UNI) is much smaller than the gap between the elite in CS and CSS (USC and UNI).

If I'm not mistaken, the biggest scare that YSU received during one of their championship runs in the early '90s was against a stout North Alabama team.

G.S.Green
November 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Was it laughable when Montana lost to DII NDSU a few years back or earlier this season when Montana St. lost to DII Chadron State? Was it laughable that UNI lost to UND? No. Was it disappointing? Of course.

As has been mentioned on here before, the gap between the elite in DII and CSS (UND and UNI) is much smaller than the gap between the elite in CS and CSS (USC and UNI).

If I'm not mistaken, the biggest scare that YSU received during one of their championship runs in the early '90s was against a stout North Alabama team.
I believe the difference between A-10 and the MEAC is closer than anyone thinks. UNH is one of the best and HU is one of the best so let’s see where this thing goes.

David Ball has game. Santos has game. UNH has a vaunted defensive line. Hampton has a few prospects but comes from a weak conference. Seems like there will be no way this game can get past the 2nd quarter and be close.

Hell, Hampton can’t even generate decent coverage from the local paper.

I just hope the field dries out so we can see the best from both schools.

Pantherpower
November 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM

While I certainly can't speak for him, I'd think that our A.D. Rick Hartzell would schedule a home and home with Hampton in a heartbeat. The committee over the years has proven that it will take teams with a weak SOS, provided that they play teams within Division I-AA/CSS and don't schedule more than one DII. I would imagine he's tried, and many of these schools (Hampton, Tennessee-Martin, SEMO, Savannah State) are unwilling to play us. Scheduling can be a real b!tch when you come out of a CSS power conference like the Gateway, A-10, SoCon, Big Sky, Southland or Great West (soon to be).

Gordon Shumway
November 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I believe the difference between A-10 and the MEAC is closer than anyone thinks. UNH is one of the best and HU is one of the best so let’s see where this thing goes.

David Ball has game. Santos has game. UNH has a vaunted defensive line. Hampton has a few prospects but comes from a weak conference. Seems like there will be no way this game can get past the 2nd quarter and be close.

Hell, Hampton can’t even generate decent coverage from the local paper.

I just hope the field dries out so we can see the best from both schools.

Where exactly did this "vaunted defensive line" come from?:eek: :eek: :eek:

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Agreed, VAUNTED?

Additionally, I enjoy the picture of UNH's 135,000 investment. Ugh.

Old Cat Fan
November 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Agreed, VAUNTED?

Additionally, I enjoy the picture of UNH's 135,000 investment. Ugh.
Are you kidding me, we don't have lights and they dumped 135,000 on that statue :confused:

Maverick
November 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
The way some teams have run on the Wildcats maybe he was talking abou the "vaulted" defensive line. :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I believe the difference between A-10 and the MEAC is closer than anyone thinks.

Hope you are kidding
xidiotx

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Are you kidding me, we don't have lights and they dumped 135,000 on that statue :confused:

Yeah..

My roommates and I postulate that perhaps there's some kind of hidden camera or artifact or something in that thing. At the very least, they could've used that money to pick up a home game.

rcny46
November 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
The way some teams have run on the Wildcats maybe he was talking abou the "vaulted" defensive line. :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

As in vaulted over? :)

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Joe Taylor says this is his best team.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-88254sy0nov25,0,41066.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Pantherpower
November 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Joe Taylor..."UNH won't be able to match our size and speed..."

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:eSe_Eaj3O-hWKM:http://www.mmapa.org/Pop%2520Warner%2520Football%2520Camp.jpg

:smiley_wi

G.S.Green
November 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Damn it. The WEB guys just blocked the streaming for the broadcast here in Iraq. Is anyone doing updates?

G.S.Green

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
yes i will be go to the UNH Hampton gamethread

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Where are you driving from? You'll have to venture past Hampton to get to NC if you're coming from CT. Not too far though. But there is plenty of good BBQ in Virginia...check out Pierce's on I-64 just outside Williamsburg, Lightfoot exit. :bow: :bow: Been going there since I can remember and it was just a shack.

Spent the day Friday driving from Sarasota, FL to Rocky Mount, NC which took 13 hours including breaks. In my compact G20 that is definitely a day's work!!! I love the fuel economy, but it's not a great touring mobile when you're 6'3"!! xlolx xlolx Did the rest of the drive Saturday morning. Today, I rode my bike around Williamsburg because I couldn't make myself get back in that car and drive on Thanksgiving Sunday!!!!! :nonono2:

Kudos to all the folks like York County who made long drives to Hampton!! It wasn't so long ago when folks wouldn't drive from Manchester to Durham to see the Wildcats! Hope lots of the Wildcat fans will be making the relatively short jaunt to Amherst on Saturday!!

During my trip on Friday, I stumbled upon a place called Smithfields in Lumberton, NC. I think that's a local chain, but it was quick and pretty good for this "gringo". And I believe it was authentic "Eastern Carolina" style! :nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
You can get shrimp and grits in Hampton.

All the seafood restaurants?

NC is about two-three hours away from Hampton, depending on the direction you go. You can try our local BBQ and seafood, its pretty good. That is a very LOOONNNGGG drive, be careful coming down the road. Look forward to seeing y'all. Get to campus early, the line for parking tends to be long- only one way in and out. Have a good time while you're at "Our Home by the Sea."

Yeah, I came in from Rocky Mount within your time frames. And I've never seen so many State Troopers on the highway as I did on I-95 and I-295 in VA on Saturday morning. Glad I didn't really need to make time!!

Without a doubt that was the longest drive I've ever made to watch UNH Football! But I was rewarded with a terrific game and an unbelieveable experience at your "Home by the Sea"!! We (me, Tribe4SF and three of his W&M buddies) got there early and had a fantastic time tailgating. SF and I both commented on the experience on another thread, but it bears repeating. In all my years attending football games, I have never been approached by so many people welcoming me and being interested in talking about the game and my team. At first I was taken back (sorry, I've had a couple of bad experiences), but quickly realized that it was totally genuine. It was truly a blast walking through the tailgate area and talking with virtually everybody!!

A lot of folks on this forum truly need to not only eat some crow, but they also owe the fine folks in Hampton an apology. The football on the gridiron was outstanding and didn't deserve all the smack it got last week. Maybe someday I'll get to McNeese and Montana and other venues viewed as le creme de la creme of the CS world, but you'll have a very difficult act to beat when it comes to the hospitality exhibited by the folks in Hampton!!

I look forward to the day when I can return to your "Home by the Sea"! :nod: :nod: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Wow....Prophetic