PDA

View Full Version : UT-Martin @ Southern Illinois

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Discuss

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
New AD stepped it up and paid the $ ! Will be fun to see another home game @ SIU. Hope we play like we did the last 2 weeks. Whoever wins will have a TOUGH meeting in Montana the following weekend.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Don't count McNeese out at Montana. The Griz offense has not played that well as of late minus the NoCo game. Glad to see SIU get the home game.

JaxSinfonian
November 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Interesting that the OVC autobid winner is on the road, while EIU gets to host a team that beat them in the regular season.

Still, nice day for the OVC.

Freightliner
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Tn-Martin coached by former Tx-State QB coach/Off coordinator Jason Simpson.

Congrats to the Skyhawks.

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
$ talks and apparently EIU has more to wager :)

UTMFan21
November 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
We really don't have the facilities or capapcity to host a game. But SIU isn't very far and we had a big crowd travel yesterday, so I imagine we will have a big crowd at the game!

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
SIU has a basketball game in Orlando and the entire student body is home for TDay so you may have more fans than us.

JaxSinfonian
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
$ talks and apparently EIU has more to wager :)

Yes, and EIU has played this game before.

Their stadium only seats 10,000, not many more than UT-Martin's 8,500, so I don't know that facilities really played a role. It would appear that EIU has the resources and experience to bid successfully for a home game. They're still new to all this in Martin.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Martin on their playoff appearance!! Quite a turnaround.

Martin to Carbondale is an easy drive, so hopefully Martin has a big following up there.

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL95/5192267/12523693/206242319.jpg

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
We really don't have the facilities or capapcity to host a game. But SIU isn't very far and we had a big crowd travel yesterday, so I imagine we will have a big crowd at the game!

Your facilities are infinitely better (especially for a playoff game) than Hampton's. Don't sell yourself so short.:thumbsup:

hawkeye
November 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM
SIU is only 2 1/2 hours from UTM. Not a bad bus ride for the Hawks.

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Is this the "ho-hum" game of the week or something??

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I'm picking UTM. I like their karma!

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I think SIU fans are pleased. We beat an OVC team last season in the playoffs and expect nothing less than a victory this year. As long as we don't overlook them I think we will be fine. The way we've played the past 2 weeks we can play with anyone in the country. If you don't believe me ask UNI & SUU. Not saying we are the best, just saying that when we are playing well we can hang with anyone.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
This game will be decided in the trenched. SIU has the nation's #3 rushing attack while UTM is ranked # 9.

On the defensive side of the ball SIU is # 42 against the run while, UTM is 11th.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 10:09 PM
SIU ROLLS by 17! Whitlock rushes for 200!

nothingbutjsu
November 20th, 2006, 05:54 AM
UTM probably was out bidded.
I would like to see UTM win, but...

saluki_in_ohio
November 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM
SIU ROLLS by 17! Whitlock rushes for 200!

If we play like we did against Southern Utah, its going to be more than 17 points.

However, if we play like we did against Illinois State, it's going to be a long game...

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
BUMP

Does anyone even care about this game?? Doesn't seem like it, from the amount if discussion...

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Does anyone even care about this game??

What kind of question is that? I count 13 AGSers who've weighed in so far. Cut UTM a little slack, at least. There are probably people in Martin who still haven't realized they've got a team, and they don't seem to have the most Internet-connected fan base in the country either. (though that's changing ... SkyhawkNation24, hawkeye, UTMfan21, when will one of you guys step up and start a Martin fan forum along the lines of gojaxstate.com (http://www.gojaxstate.com), ekupride.com (http://www.ekupride.com) and the like? Webmasters at those places will be more than glad to help you out, I'm sure.)

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM
What kind of question is that?
Do you need smiley faces to understand the sarcasm??

Does anyone even care about this game?? :D Doesn't seem like it, from the amount if discussion...;)

BTW, I pick UTM to win this game!

saluki_in_ohio
November 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
BUMP

Does anyone even care about this game?? Doesn't seem like it, from the amount if discussion...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/saluki_in_ohio/goFyourselfugly.jpg

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Do you need smiley faces to understand the sarcasm??

Sarcasm or not, the question's insulting. You could have simply shared your view of the game instead. But hey, no blood no foul.

Why do you think Martin will win?

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Sarcasm or not, the question's insulting. You could have simply shared your view of the game instead. But hey, no blood no foul.

Why do you think Martin will win?
I don't know much about them, THAT'S why I wanted this thread bumped to the top! Stick around for a while, you'll see that I'm full of sarcasm! :thumbsup: All in good fun though, always.

My opinion...a new coach & a new found enthusiasm for a program that has struggled for about a decade, 8 straight wins at one point, 9-2 overall, a top 15 defense (which they'll need to stop Whitlock) and a great running game. And I think that SIU has a habit of not playing up to their ability in the playoffs. Yeah, I know history is history, but the '04 NC was all but handed to them before they lost on the first round, and I can't quite let that go. :o It's all going to come down to who stops the run and IMO, the run defense for UTM wins this one!

How'd I do? :p

slycat
November 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
BUMP

im jumping on the UT-Martin bandwagon now that Texas Sts season is over.

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
A quick review of the stats shows what you might expect: don't look look up to find the ball on Saturday. This will be two teams trying to grind it out on the ground.

SIU hands it off to Whitlock, UTM to Chapman. Whoever gets through the most may win the game for his team. Whitlock's getting 5.8 ypc, 1,541 for the season. Chapman gets 5.5 ypc, 1,304 on the season.

In the Gateway, SIU was 1-2 against teams with backs who finished the season with more than 1,000 yards rushing, losing to Illinois State and Youngstown State but getting by Western Illinois. The star back in each of those games got well over 100 yards (249 for YSU's Mason). UTM was 2-0 against OVC teams with 1,000-yard-plus backs, beating EIU & Vincent Webb and JSU & Clay Green (they held both Green and the Gamecocks under 100 yards, but then, several teams did that this year). They didn't have to face Tenn. State & Javarris Williams.

The difference may come on special teams. Both squads are top-15 punt returners nationally and both return kicks pretty well. Martin is dead last in the OVC in punting, though, and 106th nationally. SIU is a top-20 punting team. On paper, it looks like Whitlock won't have to run quite as far as Chapman will.

I was thinking EIU vs. ISU might be the OVC's better shot at winning a playoff game this season, but this looks to be a much better matchup. Two teams with near-identical strengths squaring off.

SIU has the advantage of playoff experience and the home field. UT-Martin could respond to their first-ever playoff appearance in two ways: go all starry-eyed like JSU did at WKU in 2003, or realize they're doing something no Skyhawk (or Pacer) has ever done before and rise to the occasion.

Like ISU@EIU this one looks close, and I'm not ready to make a call yet.

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
My opinion...a new coach & a new found enthusiasm for a program that has struggled for about a decade, 8 straight wins at one point, 9-2 overall, a top 15 defense (which they'll need to stop Whitlock) and a great running game. And I think that SIU has a habit of not playing up to their ability in the playoffs. Yeah, I know history is history, but the '04 NC was all but handed to them before they lost on the first round, and I can't quite let that go. :o It's all going to come down to who stops the run and IMO, the run defense for UTM wins this one!

How'd I do? :p

Not bad ... but a decade? This program has struggled through its entire existence. I am on the Skyhawk bandwagon as well, but get your affairs in order, folks. This is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Not bad ... but a decade? This program has struggled through its entire existence. I am on the Skyhawk bandwagon as well, but get your affairs in order, folks. This is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Hey, they had a 6 win/5 win/5 win stretch in the 90's! That's not a struggle! 6 wins gets you an autobid in some conferences!!!;)

Saluki_man
November 20th, 2006, 07:13 PM
The difference in this game will be special teams. SIU has a very accurate FG kicker (only missed once this year) and a great return game (when were not blocking the kick). This will be a field position game and SIU clearly has an advantage. If the weather is bad expect a very low scoring game.

hawkeye
November 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM

We appreciate the support from our fellow OVC brothers J State and EIU. I personally am pulling for EIU against the redbirds. I think both J State and EIU will testify just how good the UTM defense is this year. I know Whitlock has outstanding talent, but so did Clay Green at J state. We limited him to under 100 rush yards for the first time in many consecutive games. EIU had giants for wideouts and still tried to run on UTM? Bad mistake. If SIU is depending on the run...........its going to be a long day for you.

Pantherpower
November 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
We appreciate the support from our fellow OVC brothers J State and EIU. I personally am pulling for EIU against the redbirds. I think both J State and EIU will testify just how good the UTM defense is this year. I know Whitlock has outstanding talent, but so did Clay Green at J state. We limited him to under 100 rush yards for the first time in many consecutive games. EIU had giants for wideouts and still tried to run on UTM? Bad mistake. If SIU is depending on the run...........its going to be a long day for you.

You have to be kidding me. The reason it will be a long day is the stoppage of play after each SIU touchdown. If the SIU team that took the field against UNI shows up Saturday, this one will be a laugher.

hawkeye
November 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM
You have to be kidding me. The reason it will be a long day is the stoppage of play after each SIU touchdown. If the SIU team that took the field against UNI shows up Saturday, this one will be a laugher.

Laughter can turn to tears, tears to agony, agony to defeat......

11-18-06 Tennessee-Martin 42, Murray State 14
Nov 11, 2006 Eastern Kentucky 31, Tennessee-Martin 28
Nov 04, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 28, Southeast Missouri 14
Oct 28, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 15, Eastern Illinois 9
Oct 21, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 10, Samford 6
Oct 05, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 35, Tennessee Tech 16
Sep 30, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 20, Austin Peay 10
Sep 23, 200 Tennessee-Martin 24, JSU 14
Sep 16, 200 Tennessee-Martin 35, Gardner Webb 9
Sep 07, 200 Tennessee-Martin 28, Urbana University 0
Sep 2, 2006 Ohio 29, Tennessee-Martin 3

siugrad99
November 20th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Please don't throw that schedule out at us. That just give you less credibility. As for stopping Whitlock.. Good Luck only 2 teams have held him under 100 this season and he had 120 and 3TD's with only 19 minutes off the clock Saturday. You better focus on stopping something other than Arkie or he'll be sittin on the sidelines by halftime as the score will look like the SUU score. As for the 2004 comment I totally agree. SIU was handed the road to Noga and blew it. Kill cost us the game by giving Jacobs a series off and letting Terry Jackson run us to a 3 and out. If Jacobs plays that series we probably score as they were unable to stop him all day and that would have given us a 3 score lead, instead we give it back and they strike right away and our 11 point lead goes to 4 instead of 18. Still hurts :( BUT we can erase that memory with a deep run this season.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM
With both teams having strong running backs, it might come down to the QBs.

SIU-Nick Hill
passing:
108-171, 1555 yards(5.2yds/carry), 14 TDs, 3 INTs.
rushing
74 carries, 386 yards, 6 TDs

SIU-Jon Cairns
passing:
4-7, 85 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs
rushing:
4 carries, 16 yards(4 yds/carry), 0 TDs

UTM-Greg Preston
passing:
55-114, 700 yards, 5 TDs, 5 INTs
rushing:
28 carries, 28 yards(1 yds/carry), 2 TDs

UTM-Dexter Anoka
passing:
46-88, 422 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs
rushing:
23 carries, 188 yards(8.2 yds/carry, O TDs

I think the Salukis have a clear edge here. The SkyHawks seem to have 2 freshman QBs fighting for playing time. The Salukis have stuck with junior Nick Hill most of the season. This just gives the Saluki offense more balance even though both teams emphasize the rush.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Laughter can turn to tears, tears to agony, agony to defeat......

11-18-06 Tennessee-Martin 42, Murray State 14
Nov 11, 2006 Eastern Kentucky 31, Tennessee-Martin 28
Nov 04, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 28, Southeast Missouri 14
Oct 28, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 15, Eastern Illinois 9
Oct 21, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 10, Samford 6
Oct 05, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 35, Tennessee Tech 16
Sep 30, 2006 Tennessee-Martin 20, Austin Peay 10
Sep 23, 200 Tennessee-Martin 24, JSU 14
Sep 16, 200 Tennessee-Martin 35, Gardner Webb 9
Sep 07, 200 Tennessee-Martin 28, Urbana University 0
Sep 2, 2006 Ohio 29, Tennessee-Martin 3

Compared to:

08/31/06 Lock Haven 49 0
09/16/06 Indiana 35 28
09/23/06 Ark.-Pine Bluff 48 16
09/30/06 Indiana St. 55 3
10/07/06 Western Ill. 31 24
10/14/06 Illinois St. 10 37
10/21/06 Western Ky. 24 27
10/28/06 Missouri St. 27 17
11/04/06 Youngstown St. 24 31
11/11/06 Northern Iowa 47 23
11/18/06 Southern Utah 59 0

Hmmmm. :thumbsup:

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah that UT-M defense sure looks stellar against the MIGHTY OVC!!

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I see this every year in high school football. A team that has been there before starts overlooking the first round and gets taking out by a team running off pure adrenaline.

Seems to me not alot of people are giving UTM a chance. I am glad to see that. I know the players will be fired up and ready to go come Saturday and alot of fans are heading up to Carbondale, including alot of students coming back early from break to cheer on the Skyhawks. I will be one of them. So you guys go ahead and expect a blowout by SIU.

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Right. Coach Kill and SIU are some of the coolest customers in the GFC. There is a reason they have made the playoffs for the last 3 years.

EIUsuperfan
November 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Kick their ass UTM!! We'll see you guys in the second round(Go OVC)!!!! GO EIU!

saluki_in_ohio
November 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM

Most likely it will be a rematch of ISU and SIU. Sorry.

Saluki_man
November 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
I see this every year in high school football. A team that has been there before starts overlooking the first round and gets taking out by a team running off pure adrenaline.

Seems to me not alot of people are giving UTM a chance. I am glad to see that. I know the players will be fired up and ready to go come Saturday and alot of fans are heading up to Carbondale, including alot of students coming back early from break to cheer on the Skyhawks. I will be one of them. So you guys go ahead and expect a blowout by SIU.

I don't think SIU will be taking this game very lightly. WKU kinda smacked us for doing that exact thing this year. i expect SIU to come out focused and prepared to play.

Saluki_man
November 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Most likely it will be a rematch of ISU and SIU. Sorry.

Actually, if ISU wins they will face the winner of JMU/YSU. ISU can't meet SIU untill Nooga. If that happens there will be a lot of people surprised.

saluki_in_ohio
November 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Actually, if ISU wins they will face the winner of JMU/YSU. ISU can't meet SIU untill Nooga. If that happens there will be a lot of people surprised.

Oops, my bad.

SO ILLmatic
November 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM
So you guys go ahead and expect a blowout by SIU.

Im not expecting a blowout, Im expecting both teams to play with the intentions of moving on to the quarterfinals. Im just puzzled by the UT-M fans talking about how they will most likely shut down the saluki running game. This isnt your everyday, run of the mill backfield. Arkee, what else do you have to say? And Randle can come in and put up some good yards. Also, Hill can run the ball whenever pressure is applied.

Hey UT-M's defense may limit the amount of Saluki rushing yards, but I know that they wont completely stop the run. Like I said before, Im going to the game expecting it to be a good one. Good luck to both squads.

hawkeye
November 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM

Same here. Go EUI!!! Im sick of all the riff raff "WERE FROM THE GATEWAY". Who gives a damn. I dare to say this is from blogs who has never straped on a helmet and knocked the snot bubbles from somebody. They will soon find out.

skinny_uncle
November 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Check your schedule. The winner of the Saluki-Skyhawk game faces the winner of Montana-McNeese,

hawkeye
November 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Please don't throw that schedule out at us. That just give you less credibility. As for stopping Whitlock.. Good Luck only 2 teams have held him under 100 this season and he had 120 and 3TD's with only 19 minutes off the clock Saturday. You better focus on stopping something other than Arkie or he'll be sittin on the sidelines by halftime as the score will look like the SUU score. As for the 2004 comment I totally agree. SIU was handed the road to Noga and blew it. Kill cost us the game by giving Jacobs a series off and letting Terry Jackson run us to a 3 and out. If Jacobs plays that series we probably score as they were unable to stop him all day and that would have given us a 3 score lead, instead we give it back and they strike right away and our 11 point lead goes to 4 instead of 18. Still hurts :( BUT we can erase that memory with a deep run this season.

OK OK OK: How bout this for credibility?
November 20, 2006
National Weekly Championship Subdivision All-Stars Named
College Sporting News
Donald Chapman
Jr., Tenn-Martin, RB Jason Murrietta
Sr., Northern Arizona, QB
Allen Nelson
So., McNeese St., LB
Chandre' Ward
Sr., Prairie View, LB

ALL-STARS 11/20/06

Donald Chapman, Tennessee-Martin vs Murray State, 5-10, 215, Junior, Running Back, Marietta, GA.
Chapman rushed 30 times for 206 yards and three touchdowns to help Tennessee-Martin claim a share of its first Ohio Valley Conference championship and the automatic bid to the playoffs with a 42-14 victory at Murray State. The Skyhawks clinched their first-ever I-AA playoff bid with the win. Chapman had scoring runs of 30, one and 12 yards, scoring once in each of the first three quarters. He averaged 6.9 yards per carry. It was the second year in a row that Chapman had scorched the Racers for more than 200 yards. He had 237 yards and four touchdowns on 47 carries in 2005 against Murray State. Chapman finished the regular season with 1,307 yards rushing, 13 touchdowns and a 5.5 average per carry. He has three 1,000-yard rushing seasons in three years.

siugrad99
November 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
What in the world does your little post have to do with mine ? Keep the faith my friends. SIU will keep the OVC winless in the playoffs for the past 10 seasons. Drive Safely and thanks for playing.

hawkeye
November 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
What in the world does your little post have to do with mine ? Keep the faith my friends. SIU will keep the OVC winless in the playoffs for the past 10 seasons. Drive Safely and thanks for playing.

Duh...the question credibility...Mr Chapman has just as much as Mr. Whitlock...And the fact he is mentioned as subdivision all-star. Im done with you SIUgrad99. I dont have time to read your messages back to you. Hope your not planning any after game celebrations. Well...Bring whiskey it will ease the pain for you.

Saluki Fan in FL
November 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Same here. Go EUI!!! Im sick of all the riff raff "WERE FROM THE GATEWAY". Who gives a damn. I dare to say this is from blogs who has never straped on a helmet and knocked the snot bubbles from somebody. They will soon find out.

Wow! Think he's tired of Gateway success?

Warm Wishes,
Riff Raff

siugrad99
November 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
LOL we will see if Chapman is in Arkie's category. Is he a finalist for the Payton ? The OVC is not the Gateway my friend and you'll find out what EIU did last season. Your conference is weak and can't win the playoffs. Proven by the 10 year draught. Keep running your mouth, I just hope you shut it long enough to drink your sorrows away Saturday.

JSUGrad
November 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Compared to:

08/31/06 Lock Haven 49 0
09/16/06 Indiana 35 28
09/23/06 Ark.-Pine Bluff 48 16
09/30/06 Indiana St. 55 3
10/07/06 Western Ill. 31 24
10/14/06 Illinois St. 10 37
10/21/06 Western Ky. 24 27
10/28/06 Missouri St. 27 17
11/04/06 Youngstown St. 24 31
11/11/06 Northern Iowa 47 23
11/18/06 Southern Utah 59 0

Hmmmm. :thumbsup:

What is so grand and so Strong about your schedule? Not impressed at all.

Remember on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY and this SATURDAY may be the SATURDAY that SIU gets BEAT !

hawkeye
November 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
I appologize for my behavior. No more smack on the fact thread. SIU99, you are correct. you guys are world champions. Best of the best and number one. I dont know what I was thinking. See you Saturday. :smiley_wi

JSUGrad
November 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
LOL we will see if Chapman is in Arkie's category. Is he a finalist for the Payton ? The OVC is not the Gateway my friend and you'll find out what EIU did last season. Your conference is weak and can't win the playoffs. Proven by the 10 year draught. Keep running your mouth, I just hope you shut it long enough to drink your sorrows away Saturday.

TALK IS CHEAP ! SEE YOU ON THE FIELD !

crashnburn
November 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
UT-Martin is an 18 point underdog on Pinnacle. That seems like free money since they have a legitamite shot to win straight up. I'm really scratching my head on that one.

Chi Panther
November 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
SIU has the best player on the field......if its close....that will be the difference.....

EIUsuperfan
November 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Check your schedule. The winner of the Saluki-Skyhawk game faces the winner of Montana-McNeese,

I wasn't refering to playing them, just both teams advancing. I'm not an idiot, just should have been more clear.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
The OVC is weak. Will be proven when they go 0-2 in the 1st Round. :hurray:

Maybe Eastern Illinois should move to an easier league since they didn't get the autobid. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Saluki Fan in FL
November 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
What is so grand and so Strong about your schedule? Not impressed at all.

Remember on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY and this SATURDAY may be the SATURDAY that SIU gets BEAT !

You're kidding right? If you can't see strength in that schedule, you need to up-rez your monitor. YSU, ISU, and SIU all made the playoffs. All three, are top ten. YSU is number 4. The only reason UNI didn't make it, is because other conferences would'a had a fit. Even though we all know, that UNI could beat half the teams in the playoffs... including ones in the top 5. Remember last weekend when they beat ISU... well, if you hadn't heard... they were #6 at the time.

As for the I-A team on our schedule... No, Indiana didn't do the greatest this year, but if they would have beaten Perdue they would have been Bowl eligible. Indiana's no slouch... and for SIU to beat 'em says alot. It wasn't Indiana's first game on their schedule either. If SIU can beat that Indiana team, they can beat anyone. If we bring our "A" game...

Hopefully on Saturday, we'll bring our I-A game!!!

Congrats to UTM for making the playoffs. You guys got hosed over not being OVC champs. EIU simply scheduled one more conference game then you guys. A shame too. You guys are the better team.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Indiana's no slouch... and for SIU to beat 'em says alot. It wasn't Indiana's first game on their schedule either. If SIU can beat that Indiana team, they can beat anyone. If we bring our "A" game....

I was with you until you said that. Beating Indiana this year was a big accomplishment for a I-AA team. But in the world of BCS teams, Indiana is mediocre . Surely you realize that SIU would not have any realistic shot, at all, to beat the better BCS league teams. Beating Indiana does not mean SIU could beat teams like Ohio State and Michigan.

redbirdtim
November 22nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
I'd take the Salukis by 10-14 points in this one. Whitlock will be the best back UT-M has faced so far.

Saluki Fan in FL
November 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Woah, woah, woah... I didn't say anything about teams like Ohio St. and Michigan. Hell, while you're at it why don't you throw USC, UFL, and ND in there. :smiley_wi

No, don't misunderstand me. What I said was that if we can beat that Indiana team... who finished their season with, I believe, 6 wins (not too bad) then we can beat anyone. In I-AA!!! I should have been specific about who I meant. :thumbsup:

redbirdtim
November 22nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Indiana, Illinois St., UNI, YSU, WKU...those are some pretty good teams. Sure you have games over Indiana St., MSU, and Lockheed? But, SIU didn't have a cakewalk sched.

redbirdtim
November 22nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Indiana, Illinois St., UNI, YSU, WKU...those are some pretty good teams. Sure you have games over Indiana St., MSU, and Lockheed? SIU may not have the toughest schedule, but it's no cakewalk.

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
Indiana, Illinois St., UNI, YSU, WKU...those are some pretty good teams. Sure you have games over Indiana St., MSU, and Lockheed? SIU may not have the toughest schedule, but it's no cakewalk.
It was Lockhaven. I don't think SIU played an airplane manufacturer. Let's throw in the Arkansas-Pine Bluff game. APB will be playing for the SWAC championship. SIU smoked them 48-16 on the road.

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
hawkeye

Chapman finished the regular season with 1,307 yards rushing, 13 touchdowns and a 5.5 average per carry.
Arkee had 1541 yards, 21 touchdowns, and a 5.8 average per carry. Chapman may be a good back, but I don't see him as being any better than Arkee. What else you got?

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
You're kidding right? If you can't see strength in

Congrats to UTM for making the playoffs. You guys got hosed over not being OVC champs. EIU simply scheduled one more conference game then you guys. A shame too. You guys are the better team.

Actually UTM was the conference champ and got the auto bid into the playoffs. EIU and Martin shared the title but UTM won the tiebreaker to gain the auto bid. The reason EIU had one more conference game was due to it being UTMs year not to play TSU who is only required to play 7 conference games.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
Actually UTM was the conference champ and got the auto bid into the playoffs. EIU and Martin shared the title but UTM won the tiebreaker to gain the auto bid. The reason EIU had one more conference game was due to it being UTMs year not to play TSU who is only required to play 7 conference games.
Congrats on your conference title. I understand this is your first trip to the playoffs. That is quite an accomplishment in itself. 16 teams are playing this weekend. Over 100 teams are sitting at home wishing they were in your shoes.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 23rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Congrats on your conference title. I understand this is your first trip to the playoffs. That is quite an accomplishment in itself. 16 teams are playing this weekend. Over 100 teams are sitting at home wishing they were in your shoes.

Yeah this is true, and that is why me and alot of opther students are heading back to Martin on Friday night so we can make the trip to Carbondale on Sat. Can't wait for the Skyhawks to gain some respect around the country and from these Gateway fans.

siugrad99
November 23rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
Gain some respect in a losing effort maybe. Chapman maybe good (yet to be seen) but lets see who he's gained those yards against. Pretty sure Arkie's yards and TD's came against a bit stiffer competition. You laugh when we talk about it, but you'll see the difference Saturday. EIU did last season and you will this one.

Saluki Fan in FL
November 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah this is true, and that is why me and alot of opther students are heading back to Martin on Friday night so we can make the trip to Carbondale on Sat. Can't wait for the Skyhawks to gain some respect around the country and from these Gateway fans.

You already got it!

EIUsuperfan
November 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Gain some respect in a losing effort maybe. Chapman maybe good (yet to be seen) but lets see who he's gained those yards against. Pretty sure Arkie's yards and TD's came against a bit stiffer competition. You laugh when we talk about it, but you'll see the difference Saturday. EIU did last season and you will this one.

Ha, yes EIU did. Good luck to both teams on Saturday! Whitlock is great back, and I had a chance to see Chapman in Martin for the EIU game. He also is very good. Whitlock should be a good challenge for UTM's defense. I believe Vincent Webb Jr.(EIU) rushed for a little over 100 against UTM this year, but those yards were hard fought and on a lot of carries. Should be a good match-up. I hope a lot of UTM fans make it to the game. Again, good luck to both teams!

Skyhawks
November 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
I thought that throwing out some stats would be a good way to settle some of this trash talking. I couldn't get it to format the way I wanted it to. The first number on each line is UT-Martin's National Rank in the category. The second number is SIU's National Rank in that category. The third number is the difference between the two teams rankings. I know that stats do not always tell the complete story, but here are somethings that I noticed looking at the rankings. UTM was ranked higher in 15 categories. SIU was ranked higher in 18 categories.

Offense
SIU leads UTM in offensive categories, and UTM leads in 2 categories for offense.

Defense
UTM leads SIU in 10 of the defensive categories. SIU leads in 2 defensive categories.

Special Teams
SIU leads in 3 special team categories, and UTM leads in 2 special team categories.

SIU leads in Fewest penalties per game, and fewest penalty yards per game. UTM leads in the turn over margin. These 3 stats I could not assign strictly to offense, defense, or special teams.

Rushing Offense 9 3 6
Passing Offense 110 93 17
Total Offense 65 9 56
Scoring Offense 42 2 40
Rushing Defense 11 42 31
Pass Defense 7 66 59
Total Defense 5 44 39
Scoring Defense 8 26 18
Net Punting 106 19 87
Punt Returns 15 11 4
Kick Off Returns 19 39 20
Turn Over Margin 48 54 6
Fumbles Recovered 29 98 69
Passes Intercepted 35 96 61
Fumbles Lost 95 33 62
Passes Had Intercepted 30 1 29
Turn Overs Gained 23 113 90
Turn Overs Lost 66 10 56
Passing Efficiency 101 7 94
Pass Efficiency Defense 4 37 33
Fewest Penalties Per Game 85 24 61
Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game 95 38 57
Punt Return Yardage Defense 40 26 14
Kick Off Return Yardage Defense 27 50 23
Sacks 53 16 37
Tackles For Loss 50 21 29
Sacks Allowed 18 7 11
Tackles For Loss Allowed 9 18 9
3rd Down Conversion Percentage 63 9 54
4th Down Conversion Percentage 36 4 32
3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense 12 80 68
4th Down Conversion Percentage Defense 2 30 38
Time of Possession 40 76 36

From what I have heard SIU is an extreme favorite in this game and probably for good reason when comparing the offensive rankings. I think that this game will be closer than the odds claim though based on UTM's defensive rankings. We will have to wait and see on Saturday though. I think the game could go either way. If you listen to some of the SIU people on this board they could already be looking towards the 2nd round game and could be suprised by a good UTM team that no one knows anything about. Then again Martin could follow the recent history of the OVC and could completely choke in the first play-off appearrance since moving to DI.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Just because some fans are already looking forward to the second round does not mean the team is. Coach Kill is smarter than that. I think SIU will win, but that does not mean I expect an easy game. Teams have to be pretty good just to make it into the playoffs. Only 16 teams make it in. You can't afford to overlook anyone at this level. I think the Dawgs will be well prepared for this game.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I do think UTM's defense is legit, though I could be wrong. But I don't think they have the QB to get them past SIU.

Skyhawks
November 24th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I do think UTM's defense is legit, though I could be wrong. But I don't think they have the QB to get them past SIU.

I don't think that you can go through an 11 game schedule posting the defensive numbers that they have if you do not have a legit defense. I know they have played in an easier conference, but the OVC does have some decent teams in it (EIU, EKU, Jacksonville State). It will be interesting to see how their defense will do against someone with Arkie's ability.

The QB is something that could hurt UTM. Two freshman splitting the time is not exactly your ideal starting QB. They have to be doing something right though to go 9-2 on the season.

Pantherpower
November 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Just because some fans are already looking forward to the second round does not mean the team is. Coach Kill is smarter than that. I think SIU will win, but that does not mean I expect an easy game. Teams have to be pretty good just to make it into the playoffs. Only 16 teams make it in. You can't afford to overlook anyone at this level. I think the Dawgs will be well prepared for this game.

Wrong. Some teams simply need to be a member of an inferior conference and win the conference to receive the autobid. The Selection Committee, with its staggering intellectual capacity, will even go so far to award an at large bid (EIU) to a team whose conference hasn't won a playoff game in over ten years. Memo to ISU and SIU: Bury these OVC sisters of the poor. Bury them! Prove how absolutely dumb it was on their part to award an at-large bid to a team from that pop warner league.

Saluki Fan in FL
November 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Since nobody answered my question on the Airing of first round games thread... can someone here answer it?

Is the SIU-UT Martin game gonna be streamed. If so, for free? Up until now, I've been just listening to the radio game online. Next year I plan to subscribe to Salukivision to actually watch them online. But Salukivision will not be streaming the playoffs. At least I don't think.

Anyone?

Skyhawks
November 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Wrong. Some teams simply need to be a member of an inferior conference and win the conference to receive the autobid. The Selection Committee, with its staggering intellectual capacity, will even go so far to award an at large bid (EIU) to a team whose conference hasn't won a playoff game in over ten years. Memo to ISU and SIU: Bury these OVC sisters of the poor. Bury them! Prove how absolutely dumb it was on their part to award an at-large bid to a team from that pop warner league.

Someone sounds like they are a little upset that their team did not get into the playoffs. Even if the OVC loses both games in the first round at least they got in. I am sorry UNI plays in the Gateway. Maybe you need to switch to a pop warner league like the OVC so you get to play in the playoffs.

EIUsuperfan
November 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Since nobody answered my question on the Airing of first round games thread... can someone here answer it?

Is the SIU-UT Martin game gonna be streamed. If so, for free? Up until now, I've been just listening to the radio game online. Next year I plan to subscribe to Salukivision to actually watch them online. But Salukivision will not be streaming the playoffs. At least I don't think.

Anyone?

I thought I saw on the SIUC athletics website that Salukivision was streaming the game but I could be wrong.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Someone sounds like they are a little upset that their team did not get into the playoffs. Even if the OVC loses both games in the first round at least they got in. I am sorry UNI plays in the Gateway. Maybe you need to switch to a pop warner league like the OVC so you get to play in the playoffs.

Don't worry about him. This guy can't understand how EIU got in the playoffs. Even though EIU lost to 2 Division 1-A schools (including against one of the top 3 QBs in the nation), then their only other two losses were on the road against 2 playoff bound teams. Sounds like to me that they deserve to be in the playoffs.

redbirdtim
November 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM
EIU is in a special boat. EIU didn't lose to anyone bad, but who did they beat that was good? Is their best win over EKU?

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 24th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah but UNI losses look a whole lot worse than EIU's lack of qaulity wins. Loss to Division II North Dakota and 5-6 Western Illinois did UNI in. But if UNI fans have to down the OVC to make themselves feel better its ok.

Skyhawks
November 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Anyone?

This was posted on the UT-Martin website.

MARTIN, Tenn. --- Southern Illinois will provide live video streaming of Saturday's football championship game against the Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. at McAndrew Stadium in Carbondale, IL.

To watch the video streaming go to siusalukis.cstv.com. Click on the button "for more information" under SalukiVision to subscribe to the game.

EIUsuperfan
November 24th, 2006, 07:22 PM
EIU is in a special boat. EIU didn't lose to anyone bad, but who did they beat that was good? Is their best win over EKU?

I would have to say yes. Despite EKUs record they are a great team, quite a few talented players. I believe they have had 10+years with a winning record. Also this year they were able to pull off an upset against UTM in Martin. Yes you are right, no bad losses but no quality wins. I'm glad the committee gave us a chance in the post-season. We've had quite a few downers this year with Sellers' possibly career ending injury, and our head coach, Bob Spoo, has been out all year with medical problems. Hopefully we can pull off a big win against a good ISU team.

siugrad99
November 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Great Teams make the playoffs. EKU... not a great team. EKU an is an OK team, borderline good team. Don't sugarcoat your best win. You are in the playoffs because you didn't lose to anyone bad & had the extra conference game.

Skyhawks
November 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Great Teams make the playoffs. EKU... not a great team. EKU an is an OK team, borderline good team. Don't sugarcoat your best win. You are in the playoffs because you didn't lose to anyone bad & had the extra conference game.

So basically what you are telling me is that since several of the teams that are ranked in the top 25 are not in the playoffs then they are not a good team. Am I understanding that right?

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Great Teams make the playoffs.

McNeese and MSU are not great teams by any stretch of the imagination

EKU05
November 24th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I would have to say yes. Despite EKUs record they are a great team, quite a few talented players. I believe they have had 10+years with a winning record. Also this year they were able to pull off an upset against UTM in Martin. Yes you are right, no bad losses but no quality wins. I'm glad the committee gave us a chance in the post-season. We've had quite a few downers this year with Sellers' possibly career ending injury, and our head coach, Bob Spoo, has been out all year with medical problems. Hopefully we can pull off a big win against a good ISU team.

That's actually 29 years with a winning record and 34 without a losing record...the best streak of any currect CS program and second in Division I to Michigan.

I think we saw what the Colonels were capable of the last few weeks of the season. The O-line finally came together and that made all the difference. I think you could make a strong case that EKU is the best team in the OVC as of this moment right now...but certainly they didn't have any kind of a season that would merit a playoff birth...not even close.

The question still lingers...if Danny Hope's teams can always finish so strong why do they ALWAYS stumble early?

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 25th, 2006, 12:59 AM

It just shows you how ignorant you are. EIU did not have an extra conference game. TSU and UTM had one less conference game than the others, due to a special exception granted to TSU. The OVC plays an 8 game conference schedule. So get your butt out of the Gateway and open your eyes to the rest of college football. My friend from EKU just gave some facts that EKU is a top notch program. Anytime you can go that long without a losing season, you are doing something right.

Killsback
November 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Score prediction..

SIU 31
UTM 10

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Score prediction..

SIU 31
UTM 10

I'd agree. :thumbsup:

siugrad99
November 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Going without a losing season... very nice, but does not make you a Top Notch program (SIU's last 4 years does not make us a Top Notch program either so don't think i'm being a homer). EIU didn't play an "Extra" game, but they did play one more than those others mentioned which definitely helped them get in. I don't need to "get my head out of the Gateway" to know the OVC hasn't won in the playoffs in 10 years and I don't see them winning this season. Enjoy your trip to the playoffs and as i've stated before, becareful drinking home as I hope the tears in your eyes don't affect your vision too much driving.