LarryBoy
November 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM
How...the...heck.....?

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM
BS.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I've stopped worrying about what the committee is thinking. They always suprise me.

Long story is, a healthy Furman team will go up there show em some southern fried football.

BeauFoster
November 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
This matchup looks like regionalization at it finest. Has the committee just tossed that out the window or do they need a globe?

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Truthfully I think, even away, this is an easier game for us than, say, UNH. But it still makes no sense.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Horrible call. I'm suprised Montana St got in, let alone hosting.

gsugt1
November 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM
It kind of reminds me of last year when they shipped us to to play texas State a seeded team. :eyebrow:

griz&beer
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
What the hell? Oh well.. Go big Sky

FUwolfpacker
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Oh well, what's done is done. If we're healthy it should be a good game. But I won't be able to see the game unfortunately now:(.

Time for the boys to get to work.

AndrewFU21
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Well, MSU is probably the best matchup we could have hoped for I suppose. It does suck for us fans that the game is up in Bozeman. Any chance that this game gets on some sort of TV? CSS perhaps?

griz8791
November 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
This Griz fan will be in Bozeman to watch the show. Both my wife's family and my family live in Bozeman and we go there every year for Thanksgiving, so it will be easier for me to get to this game than Missoula.

Cat fans have been waiting 22 years for this home game. The weather there in late November just flat out sucks. Last year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving it was in the teens with howling wind and plenty of wind-driven snow. I remember thinking it was a waste of perfectly good Montana playoff weather.

JDC325
November 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Total BS. Would like to hear the reasoning behind this one! Total slap in the face to Furman and the SoCon. : smh :

FUtilitspurple
November 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
This is worse than Villanova...

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Great matchup!!

Time you Southerners come up to Big Sky country and see how football is played!!

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
The weather is a good reason not to play in Bozeman, along with Montana State probably being the last team in. But anyhow, the weather shouldn't really give MSU that big a boost... Furman runs the ball more than they do.

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
my guess is, these are the last 2 at-large teams selected

SeattleGriz
Very simple. MSU outbid Furman, that is why they got the home game.

I see how everyone on here talks about having to bid 30K and they get to host, and that is just not how it works. The higher bid gets the game.

gsugt1
Is Montana State 7-4 ?

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Is Montana State 7-4 ?
yes, with a division 2 loss and a 1-A win

JDC325
November 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Great matchup!!

Time you Southerners come up to Big Sky country and see how football is played!!

?xidiotx I think App State proved last year we got a pretty good handle on how this football thing is played. Thanks for the invite though!

AndrewFU21
According to weather.com, the high for Bozeman next Saturday is 33 degrees. BURRR!

I can think of a certain 250 pound man who will be mighty tough to tackle in that weather.

FUtilitspurple
my guess is, these are the last 2 at-large teams selected
Doubt it.

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
the bobcats have a good run defense and run the flex just like cal poly. but with rolovich hurt and groves out again, this might not be a high scoring game.

VictorG
November 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Let me be the 1st to say that field conditions will be a factor. They have natural turf and it will be frozen. If it gets warmer, there may be mud.

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL95/5192267/12523693/206242306.jpg

Griz Grunt
November 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Congrats to the Cats on being selected, here's to a great FU - MSU matchup in Bozeman!:hurray:

Cincy App
November 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Very simple. MSU outbid Furman, that is why they got the home game.

I really believe that this "bidding" talk is over-done. Most teams bid the minimum amount as a guarantee and then project what attendance they expect to share with the NCAA at a 75% clip. The Committee also strongly considers which schools are more able to host.

I also don't think it is a coincidence that there are 3 potential conference rematches in the 2nd round but in none of these sub-brackets are both conference teams at home. ASU-Furman, YSU-ISU, and UMass-UNH are potential second round matchups but in all cases, the 2nd unseeded conference team is forced to play on the road. Again, I don't think it's a coincidence that Furman, ISU, and UNH are on the road.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
im just happy we are on the other side of the bracket as MSU.....cause you never know what would happen if there was a brawl of the wild2 rematch.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
furman would have a good chance in this game if it was at home where we have won 19 of our last 20 (last home lost 2004 quarterfinal 14-13 to james madison, eventual champion, when we fumbled at the 1 yard line which would have put us up by two scores in 4th).

i would give us a 1 in 10 chance of winning against montana state on the ROAD in the COLD!!! ALL OF OUR INJURIES WILL NOT BE HELPED BY THE COLD.

MONTANA STATE WILL BE FAVORED TO WIN!

I AM SHOCKED WE DID NOT GET A HOME GAME (most thought it was at least 50-50), but to have to travel such a long trip to such a COLD place. we like to play in the 70's...lol.

CatFan22
November 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I really really really hope it snows. Damn that would be fun to watch.

Phrebert
November 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
:confused: I hope the Cats win after getting roughed up in Missoula.

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Let me be the 1st to say that field conditions will be a factor. They have natural turf and it will be frozen. If it gets warmer, there may be mud.

too true. last year's cat/griz game was a perfect example. i remember when we had the crappy field conditions and had the advantage. also note to furman fans bobcats are unruly creatures who will heckle you like none other.

CatFan22
November 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
too true. last year's cat/griz game was a perfect example. i remember when we had the crappy field conditions and had the advantage. also note to furman fans bobcats are unruly creatures who will heckle you like none other.

BWAHAHAHAHAA! :nod:

GrizFanIRAQ
November 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I sure hope those Furman boys of South Carolina like the possibility of the game in Bozeman having weather that could easily be in the mid 20's with blowing wind and SNOW!!! Oh yeah the have real grass which tranlates into FROZEN TUNDRA!!!!! :hurray: :hurray: :twocents: :twocents:

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I ASSUME THAT MEANS NATURAL LIKE IN REAL GRASS?

VictorG
November 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Yup, real frozen brown grass.

Cincy App
November 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM

There's no grass in Montana this time of year!

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I really really really hope it snows. Damn that would be fun to watch.

in the 1989 semis here-furman vs. stephen f. austin, it started snowing after the game started and you could not even see the field after half time. furman missed an extra point early, so when we scored a TD with 20 secs left to be down 21-19, we had to go for two, and were stopped, and lost. many feel that team was better than our 1988 national championship team, but we were playing with a backup QB. ga southern beat sfa in the finals.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I don't see how possible bad conditions favor the Bobcats all that much. It's not like it never gets cold in the South.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I don't see how possible bad conditions favor the Bobcats all that much. It's not like it never gets cold in the South.
simple, because they have more experience playing in it. The players are used to the cold in comparison because of the rest of the year that they dont even play football...it gets cold.

Bozeman will garanteed see a week if not more below 0, usually beginning of february or so. The people that live there dont get affected from the cold the same as people who dont see it often. The players are no different, their bodies adapt to deal with the cold. Their bodies learn to absorb the hard ground from playing on it more. While furman may be a running team and it may not affect them quite as much as a big passing team, the slicker, harder ball, harder ground taking its toll on tackles, etc is an advantage for the Cats

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Sure there is. In fact, in the eastern part of MT, there literally thousands of square miles of it.

Dormant. Maybe under snow. Crunchy to walk on, and likely frozen down several inches.

If it's green, the grounds crew has been out with spray paint. ;p

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Felton seems like he hasnt been the same after his injury before the app game. Then again there are rumors of MSU's QB Rolovich having a bruised kidney. How important is he? I hope furmans flying, according to googlemaps the drive is a day and 14 hours

BigSkyGrizGano
November 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Tell that to all the teams that come up to Montana when its in the 30s. aka. Northwestern St. who lost 56-7 to the Griz when it was in the thirties. Their players were all bundled up and the Griz hardly even noticed the weather.

FUtilitspurple
November 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM
If it's OK with y'all, we'll still show up.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM

true...it is less than 60 here in greenville today...BBRRRRR....cold!

montana state will have a huge advantage because of the weather!

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM
If it's OK with y'all, we'll still show up.
PLEASE DO!!! nothin better than a great football game with some great crowd support!!! I hope we see 8 close, awsome, hard fought games come out of the first week!!!

Walkon79
November 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM
simple, because they have more experience playing in it. The players are used to the cold in comparison because of the rest of the year that they dont even play football...it gets cold.

Bozeman will garanteed see a week if not more below 0, usually beginning of february or so. The people that live there dont get affected from the cold the same as people who dont see it often. The players are no different, their bodies adapt to deal with the cold. Their bodies learn to absorb the hard ground from playing on it more. While furman may be a running team and it may not affect them quite as much as a big passing team, the slicker, harder ball, harder ground taking its toll on tackles, etc is an advantage for the Cats

This is mitigated somewhat by a rash of D1 drop-downs from places like Arizona and Cali. I don't think most of our skill position kids would play well in cold, snowy weather.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
This is mitigated somewhat by a rash of D1 drop-downs from places like Arizona and Cali. I don't think most of our skill position kids would play well in cold, snowy weather.
yea, i forgot, MSU has a problem with putting Montana boys on thier roster (msu has 5, u of m has 15):p :p

But seriously, those cali and arizona kids still are more used to the cold than someone coming from somewere that rarely gets cold. They still have the whole school year there during the winter

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM
yea, i forgot, MSU has a problem with putting Montana boys on thier roster (msu has 5, u of m has 15):p :p

But seriously, those cali and arizona kids still are more used to the cold than someone coming from somewere that rarely gets cold. They still have the whole school year there during the winter

I would agree with you mschn. When I moved from Phoenix to Seattle, it took me about 2-3 weeks before I adapted to the weather being 30 degrees cooler.

The Bobcats have had all year to adapt.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Felton seems like he hasnt been the same after his injury before the app game. Then again there are rumors of MSU's QB Rolovich having a bruised kidney. How important is he? I hope furmans flying, according to googlemaps the drive is a day and 14 hours

Bruised Kidney is true. Don't know the extent of the injury but remember, Carpenter was the starter in week one, and probably would have still had that job without a high ankle sprain. Carpenter throws with less velocity, but is more accurate and less of a gunslinger. The Cats should be okay at QB. We're banged up at tailback too, but the kid you'll see (Mason) set a freshmen rushing record at MSU this year, and should have fresh legs after seeing limited action this month up to the Griz game.

What you will see is one of the best defenses in the country, second to the Griz in the Big Sky, and one of the best in the country statistically against the run.

I think this is the key match-up: FU's running game against the Bobcat front 7.

griz8791
November 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I don't think most of our skill position kids would play well in cold, snowy weather.

But now they're going to get the chance. Beats hell out of never knowing what could have been.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
If it was going to be 15 degrees, I think Furman would be at a greater disadvantage. Mid-30s I think they will be able to deal with. I just think some people are going overboard on the dominant role of the weather... Montana for instance has done well at home in past playoffs for a lot of reasons, i.e. having a great team, having a big, loud stadium, etc.

I think the game will be decided in the same ways most are... how the teams execute. IF Felton is healthy, I think the Paladins will have a very good chance to win. Backup RB LaFrance also has had injury problems lately, and at 6'2, 220 he would be a nice guy to throw in there some.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I just hope Jefferson can catch a few ball this weekend. Bad case of the drops against the griz.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I just hope Jefferson can catch a few ball this weekend. Bad case of the drops against the griz.
getting your head almost knocked off a few times didnt help his case of the dropps, i would look for him to rebound:thumbsup:

Walkon79
November 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
getting your head almost knocked off a few times didnt help his case of the dropps, i would look for him to rebound:thumbsup:

Can't argue that. Two of the hardest hitting defenses I ever saw, at any level. The Griz made a few more big plays tho.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Can't argue that. Two of the hardest hitting defenses I ever saw, at any level. The Griz made a few more big plays tho.
I agree there!! there were some great hits in that game and it came down to a few guys stepping up. U know when multiple helmets get knocked of in a game guys are out there hitting like they want to make a difference. It was one heck of a great defencive game no matter how you look at it!! I am SOOOO glad we dont have a chance of meeting in the playoffs unless its for a championship:thumbsup:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Pretty darn ridiculous if you ask me... but someone's gotta go all the way out there. Sorry Furman, I'm with ya in the boat of WTF NCAA???

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
furman has had no running game with felton hurt. not sure if he will be anywhere close to 100% for the game. i am more concerned about renalydo gray's high ankle sprain/recurring injury. furman comes limping into the playoffs but hopefully the week off will help us. i am not optimistic.

for a montana state fan: what is a link to your website?

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
i beleave their website is http://www.msubobcats.com/

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Hey matfu... chill out bro. We're not that bad.

griz8791
November 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I think you're probably looking for www.bobcatnation.com.

Try not to get hit by any flying champagne corks while you're in there. :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
GO FURMAN!!!! Way to screw another bracket up committee. I have nothing against the Bobcats, but I hate to see this matchup when all we hear about is regionalization.

UNH at Hampton? That makes sense too.

Sorry Furman, I really think a midwest team should have been sent out there. Whattya gonna do though!

AndrewFU21
November 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Game time is 11:30 Mountain, 1:30 Eastern according to the FU site. The Furman radio guys during the basketball game are saying there probably will be no TV.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hey matfu... chill out bro. We're not that bad.

on a given day anything can happen. if renalydo and felton were healthy...you have to admit we have struggled all season with these injuries etc. i WANT my team to win, and as someone said, FURMAN will show up!

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah but Montana State hasn't been exactly perfect. They lost to a D-II team and to Eastern Washington, who is terrible. Our two I-AA losses are to playoff teams. Felton should be healthier than he was against GSU and we have some other guys too, you know.

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM
the bobcats are not the same team that lost 3 in a row to not so great teams. but it will be a good game none the less. it was stated in the papers that Rolovich said he either bruised his kidney or possibly tore his oblique muscle. but as mentioned earlier carpenter will do decent, he really didnt have a chance against the griz. he got thrown in the 4th quarter against a swarming D. with a week of knowing he will start he will be more prepared.

griz8791
November 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
The Cats who dropped those games don't exist anymore. We figured they were toast, only to see them claw back into it.

Grizlander
November 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Who would not complain about having to travel to the State of Montana in Nov.?

Anyway, Should be a great game. Which QB plays for the Cats will decide the game IMHO.

Go get em Bobcats!

Grizlander

The Cats
November 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I'd like know what is Montana States's bid for a 1st round home game.

The Dude
November 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I never thought we'd be sent to Montana State, but it should be interesting (too bad I can't go).

Give 'em hell, Paladins.

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
lets get some score predictions going.

i myself am not sure but i think the bobcats pull out a close one.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I'm not ready for my full prediction. Maybe midweek. I will say I think the over/under for total points is around 30.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Here's my take. Yes, it's cold in Montana. However, Furman isn't in Miami either. The Paladins routinely practice in the 30s in the Appalachian mountains. Snow and sleet? That would be a different story.

Too much is made of the weather conditions. I think there are three teams that are built to play in any weather, Furman, JMU, and NDSU. They all show up with a tough defense and a big running game.

Mark it now, this game hinges on Jerome Felton's ankle. If he goes full speed, Furman by two scores, if not, MSU close.

I agree with The Dude. Give em hell 'Dins.

App Storm
November 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I never thought we'd be sent to Montana State, but it should be interesting (too bad I can't go).

Give 'em hell, Paladins.
I hope the Paladins represent the Southern Conference but I too have some concerns about the Furman's health and long distance travel plans. A second round rematch with the Mountaineers would almost be anti-climatic this year but fun nonetheless. I think the Championship game will be played in the semifinale between two of three teams: JMU, App, or Youngstown St.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I hope the Paladins represent the Southern Conference but I too have some concerns about the Furman's health and long distance travel plans. A second round rematch with the Mountaineers would almost be anti-climatic this year but fun nonetheless. I think the Championship game will be played in the semifinale between two of three teams: JMU, App, or Youngstown St.
WOW.....absolutely no respect for the #2 seed in the tourney!! U might not want to overlook that Grizzly D

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I think FU has the better football team, the great equalizer is the distance. I don't know how it falls out though. Is a 4 hr plane ride any different or more taxing than a 3 1/2 drive to Chapel Hill?

Possibly the 5th visit to Boone in 5 years. I am begging to loathe that place.

The Dude
November 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
If Gray and Felton heal this week and come out healthy next Saturday, I think we'll win. If not, we could be in some trouble.

AndrewFU21
November 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Honestly, it's hard to be impressed with what MSU has done looking at their schedule. Losses to Chadron State and Eastern Washington, and very close wins over some bad Big Sky teams like NoCo and Weber St. Wins over Colorado and PSU are solid though, as is a pretty good showing at Montana.

If this game was in Greenville, with a healthy Felton and Gray, I'd feel comfortable about an FU victory. But with the game in Bozeman, and our injuries still in question, it should make for a close game.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Honestly, it's hard to be impressed with what MSU has done looking at their schedule. Losses to Chadron State and Eastern Washington, and very close wins over some bad Big Sky teams like NoCo and Weber St. Wins over Colorado and PSU are solid though, as is a pretty good showing at Montana.

If this game was in Greenville, with a healthy Felton and Gray, I'd feel comfortable about an FU victory. But with the game in Bozeman, and our injuries still in question, it should make for a close game.

i am more concerned about renaldo gray's ankle than felton's. both are key though. i think the cold weather and high altitude (roughly 4900 feet vs. 960 feet) will hurt us. in greenville, i would have liked our chances. on the road i favor montana state. the fact that they have good receivers-one 6-2 and strong), are a passing team, and have a very good defense against the run, are not favorable matchups for us. BUT we will show up and see what happens! it will take MORE than we have seen from this team this season to make it to the second round, and your reward is going to boone again. win there and you play another strong team. we got a horrible draw imho, but the lack of a first round home game is the most disappointing.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I think everyone is surprised honestly. But what's done is done. Bring on the Paladins!

chuges1
November 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM
the bobcats are not the same team that lost 3 in a row to not so great teams. but it will be a good game none the less. it was stated in the papers that Rolovich said he either bruised his kidney or possibly tore his oblique muscle. but as mentioned earlier carpenter will do decent, he really didnt have a chance against the griz. he got thrown in the 4th quarter against a swarming D. with a week of knowing he will start he will be more prepared.

Thanks for that....We DEFINATELY are not the same team as those first couple games showed.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Don't fret too much. The field is actually in pretty good shape right now. The grounds crew does a great job with that field (hey Geoff Gamble, how about some artificial turf instead of your stupid skyboxes eh?)

GrizRick
November 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I think the concern over the weather is a bit overemphasized. The winters here have been pretty mild the last several years. As a Republican, the only good I see in the Democrats coming back into power is that now maybe global warming will come to an end, and we can again get some decent winter weather for December playoff games in Montana.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
When I heard the MSU made the playoffs this morning, I about crapped myself. And when I heard we were playing at home, I about keeled over. As it turns out, Santa Claus exists in a big way.

Now as for our much maligned QB situation, Rolovich was an idiot yesterday against UM. He made ALOT of bad passes, and he is always fixated on one reciever, hence that huge hit that he took. Put Carpenter in, and we're good to go.

As for field conditions, they aren't going to be that bad. It will be cold, but it probably won't be all that sloppy, unless it precipitates and gets warm during the week.

And as for Michael Jefferson: SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND CATCH THE BALL!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That is all for now.

GrizFamily
November 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
First of all congrats to the Cats and the Paladin's for making it to the Championship Series. Many good teams did not get invited, let's not lose sight of that. But with that said, I too was surprised the Cats got into the FCS let alone a home game. I think that speaks well of the BSC. Now we just have to show the rest of the football world that respect is warranted. Go Cats.

And as for Michael Jefferson: SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND CATCH THE BALL!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That is all for now.

Something we can agree on!! His smack talk to catch ratio was way to high and I think he hurt the Bob's yesterday. He obviously has the skills, but he got rattled yesterday. I will never forget the hit yesterday that sent his helmet flying 20 ft (no exageration) into the air and was caught by another Bobcat reciever (great catch BTW).

Proud Griz Man
November 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Total BS. Would like to hear the reasoning behind this one! Total slap in the face to Furman and the SoCon. : smh :

The only explanation is that MSU bid higher, right?!?!

I saw Mr. C explain that the committee picks the first four seeds and the remaining 12 and matches them up. The first four seeds are guaranteed home games the first week and then the secret bid envelopes are opened revealing the bids. MSU must have bid higher (my guess is that it was substantially higher $30,000 or more) than did Furman and the committee said 'we aren't going to turn down the extra $$$ to favor an at-large 8-3 team over an at-large 7-4 team.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Interesting to hear everyone say that Furman got the shaft, yet the prediction thread has more people picking Montana State.

Also on a side note, Furman only drew 4125 people to their game last year.

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 05:06 PM
The only explanation is that MSU bid higher, right?!?!

I saw Mr. C explain that the committee picks the first four seeds and the remaining 12 and matches them up. The first four seeds are guaranteed home games the first week and then the secret bid envelopes are opened revealing the bids. MSU must have bid higher (my guess is that it was substantially higher $30,000 or more) than did Furman and the committee said 'we aren't going to turn down the extra $$$ to favor an at-large 8-3 team over an at-large 7-4 team.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

If I am correct, Montana used to bid over 100K back in the early 90's.

Proud Griz Man
November 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
As for field conditions, they aren't going to be that bad. It will be cold, but it probably won't be all that sloppy, unless it precipitates and gets warm during the week.

Aren't going to be that bad ????!!!! What are you smoking 06? :eyebrow:

The funniest thing is Furman's road uniforms are white helmets, white jerseys and white pants, right?

If the weather is the typical late-November in the Gallitan valley, the Bozeman field will be very muddy (temperature > 32) or will be frozen/snowy (temp < 32).

The Dude
November 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Interesting to hear everyone say that Furman got the shaft, yet the prediction thread has more people picking Montana State.

Also on a side note, Furman only drew 4125 people to their game last year.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the attendance number? We averaged 11,000 last year and, while we probably didn't get as many as we usually do for the Nicholls State game because it was Thanksgiving weekend, I didn't think our attendance dropped that much.

Why would you expect people to say Furman would win when they also say that they're getting the shaft? Getting the shaft = harder to win.

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Out of curiosity, where did you get the attendance number? We averaged 11,000 last year and, while we probably didn't get as many as we usually do for the Nicholls State game because it was Thanksgiving weekend, I didn't think our attendance dropped that much.

Why would you expect people to say Furman would win when they also say that they're getting the shaft? Getting the shaft = harder to win.

I got it off of I-AA.org. Here is the link to the history of I-AA playoffs.

http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568

If people are saying Furman got the shaft, I would assume they are supposed to be a better team. I found it odd that people are prediciting MSU if Furman is better.

FUtilitspurple
November 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM
1. Furman fans know their team is beat up.
2. THERE IS NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION FOR MONTANA ST. HOSTING THIS GAME.
3. We'll still show up.
4. I listened to the Montana St. broadcast yesterday. Even they admitted their season was over. I thought they were doing a postgame on a funeral when they went off the air.
5. Our losses were to two playoff teams and a D1 team.
6. Chadron State. Give me a break.

The Dude
November 19th, 2006, 06:09 PM

If people are saying Furman got the shaft, I would assume they are supposed to be a better team. I found it odd that people are prediciting MSU if Furman is better.

Thanks, I was wondering where the attendance information was available. While I'm sure the trip to Montana this year will be fun, I doubt we're gonna be able to get many people to that game either.

I interpreted "Furman got the shaft" in terms of long travel and non-ideal weather and not in terms of how MSU and Furman stack up against each other. I see what you mean now, but I still think the travel/weather works against a potentially better Furman team in favor of MSU and leads to all the predictions in favor of MSU.

SoCon Din
November 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Overall Summary of Previous Threads:

I can't remember anyone who got in the playoffs at 7-4 of late, but it's no slight to MSU - just a weak field this year. Wonder how much Wofford was considered? They were steamrolling people the last month or two.

No offense to MSU, but I thought it was a bit of a slap of disrespect to send a team half a hundred sky miles away after finishing second in the SoCon - but then again, the committee makes about as much sense as the Atlanta Falcons performance.

Besides this one, can't say I see any rationalization in YSU- JSU first round, nor New Hampshire traveling to Hampton. I really would love for Congress to pass a motion to publish the selection committee's notes and conversation.

Don't know much about MSU except they won a big one week one (for all of 1-AA), then lost to Chadron. Anyone in the playoffs gets my respect however.

Hey, things could be worse. There's about 80 other teams sitting at home right now that would give anything for the chance to play. We're in the playoffs, our guys get a chance to visit a beatiful part of the country that they probably won't ever get the chance to visit again- so let's go up there and get the job done. It's a challenge, so have fun with it.

Go Dins

Death Dealer
November 19th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I go to Bozeman twice a year. The Summer to fish and the Winter to ski. It's a great place, but yes th weather is gonna probably play in their favor. So what! We still win, we're the better team. Oh, and beating your chest and proclaiming that your fans are the biggest assholes in the CS doesn't really impress anyone. Heckle us all you want, when we win, we'll politely move on to the next round.

FUtilitspurple
November 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Amen Death Dealer!

GrizDen
November 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM
The fan proclaiming MSU fans are "the biggest a-holes" was actually a Griz fan.

I watched the Brawl of the Wild yesterday on ESPN GamePlan - The Bobcats can flat out play. I was very impressed by their defense - some BIG hits.

Good to see a second Big Sky team get the nod even with a 7-4 record. As most people know on this board, the Big Sky is a very competitive conference.

Best of luck to both teams...as always stay healthy.

windwalker
November 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM

DITTO... guess you have to play more BS games to get ranking...

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
as the committee said someone had to make the trip to montana(both teams) and unfortunately its furman and mcneese. who else would they send? teams that could be sent from the midwest are closer to other teams, it just didnt work out in the paladins favor. but i think they will be pumped up enough to play and keep warm.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I go to Bozeman twice a year. The Summer to fish and the Winter to ski. It's a great place, but yes th weather is gonna probably play in their favor. So what! We still win, we're the better team. Oh, and beating your chest and proclaiming that your fans are the biggest assholes in the CS doesn't really impress anyone. Heckle us all you want, when we win, we'll politely move on to the next round.

haha, don't they know we play in the same conference with Georgia Southern and Appalachian? We've heard it all.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
you could argue weather MSU should be there or not. I think thier VERY hard fought loss to the Griz in a big defencive battle probably helped thier at large status more than people realize. Anyone who underestimates the Bobcats D is in for a big surprise!! They are VERY hard hitting and make some big plays. They took the #2 team in the nation to the very end in a game that was only won by 6 points. Yes you could argue that it was "only one big play" for the touchdown, but hey, it only takes one big play in any game to change the whole course of the game, thats why they call them "playmakers"......

To be arguing who should be hosing the game to me seems pointless though. We all know its comes down to $ for the non seeded teams and evidently MSU's bid was better, plus the fact that they dont have a bad stadium for a school that doesnt dump a ton of money into its football program. Wash/Griz stadium is a thing of its own, nothing like the bobcats have, but MSU's stadium is still a pretty nice facility. Furman fans may feel shafted, but lets not forget that you guys obviously were not viewed as the "top tier" of the teams that were not seeded because you did end up in the #1 bracket. They must have viewed you as a middle of the pack team, which no matter what the record, thier opinion is the one that matters in the end.

As far as MSU goes......they did finish the season very strong, i think a lot of people forget that. Obviously the PSU win and the Northern Colorado 1-A win were the biggest reason for them getting in, but lets take that into account.........

ANY 1-AA team beating any top 50 1-A team is a major feat. A pretty good amount of the 1-AA stars are second string players from a 1-A team that didnt want to warm a bench, so they picked a 1-AA team they felt they had a chance to win with and went there. For basically a bunch of second stringers to beat a 1-A team is huge. While im not 100% sold the Cats should have gotten the at large spot, i cant find a reason they should not have. There MAY have been other teams deserving too, but most of those teams were strong enough to have a chance to host a home game with the right bid too.....

AndrewFU21
November 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
as the committee said someone had to make the trip to montana(both teams) and unfortunately its furman and mcneese.

Okay, but Furman is the furthest team in the entire field(except for CCU, who was already set up to go to Boone) from Bozeman. They need to stop talking about regionalization if they are going to send teams 2,000 miles away from home.

chuges1
November 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Okay, but Furman is the furthest team in the entire field(except for CCU, who was already set up to go to Boone) from Bozeman. They need to stop talking about regionalization if they are going to send teams 2,000 miles away from home.

It probably doesnt make any sence but whats done is done....i mean i know we can argue forever, but its never going to get us anywhere. Lets just wait and watch this great matchup. Good luck to Furman and im sorry you guys have to come all the way to Montana.

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Hell 79, even I got a concussion from that hit he took in the first quarter....his eyes might just be gettin' uncrossed from that one. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I've always liked MSU, truth be told. The travel aspect is unfair to Furman but its better than being Woffed.

When I get a chance I'll look at MSU a little closer to come up with a prediction but its clearly going to be a very physical game. MSU is somewhat small at the OLB positions so I would think the Paladins will try to iso their RBs on those guys. The key for MSU will be if their D-line can disrupt at the line of scrimmage. Furman's defense will have to stop the passing game, mainly by playing good coverage because the Paladins probably won't blitz that much. The Bobcats probably will not have a ton of success on the ground... Furman's run D is solid. The front 7 is physical and FU's safeties come up well on rushing plays.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM

as a furman fan, i think montana state is the better team BUT with the homefield advantage we might have won the game; at montana state i think they are favored. i am the most upset that as a fan i will not be able to be there or watch it on tv. a closer game like coastal or hampton i would have gone to. so, it is not so much that we are on the road, but that it is 2000 miles, not to mention that it is COLD.

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Bozeman is the worst place to play(weather wise) the wind comes howling through and its snowing and its...miserable. But as they say here in montana: If you dont like the weather just wait ten minutes.

The Dude
November 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone think this game will be streamed over the internet via Big Sky TV?

Ronbo
November 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Don't let everyone scare you Furman guys about the weather. In the mid 30's it's quite comfortable with your longies and gloves on. The guys will be fine.

My take on MSU getting in. They have been a very hot team. Till the Griz game they had a 6 game winning streak. They beat PSU, shut them out, and that combined with the win over a Big 12 school got them in over PSU. Oh, and they played us real tough. All adds up to getting respect from the committee.

GOKATS
November 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
First of all congrats to the Cats and the Paladin's for making it to the Championship Series. Many good teams did not get invited, let's not lose sight of that. But with that said, I too was surprised the Cats got into the FCS let alone a home game. I think that speaks well of the BSC. Now we just have to show the rest of the football world that respect is warranted. Go Cats.

Something we can agree on!! His smack talk to catch ratio was way to high and I think he hurt the Bob's yesterday. He obviously has the skills, but he got rattled yesterday. I will never forget the hit yesterday that sent his helmet flying 20 ft (no exageration) into the air and was caught by another Bobcat reciever (great catch BTW).

Actually the helmet was caught by a RB.

FUtilitspurple
November 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
as a furman fan, i think montana state is the better team
Why? I question you're loyalty (and sanity for that matter) if you're willing to simply dismiss Furman as an inferior team to Montana State (who I wonder if you've ever even seen play). It's not like Montana State has any really impressive wins (no Colorado is not a really impressive win), and they lost to Chadron State for God's sake. And I know everybody says 'well they're a different team now' and this and that, but the fact remains that this same exact team did lose to Chadron, and UC Davis by 45, and a terrible Eastern Washington team. Look at those three losses (and add another loss), and tell me, first of all, how they are in the playoffs, and second how they are better than Furman, who has only three losses (to two playoff teams and North Carolina)?

BelgradeBobcat
November 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
It's a long trip to Bozeman, but it's not like Furman has to walk the whole way. We have an airport and everything! What's the dif if you have to travel by air 2000 miles or 800 miles or whatever.

30 degrees in Montana is a lot more pleasant than 30 degrees in the Carolinas due to our lack of humidity. If the sun comes out it will be balmy. The wind is always a factor however.

It's been pretty dry here and I think it will stay pretty dry this week. Our field has problems when it has snow on it early in the week and then it warms up and melts before the game. Then it turns to oatmeal. A really warm day might brings some frost out of the ground, but I don't think it will be too bad on Saturday.

Our loss to Chadron was devastating and embarrassing and I can't really defend it. I'll just note that Chadron is currently 11-0 and had first round bye in the D-2 playoffs. They have a little running back that's breaking every rushing record that can be broken. I don't think our coaches took them seriously and didn't prepare for them-no doubt planning all spring and fall for the Colorado game the week before.

Don't discount the Colorado win too much. When I saw our 1-AA players warming up opposite their 1-A players before the game I was sure we'd get beat by 50. I still can't believe we beat them. Colorado has only won 2 games (Texas Tech and Iowa State) but they went down to Athens and lost to the Georgia Bulldogs (you know about Georgia down there don't you?) very narrowly and they've had several close losses.

Hope many of you Furman fans can make up to Bozeman. It's going to be a great game!

Appdad
November 19th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I think the concern over the weather is a bit overemphasized. The winters here have been pretty mild the last several years. As a Republican, the only good I see in the Democrats coming back into power is that now maybe global warming will come to an end, and we can again get some decent winter weather for December playoff games in Montana.

Yes, it's the fault of the Bush Administration.

Of course Montana is home of closet democrats being outed from the Republican party... :)

nick9c
November 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Montana State may be good, but it's not like they're some offensive juggernaut. With our offensive mix, I really like Furman's chances in this game. If Gray and Felton are healthy, I think we potentially win this one by double digits. I wouldn't worry about the cold. Yes, 33 is cold, but when you have playoff adrenaline on the field, it's not going to matter. I'd be more concerned with the elevation and potential dehydration problems.

AndrewFU21
November 19th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Why? I question you're loyalty (and sanity for that matter) if you're willing to simply dismiss Furman as an inferior team to Montana State (who I wonder if you've ever even seen play). It's not like Montana State has any really impressive wins (no Colorado is not a really impressive win), and they lost to Chadron State for God's sake. And I know everybody says 'well they're a different team now' and this and that, but the fact remains that this same exact team did lose to Chadron, and UC Davis by 45, and a terrible Eastern Washington team. Look at those three losses (and add another loss), and tell me, first of all, how they are in the playoffs, and second how they are better than Furman, who has only three losses (to two playoff teams and North Carolina)?

Yeah, there's no question that Furman is the favored team in this one. I mean, this is the MSU team that nobody thought had a chance at even making the field this morning. I think matfu is selling his team way short. If you look at when this team was last healthy(the UNC-WCU-Wofford stretch), they were playing as well as anybody and ranked in the top 5. The injuries to Gray and Felton really hurt this team, but supposedly they will be back to almost 100% after the two week layoff. If they are ready to go(which is still up in the air), then I'll feel pretty good about beating a four loss Big Sky team.

Proud Griz Man
November 19th, 2006, 10:19 PM
1. Furman fans know their team is beat up.
3. We'll still show up.
4. I listened to the Montana St. broadcast yesterday. Even they admitted their season was over. I thought they were doing a postgame on a funeral when they went off the air.
5. Our losses were to two playoff teams and a D1 team.
6. Chadron State. Give me a break.

Blame your athletic department for bidding lower than MSU. :nono:

As much as I can interpret, MSU must have bid substantially more than FU and the committee said "we can't turn down ~ $30,000 additional to favor an at-large 8-3 team versus an at-large 7-4 team".

Proud Griz Man
November 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
30 degrees in Montana is a lot more pleasant than 30 degrees in the Carolinas due to our lack of humidity. If the sun comes out it will be balmy. The wind is always a factor however.

It's been pretty dry here and I think it will stay pretty dry this week. Our field has problems when it has snow on it early in the week and then it warms up and melts before the game. Then it turns to oatmeal. A really warm day might brings some frost out of the ground, but I don't think it will be too bad on Saturday.

I am still laughing about Furman with their road white jerseys, white pants, white sox and white helmets playing in the Bozeman mud. xlolx

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I find it really hard to believe that MSU bid more than Furman. But I have no other explanation so I can't say it's not true, and I guess it's the most likely explanation. Just strikes me as odd.

Appdad
November 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Bozeman is the worst place to play(weather wise) the wind comes howling through and its snowing and its...miserable. But as they say here in montana: If you dont like the weather just wait ten minutes.

Weather will be a factor for the fans, not the players. Being from Wisconsin, a home of great lake effect weather take my word the Furman boys will be plenty warm. It's amazing how much sweat is produced even when working in -10 degree weather. By the way the team goes inside for halftime. Anyway, that Furman half billion dollar foundation will probably buy those radiator armour suits from VT.

Of course Felton and Gray did not benefit from the bye week. And, of course since Felton, listed at 250 but looks larger to me, with his low center of gravity and huge thighs and big feet relies on his scatback miss direction cuts to convert those short yardage situations a wet field really hurts him.

Appdad
November 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Felton had a hard time on that muddy field last year in Greenville vs ASU after 8" of rain 24 hours earlier. :)

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Wow - Furman fans crying a river because they have to board a plane to get to a game :rolleyes:

Many times the #2 Big Sky team gets sent packing all the way across country, so no big deal - just play the damn game.

thirdgendin
November 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
For what it's worth, Furman is 3-2 all-time versus Big Sky teams with all five games coming in the playoffs.

We are 2-0 at home, 1-1 on the road, and 0-1 at neutral sites.

Nevada 12 at Furman 35 - semifinals

Idaho (ranked #1 with John Friesz) 7 at Furman 38 - semifinals

Furman 35 at Nevada 42 3 OT - quarterfinals

Furman 42 at Northern Arizona 31 - first round

Furman 6 vs. Montana 13 - championship in Chattanooga

FUPaladin63
November 19th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Although I am a big Furman fan, my blood doth bleedeth purple, I think that Wofford might be the best team in the Southern Conference right now. They lost to ASU in Boone by only one TD, (14-7) and last Saturday beat UTC 55-0; the team that took Furman to overime the week before, before the Mocs lost 27-21. Wofford would have been a better choice than Mt. State which was ranked #15 BEFORE their fourth loss yesterday.
That being said, I think the regionalization concept would have been better served if Montana and Mt. State had a rematch and Furman could have hosted or gone to McNeese State. I've read a lot about McNeese State's great fans and hospitality from GSU fans who have been there.
There is something terribly rotten with the whole playoff system when a good GSU team ranked #8 last year had to go to Texas and the year before, their #5 team had to travel. Now a #8 (or #7 today after yesterday's games) has to travel to a questionably weak Mt. State team ranked lower. I say there is a mixture of money and bad politics in the system.
Whatever, the Paladins will prevail next Saturday and be ready for round two.

FUPaladin63
November 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Re: my statement about a rematch of Mr. State and Mt. -- to me, not out of the realm of possibility, but the most practical solution although the rule of not matching conference teams would have been broken. The committee should think about what is best for all involved. During the OSU-Michigan game yesterday, two of the ABC announcers opined that these are really the two best teams in the nation and they should be in a rematch for the NC. Brent Musenburger disagreed. Hey, I think it's a wonderful idea!

Grizlander
November 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Blame your athletic department for bidding lower than MSU. :nono:

As much as I can interpret, MSU must have bid substantially more than FU and the committee said "we can't turn down ~ $30,000 additional to favor an at-large 8-3 team versus an at-large 7-4 team".

I talked with a Montana State Alum. he is a retired CEO of a big company. He said no doubt in his mind, MSU out bid FU by a LOT of $$$$$$. He said he personally put in a check with some others to cover what MSU did not want to.They wanted to make sure the bid would be WAY up if and when they put a bid in. ( He said this was done some time back) I would guess over $100,000.00 the way he sounded. I have no idea how the bid works, or if this is all B.S. he is telling me. I kind of think it to be true, given who he is. Also given this has been the case in the past with Griz supporters. I believe Gordy of the Press Box, has done this in the past for the Griz. $$$$$$$$$ talk with the NCAA this is a business it take $$ to make it all happen.

FU fans should be upset with FU not bidding high enough, they know how the bid works. From what I understand, that bid is what decided where the game was to be played.

Grizlander

nick9c
November 19th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Re: my statement about a rematch of Mr. State and Mt. -- to me, not out of the realm of possibility, but the most practical solution although the rule of not matching conference teams would have been broken. The committee should think about what is best for all involved. During the OSU-Michigan game yesterday, two of the ABC announcers opined that these are really the two best teams in the nation and they should be in a rematch for the NC. Brent Musenburger disagreed. Hey, I think it's a wonderful idea!

I understand your point, but I think this came down to who makes the NCAA more money. Montana St. draws more fans and revenue than Furman on a T-giving weekend. Last year, I think Furman drew only about 5,000 fans...you give the home game to a team that will probably draw 15,000. Also, if the game were held at Furman, and Montana State won, they'd have to fly back to the East Coast again vs App State or CCU. If Furman prevails, it's only a short bus ride to ASU or CCU. Yeah, we got shafted a bit, but it's no big deal because we'll take care of business.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Although I am a big Furman fan, my blood doth bleedeth purple, I think that Wofford might be the best team in the Southern Conference right now. They lost to ASU in Boone by only one TD, (14-7) and last Saturday beat UTC 55-0; the team that took Furman to overime the week before, before the Mocs lost 27-21. Wofford would have been a better choice than Mt. State which was ranked #15 BEFORE their fourth loss yesterday.
That being said, I think the regionalization concept would have been better served if Montana and Mt. State had a rematch and Furman could have hosted or gone to McNeese State. I've read a lot about McNeese State's great fans and hospitality from GSU fans who have been there.
There is something terribly rotten with the whole playoff system when a good GSU team ranked #8 last year had to go to Texas and the year before, their #5 team had to travel. Now a #8 (or #7 today after yesterday's games) has to travel to a questionably weak Mt. State team ranked lower. I say there is a mixture of money and bad politics in the system.
Whatever, the Paladins will prevail next Saturday and be ready for round two.

-with only seeding four teams after 9/11 this is the way it works. some get screwed.

-yes wofford came on strong BUT i don't think a 3rd southern conference team should have gotten in over say a montana state, portland state or even northern iowa. i think all three would probaly beat wofford. just one furman fan's opinion. i am not convinced that the southern conf. wasn't a little down this year.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM

a healthy furman team ie. the offense we had against unc could beat anybody. that is not the same offense we have seen since wofford. i do not buy that felton and gray will be 100 % healthy and we have been very average for the last five games. my goodness, we have not scored a second half regulation TD in FIVE games. this is a forum where opinions are expressed freely. without us knowing each other, i would bet i am a bigger furman fan than you are and more sane! of course this is all in fun. GO PALADINS!

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
a healthy furman team ie. the offense we had against unc could beat anybody. that is not the same offense we have seen since wofford. i do not buy that felton and gray will be 100 % healthy and we have been very average for the last five games. my goodness, we have not scored a second half regulation TD in FIVE games. this is a forum where opinions are expressed freely. without us knowing each other, i would bet i am a bigger furman fan than you are and more sane! of course this is all in fun. GO PALADINS!
Good teams that are well coached seem to find a way to win. MSU prepares well for big games....it sounds to me like furman is like the Grizzlies....they just find some way to overcome the stuff that should put them down and out...they just win games. I think this is gonna be a good matchup, proving the selection of the two right!!

FUwolfpacker
November 19th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Good teams that are well coached seem to find a way to win. MSU prepares well for big games....it sounds to me like furman is like the Grizzlies....they just find some way to overcome the stuff that should put them down and out...they just win games. I think this is gonna be a good matchup, proving the selection of the two right!!

Amen mschn99. Our teams do seem to be similar.

I'm so tired of all this arguing already. Geez people. What's done is done. We've argued the same points over and over and over again. Give it a rest. The game is going to be played in Bozeman, period. It's going to be a great game.

Now....let's just talk about the football game. The arguments about who plays where have been said multiple times. Time for everyone to move on.

CatFan22
November 20th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Amen mschn99. Our teams do seem to be similar.

I'm so tired of all this arguing already. Geez people. What's done is done. We've argued the same points over and over and over again. Give it a rest. The game is going to be played in Bozeman, period. It's going to be a great game.

Now....let's just talk about the football game. The arguments about who plays where have been said multiple times. Time for everyone to move on.

Thank you for that post. This is getting about as tiring as hearing why the griz should move up a level in Div. I. Sorry, I had to. :) ;)
Anwyay, good luck Paladins and hope all of you who make it up here have a great time!

FUwolfpacker
November 20th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I do what I can CatFan:). BTW, jabs at rival teams are always appropriate, so no reason to apologize;).

Good luck to you guys too. I look forward to some good discussion about the actual game over the next week.

thirdgendin
November 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Thank you for that post. This is getting about as tiring as hearing why the griz should move up a level in Div. I. Sorry, I had to. :) ;)
Anwyay, good luck Paladins and hope all of you who make it up here have a great time!

I agree, well said.

I doubt you'll see hardly any Paladin fans at the game, unfortunately. At least when we played Wyoming a few years back, it was on Labor Day weekend and we had a few months' notice!

FU97
November 20th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Wow - Furman fans crying a river because they have to board a plane to get to a game :rolleyes:

Many times the #2 Big Sky team gets sent packing all the way across country, so no big deal - just play the damn game.

Yeah its not like we don't have experience going to a Big Sky team in the first round and winning. Most of our coaching staff was there when we did it in 1996 (or 1997) when we went to NAU and won.

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
If we are healthy we will beat hard to beat.
If Felton and Gray are still limping around, it could be a long day.

What percentage of MSU offensive plays are passing? We tend to give up a lot of yardage through the air, but I also noticed MSU throws a few interceptions.

Glad we are playing a team we have not faced. Wish I could be there.

Go Bison
November 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I really believe that this "bidding" talk is over-done. Most teams bid the minimum amount as a guarantee and then project what attendance they expect to share with the NCAA at a 75% clip. The Committee also strongly considers which schools are more able to host.

I also don't think it is a coincidence that there are 3 potential conference rematches in the 2nd round but in none of these sub-brackets are both conference teams at home. ASU-Furman, YSU-ISU, and UMass-UNH are potential second round matchups but in all cases, the 2nd unseeded conference team is forced to play on the road. Again, I don't think it's a coincidence that Furman, ISU, and UNH are on the road.

Just curious for future reference what does "which schools are more able to host" mean?

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Just curious for future reference what does "which schools are more able to host" mean?
A schools stadium facilities.

If I remember correctly, didn't New Hampshire do some upgrades to their facilities so they could host? Anyone...

AndrewFU21
November 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I think most Furman fans are complaining about being sent to Bozeman mainly because that prevents us from being able to attend the game. If MSU bid a lot more than FU, then thats fine; being such a small school we will probably get outbid by almost everybody. I'm not all that worried about the team going out there and playing well, given all the playoff experience this team has. Besides, MSU has already lost three home games this year alone, so its not like they are unbeatable there.

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
My guess is that we did not bid much, I don't think we have drawn that well on the thanksgiving weekend first round.

But I do wish that I could get out there. Bozeman and surrounding area looks great. How far is Bozeman from Yellowstone?

profisme
November 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Bozeman is 93 miles from West Yellowstone and it is 65 or so miles from Gardiner which is at the North entrance to Yellowstone. Also close by there is Chico Hot Springs, Mammoth Hot Springs, and the headquarters and ranch of Church Universal and Triumphant (C.U.T.). You may have heard about them at some point in the news.

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Bozeman is 93 miles from West Yellowstone and it is 65 or so miles from Gardiner which is at the North entrance to Yellowstone. Also close by there is Chico Hot Springs, Mammoth Hot Springs, and the headquarters and ranch of Church Universal and Triumphant (C.U.T.). You may have heard about them at some point in the news.

I've heard of Yellowstone. :)

Been to Yellowstone. I was 13. I did see some large hot springs somewhere on the way to Lewiston Idaho not far from Yellowstone. Large mineral deposits. Look like rock was melting over a water fall. Very cool

GreenDay17
November 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
If we are healthy we will beat hard to beat.
If Felton and Gray are still limping around, it could be a long day.

What percentage of MSU offensive plays are passing? We tend to give up a lot of yardage through the air, but I also noticed MSU throws a few interceptions.

Glad we are playing a team we have not faced. Wish I could be there.

You can go here to watch this past weekend's UM/MSU game.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=84454&nav=menu227_10_17_1

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
You can go here to watch this past weekend's UM/MSU game.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=84454&nav=menu227_10_17_1

Great Thanks

Death Dealer
November 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM
My guess is that we did not bid much, I don't think we have drawn that well on the thanksgiving weekend first round.

But I do wish that I could get out there. Bozeman and surrounding area looks great. How far is Bozeman from Yellowstone?

Bozeman is a great town. Not real big, but very cool. Surrounded by an outdoorsmans paradise...great fishing, hunting, and skiing. Big Sky is my second favorite place to ski right behind Alta (only because of overall snowfall amounts). And Montanans are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It's on my top five list of places I want to retire. If I didn't have a four week old at home, I would be there this weekend! It's called bad planning!:bang:

Chi-towngrizzly
November 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Bozeman is a great town. Not real big, but very cool. Surrounded by an outdoorsmans paradise...great fishing, hunting, and skiing. Big Sky is my second favorite place to ski right behind Alta (only because of overall snowfall amounts). And Montanans are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It's on my top five list of places I want to retire. If I didn't have a four week old at home, I would be there this weekend! It's called bad planning!:bang:

I really like Furman, it's a great school and awesome football program. That 's why I feel so bad that you have to travel to Bozeman. It's a cute town, sure, but please do not think that the people that you meet in Bozeman are representative of Montanans as a whole.

Their fans, students, players, and townspeople are going to subject you to some ridiculous antics. Expect at least a bad as what you have seen from GSU and ASU.

As a native Montanan, it's embarrassing, sorry.

kmax
November 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I really like Furman, it's a great school and awesome football program. That 's why I feel so bad that you have to travel to Bozeman. It's a cute town, sure, but please do not think that the people that you meet in Bozeman are representative of Montanans as a whole.

Their fans, students, players, and townspeople are going to subject you to some ridiculous antics. Expect at least a bad as what you have seen from GSU and ASU.

As a native Montanan, it's embarrassing, sorry.
Ugh. Is there any chance you people will get over this and quit this b!tching anytime soon? Face it, every school as a small subset of idiots that when given a chance will do something stupid that looks bad. If you deny this you have your head stuck in the sand.

I personally talked with the NDSU fans that had trouble last year and they even understood this and said that other than that they had a great time and enjoyed the rest of the fans and their time in Bozeman.

Any furman fans that actually make the long trek to Bozeman will be treated well and are more than welcome at any of the tailgates.

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hell 79, even I got a concussion from that hit he took in the first quarter....his eyes might just be gettin' uncrossed from that one. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Similar to the hit Leblanc laid on Chambers, when he jarred loose a sure 40 yeard catch. Like I said in another thread on BobcatNation, I can't remember a harder hitting game in the 35 years I've been watching football.

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM

That's why they play the game, boys. We'll all find out who the better team is, soon enough. About 5 days and 21 hours from now. And don't give me that crap about field conditions and weather. It's FOOTBALL, which is meant to be played outdoors and on GRASS / MUD.

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Yes, it's the fault of the Bush Administration.

Of course Montana is home of closet democrats being outed from the Republican party... :)

Yeah, thats the State senator form my home town!! He always been a little left anyway.

Death Dealer
November 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I'd be very suprised if that were the case....I've never had any trouble in Bozeman. The only reason I am pissed that they sent us there this year is that I can't go because of the baby....I have a very cool wife, who loves I-AA football as much as any of you, but she ain't that understanding! She might go and leave me home with the baby!(Bozeman is her favorite town in the West...she's a small town girl)xlolx xlolx

catbob
November 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Great, Chi-town somehow stumbled his way over here. Get ready for the biggest whine-fest about MSU/Bozeman/anything related to either that you'd ever want to hear. I hope you fans have a fresh supply of chese for him. ;)

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'd be very suprised if that were the case....I've never had any trouble in Bozeman. The only reason I am pissed that they sent us there this year is that I can't go because of the baby....I have a very cool wife, who loves I-AA football as much as any of you, but she ain't that understanding! She might go and leave me home with the baby!(Bozeman is her favorite town in the West...she's a small town girl)xlolx xlolx

Don't take any stock in a Griz fan's rants about Bozeman hospitality. This is a playoff game, the first at home in 22 years. My bet is you see nothing but friendly faces around town and at Bobcat Stadium on Saturday. It would take more than getting beat to wipe the smile off my face.

Cat are Back!!

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Don't take any stock in a Griz fan's rants about Bozeman hospitality. This is a playoff game, the first at home in 22 years. My bet is you see nothing but friendly faces around town and at Bobcat Stadium on Saturday. It would take more than getting beat to wipe the smile off my face.

Cat are Back!!

Unfortunately, my guess is there won't be many of us.

A long way to travel on a weekend that is slammed full of busy-ness already. Dem's da breaks.

Will be curious to know how many purps show up.

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Great matchup!!

Just because you lived in the land of Vanderbuilt the last few years...:rolleyes: :smiley_wi

FU97
November 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Great matchup!!

Last time we went to Big Sky country we came back happy.

Bobcat in NC
November 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM
FU fans, I have 2 non-smack questions for you: First, have you heard anything about TV coverage for the game in Greenville? Second, what radio station covers the Paladins? I'll be on my way back from Savannah on Saturday and may not make it back to Charlotte and my trusty computer in time for kickoff. I'd love to go out of my way a bit to be able to catch the game on TV.

Thanks in advance. (And, for what it's worth, Chi-towngrizzly is an idiot. Any of you lucky enough to see the game in person should expect nothing but the best hospitality. The plane rides will suck, but that will be the worst part of the trip for you - other than having to witness a Bobcat win)

Grizo406
November 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM

This Griz fan agrees completely, DD.

Furman fans making the trip would be well served ignoring anyone claiming to be an agenda laden Griz "fan". Bozeman, and the Gallatin Valley are two of the prettiest places on our planet filled with some very nice people.

SoCon Din
November 20th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Radio station switched this year again I believe- as some closer fans in Greenville might be able to help out with that.

MSU fans - please post any pictures of the stadium, campus, town. Would love to see where our boys are going! Any are much appreciated.

The Dude
November 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
FU fans, I have 2 non-smack questions for you: First, have you heard anything about TV coverage for the game in Greenville? Second, what radio station covers the Paladins? I'll be on my way back from Savannah on Saturday and may not make it back to Charlotte and my trusty computer in time for kickoff. I'd love to go out of my way a bit to be able to catch the game on TV.

Thanks in advance. (And, for what it's worth, Chi-towngrizzly is an idiot. Any of you lucky enough to see the game in person should expect nothing but the best hospitality. The plane rides will suck, but that will be the worst part of the trip for you - other than having to witness a Bobcat win)

No word yet on TV coverage.

According to the press release, radio coverage will be available on WGOG-FM 96.3, WOLT-FM 103.3, WPJM-AM 800, and WFIS-AM 1600.

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I cant get the picture to work but here is a link of it posted by Longhorn 22 http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard/viewtopic.php?t=3528&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

TulsaBobcat
November 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l1.jpg

City of Bozeman

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l3.jpg
Bobcat Stadium

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l2.jpg

Some Campus buildings with a backdrop of the Madison Mountains

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/gallery/051202/mediafiles/l4.jpg

Campus with Bridger Mountains in background

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Tulsa...thanks for posting the pics...damn I wish I could be there Saturday. Spent a week in the Tetons and Yellowstone last year and I'd love to be in Montana this weekend. Too bad its a $800 ticket.

CatFan22
November 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Here's the overhead pic of the stadium:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/longhorn_22/FAC-stadium_left.jpg

Bobcat in NC
November 21st, 2006, 08:38 AM
No word yet on TV coverage.

According to the press release, radio coverage will be available on WGOG-FM 96.3, WOLT-FM 103.3, WPJM-AM 800, and WFIS-AM 1600.

Excellent, thanks much. I'd appreciate any info that y'all get later in the week regarding TV coverage.

OL FU
November 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Here's the overhead pic of the stadium:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/longhorn_22/FAC-stadium_left.jpg

Where's the mud:smiley_wi

Bobcat in NC
November 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Tulsa...thanks for posting the pics...damn I wish I could be there Saturday. Spent a week in the Tetons and Yellowstone last year and I'd love to be in Montana this weekend. Too bad its a $800 ticket.

For what it's worth to any FU fans, you may want to consider doing a little driving and save yourselves a ton of cash on flights. While flying into Bozeman is really expensive, flying into Billings isn't too bad at all right now (still pricey, but much more reasonable). A one-stop flight from Charlotte to Billings (a 2-hour drive from Bozeman) on United, leaving on Friday and returning on Monday, is currently going for $447 on Orbitz. The same flight (on Northwest) from Charlotte to Bozeman is going for $743.

GtFllsGriz
November 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
Bozeman is a great city to visit. I think the Furman fans that can make the trip will really enjoy it. The "normal" fans are great and I think that you will find that most folks from the State of Montana are very friendly and hospitable.

Good luck to the Cats and I wish you all a great time and a great game.

The Dude
November 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
Looks like the game will be streamed over the internet via Big Sky TV (for free too!) along with the Montana/McNeese State game.

http://www.bigskytv.org/

CopperCat
November 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Score predictions anybody? Its hard to say what is going to happen, since I know next to nothing about FU, but here goes nothing.

Going with the picks of sports columnists:

Cats 24
FU 20

I dunno, take no offense by my ignorance! Any FU fan is certainly welcome at my tailgate on gameday!!!!:thumbsup:

griz8791
November 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
I've never been into predicting scores, so let me just skip that and predict generally that the Cats play like their hair is on fire. I think the coaches and players fully understand what a huge opportunity this home game is. Everybody knows how tough it is to win on the road in the playoffs and the Cats saw that firsthand in 2002 and 2003. They intend to be a regular playoff participant and they know that begins with justifying this home game. This isn't a knock on Furman at all, just a warning that the Cats have been waiting a long time for this chance. They're going to make the most of the opportunity.

youwouldno
November 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM
I think both teams want to win pretty badly. You would hope so in a playoff game. I do agree that Montana State has some advantages... a home game, momentum despite their loss to Montana, and perhaps a Furman team feeling the long shadow of Boone. But on the other hand, this might be a Furman team playing with less self-imposed pressure... unlike in 2004, we are not favorites and are not given much of a shot-- and reasonably so.

I tend to think that, in a big game, those kinds of things generally wash out-- though it might be harder for Furman to stage a comeback than for MSU (apart from the fact Furman doesn't score in the 2nd half). How the teams prepare and then execute will determine who advances.

I'm not ready for a prediction, but I have looked at Montana St and I'm a pretty well informed Furman fan. Furman will be the best rushing team Montana St has faced this season, with all due respect to Chadron St. Of course, the Bobcats won't be caught off-guard by the Paladins. Both teams have health issues and we really won't know how those play out until the game is underway.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Very reasonable assessment. I predict a low scoring game, possibly turning on a defensive score.

Cats by 6

Grizo406
November 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Some "ifs" here...

If Jefferson concentrates on what's important, I think he'll torch the Furman defenders.

If the Bobcat's defense plays like it has lately, the Paladins will be lucky to see 3 points.

MSU has waited a VERY LONG TIME for this one. They'll be more than ready, so I'm picking the Cats by at least 14.

matfu
November 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
i hope for furman (my team)that our best football is yet to come. the last 5 weeks we have done well enough to win some games but have not played anywhere close to our potential imho, largely due to injuries. i HOPE gray will be anywhere close to normal and felton will be his old self. gray has looked very slow since his ankle injury against coastal. i have nothing but respect for the big sky and montana state. i think it will be a low scoring game for sure. i say the team with the least turnovers will win.

fuEMO
November 21st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Some "ifs" here...

If Jefferson concentrates on what's important, I think he'll torch the Furman defenders.

If the Bobcat's defense plays like it has lately, the Paladins will be lucky to see 3 points.

MSU has waited a VERY LONG TIME for this one. They'll be more than ready, so I'm picking the Cats by at least 14.

Grizo… your ifs make MSU sound like the team to beat in the playoffs. Furman is no slouch on offense or defense. Same goes for MSU. Furman has won close games this season battling nagging injuries that have disrupted practices and team chemistry. Furman has the potenial to get on a role and make alot of noise. As a fan that has seen ever game for the past 3 years I have no idea what we will see from the Dins. But I do know one thing. We wil bring a playoff experienced coaching staff that will be prepared. Because of that I'll give the advantage to Furman.

GOKATS
November 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
Some "ifs" here...

Another "if"...

Who will start at QB? Carpenter was #1 until a high ankle sprain early seaon(ok, but nothing spectacular after three years in the wings with Lulay). Rolovich came in and has run the 'O' until late in the 4th against the griz with a helluva hit in the lower back (started strong early, but has sputtered the last few weeks). 'Cats have probably the strongest receiver corps in the Big Sky, but have yet to fully exploit the advantage.

Regardless of who the 'Cats QB is, if they're on the 'Cats 'O' can flat out blow the game away. Hasn't happened yet this year, but they're overdue.

One way or the other, 'Cats 'D' will make it a game.

Go 'Cats!!

Go Paladins!

Looking forward to a great game.

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Grizo… your ifs make MSU sound like the team to beat in the playoffs. Furman is no slouch on offense or defense. Same goes for MSU. Furman has won close games this season battling nagging injuries that have disrupted practices and team chemistry. Furman has the potenial to get on a role and make alot of noise. As a fan that has seen ever game for the past 3 years I have no idea what we will see from the Dins. But I do know one thing. We wil bring a playoff experienced coaching staff that will be prepared. Because of that I'll give the advantage to Furman.

I don't think anyone believes Furman is a slouch team, but what I do believe is this quote taken from a Furman fan on www.bobcatnation.com

"We are a relatively small fish in a big pond. As opposed to MSU...you're one of the only shows in town. I'll bet Bozeman is going nuts...I'll bet 80% of Greenville doesn't even know we're in the playoffs.....again (7 of 8 years)."

This same thought can be applied to the fact that Montana State is JACKED to be in the playoffs and at home, whereas this is pretty much status quo for Furman - meh, been to the playoffs before.

Maybe all this enthusiasm will hurt the Cats, but it most certainly won't hurt their intensity. Not saying Furman won't be excited, just believe MSU will be more excited.

youwouldno
November 21st, 2006, 10:18 PM
Some "ifs" here...

Now that's a bad prediction. "Be lucky to score 3 pts," I mean c'mon. Although it is kind of touching to see Griz fans doing something other than putting down Montana St.

thirdgendin
November 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
I don't think anyone believes Furman is a slouch team, but what I do believe is this quote taken from a Furman fan on www.bobcatnation.com

"We are a relatively small fish in a big pond. As opposed to MSU...you're one of the only shows in town. I'll bet Bozeman is going nuts...I'll bet 80% of Greenville doesn't even know we're in the playoffs.....again (7 of 8 years)."

This same thought can be applied to the fact that Montana State is JACKED to be in the playoffs and at home, whereas this is pretty much status quo for Furman - meh, been to the playoffs before.

Maybe all this enthusiasm will hurt the Cats, but it most certainly won't hurt their intensity. Not saying Furman won't be excited, just believe MSU will be more excited.

I'm sure the Cats and their fans are excited, but the fact that most people in our area are jacked about the Clemson-South Carolina game on Saturday doesn't mean our players aren't excited!

windwalker
November 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
I talked with a Montana State Alum. he is a retired CEO of a big company. He said no doubt in his mind, MSU out bid FU by a LOT of $$$$$$. He said he personally put in a check with some others to cover what MSU did not want to.They wanted to make sure the bid would be WAY up if and when they put a bid in. ( He said this was done some time back) I would guess over $100,000.00 the way he sounded. I have no idea how the bid works, or if this is all B.S. he is telling me. I kind of think it to be true, given who he is. Also given this has been the case in the past with Griz supporters. I believe Gordy of the Press Box, has done this in the past for the Griz. $$$$$$$$$ talk with the NCAA this is a business it take $$ to make it all happen.

Grizlander

OMG... are you saying that maybe the committee peeked at the bids before setting the brackets, and MSU 'bought' their way into the playoffs?????

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
I'm sure the Cats and their fans are excited, but the fact that most people in our area are jacked about the Clemson-South Carolina game on Saturday doesn't mean our players aren't excited!

I'm not doubting that, but when the whole town is slapping players on the back everywhere they go cheering them on, it adds to the atmosphere.

Couple that with the first home game in 22 years, and I think Bozeman must be electric this week.

FUtilitspurple
November 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
You act like Furman was the team who was lucky to get into the playoffs.

DaGriz
November 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM
Furman has won close games this season battling nagging injuries that have disrupted practices and team chemistry. Furman has the potenial to get on a role and make alot of noise.

You could insert any team in the playoff bracket into those two sentences.

youwouldno
November 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'm sure MSU was pretty pumped for their game against the Griz, since it's their main rivalry and a big deal in the state, plus they thought they needed to win to make the playoffs. They still lost. I'm just saying it takes more than being pumped up to win a football game. It's going to take four quarters of play.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Another "if"...

Who will start at QB? Carpenter was #1 until a high ankle sprain early seaon(ok, but nothing spectacular after three years in the wings with Lulay). Rolovich came in and has run the 'O' until late in the 4th against the griz with a helluva hit in the lower back (started strong early, but has sputtered the last few weeks). 'Cats have probably the strongest receiver corps in the Big Sky, but have yet to fully exploit the advantage.

Regardless of who the 'Cats QB is, if they're on the 'Cats 'O' can flat out blow the game away. Hasn't happened yet this year, but they're overdue.

One way or the other, 'Cats 'D' will make it a game.

Go 'Cats!!

Go Paladins!

Looking forward to a great game.

So wait. It's the 12th game of the season, you're offense hasn't played well, yet they will blow the game because they are overdue? Huh?

Everytime I hear MSU's head coach in an interview all he talks about is how much of a homefield advantage there will be, how cold, yadda yadda. Like somehow the town of Bozeman is going to win the football game. I am getting the impression that he probably doesn't even know they are playing Furman.

BTW, this week it's been colder in Greenville than in Montana. Even snowed in Charleston yesterday. Weather won't be a factor. :thumbsup:

OL FU
November 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Furman has played three games healthy this year. In those three games (WCU, UNC and Wofford) we really looked good ( ok special teams did not look so good in Spartanburg.) The other 8 games we were not healthy and looked average to bad (for a Furman team).

If Gray and Felton and our offensive line are close to 100% this should be a heck of a game. I would give the advantage to Furman without a second thought except that a good passing team always scares me.

If Gray and or Felton are not healthy , take cover.

Bobcat in NC
November 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
So wait. It's the 12th game of the season, you're offense hasn't played well, yet they will blow the game because they are overdue? Huh?

Everytime I hear MSU's head coach in an interview all he talks about is how much of a homefield advantage there will be, how cold, yadda yadda. Like somehow the town of Bozeman is going to win the football game. I am getting the impression that he probably doesn't even know they are playing Furman.

BTW, this week it's been colder in Greenville than in Montana. Even snowed in Charleston yesterday. Weather won't be a factor. :thumbsup:

Just FYI, careful on your weather assessments. You're looking at the coldest weather we get down here compared with unseasonable warmth in Montana. I'm in Charlotte, so I know how God-awful it's been down here the last couple of days. This, however, is nowhere near as nasty as it could be in Bozeman. Each day, they're revising the forecast down. Current forecast for Saturday is a high of 30 with a 40% chance of snow. Even if that holds, that means the gametime temp will be (at the most) 20 degrees. Right now, the Monday forecast is a high of 24 and a low of 5. So, if that cold front speeds up any in the next few days, the Paladins could be staring snow and single digit temperatures square in the face. However, that won't be nearly as big a factor as altitude. FU fans can say "But we play in Boone at least every other year..." Yeah, go to Boone and then go up another 1500 feet. Or "We did fine in Missoula..." Again, go up another 1500 feet. It will make a difference. Enough of a difference to change the game? I don't know. But a difference nonetheless.

As for Kramer not knowing the Cats are playing Furman, that's just way off. He (and everyone associated with the program) knows exactly who they're up against and the incredible resume of the Furman program. What do you expect a head coach to say other than "We're gonna win!"? Would it be better if he said "The fans shouldn't bother showing up, Furman's from the mighty SoCon and they've been in the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years. We're doomed!"? Seriously.

I really respect Furman, and am scared to death of a healthy (?) Felton. I'm also just about sick of all the "MSU doesn't deserve to be there" posts and think that the Cats will be out to prove everyone wrong come Saturday morning.

thirdgendin
November 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Just FYI, careful on your weather assessments. You're looking at the coldest weather we get down here compared with unseasonable warmth in Montana. I'm in Charlotte, so I know how God-awful it's been down here the last couple of days. This, however, is nowhere near as nasty as it could be in Bozeman. Each day, they're revising the forecast down. Current forecast for Saturday is a high of 30 with a 40% chance of snow. Even if that holds, that means the gametime temp will be (at the most) 20 degrees. Right now, the Monday forecast is a high of 24 and a low of 5. So, if that cold front speeds up any in the next few days, the Paladins could be staring snow and single digit temperatures square in the face. However, that won't be nearly as big a factor as altitude. FU fans can say "But we play in Boone at least every other year..." Yeah, go to Boone and then go up another 1500 feet. Or "We did fine in Missoula..." Again, go up another 1500 feet. It will make a difference. Enough of a difference to change the game? I don't know. But a difference nonetheless.

As for Kramer not knowing the Cats are playing Furman, that's just way off. He (and everyone associated with the program) knows exactly who they're up against and the incredible resume of the Furman program. What do you expect a head coach to say other than "We're gonna win!"? Would it be better if he said "The fans shouldn't bother showing up, Furman's from the mighty SoCon and they've been in the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years. We're doomed!"? Seriously.

I really respect Furman, and am scared to death of a healthy (?) Felton. I'm also just about sick of all the "MSU doesn't deserve to be there" posts and think that the Cats will be out to prove everyone wrong come Saturday morning.

In the last 10 years, Furman has played at altitudes higher than Bozeman twice. We won a playoff game and were a 4th and goal conversion away from beating a I-A team. So our staff has faced the challenge of preparing a team for altitudes like this before, but none of our players have played at higher than 3,333 feet thus far in their college careers.

OL FU
November 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
In the last 10 years, Furman has played at altitudes higher than Bozeman twice. We won a playoff game and were a 4th and goal conversion away from beating a I-A team. So our staff has faced the challenge of preparing a team for altitudes like this before, but none of our players have played at higher than 3,333 feet thus far in their college careers.

I realize that altitude conditioning is different. I ran in Denver and found out quickly. But one thing I have been impressed with is Furman's conditioning. We rarely look tired. OF course, some of that is due to constant substitution.

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
I would never say MSU doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. I will tend to agree that they should proably not be hosting a home game. But, that has nothing to do with MSU, but is due to a stupid system that needs to be fixed (plenty of discussion on that topic already). But, all of you Cats seem so excited and you have been waiting for this day for so long, I gotta admit I'm happy for you.

I have thought about the altitude thing, and I don't think it will be that much of an issue. If we were playing in Summit County or somewhere higher maybe, but one of the reasons I love skiing Big Sky is that I never get altitude sickness when I'm there. If the coaches keep them well hydrated, I don't think that altitude will give the Cats that much of an advantage. I guess we'll see come Saturday. I hope it's a good game, and bothteams play well and show well for their schools....just so long as FU plays a little better!!! LOL!!

jwfgeol
November 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
OMG... are you saying that maybe the committee peeked at the bids before setting the brackets, and MSU 'bought' their way into the playoffs?????
He's not saying MSU bid to get IN the playoffs, they had to place a bid for a home game.

GrizFoo
November 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I really don't see Furman having any problems with the weather or altitude. But it is still a home game for the cats, and that always provides some advantage.
Although, this is the cats we are talking about. After loosing 3 home games in a row this year their coach has had them all stay in a hotel the night before games, to make it seem more like an away game. So, who knows who has the advantage.
This game could go either way, I was real impressed with Furman earlier in the year when they played North Carolina. I'm not sure MSU will have what it takes to win this game, or not. Both teams have a lot of talent as far as I can tell. I expect it will be an exciting game either way.
Good luck to both teams, but go cats. (man it feels funny saying that)

FurmanPaladins4138
November 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Furman 28
Montana St. 18

Not going to be as close as people think.

CopperCat
November 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Furman 28
Montana St. 18

Indeed, we shall see soon enough.

AndrewFU21
November 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Just for fun here is a statistical comparison of the two teams:

Scoring Offense
FU: 25.6
MSU: 19.4

Scoring Defense
FU: 20.4
MSU: 21.4.... interesting to see that they have actually been outscored by 2 ppg this year

Total Offense
FU: 347.5
MSU: 323

Rushing Offense
FU: 174.1
MSU: 98.5

Passing Offense
FU: 173.4
MSU: 225.3

Total Defense
FU: 290.5
MSU: 304.8

Rushing Defense
FU: 129.1
MSU: 106.5

Passing Defense
FU: 161.5
MSU: 198.3

So, it seems that MSU likes to pass the ball a lot, while FU has a more balanced attack although we will run the ball a lot. Both teams are better at stopping the run than the pass, although its important to remember when looking at stats that the BSC has a lot more passing teams, and the SoCon more running teams. Their run defense worries me a little bit, but if healthy we will bring the best running game that MSU has seen all year. What also worries me is the MSU passing game, which has produced a lot, and their 6'2" wide out Jefferson who could be trouble for our short secondary. It is interesting that MSU has thrown quite a few picks this year(17). Have the Bobcats been running a two QB system, or has it been injuries that have caused both guys to play? Carpenter seems to have a little better stats, is he going to start on Saturday?

Bobcat in NC
November 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Still unknown on the starting QB. MSU didn't go 2 QB by choice. Carpenter started the year and went down a few games in after a high ankle sprain. Rolovich came in and led the Cats to the winning streak. Rolo's listed as questionable, as he took a HUGE hit in the Cat/Griz game. If I had to guess, I'd say Carpenter will be starting. Just a guess, though. He came in after Rolo went down last week and had a tough time against UM. But, who wouldn't if they came in to try to win a game against that defense cold? You're right to be worried about Jefferson. If he keeps his head on straight (had a little temper problem and a case of the drops in Cat/Griz), he can be a nightmare for opposing teams. Against Idaho State, he went off for something like 305 total yards and 5 touchdowns, 2 of them rushing. If he's out of control mentally, the Cats may have problems. I'm hoping that he got the horror out of his system and will be focused and ready to go on Saturday.

Bobcat in NC
November 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Furman 28
Montana St. 18

I agree completely, not nearly as close as everyone thinks.

Cats: 27
Paladins: 10

catbob
November 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Carpenter started all the way up until partway through the PSU game, where he had a high-ankle sprain. Rolovich came in and popped off 4 straight victories, before falling to UM.

Rolovich:
Very strong arm
Tends to overthrow, especially over-the-middle routes
Has pretty good pocket awareness, but is about as fast as molasses
Looks for the deep ball too often, but has gotten better about checking down

Carpenter:
Throws kind of an ugly ball (never seen a perfect spiral I swear)
A bit more accurate
A bit more indecisive
Throws to an outlet WR/RB too quickly before other routes develop
Very composed
Much better scrambler

It really is a wash - neither QB has played outstanding, but I believe Rolo will be starting if healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Carp come in if Rolo struggles. Carpenter saw his first action last week against the Griz late in the game, after Rolovich got hammered and took himself out of the game.

Jefferson, what can you say, one of the most talented WRs I've ever seen at MSU, but is very incosistent, and plays pretty bad at home. When he is on fire, think Michael Irvin - tall, athletic, fast, and is dangerous after the catch. Otherwise, he will just drop the ball.

Our running game is going to be a problem - starting RB is out, backup is banged up, third string hasn't show much this season.

DaGriz
November 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Wow, when was the last time there was enough interest in MSU football for a thread 20 pages long 4 days before the next game? Nice job Cats. Good luck this weekend.

Ronbo
November 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
It's probably been posted but Cat fans are telling us that MSU bid 200K for the opening round game. If you are an at-large selection you better pony up. This proves it. NCAA wants a big guarantee. If you are on the road playing a game with 2 at-large teams then blame your AD. He is the one to blame.

LarryBoy
November 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
But, it's a blind bid. Our AD (Gary Clark) said that he made the biggest first-round bid in school history. And we've gotten that bid six out of the last seven times. You can't blame him.

FUwolfpacker
November 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
No offense Ronbo or LarryBoy, this isn't directed at you, but honestly guys...all this stuff has been covered over and over again. Hopefully everyone gets it by now. It's all about the money, teams get shafted every year (not just FU), yada yada yada.

We have talked about bids for the last 3 days. How much more can be said that hasn't been covered already? Let's all try to stick to football from now until the game. Is that too much to ask people?! :)

youwouldno
November 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
I don't blame Furman's AD. Allegedly the Paladins put up a pretty large bid, but Montana St probably put up the biggest bid in the field.

walliver
November 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe the NCAA was quietly inforcing the Confederate Battle Flag boycott, but keeping it low key to avoid a backlash like they had with the Native American Boycott.

On a more serious note, there is far too much secrecy involved in the I-AA/FCS playoffs. Maybe the NCAA should just publish everyone's bids.

SCPALADIN
November 22nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
On a more serious note, there is far too much secrecy involved in the I-AA/FCS playoffs. Maybe the NCAA should just publish everyone's bids.

:thumbsup: Excellent Idea...

Kabooom
November 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
:bawling:
No offense Ronbo or LarryBoy, this isn't directed at you, but honestly guys...all this stuff has been covered over and over again. Hopefully everyone gets it by now. It's all about the money, teams get shafted every year (not just FU), yada yada yada.

We have talked about bids for the last 3 days. How much more can be said that hasn't been covered already? Let's all try to stick to football from now until the game. Is that too much to ask people?! :)

:bawling: Agreed.....Just let them play the game...... :bawling:

AZGrizFan
November 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Just for fun here is a statistical comparison of the two teams:

Scoring Offense
FU: 25.6
MSU: 19.4

Scoring Defense
FU: 20.4
MSU: 21.4.... interesting to see that they have actually been outscored by 2 ppg this year

Total Offense
FU: 347.5
MSU: 323

Rushing Offense
FU: 174.1
MSU: 98.5

Passing Offense
FU: 173.4
MSU: 225.3

Total Defense
FU: 290.5
MSU: 304.8

Rushing Defense
FU: 129.1
MSU: 106.5

Passing Defense
FU: 161.5
MSU: 198.3

So, it seems that MSU likes to pass the ball a lot, while FU has a more balanced attack although we will run the ball a lot. Both teams are better at stopping the run than the pass, although its important to remember when looking at stats that the BSC has a lot more passing teams, and the SoCon more running teams. Their run defense worries me a little bit, but if healthy we will bring the best running game that MSU has seen all year. What also worries me is the MSU passing game, which has produced a lot, and their 6'2" wide out Jefferson who could be trouble for our short secondary. It is interesting that MSU has thrown quite a few picks this year(17). Have the Bobcats been running a two QB system, or has it been injuries that have caused both guys to play? Carpenter seems to have a little better stats, is he going to start on Saturday?

And all those stats can be thrown out the window.

They might actually MEAN something if they played common opponents, but they don't. That's like comparing stats from a Pac-10 team and a Big-12 team....different philosophies, different level of opponents. I've seen Furman play once on TV this year. MSU FLIES to the ball, hits like a mule, and will have people running for their lives. Get ready for a knockdown-dragout, Furman.....this ain't no cakewalk.

PaladinFan
November 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
I doubt anyone said it would be a cakewalk, especially because we are on the road.

You can't really just throw a seasons worth of statistics out the window. Those numbers do say a thing or two.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 23rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
I doubt anyone said it would be a cakewalk, especially because we are on the road.

You can't really just throw a seasons worth of statistics out the window. Those numbers do say a thing or two.
Throw out the numbers.......inflated due to "patsies" on everyone's schedule........

PaladinFan
November 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
To a point. Seeing that the 'Dins give up 129 on the ground a game in a run-happy Southern Conference does say something.

catbob
November 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Also for any Furman fans looking for some scouting info, you can re-watch the Bobcat/Colorado game here : http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=591085

Click on the BuffVision Game Re-Broadcast.

Our offense is slightly different (Toliver (WR), Groves (RB), and probably Carpenter out (QB), and our current starting TE was injured for this game), but the defense is basically the same. I think we are playing better defense now, but you will get the idea.

placidlakegriz
November 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Also for any Furman fans looking for some scouting info, you can re-watch the Bobcat/Colorado game here : http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=591085

Click on the BuffVision Game Re-Broadcast.

Our offense is slightly different (Toliver (WR), Groves (RB), and probably Carpenter out (QB), and our current starting TE was injured for this game), but the defense is basically the same. I think we are playing better defense now, but you will get the idea.

Or to watch last weeks GRIZ/cat game go to:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/, go to sports extra, griz central and than click on griz rewind. You will find a replay of the game there.

Death Dealer
November 23rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
We'll see Saturday. The best team that day will go home happy. Seems like a pretty good match-up. Good luck to both teams...just a little more to the dins.

Block-A
November 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Good luck, tomorrow, Furple!

Come back to Boone!

CopperCat
November 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Good luck, tomorrow, Furple!

Come back to Boone!

If anyone is coming to Boone, its gonna be the blue and gold.

nick9c
November 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Furman's weakside LB Gary Nelson did not make the trip to Bozeman...injured his leg in practice. R-Freshman Philip Morris will start in his place.

Bobcat in NC
November 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I agree completely, not nearly as close as everyone thinks.

Cats: 27
Paladins: 10

How's that for a random guess? Off by one on the point spread...