UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ YSU
UTM @ IlSU
SIU@Montana

DetroitFlyer
November 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Gee, what a suprise, an "old guard member" not including USD. I am simply shocked....:(

matfu
November 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
i agree with the playoff games listed above!

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Gee, what a suprise, an "old guard member" not including USD. I am simply shocked....:(
Old Guard? We aren't even f'ing playoff eligible.... otherwise we would be seeded :(

MiloCat
November 18th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Even if there was an "old guard," how can you consider an NDSU fan a member? They've been in I-AA, what, 4 years?

November 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Dflyer sour grapes?

mainejeff
November 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
PSU @ McNeese
CCU @ App St
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ YSU
UTM @ IlSU
SIU@Montana

I see none of those road teams winning.

DetroitFlyer
November 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
mindset in the world of CS or I-AA. It does not matter what your team or conference is.... In fact, most of the PFL top dogs are charter members....

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Of those matchups, I think PSU is the most likely winner on the road

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM
best chance would be SIU and PSU IMHO :)

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
mindset in the world of CS or I-AA. It does not matter what your team or conference is.... In fact, most of the PFL top dogs are charter members....

Give it up dude, you don't know what you are saying. Your definition of your own term has changed several times. The fact that you include NDSU in that category makes it just hilarious

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
who is PSU?

matfu
as a furman fan i think new hampshire would have a very good chance to beat furman because we have been up and down, have had lots of injuries and new hampshire is a passing team; in fact i would consider it an upset and a huge win if furman beats new hampshire

DetroitFlyer
Ralph, although you have gotten a bit better relative to the PFL, NEC and MAAC teams, there is little doubt how you feel about these conference champions getting a bid to the playoffs.... If all is right with the world, many of you will be sorely dissapointed tomorrow when USD gets a bid. Unfortunately, most of the time all is not right with the world. In my opinion, USD deserves a bid and the willingness of the old guard to simply write off USD is a very strong indication of what is wrong with I-AA or CS, and an even stronger indication of how little room you have to denigrate the BCS process....

matfu
November 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
portland state

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
who is PSU?
Portland St

AndrewFU21
November 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I don't see SIU getting sent to a seed. McNeese goes to Missoula IMO.

matfu
November 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Ralph, although you have gotten a bit better relative to the PFL, NEC and MAAC teams, there is little doubt how you feel about these conference champions getting a bid to the playoffs.... If all is right with the world, many of you will be sorely dissapointed tomorrow when USD gets a bid. Unfortunately, most of the time all is not right with the world. In my opinion, USD deserves a bid and the willingness of the old guard to simply write off USD is a very strong indication of what is wrong with I-AA or CS, and an even stronger indication of how little room you have to denigrate the BCS process....

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE!

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
SIU got sent to UD in 03, it is about asses in seats.... who else gets a home game?

Saluki_man
November 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM
PSU @ McNeese
CCU @ App St
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ YSU
UTM @ IlSU
SIU@Montana

As much as McNeese is going to bid, I can't see the committe giving a 7-4 team a home game over UNH or SIU with a better record.

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
As much as McNeese is going to bid, I can't see the committe giving a 7-4 team a home game over UNH or SIU with a better record.
both UNH and SIU would be the third team from their conf to get a home game- which I don't see happening

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM
UNH could very well beat Furman on the road, too, though I would be rooting for the 'Dins.

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think PSU and UNH are the top road "upsets" should that scenario unfold...I don't see Montana losing in the first round.

Saluki_man
November 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
both UNH and SIU would be the third team from their conf to get a home game- which I don't see happening

I'm just hard pressed to think that a 7-4 team would get rewarded with a home game. Other than UNH and SIU to get home games, it may be the OVC champ UT Martin getting the home game. You have to remember that the comitte rewarded the OVC champ last year in EIU with a home game.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 05:10 PM
as a furman fan i think new hampshire would have a very good chance to beat furman because we have been up and down, have had lots of injuries and new hampshire is a passing team; in fact i would consider it an upset and a huge win if furman beats new hampshire

UNH has been inconsistent too. The Paladins have been good at home, beating App St last year (the only I-AA team to do so); our last home loss was to JMU in 2004. That JMU team was defense-oriented, however, whereas UNH has serious defensive issues.

In that matchup, should it occur, I think Furman would have a slight edge. Our defense has improved and Felton hopefully will be near or at full strength. Santos/Ball hopefully will be kept off the field as much as possible by the Furman running game.

The bracket isn't out yet, but if this game happens my initial guess would be a 24-21 type game.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Folks, the way it works is that the committee picks the at-larges, selects the seeds and puts all of the teams into the brackets. Only then does the committee open the sealed bids. The only way McNeese State, for example, gets a home game is if it doesn't draw a seed (a trong possibility for a 7-4 team) and then has a higher bif than the team it is paired with.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 05:14 PM
That has nothing to do with the bids. Three teams from the same conference have hosted before (2002 SoCon, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Furman, I believe).

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
That has nothing to do with the bids. Three teams from the same conference have hosted before (2002 SoCon, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Furman, I believe).
Furmie was at Nova in 02

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=568

matfu
November 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
our best defense would be our running offense IF felton and gray are anywhere close to 100%. of course we did lose in the playoffs to u mass at furman in 99 by 7 and hofstra at furman in 2000 by 7 and we are 1-4 against atlantic 10 teams in the playoffs since 1999. i am just not sure renalydo gray's ankle will be healthy.

beating new hampshire would help me get over the james madison 14-13 loss in 2004..lol.

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
did happen in 99 though

matfu
November 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM

nope furman got sent on the road in 2002...lost to villanova something like 42-35.

rcny46
November 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM

According to a local sportswriter,The athletic dept.at UNH feels somewhat optimistic that they will end up with a home game in the first round.Given the likely participants,I am having a hard time coming up with a team team they would host.It won't happen IMO.

Saluki_man
November 18th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I have a feeling McNeese is off to Montana to face the griz.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 05:29 PM
nope furman got sent on the road in 2002...lost to villanova something like 42-35.
Might have been 2001 then, but it has happened before.

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 05:33 PM
in 99 the big three were at home

UMass922
November 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
In my opinion, USD deserves a bid and the willingness of the old guard to simply write off USD is a very strong indication of what is wrong with I-AA or CS, and an even stronger indication of how little room you have to denigrate the BCS process....

Most of us--many of us, anyway (I can't deny that USD gets hit with a lot of "smack" even here on the "discussion" board)--do not "simply write off USD." We closely examine their regular-season resume, compare it to the resumes of other at-large contenders, and decide that USD is not deserving of a playoff berth. I don't believe USD should or will get into the playoffs, but that doesn't mean I don't take them seriously, and it doesn't mean I think they're a weak team. They very well might be better than some of the teams that get in ahead of them. I just don't think they've offered enough evidence--in the form of wins against playoff-caliber competition--to justify a selection.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
A UNH / UMASS rematch at McGuirk would be insane.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
App has earned a first round match from what would be the last or second to last team in the field, CCU is not one of those teams.:nono: If CCU is sent to Boone in the first round it would be a big time a hose job.:nod:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
App has earned a first round match from what would be the last or second to last team in the field, CCU is not one of those teams.:nono: If CCU is sent to Boone in the first round it would be a big time a hose job.:nod:
Well........................you will be at the ROCK.......what's wrong with playing CCU????

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
OK Guys throw out YOUR playoff brackets

HensRock
November 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Well teh Autos are now set:
Montana, App State, UMass, YSU, Lafayette, McNeese State, Hampton, and TN-Martin. How do you see the remaining field?

I see the At-large teams as:

JMU, UNH, ILL St., SIU, Furman, Coastal Carolina, Delaware State, EIU

Seeds:
#1 App. State
#2 Montana
#3 UMass
#4 Youngstown St.

Round 1:
TN-Martin @ #1 App State
McNeese St. @ #2 Montana
Lafayette @ #3 UMass
Del State @ #4 YSU
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ IL State
UNH @ SIU
Furman @ Coastal

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Well teh Autos are now set:
Montana, App State, UMass, YSU, Lafayette, McNeese State, Hampton, and TN-Martin. How do you see the remaining field?

I see the At-large teams as:

JMU, UNH, ILL St., SIU, Furman, Coastal Carolina, Delaware State, EIU

Seeds:
#1 App. State
#2 Montana
#3 UMass
#4 Youngstown St.

Round 1:
TN-Martin @ #1 App State
McNeese St. @ #2 Montana
Lafayette @ #3 UMass
Del State @ #4 YSU
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ IL State
UNH @ SIU
Furman @ Coastal
Didn't Delaware St lose today ????

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I also question Del ST, otherwise I like it...Idd add PSU over DSU

howvan
November 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Bring on Lafayette to the Ice Castle.

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
CCU @ App St*
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass*
Hampton @ JMU
UTM @ YSU*
EIU @ ISU
SIU @ McNeese St
PSU @ Montana

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
CCU @ App St*
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass*
Hampton @ JMU
UTM @ YSU*
EIU @ ISU
SIU @ McNeese St
PSU @ Montana
PSU can't play at Montana (Same Conf)

walliver
November 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM

There really isn't anybody else from the deep south to travel to Boone in the first round since conference members cannot meet in the first round. The only other realistic options from a geographic standpoint would be Hampton or UT-Martin

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM

They can, but they won't. Committee doesn't like to pair first round games with teams that have already played, but there's no rule against it.

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM

I said that to myself too!!!:nod:

BestOfBreed
November 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
McNeese State at Montana
Lafayette at Massachusetts
Coastal Carolina at Appalachian State
Hampton at James Madison
Wofford at Youngstown State
New Hampshire at Furman
McNeese State at Montana
Portland State at Southern Illinois
UT-Martin at Illinois State

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Earth to AppSt fan...only the top 4 teams get a seed. All the other teams are from 5-16 are considered on the same level. The matchups and home games are now selected considering location, travel, bids, and no conference matchups in round 1.

November 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Monmouth @ Lafayette
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State
Southern Illinois @ UMass
James Madison @ Hampton
UNI @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana
San Diego @ McNeese State
Delaware State @ Youngstown State

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
You seriously don't think they send the "weaker" teams to the seeded teams...

I'm not saying that #1 plays #16, but ASU will not be playing JMU, UNH, SIU in the first round, they will be playing one of the "weaker" teams in the committee's eyes (CCU, UT-Martin, or Lafayette).

I see the JMU fans are aware of The Rock effect, surely you haven't forgotten Sept. 9th already:smiley_wi .

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNI @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

Ralph this was ur attempt at the Academy Award in the Comedy Category right?

San Diego, UNI, Monmouth and Del St and no UNH???? :eek: :eek:

November 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
... no UNH????Oops, typo fixed:
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNH @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

ISUMatt
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNI @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

Joey Lawrence juat called and said WHOA!!!

Saint3333
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNI @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

Delaware St., SD, and Monmouth all make the playoffs?

ISU to Montana and not SD in this scenario??

UT Martin, Lafayette home game???

Who's hijacked Ralphie's computer:rotateh:

thirdgendin
November 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Oops, typo fixed:
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNH @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

Monmouth, San Diego, and Delaware State in over Furman?!?! xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx

And Lafayette and UT Martin HOSTING?

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Ralph cant u punish San Diego since u got them in and make them go get there ass whooped in Montana :D

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 09:42 PM
oh i just noticed no Furman hmmm I think Ralph needs to head to bed its been a long day for him :D

furpal87
November 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Let me try:
Coastal @ App State (1)
Hampton @ JMU
UNH @ Youngstown (4)
UT Martin @ Furman
McNeese @ Montana (2)
Port St. @ So. Ill
Laffayette @ Mass (3)
Ill State @ E. Ill

I really feel the 16 teams are solid. The only others would be Del. State, USD, and Wofford.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Why does everyone have UNH playing Furman? That seems a pretty tough matchup for a higher ranked At-Large, no?

November 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
oh i just noticed no Furman hmmm I think Ralph needs to head to bed its been a long day for him :DMaybe it's time for Furman to get woofed?

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Let me try:
Coastal @ App State (1)
Hampton @ JMU
UNH @ Youngstown (4)
UT Martin @ Furman
McNeese @ Montana (2)
Port St. @ So. Ill
Laffayette @ Mass (3)
Ill State @ E. Ill

I really feel the 16 teams are solid. The only others would be Del. State, USD, and Wofford.

For a first post or 10,000th, I think that's really, really good. Del St. should be out, IMO.

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
You seriously don't think they send the "weaker" teams to the seeded teams...

I'm not saying that #1 plays #16, but ASU will not be playing JMU, UNH, SIU in the first round, they will be playing one of the "weaker" teams in the committee's eyes (CCU, UT-Martin, or Lafayette).

I see the JMU fans are aware of The Rock effect, surely you haven't forgotten Sept. 9th already:smiley_wi .

You sir have no clue how the playoffs are selected obviously. UMass was the #5 team in the Nation in 2004 and was sent packing on the road to Colgate in the first round. Explain that one to me? That happens on a regular basis. JMU will not be sent on the road because we put almost 16k butts in the seat each week and will have a higher bid than almost everyone except for ASU, Mont, and maybe 1 other. The NCAA wants to make the most money while spending the least on travel. Hampton is coming to us because it is a short bus ride down the interstate. If there was a 1-AA team that was less than 3-4 hours from Boone and they made the playoffs, it would be an almost 100% chance they would play ASU in Boone in the 1st round...even if they were the consensus #5 team in the nation. As long as they weren't in the SoCon and didn't also pack 15k+ in their stands.

READ THE FREAKIN' NCAA MANUAL THAT STATES THE SELECTION PROCESS RULES!!!! It says right in there that all they look at is sealed bids, location, travel expenses, after they seed the Top 4.

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Change it to EIU @ ISU and it looks ok

November 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Let me try:
Coastal @ App State (1)
Hampton @ JMU
UNH @ Youngstown (4)
UT Martin @ Furman
McNeese @ Montana (2)
Port St. @ So. Ill
Laffayette @ Mass (3)
Ill State @ E. Ill

I really feel the 16 teams are solid. The only others would be Del. State, USD, and Wofford.four conference AQs on the road?

Slackjaw
November 18th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I just have one question.
What's the fascination with Portland state? Basically you guys are all saying that if you want to get chosen over a team that beat you (Montana state) and has the same record, just schedule guaranteed losses. Its not like they played really well in those two 1-a losses. Not well enough to forget about a 14-0 dominating defeat to another at large possible. Isn't heads up worth anything??

Stats from PSU vs. MSU
PSU MSU
1st Downs 7 17
Total Yards 132 269
Passing 73 123
Rushing 59 146
Possession 22:59 37:01

Edit: I'm not saying that I think MSU should get in, but they should be ahead of PSU

JohnStOnge
My understanding is that the top 4 seeds play at home but, beyond that, it's all about geography and bid amounts. From what I can tell, in the first round, if you're one of the unseeded teams and you put up the biggest bid among them you're playing at home in the first round. Rankings, etc., dont' count at all (again, except for the fact that the top 4 seeds play at home).

Mr. C
The committee will make the tournament as regional as possible. JMU will draw Hampton (no-brainer) and Furman has already played Coastal Carolina and, unlike last year's Cal Poly-Montana rematch, the committee usually doesn't send team to rematches in the first round. Who else would draw CCU this year. And how do you know that the Chanticleers are not considered one of the lower seeded teams in the tournament? I doubt they are ranked much higher than 13th or 14th.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Maybe it's time for Furman to get woofed?

Uh, no.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mine is here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I'll post it here too:

Coastal Carolina at #1 Appalachian State
Eastern Illinois at Illinois State

Lafayette at #2 UMass
Portland State at Furman

Southern Illinois at #3 Montana
Tennessee-Martin at McNeese State

New Hampshire at #4 Youngstown State
Hampton at James Madison

November 18th, 2006, 09:58 PM
JMU @ Hampton

winning the conference has to count for something right?

What about Monmouth and San Diego???? Not to mention Del St?

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
And who would you pick ahead of the Paladins? You and I both know that isn't going to happen.

Can you imagine how much crybabying Bobby Lamb would do if Furman got Woofed (like Furman should have instead of Wofford in 2002).

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
And he would be right to cry. Btw Del St lost so they are officially doneski.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM
JMU @ Hampton

winning the conference has to count for something right?

What about Monmouth and San Diego???? Not to mention Del St?
No, winning the conference doesn't count unless you put enough money in your bid. How many teams are going to out-bid JMU? Not many.

You know that San Diego and Monmouth are going to be playing in two weeks in the Gridiron Classic.

And who would you pick ahead of the Paladins? You and I both know that isn't going to happen.

Can you imagine how much crybabying Bobby Lamb would do if Furman got Woofed (like Furman should have instead of Wofford in 2002).Sorry, I can't say... it is confidential. :cool:

HensRock
Didn't Delaware St lose today ????

Damn. I completely missed that. They were ahead earlier when I checked and just assumed they won.

(BTW, I thought I started this thread. How come my post is on the second page??)

chiapet9
November 18th, 2006, 10:03 PM
i doubt Hampton will get a home bid over JMU. the Dukes are hardpressed to get a home game this year (should have been two if it hadn't been for that debacle at 'Nova.) and I'm sure they bid quite well. (JMU will completely fill their stadium despite it being over Thanksgiving break.) Hampton will be making the 3 hour trip to Harrisonburg (though quite frankly...it'd be closer for me as a JMU alum to drive to Hampton.)

ISUMatt
Damn. I completely missed that. They were ahead earlier when I checked and just assumed they won.

(BTW, I thought I started this thread. How come my post is on the second page??)

MERGED

Mr. C
Sorry, I can't say... it is confidential. :cool:
Yeah, right.

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 10:04 PM

I started a similar thread earlier- they took your thread title and then combined the two... probably a good thing :)

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Delaware State was done before they took the field today. Strength of Schedule.

Purple Knight
November 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM

This would not surprise me. They may need to make a statement with USD.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Delaware State was done before they took the field today. Strength of Schedule.

Right, but for Furman not to make it, SOS would have to be disregarded as a criteria, which apparently was the basis for Ralph's bizarre prediction.

November 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah, right.What???? Now I'm a conk???? xlolx My posts on this thread have been for comedic effect.

Anywho, looks like this will be an easy night for the D-I Champ Committee.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
You sir have no clue how the playoffs are selected obviously. UMass was the #5 team in the Nation in 2004 and was sent packing on the road to Colgate in the first round. Explain that one to me? That happens on a regular basis. JMU will not be sent on the road because we put almost 16k butts in the seat each week and will have a higher bid than almost everyone except for ASU, Mont, and maybe 1 other. The NCAA wants to make the most money while spending the least on travel. Hampton is coming to us because it is a short bus ride down the interstate. If there was a 1-AA team that was less than 3-4 hours from Boone and they made the playoffs, it would be an almost 100% chance they would play ASU in Boone in the 1st round...even if they were the consensus #5 team in the nation. As long as they weren't in the SoCon and didn't also pack 15k+ in their stands.

READ THE FREAKIN' NCAA MANUAL THAT STATES THE SELECTION PROCESS RULES!!!! It says right in there that all they look at is sealed bids, location, travel expenses, after they seed the Top 4.

I think that JMU is closer to Boone than CCU is, so I guess by your manual you've read ever so closely JMU will be coming to Boone... Lucky for you that won't happen.

BTW I never said JMU would be on the road, but since you are so sure JMU's bid is so good you must have inside information on how much JMU's bid and it appears everyone else's bid as well, please enlighten us.:rolleyes:

chiapet9
November 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
JMU is about 1 hour closer to ASU than CCU. however - Hampton is 1. in virginia, 2. in a completely difference conference, and 3. closer to JMU than any other team that might make the playoffs.

chiapet9
November 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM
maybe UNH could play Hampton and JMU could play Furman?

HensRock
November 18th, 2006, 10:24 PM

I wouldn't say "officially", since they do still have 7 D-I wins. But I would say "practically" speaking, they are done.

OK, here's a second attempt (since I found out DSU ended up losing today)

TN-Martin @ #1 App State
Furman @ Coastal

JMU @ #4 Youngstown State
EIU @ SIU

McNeese St. @ #2 Montana
PSU @ IL State

Lafayette @ #3 UMass
UNH @ Hampton

Or possibly Send EIU to YSU and SIU to JMU.

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I think that JMU is closer to Boone than CCU is, so I guess by your manual you've read ever so closely JMU will be coming to Boone... Lucky for you that won't happen.

BTW I never said JMU would be on the road, but since you are so sure JMU's bid is so good you must have inside information on how much JMU's bid and it appears everyone else's bid as well, please enlighten us.:rolleyes:

You don't read to well do you? JMU will not be on the road because our bid will be one of the highest, if not the highest of all the non seeded teams. Mainly because our attendance is one of the best of the non seeded teams. So since Hampton is @3 hours from JMU it is simple math and logic that they will come to us. CCU only brings @7k(this is rough guess on my part) to their home games so they can't bid as much.

No, I don't have inside info on JMU's bid..I only have the info that JMU's AD publicly stated in the newspaper. He said we made a mistake in 2004 bidding to low and said this year will be much different. His statement was of we have put in "very aggressive bid this year."

My original statement was against the AppSt fan that was crying over them maybe playing CCU in the 1st round...calling it a "hose job."

edit---also my manual is the NCAA manual...and if you go by it then no..JMU will not play at Boone.

chiapet9
November 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
i just can't see them giving JMU an away game against a seeded team if they're ranked in the top 8 (even though i KNOW they only seed 4 teams and then the rest are based on location/geography/blah blah blah.)

HensRock
November 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM
i just can't see them giving JMU an away game against a seeded team if they're ranked in the top 8 (even though i KNOW they only seed 4 teams and then the rest are based on location/geography/blah blah blah.)

2003 SIU was sent to Delaware.

SIU was ranked #3 or #4 in the nation I beleive at the end of the regular season.

chiapet9
November 18th, 2006, 10:32 PM
2003 SIU was sent to Delaware.

SIU was ranked #3 or #4 in the nation I beleive at the end of the regular season.

that makes no sense. i'm not saying you're wrong. i'm just saying it makes no sense. top 4 get home games? so whose idea was that?

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Tell that to UMass in 2004. They were the #5 team in the nation and were sent packing in the 1st round.

Also to Sothern Illinois in 2004. They were the #1 team in the Power Ratings and ranked near the Top 6 and were sent packing to Delaware, the #2 seeded team.

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 10:34 PM
that makes no sense. i'm not saying you're wrong. i'm just saying it makes no sense. top 4 get home games? so whose idea was that?

Welcome to the world of NCAA selection processes.

UNH 40
November 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM
With illinois state losing does that possibly open the door for a UNH home game in the first round?

Dabnus Brickey
November 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'm not a "just happy to be here" fan by no stretch. I just want to say that I have tons of respect for you guys at Appy. St. And I hope we don't play you.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
With illinois state losing does that possibly open the door for a UNH home game in the first round?

If UNH puts in a high enough bid anythings possible.

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think both Montana St. and Portland St. should get in. Portland played games against Oregon and Cal, teams that no one in 1-AA could win. Take out those, and their 7-2 with a win over New Mexico and losses to top 25 teams. They deserve a spot.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I think both Montana St. and Portland St. should get in. Portland played games against Oregon and Cal, teams that no one in 1-AA could win. Take out those, and their 7-2 with a win over New Mexico and losses to top 25 teams. They deserve a spot.

OK but if we can erase games can UNH take back the UMass and JMU games and claim a seed? :D

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
The committee will make the tournament as regional as possible. JMU will draw Hampton (no-brainer) and Furman has already played Coastal Carolina and, unlike last year's Cal Poly-Montana rematch, the committee usually doesn't send team to rematches in the first round. Who else would draw CCU this year. And how do you know that the Chanticleers are not considered one of the lower seeded teams in the tournament? I doubt they are ranked much higher than 13th or 14th.

I just want to see sombody differant in Boone other than the last two seasons worth of opponants ie possibles in Apps bracket CCU, Furman, Lafayette, JMU. Might as well start a playoff conf. Same teams differant year. IT"S GETTING BORING AND PRDICTABLE IN PLAYOFF MATCHES. Am I wrong to by wanting to see teams from around the us not just the same old sme old.:bang:

for this regoion why not(no regard to bracketing)
Chicky's @ Dukys,
Hampy @ New Hampy
UTMarty@Monty
Cowboys @ App
Furpys @ Youngsy
Laffy @ Massy

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM
OK but if we can erase games can UNH take back the UMass and JMU games and claim a seed? :D
Portland St. gets to take away games against top-25 1-A teams, which is completely different than taking back completely winnable games at 1-AA opponents. Its a completely different thing.:cool:

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM
:D
Portland St. gets to take away games against top-25 1-A teams, which is completely different than taking back completely winnable games at 1-AA opponents. Its a completely different thing.:cool:

If you cant deal with the results dont schedule the games. :D

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
:D

If you cant deal with the results dont schedule the games. :D
I agree, I don't know why they did that. I'm just saying that two of their four losses, (which puts them on the bubble) were unwinnable games, something the committee should consider.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 11:05 PM
im not saying they shouldnt be in, but just like San Diego a team should live and die by there schedule.

Cincy App
November 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
My predictions for brackets:

CCU at #1 ASU
Hampton at JMU

Portland St at #4 YSU
UT-Martin at S. Illinois

E. Illinois at #2 Montana
Illinois St at McNeese St

Lafayette at #3 UMass
UNH at Furman

Khan4Cats
November 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
No one seems to think there is a snowball's chance for UNI, apparently, so I will thow this out and plunk some of my internet fake poker dollars down on UNI being in for the following reasons:
1: Top 25 wins-Ill. St., SDSU, @YSU
2: 2nd place finish in Gateway
3: Geography-Portland St. and Montana St. have too far to find a regional match up (non-conf), Wofford and Towson clutter up a crowded eastern/southeastern region
4: Two 10-1 teams will play for the Grid-Iron Classic
5: Because I'm a homer and will root for my team :-)

I know the reasons why not: D2 loss, 4th team from conference

My brackets:
McNeese St. @ #1 Appy St.
EIU @ Illinois St
New Hampshire @ #4 Youngstown St.
Coastal Carolina @ JMU
Lafayette @ #3 UMass
Hampton @ Furman
UNI @ #2 Montana
SIU @ UT-Martin

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Monmouth @ Lafayette
James Madison @ Hampton
UNI @ UT Martin
Illinois State @ Montana

The Dukes aren't going to be overbid this year!! Just wait for it Ralph! :thumbsup:

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
im not saying they shouldnt be in, but just like San Diego a team should live and die by there schedule.
Unlike San Diego, Portland St. plays as real of 1-AA football as there is, Big Sky Conference conference football.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM
That's a good prediction, Cincy App.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Unlike San Diego, Portland St. plays as real of 1-AA football as there is, Big Sky Conference conference football.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They can play any kind of 1-AA schedule they want but it dont matter in I-AA :p

OK now in all seriousness I understand your point. But if a say I-AA independent played a 9 gmae schedule against I-A teams and lost all 9 then went 2-0 vs lower tier top-25 I-AA teams should they make the playoffs? Im not saying they shouldnt make the playoffs but if the only way they can is by discounting there losses vs the I-A teams then I dont think they should make it. You live and die by the schedule your school makes.

FlyYtown
November 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
UNI won't go because they lose to a D2 and was too inconsistent all year.. Nothing against UNI; but other 7-4 teams will get the nod over you guys..

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
They can play any kind of 1-AA schedule they want but it dont matter in I-AA :p

OK now in all seriousness I understand your point. But if a say I-AA independent played a 9 gmae schedule against I-A teams and lost all 9 then went 2-0 vs lower tier top-25 I-AA teams should they make the playoffs? Im not saying they shouldnt make the playoffs but if the only way they can is by discounting there losses vs the I-A teams then I dont think they should make it. You live and die by the schedule your school makes.
Okay, that post was a little exageratory, and if PSU had sheduled even one more 1-A game or had lost to New Mexico, then i would agree. But because they didn't and because they beat some good Big Sky teams, they are more deserving than say a third team from the Gateway or definitely San Diego.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Okay, that post was a little exageratory, and if PSU had sheduled even one more 1-A game or had lost to New Mexico, then i would agree. But because they didn't and because they beat some good Big Sky teams, they are more deserving than say a third team from the Gateway or definitely San Diego.

SIU or Ill State would be the 3rd team from the Gateway so I think they would be more deserving then them as for San Diego I think Northeastern is more deserving then San Diego

Cincy App
November 18th, 2006, 11:30 PM
That's a good prediction, Cincy App.

Thanks. I'm sure you like them better than Ralph's, right?!? No telling what the Committee will ultimately decide though - they often will surprise us. Seriously, good luck to Furman unless they play ASU.

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM
SIU or Ill State would be the 3rd team from the Gateway so I think they would be more deserving then them as for San Diego I think Northeastern is more deserving then San Diego
The biggest reason I say that is because I don't particularly want to play Ill. St. I'm rooting for San Diego to be coming to Missoula tomorrow, just so the Griz can have a test dummy for the rest of the playoffs. In all reality, San Diego shouldn't be in. If they would have played UC Davis before the playoffs,and won, it might be a different story. Carroll College, a NAIA school in Helena, Montana has played a more difficult schedule as have most of the high school teams in the state:thumbsup: :smiley_wi

rufus
November 19th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I hear JMU is making a "by any means necessary" bid this year, after being topped in 2004. I guess it's one of the perks of having the largest athletic budget in I-AA. We may lose money, but we'll host.

BigSkyGrizGano
November 19th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I hear JMU is making a "by any means necessary" bid this year, after being topped in 2004. I guess it's one of the perks of having the largest athletic budget in I-AA. We may lose money, but we'll host.
How many fans do you usually get at JMU? I would think you guys would get to host anyway.

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Remember folks if a team doesn't bid, then they hit the road.. I believe that is why SIU went on the road a few years ago despite being one of the top 4 teams.... Some teams simply don't want fork over the money, thinking they may not draw enough fans, even for a playoff game to cover it...

Even though the NCAA still trys to regionalize this, which they shouldn't unless its for two teams in equal standing, it cost no more for mcneese to fly to montana than it does for SIU, just for example.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks. I'm sure you like them better than Ralph's, right?!? No telling what the Committee will ultimately decide though - they often will surprise us. Seriously, good luck to Furman unless they play ASU.

I'm not too worried about getting a bid. Boone is the toughest place to play in I-AA so, while it won't happen, I would prefer Furman to be on the opposite side of the bracket as App. I guess if PSU doesn't make it there won't be many Western teams, so who knows. I'm excited, even though I don't think this is Furman's year. Either way I hope the NC stays in the SoCon.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM

I have a feeling SIU is off to Montana to face the Griz :nod:

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Well I will be the first to say I could see SIU win that game--- and it would not be called an upset.

SIU is loaded and Whitlock is a beast on the verge to the NFL... I do not want to face SIU in the playoffs!!!!

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I can say I would not be shocked to see McNeese State with a home game in the first round, though I would disagree with it.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I can say I would not be shocked to see McNeese State with a home game in the first round, though I would disagree with it.

Well then its easy, Just place your bet and outbid us

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Coastal Carolina @ #1 Appalachian State
New Hampshire @ Illinois State

Eastern Illinois @ #4 Youngstown State
Tennessee-Martin @ Furman

Northern Iowa @ #2 Montana
Southern Illinois @ McNeese State

Lafayette @ #3 Massachusetts
Hampton @ James Madison

birdsflyhigh
November 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Flytown, I've noticed since the Penguins lost at home to UNI, you've kind of had it in for the Panthers.

Usually I root for all Gateway teams against non-conference teams, but if YSU would fall after the first round in the playoffs, I won't be too sad about it.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2006, 01:36 AM
My playoff prediction is disappointment......

Good luck to YSU, Ill State and SIU.....

The Non-GFC teams I will be cheering for are McNeese State and UMASS

R.A.
November 19th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I think Hampton gets the home game over JMU.

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I think Hampton gets the home game over JMU.
I seriously doubt it because I don't think JMU is going to get outbid.

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I hate to say it, but I am getting sucked into this "maybe UNI can make it, spirit."

And I am afraid it will lead to disappointment. Especially if Portland State gets in before us, because I will be frank, they don't deserve it.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I'm not too worried about getting a bid. Boone is the toughest place to play in I-AA .

I disagree with that...at least when it comes to the playoffs. I think Montana is. I say that not only because Montana has a very good home playoff winning percentage over a large number of games but also because the difference between how the Grizz have done at home and how they've done away is dramatic (suggesting that home field really helps them a lot). Some of that is almost certainly due to generally having better teams when playing at home but I don't think all of it is.

Montana's won 83 percent (20 of 24) of its home playoff games but only 14 percent (2 of 14) of its games away from its home field.

Appalachian State's won 64 percent (9 of 14) of its home playoff games and 30 percent (3 of 10) of its playoff games away from its home field. Last year counts, of course, but before last season's great run Appalachian State was only 6 - 5 at home in the playoffs.

There's also an interesting individual example: In 1995, Appalachian State went into the tournament at 11 - 0. The Mountaineers lost by 27 - 17 at home to one - loss Stephen F. Austin in the quarterfinals.

The next week, in the semifinals, Stephen F. Austin was beaten 70 - 0 by the Grizz at Missoula. My guess is that the 1995 Stephen F. Austin team would say Missoula was a much tougher place to play.

ravens
November 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Why are you worrying about what team comes to Boone? You should figure winning 3 games at home.

ravens
November 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Most of us--many of us, anyway (I can't deny that USD gets hit with a lot of "smack" even here on the "discussion" board)--do not "simply write off USD." We closely examine their regular-season resume, compare it to the resumes of other at-large contenders, and decide that USD is not deserving of a playoff berth. I don't believe USD should or will get into the playoffs, but that doesn't mean I don't take them seriously, and it doesn't mean I think they're a weak team. They very well might be better than some of the teams that get in ahead of them. I just don't think they've offered enough evidence--in the form of wins against playoff-caliber competition--to justify a selection.
What should USD do to improve their SOS or should no one from the PFL ever make the playoffs? They beat Yale ( who had a nice win against Harvard yesterday).
USD's OOC schedule was much better than Chuck South's which had 4 DII and NAIA teams, and Chuck South was considered a playoff contender until the last 2 weeks.

ravens
November 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. C]

Can you imagine how much crybabying Bobby Lamb would do if Furman got Woofed /QUOTE]

and how would that be different than most weekends?

lucchesicourt
November 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM
USD could play ANY of the GWFC members in their OOC schedule. Afterall, the GWFC only has 4 conference games/team and that leaves 7 OCC games for each of the 5 GWFC members for a total of 35 possible game dates. I am sure one of these dates COULD fit their schedule. Their excuses about travel costs are ridiculous also as two of the GWFC members are a bus ride away if they are worried about costs.
USD will play UCD next week, and that will be their playoff game. For the first time, they will play a team that has the capability to score with them. The Aggie "D" will also be the best they have faced.
I am not sure of what the final score will be, but UCD wins. There is absolutely no way to figure how good the USD team is. If they are overrated like some think, I could see UCD winning by 24 because of team speed and considering this game means a whole lot to UCD (at home), and if USD is better than many thought UCD wins by at least 10.
I think UCD's team speed and good QB is something that USD has not had to defend against in their schedule. Things could be interestiing.
All I can say is one of the two teams will be in for a rude awakening.

ravens
November 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
USD could play ANY of the GWFC members in their OOC schedule. Afterall, the GWFC only has 4 conference games/team and that leaves 7 OCC games for each of the 5 GWFC members for a total of 35 possible game dates. I am sure one of these dates COULD fit their schedule. Their excuses about travel costs are ridiculous also as two of the GWFC members are a bus ride away if they are worried about costs.
USD will play UCD next week, and that will be their playoff game. For the first time, they will play a team that has the capability to score with them. The Aggie "D" will also be the best they have faced.
I am not sure of what the final score will be, but UCD wins. There is absolutely no way to figure how good the USD team is. If they are overrated like some think, I could see UCD winning by 24 because of team speed and considering this game means a whole lot to UCD (at home), and if USD is better than many thought UCD wins by at least 10.
I think UCD's team speed and good QB is something that USD has not had to defend against in their schedule. Things could be interestiing.
All I can say is one of the two teams will be in for a rude awakening.

and if USD wins I guess we all will say they should have made the playoffs. Too bad the game wasn't yesterday.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
You don't read to well do you? JMU will not be on the road because our bid will be one of the highest, if not the highest of all the non seeded teams. Mainly because our attendance is one of the best of the non seeded teams. So since Hampton is @3 hours from JMU it is simple math and logic that they will come to us. CCU only brings @7k(this is rough guess on my part) to their home games so they can't bid as much.

No, I don't have inside info on JMU's bid..I only have the info that JMU's AD publicly stated in the newspaper. He said we made a mistake in 2004 bidding to low and said this year will be much different. His statement was of we have put in "very aggressive bid this year."

My original statement was against the AppSt fan that was crying over them maybe playing CCU in the 1st round...calling it a "hose job."

edit---also my manual is the NCAA manual...and if you go by it then no..JMU will not play at Boone.

Maybe neither one of us can read too well and maybe the committee doesn't interpret the manual as you do. Mr. C stated in another thread that the committee prepares the brackets and then looks at the bids to determine who the home teams will be. I don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be (as far as regions) and there is some judgement involved. I too think ASU will get CCU, while I don't think it is a "hose" job I do believe they aren't the last team in. As long as ASU doesn't get an at-large fromt he Gateway or A-10 it wouldn't be a hose job.

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
CCU at #1 ASU
Hampton at JMU

Portland St at #4 YSU
S Illinois at UT-Martin

McNeese St at #2 Montana
E Illinois at Illinois St

Lafayette at #3 UMass
UNH at Furman

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM
and is USD wins I guess we all will say they should have made the playoffs. Too bad the game wasn't yesterday.

I agree. A scenario in which USD played UCD yesterday and beat them by a large margin would definitely have helped the Tors' chances. It'd have to be a really dominant performance though because UCD is a 0.500 team. So you'd be talking about a team that would finish with a losing record if USD beat it.

I hope USD makes it. I'd like to see what the Tors can do.

placidlakegriz
November 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM

We will welcome McNeese with open arms as long as they bring some Gumbo with them.:)

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM
We will welcome McNeese with open arms as long as they bring some Gumbo with them.:)

I'd hate to see the history of tight playoff games between the two messed up. The previous three have all been white-knucklers that came down to the final minute of play. Don't know if that'd happen with this year's McNeese team. I think they're better than they were at the beginning of the season but they certainly don't appear to be a national championship contender. Plus it looks like they might have gotten both their best DB and best receiver/return specialist hurt yesterday and their top running back missed yesterday's game with a groin injury.

placidlakegriz
November 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I'd hate to see the history of tight playoff games between the two messed up. The previous three have all been white-knucklers that came down to the final minute of play. Don't know if that'd happen with this year's McNeese team. I think they're better than they were at the beginning of the season but they certainly don't appear to be a national championship contender. Plus it looks like they might have gotten both their best DB and best receiver/return specialist hurt yesterday and their top running back missed yesterday's game with a groin injury.

What does that post have to do with bringing GUMBO!!!:)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2006, 09:10 AM
PSU @ McNeese
CCU @ App St
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass
Hampton @ JMU
EIU @ YSU
UTM @ IlSU
SIU@Montana

Hampton @ App State
Portland State @ YSU

Lafayette @ JMU
Furman @ UNH

UTM @ Il St.
CCU @ SIU

USD @ Montana (yeah, USD gets in)
McNeese @ UMASS

elkmcc
November 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
I disagree with that...at least when it comes to the playoffs. I think Montana is. I say that not only because Montana has a very good home playoff winning percentage over a large number of games but also because the difference between how the Grizz have done at home and how they've done away is dramatic (suggesting that home field really helps them a lot). Some of that is almost certainly due to generally having better teams when playing at home but I don't think all of it is.

Montana's won 83 percent (20 of 24) of its home playoff games but only 14 percent (2 of 14) of its games away from its home field.

Appalachian State's won 64 percent (9 of 14) of its home playoff games and 30 percent (3 of 10) of its playoff games away from its home field. Last year counts, of course, but before last season's great run Appalachian State was only 6 - 5 at home in the playoffs.

There's also an interesting individual example: In 1995, Appalachian State went into the tournament at 11 - 0. The Mountaineers lost by 27 - 17 at home to one - loss Stephen F. Austin in the quarterfinals.

The next week, in the semifinals, Stephen F. Austin was beaten 70 - 0 by the Grizz at Missoula. My guess is that the 1995 Stephen F. Austin team would say Missoula was a much tougher place to play.

A lot of what you say makes sense John but Montana was given home field advantage many of those years for a good reason. They were very good. The years they were sent on the road was because they really didn't deserve to have a home game. Let us not forget too, that one of those "away" victories was a National Championship against Marshall on their home field.

With that said I look forward to seeing the McCowboys at Wa/Griz this coming Saturday. I have been looking forward to this happening for over 10 years now. I sincerely hope you and Doc and Cbuck can all make it up for the game.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
A lot of what you say makes sense John but Montana was given home field advantage many of those years for a good reason. They were very good. The years they were sent on the road was because they really didn't deserve to have a home game.

Yes, I know that generally having better teams for home games is a factor. But I think that's also true of other programs. And the last time I looked at it (it'd be good to update it again) there was no program that'd played any meaningful number of playoff games that had the kind of difference between home and away Montana did. I remember looking at Youngstown State and Georgia Southern, for example. Both had better records at home but both also had winning records in road playoff games.

One of these days I'll update that and do it again and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Montana. It's the most consistent program in I-AA and both of its championship game wins were a long way from Missoula. In one case it was a very good opponent's home field (Marshall) and in another case it was a Southern Conference field that it's opponent (Furman) was far more familiar with. But I do think the numbers suggest that Montana has an extremely strong home field advantage...much stronger than Appalachian State's.

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
No one seems to think there is a snowball's chance for UNI, apparently, so I will thow this out and plunk some of my internet fake poker dollars down on UNI being in for the following reasons:
1: Top 25 wins-Ill. St., SDSU, @YSU
2: 2nd place finish in Gateway
3: Geography-Portland St. and Montana St. have too far to find a regional match up (non-conf), Wofford and Towson clutter up a crowded eastern/southeastern region
4: Two 10-1 teams will play for the Grid-Iron Classic
5: Because I'm a homer and will root for my team :-)

I know the reasons why not: D2 loss, 4th team from conference

2002 Villanova:
8-3 Overall record
7-2 Record in the Atlantic-10
Tied for 1st Place in Conference
Home for Thanksgiving.

Why? One of their 3 losses was to a Div-II team, and they would have been the 4th team from the A-10.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2006, 09:54 AM

1995 vs. 2006 hmmmm.... could things have changed?

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
SUMMARY

I think we have pretty wide concesus on the top 4 seeds:

1. App State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. YSU

And it looks like a matchup of Lafayette @UMass is unanimous.

Most have CCU traveling to App State
Personally, I think TN-Martin is closer, so either one could happen

Furman and CCU have already played this year, but that should not prevent them from meeting again (it's only in-conference matchups that are avoided in 1st round - see Cal Poly vs. Montana just last year)
I think Furman might actually travel to CCU depending on who has the higher bid.

YSU should be matched up with their closest OOC and that would be EIU. Is that right?

Montana will host McTeam or one of the other Gateway teams (probably SIU). I think it will be McNeese since SIU has other options.

PSU and UNH could very well get matched up because let's face it, no matter who they play, they're flying. Once in the air, it really doesn't matter how far you have to go.

Saluki_man
November 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't say "officially", since they do still have 7 D-I wins. But I would say "practically" speaking, they are done.

TN-Martin @ #1 App State
Furman @ Coastal

EIU @ SIU

McNeese St. @ #2 Montana
PSU @ IL State

Lafayette @ #3 UMass
UNH @ Hampton

As much as I like this bracket, the change I would make is PSU @ SIU and EIU @ IL St. I don't know if the comittee would put up a rematch of last years first round matchup of SIU @ EIU. I would like it, but I don't think it will happen.

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM

IMO, no precedent set before 2001 is valid. This regionalization crap has "re-written the book".

Saluki_man
November 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM

There are only two teams that would surplant McNeese on going to Missoula, those two teams are USD and UNI. USD has a decent chance on making it and UNI chance is very slim.

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 10:13 AM
As much as I like this bracket, the change I would make is PSU @ SIU and EIU @ IL St. I don't know if the comittee would put up a rematch of last years first round matchup of SIU @ EIU. I would like it, but I don't think it will happen.

I forgot about last year's first round matchup of EIU and SIU. But I don't think it should matter. If anything, I think the committee might be hesitant to award home games to all 3 Gateway teams. In that case it might be like I said in my post-script: SIU@JMU. EIU@YSU.

nmatsen
November 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM

SIU would beat Montana right now. They are playing freaking un-stopable. If SIU goes to Wash Griz in the first round the only thing that would stop the Saluki's is Wash Griz.

Tailbone
November 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
SIU would beat Montana right now.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.....even if wrong.

Bison77
November 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
SIU would beat Montana right now. They are playing freaking un-stopable. If SIU goes to Wash Griz in the first round the only thing that would stop the Saluki's is Wash Griz.

The Griz's worst nightmare is for SIU to come out west. ;)

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
First post here and i must say this forum seems pretty cool. Pretty civil, knowlegable discussion from a bunch of guys who are about to play each others teams in the playoffs!!!

As far as home field goes and where its tough to play. I have been to numerous Griz games at Wash/Griz stadium. I dont know how many of you have ever been there, but the stadium itself is awe inspiring during a game. Griz fans are some of the most faithfull in the country and they show it big time. On top of that the stadium is actually 20 feet below ground level on the playing surface which amplifies the noise a ton. I beleave it was three years ago i watched a RED HOT New Hamsire i beleave come in to play a struggling Griz team. The only reason the Griz got the home game is that New Hamshire didnt bid on the game. New Hamspire got beat down pretty bad in that game. The croud alone i feel was the difference in that game.

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I beleave it was three years ago i watched a RED HOT New Hamsire i beleave come in to play a struggling Griz team.

You watched a New Hampshire team without it's 2 best offensive weapons. Their #1 RB was out since the previous week, and their #1 receiver was injured early in the game. (or maybe it was the other way around). Anyway, that team found a way to beat GSU with one of those weapons, but losing both was too much to oversome at WGS. They were "red hot" up to that point, but I think the injuries had more to do with the loss than the atmosphere in Missoula.

BTW, Not knocking the support the Griz get at WGS, you guys are legendary. I just think that maybe there are better examples of a visiting team being overwhelmed by the environment.

Freightliner
November 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I just think that maybe there are better examples of a visiting team being overwhelmed by the environment.

See any Southland Conference Team that has visited Wa-Griz in the playoffs. If I am not mistaken...its only been 3 - Nicholls State, Northwestern State, and Sam Houston.

I think most of the old guard SLC/Griz fans would agree with me on this one?

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I just think that maybe there are better examples of a visiting team being overwhelmed by the environment.
that was just the first game i could think of, as well as the last game i have been able to go to because i have since moved out of state. Either way you get my point, it is truly a large school 1-A atmosphere with the way the croud reacts.

No matter how you look at it, i think this is going to be one heck of a 1-AA playoff year. I personally dont see the top four changins seeds, so i see App State taking the #1, the Griz getting the other top seed. I could see Umass making some serious noise, maybe even pulling off a semifinal "upset" of either team. There are going to be some pretty good at large teams as well and it should make for some exciting football, particularly among the non ranked teams!!

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM
What should USD do to improve their SOS or should no one from the PFL ever make the playoffs? They beat Yale ( who had a nice win against Harvard yesterday).
USD's OOC schedule was much better than Chuck South's which had 4 DII and NAIA teams, and Chuck South was considered a playoff contender until the last 2 weeks.

Maybe you considered Chuck South a playoff contender while they were still undefeated; most of us certainly did not. Anyway, what can San Diego do to improve its SOS? First step: play zero games against sub- D-I teams. Teams from power conferences seriously jeopardize their playoff chances when they schedule multiple sub- D-I games; for a team in a weak conference to do so is absolute suicide. Since San Diego has no chances for a "statement" win in-conference, it needs to give itself multiple opportunities to do so OOC. The Yale game is a very good start. The UC-Davis game helps a lot, too, but needs to be played before the playoff selections are made, obviously. Throw in Cal Poly (a game that USD could have had on its schedule but turned down) and a good Big Sky team (let's say Montana State, Portland State, or Northern Arizona), and San Diego has a very solid OOC schedule. A San Diego team that runs the table with that schedule would be playoff-worthy, IMHO. The seven PFL games would still do damage to the SOS, but I think wins over those four OOC teams would supply enough evidence that San Diego can beat playoff-caliber teams. Heck, I honestly think a San Diego team that goes 10-1 against that schedule would have a much better chance of making the playoffs than this year's team, especially in a year like this when there was a lack eight-win teams from the auto-bid conferences.

So yes, it can absolutely be done. It's what Gonzaga does in basketball every year to ensure that it will make the NCAA tournament (and get a good seed) even if it doesn't get the WCC auto-bid. Take a look at Gonzaga's OOC schedule this year or any year--it's absolutely brutal, as it has to be to make up for the relatively weak in-conference schedule. It means playing a lot more loseable games--but if you're afraid to lose, you're not demonstrating a playoff mentality from the outset. I believe USD could adopt that same scheduling philosophy and make the playoffs in I-AA football.

McTailGator
November 19th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Might I recomend your team upgrade to a real conference or just go D-II.

Tailbone
November 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
...... I just think that maybe there are better examples of a visiting team being overwhelmed by the environment.

Like this one?

From an earlier post on AGS:

"I remember speaking to an ex-McNeese coach who was (and is) coaching at NW State the week after they went to Wash/Griz in 2002 for the playoffs. His comment was "It was loud as hell and then when that damn bear rode out on a Harley, the place went crazy and all I could think was - Were gonna get out ass kicked".

McTailGator
November 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM

NCAA views McNeese and Lake Charles as a venue they want to see host a game.

They will NOT forgo the ticket sales at McNeese and the potential earnings that venue can bring in play a game in an empty stadium that will not bring a 10th of the revenue that McNeese fans will bring.

Montana will host a Gateway team and Portland travels to LC.

McNeese submitted a VERY VERY strong financial package to the NCAA to host a first round game.

McNeese and Montana may play, but the NCAA would not want that to happen in week one.

Top 4 seeds are locks, but $$$$ ta

nmatsen
Like this one?

From an earlier post on AGS:

"I remember speaking to an ex-McNeese coach who was (and is) coaching at NW State the week after they went to Wash/Griz in 2002 for the playoffs. His comment was "It was loud as hell and then when that damn bear rode out on a Harley, the place went crazy and all I could think was - Were gonna get out ass kicked".

I played at Wash Griz a week later in the Semi's. We had our heads shoved so far up our A$$ES we got smoke 38-0. Would we have won that game somewhere else? Who knows, they were a fantastic football team but they weren't 38-0 in the semi's good on the road. It was all about the environment.

McTailGator

NCAA views McNeese and Lake Charles as a venue they want to see host a game.

They will NOT forgo the ticket sales at McNeese and the potential earnings that venue can bring in play a game in an empty stadium that will not bring a 10th of the revenue that McNeese fans will bring.

Montana will host a Gateway team and Portland travels to LC.

McNeese submitted a VERY VERY strong financial package to the NCAA to host a first round game.

McNeese and Montana may play, but the NCAA would not want that to happen in week one.

Top 4 seeds are locks, but $$$$ talks for the other 4 games.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Indeed they have changed. Montana has a much larger stadium as well as a much larger home field advantage now than they did in 1995. See 2006 Brawl of the Wild for example.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2006, 11:26 AM

TN-Martin @ #1 App State
Furman @ Coastal

EIU @ SIU

McNeese St. @ #2 Montana
PSU @ IL State

Lafayette @ #3 UMass
UNH @ Hampton

Not sure about the matchups but I agree completely with the teams.

MylesKnight
November 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM
What about the idea of Four from the Gateway?

Chances on this happening? 50/50? 25/75?

McTailGator
November 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM

It's NOT about records past the first 4 seeds, and McNeese's schedule was VERY difficult regardless.

McNeese fills the house.

THAT WILL BE WHAT DECIDES THE LAST 4 HOME GAMES in week one.

McTailGator
November 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
CCU @ App St*
UNH @ Furman
Lafayette @ UMass*
Hampton @ JMU
UTM @ YSU*
EIU @ ISU
SIU @ McNeese St
PSU @ Montana

PSU and Montana can not meet in round one (same conference rule)

PSU travels to McNeese, and SIU goes to Montana.

Both McNeese and Montana's fans pay big bucks to attend their teams home games and the NCAA will want $$$$$$$$ from as many games as possible.

ISUMatt
November 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
PSU and Montana can not meet in round one (same conference rule)

PSU travels to McNeese, and SIU goes to Montana.

Both McNeese and Montana's fans pay big bucks to attend their teams home games and the NCAA will want $$$$$$$$ from as many games as possible.

Thanks captain obvious, that was pointed out LAST NIGHT!!! :smiley_wi

Thanks I have changed my predictions since

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
SIU will not go to Montana... UT Martin... use some logic in your posts please. I can't stand ignorance.

lucchesicourt
November 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
UCD is not your normal .500 team as their losses have been to NDSU, Cal Poly, SDSU, Younstown State, and TCU (1A). Hardly 5 losses that are too poor teams.

MSU2001
November 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Can't believe nobody saw that Furman @ Montana St. game coming.xlolx :rotateh:

McTailGator
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Can't believe nobody saw that Furman @ Montana St. game coming.xlolx :rotateh:

Well, many picked PSU over you guy's but, I'm looking forward to the trip out west!

I will be there...

Although, I think the NCAA is screwing themselves out of some money by placing McNeese and Montana in the same bracket. I think this is my only chance to get to experience Wash-Griz.

Someone ice down the Moose Drool!

Cincy App
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
JMU will not be on the road because our bid will be one of the highest, if not the highest of all the non seeded teams.

Well, it's a surprise to me also but never guarantee what the Committee will do! It looks like JMU was drawn to Youngstown to be the featured first round game for ESPN2.