PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell Sets NCAA Record in 31-28 Win over Colgate

bison137
November 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Well, it may not be much of a record but it means a lot to the team I'm sure. The Bison set the record for the most wins (six) in a regular season without ever winning two games in a row. :) (It is possible they only tied it but I'm not about to research it.) They started with a 31-28 win, ended with a 31-28 win, and alternated wins and losses for the whole season - finishing way ahead of where any of the prognosticators had them.

I'm also happy because I took some good-natured abuse on this board back in August when I picked the Bison, who were 1-10 last year and 0-6 in the PL, to go 3-3 in the league and get 6 wins overall. With this win, they tied Colgate in the league at 3-3 and ended up 6-5 overall. They also had a significant statistical edge today and managed to effectively run out the last 6:30 from the clock with a fourteen play drive that included thirteen running plays and one screen pass.

Better yet for us suffering Bison fans, for the first time since the great late Tom Gadd was coaching, there's a lot of hope for the future. Fifteen starters return next year and a ton of freshmen played key roles this year. In fact, two freshmen QB's started ten of this season's eleven games between them. Overall, nine different freshmen started games for the Bison this year, including six who started all of the recent games including today's game. The current two-deep has fifteen frosh on it, and there are three others who were on it earlier before injuries took them off of it.

The competition this spring for the starting QB job should be interesting. Freshman Andrew Lair, who left Navy after its summer program the previous year to help his family recover from Katrina, was the starter for four games before being hurt. Terrence Wilson,who was the starter last year before being hurt, was Lair's replacement as starter but he too got hurt. That led to another true freshman, Marcello Trigg, starting the last six games. He had his best game of the season today.

The keys for the Bison next year will be to replace a couple of offensive linemen and to bulk up a couple of defensive linemen (or possibly replace a couple of them, since three frosh were the backups this year). With a bit of luck in those areas, the Bison could surprise some people next year.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
That must have been done a number of times before.

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well, it may not be much of a record but it means a lot to the team I'm sure. The Bison set the record for the most wins (six) in a regular season without ever winning two games in a row. :) (It is possible they only tied it but I'm not about to research it.) They started with a 31-28 win, ended with a 31-28 win, and alternated wins and losses for the whole season - finishing way ahead of where any of the prognosticators had them.

I'm also happy because I took some good-natured abuse on this board back in August when I picked the Bison, who were 1-10 last year and 0-6 in the PL, to go 3-3 in the league and get 6 wins overall. With this win, they tied Colgate in the league at 3-3 and ended up 6-5 overall. They also had a significant statistical edge today and managed to effectively run out the last 6:30 from the clock with a fourteen play drive that included thirteen running plays and one screen pass.

Better yet for us suffering Bison fans, for the first time since the great late Tom Gadd was coaching, there's a lot of hope for the future. Fifteen starters return next year and a ton of freshmen played key roles this year. In fact, two freshmen QB's started ten of this season's eleven games between them. Overall, nine different freshmen started games for the Bison this year, including six who started all of the recent games including today's game. The current two-deep has fifteen frosh on it, and there are three others who were on it earlier before injuries took them off of it.

The competition this spring for the starting QB job should be interesting. Freshman Andrew Lair, who left Navy after its summer program the previous year to help his family recover from Katrina, was the starter for four games before being hurt. Terrence Wilson,who was the starter last year before being hurt, was Lair's replacement as starter but he too got hurt. That led to another true freshman, Marcello Trigg, starting the last six games. He had his best game of the season today.

The keys for the Bison next year will be to replace a couple of offensive linemen and to bulk up a couple of defensive linemen (or possibly replace a couple of them, since three frosh were the backups this year). With a bit of luck in those areas, the Bison could surprise some people next year.

Congratulations on your winning season. Going from 1-10 to 6-5 is a great accomplishment.

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Congratulations on your winning season. Going from 1-10 to 6-5 is a great accomplishment.

Bucknell and Liberty, from 1-10 to 6-5. Good job by both teams. Interesting stats for Bucknell. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bison137
November 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
That must have been done a number of times before.

It may well have happened before, but I doubt if it has been done often. First of all, it could only have happened since schedules were expanded to eleven games, so that rules out much of football history. Then, if every game were a toss-up, the probability of a given team winning every odd game and losing every even game would be one out of every 2048 seasons. But since every game is not a toss-up, I believe that the odds of eleven straight games alternating like that become even longer since a team may be a significant favorite in one or more of the even weeks or a signficant underdog in one or more of the odd weeks.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
nice turn around, indeed!

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Good job Bison! You guys are certainly on the way up...

ngineer
November 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Great win for the Bison. Another team on the rise. a very good turnaround and much hope for the future. Next year will be a very, very interesting season I can see already. With Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh (formerly the 'Big 3') all having mediocre seasons, and HC and BU showing great improvement, 2007 could be one hell of a scramble.

blukeys
November 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Congrats to the Bison. I remember when Bucknell was a big time Lambert Cup contender (1962-63) and the big time rival of the Hens. Best of luck to you in the PL in the future!!!