PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Louisiana Hires Blake Williams as DC

lionsrking2
February 24th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Former Rams DC, and son Gregg Williams. Not very often you get a chance to hire a young coach who's been a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL ... Williams will take control of a ready-made defense that has a chance to be one of the best (if not THE BEST) defenses in the country ... Roberts hinted at a home run and has delivered. Spring practice starts today!

http://lionsports.net/news/2015/2/24/FB_0224155208.aspx

http://lionsports.net/images/2015/2/24/rp_primary_blake_williams_web.jpg

RabidRabbit
February 24th, 2015, 02:43 PM
SE LA keeps getting better positioned for continuous play-off selections. Loved the Southland/Dakotas connections over the years as home/home. Hope to see more of those in the future.

lionsrking2
February 24th, 2015, 02:47 PM
SE LA keeps getting better positioned for continuous play-off selections. Loved the Southland/Dakotas connections over the years as home/home. Hope to see more of those in the future.

Would love to see us play again RR! Loved the trip to Brookings a couple of years ago ... tons of respect for the SDSU program!!!!

Sammy94
February 25th, 2015, 08:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/gregg-williams-son-takes-tumble-nfl-division-ii-161802504--nfl.html

"Blake Williams, according to the source, was fired in part because of a brusque, tactless style in dealing with colleagues and players..."

Sounds like it will be the perfect match.

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2015, 08:39 AM
LOL! It should help with dealing with the influx of transfers every year and make the kids who leave do so with a clean conscience....

Probably won't help the APR much, though....

McNeese75
February 25th, 2015, 11:01 AM
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/3/3832432/nfl-coaching-rumors-2013-blake-williams-rams-adrian-peterson

I can think of a few RB's in the FCS that could cause him issues.

lionsrking2
February 25th, 2015, 11:12 AM
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/3/3832432/nfl-coaching-rumors-2013-blake-williams-rams-adrian-peterson

I'm sure you're right, considering the SLC is loaded with Adrian Peterson clones. ;)

Sammy94
February 25th, 2015, 11:14 AM

I can think of a few QB's that could also.

McNeese75
February 25th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I'm sure you're right, considering the SLC is loaded with Adrian Peterson clones. ;)

And considering the SELU defense looks like the Rams :D

Danco
February 26th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I stopped by to watch SELA practice yesterday. From what I have seen so far, not a lot of reduction in ability from last year. Both SHSU and McNeese have well developed programs year after year. I am looking forward to seeing if SELA can hang with you big dogs once again. Not sure how the Louisiana Schools can compete with Jindal in office (Considering the budget lashing both McNeese and SELA are taking). In the mean time - SHSU better keep their eyes on Central Arkansas. That Head Coach over there has put some meat on the hoof. If I had to guess - there will be some smash mouth football being played in the Southland Conference again next year. May the best team(s) win. Good luck to you guys.

lionsrking2
February 27th, 2015, 01:47 AM
I stopped by to watch SELA practice yesterday. From what I have seen so far, not a lot of reduction in ability from last year. Both SHSU and McNeese have well developed programs year after year. I am looking forward to seeing if SELA can hang with you big dogs once again. Not sure how the Louisiana Schools can compete with Jindal in office (Considering the budget lashing both McNeese and SELA are taking). In the mean time - SHSU better keep their eyes on Central Arkansas. That Head Coach over there has put some meat on the hoof. If I had to guess - there will be some smash mouth football being played in the Southland Conference again next year. May the best team(s) win. Good luck to you guys.

Come on Danco, we don't have B-Rabbit anymore ... it was a good run while it lasted. xeyebrowx

BEAR
February 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I had the opportunity to see these players in person recently. This new coach has a vastly different mindset than Conque. Massive O-line players and an emphasis on getting defense. He likes height it seems too. Conque was GREAT at finding those diamonds in the rough. Campbell seems to like going with proven players. Fans are excited but unsure. It’s a change. Check out the size of some of these recruits and returning players.

WR
Jacquez McMillian 6’4” WR JUCO transfer
Brady Moore 6’6” WR JUCO transfer
Brandon Cox 5’9” WR ASU transfer (Conway native)
Courtney Whitehead 6’3” 217 Jr.
(4 or 5 more WR at 6’2” or so)

QB
Taylor Reed 6’3” 215 Sr. Memphis and Arkansas transfer
Hayden Hildebrand 6’3” 196 So.
Kolton Harfield 6’7” QB Fr.
Kirk Baugh 6’2” QB

OL
Sam Dunbar 6’7” 300lb Fr.
Hunter Lee 6’6” 290lb Fr.
Will Jones 6’5” 295 Fr.
Lance Kloker 6’5” 288 Jr.
Kyle Stouffer 6’7” 316 Jr.

TE
Zach Gougler 6’4” 255 JUCO transfer
Scott Matiaha 6’4” 250 JUCO transfer
Justin Dickey 6’5” 235 Sr.

DL
Rickey Dobbins 6’2” 315 Fr.
Chris Terrell 6’3” 260 Fr.
Javian Williams 6’3” 370 JUCO transfer
Rostell King 6’3” 300 JUCO transfer

DE
Jonathan Woodard 6’6” 271 Sr.
Thomas Loving 6’5” 268 Fr.
Bailey McIver 6’4” 244 Jr.

Linebackers & DBACKS
More recruited than I care to list. UCA was probably dead last in defense in the FCS last year. This defense class was BADLY NEEDED.

Danco
February 27th, 2015, 05:20 PM
UCA will have a good team. Everyone at SELA knows Steve. A great guy, a great coach. A product of the SELA Nation as they say in Sam Houston.

lionsrking2
February 27th, 2015, 05:40 PM
UCA will have a good team. Everyone at SELA knows Steve. A great guy, a great coach. A product of the SELA Nation as they say in Sam Houston.

Steve is a good guy and a good football coach. He likes big players just like Ron does, and always recruited size at Delta State and Miss Gulf Coast. He was the only coach willing to take a chance on Terrance Cody who was considered by most to be too big and slow to play college football. Of course rest is history as he went on to be an All American nose tackle at Alabama and NFL.

BEAR
February 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I'm glad you guys are familiar with him. What kind of offense and defense does he run? Not sure from last year as he changed it so much last year. (Sorry about the thread derail. I'm ready for spring football! )

lionsrking2
February 28th, 2015, 12:35 AM
I'm glad you guys are familiar with him. What kind of offense and defense does he run? Not sure from last year as he changed it so much last year. (Sorry about the thread derail. I'm ready for spring football! )

Over the years, he's been a spread guy with an emphasis on running the football. He's always had good offenses wherever he's been. I'm sure this past season he played the hand he was dealt and adapted accordingly but you'll probably see more of what he likes to do this year now that he's had a full recruiting class to bring in his style of players. He played center at Southeastern as a freshman and sophomore, the last two years we had football prior to dropping it after the 1985 season.